RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old March 22nd, 2017, 03:29 AM   #5481
RiffRanger
Totally Uncalled For

Campea liking the movie is like the end of the after school special when the bully who's been tormenting you all year admits he only did it because he was jealous of how cool you are.

Seriously, this is why all of these reviews that seem to hate the movie solely on principle bother me. If even John Campea, who has spent the last three years managing to work into every single conversation about the movie a dig about how he thinks it's a horrible idea to make a Power Rangers movie can admit he liked it, surely these other critics hating the movie only because of what it's based on could see something positive.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 03:30 AM   #5482
Toku Ranger
Live a Toku.

Do you guys think there'll be a director's cut released?
Old March 22nd, 2017, 03:31 AM   #5483
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMTIRED View Post
I think I might go to the theater for the first time in ten years and see this. It's released here in Australia tomorrow!
Wait, you haven't been to a cinema since 2007?
Old March 22nd, 2017, 03:33 AM   #5484
rockeith
Phantom Gold Ranger

Dean Israelite said in an interview that there wouldn't be a director's cut but there would be deleted scenes for the Blu Ray release.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 04:17 AM   #5485
Peter
On vacation.

Quote:
Someone needs to fix the movie listing for the cinema here in Brisbane.
You're in Brisbane? Cool. I have a ticket tomorrow morning for the first session up here on the Sunshine Coast. So in 12 hours, I'll be sitting there watching the movie.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 04:31 AM   #5486
IMTIRED
Power Ranger fan on Kauai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalineRush View Post
Wait, you haven't been to a cinema since 2007?
Well, when was Coraline released? That's the last movie I saw in a theater. I'm like the only human who doesn't list "movies" as one of their interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
You're in Brisbane? Cool. I have a ticket tomorrow morning for the first session up here on the Sunshine Coast. So in 12 hours, I'll be sitting there watching the movie.
Yeah I recently moved to Australia. It's playing here at the neighborhood cinema in the early afternoon. I'm considering going but I have anxiety about being stuck in a theater for two hours when I know I'll have to pee like 6 times. And there will be people.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:08 AM   #5487
starsoldier08
Power Ranger

I'm extremely excited - I've got my tickets for tomorrow at 7PM. That BOGO coupon from Atom Tickets was a great deal.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:11 AM   #5488
BlueSenshi
Balance is EVERYTHING!

Den of geek review on PR movie http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/p...rangers-review its a good one!
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:12 AM   #5489
Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!

eBay
Well, this latest TV spot isn't subtle in the slightest.

Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:17 AM   #5490
RiffRanger
Totally Uncalled For

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkvoodle View Post
Well, this latest TV spot isn't subtle in the slightest.

I do love how they seem to tackle the comparisons to Iron Man and Transformers head-on.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:21 AM   #5491
RedPowerRanger93
Power Ranger

Right now it's 1 PM here in Denmark. Do you guys know when we'll be able to see photos from the red carpet tonight? I'm so excited about the possibility of seeing JDF and ASJ together.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:42 AM   #5492
Paul-Agnew
Power-Ranger

It's Movie Time!

Just got back from the Australian VIP premiere.

MINOR SPOILERS (duh)

The film was fantastic. Loved the references to previous seasons (such as Zeo and Lightspeed Rescue). There are at least two Transformers references, featuring two characters from two different series. It was also pretty awesome to see them cover new ground by having one Ranger Autistic and another LGBT (no I won't say who they were, you'll have to see for yourselves). On the downside, the film has a rather... blunt product placement. Though annoying, they do make a laugh out of it.

Last edited by Paul-Agnew; March 22nd, 2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:43 AM   #5493
RiffRanger
Totally Uncalled For

The bulk of the movie's reviews should come out today and tomorrow. I'm really hoping it doesn't drop too dramatically.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:54 AM   #5494
hasso_opitz
Xiao the Uchu Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffRanger View Post
Campea liking the movie is like the end of the after school special when the bully who's been tormenting you all year admits he only did it because he was jealous of how cool you are.

Seriously, this is why all of these reviews that seem to hate the movie solely on principle bother me. If even John Campea, who has spent the last three years managing to work into every single conversation about the movie a dig about how he thinks it's a horrible idea to make a Power Rangers movie can admit he liked it, surely these other critics hating the movie only because of what it's based on could see something positive.
The problem with your theory is a point I've brought up previously (people ignore what's hard to argue). The Lego Movie. 8 years ago, especially this fandom, would say a Power Rangers movie based on Power Rangers would be better than a Lego Movie based on Legos. The idea hardly had any positive feedback when announced. Then people saw it.

I do wonder, overall, which movie I'll end up liking better. It really tells me that critics aren't necessarily hating on this movie simply because of what it's based on. That doesn't make sense.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 06:00 AM   #5495
eternalstarlight
SentaiRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toku Ranger View Post
How much action did it have?
Hmmm, let me put it this way,

It was less than what I would have wanted, but for the most part, they delivered. The unmorphed adventure/training/fight scenes are fine, but the morphed ones could have been much more epic in scale, if you know what I mean. The zord/megazord battle was a treat though.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 06:01 AM   #5496
wildwing64
It's-a-Morphin Time!

Quote:
I'm considering going but I have anxiety about being stuck in a theater for two hours when I know I'll have to pee like 6 times. And there will be people.
I know the feeling all too well. From personal experience: take the aisle seat, and avoid caffeine.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 06:25 AM   #5497
betweenplaces
Power Ranger

Finally got a listing in my area for tomorrow so I got my ticket booked. Apparently the theater closest to me is switching from being a Carmike to an AMC which caused confusion when searching. Probably going by myself, but oh well.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 06:28 AM   #5498
RiffRanger
Totally Uncalled For

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasso_opitz View Post
The problem with your theory is a point I've brought up previously (people ignore what's hard to argue). The Lego Movie. 8 years ago, especially this fandom, would say a Power Rangers movie based on Power Rangers would be better than a Lego Movie based on Legos. The idea hardly had any positive feedback when announced. Then people saw it.

I do wonder, overall, which movie I'll end up liking better. It really tells me that critics aren't necessarily hating on this movie simply because of what it's based on. That doesn't make sense.
I'm not saying every negative review is unfairly biased. Most of them are fair and praise the movie where it deserves to be praised. But there are some written by people who clearly didn't want to like the movie and were never going to give it an unbiased review.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 06:31 AM   #5499
⚡Dukemon

Such is the nature of film critics. Criticism is a great thing to have as a film maker or as an actor, when it comes to your peers, because it comes from a place of artistry. But regardless, I think the reviews are actually pretty good for this film.

On a semi-related note, just about every major theater around me in New York has doubled their showings for the film. That means it's selling well.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 06:34 AM   #5500
⚡Titanium321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Joker View Post
I'd rather know what John Cena thinks of it. I mean, can he see it?
The question is, can it see him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasso_opitz View Post
The problem with this "who would have thought the lego movie would work" scenario is it relies on ignoring the success of Lego versions of stuff throughout the years. Lego Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Bionicle, the video games and movies, and TV Shows. It really shouldn't have been surprising or questionable if the Lego Movie was going to work. That's just purposefully avoiding Lego's popularity both as a toy and franchise to make that claim in the first place.
Closed Thread

Tags
2017, power rangers movie, use spoiler tags.