RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old March 4th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #4001
Kaigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Buttus View Post
I could see them pulling a Star Trek Beyond and making Billy gay.
And then he'll shoot himself and Zack will start selling drugs.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #4002
GreenMystechRanger
Rumble Tusk Greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigan View Post
And then he'll shoot himself and Zack will start selling drugs.
Someone should make that a thing!
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #4003
Kaigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBeastFist View Post
Someone should make that a thing!
Just a reminder that without his little project this movie wouldn't exist. Everyone thank Satan.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:37 PM   #4004
Xenotome
★Morgan McMichaels★

Quote:
Just a reminder that without his little project this movie wouldn't exist. Everyone thank Satan.
Except the film was formally announced in May of 2014, that didn't come out until February 2015.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:37 PM   #4005
RiffRanger
Totally Uncalled For

Everyone likes to shit on Power/Rangers, but if anything, it was a good proof of concept. It showed that not only could the basic elements of Power Rangers be translated into a more mature format but also that there was interest from the general public in such a thing. Yes, it was far too extreme, but there's no way the makers of this movie didn't see the reaction to the fan film and think that it was a mandate to be more mature.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:38 PM   #4006
Kaigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenotome View Post
Except the film was formally announced in May of 2014, that didn't come out until February 2015.
That's the joke.

Kahn thinks his film influenced the movie when the movie was in development way before his piece of shit came out.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:38 PM   #4007
Xenotome
★Morgan McMichaels★

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffRanger View Post
Everyone likes to shit on Power/Rangers, but if anything, it was a good proof of concept. It showed that not only could the basic elements of Power Rangers be translated into a more mature format but also that there was interest from the general public in such a thing. Yes, it was far too extreme, but there's no way the makers of this movie didn't see the reaction to the fan film and think that it was a mandate to be more mature.
I think observing the landscape of superhero movies for the last decade told them what type of movie this needed to be, not Power/Rangers.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:39 PM   #4008
RiffRanger
Totally Uncalled For

Quote:
The fan film came out during the transition from Orci, Stentz, and Miller to Dean Isrealite and the current production and writing team. I guarantee the fan film influenced the direction they took from there.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:40 PM   #4009
Kaigan

I'm 100% sure they were going to be more mature straight from the beginning.

Quote:
The fan film came out during the transition from Orci, Stentz, and Miller to Dean Isrealite and the current production and writing team. I guarantee the fan film influenced the direction they took from there.
I guarantee it didn't at all.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:40 PM   #4010
zeogo
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Buttus View Post
I could see them pulling a Star Trek Beyond and making Billy gay.
I'm thinking if we have the previews to go by, it will most likely be Zach. Let's see....
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #4011
Kaigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeogo View Post
I'm thinking if we have the previews to go by, it will most likely be Zach. Let's see....
Okay wait what? What out of anything we've seen has given you any indication whatsoever that Zack is gay?
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #4012
Xenotome
★Morgan McMichaels★

Quote:
So you think before then they were going to be making an expensive version of the TV show? We already saw two of them and they didn't perform too hot. That was never going to be what this movie was, "Fan" film or not.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #4013
⚡Dukemon

Quote:
I don't. It was a piece of crap and no one can convince me otherwise lol.

On the topic of LGBT characters, it would be insulting, not progressive if Billy was gay. Same as it was for Sulu.

Literally any other character I'm fine with. Making a character gay or straight because the actor who originated the role is gay or straight is an insult to their portrayal of the character.

It's pandering, and pandering doesn't help progress.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:44 PM   #4014
Xenotome
★Morgan McMichaels★

Quote:
Okay wait what? What out of anything we've seen has given you any indication whatsoever that Zack is gay?
My fantasies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukemon View Post
I don't. It was a piece of crap and no one can convince me otherwise lol.

On the topic of LGBT characters, it would be insulting, not progressive if Billy was gay. Same as it was for Sulu.

Literally any other character I'm fine with. Making a character gay or straight because the actor who originated the role is gay or straight is an insult to their portrayal of the character.

It's pandering, and pandering doesn't help progress.
I don't view it as insulting, but I do view it as heavy handed.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #4015
RiffRanger
Totally Uncalled For

Quote:
So you think before then they were going to be making an expensive version of the TV show? We already saw two of them and they didn't perform too hot. That was never going to be what this movie was, "Fan" film or not.
I think Saban was more willing to let go of the reigns after he saw how positively the general public reacted to Power/Rangers. He had that conversation with Orci which amounted to "don't fuck with my baby." At the very least, I think the fan film showed them it could be done. If nothing else, it gave them more confidence in what they were doing.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #4016
⚡Dukemon

Quote:
My fantasies.

I don't view it as insulting, but I do view it as heavy handed.
Insulting was a poor word choice on my part. Heavy handed is a better term.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #4017
RiffRanger
Totally Uncalled For

I think if any of these characters is LGBT, it's Trini.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:48 PM   #4018
GreenMystechRanger
Rumble Tusk Greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeogo View Post
...The ranger we've seen least of? What?
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:49 PM   #4019
Xenotome
★Morgan McMichaels★

Quote:
I think Saban was more willing to let go of the reigns after he saw how positively the general public reacted to Power/Rangers. He had that conversation with Orci which amounted to "don't fuck with my baby." At the very least, I think the fan film showed them it could be done. If nothing else, it gave them more confidence in what they were doing.
Saban literally hated that "fan" film with all of their being. That does not instill confidence, it makes you clamp down harder. That film didn't demonstrate a damn thing, it was an exercise in every single wrong decision. Blood, Gore, and Sex for the sake of it. The only positive reactions out there were "THIS IS TOTALLY WHAT THE MOVIE SHOULD BE!" and we can clearly see that is not what this movie is.

Lionsgate would of never put the money down on the movie had Saban limited them to barely above what the show did. It never would happened.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #4020
⚡Dukemon

Quote:
Saban literally hated that "fan" film with all of their being. That does not instill confidence, it makes you clamp down harder. That film didn't demonstrate a damn thing, it was an exercise in every single wrong decision. Blood, Gore, and Sex for the sake of it. The only positive reactions out there were "THIS IS TOTALLY WHAT THE MOVIE SHOULD BE!" and we can clearly see that is not what this movie is.

Lionsgate would of never put the money down on the movie had Saban limited them to barely above what the show did. It never would happened.
Yep. Saban knows how to make money. We were always going to get a Pg 13 movie. It's the most profitable. That had zero to do with that film releasing.

If they were going the kids route, they would have just made a Dino Charge movie or something.
Closed Thread

Tags
2017, power rangers movie, use spoiler tags.