Home Menu

Menu

View Poll Results: If I were to bring back a weekend watch (as a marathon method), what would you want?
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers" 10 19.61%
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers"
10 19.61%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3" 5 9.80%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3"
5 9.80%
Kamen Rider Fourze 14 27.45%
Kamen Rider Fourze
14 27.45%
Avatar: The Last Airbender 13 25.49%
13 25.49%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97) 8 15.69%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97)
8 15.69%
Other (Say what in the thread) 1 1.96%
Other (Say what in the thread)
1 1.96%
Votes: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 14th, 2019, 08:02 PM #3841
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Fair enough, and like you said itís fun to see them just have a casual conversation in the heat of battle (another example I liked was one of the early episodes of Futari where the girls are just pounding the crap out of Gekidrago while at the same time carrying on their argument from earlier).

Itís especially good when you consider that aside from maybe a passing familiarity due to attending the same school these two started out as complete strangers that probably would have never even had anything to do with each other if not for the circumstances leading to them suddenly becoming superheroes. You could also say that it was thanks to Nagisa that Honoka was able to come out of her shell as much as she did.

Provided it was handled well Iíd like to see a dynamic like that come back one day.

Last edited by Akiba Black; August 14th, 2019 at 08:33 PM.
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:12 PM #3842
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Seriously, was Kinji just wearing that ninja outfit under there all this time?
A ninja must always be prepared in plain sight, or something.

when pushed to the brink of taking dark power for the sake of revenge, Kinji finally realizes that revenge isn't worth it and that this isn't about personal vendetta anymore but in helping his teammates and saving the world from the Yokai in general.
Yeah, sounds just like Fiveman. (We're talking about Fiveman, right?) Gaku and siblings had been dedicated but the sudden onset of the Zone invasion really brought out their vengeful desires, and Gaku saw just how it made them irrational, steering them towards a more productive angle.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 07:36 PM #3843
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

Itís especially good when you consider that aside from maybe a passing familiarity due to attending the same school these two started out as complete strangers that probably would have never even had anything to do with each other if not for the circumstances leading to them suddenly becoming superheroes. You could also say that it was thanks to Nagisa that Honoka was able to come out of her shell as much as she did.

Provided it was handled well Iíd like to see a dynamic like that come back one day.
It's the sort of thing I wouldn't mind being done again in the franchise...I just wonder if Toei has it in them to do it. Like a three-person Sentai squad, a duo Cure team seems to be something they want to leave in the past because it means less toys and less dolls and stuff to market to kids and whatnot. Let alone the problems of standardizing the franchise is that it seems to take a shape that's nothing like what it started as: I don't think seeing Nagisa that we'd have the likes of Mirai, Megumi or Mana as lead Cures at this point...which is both a good and bad thing sadly since there are more of the "genki girl does good" types than the Nagisa/Hibiki types as leads these days. (Probably because cute sells for girl stories)

timegold wrote: View Post

Yeah, sounds just like Fiveman. (We're talking about Fiveman, right?) .
No...Fiveman was the next one. I stand by Liveman here.

-----

Transformers: Super-God MasterForce - Ep. 28: Overlord - Terror of the Chokon Tornado

There really needs to be a ban on racing in your Transtector...on foot at least.

After the failures against God Ginrai with last episode, Giga and Mega know that they have to work out some way to defeat their new opponent, made all the more with how they want to impress BlackZarak and get them on their and Devil Z's side. Their latest scheme sort of goes back a few episodes to the last defeat that Ginrai had prior to his God Ginrai upgrade, luring him into the desert by way of an attack on an oil platform and then assaulting him after luring him further with the Godmaster brothers, mostly as a means to get Ginrai there so that he can fall pray to the attack. It's mostly an easy battle for Ginrai until Giga sort of holds him up and it becomes a problem even for his big hyped form. But then...somehow another surprise for Ginrai is revealed as Godbomber...shows that he has a robot form as well. Really I'm not sure why we need another sentient robot (especially since there's a lot of rules regarding how sentience is created prior to the old days and it just feels like another excuse for Ginrai to just keep getting more stuff despite no one else really getting anything on the Autobot side. Oh and the titled "Chokon Tornado" in the title...actually that has a funny resolution: Overlord tries to trap Ginrai in said tornado, but he just fires a rocket punch that...somehow also has sentience...and then gets under the tornado hitting it and thus freeing him? I'm not sure how the directional action for the fist goes but I did like the strategy regardless. The only other notables in this episode is the Headmaster Jrs, who actually are now Godbomber's pilots and can use it as a transport to get to the scene faster...though you'd wonder why the kids and not the other Godmasters, but of course this is a kids show and they have to have preferential treatment sadly.

Jikuu Senshi Spielban: Ep. 28: Good Day, Baby; a 23rd Century Lesson

Leave it to Guillotine to ruin the 23rd century with a device that won't be relevant in 30 years or so.

Sometimes I sort of wonder what goes through the mind of Emperor Guillotine when he comes up with schemes to crush Spielban and conquer the planet, especially considering the original intent was to make sure Waller destroyed the world by ruining it's water supply. This time around, his plan is to directly affect the 23rd century by changing human behavior: setting up birthing clinics, the Waller actually use Queen Pandora to lead a class where women are told this meditative chant that has the effect of making them lazy; but not only them but their unborn child will also be affected by this laziness mantra sort of ruining them before they even have a chance to be born! The chant is further distributed by CDs throughout the city, which of course clues Spielban in on where the source of the problem is and where he has to go to deal with it. The ridiculous thing about this episode is that obviously Spielban catches on and takes care of the Waller, but the one who takes the lost the worst is actually General Deathzero, mostly because he ends up taunting Spielban in the midst of the hunt which they consider as a means of just alerting Spielban that they were behind it and thus they need to be stopped...which I think is dumb in that considering that Pandora herself was part of the scheme and Spielban recognized her voice, wouldn't that have clued him in that this was a Waller threat? And again: is it just me or is this whole thing about ruining planets for water not even a thing for Guillotine?

Oh and 28 episodes in, the series FINALLY remembers that Grand Nazca has a robot formation...which is hilarious because it's been in the ending since day one and this is the first time Spielban actually uses it!

=====

Shuriken Sentai Ninninger: Shinobi 28: Race to It! The Kibaoni Ninja Squad

I think the kid's hatred of ninjas has to do with Bandai's reasons as to why this season failed.

Rivalry: many Super Sentai in the past have been driven by rivalries that allow for the story to be told accordingly: the Dai and the Gorma, the Hayate and Ikazuchi, the Geki-Juken Beast Arts and the Rinjuken Akugata. All these rivalries lead for captivating (or confusing) seasons manipulating powers that are different yet similar in their construction and means. And now...somehow Ninninger decides to throw it's hat into the ring with the introduction of Kyuemon's own ninja squadron, permitted due to probably the failure of all the Yokai as of late and the Kibaoni desperation to get something that gets them the fear they need for Gengetsu's return. It's a neat concept and it actually has a scary and cool first plot, involving a falcon ninja who appears to take a pre-school hostage and the Ninninger believing they have to break in to save the kids only to find out it's all a trick and the Ninninger helped in getting the actual fear from the kids by way of a bus trip. My only real concern is that this season seems to want to homage nearly every Sentai prior to it and in doing so it feels like it's having a hard time figuring out it's own identity, especially with how we've gone from Shinkenger with the Raizo Gabi arc, to a Showa Sentai with hints of Gaoranger with the stuff with Mangetsu and Lion Ha-Oh; to last arc having hints of Magiranger and Liveman...to just something that wants to basically be a confrontation showdown series. (oh and to make it weirder, we also get Fiveman-style talking dolls and even a hint of the beginnings of dance endings with the Ninninger ending being done like Sun Vulcan's dance bit; we even get a ToQ-style roll call while running!) I do like this episode (and heck it has been the best one in a while), but I think that Ninninger's intentional schitzophrenia in wanting to be it's own Sentai yet every other Sentai ever just doesn't seem to help it out.

Oh and we get another bizarre twist: Tsugumi, Takaharu and Fuuka's father, isn't just a dud...his power was taken by Kyuemon...I dunno if I really like the direction this is going with that.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 10:03 PM #3844
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

I think the kid's hatred of ninjas has to do with Bandai's reasons as to why this season failed.
Maybe if this kid didn't care that Bandai had a bunch of uncoordinated collectibles (or even unappealing collectibles) when Bandai is of the mentality that collectible gimmicks are a necessity, then the kid can tell them to stop extrapolating a bad result and not to assume certain factors are correlated.

Oh and we get another bizarre twist: Tsugumi, Takaharu and Fuuka's father, isn't just a dud...his power was taken by Kyuemon...I dunno if I really like the direction this is going with that.
On the flip side, people were thinking this season would be an homage to Naruto which was just ending. Well, guess which ninja became a daddy. As for this, it is one way of playing along the themes of other family Sentai, without directly homaging them (none of those did this twist). Though this revelation does improve the past episode when they tried to make the dad feel better.
Old August 17th, 2019, 05:06 PM #3845
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

timegold wrote: View Post

On the flip side, people were thinking this season would be an homage to Naruto which was just ending. Well, guess which ninja became a daddy. As for this, it is one way of playing along the themes of other family Sentai, without directly homaging them (none of those did this twist). Though this revelation does improve the past episode when they tried to make the dad feel better.
It does add more to it...but at the same time it feels cheating in that there just can't be duds or those without power in these sorts of families; everyone has to have it regardless. And somehow I like the idea more that Tsugumi was just a dud who potentially had power in him but it wasn't something he could draw upon as we saw in that one episode.

-----

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Stage 15: Cheering Mao

Really, Honoka being taken by Coco to a park naemd after Clovis? Are you sure Cornelia shouldn't have taken it over?

The situation with Shirley and what happened with Mao sort of shows that Lelouch isn't really going to have a happy ending due to the power he gained by way of the Geass. And it's sort of furthered along by the case of Mao himself, who was a previous person that somehow C.C. had made a contract with to help her out but became obsessed with her in the process. The whole thing actually is a lot more tragic than it initially lets on, mostly because Mao sort of has multiple problems despite having a Geass that allows him to read minds from 500 meters away or closer: one is that he can't turn that power off and he has to hear all people at all times as long as he isn't listening to a recording of C.C. to keep him calm. The other is when C.C. gave Mao the power, giving the Chinese boy when he was 6 and thus having him never really grow up; his irrationality and obsession in "love" is less love and more a boy trying to cling to a mother he also wants as a lover. The whole thing is supremely tragic and just further shows that Mao is a test case as to why the Geass power just only brings tragedy to all that possess it, including the granter such as C.C. In the end, the granter tries to confront Mao regarding the situation and is willing to take him back to help him regain his sanity...but as usual Lelouch has to butt in, not just appearing to broadcast to find out Mao's intention but revaling said broadcast was a recording before having Mao blasted away by Geass-controlled police officers as he goes insane due to too many voices in a park that he becomes trapped in. Despite his psychotic nature, Mao is sort of someone I can sympathize with considering he was trapped in his own nightmares and had this naive belief that merely just getting someone like C.C. would mae it all better...but of course Lelouch has to be the smarter man about it all and it sort of just ruins him in the end while showing that if you can't reign in the Geass, it will consume you, sort of what Lelouch realizes he can't have himself and promises C.C. will not occur from here on out.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Stage 16: Nunnaly Held Hostage

Somehow with how little Lloyd gets out, no wonder he just wants to skip to the obvious with Milly.

With all that has been going on as of late, there is still the primary issue that of course Lelouch is trying to get through regarding why he's fighting Brittania, for the sake of his sister Nunnaly and the weak who can't defend themselves in the world. Unfortunately the weak sometimes still find themselves in situations where they aren't able to defend themselves and where the strong have a harder time in trying to protect them. This is what happens when Nunnaly ends up suddenly abducted...by Mao, who survived the assassination attempt from last time due to Lelouch's command to the police be "shoot Mao" instead of "kill Mao". The situation obviously is precarious with the idea that if Lelouch doesn't find Mao in five hours, his sister will be killed, thus forcing him to figure where he is considering that he has to be 500 meters away considering the limitations of Mao's power. It isn't helped that Suzaku is likewise coming along here, basically trying to stay on Lelouch's good side with his own issues with the academy and the two end up finding Nunnaly in one place (with a death trap bomb above her) and with Mao ultimately elsewhere waiting to have his final chess battle with Lelouch. The showdown actually does feel for once like Lelouch is finally cornered due to having the bomb set to blow if enough pieces are removed from the board and with Mao obviously using his mind-reading to prevent Lelouch from getting any good strategies in play. But in the end...it was all a ruse: somehow Lelouch figured the bomb out, had Suzaku disarm it, and then Geass'd himself to play blind until it all ended; it's just utterly ridiculous honestly and made moreso with C.C. returning to finally put him out of his misery. Considering the end of last episode and the way that it actually gave Mao a more powerful and pitiful ending (which is all he deserves), having this end where they end up having him outsmarted again and his "master" just killing him doesn't feel as satisfying. However before Mao finally goes, he sort of drops a bombshell: Suzaku's whole "righteous nature" in fighting for justice...is basically to make up for the fact that he killed his father and this is his big apology. That...is probably the bigger bombshell out of the episode though I don't see why we needed a convoluted situation to force something this important to the surface.

-----

Fraggle Rock: Ep. 63: Born to Wander

I suddenly just imagine the real stories Storyteller wants to tell about Matt...but HBO or not, it's still a kids show.

The saga of Traveling Matt is one of those that shows him as a complete buffoon who is just a genius in finding things when he isn't just causing problems or pratfalls to all those around him. In this episode, we finally get a true origin story for Matt and how he got into the explorer business and it basically imagines him as more or less the Inspector Clouseau of Fraggles even back when he was a young Fraggle who followed in the footsteps of his Uncle Traveling...Gobo. (yeah it feels like it's a thing with Fraggles like this). Matt's time ultimately comes due to a situation where the Fraggle mushroom supply has run out due to a fungus infection and Gobo is instructed to search for a new supply of food lest the Fraggles starve (oh and we finally get an interesting reveal about Doozer Sticks: yes they feed Fraggles but if a Fraggle eats more than the Doozers can build then that can make things worse; thus really why they eat everything else too). The whole thing ends up leading to Matt just going on his own adventure (after accidentally hurting Gobo's foot) and in the end discovering the Gorg's Garden for the first time, and with it the future Fraggle supply of radishes (which strangely probably the Doozers were using all this time too but it isn't like the Fraggles knew the source of where it came from). While one can take so much of Matt's pratfalls in one episode, this is a pretty good origin story for him explaining a lot of important Fraggle lore we never got prior and adding more to the rock's history...though it's weird that the Gorgs suggest Junior was around yet it was Pa watching over the garden...maybe he stopped due to this first encounter with Matt I suppose?

Doc & Sprocket: Despite all his time doing other things lately (like the Captain's Inn), Doc tries to remind himself he's an inventor...and nearly screws it up royally due to one bad mistake.

Songs: The songs here are all variants on "Follow Me" due to this being a Matt story; the first is about his almost slavish devotion to Uncle Gobo, "I Will Follow You"; and later something closer to his classic "Follow Me" emerges when he's put in charge of finding the food.

Postcard: The whole thing is a Matt flashback pre-"Beginnings"...so did you really expect one?

Fraggle Rock: Ep. 64: The Battle of Leaking Roof

Seriously, can't we have a feminist message without some stupid side-plot to make Ma look dumb?

The Gorgs haven't had a solo focus episode in a while, and this one (outside a small appearance of Mokey and Boober) is one that actually gets across a lot of interesting skeletons in all of their closets. The whole thing stems from a hole in the roof of the Gorg castle, a hole that a storm is about to blow it's way into and causing a draft that is causing Ma to sneeze up a storm. She wants Pa to deal with the hole, but of course as usual Pa wants Junior to take his place; but surprisingly there is a deeper reason as to why Pa doesn't want to go up there: he's afraid of heights! Its a rather silly and fun episode with Pa trying to prove himself and that he is as strong as he's supposed to be as the king of the Universe, yet at the same time hide his own insecurities while dealing with Junior and trying to get the roof fixed. I do like how Junior actually uses multiple methods to try and get his father off the roof, ultimately just guiding his father down step by step in the midst of the storm but at the same time everyone forgetting about the reason they went up there in the first place and forcing a climax where Ma tries to handle it, gets stuck and Pa has to save her come hell or high water. I do find it rather contrived that Ma's helplessness is due to a weird side plot about Boober losing his lucky hat again (didn't "You Can't Do That Without a Hat" prove Boober didn't need it; or did he revert?) and Mokey being in the basket when Pa comes to the rescue. Oh...and it's all fixed due to a weird super-souflee that Ma was cooking that grows out of control in a hilarious Swedish Chef-esque bit that I think worked way better than some of the roof elements; the roof stuff was fine but I want to see Junior fighting a souflee sometimes more than teaching lessons.

Doc & Sprocket: Sprocket get a sore throat just when Doc is trying to make him more of a watchdog...so he just decides to mimick barking to make Sprocket do his job!

Songs:
I like both of the Gorg songs this time around: "Yes Sir, No Sir" is a wartime chant about Pa and Junior treating the leaky roof like a battle that has to be won; while "I'm Not Scared of Anything at All" is Pa's false bravado when he tries to make it like he was the brave one and Junior was the coward...when it's the opposite.

Postcard:
Matt is blocked by a mirror of himself preventing him from saving his traveler's helmet.
Old August 17th, 2019, 11:55 PM #3846
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

At the beginning, C.C. did ask Lelouch something to the effect of whether he was prepared to accept the power of a devil. And while she isn't literally a demon, those who have contracted with her have tended to experience "power is corruption". How different it would be if Suzaku got there first - though because he didn't, he was able to hide his inner demons better, only to have them exposed in a different way. With that, there's yet another parallel between Lelouch and Suzaku in that they hide who they are, just on very different levels, as Zero is more open to admitting his own moral faults.

Philosophically, there's a question of whether a chess player can be so good as to be unbeatable - but then what happens if this chess player plays against self. Well... Lelouch kind of answered that by outsmarting himself, and while extremely convoluted, he should take it as a warning, as he could end up on the wrong end of outsmarting himself.
Old August 18th, 2019, 02:56 PM #3847
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Eh, maybe it's better Suzaku hides his own elements even with how random they're revealed here; at least with Lelouch he can play the villain with them regardless.

-----

ARIENAI TO WAKUWAKU MON DA (and everything else in between)
A Pretty Cure Rewatch
Stage 3: Futari wa Pretty Cure Splash Star

OP: Wait...is this really supposed to be a faster-paced "Danzen! Futari wa Pretty Cure"? The opening song is OK but it does feel rather...inconsequential compared to the original opening or it's remake in Max Heart. And probably one of the big problems with the opening is that while there are obvious differences between the world of Futari and the world of Splash Star, there's little here to differentiate it: it's two normal girls living their lives fighting an evil shadowy being and shadowy MotW with fairies; if you ignored how different the Cure forms look (Bloom being basically an overdeveloped fruit and too many frills on Egret), it could just be Black and White; heck it's a reason why so many just sleep on this season and just say "lame; Futari knock-off, next!!" Oh and Flappy is a stalker of Choppy. Seriously...as many problems as I have with Flappy, him acting like a stalker in this opening doesn't help anything.

ED: Well...here it is. This ending is pretty much the most "anime-esque" ending of all Pretty Cure endings (and I mean "it feels like an anime ending and nothing that important or special or one of those rhythm-based or dance endings)...and it's adorable. It's basically just Saki and Mai contemplating their lives, their friendship and their partnership as Cures. Really only three endings do anything like this (the last one for Max Heart, this, and the first one for Yes! 5) and it just remains refreshing to get an ending like this which actually makes it feel like it could be any other anime. Oh and Flappy dancing on Saki's head will never not be adorable. (though the shot with a baseball bat...sometimes you have to wonder if Saki wants to be Lil' Slugger or Bad Girl if she didn't have the girly Cure stuff.

1 (Countdown Disabled; I'm not in that much of a hurry to get to L'ecole Cinq Lumiere; I just arrived here!):

What do you mean 13 years too early for a space Cure? Dang it if Mai wants to go to space let her go into space!

This episode more or less is one that could make or break whether you really want to watch this show any further beyond the Futari era...and honestly I can see why people would say "Futari ripoff": two girls randomly meet, gain powers from fairies, fight villains and become friends. However, what I love about Splash Star's opener is that it really is up-front about everything and shows it wants to develop concepts that were barely touched on or not that important to the original Futari world. The two fairies Flappy and Choppy...oh yeah they're actually Spirits and thus why they are bound to the Land of Fountains since that is a world of spiritual power (I would imagine Flappy's originally from the Fountain of Trees and Choppy...not sure since birds aren't tied to any of the main elements and the Fountain of the Sky gets covered by two others). The reason Saki and Mai feel familiar to each other...they met five years ago and were literally reminded by their fairies of said encounter. Why we're cell phones...oh that's easy: it's the form best suited for the time we must fight. (seriously, that one line explaining that one choice blows away the randomness of why the heck Mipple would just arrive in 1904 Italy as a random device that won't matter for a hundred more years!; and honestly considering the later form they become, I rather have the cell phones since they're way less toyetic) The varients of the power from the Futari era are also refreshing considering what most expect: sure Cures are supposed to just beat up MotW, but Bloom and Egret immediately learn shield abilities; which is as if not more impressive! In regards to the first villain, Karehan: some probably would say he's basically just a Pisard with a leaf motif...but then again if you look at practically every Cure season post Futari, you could say that with essentially every first villain in the franchise: if Karehan is Pisard, then Girinma is Pisard, Scorp is Pisard; Eas, Sasolina, Wolfrun, Ira, Namakelder, Close, Batty...really the only season that doesn't have a typical one is Suite due to how Siren and Trio de Minor all work together! The only real downside is that the Dark Fall villains all have a motif and a means to the creation of their MotW and it takes a while before it's explained so having Karehan just turn a random tree into an Uzaina just feels like the first monsters of Futari or Max Heart doesn't show how interesting their concepts are. Oh and while I still think Flappy and Choppy are derivitive, one thing I do admire is how they just choose to fight in the beginning to show they mean it: when Saki and Mai are still clueless to everything, the two just leap out and get crushed by Karehan and are willing to keep doing so until the Cures realize they're the ones who have to fight. Despite my problems (and seriously, Kappei Yamaguchi has to use his most annoying VA role ever here) this shows their power and determination as heroes as opposed to "hey, you have superpowers and we're giving them to you" that other fairies tend to have or give off.

Oh and the bit with Saki wondering what she's saying or doing...I wonder if that was the inspiration behind "possessed Cure Peach in episode 1" several seasons after this? And I even like the idea that the two are willing to just reveal what the fairies are to others until they vanished, sort of what you'd expect and not just your typical "it's weird, IT MUST STAY HIDDEN BECAUSE OF PLOT!"

2: Kare-cchi? Sorry, your name is forever "Curry Pan".

Starting with the positives, the episode really sort of shows a bit more of a natural "friendship" evolution between Saki and Mai that we don't tend to get that often in the franchise. One of Saki's things I always like about her is she feels like the perfect middle ground of Pinks we never get from literally any other Pink in the franchise, being a bit of a tomboy ala Nagisa/Hibiki, but still this infectious cheerfulness that everyone wants to be around her like with Nozomi, Miyuki or Mana. This is the sort of Pink I wish the franchise stuck with...but considering next season has Nozomi which is closer to a typical Pink, it unfortunately stuck but a season later. I also like Mai in that she isn't just the typical Blue/White we get: she has more insecurities, can be oblivious to her surroundings (especially when art is being done) and just doesn't have the "arrogance" most Cures of her type end up usually having. It's even sort of seen with Honoka (since she's the science wiz from the rich household), but it's sort of a thing that ends up occuring more often than not with all the Blue Cures after her regardless of their type, even with those who don't seem like what it evolves into ala Erika or Rikka. (the only exception I say is Miki but her arrogance is obviously for show) I love this episode being the one with the explanation of how the Cure powers work and the means the duo have to use to do them; with a fake out "jump scene" before the actual one having the two fly like rockets across the town. And considering I've seen the series before, I love the foreshadowing we get with the "flame" motif of first Goyan, then with Akudaikan when they're introduced, more concentrating on "the flame" at one point than the shadowy figure that is above said flame. (and that as opposred to the "PRETTY CURE, NEVER HEARD OF THEM" we typically get, Goyan knows who they are, that they existed in the past and that they must be stopped...but with his final reveal later as some sort of alien, one wonders how he even knew Earth had such beings and if he was tempting fate by invading the Land of Fountains in the first place; as for why Karehan didn't know...he was probably just created considering what we find out so obviously what Goyan knows isn't the same as what his minions know; heck next episode makes it sound like even Akudaikan didn't know the Cures existed thus furthering the final twist as something known from the beginning)

On the other hand there remains the elephant of the room in this episode: considering Saki and Mai literally transformed behind Saki's own house with all her friends around, wouldn't anyone hear the "DUAL SPIRITUAL POWER!?" being shouted and check to see what's going on? Sure they move it after the "jump scene", but that scene was always a sore spot to me because Saki's parents, sister and friends are all at that house and no one heard Saki or Mai fighting Karehan and the Uzaina?

3: Remember that terrible Max Heart episode where Hikari literally interrupts the entire game to allow for another improbable comeback by the Verone Lacrosse team to secure their ridiculous "we won't lose to anyone" element last season? This episode...actually almost makes it work despite doing similar. I think what makes it work here and not Max Heart is that Mai actually ends up using her art as a means to guide the Yuunagi softball team to realize their problems in not taking it easy in such an important game; it still feels a bit ridiculous but I do like that they sort of make it work with that with the underdog element of Yuunagi in this tournament and how Saki is actually happy to try and make it work and win this and they only tighten up due to stress and the power that their opponents end up having. I also do sort of like the consistency considering what we find out about Karehan in that he uses "wooden bats" for this scheme...oh and he's finally Curry Pan now so my life's complete. (and to further along the comedy that none of Goyan's creations respect him, he nearly suffocates on Karehan's leaves as he arrives)

4: I was actually going to wait on this until later, but this episode sort of feels a good time to mention it: another of the good things about Splash Star...is that all the main Cures actually have supporting families around at all times interacting with them. I think Splash Star is the only season outside HeartCatch where the "main Cures" for a period actually have a mother, father and siblings with them and it isn't just "one Cure has at least one family member missing" as is the case with Futari (Honoka) and...every other season except this and HeartCatch. I mention it because we got a lot of Saki's family in the first few and this episode gives us more on Mai's family, including her brother's biological research, her mother the archaeologist and her dad the astronomer; while it sort of has everyone in esteemed position compared to the blue-collar nature of the Hyuuga family, it still works having them around and giving off different perspectives of spring while Mai is trying to look for her own. Another positive about this episode: Saki actually convincing Mai to go out and join her own clubs and be with people like her. Compared to other seasons where all the Cures seem to be attached at the hip unless they already had something prior to becoming Cures, Saki suggests Mai go for the artists club and she does so in the end after the incident here with the old woman; heck even the fact she helped pick the cabbages just felt more natural and less forced than the stupid pear plot last season with similar circumstances. Oh and in another view that this show isn't insulting our intelligence, the Cures already figured out how Karehan and his powers work...and the weirdness of him using a cicada for his latest though the "tree sap" excuse is legitimate. (and the "whose laughing now!"; "YOU ARE YOU IDIOT KAREHAN!" was fun) On the other hand, we get Flappy flirting with Choppy...yeah, the fairies aren't that fun this season.

5: We finally reach one of the weaker episodes...and guess what: it's a love story episode! I'm not really a fan of these types of episodes though I sort of don't mind the Saki/Mai's brother one as much as many of the others. However this is still an annoying episode regardless, mostly just due to the mess with the book Saki borrows and the hecticness of trying to get a replacement when they didn't have to. The only other interesting element is this is the first major focus of the male friend Kenta, who despite being a minor character in the town is voiced by Junko Takeuchi...a year prior to playing an actual Cure in Rin.

6: After the last couple episodes really seem to hype up Mai's family, this one sort of has an interesting rebuttal about the importance of Saki's family as well. This is an interesting one in just bringing up the idea that sometimes having something you're familiar with such as a family who makes the best bread in town is as or more impressive as a family that has fame and fortune throughout in things such as astronomy and archaeology; probably strengthened in just the moral fortitude that Mr. and Mrs. Hyuuga have in turning down another offer to leave at the end. It also furthers along the adorableness of Minori; we never get enough little siblings that matter and considering all things this season has, Minori is probably one of the better one of these. Plus I really just love the imaginative means of the powers these two have, which compared to most Cure teams isn't "punch things and destroy evil". (it's just terrible that people prefer "punch things and destroy evil" which ends up being another complaint as to why this show failed...but it makes me appreciate more creative Cure powers at times like this such as Maho Girls Topaz Form)

7: Seriously, the fairies that poop collectables don't get constipation yet the two who hold collectables in their ears do?

This episode is more or less the conclusion of the Karehan arc, and it sort of just is another reminder of what the Cures are fighting for with the whole scenes with Mai and her mother and Saki and Minori together before the two end up facing him while trying to help the fairies get their hands on the "collection" means for the season, the Fairy Carafe. The Fairy Carafe part is rather weak, made more bizarre with how it teleports the Cures back and forth to just do what they need to do and return to their world like it's nothing. On the other hand, I do really like the final battle with Karehan, more or less him sucking away all the spiritual energy until the Cures just overload him while on overdrive of "we have things to do and need to get back to them so just go away". The funny thing is that Karehan was mostly serious during this arc (outside his random appearance at the bookstore in one episode) and compared to the rest of the Dark Fall generals, it really just shows that he was just meant as an introductory enemy...though at least you can tell there's better pacing compared to the 5 episodes it took to deal with Pisard.
Old August 18th, 2019, 03:27 PM #3848
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Iíll just say this, as much as I love this series Bloom has to be one of the ugliest looking Precure outfits Iíve ever seen. Squeakier Usopp takes some getting used to as well.

I also didnít realize that Kenta and Rin were played by the same woman (who of course is more well known for voicing Naruto), thatís neat.

I also like that Flappy and Choppy have a different dynamic from Mepple and Mipple (Flappy is clearly in love with Choppy but sheís completely oblivious) and I agree that Saki strikes a nice balance as far as Pinks go. While this may seem derivative of the original at first I feel like it establishes its own identity fairly quickly (it apparently didnít do so well as far as toy sales were concerned though).

Dark Fall is fun but I would have preferred some more interaction between the generals at first as opposed to them just being introduced immediately after the previous one is killed off.

The whole thing about the roll call being an automatic part of the transformation is a running gag in this franchise that goes all the way back to the first episode of Futari. Fresh just wound up taking it to extremes, to the point where I am almost convinced they originally had a different plan for the series as the possession is never brought up again after the first episode (I donít think they even bother handwaving it away with some half-assed explanation) nor do Miki, Buki, or Setsuna go through a similar experience the first time they transform.
Old August 18th, 2019, 07:43 PM #3849
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

I don't mind Dark Fall doesn't get as much interaction early on: really the main element with them is their interaction with Goyan which just varies based on the general (sure at this point it's somewhat frustration with Karehan but it gets weirder as we go further through the line). It gives off a different feel from all the other villain groups where we usually don't get this sort of thing; honestly with how terrible the interactions were with the Guardians, they more or less held off on doing a lot of this again until Labyrinth. (since Nightmare and Eternal really don't do too much interaction with each other either outside structures of power and the wild cards like Kawarino and Anacondy)

It's not just the roll call; it's just sort of like the whole idea that we get most directly with Peach's first fight: the first time the Cure feels like they become someone else and just do things without really having too much control of themselves. I mean it was a gag in Futari but it feels like Fresh wanted to do more with it or some sort of twist yet it never went fully with it...then again that I can probably save for when I get to Fresh. (and really after that it isn't that important anymore)

The only other complaint I have is probably just the weird element of destiny regarding the connection that lead to this. What would have happened if Mai never returned to Yuunagi; would Saki have found another partner or did Flappy and Choppy work to find multiple teams and these two happened to be the one to be at the right place and the right time? Heck, we even see that Saki notices Karehan's shadow floating through the sky even before Mai arrives in town so the issue of dealing with Dark Fall would always be there; but what would have happened if it wasn't Saki and Mai? Let alone this: we know later that the Sky Tree is tied to the Land of Fountains; but did the two just play a prank on Saki and Mai that lead to them having this connection?
Old August 18th, 2019, 07:56 PM #3850
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

It is sort of weird that Saki could see Karehanís shadow but nobody else could. Come to think of it, aside from Kintolesky going around town in disguise on occasion (and of course the Kiryuus later on) I donít think any civilians in this series are ever made aware that the Precure or Dark Fall even existed (I believe Yes 5 was the first team to actually appear publicly).

Generally people in this franchise seem to be chosen as Precure either by destiny or luck of the draw. I assume if Saki hadnít moved back to town they probably would have scouted someone else instead.

Last edited by Akiba Black; August 18th, 2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old August 19th, 2019, 07:46 PM #3851
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

This is a town where they even sort of reasoned away the fairies as a cryptid; my guess is that weird things have always happened in Yuunagi and the town just got used to it and made no big deal about any of it since it never lead to problems until Dark Fall became more active.

-----

Transformers: Super-God MasterForce - Ep. 29: Escape!! The Underwater Volcano Erupts

It's probably going to hurt Ginrai's arms to carry the Godbomber everywhere at all times.

While I sort of get the general story that has been going on for a while, this show still seems to swerve into different directions if only to show similar but different elements regarding the current battle of Autobots and Decepticons. In this episode, it begins with a random volcano erupting off the Australian coast; which would be a thing in itself (since people end up getting killed in this), but is also some weird signal of the Decepticons building a new base on a fault line to the point that it's making a nearby volcano prepare to erupt! I do like that it's Getaway that does the main investigating...but of course he ends up trapped and then it's up to Ginrai and the Autobot Headmaster Jrs. to help him out...and then when Ginrai gets trapped, Godbomber the sentient robot. I am sort of tired of just how the heroes keep getting so many toys at this point that just make things easier, made stupider in that the main threat and the builder of said base are the Seacons this time; just...the Seacons, which Ginrai was able to crush their main form Pirhanatron even before he got God Ginrai! We get a whole thing about Getaway needing to be more careful and a funny bit where Godbomber forces the kids to stay back and not go save their friend (really Godbomber should have been Shuta and the other's nanny), it's just another episode of "Decepticons do crap, Ginrai to the rescue", which I sort of hope they get out of soon because it's really gotten dull in that no one can do anything anymore without Ginrai! (heck he's so on it now that he's basically stuck in that stupid suit at all times!)

Jikuu Senshi Spielban: Ep. 29: 1 Plus 1 Equals 5? Diana Smash Plan

I guess "random football-headed robot" was there for levity...or someone from the future was a Hey Arnold fan.

Helen has had enough: she's been captive by the Wahler since her childhood, forced to suffer watching her father become a monster and her own mutation into the monster known as Hellvira. She wants out...but unfortunately with her still stuck in Waller's base and Emperor Guillotine seeing her value, she sort of is stuck doing their bidding regardless. And this time is probably one of the worst things Helen has ever done: by the manipulations of Guillotine's plans, she becomes a piece of a two-prong plan involving separating Spielban from Diana; the former forced to rescue a bunch of kids at a swim club while Diana tries to get away with Helen from another Waller attack...only for them to turn her into Hellvira in the car and stab Diana with a poison knife in the leg! And considering this happened before Diana could even crystalize into Diana Lady, the effects of the knife are slow and painful, withering her away during a no-win battle until Spielban comes to her rescue and is able to get her out of there. The situation is critical in that Diana could die due to this attack; and with Helen being the one behind it, it could ultimately be the breaking point in forcing a final showdown between the two siblings. Yet at the same time, this manipulation isn't being ignored on the Waller ship, both due to Helen's shame as well as Doctor Bio, who as Helen (and Spielban)'s father just can't take any more manipulations and knows that this whole Waller element has to be handled once and for all. I sort of wonder now what will happen next considering that Helen wants out yet at the same time was used in possibly killing Diana...can even Spielban forgive his own sister for this?

=====

Shuriken Sentai Ninninger: Shinobi 29: Definitive Edition Ninja Sugoroku!

I'm with Fuuka: the whole campus should be a no-catchphrase zone.

With the reveal last time that Tsugumi Igasaki's ninja powers were "stolen" by Kyuemon, the team seems to have a better idea coping with why the heck Tsugumi is more useless than useful despite his potential. However, these memories end up hitting back big-time in a rather weird way due to Kyuemon's next desciple: a rhino ninja who actually takes an idea from Masakage and lures the Ninninger into a game of sugoroku to force those within, from children to the Ninninger themselves, into an eternity of despair through an unwinnable game. The weird thing about this board game is that it's a bit like the American game of "Life"...and when I say that, it's literally about Tsugumi Igasaki's life story, with elements of the turns and what happens based on his own experiences! Admittedly I sort of figured that Kyuemon would hold on to Tsugumi's ninjutsu and memories for something grander but they just sort of force it out here; it sort of is a weird situation and ends up leading Yakumo of all characters to get Tsugumi to navigate the board to be able to escape. Tsugumi and Yakumo got a bit of a spat prior due to him still not getting his desire to be both a ninja and a wizard and find his own way; but he's the one who has to find his own way due to losing his ninja powers; though we find out it really isn't all just Kyuemon's fault since he stole the powers after grandpa Yoshitaka basically considered young Tsugumi too naive to be a true ninja warrior; Kyuemon just did what Yoshitaka suggested and it lead to the mess. While the episode has problems and probably could be a bit soon with the reveal, I do like some of that lesson and the idea that Yoshitaka and Tsugumi have had their problems in the past and have to get over them; plus how Tsugumi doesn't even care anymore he's not a ninja cause Takaharu and Fuuka are and he rather have them achieve their dreams, which I think is for the best.
Old August 19th, 2019, 07:58 PM #3852
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

I think Splash Star may have been the only season where no civilians ever even saw the Precure (as far as I can remember anyway). In Futari they were just rumors but were apparently well known enough for two girls to replicate their outfits and (badly) spout their catchphrases. Also the vice principal saw them once but didnít remember anything after recovering from getting turned into a Zakenna and of course they transformed in front of everyone in the Romeo & Juliet episode but somehow the town wrote it off as being part of the show. Also Sanae knew exactly who they were but never let on about it (Chuutaro doesnít count since heís a dog and couldnít tell anyone anyway).

Nao also revealed her identity to her siblings near the end of Smile (even though they were convinced it was a dream later) and even the Maho Girls I believe were seen at least once but as far as I know nobody in-universe ever even knew the Splash Star team existed.

Last edited by Akiba Black; August 19th, 2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old August 19th, 2019, 08:20 PM #3853
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

I'm with Fuuka: the whole campus should be a no-catchphrase zone.
Nonsense, they'll never give up catchphrases, when those will get everyone fired up. It won't be easy to attract any Sentai that way, and they'd be lucky if they can defend themselves, waki waki.

As for Tsugumi, this is a way to get into some flashbacks for his life story (though just so soon after they did a mid-season clip show), but what it becomes is a look to the future, of Tsugami looking after his kids' dreams instead of dwelling in the past.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM #3854
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

I do like that lesson for Tsugumi...but of course they're more "we still need to get your ninja powers back, dad" about it. Honestly I like Tsugumi's acceptance more.

-----

Transformers: Super-God MasterForce - Ep. 30: Destroy Godbomber!!

At least Squeezeplay knows the real purpose behind American vegetables: burger toppings.

Another day, another plan to deal with Ginrai and stop him from using his full potential. The plan this time around: after a diversionary tactic by the Headmaster Jrs. in the midwest, Overlord fights Ginrai while the Hydra/Buster brothers hold off Godbomber with the intent that if they keep the two away from each other, it will prevent God Ginrai and thus another loss for the Decepticons. Somehow there's some weird reveal that all of Godbomber's powers come from being drawn from Ginrai's Chokon; and with distance and Ginrai needing Chokon to sustain his own transformation, it weakens the accessory truck. The stupid part is how they are able to save it: somehow Shuta is made to drive Godbomber away from the Hydra/Buster assault and runs out of power due to the distance between the truck and Ginrai...but when he, plus Cab and Minerva, place their hands on some random panel, it somehow gathers the Chokon within them and thus reactivates. I get it's sort of the whole "potential of humanity" that the Godmasters are trying to manipulate...but it gets so confusing considering that you have guys who had destiny on their side and now a bunch of kids who happened to be in the right place and time all season can work together to activate an accessory robot? It really feels like just another excuse to keep those three relevant while the rest of the Godmasters feel about as irrelevant now as the Pretenders. (oh and Sixknight shows up...and leaves about as quickly as he arrives...)

Jikuu Senshi Spielban: Ep. 30: A Tearful Reunion, And Doctor Bio is...

Murder: it's what makes Subaru a Subaru.

The battle for the body and soul of Helen and Doctor Ben has been a hard one for Spielban; and after last episode with Hellvira stabbing Diana potentially leading to a lethal attack (that luckily is saved...somehow...), Spielban is ready to just give up on his sister and get rid of her considering everything she's done. However the final key to Helen's situation and her potential salvation is not with Spielban or Diana but surprisingly Doctor Bio, who finally has had enough himself and has decided he'll do what he needs to in order to make Helen happy again. He does so under this guise that he's going to "brainwash Helen to obey their every command" so they could use her as an assassin, but when Helen finally goes in for the kill, Bio uses his mental control to prevent it from getting lethal and, at the same time, sabotages the Bio Pulse Inhibitor so that Pandora can never turn her into Hellvira ever again! (I also honestly suspect that the "brainwashing device" removed whatever genetic manipulations caused Hellvira in the first place but that's my own theorizing) A lot of this episode is actually just about Bio's situation, who sort of even regains his Bionoid form briefly in order to defy the Waller, but ends up losing in the end and is now stuck in a tank in the floating castle; and worse because of his own mental manipulations, he still wants Spielban dead but only let Helen go to him for her own happiness; it's a twisted sort of love but that's what happens when you deal with these guys. As for Helen: she's finally on Spielban's side again...but surprisingly she now wants to fight alongside him and Diana to make up for everything she's done; Spielban tries to talk her out of it...but seriously, this is Annie we're talking about and as the song says "Annie wo Makasete!"

=====

Shuriken Sentai Ninninger: Shinobi 30: Targeted Ninja School!

Seriously, if there's one thing that isn't burning this season, it's "burning love".

Considering his obsession with being the Last Ninja, it becomes impossible to imagine Takaharu doing anything other than ninja-related activities. However and surprisingly, he does interact with others...but of course it tends to be ninja-related: in this case, it's a girl who actually helps run a ninja academy helping students become the next generation of ninjas (what is with everyone wanting to be a ninja in this world? I get the Ninnin philosophy of "ninjas who don't hide", but this just feels way more generic compared to how special it felt in Kaku and Hurricane) However, the school is of course the latest target by Kyuemon's ninja squad, this time with him summoning an ant-themed one who takes possession of another teacher of the school and tries to manipulate the female teacher to work for him forcing it to be an issue of trust between whether to believe in him or believe in Takaharu, with Takaharu of course winning out in the end and of course their promise regarding their ninja lifestyles. It's another generic "school infiltration" Sentai episode that happens to involve ninjas...though somehow Kyuemon doesn't mind the failure of her squad since she's collecting these gears they're dropping for something...eh must be a collect-a-thon video game fan (I mean with all the other games this season's done...)
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM #3855
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

It is kind of odd that ninjutsu is treated as kind of a hobby in Ninninger's world, with these plots about schools, although it does make Takaharu stand out in actually wanting to be a ninja, professionally (well, as professional as he can be).