Home Menu

Menu

Old October 7th, 2013, 05:19 AM #121
> Rey_Alejandro
Hispanic at the disco

Rey_Alejandro
Hispanic at the disco

Just get Core out of the way now. It's not worth putting that off.
Rey_Alejandro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:25 AM #122
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

It doesn't matter whether you watch Core before or after episodes 13-14, or wait until later. No matter where you place it, the continuity problems remaining are bigger than any continuity problems solved.
timegold is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:48 AM #123
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Thanks; yeah for the most part I did hear Core took place approximately about this point so I'll be getting to it this weekend.

It's not like there isn't continuity problems already though: the OOO cameo in the A to Z movie already feels like it's a hassle to place because of all sorts of factors (when Eiji gets the Medajalibur, when Ankh gives him his own TaToBa for the first time; which coincidentally is the same arc that Eiji loses the Kamakiri Medal; then again by the time he does get the Kamakiri Medal back its in time to create GataKiriBa; which would make you wonder why he didn't use that against a T2 Gaia Memory, but then Ankh loses several medals to Uva not long after that...you get my point)
Ataruman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 12:40 PM #124
> AtoMan
Now read my post again

AtoMan
Now read my post again

And ignoring the noticeably different transformation animation.

As for Core, it's implied it doesn' take place at a certain point, but the plot drags for several months, starting - as i assume - before Birth's TV debut and ending after Goto taking over the belt (despite him acting just like at the beginning of the seasno).
AtoMan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 01:54 PM #125
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

So basically Core is pretty much a cluster of "it won't happen" because of Birth? Hoo boy...well I knew I was going to do Core this weekend but I didn't expect that it's potential story position was that massive.

It's just bizarre that for a franchise like KR that seems to find a way to sneak in everything (even AU stuff as seen in positioning of the Ryuki movies/specials), OOO really dropped the ball.
Old October 7th, 2013, 01:57 PM #126
> AtoMan
Now read my post again

AtoMan
Now read my post again

Seems someone didn't get the memo about that they don't make AU movies anymore.

Also, due to cell medals having the black medal design in series and because of being a part of crossover, i'd say that Core qualifies as "it happened, but not exactly the way we've seen in the movie".
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:08 PM #127
> johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

AtoMan wrote: View Post

Also, due to cell medals having the black medal design in series and because of being a part of crossover, i'd say that Core qualifies as "it happened, but not exactly the way we've seen in the movie".
Yeah, there's also the fact that Gill, the newly revealed Greed who sets the plot in motion, is tangentially key to the series' plot in later episodes. The character himself isn't important in any way, never appearing beyond the movie, but his existence implies something very significant...
johnboy3434 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:19 PM #128
> AtoMan
Now read my post again

AtoMan
Now read my post again

...despite the fact noone named Gill exists in the series - but if you remove the Greed talkong scene (or redub it), everything's fine
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:22 PM #129
> johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

...despite the fact noone named Gill exists in the series - but if you remove the Greed talkong scene (or redub it), everything's fine
His name is ギル, Hepburn: "Giru". "Gill" is an acceptable romanization. Are you finished making needlessly pedantic comments that have no reflection on the content of my post? Yes? Thank you.
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:24 PM #130
> AtoMan
Now read my post again

AtoMan
Now read my post again

...what? I'm not even talking about a romanization, just the fact that the name is never used in TV series to refer to anyone. It's possible that was the initial plan though, just like apparently Date was supposed to die early.
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:26 PM #131
> johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

...what? I'm not even talking about a romanization, just the fact that the name is never used in TV series to refer to anyone. It's possible that was the initial plan though, just like apparently Date was supposed to die early.
Gill is the purple Greed from Movie War Core. Considering the Greed's backstory, there is only one thing he could possibly be, and that becomes rather important later in the series.
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:31 PM #132
> Rey_Alejandro
Hispanic at the disco

Rey_Alejandro
Hispanic at the disco

johnboy3434 wrote: View Post

Considering the Greed's backstory, there is only one thing he could possibly be, and that becomes rather important later in the series.
The BuraKaWani Greeed?
Rey_Alejandro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:35 PM #133
> AtoMan
Now read my post again

AtoMan
Now read my post again

Dinosaur Greeed Gill, that other Greeed know since he appeared in the past, doesn't exist in the series' timeline because purple medals were never unsealed.

I am pretty sure some KR game used the name to refer to Maki's Greeed form though.
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:41 PM #134
> johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

Rey_Alejandro wrote: View Post

The BuraKaWani Greeed?
No, the Kangaroo Greeed. Duh.
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:52 PM #135
> Kaigan
Banned

Kaigan
Banned

There should have been a Kangaroo Greeed.
Kaigan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:55 PM #136
> johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

Strawberry Jam wrote: View Post

There should have been a Kangaroo Greeed.
And it should have been Boxing Bopp-A-Roo.
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:58 PM #137
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Maybe combine Panda and Kangaroo with one animal they didn't have that would work and we'd probably have an 8th character; throw in a Greeed made from it and you'd be fine.

yeah I shouldn't be talking of characters I"m nowhere near yet.
Old October 7th, 2013, 04:02 PM #138
> johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Maybe combine Panda and Kangaroo with one animal they didn't have that would work and we'd probably have an 8th character; throw in a Greeed made from it and you'd be fine.

yeah I shouldn't be talking of characters I"m nowhere near yet.
Actually, Rabbit and Panda were two parts of an unfinished toy-only Full Combo. Hell, they even made a costume for it, for promotional purposes (bunny ears!). It was white like another combo that you may or may not have seen yet. Unfortunately, the pictures available online are too cropped and blurry to make out the third animal from the chest plate, and to my knowledge the medal was never released. Does anyone here have more info?
Old October 13th, 2013, 10:10 AM #139
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Faiz 21-25:

Just when it looks like Kusaka is starting to express his nice side, his ulterior motives emerge. He started with saving Takumi by returning the Faiz belt and giving him the Accel Watch, and later makes an ally with Yuji, but he's willing to humiliate and betray both of them and he's clearly planning on playing them against each other, even after everything they've done for him. He's also been protective of Mari, and even tried to court her, but he obviously doesn't care about her feelings, and it's more about her saving him than about him making her happy. It's not like his behavior is limited to being directed towards the protagonists, though. He did try to game the Lucky Clover system, but he's just as unsuccessful at that. It's not part of his personality, but if he realized that making an actual ally (instead of someone he'll just betray) has its benefits, he might end up more successful in reaching any noble goals he may have.

Parallel to Kusaka, Kaidou also tried to game the Lucky Clover system, but in the end realized just how powerless he is. After several bouts of unrequited love with Mari, he's moved on to new goals: "attacking" her to lure out Faiz and Kaixa and steal their belts, mentoring an innocent new Orphenoch, trying to seize a life of luxury. But he's created more problems than he can solve. He just doesn't realize the consequences of his actions, in contrast to Kusaka who knows exactly what he's doing (at least mostly). Kaidou didn't realize just how much the attempts at revitalizing Yoshio was corrupting (and his actor's sure going to be punching through a much worse journey), or that his own ambitions would get in the way of his happiness, or that obtaining the belts was a meaningless gesture. Unlike Kusaka, he can accept defeat (eventually, in the case of Mari), and can abort a helpless plan and return to being supported by true friends, even with crushed dreams.

Takumi and Yuji... what more can be said about their parallels? The truth about each other is practically screaming in their ears, but it's barely out of their reach. It's like when two people love each other, but neither can admit it and they're boned with awkward situations exploding in their faces. The situation is only made weirder by the fact that both of them realize that their destinies are intertwined, yet they have no idea why they're connected. Surely if someone locked Takumi, Mari, Keitarou, Yuji, Yuka, and Kaidou in a room together (or even just any five of them), everyone's secrets would inevitably be revealed. They might not all be able to work together (given the love heptagon - Keitarou loves Yuka, who loves Kaidou, who's competing with Kusaka for Mari, who loves Yuji, who's in a complicated semi-Platonic relationship with Takumi), but at the very least Takumi and Yuji's self-contrived rivalry could end and they'd foil Kusaka... of course, that's not going to happen before Kusaka gets his shot.

With all this incomplete information driving everyone in circles, it's no surprise that the Delta belt is even more enigmatic. The Ryusei School's father hasn't been completely forthcoming with, well, anything, and Takumi and Kusaka had to find out the hard way that he's an Orphenoch, and that the belt they're chasing is even more deadly than the Kaixa belt, not even getting the user a chance to transform before killing him or her. He's so cryptic that he's quoting Kanzaki Shiro with the "keep fighting to find the answer" directive, complete with the Mirror World sound effect. It's a wonder why he refuses to tell them anything of substance, as he doesn't benefit from the protagonists pointlessly pitting against each other - after all, he's the one who seems to have defected against Smart Brain in delivering the Rider belts to the Ryusei School students. But as shown time and time again, the truth sometimes hurts and damages what it tries to benefit; depending on what he's really up to, perhaps his ends do in fact justify his means.

All of the chasing of the belts revolves around Smart Brain's attempts to summon the Orphenoch King. It's somewhat ironic that Lucky Clover has been stealing and using the belts to achieve this purpose, and Takumi just forces Takuma to wear the Delta belt to incapacitate him. (Though that was kind of a gamble; how was he to know that it would affect Orphenochs the same way as it affected humans? Only very few humans are capable of using these Rider Belts, after all.) There's actually an interesting symmetry between Takumi and Takuma: aside from their names being similar, they're the main users of the Faiz belt so far. Takuma embodies everything Yuji fears in Takumi as Faiz, though everything about them - from their purposes to their mannerisms - screams opposites. Then there's Saeko, who may not be as psycho as Kusaka, but nevertheless is at least as formidable, especially given her method of toying with and killing her victims even without the Kaixa belt. To think, she's the first undisputed female Rider to appear in series, and she's completely evil. Given her villain status, it wouldn't be surprising if she'll end up dead like plenty of other female Riders.
timegold is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 11:35 AM #140
> Truncated Power Rangers
Halle Berry's Assets

Truncated Power Rangers
Halle Berry's Assets

Finished my re-watch of Kabuto.

Yeah, it sucks. The Hoppers come out of nowhere. The Red Shoes, while explained, doesn't really lead to anything. Dark Kabuto ... ugh.

Disappointment all around. Drake and Sasword are awesome, though.
Truncated Power Rangers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote