Home Menu

Menu

Old October 29th, 2013, 08:18 AM #181
> Merlin
Red Flame

Merlin
Red Flame

I can't say much about Satonaka without potential spoilers, but her general attitude and characterization don't change much over the course of the series despite that she showcases some skills, and is given a new role later. She's there to be a sexy character and contributes nothing to move the plot along.
Merlin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:44 AM #182
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Regardless, someone has to deliver all those cakes now that Gotou's at the Cous Coussiere and working with Date the rest of the time. It's not like the boss is going to develop a Canroid that can carry cakes to people.
Ataruman is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:56 AM #183
> Merlin
Red Flame

Merlin
Red Flame

She seemed to spend more time shoveling cake in her mouth than delivering it, but maybe that's me.
Old October 29th, 2013, 10:12 AM #184
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

The Gameru/Mezūru duo actually creeped me out a bit, largely because of the human forms they took. They obviously have some sort of bond, but it starts looking weird when she's a schoolgirl complete with absolute territory and he's an adult who acts like he's mentally challenged.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:42 PM #185
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Faiz 36-40:

From Kuuga to Ryuki, the police have played a crucial role in some plot arc of Kamen Rider. Here, the detectives have been stymied by mystery after mystery, not deducing what caused widespread deaths under strange circumstances, nor locating the missing miners. It's not the case that the entire police force is incompetent, though: Smart Brain has such influence that they can cover up their involvement in crimes that large, and even when an employee goes rogue and gets caught, they managed to distance themselves from the act and deny any involvement. Meanwhile, "traitorous" Orphenochs like Kaidou and Yuka are hung out to dry as the police catch their trail. That's just how powerful Smart Brain is: they can coerce individual Orphenochs to do their bidding, not just from the threat of the corporation, but also from the police, lest they remain completely isolated. It's a world where individuals like Kaidou and Yuka need to pay for their past crimes, but corporations like Smart Brain have no accountability.

The symmetry between Takumi and Yuji is growing more complete. With Takumi's nascent Orphenoch powers manifesting himself, he fears he may be going out of control, just as Yuji and several other newly formed Orphenochs did. Takumi has to come to terms with himself and he's at a crossroad with his destiny, having a decision about whom to fight for. Meanwhile, Yuji takes up Takumi's role as Faiz, just as Takumi took up Yuji's in the Paradise Lost movie. He finally has the means to more easily protect the very humans he cares about. After all the conflicts they've had, stemming from both misinformation and misrepresentation, they finally get to take a walk in each other's shoes. Plus with Yuji as Faiz versus Takumi as the Wolf Orphenoch, they've reversed their positions from the initial conflict, though Takumi feels just as much guilt as earlier and still tries to commit suicide via Yuji. In some sense they're facing themselves, challenging their pasts as they adjust to their present situations and set their courses for the future.

In Takumi's quest to find himself, he's acted parallel to Sawada as well. Despite having the support of companions, they've turned to Lucky Clover and Smart Brain to solve their problems, letting themselves be used to quash the experiment of the Ryusei students and to eliminate the traitors. But even in isolating themselves from those who would care, they're still motivated by a common thread: Mari. After everything they've done, after Sawada tried to kill her and Takumi believing she was a victim of his rampage, Mari still believes in them, that they can express their human sides. It's what makes her an effective sidekick and Rider girl of the season: she's been with Takumi through all of his adventures, and even if he's reluctant to reveal himself to her, she can connect with and shape him, and get through even to enemies. It's through Mari that Sawada found his cause, also inspiring Takumi to do the same.

Takumi's not the only one with confidence issues. Mihara, as always, wants to live in peace and has trouble bringing himself to fight even when the fight brings itself to him. Like Takumi, Mihara's willing to discard his belt, but unlike Takumi, he thinks destroying the belt would solve his problems. It's his way of running from his fate, though his overreaction led to Rina being sent to the hospital. As a result, Mihara realized he needs to protect others and fight for justice, just as Takumi realized when he used the Delta Gear to protect them. And their sidekicks were crucial to them regaining their confidence: Mari attempted to transform into Faiz yet again, ignoring the fact that it would give an error, while Rina transformed into Delta, only to be quickly beaten. Even if they failed, they convinced Takumi and Mihara that fighting is worth it, that there is a purpose and a role for them to fill.

Open your eyes for the next Faiz. After a journey of self-searching, Takumi's a new Faiz, rewarded with the Blaster Form. With a purpose, with allies, with confidence, he's learned a lot about himself from his friends and his enemies, knowing that he would be able to control himself from going out of control. He may be an Orphenoch physiologically, but that doesn't prevent him from living like a human, fighting as a human, using the Faiz belt (which is apparently only compatible with Orphenochs) to do so. He's no longer in self-denial about what he really is, and has overcome the prejudice that he's faced from others. And perhaps he would inspire not only the humans, but also the Orphenochs. Yuji and his posse are still hiding their identities, knowing that they'd be viewed unfavorably only because of who they are, in spite of any heroic deeds they have done. But if Takumi can come out, so could they.
timegold is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 03:02 AM #186
> night ranger
X-Man till i die

night ranger
X-Man till i die

I found most of the english dub of Kabuto on youtube here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...hk-7btYibtmA-C
night ranger is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 04:32 AM #187
> Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

That's not really "most". ^^;; Not even half the series. But still, better than I've been able to find, so~.
Miraculous Bikkun is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 06:18 AM #188
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

OOO 23-26: You know I always thought the "Love Combo" would be...um...Lion/Unagi/...um, Vulture?

23-24 definitely feels like "the utterly wacky story that happens halfway before meatier things occur", similar to the Liar Dopant arc in W with its "American Idol" parody. It wasn't necessarily "wacky" in a super-crazy way, more just some of the crazy things going on in association with Eiji being completely useless for the most part after he becomes a love slave of the elder sister of the beauty company. Regardless, this was a really great story that further developed Date and his philosophy of finding deeper matters such as beauty instead of being entranced by a pretty face, probably due to the hard life he has come across through his travels. I loved that he cared about the elder sister, but because of her research and the cameraderie they held, even though she wasn't necessarily as "beautiful" or as concerned as looks as the priveledged younger sister who used her looks to build a company on her sister's research. Meanwhile with Maki becoming more or less crazy like the rest of the cast, Kazari takes the crown for the moment of the creepiest villain, through his manipulation of so many Core Medals within himself that he can create multi-part Greeed that slowly draw out desires or amplify what was meant to be a simple wish into an all-out obsession. The elder sister wanted to improve her image, but her wish was merely to impress Date; yet instead it mutates her into a complete man-stealing beauty queen (for a moment she reminded me of the Rose Gurongi from Kuuga without that crazy hair she gets) who doesn't even realize what she's doing until it's nearly too late. Oh...and the episode also gets points for the hysterical way Hina and Ankh "transformed" Eiji at the end...and before I forget: ShaUTa is another awesome combo that at least has water animals but doesn't need water around to work.

25-26 is a story that really should have had more implications but the resolution just turned out to bug me. I found it interesting that the story itself involved a boxer who essentially became washed up who can't enter the ring any more without essentially becoming irreversible in all of the damage and harm he has taken. Yet the one who takes up the interest in "helping" him is not a Greeed we've seen but one who "sort of seems like" Ankh, but not quite; possessing bird-like abilities and creating a bird Yummy to try and save the arm. Ankh during the whole thing acts suspicious in what he wants and is trying to do, restarting the suspicion on whose side he is on like the start even though adding to the mystery of why he seems so different from the other awakened Greeed. Oh course, Ankh's suspicion isn't because he is evil but he too is confused by what is going on...or may know something and there may actually be a connection between Ankh and this other bird Greeed that he just can't tell Eiji yet other than try to protect his own existence.

Unfortunately while most of this is good, the resolution with the boxer really felt rather ridiculous, with him ultimately deciding to go back into the ring after all this and ultimately die in it. I sort of didn't like that because it just felt more driven by whatever the Greeed awoke than his real intention, with most of the arc showing him fighting this desire to go back and keep fighting at the risk of his own health. There are other ways to be a boxer or stay in touch with boxing without stepping in the ring, particularly with his condition of having a shot arm and being punch drunk to the point that he could not only hurt his body but even get brain damage or other lasting impacts that could make him ultimately become worse still. Heck, look at Muhammad Ali: he's one of the greatest yet he boxed to the point that he got irreversible Parkinsons...and seeing "The Greatest" like this makes me worry that maybe this ending isn't such a good idea. I know they tried to parallel this with Eiji getting back up after Ankh nearly killed him using TaJaDor against the Parrot Yummy, but there is a difference there: Eiji is getting hurt but he still has a young body and supernatural powers assisting him throughout, whereas this guy is just a boxer assisted by a Yummy who will be back to where he was once it ended. Rehab can help restore things but ultimately lasting damages will still occur and the body just is never the same after a while. I guess that's sort of what ruined the episode for me: I get "never give up hope" but there are still limits and understandings of how one can do what they love when what they love is ripping them apart to unsavable conditions.

Next time...the plot goes on hold as it's Rider Anniversary season! (doing 27/28 and "Let's Go Kamen Rider"...the latter of which I hear is a mess but it will be my first Den-O exposure and should have some novelty)
Old November 4th, 2013, 04:42 PM #189
> TriumphRanger12
Power Ranger

eBay
TriumphRanger12
Power Ranger

eBay

This may not be super constructive but that is quite the amazing picture you posted there. The only Rider i watched was Black and it was soo amazing. His costume was my childhood.
TriumphRanger12 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 04:49 PM #190
> Rey_Alejandro
Hispanic at the disco

Rey_Alejandro
Hispanic at the disco

Despite what everyone says I still love Let's Go. I think it's the ending that really does it for me.
Rey_Alejandro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 05:01 PM #191
> Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

The thing with the ending is it's what kills everything. Like the story you can rationalize as you watch... then the ending happens.
Miraculous Bikkun is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 10:46 PM #192
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Maybe Let's Go Kamen Rider is just some commentary on huge crossovers of long-lasting series. Individually, parts can stand on their own (just as each season can tell a more or less consistent story), but when cobbled together, it's a nonsensical mess in continuity (from all the intra-franchise contradictions).

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Next time...the plot goes on hold as it's Rider Anniversary season! (doing 27/28 and "Let's Go Kamen Rider"...the latter of which I hear is a mess but it will be my first Den-O exposure and should have some novelty)
Now that's meta. Starting Den-O with its last major appearance, then jumping through Den-O's timeline later just to grant your wish.
Old November 5th, 2013, 05:54 AM #193
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

timegold wrote: View Post

Now that's meta. Starting Den-O with its last major appearance, then jumping through Den-O's timeline later just to grant your wish.
Never thought of it like that but it works. (well sort of...I will be doing a Rider next year but it's actually skipping past all the Heisei stuff to see Skyrider; Den-O may be snuck in somewhere in '15 I hope)
Old November 5th, 2013, 10:41 AM #194
> Acezero
Power Ranger

Acezero
Power Ranger

You know what I want see in Kamen Rider or Sentai: Alive Parents
Acezero is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 11:18 AM #195
> Merlin
Red Flame

Merlin
Red Flame

Lots of parents live in Sentai. Parents are often guests in focus episodes where the Ranger wants to be more independent or has different views from them. In some, like Timeranger, rebelling from what his parents wanted was the reason he became a Ranger, and he had to confront them later.

Shinkenger has everyone's relatives featured, I think only Yellow's parents were dead and she lived with her sister.

It happens less often in Kamen Rider because the main character is often a loner raised by someone else or gew up by himself. But Fourze is an optimistic example where the parents died, but they gave the Rider the wisdom he lives by and he was raised in a loving home by his grandparents. He didn't grow up bitter and hating life.

Eiji in OOO's parents are alive, but he turned his back on them.
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:09 PM #196
> Rey_Alejandro
Hispanic at the disco

Rey_Alejandro
Hispanic at the disco

Also Magiranger. Their parents are still alive and kicking. Kicking quite hard, actually.
Rey_Alejandro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 02:00 PM #197
> hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

Merlin wrote: View Post

Fourze is an optimistic example where the parents died, but they gave the Rider the wisdom he lives by and he was raised in a loving home by his grandparents.
"Obaachan tou Ojiisan ga Itteita..."
hasbro_primo is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 02:06 PM #198
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

...nevermind that the way they talk about Gen's parents, you think that they were leading up to something about it...but nope. It amounted to absolutely nothing.

This continues to frustrate me regarding the Rocket Head's series.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 04:56 PM #199
> Tokuman
Power Ranger

Tokuman
Power Ranger

What about Kabuto? Tendoh grew up pretty well considering his parents died and his grandmother taught him the wisdom that made him such a sophisticated man.
Tokuman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 06:21 PM #200
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

One of Wataru's parents was alive... ostracized, exiled, and treated as dead to the point that Wataru had to grow up an orphan, but at least he got some sort of reunion.

Tokuman wrote: View Post

What about Kabuto? Tendoh grew up pretty well considering his parents died and his grandmother taught him the wisdom that made him such a sophisticated man.
He did grow up well, but he was noticeably (if only slightly) affected by the loss of his parents, swearing revenge on their mimics and unintentionally causing problems for Hiyori.