Home Menu

Menu

Old December 28th, 2018, 07:16 AM #4261
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

May I the only one who doesn't have a problem with the Master Morpher?
Its not the master morpher itself, its just that its once again another thing thats exclusive To tommy when it shouldnt be.
mmprfan09 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2018, 08:15 AM #4262
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

That's true. You'd expect Kat, Rocky, and Adam to have them too.

BulkSkullSpike5934 wrote: View Post

Anyone else notice that the new issue of Beyond the Grid repeated the same chapter of the Ninjor/Blue Senturion story as the previous issue?
Yes. And that didn't need a spoiler tag.

MegaZeo wrote: View Post

So, uh... Issue #34 repeated Issue #33's chapter of "Adventures of Blue Senturion & Ninjor." Good job, guys.

Last edited by Digifiend; December 28th, 2018 at 08:15 AM.
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2018, 12:24 PM #4263
> MegaZeo
Shattered Plot

MegaZeo
Shattered Plot

Alright! Time for me to sit down for five minutes and come up with a better ending to Shattered Grid than what we got. This may have a couple stray, incomplete concepts here or there, but I think it'll be more satisfying overall.

*Cracks knuckles.*

Let's keep most of the story the same. There's still the big war between the Ranger army and Drakkon's forces. Rita, Zordon, Ninjor, and Doggie activate the Green Candle, which weakens Drakkon, causing him to lose all his extra powers and revert to his original "Lord Drakkon" Ranger form, but he fights against the Candle's effects before it can go any further. Perhaps he retaliates against the four, perhaps he doesn't get the chance. Either way, the MMPR intervene at this point. There's a fight with Drakkon, but as happened in his world, he gains the upper hand.

At this point, it's time to bring Tommy back. Now, I didn't have a problem with him returning at the end of the story (I wasn't dumb enough to think his death would be permanent), it was mainly how they did it. Let's say Rita uses her magic to undo one of Drakkon's actions (killing Tommy), or simply resurrects Tommy herself in order to take Drakkon out. Tommy helps, but it's not enough - In fact, Drakkon outright destroys Tommy's Dragon Coin. It's this victory over Tommy that gives the other five Rangers the distraction they need - Now, I'm not entirely sure what their "big gun" is in this part of the fight, but what I keep coming back to is they decide to beat Drakkon at his own game and perhaps Jason merges all five Power Coins together to form a Super Mighty Morphin Ranger, or maybe the Red MMPR and Gold Zeo powers. Either way, Jason pummels Drakkon enough that he can't focus on fighting off the Green Candle's magic, and it finishes its job, weakening Drakkon to the point that his Power Coins separate - Drakkon is left as the Green Ranger while the White Tiger Coin falls to the ground.

Tommy nabs the Tiger Coin and morphs into the White Ranger for the first time, and between Jason's Super Ranger and the White Ranger (and maybe some back up from the remaining Rangers in the army), Drakkon gets the ever loving crap beaten out of him, probably demorphing in the process. But just when it seems that the Rangers have won the day, Drakkon uses his dark magic for some type of final "I refuse to die alone!" attack that ends up taking out himself and the main five Rangers (leaving things open for the Rangers to return as the main team and Drakkon to eventually make a return appearance down the road - Not soon, but eventually). Tommy and all the other Rangers are left to pick up the pieces, the various dimensions still in shambles, but at least Drakkon is defeated.

This would go on to change Beyond the Grid, making it so that everyone is still around, trying to rebuild after Drakkon's invasion instead of having everyone stuck in another universe. Tommy is now the White Ranger, but he's even more of an outcast than he was before - While Zordon and Alpha know he's a good person, his team is gone, and every other Ranger he works with only know "him" as Lord Drakkon and basically want nothing to do with him (especially Ninjor). Despite this, the "Ranger League" do their best to repair the Morphin Grid and the universe itself, keep reality safe from evil (maybe Lord Zedd finally enters the fray, or perhaps Rito and Master Vile arrive to help their sister/daughter), and hope to one day bring the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers home safely... if they're even still alive anymore.

Yeah, I realize it's rather "first draft"-y and needs a bit of fine tuning, but overall, I think that's a much better conclusion to Shattered Grid than "I just wanted to be Superman because nobody loved me."
I played around with this idea a little more and came up with a couple add ons:

[The newly-combined Super Ranger emerges from the smoke, crackling MMPR-colored lightning across his body.]

JASON: "There's one thing you need to remember, 'Tommy.' Even in your dimension, when you took me on one-on-one... You lost."

DRAKKON: [Evil Tommy laugh] "That's quite a selective memory you've got there, Jason. Must I remind you I killed your counterpart in my world? Do you have any idea how easy it was? How quick? ...How painful?"

JASON: "Not as painful as this is gonna be! AI-YAH!"

[Jason strikes a battle pose and the two Rangers charge each other.]

On a less specific note, perhaps Goldar makes his return appearance during the final fight and witnesses Rita helping the Rangers from afar. Not fully understanding the context, Goldar mistakes this as evidence that Rita has turned to the light, or at least has no shame about allying with the likes of Zordon and Ninjor, and leaves Earth in order to report this turn of events to Lord Zedd, telling him that Rita has gone mad and that Earth needs his attention right away...

Or maybe Goldar does understand the context and decides to use this as an excuse to get rid of Rita anyway.
MegaZeo is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old December 28th, 2018, 08:06 PM #4264
> PR Master
Power Ranger

PR Master
Power Ranger

I played around with this idea a little more and came up with a couple add ons:

[The newly-combined Super Ranger emerges from the smoke, crackling MMPR-colored lightning across his body.]

JASON: "There's one thing you need to remember, 'Tommy.' Even in your dimension, when you took me on one-on-one... You lost."

DRAKKON: [Evil Tommy laugh] "That's quite a selective memory you've got there, Jason. Must I remind you I killed your counterpart in my world? Do you have any idea how easy it was? How quick? ...How painful?"

JASON: "Not as painful as this is gonna be! AI-YAH!"

[Jason strikes a battle pose and the two Rangers charge each other.]

On a less specific note, perhaps Goldar makes his return appearance during the final fight and witnesses Rita helping the Rangers from afar. Not fully understanding the context, Goldar mistakes this as evidence that Rita has turned to the light, or at least has no shame about allying with the likes of Zordon and Ninjor, and leaves Earth in order to report this turn of events to Lord Zedd, telling him that Rita has gone mad and that Earth needs his attention right away...

Or maybe Goldar does understand the context and decides to use this as an excuse to get rid of Rita anyway.
Good ideas...

Especially the green candle and Goldar. They could have used the green candle to strip Drakkon's powers in the Boom storyline but it was a wasted opportunity.
PR Master is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2018, 08:38 PM #4265
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

You know, I was thinking the other day about something with Soul. Do we have a year that Soul takes place? If so, honestly missed it. But it occurred to me, if this is in the future of the end of SPD...where's Sam? He came from the year 2040, so only 15 years into the future from when the show was taking place in 2025. So maybe it hasn't been long enough for Sam to make his way through the academy and become Omega, but it just randomly occurred to me that we see this future, and then they posted that pic of the new SPD team but you'd think Sam would be there.

And really, no need for 'Sam was stupid' yada yada. Yeah, they dropped the light ball on him in the show, everyone knows it. But just sayin, feels like he should be there, then again the timing may not line up.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2018, 04:17 AM #4266
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Bridge became the Red Ranger within two years, remember, so it could be any time after 2027. No exact year was mentioned, but I'd say it was some point in the 2030s. Sam is probably still a cadet without his ranger powers. Nova too.
Old December 29th, 2018, 05:16 AM #4267
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

Digifiend wrote: View Post

Bridge became the Red Ranger within two years, remember, so it could be any time after 2027. No exact year was mentioned, but I'd say it was some point in the 2030s. Sam is probably still a cadet without his ranger powers. Nova too.
And since Sentinel Knight brought Bridge back in time, it could have been sooner or longer than two years. Just because Matt Austin was two years older than when we last saw him doesn't mean that's how long it has been since Endings.
GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2018, 05:22 AM #4268
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Digifiend wrote: View Post

Yeah, I couldn't exactly remember the timeline for that so wasn't sure. So couldn't remember if any specific time had ever been given for things like Sky and Bridge's promotions and such.
Old December 29th, 2018, 09:45 AM #4269
> jaredstar
ranger fan

jaredstar
ranger fan

I have had some thoughts regarding Sam and who is to say that he became a ranger in the new timeline after all the events that would lead him to becoming a ranger and the development of the Omega Morpher and the Nova Morpher never happened
jaredstar is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2018, 03:10 PM #4270
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

If history was changed so that Omega Ranger never existed, then Nova Ranger couldn't have come to collect him in Endings. Your theory is impossible!
Old December 29th, 2018, 04:39 PM #4271
> jaredstar
ranger fan

jaredstar
ranger fan

Not necessarily Sam's presence in the past could be keeping the lack of a better word wound in time open thereby keeping the timeline from rectifying itself. Once Sam and Nova ranger return to the Future history would right itself to fit the new version of history
Old December 29th, 2018, 06:25 PM #4272
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

jaredstar wrote: View Post

Not necessarily Sam's presence in the past could be keeping the lack of a better word wound in time open thereby keeping the timeline from rectifying itself. Once Sam and Nova ranger return to the Future history would right itself to fit the new version of history
Or it's a DBZ scenario where Sam went back in time, changed things, so it set a new alt-timeline going since the whole point of him going back was to stop the rangers from being destroyed on that date anyways. Which is a significant change in history. But then Nova comes back, grabs Sam and he goes back to find nothing has changed. But since he changed events in that timeline, kid Sam of the present likely wouldn't join SPD at the same time or same way. Hell, maybe he doesn't even join at all.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old December 29th, 2018, 09:46 PM #4273
> OmniMystechRanger
SPECIAL MODERATOR, LORD, MASTER & BOSS OF STUPID UGLY FACE: GREENBEASTFIST & HASSO PRIMO

OmniMystechRanger
SPECIAL MODERATOR, LORD, MASTER & BOSS OF STUPID UGLY FACE: GREENBEASTFIST & HASSO PRIMO

Alitain wrote: View Post

Or it's a DBZ scenario where Sam went back in time, changed things, so it set a new alt-timeline going since the whole point of him going back was to stop the rangers from being destroyed on that date anyways. Which is a significant change in history. But then Nova comes back, grabs Sam and he goes back to find nothing has changed. But since he changed events in that timeline, kid Sam of the present likely wouldn't join SPD at the same time or same way. Hell, maybe he doesn't even join at all.
interesting as heck!
OmniMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2018, 12:53 AM #4274
> Veteran Ranger
Let's Ride

Veteran Ranger
Let's Ride

The Master Morpher ended up being yet another important and interesting detail that Soul of the Dragon completely glossed over. After it was introduced in "Dimensions in Danger," I feel that I wasn't alone in hoping that this comic was actually going to explain what it was or where it came from. Except, that doesn't even come close to happening in the story. At the end of the story, we don't know how Tommy regained his powers, who actually made the morpher, or why Tommy was the only person to receive one. By all means, there are multiple rangers who should have access to their own Master Morphers. If Tommy is the only one, then a reason should have been given.

Soul of the Dragon is ultimately just one colossal collection of missed opportunities and completely bungled executions of the ones they did take. As much as I agree with those who don't want to see the continued stroking of JDF's ego, I would actually welcome an on-screen version of this story if it gave them more room to correct many of these problems. Unfortunately, Soul of the Dragon was just too short of a story to properly do justice to every aspect and character that it needed to include. A television series would fix that.
Veteran Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2018, 01:18 AM #4275
> jaredstar
ranger fan

jaredstar
ranger fan

I think you have come to the Crux of the issue Jason David Frank more specifically the issues some on this board and the others seem to have with him at this point I honestly believe if it had been anybody else say for instance Austin st. John or Yost that most people would really care about the lack of backstory regarding the master Morpher
Old December 30th, 2018, 01:29 AM #4276
> Jerry
Hates "Let's Play"

Jerry
Hates "Let's Play"

Veteran Ranger wrote: View Post

By all means, there are multiple rangers who should have access to their own Master Morphers. If Tommy is the only one, then a reason should have been given.
My biggest issue with the Master Morpher is it only makes sense for Tommy and, at best, two other Rangers. I understand Tommy had five powers, and the powers-that-be think it would be cool if he could just cycle through them, but seems silly for anyone with less than three powers to have one.

I guess I'd be okay if Adam and Kat got one, but other than that? I see zero reason for another to exist.
Jerry is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2018, 01:37 AM #4277
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

I think you have come to the Crux of the issue Jason David Frank more specifically the issues some on this board and the others seem to have with him at this point I honestly believe if it had been anybody else say for instance Austin st. John or Yost that most people would really care about the lack of backstory regarding the master Morpher
I don't see why that's a problem. You're devoting all this extra time to this character and he's the one who always gets the new toys. If this was a book about Jason or Billy we wouldn't give two shits about the Master Morpher because it probably wouldn't exist because even for Tommy it has no narrative reason to exist. I wouldn't be shocked if it was part of JDF's demands for coming back in DiD and they just decided to continue to milk it.

In 2018, especially in a comic where budget is not an issue, we deserve better writing. Power Rangers has a nasty habit of just completely pulling things from it's ass and it has only gotten worse with age.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2018, 01:55 AM #4278
> Veteran Ranger
Let's Ride

Veteran Ranger
Let's Ride

People cared about how Jason got his powers back in Forever Red, and people still want to know what happened to Billy after he chose to remain on Aquitar. Even if it wasn't Tommy, I feel like fans would still care about the Master Morpher and where it came from. Bad writing is bad writing.

Jerry wrote: View Post

My biggest issue with the Master Morpher is it only makes sense for Tommy and, at best, two other Rangers. I understand Tommy had five powers, and the powers-that-be think it would be cool if he could just cycle through them, but seems silly for anyone with less than three powers to have one.

I guess I'd be okay if Adam and Kat got one, but other than that? I see zero reason for another to exist.
Tommy has the most ranger forms, but I don't see why other rangers with two or more power sets wouldn't have access to it. That goes double if it somehow allows rangers to access previously destroyed powers in a stable way. If it was supposed to be special and unique to Tommy, then the writers absolutely failed to make that clear.

I feel that it's absolutely shameful that "Power Rangers Legacy Wars: Street Fighter Showdown" explained more of its setting and any changes to Tommy's powers in less than eight minutes, than Soul of Dragon did with over one hundred pages.
Old December 30th, 2018, 02:10 AM #4279
> Jerry
Hates "Let's Play"

Jerry
Hates "Let's Play"

Veteran Ranger wrote: View Post

Tommy has the most ranger forms, but I don't see why other rangers with two or more power sets wouldn't have access to it. That goes double if it somehow allows rangers to access previously destroyed powers in a stable way. If it was supposed to be special and unique to Tommy, then the writers absolutely failed to make that clear.
I have a little bit higher of a bar than two powers. It just seems unnecessary and nonsensical to be giving these things out to Ashley, Cassie, TJ, Carlos, Rocky, and Tanya.

Buuuuut I'm a stickler, so.
Jerry is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2018, 02:29 AM #4280
> Veteran Ranger
Let's Ride

Veteran Ranger
Let's Ride

Jerry wrote: View Post

I have a little bit higher of a bar than two powers. It just seems unnecessary and nonsensical to be giving these things out to Ashley, Cassie, TJ, Carlos, Rocky, and Tanya.

Buuuuut I'm a stickler, so.
Well, it's also the fact that it seems to allow the user to safely access previously destroyed powers, as well as allow them to access their respective zords and arsenal. That's a pretty big deal considering how many zords and weapons that the original team had. As for Turbo, speed is pretty useful and it's something that the Zeo and Space powers simply didn't have to the same extent.

Tags
his time has come