Home Menu

Menu

Old February 18th, 2017, 03:46 PM #41
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

If I were to cast Sarabi and Nala, then the first names that come to my mind would be Viola Davis and Lupita Nyong'o respectively. Jennifer Hudson would also make a great Nala. It would be nice to hear Jeremy Irons as Scar again, but I'm not sure if he'd be able to sing "Be Prepared" today. He wasn't that strong of a singer and Jim Cummings had to do the second-half of the song for him. Cummings recently debunked the long rumor that Irons had a sore throat and couldn't finish the song.

https://twitter.com/Jimcummingsacme/...ampaign=buffer

https://www.facebook.com/jim.cumming...55196602008881

Last edited by ranger_scout; May 26th, 2017 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Adding word I forgot to include
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 05:52 PM #42
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

It's total fan-wank casting, but Benedict Cumberbatch has a perfect gravitas for Scar. Though he is currently doing the voice for Shere Khan in the "other" Jungle Book mo-cap remake. So that's not gonna happen.
Spoony Spoonerson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 09:43 PM #43
> DigificWriter
Banned

DigificWriter
Banned

Using CG to recreate the characters and environments of The Lion King really doesn't count as "live-action", so I don't see the point of taking that approach, especially given the fact that they've already established how the characters of the film can be believably realized by flesh-and-blood actors through the theatrical adaptation of the story.
DigificWriter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 09:44 PM #44
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

DigificWriter wrote: View Post

Using CG to recreate the characters and environments of The Lion King really doesn't count as "live-action", so I don't see the point of taking that approach, especially given the fact that they've already established how the characters of the film can be believably realized by flesh-and-blood actors through the theatrical adaptation of the story.
Believably realized for the stage, yes. On a movie screen, they would inspire laughter and be a constant distraction.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 09:46 PM #45
> Kaigan
Banned

Kaigan
Banned

Because on Broadway that works fine. For a feature film it would look fucking stupid.
Kaigan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 09:50 PM #46
> DigificWriter
Banned

DigificWriter
Banned

Kaigan wrote: View Post

For a feature film it would look fucking stupid.
Why? What is about the tribal-inspired character designs of the theatrical adaptation's costumes that would make them look different on film than they look in the theater?
DigificWriter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 09:55 PM #47
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

And for a Feature Film all about musical singing & talking animals I can't help but think a hyper realistic CGI movie would not be the best thing to do. Sure something like Circle of Life would be fine, but how do you restage Be Prepared in a way that is still visually interesting while keeping your bastion of "Live Action"?

Why? What is about the tribal-inspired character designs of the theatrical adaptation's costumes that would make them look different on film than they look in the theater?
Because stage show is done in a way a movie cannot. If you're not filming the stage show just co-opting Julie Taymor's designs makes not a lick of sense. This isn't going to be an art house movie.
Xenotome is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 10:49 PM #48
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

It isn't believably realized by flesh and blood actors though. The stage play is stylized, it's not designed as believably realized by flesh and blood actors. The story can be told that way easily because it's Hamlet in animal costumes, but that doesn't make the visual work for all mediums and formats.

Because the nature of theater allows for that unnatural space on a character. The idea of someone wearing a gazelle on their head is fine because that's how theater works as a medium, the audience accepts the human figure there because it has to be there. A movie does not work like that, you get to put a camera up close to the character, you get multiple angles, you get POV and wideshots and settings. You go in understanding the difference between stage and screen, or at the very least you learn it by experiencing a play versus a movie and realize the limitations of how you convey a story on stage.

If it was a big budget film version of the stage play, that'd be one thing, but doing a live action version of the cartoon relies on more realism than the stage play's designs are meant for. Especially if its being done in the style of the Jungle Book live action film.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 07:06 PM #49
> PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

what if Matthew Broderick returned to voice Adult Simba? is Donald Glover only going to do the young, Cub Simba?
PopCultureLover06 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 11:44 AM #50
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Production is going to begin in May.

http://comicbook.com/popculturenow/2...roduction-may/

Also, this article about the success of Beauty and the Beast and other live-action remakes or re-imaginings says that Favreau has temporarily put his sequel to The Jungle Book on hold to focus on this film.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/beauty-a...on-1202047710/
Old March 24th, 2017, 04:16 PM #51
> PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

i know they announced they plan to do a live-action Aladdan film, but has a live action Little Mermaid film been confirmed, announced yet?
PopCultureLover06 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:38 PM #52
> Xeros
Power Ranger

Xeros
Power Ranger

PopCultureLover06 wrote: View Post

i know they announced they plan to do a live-action Aladdan film, but has a live action Little Mermaid film been confirmed, announced yet?
I think it has actually.
Xeros is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 06:26 PM #53
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Beyonce is Favreauís top choice to voice Nala. However, she hasn't accepted the role yet because she's pregnant with twins. They might try to work out her schedule if she does decide to do it.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/be...la-1202019931/

Even if you're doing voice acting, it might not be good if you're about to have a baby. Terri Hawkes couldn't continue as the title character for the original dub of Sailor Moon because she also was about to have twins when Cloverway acquired the rights to dub the third and fourth seasons.

Last edited by ranger_scout; March 30th, 2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Fixing spelling mistake.
Old March 30th, 2017, 06:35 PM #54
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Leading a TV show where you have to yell quite a bit for several weeks at a time versus a role where she doesn't do much. However since they're pretty much flat calling this a voice acting role can we stop calling it a Live Action remake?
Old March 30th, 2017, 06:51 PM #55
> Nasaniaru
PR BACK IN ACTION!!!

Nasaniaru
PR BACK IN ACTION!!!

This may be the first and maybe only time I post in this thread so I'll try to make it a good one. Why don't both sides throw their flags for "Live Action" and "Animated" out of the water and compromise by each side agreeing to say "Photorealistic?"
Nasaniaru is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 06:52 PM #56
> Matt C
VIP Ranger

Matt C
VIP Ranger

Xeros wrote: View Post

I think it has actually.
It's in very early stages, no writer yet as far as I know. They just have a producer, plus Alan Menken and Lin-Manuel Miranda writing new songs.
Matt C is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 07:20 PM #57
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Nasaniaru wrote: View Post

This may be the first and maybe only time I post in this thread so I'll try to make it a good one. Why don't both sides throw their flags for "Live Action" and "Animated" out of the water and compromise by each side agreeing to say "Photorealistic?"
Even calling it photo realistic is incredibly stupid when you're doing a "photo realistic" musical adaptation of a movie with visuals featuring nazi symbolism.

How do you do this song in a realistic setting and still have it be an interesting scene/song?

Circle of Life will look cool, but that's about it.
Old March 31st, 2017, 02:37 PM #58
> Nasaniaru
PR BACK IN ACTION!!!

Nasaniaru
PR BACK IN ACTION!!!

Well, if Disney, Jon Favreau and co. are trying to do what The Jungle Book did, they are probably trying to get these animals as close to real as possible, and try to get as far away from being a cartoon as possible as well. The only difference between a real lion and this interpretation of The Lion King lion is that they will be able to talk. They will be trying to make this look as close to happening in the real world as possible. Therefore they'll be trying to nail a "realistic" look.
Old March 31st, 2017, 03:00 PM #59
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Nasaniaru wrote: View Post

Well, if Disney, Jon Favreau and co. are trying to do what The Jungle Book did, they are probably trying to get these animals as close to real as possible, and try to get as far away from being a cartoon as possible as well. The only difference between a real lion and this interpretation of The Lion King lion is that they will be able to talk. They will be trying to make this look as close to happening in the real world as possible. Therefore they'll be trying to nail a "realistic" look.
That sounds boring as shit. The Lion King is not realistic and you know they're not going to actually go all the way with it. Its climax is Scar & Simba fighting & the hyenas eating Scar. You can get away with that in animation, but what justification do you have for not showing the damage two lions are doing to each other in your "realistic" approach to this movie? Because you know they won't show it because it's still a kids movie.

Above all else, it is a musical and it is not in the vein of Chicago musical where it's all in their heads.

If I wanted to watch Hamlet, I'd watch Hamlet. If I wanted to go to the zoo, I'd go to the zoo. What I don't really care about is the zoo doing Hamlet without the theatricality in the visuals.
Old March 31st, 2017, 03:19 PM #60
> Nasaniaru
PR BACK IN ACTION!!!

Nasaniaru
PR BACK IN ACTION!!!

For that scene, they can easily show that off-screen just like the original did. And as for boring, it's all about characterization. If they can get the characters to be likeable, interesting, and maybe a bit relatable, the drama that they will be going through will be all the more intriguing.

If Mufasa is as cool of a dad as he was in the original, because they will be going for a far more realistic "look" his death could be even more impactful than it was in the original. And if they can get Simba's character spot on, his emotional story arc will be all the more heartbreaking when his dad dies, and how he deals with that, his growth and maturity, and then his final climactic fight will be even more intense because it will feel more real than the cartoon.

Now, if you enjoyed the photo-realistic Jungle Book, that is probably what they will be going for with this Lion King. I mean, the final battle between Scar and Simba will be so much more intense because you will not have the slight mental insulation that watching a cartoon comes with. This will look real and because of it, it will feel even more real than the cartoon.

To sum up, it all comes down to these three following questions:
1. Did you enjoy the original Lion King?
2. Did you enjoy the photorealistic Jungle Book?
3. Do you have faith that this team can hit it out of the park again with the characters, and plot progression?

If you answered yes to all three, then bringing the original story of The Lion King into a world that looks much more real than the original cartoon, every drama beat will be intensified, and every triumph of the characters that you are rooting for will be all the more rewarding because it will be as if you are actually seeing these events fold out in "The Real World" now. And as for theatrical visuals, I can't wait to see that final battle. It will be emotionally intense. And I hope that if you see it, you get as much out of it as I hope to get out of it myself, if not even more so.