Menu

Closed

Old June 12th, 2018, 09:14 PM #1
> Mythdon
Howling Wolf!

Mythdon
Howling Wolf!

Why "Super" seasons are/were both a good and a bad thing

Don't get me wrong, I hate waiting two years in between each series and only getting 20 episodes a year, but at the same time, it's also what's allowed Saban and now Hasbro to do more of what they want with the franchise and I think by not continuing the one year trend from Zeo-RPM, it's given them more creative control over the franchise.

I mean, I still hate that ToQger hasn't been adapted, but at the same, I'm actually glad that the show isn't slave to adapting the "new" Sentai series anymore and they can now pick and choose the best series to adapt. There are like 4 Sentai (ToQger, Zyouhger, Kyuranger and Lupinranger VS Patranger) that still haven't been adapted yet not counting the pre-Zyu ones. They could even do something similar to Alien Rangers and adapt them as minor Ranger characters. You see, all the possibilities that came out of this dreaded Super season crap. Plus, it keeps the mystery alive for once because we'll never know anymore what the next PR series will be based on the SentaI (like when I first discovered SentaI, I knew the 2008 PR series was going to be about beast martial arts).

That and toy sales. Toys make the show, so it also gives them power to adapt the series that'll probably make the best sales. Without the toy sales, there wouldn't be a show. As an adult fan, I know they have to put the target audience first.

But anyways, I hated having to go through 8 years of 20 episode seasons, but on the bright side, it's given PR something it never had during the Mighty Morphin-RPM era.

I'm alson looking forward to how Beast Morphers will turn out. And while Dino Charge and Ninja Steel were some fine seasons in the Saban Brands Era, that era was still definitely missing something (but I can't put my finger on it). I'm pretty eager to see what Hasbro does with future Sentai adaptations.
Old June 13th, 2018, 12:27 AM #2
> CalmXXCaliber
Monarch of the Forest

CalmXXCaliber
Monarch of the Forest

I would be inclined to agree with you if I thought it had actually changed things for the better, But Sadly its been missed opportunity after missed opportunity, really we're not getting anything we haven't seen already only now its coming in the form of 20 episodes per year.

Pretty much the only thing that has changed creatively is that the writing is now god awful and most of the characters don't seem to matter then Saban collects his big pay check at the end of the month.
Old June 13th, 2018, 01:43 AM #3
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

I hate them. Too many breaks which slows down the momentum and makes the story feel disjointed. Especially with the like long gap between the two series
Old June 13th, 2018, 03:02 AM #4
> Mythdon
Howling Wolf!

Mythdon
Howling Wolf!

toejammer wrote: View Post

I hate them. Too many breaks which slows down the momentum and makes the story feel disjointed. Especially with the like long gap between the two series
Hopefully someday they'll stop with this 2 year crap. I was mainly saying the delay gave the franchise more options.
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:00 AM #5
> StriderXanthos
Power Ranger

StriderXanthos
Power Ranger

Let's See:
-Super Samurai improved upon the acting with a better storyline that sometimes deviated from Shinkenger, but still had wasted plot points and stupidity that went noticed.
-Super Megaforce didn't have tribute episodes for the other teams, had 3 filler episodes that would've made more sense to add in Megaforce, catered to the Sentai only teams, and the villains except Vrak and arguably Vekar were too cliche, with the main villain never being foreshadowed until late in the season.
-Super Dino Charge had 1/3 of its season being mixed with filler plots, character assssinations or lack of character depth for a part of the show with the exception of Chase, Koda, and Riley, the Zenowing and Arcanonn plots were inroduced too late into the season, and the auxiliary rangers didn't do nearly as much as they were hyped up to do.
-Super Ninja Steel's plots are bobasted with filler plots despite handing Victor and Monty slighty better, only one of the rangers has substanial focus that expands their character, Calvin started becoming a questionable boyfriend, and the Galactic Ninjas plotline have a major plothole.
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:52 AM #6
> Cammy
This cage demeans us both

Cammy
This cage demeans us both

But isn't Beast Morphers supposed to improve on the episode count/split season issue? I didn't like it either and it was one of the reasons I stopped even though they're on Netflix.
Closed