Home Menu

Menu

Old April 24th, 2017, 09:54 AM #21
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

ShadowDragonRanger wrote: View Post

Outstanding work as usual. Love the flair delivered in your style - a way with details and depth to the narrative. I appreciate that there's quite a number of allusions and it seems like even a little glimmer of your own universe peeking through in some spots...or maybe I'm just seeing things. Atmosphere is an important factor in a story like this and I feel that you convey it in just the right way.

I'm enjoying what's been put on display so far and we're getting a sense of who these precursor Rangers were. It will be interesting to see what we come across as this reaches its inevitable conclusion. One of the best things about a "start of darkness" is the journey.
Without a doubt, there are inevitable glimmers of my Saga universe peeking through- but I've tried very hard to keep it to a minimum. The fall of a hero is always one of the most entertaining stories that there are- and I can't wait to see the "why" and "how" to this story.

Thank you for the kind words- its always a pleasure to take you guys on this journey.
BattleRanger is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 08:11 PM #22
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Sneak peek of Chapter Three

Rita Repulsa laid on the stiff, military grade cushion that, along with a patched wool blanket, was her sanctuary away from the world beyond her quarters. A single leg bent at the knee, she thumbed through various newfeeds on her data tab. War, rumors of war, images of death and destruction. She had no idea how some people could stare at such disturbing visuals all day. Her disregard of the graphic coverage withstanding, she was no dainty flower. She had learned early on to put on a hard face and act tough- even when she wanted to fall apart. Her life was never easy- but she hated anyone’s assumptions that she would court their sympathy and remorse. She saw the trials of her life as the blacksmith’s fires- tempering her, making her strong. Woe be to anyone who would question her resolve.

An escaping yawn was quickly stifled. Dropping to the cold floor, she began her normal routine of press-ups- one-handed, knuckle, exploder, and then concluded in a set where she maintained her center of gravity across her head and shoulders, keeping her legs extended into the air. She knew the low gravity of the space ship was doing her conditioning no favors. She refused a slow death out amongst the stars.

Purposefully slowing her breathing, she began springing back and forth on the balls of her feet, flexing her arms forward as blades in the air, making no sound as her tone and fit frame bounced across the floor. Her reflexes and strength were already augmented through her connection to the Morphing Grid through her Power Coin, but she refused to rest on the power of mystical energy forces and biomechanical armors. She knew too full well how soon such luxuries and comforts could be stripped away from a person.

Sweat ran down her face as she felt the burn of her calisthenics in her muscles, feeling truly alive as she did anytime she tested her limits. Her self-discipline was what had made her the most touted sleeper agent in the Confederated forces. It was one of the few things she took pride in.
Old June 9th, 2017, 10:51 AM #23
> Deka_Break
"Red Ranger Power!"

Deka_Break
"Red Ranger Power!"

Chapter 3???
Deka_Break is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 05:46 AM #24
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

In due time. Been busy as hell lately, but this is a priority!
Old August 6th, 2017, 10:25 PM #25
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Chapter Three

The Tryforian Sector …

From end to end, the robotic dragon known as Serpentara measured roughly five-hundred meters. The flagship vessel of the Nemesian Armies, the great serpent was a terrifying remnant of an age older than the galaxy itself. From his command chair, Lord Zedd sat clothed in a crimson body suit with sparse panels of jet black armor. More human than his reputation would invoke, his shoulder-length black hair framed his strong jaw and ice-blue eyes.

“My lord,” a voice came from the darkness of Serpentara’s control deck. Out of the shadows came a massive, living gargoyle, clothed in crimson armor.

“Three quadrafighters on security patrol at Regada Two are missing. Remote analysis of the sector revealed star fighter debris. It’s my summation that they have been destroyed.”

Zedd growled a response. “Thank you, Rubitron.” The heavily muscled beast was more than Zedd’s master warrior and General- he was the lastest in a long line of warriors known as the Pack. Curated from an aggressive race of Lamians, the Pack grew up in arenas all over the Nemesian Empire. At an early age, they acquired a thirst for blood and hunger for violence. Only the most honored warriors were chosen by Zedd’s emissaries and presented before the Lord of Nemesis. If chosen, they were then allowed to join his Imperial Guard.

Rubitron was, however, more than a Lamian alpha male- as his name would suggest, he was more machine than beast, thanks to a near fatal defeat at the hands of Eltar’s Power Rangers. His left arm and torso were solid transtium, his left eye now an optical system that allowed him unmatched accuracy and a range of sensors and scanners unique to his own cybernetic system.

Rubitron took a step forward, nearly bowing at the throne of his master. “My lord, do you wish me to place your forces on alert?”

“Negative,” he snarled. “We have a Zeo Crystal and therefore, the upper hand. If that fool, Zordon, were to try anything, I’d wipe him and his entire team out of existence.” With a wave of his armored hand, the dark lord dismissed the warrior. While Zedd projected confidence and unwavering strength, he knew better than to take the Eltarian-born soldier lightly. After arming the tribal knights of the Dairakun against the Royal Armies of Eltar, Zedd had come face to face with the freshly enlisted Red Ranger. It was an encounter neither would soon forget.

Rita Repulsa laid on the stiff, military grade cushion that, along with a patched wool blanket, was her sanctuary away from the world beyond her quarters. A single leg bent at the knee, she thumbed through various newsfeeds on her data tab. War, rumors of war, images of death and destruction. She had no idea how some people could stare at such disturbing visuals all day. Her disregard of the graphic coverage withstanding, she was no dainty flower. She had learned early on to put on a hard face and act tough- even when she wanted to fall apart. Her life was never easy- but she hated anyone’s assumptions that she would court their sympathy and remorse. She saw the trials of her life as the blacksmith’s fires- tempering her, making her strong. Woe be to anyone who would question her resolve.

An escaping yawn was quickly stifled. Dropping to the cold floor, she began her normal routine of press-ups- one-handed, knuckle, exploder, and then concluded in a set where she maintained her center of gravity across her head and shoulders, keeping her legs extended into the air. She knew the low gravity of the space ship was doing her conditioning no favors. She refused a slow death out amongst the stars.

Purposefully slowing her breathing, she began springing back and forth on the balls of her feet, flexing her arms forward as blades in the air, making no sound as her tone and fit frame bounced across the floor. Her reflexes and strength were already augmented through her connection to the Morphing Grid through her Power Coin, but she refused to rest on the power of mystical energy forces and biomechanical armors. She knew too full well how soon such luxuries and comforts could be stripped away from a person.

Sweat ran down her face as she felt the burn of her calisthenics in her muscles, feeling truly alive as she did anytime she tested her limits. Her self-discipline was what had made her the most touted sleeper agent in the Confederated forces. It was one of the few things she took pride in.

A sudden tri-tone from her door heralded the arrival of Zordon, her most trusted friend.

“Enter,” she welcomed. The door hatch slid open and the Red Ranger cautiously stepped in. He carried a black cargo case in his right hand.

“You don’t mind a few extra outfits, do you?” he smiled, glancing at the rack across the room weighed down with various suits and clothes. A grin breaking her sweat-soaked face, she playfully slinked over to the rack.

“Oh, you know, I’m sure I can manage.” Stepping towards the Green Ranger, Zordon triggered the release on the case, revealing its contents- a black body suit and black armor featuring the rhombus of the Nemesian forces.

“Black … my favorite color,” she smirked. Zordon swallowed hard and sighed.

“You don’t have to go through with this. I’m sure there’s another way.”

“Look, I get it. What you’re doing is very kind- but it’s becoming a little unnerving. I can handle my own. I am a Power Ranger, after all.” Realizing the folly of trying to talk his friend out of the mission, Zordon straightened his face and stood tall. Looking down at the beautiful woman he had known for over a decade, he nodded.

“Fine. You get in, you destroy the Zeo Crystal, and you trigger your retrieval signal. Alpha will teleport you out before Zedd even knows what hit him.” He almost choked on the words. He and the others had taken a sacred oath to protect the Zeo Crystals- but Regada Two was now a ghost world. Its Zeo Crystal had been stripped from its very core and its entire population, six hundred million living, breathing souls, murdered in an instant. In the dark lord’s unforgiving hands, what had once brought life to worlds was now capable of destroying them.

“See? A simple in-and-out job.” Her ego getting the best of her, Zordon quickly shut her down.

“Do NOT underestimate Lord Zedd. His cruelty knows no bounds. If you are discovered, death will be a welcome escape to the terrors you will suffer at his hands. There is nothing simple about this.”

“Well, let’s just pray that my power will protect me.”

Zordon scoffed. He knew Rita well enough to know when she was bluffing. Another tri-tone announced the arrival of Princess Mi. She glanced around the room and nodded at Zordon.

“Umon is requesting your presence on the command deck,” she informed the Red Ranger. Nodding in return, he met Rita’s eyes and, after a momentary glance that conveyed more than the two dared speak, followed the Pink Ranger into the ship’s main atrium.

Hovering in the space above the circular indention in the ship’s command center swirled a representation of the Eurolean Arm of the M51 Galaxy. Bright pinpoints of light indicated the planets in the Confederation of Free Planets. Quickly the image shifted to that of a single planet, dominated by majestic blue oceans and continents of rock and verdant plains. As the image projectors focused and increased the resolution, the entranceway rolled open, receiving the Black and Red Rangers, respectively.

“Is this it?” Zordon asked, observing the primordial orb.

“Our long-range scanners picked up zeonic energy signatures from its core. It’s already teeming with life.”

“Intelligent?”

“Doubtful, at this stage. It’s still a very young world.”

Zordon’s brow furrowed. “If our scanners picked it up, no doubt Zedd may have discovered it as well.” He stared at the distant world. It looked so similar to his home of Eltar. He swore it was almost like someplace familiar, as if he were somehow connected to it.

“Master, we’ve arrived at the Regada System,” Alpha 5’s voice snapping Zordon out of his daydream.

Nodding, the Red Ranger glanced at Umon. “Shut down all non-essential systems. We cannot afford detection.” His orders in hand, the Black Ranger headed for the forward bridge.

The Viper-class quad-engine fighter was a single pilot star fighter, heavily armed with four plasma cannons mounted on its four engine foils. The well-rounded fighter bore no obvious weaknesses. In the skies above the worlds of the Confederated Systems, they were a harbinger of death and destruction

Rita had never seen one this close. In dock at the hidden, Eltarian-controlled asteroid cluster known as Corinth, her eyes sat fixed on the carbon scored skin of the fighter. Commandeered almost a month earlier, it bore the unique ‘Z’ symbol of the Nemesian Armies across its bow. Sitting on the outer rim of the Regada System, Corinth was all that remained of a massive drilling operation prior to the system falling into the hands of the vile Lord Zedd. It now harbored refugees from war-torn planets across the system.

The Green Ranger was a skilled a pilot as any in the Confederacy, but piloting a missing fighter into a Nemesian controlled system was, as Danok had pointed out a day before, a suicide mission. Unfortunately, it was still Rita’s best shot at joining Zedd’s forces so that she could destroy the stolen Zeo crystal.

“Are you ready?” Zordon asked, placing a hand on Rita’s shoulder. She forced a smile.

“What difference would it make? Every second Zedd possesses the crystal, the closer he is to having access to systems untouched by his tyranny.”

“Rita, I know it hasn’t been easy for you since being chosen. I have fought for you- but the team will finally see what I’ve always known was inside you- loyalty and courage- when you return.”

“I do not need the blessing of your friends, Zordon of Eltar. I do this because I believe in the mission.” Rita cinched up the black suit of her pilot’s uniform as she read the critical systems screen from the boarding ladder. By her observations, the ship was ready for departure. She turned past Zordon and descended the steps, grabbing a tote from the hangar’s floor. A few feet away, the rest of Zordon’s team sat gathered around a hologram of her destination- Regada Five. Her stomach churned and sweat began to bead on her forehead. She forced down the fear into the pit of her stomach as she felt the strong arms of the Red Ranger embrace her.

Too weary to resist, she leaned against Zordon’s chest. She did not trust him, not fully- but she was more confident in him than the others. She knew he had her best interests at heart- but he had never known the struggles she had to endure. Having viewed the world from his royal palace, with his every need tended, he was, in her mind, weak. Too weak to be trusted. Combing the hair from her face, he turned Rita around and looked into her eyes.

“And I believe in you.” With that, Zordon joined the other Rangers across the hangar. The word settling into her heart, Rita tossed the tote into the cockpit and climbed the ladder, sitting in the control chair. She engaged the ship’s pre-flight systems as the forward canopy shifted backwards into position. The engines rumbling to life, the cacophony of systems alerted their ‘ready’ statuses.

Zordon watched as the ship rose off the ground, its landing gears receding into its fuselage. Bearing towards the launch tube, the quadrafighter's four prominent sublight engines glowed and the craft vanished into the void beyond.

“May the Power protect you,” the Red Ranger whispered.

Author's note- I apologize for how long this chapter took. Between working alot of overtime and finding out that I have 3 herniated disks in my back, I've been working on this at a slow, but steady pace. I'm currently debating on how Rita's fall will take place- whether it will be deliberate or if Zedd will turn her. We all know where the story will end up- with the opening scene of the Power Rangers movie. Connecting the dots that lead up to this is the fun part.

On that note, there are alot of things in the movie that I feel could be embellished or added to- for example, what sort of things did Billy's dad find at the mine prior to the movie? I'm sure there are alot of neat things to explore there, including what Apex (introduced in the Aftershock graphic novel) are up to prior and during the events of the movie. Hmmm. More on that later.

Last edited by BattleRanger; August 7th, 2017 at 02:06 AM.
Old August 30th, 2017, 11:25 AM #26
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

So as I'm working on the next chapter, I'm still trying to decide what path to take Rita on- will she willingly defect to Zedd's army or will Zedd seduce her to the darkness? We all know where her arc takes her, but I'm just unsure of what will be the most rewarding and entertaining path to take.

As with most of my works, I'm looking for feedback from the readers to help craft this story- so please, drop a comment, let me know what you think.
Old September 1st, 2017, 05:21 PM #27
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Sneak peek of Chapter Four

Danok closed the galley and retired to his quarters after a small meal. The inventory suggested that the Rangers would need to restock the essential portions. While the ship was capable of synthesizing various meats and plants and converting hydrogen into drinking water, it still required a supply of the common elements. Many worlds dealt BPSB (basic portion strand base) cartridges but the Blue Ranger was a bit more old-fashioned. A sport hunter, he spent his free time exploring uncharted corners of the galaxy, tasting the local cuisine, and stocking up on exotic game he himself had taken. But here, in the war-torn system of Regada, such luxuries were few and far between.

The oldest of the group, Danok had been born to a political family on Tarmac Five and had joined the Confederate Academy right out of graduate school. Then, the death of a Ranger team from the planet Aquitar at the outbreak of the Dathos Crusades meant a new team would be drafted. The Morphing Masters read the signs in the stars and interpreted the will of the Morphing Grid. Danok, 25 years old, soon found himself before the Council of Masters on Eltar. Following a final test, the Grid “chose” Danok to be the Blue Power Ranger when the azure Power Coin bonded to his lifeforce.

As the Blue Ranger cleaned up and prepared to dress into his nightwear, a warbling alarm pierced the silence. He instantly recognized it as a long-range panic alarm. Rushing out of his quarters and crossing the ship’s main atrium, the ship’s access systems connected the appropriate doorway. Stepping onto the bridge, Danok acknowledged the alarm as the system decoded the details. Based on the signal’s source location and signature, he knew it meant only one thing- the Green Ranger was in trouble.
Old October 1st, 2017, 08:12 AM #28
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

A little bit of bad news- my computer crashed (had this happen while writing The Rising Storm, which never recovered from that loss) so I'm not sure when this will pick up again. Gotta get back on my feet again first and see what files I've been able to keep. Thanks for the interest in this story guys, its not over, but definitely on hold for a little bit.

UPDATE

Since I've been working on this story at work, I had the original handwritten notes and just managed to rework the chapter from these. Just posted and anxiously awaiting you guys to tell me what you think!

Last edited by BattleRanger; October 7th, 2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old October 7th, 2017, 11:48 AM #29
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Chapter Four

Danok closed the galley and retired to his quarters after a small meal. The inventory suggested that the Rangers would need to restock the essential portions. While the ship was capable of synthesizing various meats and plants and converting hydrogen into drinking water, it still required a supply of the common elements. Many worlds dealt BPSB (basic portion strand base) cartridges but the Blue Ranger was a bit more old-fashioned. A sport hunter, he spent his free time exploring uncharted corners of the galaxy, tasting the local cuisine, and stocking up on exotic game he himself had taken. But here, in the war-torn system of Regada, such luxuries were few and far between.

The oldest of the group, Danok had been born to a political family on Tarmac Five and had joined the Confederate Academy right out of graduate school. Then, the death of a Ranger team from the planet Aquitar at the outbreak of the Dathos Crusades meant a new team would be drafted. The Morphing Masters read the signs in the stars and interpreted the will of the Morphing Grid. Danok, 25 years old, soon found himself before the Council of Masters on Eltar. Following a final test, the Grid “chose” Danok to be the Blue Power Ranger when the azure Power Coin bonded to his lifeforce.

As the Blue Ranger cleaned up and prepared to dress into his nightwear, a warbling alarm pierced the silence. He instantly recognized it as a long-range panic alarm. Rushing out of his quarters and crossing the ship’s main atrium, the ship’s access systems connected the appropriate doorway. Stepping onto the bridge, Danok acknowledged the alarm as the system decoded the details. Based on the signal’s source location and signature, he knew it meant only one thing- the Green Ranger was in trouble.

12 hours earlier …

The Quadrafighter’s life support systems were small, but adequate for the space it controlled. The Green Ranger paid no mind to the incredibly complex system as she passed through the gas clouds marking the edge of Regada Five's boundaries. With a few specific swipes of the ships’ main console, the quartet of engines cut power and hidden systems began to cast an interference signal, allowing the craft to enter the planet’s atmosphere undetected.

As the ship descended, Rita was struck by the sight of swarms of similar starcraft, all uniform enough to be indistinguishable but all modified and specific to the needs and preferences of their pilots. In the midst of the fighters flew the massive flagship Zord of the Nemesian Armies. The Green Ranger audibly gasped as the celadon dragon snaked through the clouds. Using a dark cloud as a momentary cover, Rita cut the stealth systems and joined the ranks of the fighters flanking Serpentara.

Her heart in her throat, Rita maneuvered the nimble ship with the skill and ease of only an experienced pilot- but not even her natural abilities could have prepared her for the shock and awe she experienced in the shadow of Lord Zedd’s machine of terror. Without warning, the control yokes froze, the console and HUD going dark. A trilling sound filled the cockpit as Rita fought to regain control of the craft.

“Blast it!” she cursed, as the ship banked under some unknown power. Suddenly, a company of fighters appeared at the wings of the remotely-commandeered ship. It was in this instant, Rita knew there was no escape. She threw all of her weight against the right side of the cockpit in an attempt to veer into her escort, but the ship’s stabilizers proved too great. Nearing the flying serpent, she watched as a hangar across the stern of the tail open to receive her and her escort.

Passing through the magnetic field that sealed the hangar bay off from the outside elements, she found herself greeted by a host of armed Nemesian soldiers. A whirring sound beneath her indicated that the landing gears had locked into place. As troops circled the craft, rifles ready, the Master Warrior Rubitron stepped forward.

“Arms ready!” he commanded. The soldiers aimed for the ship’s sockpit in response. “Commander, open the hatch." A couple of red diamondbacks popped the hatch seals, gases hissing in its wake.

“Show yourself!” Rubitron shouted. Slowing her breathing, Rita stood up, her hands raised above her head.

“I’m unarmed!” she pleaded, her voice cracking with uncharacteristic desperation and fear. Rubitron observed the woman with curious eyes.

“You think me for a fool? I can sense the power coursing through you. It’s not every day we are graced with the presence of a Power Ranger."

“If you are so confident in your assessment, then you know that you and your men are already dead!” Rita replied, an arc of emerald energy blasting forth from her chest, the armorweave of her suit searing onto her skin. In an instant, the Green Ranger stood before the Nemesian forces. Surging forth, the diamondbacks fired wildly in an attempt to hit the quick and agile intruder. Rita cut through the warm of soldiers, breaking bone and shattering armor- but the numbers were too great. In a burst of light, the Green Ranger produced her Dragon Dagger, a long knife projecting a jade-colored energy blade from its edge.

However, her best efforts were not enough. Outnumbered and overpowered, the Nemesian troops poured on. No less than a dozen held the Green Ranger down. Fighting against her captors, she suddenly found herself face to face with the Lord of Nemesis himself. Reaching down to take hold of her Power Coin, Lord Zedd pulled the coin free, tendrils of energy desperately reaching out from the coin as her armor vanished.

“Where is your power now? Hmmm? Where is your strength?” Zedd asked. Struggling still, Rita denied him the pleasure of a response. Tracing her face with his finger, he gazed deep into Rita’s eyes, searching, peering into her naked soul. His dark powers granted him access to her deepest, most secret thoughts.

“Ah, there it is. You do not fear me, Green Ranger. You wear the uniform of an ensemble, but where are the others? You are utterly alone. You always have been. You crave the security that only absolute power can grant you. Only I can help you obtain that power.”

Absolutely vulnerable before the Dark Lord, Rita shut her eyes and grit her teeth. Her very soul felt violated, as if Zedd had physically forced himself upon her. She tried to will herself out of the situation, to feel the comforts of home instead of the armored hands of her captors that held her against her will.

Home, she thought. What was home? All of her life she had been in and out of the Eltarian state’s custody, living under bridges and in abandoned structures left in the wake of war. She found no comfort in these thoughts. Instead, a fire brewed in her belly that threatened to explode at her seams. Darkness, like a shadow, crept into her mind. It was as if a part of her soul had broken off. She then rose up and spat in the Dark Lord’s face.

Wiping the disrespect from his brow, Zedd stood up and turned towards his general. “Rubitron, take her to her cell.”

“This isn’t up for discussion. We’re going to Regada,” Zordon stated plainly.

“Zordon, we’re talking about a full company of Zedd’s deadliest forces. What possible outcome do you foresee other than our own deaths?” Umon asked.

“Zordon, it’s an honorable thought, but Rita knew the risk going into this.” Fenix added.

“I can’t believe what I’m hearing. She is a Ranger. If we die, we all die together,” Zordon replied. He shook his head in disgust and turned to his loyal servant. “Alpha, set a course for Regada Five.”

Last edited by BattleRanger; October 7th, 2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old October 9th, 2017, 11:09 AM #30
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Picking up steam with this story- really anxious to see how you all are enjoying it so far. This story has always been, and will always be, driven by your participation.

That being said, I've included a little sneak peek at Chapter Five, which is coming along pretty nicely. Setting up Rita's encounter with Zedd and how that plays out has been something I've been going back and forth on. Ultimately, it goes a certain way, but probably not how you would think.

Anyways, here's your preview of Ch 5.

“I understand why you accepted your appointment on Zordon’s team. He saved your life and you feel you owe it to him to be his Green Ranger. What you fail to realize though is that, while that fool may have a soft spot for you, his team merely tolerates you. Of course, you already know this, as I gleamed it from your inner most heart when I shadowed your mind. You are meant for greater things, Rita, that only I can show you.”

“As a Ranger, I’m sworn to serve and protect life. You only think of yourself.” she replied.

“That sounds like slavery, not service. Maybe after a lifetime of serving others, I’ve decided to serve myself. Going where they tell you to go. Doing what they tell you to do. Make no mistake about it, when the others come, and they will come for you, it will be out of service.”
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:39 AM #31
> Deka_Break
"Red Ranger Power!"

Deka_Break
"Red Ranger Power!"

I realized I hadn't updated myself on this great story, so now I have a sub to the post! Haha, I'll get you feedback in real time now.

I appreciate the pace that the story is moving at. Too many times I feel prequels are at the mercy of explaining one moment, and drawing that moment out. I like that you are wanting to explore a lot of moments leading us up to the movie intro.

I'm interested in the interaction with Zedd. If this remains "kind of" canon-adjacent, like the movie universe, is there still an attraction between Rita and Zedd? I think it would be an interesting route to explore. Is it ultimately one of the reasons Rita goes bad? Who knows?!

I'd like to see a detailed flashback of how the Morphin Grid chooses and bonds with someone. Maybe there is a botched attempt which is why someone as flawed (not the right word choice, failing to find a better word) as Rita was chosen?

Thanks for gettingthe thoughts flowing! Do you keep up with the BOOM Comics? I think you'd appreciate the storyline they're in right now. Issues 19 & 20.
Old November 17th, 2017, 09:45 PM #32
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Deka_Break wrote: View Post

I realized I hadn't updated myself on this great story, so now I have a sub to the post! Haha, I'll get you feedback in real time now.

I appreciate the pace that the story is moving at. Too many times I feel prequels are at the mercy of explaining one moment, and drawing that moment out. I like that you are wanting to explore a lot of moments leading us up to the movie intro.
Thank you. I really have Point A and Point B (being the opening scene of the movie) and the rest is just fill in the blank. I know where I'm going, but the journey is where I'm struggling the most. I'm trying my best not to do my own thing and make this a Power Rangers Saga 2.0.

I'm interested in the interaction with Zedd. If this remains "kind of" canon-adjacent, like the movie universe, is there still an attraction between Rita and Zedd? I think it would be an interesting route to explore. Is it ultimately one of the reasons Rita goes bad? Who knows?!
I think the relationship with Zedd and Rita will have to be different, as I don't foresee that coming to fruition in the movie 'verse. This is a great opportunity to kind of pay homage to it, but there's not going to be a grand marriage and whatnot.

I'd like to see a detailed flashback of how the Morphin Grid chooses and bonds with someone. Maybe there is a botched attempt which is why someone as flawed (not the right word choice, failing to find a better word) as Rita was chosen?
Just be patient. I don't wanna pepper every chapter with flashbacks, but there are definitely more to come.

Thanks for getting the thoughts flowing! Do you keep up with the BOOM Comics? I think you'd appreciate the storyline they're in right now. Issues 19 & 20.
I love the Boom comics. Absolutely love them. The Lionsgate movie and the comic series are doing a way better job of realizing the potential the story has than I ever could with my fanfics.
Old November 18th, 2017, 09:27 AM #33
> Deka_Break
"Red Ranger Power!"

Deka_Break
"Red Ranger Power!"

Ah, patience. One of the hardest of the virtues. Haha! I think this universe is also PERFECT for Boom’s MMPR: Pink to happen in. My hope is that the chatter about a sequel to PR being dead isn’t true. Don’t discount your work either! It is some of the best science fiction I’ve read. Isince you started the Saga, I’ve kept coming back! Have you ever published anything?
Old November 18th, 2017, 09:57 AM #34
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Ah, patience. One of the hardest of the virtues. Haha! I think this universe is also PERFECT for Boom’s MMPR: Pink to happen in. My hope is that the chatter about a sequel to PR being dead isn’t true. Don’t discount your work either! It is some of the best science fiction I’ve read. Isince you started the Saga, I’ve kept coming back! Have you ever published anything?
If the chatter is true, you bet your ass I'm gonna write one! lol

You're too kind- but no, I haven't published anything. I don't know if you remember the Striker Saga story I had posted here, but I haven't given up on it. I have a friend who has some work published and I look to him as a mentor, so hopefully I'll get it finished and published in this lifetime.
Old December 10th, 2017, 09:54 AM #35
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Rita sat on the cold, durasteel bunk. She could not shake the feeling of self-loathing everytime she thought of Zedd and the way he had forced her mind open to his peering eyes. The very thought made her retch. It had been the rape of her mind.

She hated herself for letting it happen- and as much as she despised him for violating her, she felt drawn to him. In that instant, he knew her like no one else ever had. He read her like words on parchment. He knew her the way a musician knew the notes of a song. It was both nauseating and exciting.

Footsteps heralded the keeper’s arrival, a food ration in hand.

“Here is your evening portion,” he mumbled, sliding the foodtray into the door’s receiver. The meal, as far as she could tell, consisted of un-used portions from the midday meal, which still sat cold in the corner. Defiant, she tossed the new tray onto the one from earlier.

A familiar voice rang out from the door. “Is the food not to your liking?”

Lord Zedd. The cell door split at the center seam as an electromagnetic force wall appeared in its place.

“I am not ruled by the wants of this body,” Rita responded.

“Nor should you be.” Rita scoffed at the comment.

“I understand why you accepted your appointment on Zordon’s team. He saved your life and you feel you owe it to him to be his Green Ranger. What you fail to realize though is that, while that fool may have a soft spot for you, his team merely tolerates you. Of course, you already know this, as I gleamed it from your inner most heart when I shadowed your mind. You are meant for greater things, Rita, that only I can show you.”

“As a Ranger, I’m sworn to serve and protect life. You only think of yourself.”

“That sounds like slavery, not service. Maybe after a lifetime of serving others, I’ve decided to serve myself. Going where they tell you to go. Doing what they tell you to do. Make no mistake about it, when the others come, and they will come for you, it will be out of service. Only the Red Ranger genuinely cares for you- and that is more guilt than any love he may claim.”

Rita stared down at the plastcrete floor, trying her best to look unaffected by Zedd’s words. Realizing this, he began to turn away.

“I’ve not told you anything you don’t already know. How you proceed, however, is up to you.

The starship Sovereignty tore through subspace as fast as the ship’s sublight engines would allow. On the bridge, the Red Ranger, Zordon stood beside Alpha 5 and the Blue Ranger, Danok, watching the stars streak by as elongated pinpoints of light.

Danok had never known the Red Ranger to be a fool, but he knew that Zordon had been stubbornly driven to risk his life and the lives of his team for the rescue of the ostracized Green Ranger. The reason behind such folly was beyond the Blue Ranger’s comprehension. Since their formation, Danok had accepted Zordon’s role as the team’s leader- but in this moment, facing what he considered certain death, he tried to reason against Zordon’s suicide mission. “Zedd’s forces are amassed in the Regada System. We’ll be overrun by quadrafighters the moment we arrive.”

Zordon chose not to acknowledge the comment. He knew full well the opinion of the other Rangers and had decided to discard their warnings. He knew he would risk everything for any of them, for all of them- but the Green Ranger, Rita, was more than just a team member. She had joined the team at his behest and while the council of Morphing Masters had begrudgingly agreed to appoint her as the team’s counterintelligence command officer after winning the Andros City Games, she had never been fully accepted by the team.

Zordon thought maybe it had been because they had all been so close to the former Green Ranger, Buraee, who had died defending the High Command during the outbreak of the Datho Crusades- but more and more he suspected that it was more than grief over the loss of a comrade. What the reasoning was, exactly, he couldn’t put his finger on.

The words of the Blue Ranger still ringing in his ears, he closed his eyes and reached out through the Morphing Grid for the life signature of the Green Ranger. “I’ve heard your protests already- this isn’t some smuggler from Onyx that we’re dealing with. I can feel her life-force in the Grid- which means Zedd has taken her as his prisoner. He will attempt to bargain her life in exchange for passage to the Nelandia System- or worse.”

Danok knew better than to push the issue.

“Master, we’re approaching Regada. Sublight engines are powering down,” Alpha informed the Red Ranger.

The Red Ranger responded in turn. “Shields up- scan all frequencies for any signs of Rita’s signature. Cut all power to non-essential systems and let’s move in nice and slow.”

Utilizing his portable control screen, Danok carried out his orders. The bridge lights dimmed as the ship’s scanners opened its channels in an attempt to lock in on the Green Ranger’s emergency alarm.

“Looks like we’ve got company!” Danok shouted. Zordon watched as the dark shadows across the planet’s surface materialized into the iconic shape of the quadrafighters.

“Targetting laser cannons,” Alpha responded, communicating with the ship’s weapons systems. The forward screen showed the targeting computers locked onto their targets. The full power of the cannons rocked the ship as the first wave of fighters were obliterated.

“There’s too many of them!” Danok shouted as the mass of ships began to double in size. “Shields to maximum- we’ll plow through them!” The Red Ranger stepped forward and barked in response.

“No! We need every available generator powering the sensor array until we can find her!”

Danok grit his teeth and stepped towards the back wall of the bridge, checking the readouts for the ship’s defenses.

Last edited by BattleRanger; December 10th, 2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old December 10th, 2017, 11:20 AM #36
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Chapter Six preview

Umon watched as the screen on the center panel began distorting. He focused in auxiliary channels and read the bizarre energy signature on the monitor. “Zordon, I’m picking up some really strange energy signatures here- its overpowering the sensors and disrupting our frequency lock on Rita’s position.”

“Could it be Serpentara?” Mi asked.

Danok responded. “If they’re powering up Serpentara, we’re gonna be in for a fight. I’ve seen what that dragon can do. Even at full power, we'd be no match.”

“Alpha,
power up the Zords.
We’ll bring the fight to them.” Zordon said, his helmet materializing around his chiseled face.

UPDATE

So I managed to finish Chapter 5 and had the inspiration to write and finish Chapter 6 as well. Alot of what happens, happens organically as I move the characters into position to react and act to the story.

Spoiler- (which you can be safe to read after Ch 6)
I also decided to give Zordon's teams Zords. I had long debated on whether they would have their own Zords like Jason's team, but after considering the fact that the Zords have a protoform that merely adapts to resemble the chosen creatures, I thought it would be neat to see where their dinosaur forms would originate from. By doing so, I decided to assign creatures that were close to the dinosaurs later chosen, while also considering the physical attributes of the Zords (the 6 legs on the Mastodon, the pterodactyl having flight, etc). I pulled from various inspirations, such as Avatar, John Carter of Mars, etc, and I hope you guys will enjoy it.

I'll probably be posting Chapter 6 in January, if not sooner. I have a terrible habit of wanting to post sooner than later, just because I like to see what the reactions will be. On that note, if you read this story, please comment with your opinion- whether you love it, hate it, or completely disregard it, your feedback is what powers me to keep writing.

Last edited by BattleRanger; December 10th, 2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old December 10th, 2017, 07:42 PM #37
> PanamaRanger
Twitter: @PanamaRanger

eBay
PanamaRanger
Twitter: @PanamaRanger

eBay

Great so far. looking forward to the next chapter
PanamaRanger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 07:56 PM #38
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

PanamaRanger wrote: View Post

Great so far. looking forward to the next chapter
Thank you! Yeah, I may end up posting it next week or the week after. I realize now that this last chapter was a little late by my one chapter a month schedule.
Old December 11th, 2017, 08:53 PM #39
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

I love this story! It's interesting to see the fall of Rita. I'm also intrigued by the idea you brought up of Ranger teams only being created when the previous team dies. It's an interesting idea that I'm surprised no one, at least to my knowledge, has thought of. It's also tragic because this team seems interesting but tragic in that we know their final fate.

This story is definitely one I'll be following!
GrumpyBookworm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 09:29 PM #40
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

GrumpyBookworm wrote: View Post

I love this story! It's interesting to see the fall of Rita. I'm also intrigued by the idea you brought up of Ranger teams only being created when the previous team dies. It's an interesting idea that I'm surprised no one, at least to my knowledge, has thought of. It's also tragic because this team seems interesting but tragic in that we know their final fate.

This story is definitely one I'll be following!
Always great to hear from a new reader- yeah, so I always saw this as different worlds having their own Ranger teams- so there's potentially thousands of teams, but this one is unique to Eltar- even if the team itself is comprised of warriors from different planets.

It is a tragic story- and those are the most fun to write. I never found Rita to be an interesting character, but with the movie continuity, there was finally something worth sinking my teeth into. The "why" to her fall is one that seems to be really hinted at when she attacks Trini and mentions that she too was an outsider on Zordon's team. That really gave me enough to create the relationships for this team. I then drew on the names of the Zyurangers to help enrich my story and began assigning personalities to them. Even now, some are more fleshed out than others- some just have been created yet. For me, they're all warriors, they're all in the same focus and have the same goals, so its just how they play off each other.

I'm really having a lot of fun writing this and I'm glad you enjoy it!

Tags
movie prequel, power rangers, power rangers movie, the battle begins