RangerBoard
 
Go Back   RangerBoard > Administration > Announcements
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2017, 12:45 PM   #1401
Sagiri
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 217
Decade wrote: View Post

1. So how do you log back in if the new password is wrong? Password recovery/reset?

2. Since you're copying from a password generator, paste it into Notepad first. See if it's pasting anything extra that you're not expecting. It commonly copies an extra blank space or two which could exist before or after the generated password.

3. Have you tried typing your own simpler password? Such as:
RangerBoard2017!
Ranger_Board2017

Try your own words with a combination of numbers and symbols.
1. Yes. Basically, I go through the password change, log out, attempt to log in. It tells me it's wrong, so I have to do the email password reset to get back in.

2. Even if it was adding something I wasn't expecting, I'm pasting the exact same value from my clipboard into the "change password" form and the login form.

3. Currently, I went back to a more "normal" password until I can figure it out. I'll experiment more and see if I can figure anything out.

Edit: It is being truncated. The field on the "change password" page is limited to 50 characters, and when you paste in a long password it gets truncated, but the form to type your password to log in isn't limited to 50 characters (even though there seems to be no actual way to use a password longer than 50 characters). So it doesn't match.

I was generating a 100 character password, which is why I was having problems. I cut it down to 50 and it works now.

Last edited by Sagiri; August 31st, 2017 at 12:55 PM.
Sagiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 12:53 PM   #1402
ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
 
Decade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,665
1
Sagiri wrote: View Post

1. Yes. Basically, I go through the password change, log out, attempt to log in. It tells me it's wrong, so I have to do the email password reset to get back in.

2. Even if it was adding something I wasn't expecting, I'm pasting the exact same value from my clipboard into the "change password" form and the login form.

3. Currently, I went back to a more "normal" password until I can figure it out. I'll experiment more and see if I can figure anything out.
You mentioned as well you're generating a "long" password, how long are you generating?
It may be a character limit, or a specific symbol that conflicts with the database.

I use about 16 characters without issue.
Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 12:57 PM   #1403
ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
 
Decade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,665
1
Sagiri wrote: View Post

Edit: It is being truncated. The field on the "change password" page is limited to 50 characters, and when you paste in a long password it gets truncated, but the form to type your password to log in isn't limited to 50 characters (even though there seems to be no actual way to use a password longer than 50 characters). So it doesn't match.

I was generating a 100 character password, which is why I was having problems. I cut it down to 50 and it works now.
I suspected this in my previous reply, the database type for the current version of vBulletin is old and has lower limits.

But someone having a password over 24 characters is also rare. Anyone with a password close to 50 is unexpected.

Heck, I even just thought your password was around 24-32 characters. But 100? Overkill.
Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 01:09 PM   #1404
Sagiri
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 217
Decade wrote: View Post

I suspected this in my previous reply, the database type for the current version of vBulletin is old and has lower limits.

But someone having a password over 24 characters is also rare. Anyone with a password close to 50 is unexpected.

Heck, I even just thought your password was around 24-32 characters. But 100? Overkill.
I have my generator default to 100 characters because that's definitely going to be secure enough for literally anything I could ever want a password for; I never have to stop and think about what length the generated password should be (excepting max password lengths, of course).

If you don't have to type it yourself, there's literally no reason to not use a long password.

But, yeah, a 100 or even 50 character password is way more security than my account here needs.
Sagiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 01:18 PM   #1405
ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
 
Decade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,665
1
It's more security than anything needs.

It isn't just about creating a password that's difficult to brute force, you're also suppose to change passwords frequently in case of spyware, keyloggers, or any other data invasion that may involve password theft.

Just because you use a 50-100 characters Password, it does not make you any more secure than someone using a 20 length password that follows the complexity rules.
Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #1406
cyberblue
Celestial Fury
 
cyberblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,153
Hello!

Hoping this is the right forum to ask, but what I thought was my legacy VIP-1 status originally granted by Ray seems to have been revoked - which is currently leaving me with an overages of hundreds of PM's, meaning I can't send/receive anything right now. Is there a reason my original VIP status lapsed? If it was an oversight, can it be reinstated? I have a lot of stored messages I'd rather not delete, and I was under the impression I'd have VIP until I deleted my account. Thanks much for your help!
cyberblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #1407
ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
 
Decade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,665
1
cyberblue wrote: View Post

Hello!

Hoping this is the right forum to ask, but what I thought was my legacy VIP-1 status originally granted by Ray seems to have been revoked - which is currently leaving me with an overages of hundreds of PM's, meaning I can't send/receive anything right now. Is there a reason my original VIP status lapsed? If it was an oversight, can it be reinstated? I have a lot of stored messages I'd rather not delete, and I was under the impression I'd have VIP until I deleted my account. Thanks much for your help!
All manually granted memberships were revoked, because they did not come with proper subscriptions.

VIP1 has been long discontinued. Members can subscribe to VIP2 here:
https://www.RangerBoard.com/payments.php

Anyone with actual VIP1 subscriptions can keep them. But if they were simply moved into the VIP1 group, which may have been the case for you, that was changed to correctly streamline VIP subscriptions matching the amount of users in VIP groups.
Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #1408
cyberblue
Celestial Fury
 
cyberblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,153
Decade wrote: View Post

All manually granted memberships were revoked, because they did not come with proper subscriptions.

VIP1 has been long discontinued. Members can subscribe to VIP2 here:
https://www.RangerBoard.com/payments.php

Anyone with actual VIP1 subscriptions can keep them. But if they were simply moved into the VIP1 group, which may have been the case for you, that was changed to correctly streamline VIP subscriptions matching the amount of users in VIP groups.
Thanks! Was there any outreach or notification I missed to make changes to any subscriptions to avoid my status being lapsed? I had full access as of May 6th, 2017, so it was just a few months ago I had VIP1. I didn't see any messages warning of any deadlines or next steps to avoid my status being revoked, though I admit it's fully possible it was widely posted somewhere on the board and I could have missed it since I'm more of a casual user and tend to only look a handful of places when I do sign on. Would it be possible to have my original status honored and re-instated without having to pay for a VIP-2 membership?
cyberblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #1409
ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
 
Decade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,665
1
No. In fact this investigation begun when we found out an ex-mod pocketed money for VIP memberships, without passing those funds to me, and putting people into VIP groups directly because the Mod did not have access to grant subscriptions properly.

I don't know the circumstance of how you obtained the VIP1 access. As I've said, it was streamlined so that there's visibility that only those that pay will get VIP membership. And there's no abuse of people just being dropped into the groups. It is checked on a regular basis now.

Unfortunately there's nothing for you to honor. Only subscriptions are honored. You never had an actual subscription.

If you value the messages, the VIP2 does offer a lot more. 5000 message limt over the 1000 from VIP1, plus many other benefits.

But again, that is that.
Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 10:42 AM   #1410
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms
 
GoldAnyRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,801
eBay
There seems to be something wrong with the Spider-Man: Homecoming thread.

https://www.RangerBoard.com/showthre...Man+Homecoming

I can get to the first few pages, but the later pages in the thread bring up an error.

https://www.RangerBoard.com/showthre...coming&page=68



I'm also getting the same problem in the Ninja Steel General Discussion II thread.
GoldAnyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 10:44 AM   #1411
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy
 
Ankh Primo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 66,345
^The Star Wars thread won't come up either.
Ankh Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 10:48 AM   #1412
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms
 
GoldAnyRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,801
eBay
Ankh Primo wrote: View Post

^The Star Wars thread won't come up either.
Nor will the HyperForce or TGWTG threads. It might have something to do with embedded videos.
GoldAnyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 11:08 AM   #1413
ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
 
Decade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,665
1
Is it still a problem? Clear your cache please.
Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 11:25 AM   #1414
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms
 
GoldAnyRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,801
eBay
Decade wrote: View Post

Is it still a problem? Clear your cache please.
Everything is working normally now.
GoldAnyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 07:11 PM   #1415
Green Goblin
remember 12-14-12
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,285
how come certain email address are banned i cant change my email address cause yahoo is a banned address all i have is yahoo
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 07:19 PM   #1416
ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
 
Decade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,665
1
Yahoo doesn’t always receive our emails. It’s banned to reduce problems with password recovery. Please make a GMail. It’s free.
Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 07:50 PM   #1417
Green Goblin
remember 12-14-12
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,285
I’ll do that since I almost couldn’t get in lol
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 02:30 AM   #1418
rowie4life
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 143
I can't access RangerBoard and my WiFi, I can on 4G on my smart phone, I get " RangerBoard.com's server DNS address could not be found." Anyone know how I can sort it?
rowie4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:36 AM   #1419
ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
 
Decade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,665
1
rowie4life wrote: View Post

I can't access RangerBoard and my WiFi, I can on 4G on my smart phone, I get " RangerBoard.com's server DNS address could not be found." Anyone know how I can sort it?
DNS issues are with the Internet connection you're using.

The best way to resolve it for Wi-Fi would be for the person that controls the Wi-Fi. Do you happen to know the Router's brand and model?
Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 09:20 AM   #1420
rowie4life
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 143
Decade wrote: View Post

DNS issues are with the Internet connection you're using.

The best way to resolve it for Wi-Fi would be for the person that controls the Wi-Fi. Do you happen to know the Router's brand and model?
Took me the better part of an hour, but the first solution on THIS SITE sorted it. Cheers.
rowie4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.