RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: If I were to bring back a weekend watch (as a marathon method), what would you want?
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers" 8 20.51%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3" 5 12.82%
Kamen Rider Fourze 9 23.08%
Avatar: The Last Airbender 10 25.64%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97) 6 15.38%
Other (Say what in the thread) 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 20th, 2018, 07:28 PM   #2781
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Dragonwolf Ranger wrote: View Post

Should probably start watching Ranma again with your reviews. Recall that ep and this and other stuff not to mention the mess that had them transforming in the first place had me calling Genma one of the worst fathers in anime. Friend disagreed as Genma at least cares for his son unlike Mr. Ikari.
Genma may be stupid but he's no Gendo Ikari.

timegold wrote: View Post

Enter's definitely been escalating his game lately (in much part due to Escape's presence and competition), and Messiah has been moving things along, so this next step of a grand invasion was the logical conclusion to the buildup. The Busters and the EMC have been doing a fine job of defending, and they've improved with the increasing arsenal of mecha and with the newer additions, but unfortunately they haven't prepared for this. The fact that one of the parents made contact confirms the suspicion of their being alive, allowing them to hold out hope, and given the severity of the circumstances, optimism is a major asset. Even just being in Hyperspace is enough to open new plans. Something climactic is bound to happen, but what?
Now that you mention it...

-----

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters: Mission 30: Messiah Shutdown

A researcher who speaks French...that better not be you, Morticia Adams!

The Busters have made it to the Subdimension to finally finish the job with Messiah, but Messiah has been waiting for them to deal with them with everything it controls. With it's latest evolution, it appears like "triangle head" is appearing to show it's true form due to gaining the power of evolution...but it's actually worse than that. The "body" Messiah develops is merely just it's means to evolve a way to return to the human world; in truth Messiah is much more horrific being a massive computer based in the subdimension (which makes me wonder if that computer was always there or if it was created after the teleportation accident); further it has the ability of "fusing together" with any and all information and data that it collects and brings to the subdimension and makes as part of itself. This horrific truth is realized by the Go-Busters when they reach the lab where the Christmas party was held 13 years ago, realizing that all the pieces they've seen, particularly with the likes of Enter and Escape, were all there all along: the Avatars created to help Messiah are part of itself but uses elements of all the researchers, which is how Escape knew of Gog and Magog of Mrs. Sakurada. The researchers are still "alive", but only as data within Messiah's own being; if the Go-Busters end up destroying the Messiah computer, then they'll die with it. This sort of is an important moral step, but somehow the lesson of the episode is that the Busters were ready from the get-go to make the decision they make here to destroy the computer and Messiah with it: this means basically dooming thier parents but in a way they sort of were doomed the moment they became integrated as pieces of Messiah, so it's less murder and more a mercy killing. Both Enter and Escape, let alone Messiah itself, try to stop it, but with Go-Buster Ace using the explosion of MegaZord Epsilon, the computer is destroyed...and Messiah is stopped once and for all.

Therea re some who potentially say that this possibly could have been the end of the series and they rushed it to it's conclusion, but I'm not sure of that. Not everything was revealed, such as Jin revealing everything about where he is and how he's been holding up (he's still keeping his secrets), but for the most part it is a conclusion of a major section of the series. I sort of wish it was handled a tad better (Hiromu's acting really wasn't that good or sorrowful despite all he had to do to finish off Messiah, sort of ruining an emotional moment), but...as the show says, "Shutdown Complete".

So...let's see what the last 20 episodes end up doing...I mean sure Messiah was a bit bleh as a villain but something tells me Enter and Escape aren't quite done yet despite that big shutdown.

-----

Happiness Charge PreCure: Ep. 30: Phantom's Secret Plan! Another Cure Lovely!

So then if Phantom can manipulate shadows...is Cure Unlovely a Lemure?

I've noticed there's a bit of a problem in this franchise regarding new power-ups; typically with how ridiculous they end up being before unleashing their true powers, no one knows what to make of them at first. For Happiness Charge, their big power-up is...a dresser with a mirror for make-up, which unfortunately doesn't have much use amidst all things even though Blue ends up mentioning that by unleashing their "innocent" power, they will be able to release it's full potential. Amidst it all and considering how Megumi sort of feels like Queen Mirage needs to be saved instead of defeated, Megumi ends up finding out from Blue that not only were they lovers in the past...but that Mirage was also a Cure, "Cure Mirage", prior to being trapped in the form she's in, sort of making her want to save the Phantom Empire ruler all the more. But as we saw at the end of last time, Phantom has been dispatched to Pikarigaoka...again...to make sure these Cures, especially a Cure associated with Love, is dealt with right here and now. He does so in a really creepy but cool method, stealing Megumi's shadow and turning it into an evil "Cure Unlovely", one powerful enough with his power and her power combining to push her into a corner. Further, due to having Megumi's memory through the shadow, Phantom taunts her by revealing that Megumi is the way she is as a means of trying to get attention to herself, wanting to help anyone because otherwise she just is a loser who doesn't have that much. It's a neat reveal and rather shocking that she's tormented in this way, sort of feeling like everything she does is for show and isn't as sincere as Megumi claims it is. Of course the others show up and snap her out of it with the "power of friendship" defeating Cure Unlovely....and in turn ends up accessing the "innocent" power for the Shining Make Dresser, which basically make the Cures look much uglier with make-up before firing a finisher that crushes Phantom. (really it's even worse than Cure Ace; at least with Aguri she was a little girl playing to be older due to...how weird that was and the fact she probably was older...and literally becoming older...and more attractive...in the process; the Happiness Charge girls look like clowns for this finisher!) But amidst it all, Phantom still seems to pine for Mirage and isn't out of it yet...I mean if he was, I'd expect all the Cures trapped in the graveyard to be freed or something.

-----

Ranma 1/2: Ep. 23 (Nettouhen Ep. 2): You Really Do Hate Cats?

Sorry but some of those growls felt less like a cat and more like a Land of Fountains fariy.

With the power and skill at Ranma's disposal, it's obvious that somewhere there has to be a weakness that he possesses that can be exploited. Obviously with Kuno's obsession in getting both Akane and the Pigtailed Girl, he's willing to find that weakness to his own advantage if it does exist somewhere or somehow. It is with this that he enlists the help of his manor's "butler"/"ninja", Sasuke Sarusagakure, to figure it out. At the same time, a mysterious package is sent by Shampoo to the Tendo residence, consisting of...a cat. A pink cat (with suspicious hair beads and an affection for Ranma) that ends up knocking out Ranma cold and revealing his ultimate weakness in the feline persona. With the knowledge (and the further idiocy of Genma on display to make his son learn something so destructive and ridiculous), Sasuke and Kuno try to use it to their advantage but end up just unleashing a massive hell upon themselves and all around them as those who know of Ranma's affliction (and the worst part of what it does) try to get him to get back to normal by whatever means necessary, ultimately leading to Akane actually saving the day...and getting rewarded in a way that doesn't make things any easier.

This is the first true arc of Nettouhen (after the weirdness of last time) and it actually picks up where we left off in the manga...but with quite a few notable changes to the story. The biggest is obviously the introduction of the Kuno ninja Sasuke (played by our old pal Shigeru Chiba; AKA Buggy the Clown, Kuwabara, Pilaf & Raditz...oh and Dr. Ulshade and Eternal's Chairman...the last one I still can't forgive him for BTW), which is significant and probably done due to who really did it in the manga and the turmoils with said character. The short version: the one helping Kuno here wasn't a manservant ninja but a Furinkan freshman student by the name of Hikaru Gosunkuji; he's introduced way later in the anime (the 6th season of the 7 Viz sets up) and is a huge voodoo/spiritualistic idiot who probably does things that really shouldn't be done by someone his age due to just making him an utter creep...but it's alright when it's a much older character who looks like a rat and happens to be a ninja. It's sort of a shame that Gosunkuji isn't used in this arc and takes away from it's authenticity...but hey, we get Shigeru Chiba as a ninja, so you win some, you lose some. The other major change from the original manga is "that cat", which I think is a means of saving time regarding how the arc proceeds from here. It was a bit funnier in the manga that it was just some random cat Kasumi was cat-sitting that revealed Ranma's weakness to the Tendous and Gosunkuji/Kuno and not a particular character (who BTW is delivered not to the Tendou but Doctor Tofu after all this is said and done), but the time saving really made it streamline some of what Takahashi was actually trying to go after and sort of uses a bit of nice foreshadowing of what happens after this.

With those said, it's still a fun storyline; I think Sasuke ended up making things all the funnier even if it isn't Gosunkuji and it's both hilarious and pathetic that Genma would throw Ranma through all this in order to get him to use a martial arts style that psychologically damages him for life. I do like Akane's usage here in saving Ranma even if the end, with "cat Ranma" kissing Akane more or less is used to build up more fodder for the whole "fiance" storyarc which can get really annoying with how it's used. And as mentioned, this is sort of the beginning of some much bigger story elements that actually take root tomorrow...which makes me a bit more relieved that "the pink cat" is already around and doesn't just randomly show up like in the manga.

One last note: this surprisingly is where I first discovered "Sasuke" was a name notable for ninjas...long before that Uchiha kid.
Ataruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2018, 07:59 PM   #2782
Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

With Sasuke remember laughing when I first saw those episodes in 2008 and hearing the dub call him "Sah-soo-kay". Yeah, know older dubs would at times pronounce Japanese names not quite the same as the Japanese did, but knew how Sasuke was pronounced from the other ninja, so it was funny to me. Did wonder about why they didn't use Gosunkuji, as those bits were funny.

Also Ranma's weakness gives me memory of the defunct Anime Insider magazine having a battle between him and Kyo Sohma from Fruits Basket. Forget how it started but something happened resulting with Ranma getting splashed and turned into a girl. Kyo tried to run away, but Girl-Ranma grabbed him from behind turning him into a cat. (In FB, Kyo and other cursed relatives change into animals if hugged by someone of the opposite sex who isn't cursed). Ranma freaked out and ran into a tree. Kyo turns back gathers his clothes, looks at the unconscious girl and says, "And I thought my curse was bad."
Dragonwolf Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 12:00 AM   #2783
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

This mid-season climactic turning point remains true to the theme of perfection being impossible to achieve. Indeed, Messiah had a flaw despite being able to assimilate so much, and was able to be destroyed before being able to personally invade Earth. On the other hand, that plan to destroy the virus had its own inherit flaw, that the Busters would have to give up the last remnants of their parents and the EMC workers. (Sure, Jin survived, but only because he was working in a different location and was not assimilated into Messiah, but there's more to resolve with him.) In the end, the sense of optimism that the Busters had was at least redirected towards protecting Earth and preventing that tragedy from being repeated.

While Messiah ended up being a fake-out as the final villain (which would be predictable in line with most series, though even Gokaiger had killed off Prince Warz just the year before and Goseiger did what it did with its factions), and Enter and Escape seem to have been temporarily neutralized, the Avatars are not gone for good, so that leaves the question of what it's going to be like with them unrestrained by their boss. Granted, Enter always had his degree of defiance, but now he doesn't need to appease anyone but himself; Escape's obsession with her papa, on the other hand, has to go somewhere with him gone.
timegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 07:34 PM   #2784
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Dragonwolf Ranger wrote: View Post

With Sasuke remember laughing when I first saw those episodes in 2008 and hearing the dub call him "Sah-soo-kay". Yeah, know older dubs would at times pronounce Japanese names not quite the same as the Japanese did, but knew how Sasuke was pronounced from the other ninja, so it was funny to me. Did wonder about why they didn't use Gosunkuji, as those bits were funny.
Not sure why they removed Gosunkuji admittedly. My theory: they didn't want to just throw in another random freshman with the focus on Ranma's grade and the upperclassmen with Kuno and Nabiki...that and Gosunkuji can be a creep with a lot of his voodoo. (or maybe it's cause he isn't really used that much and they figured to add another character for Kuno and Kodachi to interact with prior to the intro of their dad) The only good news is that since Sasuke does work out ultimately, it just makes one wonder what could have been if it was Gosunkuji and not Sasuke with this story.

While Messiah ended up being a fake-out as the final villain (which would be predictable in line with most series, though even Gokaiger had killed off Prince Warz just the year before and Goseiger did what it did with its factions), and Enter and Escape seem to have been temporarily neutralized, the Avatars are not gone for good, so that leaves the question of what it's going to be like with them unrestrained by their boss. Granted, Enter always had his degree of defiance, but now he doesn't need to appease anyone but himself; Escape's obsession with her papa, on the other hand, has to go somewhere with him gone.
I think the closest I can think of where things are just changed so much yet it isn't quite over is Turboranger: there we have the generals all eliminated in one huge set of battles and even Lagorn removed for a period. It's just weird that considering the Go-Busters entire mission was to deal with Messiah that he's basically done 3/5ths through...but we still have 20 episodes and things will and can happen.

-----

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters: Mission 31: Space Sheriff Gavan Arrives!

Somehow Shelly did eat like a bird...then again probably better than eating like a monkey.

The Space Sheriff Trilogy is just one of those things I keep having on my bucket list of "toku I need to watch"...but unfortunately I wasn't that lucky to get the chance to do Gavan in this current watching period (though I could still do it later). Regardless due to Arakawa's renewed interest in the Space Sheriffs, they end up having a revival with the Gavan anniversary in '12, first with the original Retsu Ichijouji showing up in the Gokaiger movie, and of course with the introduction of "New Gavan" Geki Jumonji in his movie...that ends up taking up a two-parter as well in Busters. I remember when this came out that people were complaining "this is an attempt to sell the movie and get ratings for Busters"...considering the movie didn't do that well in Japan, I can't say it worked but people are just naysayers about anything regarding Go-Busters unfortunately. But considering the movie sort of went into more dramatic elements and we're trying to get kids onboard a thirty-year old franchise with this film (plus the other franchise is starting a new season so it isn't like we'd have Geki and Haruto team up...yet...), this probably was the best place to collab and try to make it work somehow or another.

The general scope: a Makuu monster known as Rhino Doubler arrives on Earth, just as Shelly, the Birdian alien partner of Geki, is there on the planet whom it pursues. The Go-Busters come to her protection, not really sure that they really knew that aliens were going to be invading, but needing to protect Shelly considering the Makuu tend to have Earth as a target as well. Rhino Doubler ends up sucking Shelly and Yoko into a Makuu Dimension leading to another weird chase scene, but it's further complicated when...a Metaroid shows up. Ignoring the two-part advertisement, having a Metaroid show up here after all the hard work of stopping Messiah last time is a bit of a shocker, let alone who survived the supposed end of Vaglass...but for the moment it just sort of is a surprise to further the main story and give Jin and J something to fight during the climax with a MegaZord. Ultimately Hiromu encounters Geki and the two sort of get at it for a bit but both realize that they have to work together in order to save thier partners for their own respective mission; it's a neat idea that despite the differences in what the mission is, there is a similarity of respecting who they're fighting with and making sure they all get out of it alive and in one piece. They eventually do make it into the Makuu Dimension (with Nick somehow flying but...my guess is Gavan sort of let him do it) and they finish off the Metaroid, who have the same "evil multiplication of power" that Makuu tend to have in there. But of course Rhino Doubler is still at large and the Busters and the GPU end up making a deal to work together until the issue is dealt with...but of course with a certain French-speaking Avatar still out there and seeing this opportunity, this probably isn't going to be easy for the hero side.

-----

Happiness Charge PreCure: Ep. 31: An Unexpected Partnership!? Cure Honey and Phantom

Can we please leave behind all the beastiality madness in Fresh; I don't wand any more Buki images in my head after Yuko's little story. (the good news: at least it wasn't a ferret)

The last episode ended more or less with Phantom defeated by the Cures...but for some reason, they decide to bring him back to the embassy to be rested and healed up. It's a bit strange they would have such hospitality for an enemy like this, but considering Phantom has a major connection back to Mirage and the idea that the Cures seem to want to save her and not defeat her is sort of probably why they're doing it; knowing that if they can help Phantom out then she'll probably fall in line eventually as well. Unfortunately, somehow Yuko ends up taking a greater initiative regarding taking care of Phantom, mainly due to making special porriage for him and just her whole idea of "food is a good thing and good people emerge from eating a good meal"; it's part of the madness she brings about but it's sort of her thing so we just have to roll with it. Obviously, Phantom is surprised Yuko would go this far for him (and unfortunately it isn't made any better in that the Cures think that it's something even bigger between the two of them), but she sort of just has this obligation to make food and make people pleased by it. Through this we finally find out the story of her first love, the one mentioned some time ago that made her upset and understand...but somehow it isn't what you think: said first love, the one she ended up falling for and made her appreciate food before ultimately and tragically passing...is a dog. Yeah, they work up all this emotion and this crazy build-up regarding Yuko's love life and why she's so obsessed with food...and it's all because of a dead dog. I get what they're trying to get at but it's just really ridiculous thinking it over that considering the mess we have had with Iona and her sister and the whole Seiji/Blue thing with Megumi and Hime that Yuko's only and greatest love was for...a dog. But considering that all that did lead to Phantom actually appreciating the meal and even him not firing on Yuko, it probably is something that at least worked to their advantage for now. It probably won't happen again and there are still issues (like even if he falls, it isn't going to release the Pretty Cure Graveyard), but at least it may work to their advantage in their ultimate goal of saving Queen Mirage from whatever influence Deep Mirror has over her.

-----

Ranma 1/2: Ep. 24 (Nettouhen Ep. 3): This Ol' Gal's the Leader of the Amazon Tribe!

Seriously, I was expecting the "one old man" to appear amidst all the Colognes.

Did Ranma kiss Akane by his own voluntary desire or not? The end of the last episode ended up having "a kiss" occur while Ranma was still in cat fu form, but it ended up being blown out of proportion: he did it while under the influence of the cat form and it was probably due to Akane soothing him back to normal. But unfortunately "a kiss is still a kiss" to too many people who want Akane such as Ryoga and Kuno and thus it just ends up turning into a bit of a disaster on Ranma's side, trying to prove that he didn't really kiss her but at the same time being stuck under all the accusations that he did kiss her knowingly. And of course Akane isn't buying it either: to her, Ranma would have kissed anyone while in cat form and that the kiss was really impersonal and had nothing to do with feelings or emotion. She ends up being a shrew about it and hitting him again, but of course that's sort of par for the course with Ranma.

Unfortunately while most of the Cat Fu elements seemed to drain Ranma of all desires to be near cats for the rest of his life, it gets worse due to that pink cat from last time...who happens to be a Jusenkyo-cursed Shampoo. (basically she was forced to train at Jusenkyo for her failure and fell into the Spring of Drowned Cat...though I just wonder why Shampoo had zero ideas about Jusenkyo before this because it's basically right in her backyard!) I did like her confirmation that "girl Ranma" was a Jusenkyo curse, but she's here now for two particular reasons. (aside Ranma) One is to open up a new Chinese restaurant, Nekohanten (Cat Cafe); I sort of wish she stayed with Doctor Tofu since "Chinese girl at Chinese Restaurant" is a bit of a cliche on both sides of the Pacific. The other is that assisting her now in winning Ranma over is her extremely powerful 300 year old great-grandmother, Cologne. (she's basically just known as "Obaba" until a certain later arc, but it's just easier to call her Cologne; her VA is Miyoko Aso, whose only other notable VA work is the original voice of the mother of Sazae in the classic manga/anime slice-of-life show "Sazae-san") Cologne's purpose is basically to crush Ranma with her abilities with amazonian-based martial arts until crushes him and makes Shampoo his wife; but of course without the strength of an amazon, Ranma actually is able to handle things well with his wits.

This ultimately leads to a cliffhanger that...basically is sort of screwy compared to the manga. After Ranma seems to finally deal with Cologne so far, she taps him at a pressure point telling him that he'll be "begging for Shampoo's hand" for what she did. In the manga, another character from China appears and the cliffhanger we get here doesn't happen until Ranma's embroiled with them and it sort of ends up being a major turning point. But...my guess is that due to the desire for a strong cliffhanger to the episode and to do the arc before that character, they sort of cut around it and just make it happen here, which is "Ranma can't even touch warm or even lukewarm water anymore and thus is stuck as a girl unless she gives in to Cologne's demands". I get why they did it but it makes way more sense if that character (who appears in a couple episodes anyway) showed up first.
Old February 21st, 2018, 10:19 PM   #2785
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

It may have taken a few years, but yes, the ratings thing was debunked. In the end, this was about one thing mainly: promotion. Having a movie cross over into a TV universe was something Den-O originally did, and it would continue in future years (especially Gaim). And of course, some people did react negatively to Enter being revealed to be alive and with a Metaroid running around, but we knew that the show wasn't over. Having Enter not quite reveal himself yet did allow room for Gavan's story to take stage, and they did find a common theme despite having rather different universes.

Hmm, birds eat flower seeds... if only there were someone who could produce plant power...
Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM   #2786
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Yeah I read about that: Busters had HIGHER ratings than a few later seasons. The only failure was the toys but that was Bandai saying "we'll ride on the Ranger Keys for a while longer". Considering the model for the franchise, it's really just confusing what they use and when at what time.

-----

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters: Mission 32: Friendship Tag With Gavan!

Really when dimensions mix up, it just gets all screwy; next thing you know we'll have a Makuu fight with weird plants growing lock fruits.

The first part of the Gavan two-parter didn't seem to go as in depth as you'd think about the similarities and differences between the Go-Busters and the Space Sheriff; but this time I think does a better job in handling that. The main focus is on Morishita, who basically sees the actions of Gavan on Earth and realizes that with heroes who can fight on their own, what's the use of a team...or a set of back-up? I think it's a regular element regarding the comparisons between a lot of toku elements, between the more "independent heroes" such as with MH or Kamen Rider; and the "team effort" that ends up usually mostly being Sentai but also the Ultras considering the organizations they end up working with. With many tending to prefer the heroes that work on their own (even though the Space Sheriffs tend to have partners like Shelly...and work with the GPU back on Bird), it's hard for someone who merely does control work to see how someone as lowly as him fits in with how the Go-Busters rely on the EMC control to fight. Unfortunately, he ends up stuck in the middle of a new scheme enacted by a combo of Rhino Doubler and Enter; the latter wanting to eliminate the constant EMC problem; while the former deciding that the best scheme is a Showa-esque one of "if you eliminate the brightest minds of Earth, it will end up destroying itself". (how true amidst current conditions on our planet) Obviously the Go-Busters and Gavan have to dive right back into the Makuu to save them, but amazingly Morishita shows his own worth due to what he was working on prior: a means to cross signals into the Makuu to allow for the Busters weapons to be used there. It's actually a natural element that allows for both teams to work together well: with the extra-dimensional threat of Vaglass and likewise of the Makuu, there is more in common than not in common between the Sentai and the Space Sheriff. It actually helps the team stand alongside instead of behind Gavan and in the end defeat the Makuu criminal...though it isn't helped that Enter screws around and grows him with a Metavirus, basically forcing a Great Go-Buster fight but sort of appropriate considering that he ends up fusing the Makuu and subdimension together into a chaos that would have ripped Earth apart. Luckily after all this, all sides better understand each others as Geki heads off to his crummy movie...though it was a fun diversion all things considered.

-----

Happiness Charge PreCure: Ep. 32: Iona's First Love!? Activate Innocent Form!

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if Hime was impressed by the hippos; they have as big a mouth as hers!

The road to trying to figure out the "other upgrade" that the Shining Make Dresser can give to the Cures is obviously one that can't be figured out that quickly and easily considering that they really have no idea what it is other than bringing out "the full power of their innocent feelings". Luckily for them, Iona has a date which actually ends up being a massive clue regarding the activation of the power. It's actually with a member of the basketball team that Seiji knows who has liked Iona from afar and is just now realizing that she looks cuter since she's opened up, more or less after she stopped angsting all the time about her sister Maria. Asking her out on a date ends up bringing out a new side to Iona that really makes her feel less stodgy than she tends to; but at the same time ends up being a bit too risky when the male decides to try and take it to the next level already, something that Iona really isn't ready to handle here and now. It's understandable considering maybe he was moving too fast, but that doesn't mean that it isn't love, merely that it's something that has to take time and that the two of them have to work together in order to make it work out. It is through this that Iona actually is the first to activate her "Innocent Form", which turns her outfit and even her hair white and more or less gives a temporary boost (since I doubt they're getting rid of Happiness Big Bang until they get all four Innocent Forms for the Cures). It's sort of an important story that finally does seem to get rid of some of Iona's edges and show she can be a normal girl as well...though at the same time at least she's the one who wants to take things slow considering the Megumi/Seiji mess.

-----

Ranma 1/2: Ep. 25 (Nettouhen Ep. 4): Behold! The 'Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire' Technique

Considering what happens at the end of the manga, I'm a bit surprised Cologne didn't gain the Phoenix Pill from...somewhere else.

Ranma is basically stuck as a girl due to Cologne touching the "Full-Bodied Cat Tongue" pressure point, thus making all forms of hot water, including lukewarm water, feel like it's boiling a frog. Luckily there is a way out...but unfortunately as Shampoo reveals rather quickly, it's more or less through Cologne: she has her hands on a special medicine known as the Phoenix Pill that can cure heat dysfunction like a phoenix rising from the ashes. But as I mentioned, the old Amazon witch has her hands on it and isn't going to give it up that easily, basically making Ranma go through humiliation after humiliation to get it, including working as a waitress at the Cat Cafe! But because she does still want Ranma to marry Shampoo and improve his strength as a husband to an amazon, she does teach him a way to get the pill: the "Kachu Tenshin Amaguri Ken", a move where you move with such speed that you can get your hands on chestnuts in a burning fire without getting burned. It's basically the first real "super-move" that Ranma has the potential to learn and it sort of ends up being a means where she has to think on her toes in order to learn it and thus get past the latest of Cologne's torments!

As mentioned, I'm not sure why they switched the stories around (this comes after the next one originally in the manga) other than to get the "super move" over with in regards to depicting the story. Obviously this is one that people who know of Ranma know about and some consider this a bit of a turning point...though there are still some wacky martial arts long after this point so it's really just a means of improving Ranma from being just a musclehead at this point. I do like the means Ranma does use to figure the move out, ultimately equating it to the fair game of goldfish catching...or pirhana catching as a shopkeeper does later, as a means of just going in and getting what you want without getting hurt. For the most part it does play out how it does in the manga, with probably one minor adjustment: Shampoo and Cologne were both at the fair with the other shops and were running the haunted house, which makes way more sense than Cologne possessing a spooky dungeon beneath a restaurant she just opened.
Old Today, 12:01 AM   #2787
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Hey, if they really wanted to emphasize teamwork and partnership, they'd throw in the Imagin animal disguise costumes in the background... oh wait.

With the Busters backed by a technological force, the way they interacted with Makuu Space makes sense (especially since they managed to break into Hyperspace; the Japanese word for it happens to rhyme). Even if their Enetron isn't at stake, they're resolved to protect the world, all while Enter contemplates invading yet another world before ultimately abandoning that idea. It's a fitting way to handle this diversionary crossover.
Old Today, 05:55 AM   #2788
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Hey, if they really wanted to emphasize teamwork and partnership, they'd throw in the Imagin animal disguise costumes in the background... oh wait.
Those costumes are used a lot, aren't they.

-----

OK, sort of a bit of an update since I don't have anything for tonight and going to see "Black Panther" after my board gaming session.

-I am starting a Sailor Moon watch most likely tomorrow. I'm doing things a tad "differently" on my DA with this, but they will be more traditional reviews here. It will basically be interspaced with Power Rangers; meaning I'm not doing "Lost Galaxy" until I finish SM season 1.

-After watching the Gavan two-parter in Go-Busters, I know I want to finally complete my promise and just dive right into the Space Sheriffs once and for all. Thing is...I'm not sure when or how to do it. The subs aren't the problem (though I know Gavan has a full sub, though Sharivan and Shaider may not); it's when and how. One part of me is telling me to do it after I finish Go-Busters...except I promised a friend Kyoryuger and I want to get to that next. Another says do it in place of the Cure seasons for the rest of the year...except that would mean delaying "Go! Princess" which I refuse to do. And then there's waiting until July: that could be fine, though at the same time either I just squish 144 episodes of Gavan/Sharivan/Shaider into the rest of the year...or I just do Gavan/Sharivan this year and begin '19 with Shaider. (let alone I wouldn't know which to replace with it; most likely I may stop the Sentai watch for a bit and hold off on ToQ until '19 since the PreCure slot's moving to Sundays and something else will start in July) Or...I just start Gavan after I do Ranma 1/2 instead of YuYu Hakusho.

Any advice or suggestions would help but at this point it feels a Space Sheriff watch may be inescapable with how much I encounter them.