Home Menu

Menu

Old March 24th, 2017, 03:30 PM #1
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Power Rangers: The Battle Begins (2017 Movie Prequel)

Written by Patrick Nelson Smith

Power Rangers: The Battle Begins contains spoilers for the 2017 Power Rangers movie.

*Disclaimer- Power Rangers and all related properties are copyright of Saban Brands, 2017. All original properties are copyright of Patrick Nelson Smith, 2017. Reproduction and/or use of these original properties without the author's consent is prohibited. No content may be reproduced without the expressed consent of the author.*

>>>>CHAPTER INDEX<<<<

Chapter One

Chapter One

Regada Two …

The Eltarian Voyager-class star cruiser listed across the haze of the planet’s upper atmosphere, its geosynchronous scanning systems assessing the dead planet’s terrain in search of any signs of the crystalline fragment of the Zeo Crystal.

“Alpha, increase parameters. If the crystal somehow survived Lord Zedd’s attack, we must locate it before it falls into the wrong hands,” the figure shrouded in crystalline, blood-red armor instructed. From the bridge of the cruiser, Zordon watched as the view screen, sculpted by metallic transtium rods taking various shapes, displayed the planet’s alien topography.

“Zordon,” Umon began. The midnight black armored second-in-command stepped across the bridge and placed a hand on the Red Ranger’s shoulder. “We’re too late.”

“No,” Zordon argued, scanning the bridge for his automated helper. “Alpha 5, I asked you to increase the search parameters!” With no sign of the bipedal Edenoian android, Zordon shoved past the Black Ranger and began accessing the holo-matrix at the center of the room.

“Master, the scans have completed. I’ve checked and re-checked them. There’s no sign of the Zeo Crystal,” a metallic voice came from the entrance. His two optic sensors glowing in the dark, Alpha 5 took an anxious step forward. “The scout team is returning as we speak.”

Fear, anger, and despair played across Zordon’s features. He knew the stakes were high- if someone as evil as Lord Zedd had come in possession of a Zeo Crystal, it would be only a matter of time before entire star systems were destroyed. While the crystal fragments had long since been accepted as the source of all life across the cosmos, if used correctly, they could also bring death and destruction to countless lives. He had not taken his role as the leader of the Power Rangers lightly- since the beginning of time itself, the Rangers had been the keepers of the Zeo Crystal fragments and their mystical powers. He knew that his team, and his team alone, were the last defense against the vile Lord Zedd and his armies of darkness- for no other Ranger team remained alive to contest him.

The main bridge entrance suddenly recessed, allowing entry to the Yellow, Blue, Pink, and Green Rangers respectively. Retracting her helmet’s visor open, Fenix, the Yellow Ranger, stared despairingly at the view screen and watched as Zordon fought to keep his composure. She was the closest to the team’s leader, having grown up in Andros City alongside Eltar’s Master Warrior. The two of them had trained together for nearly a decade before being chosen by the Morphing Masters, and the Morphing Grid itself, to become Power Rangers.

The Aquitian-born Power Ranger spoke gently to her old friend. “Zordon, there’s still time. Regada is a sparsely populated system- if Zedd has not returned to Nemesis, we still may have the chance to face him and take back the Zeo Crystal.”

“Fenix is right,” Danok, the wise and strong Blue Ranger added, his face revealed. “We already have the princess of Andros City on our side. Princess Mi, where does the House of Mikill stand on the matter?” Daint, soft spoken, and beautiful, Mi withdrew her visor and turned back to the Green Ranger. As the Princess of Andros City, she was often disregarded as simply another pretty face. The truth, however, was much more complex. A skilled archer and proven strategist, she was known within her own circle for getting the Rangers out of sticky predicaments on more than a few occasions.

“Why mount a straight-forward attack when we have the greatest spy in the whole of the Eurolean Arm in our midst?”

Zordon considered the implication. Rita had grown up outside the villages on the border of Andros City. She had never known the decency and luxury of modern life until she passed all the tests to represent her district in the annual City Games. Having won Champion of her district, Rita had then been selected by the council of the Morphing Masters to be judged by the Morphing Grid. Selected by fate, it seems, she then became the Green Ranger, replacing the previous Ranger who had been killed during the Datho Crusades. Stepping into the shoes of their fallen teammate, Rita’s ascension to the mantle of Green Ranger had not been without controversy- and had often found herself at the center of the team’s anger and frustration. She understood her role and did little to shake the status quo.

However, after five years of service as the sixth Ranger, Rita had more than proven herself. While the others had all been champions of various fighting styles and disciplines, Rita was street smart. With no parents to speak of, she had taken care of herself and her brother and done so by learning to do without and take all opportunities given. A discarded fruit meant she had nourishment. An unguarded fish meant a meal for her and her brother. Clothing put on display outside the markets on the border of the city meant protection from the elements. She had always survived on her own determination. Wearing the armor of a Power Ranger, she now had a greater purpose- to protect life, all life, by risking her own.

Zordon faced the Green Ranger, letting a sigh of desperation escape. “Rita, I do not ask this of you.”

“No,” Rita responded. “The Morphing Grid does.”

Zordon saw the pain of Rita’s revelation in her eyes. “I don’t …”

She interrupted. “I am a servant of the Power. The Morphing Grid speaks it’s will. I will do what is asked of me.” Uncomfortable silence settled across the bridge, save for the whine of servos from Alpha 5’s transtium core.

Umon, the Black Ranger, broke the still. “Then, it is settled. Alpha 5, bring up all last known locations of Zedd’s forces in the Regada system. Zedd will expect a full retaliation from the Eltarian forces. We will have the element of surprise- but we must act swiftly.”

Last edited by BattleRanger; December 30th, 2017 at 08:01 PM.
BattleRanger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 04:53 PM #2
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Any feedback would be appreciated. I can't do this with the support of you fellow Ranger fans. I'll be posting the second chapter, which will be a bit longer, around the beginning of April.
Old March 26th, 2017, 08:58 PM #3
> FlashmanX
Prism Flash

FlashmanX
Prism Flash

holy shit a new battle ranger story
FlashmanX is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 01:31 PM #4
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

FlashmanX wrote: View Post

holy shit a new battle ranger story
Hey man! lol ... yeah, I'm having alot of fun with this story. It may not be the same length as my others, but I really want to play around in the backstory that the movie gave us.
Old March 27th, 2017, 05:20 PM #5
> Deka_Break
"Red Ranger Power!"

Deka_Break
"Red Ranger Power!"

Oh, dear friend. This is what I've been waiting for. I haven't commented for a long time. I feel this is the perfect time for your work to make a resurgence. I love how this perfectly sets up a tragic fall for Rita. Does she turn because she inserts herself in this mission? Or is Zordon again at the middle of the controversy? I loved seeing him as a selfish and flawed figure gaining redemption in the movie. When I saw the first scene of the movie, I thought "What is BattleRanger going to do with this?"

A+ work, anxiously awaiting more.
Deka_Break is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 12:38 AM #6
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

It was a little surreal, because my story was Zordon and Zedd as the Red and Green Rangers respectively. I'm very anxious to flesh out this backstory now.

Thanks for the kind words. Working on Chapter 2 as we speak.
Old April 1st, 2017, 09:05 PM #7
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Lots of views, not alot of comments - good, bad, or indifferent, I'd still like to hear what you guys think about this story. I'm looking to finish up Chapter 2 this next week- and as more people see the movie, if there's any thoughts you have about the backstory or things you'd like to see explained or touched upon, let me know! This story is NOTHING without your feedback. So please, let me know how you think I'm doing.
Old April 1st, 2017, 09:11 PM #8
> yami senshi youkaiou
MCU Darkhawk

yami senshi youkaiou
MCU Darkhawk

Damn that's good.

It's like something I would expect to read in an​ official tie in book.
yami senshi youkaiou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 10:52 PM #9
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

yami senshi youkaiou wrote: View Post

Damn that's good.

It's like something I would expect to read in an​ official tie in book.
Thank you for the kind words. I wish Saban & Lionsgate would license someone to make an EU for the movie verse.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:26 PM #10
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Finished up Chapter 2 of the story today and going to start a rough draft of Chapter 3. I'm trying to pace myself here and not post content just because it's finished. I've made that mistake in the past- so once again, good, bad, or indifferent, I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

I will, however, share a small sneak peek at what Chapter 2 holds.

“Deploy counter measures,” Danok commanded, watching as the quadrafighters vanished from the forward display. Alpha 5 keyed in a specific set of commands into the ship’s system, releasing two dozen metallic drones from its underbelly. Already in mid fire, the lead quadrafighter’s volley fixed its interest on the distraction and blew the drones to kingdom come.

Alpha 5 turned back towards the Blue Ranger. “Ion cannons charged, sir.”

The Eltarian ship banked hard again and came around to face the enemy fighters. A glancing bolt from the lead fighter’s batteries struck the shield projector in a flash of azure light. A damned lucky shot, Danok cursed.

“Shields are down!”

“Tell me something I don’t know, Alpha.” With no sense of sarcasm or humor to speak of, the little android responded literally.

“The Zeo Crystal isn’t a natural occurrence. My study of the crystal fragments suggests that …”

Ay-yi-yi-yi,” Danok shook his head. “Remind me to ask Zordon about some modifications to your systems.”
I've also decided to release a new chapter, tentatively, on a monthly basis. I'm already well into Chapter 3 and look to have it finished before the week is up.

Last edited by BattleRanger; April 4th, 2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old April 12th, 2017, 08:03 AM #11
> sky_queen3
Blue Ranger Power

sky_queen3
Blue Ranger Power

I'm bad at reviews but I'm enjoying the story so far.
sky_queen3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 10:08 AM #12
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

sky_queen3 wrote: View Post

I'm bad at reviews but I'm enjoying the story so far.
Thank you! I'm glad you guys are all enjoying the story so far. Can't wait to bring you the next chapter in May!
Old April 13th, 2017, 04:03 PM #13
> Deka_Break
"Red Ranger Power!"

Deka_Break
"Red Ranger Power!"

Love the glimpse of the Quadrafighter! I love the blurring of the lines between the canonical seasons, I feel it makes for a more cohesive story. One of the strengths I feel with this franchise is large arcs, instead of dileniated seasons. I'd rather have episodic "brief glimpses" along the time line. No need for clear cut Zeo, Turbo, Space, etc...

I love that nothing is "new" here, per se. Even if it took a Hard Zeo turn (suits, zeozords, Auric), we'd have exposure through the glimpses of this and the movie. Also, I'm glad we're already into the action. Another origin story from frame one would be a little maddening. Great work, as always.
Deka_Break is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 09:36 AM #14
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Hey Deka_Break, always great to hear from you! Yeah, this story really started organically. I knew Rita was a fallen hero figure- so that would be very easy to capture in story form. I had started writing this story just as an exercise to see what I could do with it. There was no plan with the first chapter- and I'm still fleshing out the rest of the story as we speak. Walking the line of the movie canon is hard- there are some elements from PR seasons that I can drop in, but others are in direct contradiction with the story.

For example, the Pack that we saw in the Boom! Studios MMPR Annual 1 would be a great addition to this story- however, Goldar is not presented as the same character in the movie, so those two elements could not co-exist in this story.

Another trap I'm trying to avoid is a retelling of the backstory from my Power Rangers Saga fanfics. I want this to stand on its own and be different. There will be some similarities, but I'm desperately trying to keep it to a minimum.
Old April 17th, 2017, 07:41 AM #15
> sky_queen3
Blue Ranger Power

sky_queen3
Blue Ranger Power

Maybe movie Goldar is all that's left of Comic Goldar? (I don't know, it does seem odd that Goldar did get downgraded to pretty much Rita's megazord yet she spoke of him like a friend so maybe at one point he was more inline with his classic form? Sorry, I'm just rambling at this point.)
sky_queen3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 09:08 AM #16
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

sky_queen3 wrote: View Post

Maybe movie Goldar is all that's left of Comic Goldar? (I don't know, it does seem odd that Goldar did get downgraded to pretty much Rita's megazord yet she spoke of him like a friend so maybe at one point he was more inline with his classic form? Sorry, I'm just rambling at this point.)
I've considered this, but I think I'm gonna keep the movie canon clean and not involve any storylines from the Boom! Studios comics in it. I will be putting Goldar into my story, however, but he won't be a member of the Pack.
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:54 AM #17
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

Chapter Two

Zordon endured his long and painful tattooing at the hands of the Morphing Master Amit without showing any sign of the agony of the modification. The scarring of his cyan skin indicated that Zordon had endured and passed the trials necessary to become Eltar’s Master Warrior. As the bone needle penetrated his pale skin, drawing blood, his face remained stoic and focused.

“Ever more, the Morphing Grid seeks out those it wishes. Do you possess all that is necessary to gain its trust?” Master Amit questioned. The other Masters all sat in a semi-circle around the student and teacher, their faces reflecting the glow of the fire.

The response came without grimace or guile. “Yes, my Master.”

“Good,” the Morphing Master smiled. “Dark times are ahead of you, Zordon of Eltar. Dathos is a powder keg, ready to explode. Once you have achieved metamorphosis, you and your Rangers must contest the Dairakun Knights and bring an end to their terror. Do you accept this assignment?”

Emphasizing his instructions with the stab of the needle, Amit nodded and wiped the blood from his student’s arm.

Never flinching, never blinking, the Red Ranger, chosen by the mysterious and mystical Morphing Grid, replied, “I accept.”

“As you can see, makeshift campsites were reported as far in as Dekata Five. Zedd’s forces may be vast, but they don’t know how to clean up after themselves. The amount of energy required to power his weapon means that wherever Zedd’s forces have massed, they’ll be easy to locate.

Now, reports of a massive serpent like vessel are coming in from Aquitar, Tryforia, pretty much the entire lower quadrant of the Eurolean Arm. No doubt, Zedd is returning back to Nemesis with the Zeo Crystal in tow.” Umon stood at the apex of the bridge, the magnetic transtium viewscreen playing the corresponding images of several star systems.

Fenix scoffed at what Umon was proposing. “If Zedd manages to get his weapon up to full power, he’ll be unstoppable.” She had seen first-hand the destruction Zedd’s ultimate weapon had wrought to the Confederated Free Systems.

While the dark lord was not its creator, he had been its master for over a thousand years, ever since it was discovered buried in a remote asteroid. The Morphing Masters had told them it was a terrible remnant of a darker time, before the forging of the Power Coins. Some had even speculated that the great dragon was responsible for the destruction of the Zeo Crystal before time, itself, had even begun.

Serpentara. The name sent chills down her spine. Zedd had built his entire empire of death on the shoulders of the ancient terror. Entire systems had been laid to waste at its feet- but Umon, the Black Ranger, had discovered its weakness.

“If by some reason, we end up facing the might of Serpentara, we now have a tactical advantage. These sites, shown here on the view screen, have been discovered accompanied by large mines carved out of the earth. It’s my summation that Zedd is using geothermal sources to charge the weapon’s batteries, which leads me to believe that Serpentara is experiencing detrimental, intermittent power losses. Zedd knows nothing of strategy and will attempt to use Serpentara to blast us into oblivion.”

“Umon, let me stop you right there,” Zordon interrupted. “We have agreed that the best course of action would be to send Rita in as a spy to Zedd’s forces. I appreciate the briefing, but let’s not get too ahead of ourselves.”

The Black Ranger was easily the oldest of the group. Having served as a Sergeant in the Royal Army, he was as shocked as the others when he found himself chosen by the Morphing Grid to join the newly minted Power Rangers squadron. His hair was cut short, in a no-nonsense military style, set with sparse strands of grey. The long lines that dissected his face were broken up by a short, dark goatee.

“Nothing wrong with being too prepared, Zordon. Zedd is no fool- sending her in may be a suicide mission.”

The Red Ranger felt the long scar across his hip ache. He attempted to apply pressure to the area, hoping to sooth the throbbing pain, but the crystalline weave of his armor’s under suit refused to give way. The wound was a reminder that Zedd, Lord of Nemesis, was not to be taken lightly. Umon realized his mistake and quickly changed the subject.

“However, I believe I have the solution to giving her more of a fighting chance. Eltarian forces managed to capture a long-range quadrafighter during a skirmish at Dekata Four. Initial assessments revealed key tactical data for Zedd’s armies. As soon as the data is decrypted, we’ll be able to identify their bases within the region.”

“We don’t have that much time,” Mi, the Pink Ranger, stated, stepping onto the bridge. “We’ve been spotted.” The Eltarian cruiser suddenly lurched to the side, the lights of the command deck cutting out momentarily.

“Alpha, raise all shields and jam their signals. We can’t afford for them to alert Zedd’s forces to our position,” Danok, the Blue Ranger, instructed. Strapped into the pilot seat alongside the squat automaton, Danok desperately fought the control yoke, the ship banking and bringing their attackers into sight.

Alpha 5 identified the trio of space fighters. “Quadrafighters.”

“Thank you, Admiral Apparent. Charge the forward ion cannons.” The automaton nodded and flipped a series of switches.

“Charged. We’re armed, sir.” With no response, Danok flipped the covers on the yoke’s triggers and engaged the targeting systems. Streaks of energy burst from the ship’s cannons, reaching out and obliterating the left flanking quadrafighter. The ship trembled again, the blast from the lead fighter dissipating across the energy shield.

The four-engine Viper-class starfighter, known in most parts as quadrafighters, was one of the more vicious and capable ships in Lord Zedd’s fleet. Produced in masse at Tirol, the sole moon of the planet Nemesis, the fighters had more than earned their reputation in the galaxy. Piloted by Nemesian soldiers, nicknamed diamondbacks for the crimson rhombus of the Nemesis Legions prominently displayed across the back of their armored breastplates, the quadrafighters were as deadly as their proper designation would suggest.

“Deploy counter measures,” Danok commanded, watching as the quadrafighters vanished from the forward display. Alpha 5 keyed in a specific set of commands into the ship’s system, releasing two dozen metallic drones from its underbelly. Already in mid fire, the lead quadrafighter’s volley fixed its interest on the distraction and blew the drones to kingdom come.

Alpha 5 turned back towards the Blue Ranger. “Ion cannons charged, sir.”
The Eltarian ship banked hard again and came around to face the enemy fighters. A glancing bolt from the lead fighter’s batteries struck the shield projector in a flash of azure light. A damned lucky shot, Danok cursed.

“Shields are down!”

“Tell me something I don’t know, Alpha.” With no sense of sarcasm or humor to speak of, the little android responded literally.

“The Zeo Crystal isn’t a natural occurrence. My study of the crystal fragments suggests that …”

“Ay-yi-yi-yi,” Danok shook his head. “Remind me to ask Zordon about some modifications to your systems.” The Blue Ranger closed his eyes, slowing his breathing and feeling his power center itself with the Morphing Grid. A calming strength washed over his mind as he reached out and felt the power of the diamondbacks at the controls of the fighters. Danok squinted and squeezed off a blast from the ship’s cannons that struck the secondary quadrafighter, sending it careening into the lead fighter. The collision of ships erupted in a blinding burst of light and flames that was quickly extinguished by the vacuum of space. A shimmer of metallic debris was all that remained.

“Ugh, how do you eat that?” Umon asked of the Green Ranger, as she quartered and ate the white flesh of some river fish she had caught a few days earlier.

“Simple, you just avoid the bones. These stingwingers pack a punch- you just have to know how to prepare them,” Rita answered. Umon had spent most of his adult life faring off of prepackaged flashdried foods while serving in the Royal Army. When the meals ran out, Umon and his squadron had basically lived off bottom-feeding fish from the Rampoon River. The protein and nourishment had meant the difference between starving to death in the cold of winter and having the energy to defend the free provinces.

While the others had picked from a plate of breakfast meats, fruit, and fried breads, Rita preferred catching and eating fresh seafood. With their recent stay in the Regada system, home to some of the finest fishing in the Eurolean Arm, she had managed to catch and store enough food to last her another month.

A trilling alarm from the databank fixed on the wall garnered the attention of their chef and assistant, Alpha 5. Without having to move a single transtium servo, he had intercepted the transmission and decrypted it.

“Data link from Eltar, Zordon,” the automaton instructed. The Red Ranger cleared his spot of the fruit rinds and engaged the holo-display. A group of planets coalesced into existence above the breakfast, pinpoints of light indicating a group of coordinates on the largest of the worlds.

“Zedd is scheduled to arrive here, on Dekata Five, in two days’ time. We all know Dekata Five and Bromack Four are capitals of the Nemesian empire. From what data Eltarian forces were able to extrapolate, Zedd is planning on finishing the jump gate, making travel between Nemesis and the systems it governs instantaneous,” Zordon announced, reading the lines of data accompanying the images.

“I bet he’s going to use the Zeo Crystal to power it,” Mi added.

Danok nodded. “If Zedd is able to successfully power that gate, he may also gain access to systems beyond our reach.”

Rubbing his temples, Umon knew what the others were proposing. “And to more Zeo Crystals.”

“We cannot allow this,” Fenix stated, standing up from the table. She watched as Rita circled the table and approached Zordon.

“You can’t keep looking out for me,” she stated, placing a comforting hand on the Red Ranger’s chest. “I’m not the same girl you once knew.” Zordon sighed heavily and faced the databank. He knew the risk but he could no longer prolong it.

An only child, Zordon had seen Rita as a younger sister. When she was first chosen to become the Green Ranger, he had been her only friend in the months that followed. Once the full team had been chosen and trained, they had successfully defended the Dathos province, bringing peace and justice to the Eltarian state while vanquishing the Dairakun knights. Zordon knew what he had seen then- a glimmer of rebellion, a hunger for the power that the knights had achieved through their dark, illicit rituals. He knew the flaw in her character- and while he could not blame her for wanting the security such powers would bring her, he took it upon himself to watch her back and to, one day, find a way to cast such darkness out of her.

“That’s what I’m afraid of.”

Last edited by BattleRanger; December 15th, 2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:50 PM #18
> White Genesis
Power Ranger

White Genesis
Power Ranger

Very nice. I like it!
White Genesis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 10:25 AM #19
> BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

BattleRanger
Call the 5-4-1

White Genesis wrote: View Post

Very nice. I like it!
Thank you!
Old April 24th, 2017, 01:06 AM #20
> ShadowDragonRanger
Texas Ranger

ShadowDragonRanger
Texas Ranger

Outstanding work as usual. Love the flair delivered in your style - a way with details and depth to the narrative. I appreciate that there's quite a number of allusions and it seems like even a little glimmer of your own universe peeking through in some spots...or maybe I'm just seeing things. Atmosphere is an important factor in a story like this and I feel that you convey it in just the right way.

I'm enjoying what's been put on display so far and we're getting a sense of who these precursor Rangers were. It will be interesting to see what we come across as this reaches its inevitable conclusion. One of the best things about a "start of darkness" is the journey.
ShadowDragonRanger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
movie prequel, power rangers, power rangers movie, the battle begins