Home Menu

Menu

Old October 18th, 2018, 01:51 PM #861
> BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

fb111a wrote: View Post

I have to admit, that was real good relationship drama... far better than I could ever write on that subject.
Thank you! I definitely appreciate that.
BrownRangerKev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 07:50 AM #862
> BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

As promised, I'm posting my "deleted scenes" from the last chapter. It was originally conceived as a Rocky centric episode, but felt the plot was a little too goofy and not inline with the current direction of my series. Still, I liked these two scenes and am just gonna share them with you here...

In this first one, Rocky is watching Hillary wrap up a cheerleading practice from the benches. Tanya approaches him.

Rocky: Yeah… I just… I’m so mad at myself for blowing it, you know? Like here I have this crazy hot girl, who’s into me and has this fun, easy going personality. And I over thought everything I did around her and drove her away. I just wish… I could have a do-over with her. I know I’d do it right this time around.

(Ricky Rodriguez walks in, gives up his jacket and give her a hug.)

Tanya: You might have to join the waitlist.

Rocky: I can’t stand that guy. What does he do that I can’t do?

Tanya: Well did you go to her practices and give her your sweater?

Rocky: No… But I did save her life once.

(He tilts his head up, cuing a memory. It’s a grey and dreary evening in downtown Angel Grove. Hillary is on her lonesome, clutching onto her purse in the middle of a mostly empty street. She’s lost and nowhere near an open shop or a phone when she senses two shadowy men following her. Without looking, she speeds up, becoming further unnerved when the two men speed up as well. They call out to her.)

“Hey!”

“Hey sweetheart, slow down!”

(Scared for her life, she bolts. In an attempt to lose them she turns down an alley, hoping to run to the other side of the street. Ther dismay, a dead end. The men follow her into the alley where’s she’s now cornered.)

“What’s the hurry sweet cheeks?”

“Let me see that purse.”

(One of the men grab her by the arm. She instinctively tries to slap him in the face, but he grabs her by the wrist. The second rears back for a punch, but somebody catches it.)

“What the-?”

(In a blue blur, the man gets pushed back, then kicked into a row of garbage bins. The Second man pulls a knife, but gets it kicked away from under him, his wrist grabbed, thae pulled over the dark blue figure’s body and thrown against the wall.)

Hillary: …

(The two men stagger to get back up and charge for him. At the last second, he leaps up, causing them to smash into one another and fall to the ground unconscious. A frightened Hillary finally gets a good look of her hero and finds Zeo ranger 3, blue. He hangs upside down like a spider on a fire escape ladder as Hillary walks toward him, drenched in rain that continues to pour down. He readies to leave...)

Hillary: Wait…

Rocky: Sorry, no autographs.

(She approaches him, putting her hand down on the clasps of his helmet as if she’s about to remove it, then takes her purse and smashes him over the head with it.)

Hillary: So you’re the one who’s been making that breathing sound all day!

Rocky: AHHH!!!

(He snaps back to reality.)

Rocky: (Groans) It’s hopeless. I blew it, now bland handsome guy swoops in and probably never lets her go.

Tanya: Relax Rocky. I know you don’t wanna hear it now, but there’s plenty of fish in the sea. We’ve all made mistakes in past relationships that messed things up. We’re human. But I wouldn’t dwell on what you did wrong in the past, but rather what you’ll do right in the future. And when you meet the right girl, you’ll be glad you got all those mistakes out of the way.

Rocky: Yeah. Thanks…

Tanya: I gotta go meet Sean. I’ll see you around.

(Tanya rubs his back then goes.)

Rocky: It’d be nice if that right girl came sooner than later.

This second scene was the conclusion of Rocky's subplot. He walks into the Youth Center and sees his robo-girlfriend making out with Ricky, not his twin brother Mickey.

Rocky: Alright, let's get going. There's this view of the sunset. Gonna blow your mi- Cecelia!

(He walks in, finding Cecelia on Ricky's lap in the middle of a passionate kiss.)

Cecelia: Rocky?! Is that you? (Turns to Ricky) Who are you?

Rocky: What's going on here?

Cecelia: (Sighs) I'm sorry Rocky. I don't think this is working.

Rocky: Why not?

Cecelia: No offense? But you're kinda weird. You say strange things and wear the same colored clothes each day?

Rocky: (Looks down) How would you know that?

(Just then, Hillary also walks in from the Juice Bar.)

Hillary: Wha- Ricky?! What is the meaning of this?!

Ricky: I’m… I’m blind?

Hillary: I hate you Ricky Rodriguez! We’re through.

(Hillary storms out of the exit, while Rocky just stands there, wallowing in his own self-pity. Until he realizes he has an opening.)

Ricky: Wait, Hillary!

(He tries to go after her, but slips over the mess of smoothie and falls to the floor. He struggles mightily to get back get back up but keeps on skidding back down.)
Old November 7th, 2018, 02:06 PM #863
> BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

Season 4 - Episode 10: I Don't Care if I Never Get Back

Tommy: Am I losing my mind?

Billy: Not at all.

(We pick up where we left off. It's a cold autumn night. Robbie was just let down by Trini moments ago. Tanya realized her need to mourn the loss of her husband supersedes the need to fill the hole left by his absence. And Tommy was just starting to come to terms with the ghosts that have been haunting him since the invasion.)

Billy: It means you’re human. You saw things no person should have seen. And you were in charge of making decisions a 17 year old shouldn’t.

Tommy: What should I do?

Billy: What you’re doing now is the first step. Talk to somebody.

Tommy: Can I just keep talking to you?

(Billy looks to be nodding in agreement. Just moments ago Billy too was struggling with with his own ghost. Himself. Finding his friends looking past him since losing his powers, Billy has just taken his first steps in redefining his role on the team. He is the voice of reason. A role sorely needing to be filled by a man sorely looking for a role to fill. He saw his friends each struggling with their own demons, jeopardizing the makeup of the team. He's decided from this point forward he will do what he must to help keep the team's collective heads straight. Then, his communicator rings.)

Billy: Hang on. (Answers call) Yeah Zordon.

Zordon: Billy, report to the command center immediately. Your help is needed. We have a distress signal from Aquitar, Billy. They need someone to go over there and help them right away.

Billy: …

(With that, Billy was gone by the next day. He boarded a ship that blasted him to Aquiatar. And while the Empire tried to intervene, the trip was successful. Over the next few weeks the team was forced to get by. They survived numerous plots on their own, even without the gold ranger who was conspicuous in his absence. But they held their ground with every attack. As far as the interpersonal makeup of the team? Well, things started to shift...)

Katherine: Ooh. I love this show.

(It’s a weeknight evening inside the dark apartment. Both Kat and Tanya are wrapped in a blanket flipping through the channels.)

Tanya: Ugh. I can’t watch this crap.

Katherine: Why not?

Tanya: They totally ruined it. I hate it when a series tries to force a brand new romance right at the end of its run.

“Bye sweetie!”

“Bye Hannah.”

(Just then, Robbie walks through the door with Hannah.)

Hannah: Call me…

Robbie: Sure.

Hannah: Will you miss me?

(He closes the door on her without answering, then quickly untucks his worn looking white button down as he heads toward the hallway.)

Robbie: (Nods) Hey girls.

Katherine: Hey. So you do still live here?

Robbie: Seems so.

Tanya: We thought maybe the bathroom was just blowing itself up.

Robbie: Funny. Speaking of which, we need to discuss our policy on leaving the window open when not at home. A bird flew in.

Tanya: You’re full of crap.

Robbie: Well the house certainly was by the time he left.

(He lumbers away, pulling at his tie as if it were choking the life out of him.)

Tanya: Where are you going?

Robbie: My room?

Katherine: (Pats sofa) No. You need to come sit with us. Feels like we haven’t seen you in ages.

Tanya: Yeah. You’re not pulling your weight as a roommate.

Robbie: I’m paying rent, aren’t I?

Katherine: Yeah, but you’re never here. You’re always either at work or with your new-old girlfriend.

Tanya: So much for you staying single for a while and not just settling.

Robbie: (Shrugs) Hey. She may be a silver medal, but her daddy's pockets are lined with gold.

Tanya: Classy…

Katherine: We rented “Pretty Woman.” Come watch it with us.

Robbie: (Snickers) No thank you.

Katherine: C’mon…

Tanya: Don’t be such a stranger, Robbie.

Robbie: (Sighs) Fine. I’ll watch some of it.

(He finally unravels his tie as he marches over.)

Robbie: But I’m warning you. If there’s no boob in the first twenty minutes, I’m out.

(90 minutes later…)

Robbie: This is… beautiful.

(The credits roll in a movie with no boob though Robbie finds himself completely mesmerized.)

Robbie: That was incredible. I’ve never seen anything like it.

(He turns and finds the girls have been huddled together for quite some time, fast asleep. He turns back to the screen and continues self-reflecting.)

Robbie: This movie. It gives me a new outlook on life. I mean, what have I been doing with myself? I’ve been so caught up in Hannah’s flaws and her past. I’ve been ignoring… the beauty inside of her. In a way Hannah’s… my hooker with a heart of gold.

Tanya: (Murmurs) You got that right.

(Realizing he’s been caught he scrambles to change the channel and puts it on a baseball game.)

Tanya: Enjoyed the movie?

Robbie: I was uh… just watching the game. That movie was stupid.

“The Angel Grove Master Batters are just seven outs away from their first pennant and a date with the Hershey Park Fudge Packers this Sunday.”

Robbie: (Clears throat) History’s being made so uh… I was getting a bit emotional. Not to mention their first ever Championship series would start on my birthday. It’s like a dream come true.

Katherine: (Gasps) It’s you’re birthday this Sunday? Oh my goodness we need to celebrate. Let’s do something nice.

Robbie: You wanna turn on the heat?

Tanya: Something we can afford every month.

Robbie: (Shrugs) It’s cool. I don’t really need anything special.

Katherine: You’re not slithering out of this one, mister. This is your big 18. This is a huge deal. We have to do something. We have to be there at least when you try your first beer.

Robbie: Hahaha…

Katherine: …?

“Swing and a miss and that’s out number two.”

Robbie: (Clears throat) Right.

(Meanwhile, on the moon, the Empire huddles around a Television set for that same broadcast of the game.)

Klank: I don’t get this baseball. If these teams are rivals, why doesn’t that guy just smash his opponent over the head with that bat?

Prince Sprocket: (Yawns) How many innings are in a game?

Orbus: Too many.

King Mondo: Focus, team. Don’t worry so much about that silly game.

(Mondo, separate from everybody else, turns to the balcony.)

King Mondo: It appears brown ranger’s having a birthday. We simply must throw him a party!

Orbus: (Whispers) Sounds like the beginnings of a recycled plot.

Klank: Shh! His wife is here.

King Mondo: Yes, it’ll be a truly special occasion indeed. So much so, that I think it best that we pay him a visit personally. Gyahahaha.

(We fade into the next day at sunny Angel Grove Park. We find Tommy and Adam leading a karate class with about a dozen children. As they dismiss the group, Katherine and Tanya approach from afar.)

Katherine: Hi guys.

Tommy: (Wipes sweat) Hey. How’s it going?

Tanya: Not bad. How was class?

Adam: No complaints. Well, except that Rocky ditched.

Tanya: He what?

Tommy: He’s supposed to help us out. But I guess he’s busy with his new girl. I mean don’t get me wrong, I like her. Definitely not a Barbie doll that he usually tries to go after.

Adam: More like a Barbie doll who’s in a band and has holes in her pants.

Tommy: Anyway, what are you girls up to?

Katherine: We just decided to get some air. Brainstorming about what to do for Robbie’s birthday.

Tommy: That’s right. Rob’s birthday is coming up.

Tanya: Any ideas on what to give him?

Katherine: He says he doesn’t want anything, but I mean he’s one of our closest friends. We can’t just not do anything. He brought us into his home when we needed it. And let’s face it, he’s one of our leaders.

Tommy: Whoa...

Tanya: One of our leaders. Second from the top. At best.

Tommy: (Nods) …

Katherine: Problem is we don’t really know what he likes. He’s not the most forthcoming person in the world.

Adam: (Shrugs) He seems to love misery and disappointment. Any way you can put that into a box?

Tanya: We did catch him getting emotional at the end of a Master Batters game. But that could’ve just been the romantic comedy we just saw.

Tommy: Actually I think he does like them.

Tanya: Romantic comedies? We know.

Katherine: He isn’t fooling anyone.

Tommy: No, the Master Batters. He used to take Trini to games all the time.

(The girls’ eyes suddenly brighten up simultaneously.)

Tanya: Sounds like an idea!

Katherine: And the championship series starts this Sunday. It’s perfect!

Tanya: We can buy tickets, and bring him our gifts and take pictures.

Katherine: I’ll make a scrap book!

Tommy: Actually… this might be an activity that would be best if it was just us guys.

Katherine: What?

Tanya: Why?

Tommy: Uh… just… knowing Robbie. And knowing all his girl troubles he’s been going through lately. He might prefer a fun, simple night out with the guys. Would it be cool if we hijack your idea?

(The girls sigh, conceding.)

Katherine: Fine. Whatever.

Tanya: Have your stupid guy’s night out. We’ll think of something else.

(The boys grin with excitement as their stolen idea is a go. We fast forward a few days to the big game. A nearly packed house filled with enthusiastic fans. The smell of freshly cut grass and the sounds of adrenaline pumping ballpark music dominates the senses as the Master Batter’s first championship series appearance. With thirty minutes to game time, and Tommy and Adam are already seated, enjoying a bowl of popcorn and nachos.)

Tommy: It sure is nice out.

Adam: Sure is. Looking forward to a guy’s night?

Tommy: Yeah. I mean don’t get me wrong. I like the girls, but they’re… I don’t know.

Adam: (Snickers) You think they’re icky?

Tommy: Nah. They’re just too much sometimes. They’re so into feelings and emotions. And they love to meddle. They’re always trying to get you to talk about what’s on your mind. It’s exhausting. I don’t think Robbie would be into that right now in the state he’s in.

Adam: Robbie? Or Tommy?

(Tommy shrugs, without answering.)

Adam: Hey. It’s cool man. Women, am I right?

Tommy: Tell me about it.

Adam: (Laughs) So, what did you get Robbie?

Tommy: I actually wrote him a poem.

Adam: …

(Adam raises an eyebrow as Tommy reaches into his pocket. He pulls out an folded up piece of paper.)

Tommy: “How do I say ‘I love you’ to your best friend?”

“You don’t?”

(From behind a female voice appears. They turn and find Rocky, hand in hand with Jennie the sardonic waitress and his new girlfriend.)

Adam: Hey… Rocky …Jennie.

Jennie: What’s up, girls? How’s the slumber party? Did I miss the part where we make our own lip gloss?

(She steps over Adam and Tommy to grab a seat, quickly resting her boots over the seat in front of hers. Adam, looking somewhat irritated, turns to Rocky.)

Adam: Uh… this was a guy’s night out, Rocky.

Rocky: Don’t worry. Jennie’s cool. She’s totally like a guy.

(He turns back to Jennie who’s scratching her nether regions. Meanwhile…)

“Alright gentlemen listen up.”

(Somewhere else within the stadium, Lt. Stone walks in front of his crew.)

Lt. Stone: We have beefed up security at the ball park today because of the last attacks. I don’t want any funny business, understood?

Bulk and Skull: Sir, yes sir.

Lt. Stone: I need you on your best behavior. The Mayor is on us about security. She’s on me about security.

Skull: (Leans in) Have you seen the mayor? Wouldn’t want her to be on anyone.

Lt. Stone: Boys! This is my job on the line. This game must go down without incident. Am I clear?

Bulk and Skull: Sir, yes sir.

Lt. Stone: Alright. Now we’ brought a long some new recruits from the academy to fill the gaps. I want you boys to keep an eye on them at all times. They are your responsibility. And you two are my responsibility. So treat them as I would treat you.

Bulk: (Salutes) You can count on us, sir.

Lt. Stone: God help me.

(Shaking his head in exacerbation Stone walks off, passing by the recruits in the process.)

Rito: So, you ready for your first day?

Goldar: Ready as ever.

Rito: Have you thought up a chant for beating down minorities?

Goldar: I was thinking of 'stop resisting.'

Rito: Ah. Can't go wrong with the classics.

Bulk: Alright maggots! Aten hut

(They straighten up as their “superiors” call their attention.)

Skull: You two call yourselves cadets?!

Rito: I’m Rito.

Skull: You’re not Rito. You’re just some punk bully off the streets looking to make a name for yourself. You just want the respect that comes with a badge and gun.

Goldar: You made us take these jobs to pay for food, remember?

Rito: Wait. We get a gun?

Bulk: Quiet! Drop and give me fifty!

(Rito shrugs, then reaches into his pocket and hands him money. Bulk and Skull stare at one another, then have a change of heart.)

Bulk: …dismissed.

(Meanwhile, back at the seats…)

Rocky: You know Jennie, this stadium was used as a shelter during the invasion. They have a bunker below field level. Kept about a thousand families safe.

(Filing her nails, Jennie feigns interest.)

Jennie: Interesting.

Rocky: Yeah. I love looking up random tidbits like that. It keeps the brain sharp.

Jennie: Your… shoes are on the wrong foot, Rocky.

(Next to them, Tommy seems bothered by the light as Adam impatiently checks his watch.)

Tommy: Man, the sun is really blinding me. Wish I brought my shades.

Adam: Where’s Robbie? The games about to start.

Rocky: I hope he’s not flaking on us.

Adam: What do we do?

Tommy: (Shrugs) Well. Nothing we can do now. Might as well enjoy the game and whatever else is left of our night out with the guys.

“Tommy?! Oh my gosh.”

Tommy: Huh?

(The guys look up and find Katherine and Tanya walking down the aisle, holding balloons and gift bags.)

Katherine: Today was supposed to be the game you were going to? We had no idea.

Tanya: It was just the darndest thing. I told Kat, you know what would be good for the first girl on the Angel Grove baseball team? For me to see an actual game in person. Honestly, what are the odds?

Tommy: (Sighs) Hey girls.

Adam: Honestly. Does no one respect the sanctity of guy’s night out?

Rocky: Robbie isn’t here yet.

Tanya: Shoot. He better not bail.

(Just outside the stadium, as people are still filing in, Robbie, still dressed in his work slacks and white button up is seen running through a parking lot. He stops before the main entrance to catch his breath.)

Robbie: (Panting) …

“You’re late.”

(He looks up, and finds Hannah standing before him.)

Robbie: You’re… stunning.

Hannah: …You’re forgiven.

(Hannah, dressed in a pair of daisy dukes and a cropped “Master Batters t-shirt revealing her slender stomach smiles back at her boyfriend as he greets her with a gentlemanly kiss on the hand. Back inside, the rest of the teens are seen enjoying some snacks as the game is underway. Jennie, who was just bought some cotton candy, removes a wad of gum from her mouth and hands it to Rocky.)

Jennie: Here. Hold this.

Rocky: Sure!

(He takes it with an oblivious smile. Adam, who’s been annoyed by her presence the entire time, tries to hide an eye roll.)

Rocky: That’s a nice necklace by the way, Jen.

Jennie: Thanks. My dad’s in here.

Rocky: Oh wow. You really should let him out then.

Jennie: (Laughs) You know, you're something special Rocky.

Rocky: Thanks. I get that a lot.

Katherine: Tommy, can I have some popcorn?

Tommy: Uh, yeah. Help yourself.

Katherine: Thank you.

(She enthusiastically digs into the bowl of popcorn on his lap.)

Katherine: They say the really salty ones are near the bottom.

(She digs in more aggressively.)

Tommy: Man, this sun is blinding. I can’t keep looking.

(He tilts his head up and groans. Robbie walks in on the compromising position.)

Robbie: Am I interrupting something?

(Everyone is taken by surprise, but quickly turns on the energy.)

“Happy birthday!!”

(They all get up to greet him with hugs and handshakes.)

Tommy: Happy birthday, bro.

Katherine: I knew you’d make it.

Robbie: Thanks.

Rocky: We’re glad you’re here man.

Robbie: Well… I almost wasn’t. I wasn’t really up for today. But (Shrugs) I guess you only turn 18 once, right?

(He takes a look at the back of the crowd and zeroes in on a familiar face he hasn’t seen in a while.)

Robbie: Jen?

Jennie: (Raises eyebrow) Have… we met?

(She looks back at him in his business clothes with a blank stare.)

Robbie: Yeah? I knew you in sophomore year! What’s up?

Jennie: I don’t think you did.

Robbie: Yeah. You asked me out, remember?

Jennie: (Snickers) Whatever you say, suit.

Robbie: Don’t you remember? We hung out that one time, then I stopped it when I told you I still had feelings for…

“Hi guys!”

(Just then, Hannah walks down the aisle by Robbie’s side. He immediately stops what he’s saying as the teens groan a greeting back to her.)

Hannah: It’s so nice to meet all of Robbie’s friends. I’m Hannah.

Robbie: You’ve… met them all.

Hannah: Oh! (Shrugs) Okay then. Well, sweetie we should go.

Tanya: Go?

(He looks back uncomfortably.)

Robbie: Uh… yeah.

Katherine: …what’s going on?

Robbie: Well… Hannah surprised me with… upgrades. Her uncle… owns the team.

Rocky: Sweet. Where are we sitting?

Robbie: Uh… Sorry.

(Then just like that, Robbie awkwardly walks away, his girlfriend grabbing him by the arm as she skips alongside him. He leaves his friends, their warm greeting and their celebration behind in a strangely symbolic way. Robbie moves to the area behind the home team dugout. There, he spots the mascot, a humanoid bat with two baseballs for feet, dancing and interacting with the fans and children. But once Robbie enters the section, it’s like the mascot falls int a trance and just focuses on him. Gawkily letting him pass with his eyes remaining locked. The couple notice, but don’t put much behind it.)

Hannah: Honestly, it’s like some people have never seen an interracial couple before. Get a life?

(Elsewhere…)

Bulk: (Displeased) You would think fifty bucks would go a long way.

Skull: Yeah. You would think.

(Bulk and Skull hover over the single bag of chips they spent Rito’s money on.)

Bulk: This better be the best bag of Cracker Jack's I've ever eaten.

Rito: (Scratches neck) Uh... guys?

Bulk: Not now, rookies. Were on break.

Goldar: There was a fight between two drunks in the bleachers.

Bulk: (Laughs) Did you record it?

Goldar: No. One of them looks hurt.

Skull: What do you want us to do about it?

Goldar: Um. We're cops.

Bulk: Correction. We're cops.

Rito: (Shrugs) Well, not technically.

Bulk: Just call a medic. If someone is hurt you write a report and call a medic.

Rito: You mean they don't just fall down and blow up?

Bulk: Geez. Are you from another planet?

Rito: ...

Bulk: Never mind. Here.

(Bulk throws a set of keys at him)

Bulk: There should be a first aid kit in the bunker. Just clean him up and he'll be fine.

(Rito and Goldar just look to one another with blank expressions before turning away.)

Bulk: (Hacks) Ah!!!!

Bulk: You okay?

Bulk: I ate the prize.

(We forward to a few innings later and back to the stands. The game is well underway and the crowd’s excitant reaches a fever pitch, hanging on every play. The teens however don’t look overly invested. Most of them don’t care about baseball, Rocky has even nodded off. The others still look affected by Robbie’s absence. Jennie seems to be the only one mentally present. She leans over and nudges Tommy.)

Jennie: So, the cliques changed quite a bit no?

Tommy: Huh? Uh. Yeah, I guess so.

Jennie: I thought it was strange that you’re the only one I recognized. I thought maybe I got the group wrong.

Tommy: Nah. I mean Billy’s still here, he’s just… out of town for a bit. And well, some of us moved. Some of us changed schools. And Zack uh… passed away over the summer.

Jennie: Wow. Really? How?

Tommy: He was killed.

(Jennie stops filing her nails for a second to process what he said. She takes a moment to let it sink. Then nods stoically before continuing.)

Jennie: Can't say I'm shocked.

Tommy: Hmm.

Jennie: Say uh… whatever happened to that guy who used to hang with you? I can’t remember his name. Wore the same color a lot.

Tommy: You’re gonna have to be more specific than that.

Jennie: You know, he’s kinda like Rocky? Kind of goofy. Not the smartest guy in the world but he was real. I sort of had a thing for him too. I even think he was Mexican, like Rocky.

Tommy: (Shakes head) He wasn't.

Jennie: Oh, so you know who I’m talking about?

Tommy: …

(Jennie was of course talking about Robbie, the person she didn’t recognize a moment ago. While he’s gone through some changes in the past two years, he’s still just a section away in the front row. Trying to enjoy the game.)

Hannah: Oh my gosh so for Halloween, Robbie and I are gonna go to the cemetery and watch a showing of Crow. Shut up, you too?

(Trying would be the operative word. Even if his mind weren’t running a mile a minute, he’d still have to wrestle with Hannah, who’s been on the phone the entire game next to him. Not to mention the mascot constantly blocking his view as he dances right in front of him atop the dugout.)

Hannah: God, Brandon Lee is so dreamy. Was that is. Did you know Robbie said he’s never seen the first movie? Only the second one. I mean who does that? And he said he only saw it cause he thought the girl in the second one was cute. Whatever.

Robbie: ...

“THROW A STRIKE VASQUEZ. YOU’LL NEVER MAKE IT IN THE MAJORS. “

(Not to mention the loud drunk behind him jeering as if the outcome of the game depends on it.)

Hannah: Anyway Lindsay, I gotta go. My batteries gonna die any minute.

Robbie: Lucky battery.

Hannah: Hey birthday boy. You enjoying your game?

Robbie: Sure.

Hannah: Life must be pretty great for you right now, huh?

Robbie: What do you mean?

Hannah: I mean you’ve seen things you’ve probably never thought you’d seen. You have front row seats to your favorite team. We’re back and going stronger than ever. You have a nice new job; a real job, not that filthy coffee job you were destined to rot away at.

Robbie: So basically you’re my white savior who took me who recused me from myself.

Hannah: No. Not necessarily. But if you do write a book one day make sure you spell my name right.

Robbie: …

Hannah: Kidding. It’s not all me of course. I mean, you’re about to graduate high school. That was all you! I bet two years ago you never thought that would happen.

Robbie: (Shrugs) I suppose. Though these days finishing high school isn’t all that special. I mean they hand out diplomas to any idiot that can pass air through their lungs.

(Meanwhile…)

Rocky: (Gasps) ...

Jennie: Are you okay?

Rocky: Yeah. Forgot to breathe.

Hannah: But you are happy with me, right? With us?

(He looks into her big blue, loving eyes. He can’t help but sink back into the post ‘Pretty Woman’ glow.)

Robbie: Of course.

Hannah: Yay. And these are amazing seats, too if I do say so myself.

“ALRIGHT. WAY TO GO VASQUEZ. RING EM UP!”

(Rubbing the inside of his ringing ears, he gets up out of his seat.)

Robbie: Right. I think I'm gonna go get a beer.

Hannah: Ooh. Can you buy me some cotton candy? And a pop in one of those nice souvenir cups.

Robbie: Okay.

(Expecting Hannah to reach for her deep purse, Robbie doesn’t move.)

Hannah: Great!

(But, neither does she.)

Hannah: …

“YOU'RE A BUM!!!”

Robbie: Aren't you gonna give me money?

Hannah: Why would I? You're the man.

Robbie: It’s my birthday.

Hannah: I know. Uh. I got you these upgrades?

Robbie: That your uncle gave you. For free.

Hannah: Are you only interested in me for my money?

Robbie: ...I uh…

Hannah: I can’t believe you would be so shallow. Ugh. Of all the people in my life I'd ever think would just use me, you'd be the last I’d expect. You’re just like every other guy that’s used me. I thought you would be better.

Robbie: Han, I’m sorry I just…

Hannah: That is just repugnant, and despicable and horrendous and my dad cut me off. And, and, and atrocious.

Robbie: Wait, what was that?

Hannah: My uh... dad found out we were back together. So, he took away my credit cards. Is that alright? Do you still love me?

“TRADE EM!!!"

(He looks again into her large, genuinely sad eyes as his stated reason for being with her again fades away with her father’s disapproval of him. Still, he finds it hard to hold it against her after letting it sink in her willingness to jeopardize her own family for his sake. She may not be perfect in his eyes, and her pockets may no longer be lined with gold, but this hooker’s heart, is still pure gold in his eyes.)

Robbie: (Sighs) ...what kinda souvenir cup do you want?

(Moments later, Robbie passes by the team on his way to the stands. He gives them an awkward wave as Kat happens to turn her head back and spots him.)

Katherine: Wow. This is brutal.

Tanya: Yeah. No way they’re coming back four down. Their offense is horrible.

Katherine: No, I mean Robbie. This was supposed to be about him. We’re here for him. And he’s not even with us.

Tommy: He did say he didn’t want anything, to be fair. I wouldn’t totally blame him.

Jennie: I’d blame Yoko.

Tanya: Who?

Rocky: (Leans in) I believe you mean Trini. And he’s not with her anymore.

Jennie: No, Yoko Ono. She broke up the Beatles by dating John Lennon. He changed when he started seeing her?

Katherine: Huh. Interesting analogy.

Tommy: Whatever man. If he doesn’t want to hang with us today, it’s fine. Can’t we just enjoy the game? It’s a nice day out. It’s good to just be out as friends and just clear our minds of everything wrong in the world. Is that okay?

Katherine: You’re right Tommy…

(After the last out of the inning, the players leave the field. A large American flag being held by soldiers enters from the bullpen along with a group of children.)

“Ladies and gentlemen, please rise at this moment as we honor the men and women lost in the recent attacks by the Machine Empire with a rendition of God Bless America.”

Tommy: (Sighs) …

(Meanwhile, after waiting an eternity on line, Robbie finally approaches a vendor to buy his much needed drink.)

Robbie: Hey. Can I get a beer please?

Vendor: Sorry, this is a dry county.

Robbie: (Sighs) Jesus Christ...

Vendor: That’s exactly right, son.

(As he turns away to roll his eyes, somebody appears behind him that he doesn’t see.)

Trini: (Gasps) …

(Trini, decked out in Master Batters gear, spots him from the back. She hesitates, getting uncomfortably apprehensive about whether or not she should walk up to him before bolting in the other direction.)

“Thank you to Angel Grove Middle School for that touching rendition. Now please direct your attention to the scoreboard for your fan announcements.”

Katherine: Oh no. Shoot.

“Happy retirement mom. You deserve this moment. Love Brad and Angie.”

Adam: Huh? What’s going on?

Katherine: He’s not even here. (Sighs) Great…

Tommy: What do you mean? What’s going on?

“Happy 18th Birthday, Robbie. We love you and will always be by your side. Love your REAL family: Kat, Tanya, Tommy, Adam and Rocky.”

Adam: Ooh…

Tanya: Ugh.

Tommy: Awkward.

Jennie: HA.

(She turns to Rocky and whispers in his ear.)

Jennie: How tacky. What cornballs think these public announcements are a good idea anyway?

“Jennie, you are the girl of my dreams. Will you marry me? – Rocky”

Jennie: (Turns head) Wha-

Rocky: UHH COME HERE.

(He throws himself onto her and forces a kiss to distract her. Meanwhile, Trini walks back to her seat on the other end of the field. Looking like she’d just seen a ghost.)

“Hey, you missed it.”

Trini: What?

(She takes a seat beside Jason Scott, wearing a Master Batter’s cap.)

Jason: They wished Rob a happy birthday. I think he’s here.

Trini: Oh… yeah?

Jason: Yeah. I think Rocky’s getting married too.

Trini: Um. Good. I’m happy for him.

(She looks across and finds Robbie behind the on deck circle, sitting next to his new squeeze.)

Robbie: They were out of souvenir cups. But I got you this.

(He hands her a Master Batters pen from the gift shop.)

Hannah: This is so sweet. But… where do I put this? I don’t have pockets.

Robbie: I don’t know, but put them on the rim of your panties then.

Hannah: (Sighs) I have to wear panties for this?

(As they speak, the mascot hovering above him stops in place; eyeing Robbie. As if waiting for its cue. Trini also continues to eye Robbie. She hadn’t noticed him before, but now can’t see anything else.)

Jason: So how’s this “new Trini” coming along?

Trini: Huh? Oh. I guess you can say it’s a work in progress.

Jason: Cool.

(Pause.)

Jason: Ever think of the old team?

Trini: More so than I’d like.

Jason: (Nods) Yeah. Me too.

(Another pause.)

Jason: Ever think of going back? You know, if you could be a ranger again?

Trini: I don’t know. I think that part of my life is over.

Jason: Yeah. I don’t know. Sometimes. I just… I get so angry you know? Like I need to do something. I don’t know what? Payback maybe? I’m not sure. But I’m not really at ease just sitting around.

(She zones out again, eyeing Robbie. Jason catches on and leans in once more.)

Jason: So, have you called him yet?

Trini: Huh?

(Meanwhile…)

Hannah: So, has she called you yet?

Robbie: What?

Hannah: Don’t play stupid. Has she called you yet? To wish you a happy birthday?

Robbie: Oh. No.

Hannah: Okay.

(Pause.)

Hannah: Have you blocked her number yet?

Robbie: What? I’m not doing that.

Hannah: Why not? She’s your exe. What reason would you still need her number?

Robbie: I’m not doing that. I’m not caving to your b.s. controlling behavior.

Hannah: It’s not controlling. But if you respect me as your girlfriend and you’re serious about us you would understand where I’m coming from.

Robbie: And if you trust me, you would know I would never do anything while I’m with you.

Hannah: You’ve already cheated on a girl before. And like they say, once a cheater always a cheater.

Robbie: I cheated on her with you.

Hannah: I rest my case.

Robbie: I’m not having this discussion.

Hannah: Ugh. Typical. You never want to have any serious talks. You just shut me out. I never get to express how I’m feeling with you. It’s never a good time to talk.

Robbie: (Groans) Oh god. Kill me now.

“YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND!!!”

(The mascot suddenly lunges from the top of the dugout onto Robbie and begins chokes him, with an iron vice grip. Confusion all round turns to terror as the ball players stop what they’re doing, turn toward the crowd and morph into an army of Cogs in uniform. The crowd goes into a panic as Stone struggles to maintain order. The teens find Robbie and rush over to help. Instinctively, Trina tries to as well…)

Trini: (Gasps) Robbie!!

(She gets up, but Jason holds her back.)

Jason: He can take care of himself. We need to go.

Trini: …

(Behind them, mobs of families and citizens follow Bulk and Skulls lead.)

Bulk: Let’s move, let’s move!

Skull: This is not a drill!!!

(Tommy and the others make it down to Robbie’s aide. He pries the mascot off of a vulnerable brown ranger then kicks him away as Robbie gasps for air.)

“Sui-yaaaa!”

Robbie: (Wheezes) …

Hannah: Robbie!

Tommy: Are you alright?

Robbie: Yeah. (Gasps) Just great.

(Adam turns to Hannah.)

Adam: You should find somewhere safe. We’ll get Robbie help.

(Without hesitation she leaves, freeing the team to face off with the robotic doppelganger.)

Tommy: Who are you? You’re no ordinary mascot.

The Master Batter: But I am. Consider me the mascot of your massacre. And the team I cheer on is the true Murderer’s Row. Call me, the Furious Master Batter.

Tommy: …

The Furious Master Batter: Brown ranger, consider that a little birthday gift from the Mondo. And I’ve got a few more guests who’d love to help you celebrate.

(The cogs start jumping over the dugout and spilling onto the stands. Without pause, the rangers get in formation.)

Tommy: It’s morphin time!

“Zeo Zero, Brown!”

“Zeo Ranger One, Pink!”

“Zeo Ranger Two, Yellow!”

“Zeo Ranger Three, Blue!”

“Zeo Ranger Four, Green!”

“Zeo Ranger Five, Red!”

(Now morphed, the teens waste no time getting to work. Tommy ducks a kick from an enemy, blocks a punch, then comes back with two stiff strikes to the abdomen. Knocking him over a row of seats.)

Tommy: Strike one.

(Adam blocks a right swing with a bat, then a left swing and answers with an uppercut to knock him down the aisle down a long flight of stairs.)

Adam: Strike two.

(Kat cartwheels forward then springs to the air to land a kick to the jaw.)

Katherine: Strike three. You're out!

(Rocky ducks a kick, then a punch, then grabs a fist, using the Cogs own momentum to shove him back as he trips over somebody's nachos and stumbles over the barricade, onto the field.)

Rocky: Strike four! Safe!

(Tanya lunges forward toward the concession area, ducks a clothesline, then from the other side sends a few hard short kicks to the jaw to knock him away, and over a popcorn vendor stand, knocking cups and bowls all over himself.)

Tanya: This one's on me.

(Meanwhile, Robbie and the mechanical mascot have spilled onto the field for a face off; encircling the pitchers mound.)

The Furious Master Batter: Brown ranger, I've been sent by the Empire to send you back to the minors where you belong.

Robbie: Try me, rookie.

(Robbie shoots up a stomp to the monster's abdomen, then when keeled over he tries to put him in a headlock, but can’t quite get his arms around the giant barrel of the bat shaped head.)

The Furious Master Batter: HA.

(The evil mascot breaks free easily and smashes his face on Robbie's entire upper body, knocking him back. Stunned and a little dazed, Robbie finds himself quickly outmatched. Meanwhile…)

Bulk: Exits are blocked. Follow me to the bunker. It’s just a bit further.

Skull: Let’s move, everybody move!

(Bulk and Skull lead the crowd of people as they run down several flights of stairs into a dark tunnel.)

Jason: C’mon people. It’s gonna be okay.

(Jason and Trini in the back.)

Trini: Stay calm. The power rangers will keep us safe.

Jason: We just need to hang tight for a while.

(Bulk and Skull finally reach the entrance to the bunker. Stone then appears through the crowd.)

Lt. Stone: Okay, open her up.

(Bulk and Skull eye one another. Then back at Stone. They search their pockets but come up empty.)

Lt. Stone: Who’s got the keys?

Goldar: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ…

(Just inside, Goldar and Rito are hunkered down; surrounded by empty cans of rations. Goldar is fast asleep as Rito continues to dig in.)

Rito: Mmm. This is some good grub here. Way better than the stuff in the stands.

(He turns the label to read “SPAM.”)

Rito: Must be for those fat cats in the box seats.

(Outside, Bulk tries to pry open the door to no avail as Stone glares at him. Trini and Jason look back at one another, acknowledging silently that they’re gonna need to step in.)

Jason: You guys wait here, we’ll find something. Trini, stand guard.

Trini: (Nods) Right.

(Meanwhile, on the moon…)

King Mondo: The time has come. It is time for our grand entrance.

Queen Machina: We’re fashionably late. But I’m sure we’ll be the life of the party.

King Mondo: We’ll be the only lives of the party when they see what I have in store. Gyahahaha.

(Back on earth, the fight continues. Robbie pulls out his laser pistol and fires at the monster. He flips forward and ducks a backhand from the mascot. The two exchange blows, only to be blocked by the other, like two bulls locking horns. Finally the Master Batter is able to knock him backwards with stiff kick to the midsection.)

The Furious Master Batter: I’m actually a little hurt brown ranger.

Robbie: Oh yeah? Why’s that?

The Furious Master Batter: Where's my invite?

Robbie: You didn’t come to mind. Glad you crashed though.

(Robbie leaps up and around and rocks him with a spin kick right in the jaw. Disoriented, the monster tumbles backwards and trips over second base, crashing into the floor. Back in the stands, Kat takes care of a few more cogs, still upset with how the day has gone.)

Katherine: I’m not in the mood to deal with you fools right now!

(She takes a wild swing at the cog in front of her, who ducks.)

Katherine: My friend's birthday party is ruined…

(She takes another swing. The cog ducks again.)

Katherine: Our friend, who won’t give us the time of day…

(From both sides, two cogs grab hold of her arms and try to pin her down. The enemy in front tries to capitalize, but she recovers quickly by using the cog to her side as leverage to lift herself up and land a double kick to the chest. The enemy flies backwards and falls over a row of seats, landing on top of Robbie's gift bag.)

Katherine: And now his Diskman is broken!

(Not too far away, Jason is seen sneaking onto the field unnoticed as he heads into the home team dugout.)

Jason: There’s gotta be another way into that bunker.

(He finds evidence of a hostile struggle all around him as clothes and equipment are thrown all around. He knocks on the door of the manager’s office, but figures it’s empty. He looks inside and finds a door in the back to the right of the skipper’s desk that reads ‘emergency exit only.’ He walks over and shoves it open, triggering a deafening alarm, startling those inside…)

Goldar: Huh-what?!

Rito: What is that?!

Jason: Goldar!

Goldar: Jason?!

Rito: What’s going on?!

Goldar: What year is this?!

Jason: I should’ve known you were involved.

Rito: Hang on buddy I ask the questions here. License and regist-

(Jason drills Rito with a roundhouse kick on his way to Goldar.)

Rito: Ugh. Officer down…

Goldar: What the?!

(Making a bee line, Jason grabs Goldar by the neck.)

Jason: You. I’ve been waiting to see you again.

(Goldar chokes, unable to speak.)

Jason: You took my friend from me. Prepare to join him.

“HA!”

Jason: Huh?

(Jason turns around, and finds company.)

King Mondo: You think that incompetent tool was capable of such a sophisticated largescale attack?

Jason: Who… who are you?

King Mondo: The architect of the earth’s destruction. The puppet master who pulled that monkey’s strings when he took your friends life. Mr. Taylor should consider himself lucky that he won’t live to see me finish the job.

(Infuriated, Jason now receives confirmation that the attack in Switzerland wasn’t a coincidence. This drives Jason to a fighting stance.)

Jason: You don’t get to speak for Zack.

King Mondo: Oh? Shall I speak for Trini when I’m through with her?

Jason: Huh?

(As they speak, Trini remains on high alert in the dark tunnel. She hopes that nothing gets past her, but already mixed within the crowd and unnoticed is Prince Sprocket. He holds a backpack decorated in Master Batter stickers and places it on the ground before disappearing. Meanwhile)

King Mondo: Teleportation would be nice right about now. Too bad those days are over, red ranger.

Jason: I’ll destroy you!

(Suddenly, Jason feels a tight grip on both of his arms. He finds he’s been grabbed by cogs, led by Klank and Orbus.)

Orbs: That was easy.

Klank: Rita and Zed had trouble with this?

Jason: Let me go!

King Mondo: Now, now. Take it easy, muscles. I need to address the birthday boy as he tell him he’ll no longer have to worry about any hang ups with yellow ranger. That’ll make quite the gift if I do say so myself.

Jason: You’re a monster!

King Mondo: No.

(He leans in close to Jason.)

King Monde: I am the monster.

Jason: …

King Mondo: Find him the best seats in the house. I want him to see this.

Klank: Yes sire.

(Klank, Orbus and the cogs vanish on cue as Monde walks out of the dugout. They reappear with Jason at the top of the section behind home plate as Mondo walks onto the field.)

King Kondo: Aha. Welcome rangers. Beautiful day for a game, isn’t it?

Tanya: Oh no. Look!

Rocky: Its Mondo!

Tommy: Brace yourselves guys, this can’t end well.

King Mondo: People of Angel Grove. A warm hand if you will. For we have a birthday boy among you. Brown ranger, step forward please.

(His voice echoes in the now empty stadium. The rangers look amongst each other, perplexed.)

Robbie: Where’s he going with this?

King Mondo: In honor of you I will give to you in a few short moments, a gift, you shall never forget.

(Back inside the tunnels, Trini remains on guard; unwitting to the bomb planted in the crowd of a few hundred. Suddenly, a mysterious figure appears from the shadows.)

Trini: Who’s there?! Show yourself.

(Her breathing picks up as she readies for attack. But the figure doesn’t slow down.)

“Relax. I’m on your side.”

(The gold ranger returns from a hiatus. ‘Go Gold Ranger’ plays as Trini recognizes that this is a ranger, albeit one she’s never seen.)

Trini: Who… who are you?

Gold Ranger: I’m a friend.

(Calmly, the gold ranger walks past her, picks up the backpack, and walks back where he came from. He stops briefly to address Trini
once more.)

Gold Ranger: I love your work, by the way. Keep doing what you’re doing.

(Meanwhile, back outside…)

King Mondo: Brown ranger, you live in the past in a world of what ifs.

Jason: Let me out of here!

King Mondo: What I will grant you, is a reprieve. In another 30 seconds, I shall put those questions to bed.

(He feels a tap on the shoulder.)

"Excuse me."

King Mondo: Huh?

Gold Ranger: I think your son dropped this.

King Mondo: Oh. Thank you. I tell you, if that boys head wasn't screwed on he'd... AHHHHH!!!

(He chucks the loaded backpack into the air, caught by Tommy. Throws it to a cog, who throws it to Adam, who throws it to a cog, who throws it to Tanya, who throws it to another cog, who throws it to Robbie.)

Robbie: ...

(Robbie hangs onto it, then looks right at Mondo as he walks toward him.)

Katherine: Robbie...

Rocky: What are you doing?!

Tommy: You have to drop it. It’s gonna blow.

(But he doesn't listen. He instead walks up to Mondo, then stares him in the eye. Then at the last second tosses it to the Furious Master Batter as the bomb detonates. He goes up in a dramatic ball of fire reaching the skies that would have no doubt killed many in the audience, instead backfires and kills Mondo's own monster. The whole time it unfolds, Robbie never breaks eye contact.)

Robbie: The next time you want to show your fat ugly face in Angel Grove. Remember how close you were to me ending you.

King Mondo: ...this isn't over, rangers. Not by a long shot.

(He vanishes, ending the current threat. Jason manages to break free of the cogs just before they too flee. He rubs where they had on a tight grip as Trini emerges, in awe of what she just witnessed down on the field.)

Trini: …wow.

Jason: You see? Robbie can take care of himself. He doesn’t need your help anymore.

Trini: …I guess so.

(Meanwhile, back on the moon…)

Klank: Oh no. Master is going to throw a strop after this defeat.

Prince Sprocket: Yeah. Daddy doesn't like showing his face unless victory is in the bag.

(From the back, Mondo walks in.)

Prince Sprocket: Uh… I think its past my bed time...

Orbus: Mine too!

King Mondo: Good work everyone! That went as well as I'd hoped.

Prince Sprocket: What?!

Klank: But Sire, we lost.

King Mondo: Did we Klank? Did we really? Do you know why I had us all come down there today? It certainly wasn't so we could all see that degenerate brown ranger one final time before he lands in adult prison.

Klank: ...

King Mondo: When I last saw gold ranger, I promised myself that his days of interfering in my plans would be numbered. I don't break my promises.

Klank: But sir, he interfered in our plans...

King Mondo: He thinks he did. Little did he know there was a greater plan afoot that he knew nothing about. Neither did most of you. And you all played a role. While I played the menacing yet dashing distraction, my wife here did the real work when she planted a bug on the Gold Rangers ship.

Orbus: You what?

Queen Machina: Thank you honey. We knew once we came down there the gold ranger would inevitably show himself. He can’t help himself. Now we know his every move.

King Mondo: Any large scale attack will be thwarted by him. And what I've got planned will be brilliant.

Queen Machina: But first, we destroy their fail safe. A swarm of cogs have him tailed as we speak.

King Mondo: No wonder you're the woman I married. Hahahahah.

Queen Machina: Ahahahahaha.

(Klan, Orbus and Sprocket look on at the maniacally laughing royal couple, in awe and bemusement. They had all been played in an unsettling ruse to get the gold ranger. We fade away to a few hours later, back on earth…)
Mr. Kwan: Stone, I don’t know what else to say.

(Inside of a large office, Lt. Stone, Bulk and Skull stand before their boss like children about to be scorned after today’s giant blunder.)

Mr. Kwan: Your directions were very clear. And yet you not only lost the keys to the bunker, but they wound up in the hands of monsters.

Bulk: Sir, we can explain.

Skull: It was our fault. Those… cadets… were under our supervision.

Mr. Kwan: And you two were under Stone’s supervision. So as far as I’m concerned, this is on him.

Lt. Stone: I understand sir.

Mr. Kwan: Good. Clean out your desk.

(Bulk and Skull look stunned. Just like that, after all their own screw ups, after all the times Stone covered for them. One mistake and Stone’s career was over.)

Lt. Stone: Okay sir. Thank you for everything.

(Stone walks out, without a fight. Bulk and Skull stay behind with looks of immense guilt.)

Mr. Kwan: You two may leave. Go finish your shifts.

Bulk: Sir, we quit.

Mr. Kwan: What?

Skull: Yeah. If Stone isn't welcomed here. We’re not either.

Mr. Kwan: ...

Bulk: Effective today were turning in our badges and guns.

(They place their badges and guns on Mr. Kwan’s desk.)

Mr. Kwan: You weren't given guns...

Skull: Oh, so we can keep them?

(Moments later, Stone steps outside the building with his stuff in a box. He looks outside into the streets and exhales deeply.)

Bulk: Stone, we’re coming with you.

Lt. Stone: What? What are you boys talking about?

Skull: We left. There’s no Junior Police without you.

Lt. Stone: You… really didn’t need to do that.

Bulk: Yes, we did. What happened wasn’t your fault. It’s the least we could do.

Lt. Stone: (Nods) Thanks boys. And you know what? It’s really not the end of the world. I kinda wanted to purse my dreams anyway. Now I don’t have anything holding me back.

(He walks forward, and looks u hopefully into the sky.)

Lt. Stone: As of today, I will now become… a private detective. I’m gonna open a firm.

(Bulk and Skull look to one another, unsure of how to take the news.)

Bulk: What about us? We just quit our jobs.

Lt. Stone: How would you two like to be… my junior detectives?

(Their eyes suddenly light up, as Bulk shakes Stone’s hand.)

Bulk: Sir, it would be an honor to continue to work under your tutelage.

(Meanwhile back in the power chamber, the rangers get debriefed after today’s battle.)

Zordon: Good work today, rangers. You thwarted what looked to be another largescale attach by the Empire.

Tanya: The ball players and mascot they kidnapped were returned right after we won. Its good to know they were unharmed.

Tommy: It’s also good to know Mondo isn't done with the theatrics. At least next time we’ll be ready.

Zordon: Agreed. It is unfortunate that this spoiled your celebration, Robbie.

Robbie: Oh, yeah. Don’t worry about it.

Katherine: (Mutters) Not like it was much celebration going on.

Robbie: Excuse me?

Tommy: Here we go. They’re meddling again.

Katherine: Nothing, Robbie. It was nothing.

Tanya: No, actually it’s not nothing. What you did today, stunk.

Robbie: Huh?

Tanya: Do you know the trouble we went through to get you those tickets?

Robbie: There were a ton of empty seats. And they were like ten bucks a pop.

Tanya: Doesn’t matter. It was the thought that counts and we thought about you. Because you’re our friend. And it was you’re birthday. And you couldn’t be bothered to sit with us. You ghosted us. Just like you have since we moved in.

Robbie: (Sighs) This again?

Tanya: Yes, this again. I don’t know what’s gotten into you but you’ve been extremely distant. Do you want us to leave? Cause just say so.

Robbie: No, I don’t.

Tanya: Then tell us what’s wrong. Is it Hannah? Cause I think this has a lot to do with Hannah?

Robbie: I don’t have time for this.

Tanya: I've got to say, I don’t think Hannah has not been good for you. She's like your Yoko Ono.

Robbie: (Sighs)...

Tanya: Since you’ve gotten back together you’ve become incredibly selfish and unappreciative. After all the things we've done for yo-

Robbie: Enough, okay? You want to know why I’ve been distant? Wanna know why I don’t want to be best friends forever with any of you. Because you're full of crap. You're gonna leave just like everyone else has.

(His booming voice silences anything else inside the power chamber. They all stand in shock as he continues.)

Robbie: Two years ago. I had what I thought then to be my best birthday. I finally felt like I belonged. I had friends. I had a place. They're all gone. Tell me, what do I have left to celebrate today?

Tanya: ...

Robbie: That was two years ago. Two. Not even a president's term and absolutely none of them are standing here right now. One of them is dead. And another wants nothing to do with me. The rest are off doing something better with their lives. And where does that leave me?

(Nobody has an answer for him.)

Robbie: I'm 18 now, so at best I have to leave this team soon. And at worst I get to stay around while you guys leave because you've all graduated into colleges. That won't make me feel like a total loser.

Tommy: ...

Robbie: I mean why would I get close to any of you, when the moment I do you're just going to split. I don’t know why I bother telling you all of this. I should just go home and cry to my mom about this. But wait, she split too!

Katherine: ...

Robbie: I mean, I know Hannah isn't perfect. But she's pretty, she's sweet when she wants to be. And she's safe. I couldn't get rid of her if I wanted. And right now, I can't deal with anymore goodbyes. Its just, too much for me to handle.

(His voice breaks up. He clears his throat.)

Tanya: But Robbie. You're our friend. We love you.

Robbie: Do you?

Katherine: Of course we do. We adore you. We just wanted to make you happy today. To see your favorite team.

(He shakes his head.)

Robbie: Not mine, Trini's favorite team.

Katherine: What?

Robbie: I... don’t really care about sports. I only told Trini I liked the Master Batters because... I wanted to get close to her.

(Then suddenly, all his apprehension about the game and this day becomes crystal clear if it wasn’t already.)

Robbie: Look I appreciate everything you've done. Really. You are my friends. But I'm just not in the mood to celebrate today. I think I'm just gonna go home.

Katherine: Okay Robbie.

Tanya: Be safe okay?

Katherine: Were here if you change your mind.

(He nods, then turns away from the team and teleports away. Just then the back doors open. Billy and Alpha walk in holding a cake.)

Alpha: Surprise! Happy birthday Ro-

(Ad they enter they find that the air has been sucked out of the room. And Robbie is no longer there.)

Billy: Did we... miss something?

(We fade to about an hour later. After a long walk, Robbie reaches his home. He throws his keys on the counter and reaches for his tie with a ferocious rip, as if he were ripping off shackles around his neck. He takes a deep exhale before walking into his room. He looks around before reaching for his answering machine.)

“No new messages.”

(As much as he prepared his mind to hear that, his heart still sinks to his stomach at the sound. None of his supposed friend had reached out to him on his birthday. Their friendships to him were meaningless to them, he thinks to himself. As he unbuttons his shirt, he takes a glance at his reflection in the mirror. He takes a good, long look at himself as if no longer recognizing the man on the other side. His clothes are corporate and cold, his face is lifeless and dull and look like a smile hadn’t come across it in a while.)

(For whatever reason, the sight of his own reflection really gets to him. His lip quivers as he tries to look away. “Not today” he thinks. “I can’t let this happen today.” He looks down and finds his Walkman laying on the counter. He remembers what an old friend once told him about listening to happier music to make him a happier person. He decides to throw it on and give it a try as he lays down in his bed.)

“SUAVEMENTE. BESAME.”

(The stereotypically Hispanic song comes on. Suddenly, a memory floods to him. It was exactly two years ago at the Youth Center. His friends. His old friends break into laughter as they celebrate his 16th birthday with a surprise party. The memory brings a bittersweet joy to him as he recalls all the teens in the Youth Center, including most of the ranger teens rush out to dance. One however, the most important one, stays behind with Robbie.)

Trini: I hope you like what we did for you.

Robbie: I like what you did for me.

Robbie: Thanks Trini. No one has ever actually put this much thought into anything for me.

Trini: Well get used to it.

(She playfully pokes him in the arm. A few brief moments later they were dancing together with everyone else. Robbie then comes out of the memory, in tears.)

Robbie: (Sniffs) …

(He turns away to face the wall as the music continues to play. He raises the volume of the music to drown his own crying during what feels like his loneliest moment. Just then however, the phone rings. It goes unanswered.)

Trini: (Sniffs) …

(Trini is on the other end of the line, also in bed. Her face puffy and red as the answering machine plays.)

“Hi you’ve reached Robbie, Kat and Tanya. Leave a message and we’ll get back to you. But probably not (Beep).”

(After a few seconds of silence, she hangs up the phone, as the episode comes to an end.)

Last edited by BrownRangerKev; November 10th, 2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old November 9th, 2018, 12:53 PM #864
> fb111a
Power Ranger

fb111a
Power Ranger

Wow... an excellent installment in this...

VERY NICELY DONE!!!
fb111a is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 02:20 PM #865
> BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

Thank you fb!

I felt this was once of the good ones. And it's nice to hear it.
Old November 10th, 2018, 01:21 PM #866
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

I've got something in my eye...real solid character work here, Robbie's letting everything come loose.
Cameron Samurai is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 03:36 PM #867
> BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

Thanks Cameron! That's very kind of you. Things are staring to pull together now!