Home Menu

Menu

View Poll Results: If I were to bring back a weekend watch (as a marathon method), what would you want?
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers" 10 19.61%
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers"
10 19.61%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3" 5 9.80%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3"
5 9.80%
Kamen Rider Fourze 14 27.45%
Kamen Rider Fourze
14 27.45%
Avatar: The Last Airbender 13 25.49%
13 25.49%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97) 8 15.69%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97)
8 15.69%
Other (Say what in the thread) 1 1.96%
Other (Say what in the thread)
1 1.96%
Votes: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM #3861
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

You could probably say the same thing about the other generals as well (especially Shitataare who hates his guts and Kintolesky who doesnt care about anything except training and competition).

Though that said, I forget if its mentioned at all but did Goyan actually create the generals or did Akudaikan actually do it as he says despite being basically an artificial construct?
Akiba Black is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM #3862
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

What makes the relationship between Lelouch and Suzaku so complicated? It's sort of a Faiz-esque thing: they both know what they're fighting for, and they both know their opponent is wrong, but neither one knew whom they were fighting for a while. Gaining that knowledge would certainly put a lot into perspective; unlike Faiz, though, it's not a mutual reveal. With that, it may be a shock to Lelouch, but it's also information that he'd use to a tactical advantage, even if he'd have to question his priorities (like putting so much trust into Suzaku... and putting it in again and again). It's also a nifty parallel that Euphemia trusted him but worries for his sake, especially when Brittania is still willing to treat him as a sacrificial pawn. There's the flip side of it: Lelouch sees Suzaku as capitulating parallel to the way Japan capitulated to Brittania, and with the way this had a domino effect on international politics, Lelouch would not want that to happen to Suzaku, enemy or not.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM #3863
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

Though that said, I forget if its mentioned at all but did Goyan actually create the generals or did Akudaikan actually do it as he says despite being basically an artificial construct?
There's actually no explanation on where the five main generals come from, only that Kaoru and Michiru possess Akudaikan's "flame of life". (oh and it's confirmed with citations: the generals are based on the Chinese/Japanese concept of Wu Xing involving the elements, the ones that is also used in the days of the week thus being Wood, Fire, Earth, Water and Metal and the Kiryuu are the only ones who don't match that)
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM #3864
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

The Kiryuus count in that regard too (representing the sun and the moon respectively).

Incidentally they were also played by the same actresses who voiced Moop and Foop. Kaoru specifically was also voiced by two people (her original actress had to leave the show because she was pregnant at the time).
Old Today, 03:14 PM #3865
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

The whole Kiryuu thing gets confusing at times.

And speaking of which...

-----

ARIENAI TO WAKUWAKU MON DA (and everything else in between)
A Pretty Cure Rewatch
Stage 3: Futari wa Pretty Cure Splash Star

14: Well, finally time to talk about the most interesting of the Dark Fall minions...yep, it's time to talk about everyone's favorite ground spider, Dorodoron! I can't help it, he's just a fun character from his weird voice to just his element of getting to the point of things. I just find it ridiculous that when the other Dark Fall villains show up in All Stars DX2, he's the forgotten one considering he's one of the most interesting!

Oh yeah...those two...while they're important characters, my biggest problem with Kaoru and Michiru is that they sort of follow the same beats as Kiriya at first: they leave their base when they're not instructed to, join the same school, befriend the Cures and just prove themselves to be perfect and alien at the same time. I sort of actually think sometimes Kiriya is more interesting because at least he's male and it doesn't become what this ends up becoming; but that's because hindsight's 20/20 and with the Kiryuu path being the one taken for all the others like this who all happen to be female, it just sort of shows when something that did it first still feels innovative. I did like the sub-plot about the fellow friend Itou though, who just sort of feels like she's trying her best to make them feel welcome but can't help that Kaoru and Michiru are more or less zombies at this point with their arrogant behavior and cold personalities.

15: Dorodoron is probably one of the funniest of the Dark Fall generals and it's seen in top form here, particularly where he just tries to deal with a Cure situation on his own only for Kaoru and Michiru to tell him "be more stealthy about it" and thus leads to a rather fun scheme of sneaking a pebble Uzaina into Saki's glove to disrupt her softball aspirations. I do like that Saki is a bit too thick headed to realize she's being manipulated at first and ends up going through this whole crisis of confidence leading to her mom sort of reminding her about her love of softball and giving her her own catching glove to use...only for Dorodoron to just blatantly come up to them and say "hey, can you use your own glove, it's better" leading to the fight of the episode. It's actually one of the few times where they blend together a situation of a Cure crisis caused by a villain, have the Cure work through it, and then have the villain confront them so easily in a comedic way that works for their own character (all while Kaoru and Michiru just sneak around despite us knowing how Saki and Mai work rather easily)

16: Come on, I like Kaoru's dream: destroying the world is valid in my opinion.

There are plots that sometimes feel like they're overdone in pop culture but that doesn't mean that they can't be done good. In fact I actually like this episode despite the common trope of "overhearing a conversation about one thing and it's actually about something else", this one being about Kenta thinking he's going to take over the family business of the boat shop when he wants to be a comedian. It's actually a rather thought provoking episode about the means one has to go through to pursue a dream and having the courage to do what needs to be done, which we also see with Saki and Mai amidst it all. Heck even Dorodoron pushes himself, sort of just sick of being bullied by Goyan and deciding "why can't I be Akudaikan's second!?"...if only the poor lummox knew.

17: This is an interesting episode in that it's sort of feels a lot like some other episodes we've seen where some calamity happens to something (Saki and the book of Mai's brother, Minori and Mai's pic) but it is taken in a different direction. This time being about Mai breaking her mother's archaeological discovery (a haniwa that looks like Choppy surprisingly) and while she doesn't mind, it's more about Mai and her feelings about dissapointing her mother and doing what she needs to in order to make things better in her own head. I get Mai sort of overdoing it (again, I sort of feel that same way she does here) but there's this whole thing about trying to make things better in the midst of dramatic turmoil...heck there's just a lot of these sorts of personal episodes this season I noticed, with even Choppy sort of trying to fix things by finding another haniwa around the Sky Tree. (it does make me wonder though: considering what we find out about the Sky Tree at the end, how long have Flappy and Choppy been there; its interesting considering how they seem to not have a temporal problem like Mepple and Mipple and don't have "normal" fairy lives like many other fairies in other seasons who are born and can even die...yet if Flappy and Choppy have this long existence in and around the Sky Tree, it's almost like their ageless; it probably could be why it's just easier to classify the two as "spirits" as opposed to the fairies every other season uses)

18: Well it's been several episodes so let's start building on making Kaoru and Michiru into friends of Saki and Mai more so when things turn around, we can have tragedy. Eh, I do actually like Kaoru's development here the most, mostly because I like her interactions with Minori and the idea that she is one of the few out there who doesn't treat her like a kid; Kaoru's development feels more realistic than Michiru who just sort of still feels cold with the way she acts in helping out at the shop. Though considering certain lines here, I just have to ask: considering the ending, how the heck did Akudaikan create the means of Dark Fall's own downfall like this? I guess they want to make it like there are good things that can emerge even in the darkness but it makes no sense and just makes this very weird thinking back on it; heck why did they even need a special duo for the Fountain of hte Sky to begin with? Oh and considering the importance of Gourd Rock, it's a shame that Dorodoron's Uzaina of it is rather...lame.

19: This is an episode with an interesting idea but a terrible execution. The main concept is "all objects have spirts in them and if you take care of them well, they'll return the favor". However...what we get is a terrible episode about Kaoru and Michiru stealing a glove and sketchbook, magic pencilcases and of course the whole "misunderstanding that is a misunderstanding but isn't for some reason or another. (so Saki and Mai don't meet with each other; they literally don't have to meet each other every day!) The magic pencilcases are probably the most gratutious though: it's the worst sort of product placement randomly used in one episode and never seen ever again, just like those random notebooks Intelligen gave the Futari trio last season! It's like these two seasons wanted to actually copy the interesting plot element of the notebooks from the first season that were sort of instrumental in the Poisony battle, but nothing else ever works and they don't do it again after this season...can't imagine why. Oh...and Dorodoron tries and attacks while Kaoru and Michiru act like Kaoru and Michiru. (at least he's still entertaining) At least it isn't as bizarre as Soular's similar plan in Fresh, though...

20: (sniff) Fare thee well poor Dorodoron. At least you gave your all in the end. I do like that he actually has a specific power-up where if it rains, he becomes more powerful due to being able to fully take advantage of muddy ground; it's also sad that he made the "my body's falling apart to it's death" bit work way better than Zydos in Dairanger, with him surviving losing the last Miracle Drop...only to just fall apart once he thinks he's alright. And again, this episode seems to make it more like Kaoru is the only one who deserves to live and who cares about anything in this world due to the connection with Minori; Michiru never really has any such thing and yet she has to go along with anything her sister does. I really wish Michiru had something to at least make her feel she's becoming human amidst all that's going on so it feels even.

21: You know it would have been funnier if Saki was the real Black Hole of All Stars DX3. (maybe end the movie with a gag of Saki visiting Lucky Spoon and Kanade throwing her out)

With this episode FINALLY Michiru and Kaoru's turn after rudely interrupting poor Dorodoron for the last 7 episodes, they immediately set up the whole "tragic resolution" of things with the two just furthering their connection with Saki and Mai by visiting Mai's observatory and getting a lesson in astronomy from her father. I find it ridiculous that Saki and Mai consider the two as "friends we never want to live without" so quickly after meeting them but considering the whole way this arc played out and how Honoka bonds about the same amount of time with Kiriya, it probably works in that sort of way. (really at least the Setsuna arc took place over the entire first half of Fresh instead of just a few episodes) I do also like this is the only Uzaina the two create, but of course it's seen by Mai leading into the next couple episodes, showing that at least she knows when something's up and Saki's...about as thick in the head as most Pinks.

22: Kaoru/Michiru climax pt. 1: more or less it's just build-up leading to the revelation at the end of the episode, but basically I do like how torn we have it with the two of them. It's bizarre that we have this whole idea that they think "desolation is the only way to end suffering and life is the problem, not the solution"...yet at the same time they were created to be alive so why in the world would they think themselves as part of the answer instead of part of the problem? My big problems remains Michiru though: they try to make it like she has something dear to make her endearing and tied to the two of them or this world...but she really doesn't; Kaoru has Minori and all she has is just the Cures in general, and even then she remained colder than her sister yet the only thing she has is "teaching Saki math"...is that something to make her endearing? I do like that Saki is oblivious to it all until the reveal while Mai knows and can't bring herself to tell her until the two just reveal themselves; despite issues it is still heart-wrenching to see things get this sfar.

23: Kaoru/Michiru climax pt. 2: the part where they sacrifice themselves for their new friends. I'm really confused though considering later revelations: if Goyan created Akudaikan, then why did Akudaikan create Kaoru and Michiru, in particular why did he create them the way he did for how he did it? Did they need a sixth guardian because of the six springs they conquered (outside the five elements the others are made of) and they just figured to create these two and somehow it tied in with the massive lore of the Fountain of the Sky? And why did they have more free will compared to the other generals for Dark Fall? Regardless, the sacrifice is tragic, though it's silly "oh and here are those other six Miracle Drops needed to recreate the Fountain of the Sky" (at least we find out next time they didn't destroy it, Miss Shitataare did). Oh and one nice thing I like is that Saki and Mai aren't strong enough to defeat Akudaikan yet and that somehow when he's hit with the power, it's sort of like it's being absorbed by him or just goes through him...which considering the later reveals at the end is a nice hint at his true nature. (though another thought: if Goyan created him then how in the world does he act and feel like a real leader with Goyan acting as the obedient stooge...even with what happens a bit later?)
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Today, 03:32 PM #3866
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

They may start off as kind of zombie like at first but I actually think the Kiryuu sisters and their arc is one of the best parts of Splash Star (though I agree that Kaoru is the more interesting one of the duo). In fact, since they wind up inheriting the powers in the finale anyway Id kind of liked it if theyd come back earlier and actually became Cure Bright and Cure Windy (using Moop and Foop to transform of course) as opposed to them just being upgrades for the main team.

Though I have to wonder, considering how the rest of Dark Fall is mostly demon like why do those two just look like ordinary humans (in fact, the first time I saw the series I assumed they actually were human children who had been brainwashed into serving Akudaikan)? Id say they were made for infiltration purposes but their creation likely predates the arrival of the Precure.

Like Ive said before, I think the biggest flaw in Goyans plans is that his subordinates had way too much free will, which kind of came back to bite him several times.