Old January 5th, 2016, 08:59 AM #161
> ⚡Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay
Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay

Kakuranger Episodes 1-10

Thought I might do this so I don't forget as much when watching a series.

Theme song... freaking awesome, catchy, one of my favorites.

Ending theme... uhhh... definitely 80's.

So, here we start a series with a typical Ninja/Samurai theme... the bad guys have been sealed away and somebody is going to open the door. We're introduced to Sasuke and Saizou... a couple of seemingly slackers that don't have much on life until they're lured to open the door of the Yokai... and they open it, (didn't see that coming at all, of course ). However now that the door is open, the Yokai have their powers back, Sasuke and Saizou find out that they're descendants of the Kakuranger and thus are recruited by Sandayuu and Tsuruhime, pull the swords, get Doron Changers and become Kakuranger.

At this point there's some pretty good comedy. Narrator/Announcer cracks me up. I really tried not to like the Yokai, as I felt, with much of the baddies of Dairanger, they was overly odd and creepy. Dairanger still creeps me out. I didn't really want that in another series... but they proved to actually be pretty funny. And the fact that they can take on a human form, and they've obtained some type of job to survive is a nice change of pace. Some things feel a little convenient for the sake of story, but what can you do?

So the Yokai from the previous episode returns, Seikei appears, Sandayuu gives the Kakuranger the "na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na Cat Van"! Sasuke goes to learn a new nippo skill... Tsuruhime and Saizou get Seikei to pull out the sword, he gets a Doron Changer, they fight, the Yokai grow big and Sasuke appears just in time to apply his newly acquired nippo... to call upon Red Saruder... boy, he learns that just in time... and boom, dispatches both Yokai. Announcer promptly disappears.

Now we get to an American Ninja to form the final member... Kinji... uh... I mean Jiraiya is that member... first it seems he's helping the Yokai, but in reality he wants the 4 Kakuranger scrolls. We learn how the Kakuranger are going to be paying for things by selling Cat-crepes out of a Cat-Van... I mean come on, the damn thing meows and purrs... and is really kinda funny. Jiraiya gets trapped about to be thrown into the volcano, gains his sword, Doron Changer, and breaks free. He's told to get the scrolls, does, the fight commences, and all manage to use their scrolls to grow big.

Okay, I definitely see the Kinji in Jiraiya... the way he dresses, the use of English... which is odd, as it's really good. While his voice is dubbed over, he mouths the words very well. It's just funny to hear the English in a mountain of Japanese. While I adore Sasuke... just because I know who he is... I think Jiraiya is my favorite of the Kakuranger. He does things a little differently and he's trying to learn Japanese, can't speak it in the beginning, the others can't understand him... the comedy is played well.

So now we're moving on to the individual focus episodes and I'll just run though them. The maze episode wasn't bad, however, I cracked up when Saizou makes it out, goes back to get the kid, realizes his powers won't work, runs back out, transforms and then goes back in. Saves the day but still loses his wallet... thanks kid.

Then it's Tsuruhime's turn with a dream sequence straight out of Cinderella... find out it isn't a dream but the two brothers that caused the maze incident. They marry off Tsuruhime, she tries to get it dissolved, yet they want to cook her eyes as punishment... ew... yet the Kakuranger win, of course.

Then Seikei, who's a food glutton anyway doesn't show up to practice, Tsuruhime finds him, he's... eating, they fight a Yokai who manages to get himself swallowed by Seikei who then goes on a severe food binge, he swells, and grows the size of the Muteki Shogun. The others keep him chained up to hopefully suppress his appetite to draw the Yokai out, it doesn't work until Tsuruhime turns herself into burger and Seikei, (who's in love with her), gains the willpower to not eat, the Yokai comes out, Seikei turns to normal, they fight, they win.

Next up is Bakeneko, who actually proves to be a challenge. This episode is where the show really starts kicking off. Also, as we see with this episode Sasuke and Tsuruhime are the responsible ones... and the others are usually the pawns. Thusly they get paralized by food... and the resulting effects are really funny, especially when Tsuruhime gives them tea and they're convulsing. However Bakeneko believes she's killed Sasuke, and they've captured Tsuruhime and going to boil her alive... the plan fails, she's saved, Sasuke appears telling how he went underground in the nick of time. Muteki Shogun dispatches Bakeneko and boom... we're done.

Jiraiya's focus is up, he loves TV and is watching the same Samurai show... as is a Yokai. They both reenact scenes, even reciting the same lines. However the Yokai wants to be on TV and bursts into a Ramen shop to do exactly that. Jiraiya and Saizou are there, Saizou gets kicked in the balls... Jiraiya fights the Yokai, get's screen time, and that throws the Yokai in a fit. He wants to be on TV and will do anything to do it. So eventually he starts blowing things up and destroying stuff... fights Jiraiya in 3 rounds of competition... gets beat, blown up and cue end credits.

Ugh... I hate doll episodes... especially when they have souls attached. The Yokai is even creepier. Sasuke gets the short end of the stick in a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors and has to dress up as a baby and makes this god awful cry... I literally yelled at the screen for him to shut up! He of course gets captured and holed up in the bad guy's lair... which is even creepier. Anyway, he tries to blow up Sasuke, but once again, in the nick of time he appears and is okay! Boy, these guys are good with the nick of time stuff... monster is beat, souls are returned, and announcer signs off.

So really, awesome series so far. There was a point that I wasn't sure, but then it kicked it into another gear. I'm looking forward the the rest!!
Taichi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 12:27 PM #162
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Taichi wrote: View Post

While his voice is dubbed over, he mouths the words very well.
Kane Kosugi is american, he wasn't dubbed. Well, technically he was because Toei didn't record audio on set and everything was done in ADR but he did it himself.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 12:34 PM #163
> ⚡Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay
Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay

Sweet!!!! I didn't know that... see, the things you learn!!

I frankly never do intensive research until I get into a series... so that's really cool to know!
Old January 5th, 2016, 02:40 PM #164
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Sandayuu gives the Kakuranger the "na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na Cat Van"!
Damn, why didn't I think of that?

Okay, I definitely see the Kinji in Jiraiya... the way he dresses, the use of English... which is odd, as it's really good.
If there's one thing to be sure of in Sentai, it's overplayed stereotypes. Usually comedic, sometimes offensive. A roller skating cowboy is just so ridiculous that it works (even literally).

Ugh... I hate doll episodes... especially when they have souls attached.
So, Fiveman, anyone?
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 02:57 PM #165
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Eh, I still think Nekomaru is more or less the Totoro Cat Bus with wheels instead of paws.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 03:39 PM #166
> ⚡Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay
Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay

timegold wrote: View Post

Damn, why didn't I think of that?
Now every time you see it, think of that...

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Eh, I still think Nekomaru is more or less the Totoro Cat Bus with wheels instead of paws.
Whoa, you're right! LOL!!

You know, the real reason I thought of that was cause of the stupid "Batman-ish" sound effects they put on the screen, I had it in my head, and then Cat-Van showed up and I couldn't help it. I hear the na na na na every time I see that bus. Lol!

However, I really could do without those stupid "shu shu shu" and "krrraakkk" effects... see MMPR Re-visioned did take something else from Sentai...
Old January 5th, 2016, 04:29 PM #167
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

I can't stand the "Batman" stuff in Kaku either. (only on ep. 4 of my watch BTW) I get trying to be novel and pop but this is probably as bad as the Five-kun dolls. Though on the other hand, the narrator is hilarious...
Old January 5th, 2016, 04:32 PM #168
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

The cartoon effects do mellow down and disappear over the season. I don't remember exactly when, but it does go along with the eventual tonal shift.
Old January 5th, 2016, 07:34 PM #169
> Faiz
In Glorious Technicolor

Faiz
In Glorious Technicolor

I don't really mind the little sound effects on the screen, but I actually really don't like the narrator at all. I do find some of the little tidbits about the monsters to be interesting, but other than that I'm not particularly fond.
Faiz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 07:39 PM #170
> TimeCrimson
Once upon a TimeCrimson..

TimeCrimson
Once upon a TimeCrimson..

All the Kakuranger talk in multiple different reviews and in the SS of the Past thread has got me going
TimeCrimson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 12:49 PM #171
> ⚡Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay
Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay

Lol...

I know, a lot of us are on the Kaku kick... that's okay, makes it more fun when we can all kinda see things at the same time instead of one person's thoughts.

Honestly, I didn't think I'd ever get to this point... you know... watching this much Sentai. But I really liked seeing you all watching and reviewing, so I decided to join in... it's a lot more fun, and at least things are engaging somewhat on the discussions.

I did get through 4 more episodes last night... the show is getting soooooo much better. Next is 15 with the Hanaranger... I'll get through 20 before posting again, but the show is definitely moving forward and getting better and better...

For now though... because of Kakuranger... I was "forced" to once again buy a Doron Changer... dammit. Has 3 of the 5 coins, but that's fine, it has Ninja Red... that's all I care about.

Old January 6th, 2016, 01:07 PM #172
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Eh, it just turned out that way on my schedule so its just coordinated in a way that has a lot of us doing this. I sort of knew near the end of '14 that I just didn't care anymore to specifically organize my watches and just decided to watch all the remaining Sentai I hadn't seen straight on through (well OK, I did do Turboranger first since I had wanted to do that one for a bit)...and it just happened that Kakuranger was now. I know we used to have more organized Sentai watches but that fell by the wayside, so its just every ninja for themselves I suppose.
Old January 6th, 2016, 04:00 PM #173
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

Watching Goseiger through for the second time. Easily the most underrated Sentai in the history of life. I have a feeling it's going to be even better on second viewing, going in knowing the game changing twist from the start. Puts a lot of things in a new light.
JaimeZeo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 09:18 PM #174
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

Goseiger ep 13

A decent episode focus on Eri as well as some fallout with Warstar over Dereptor's death. We introduced to the Mystic Brothers this episode too &......Well I can't remember on whether or not people hated this mecha but I find it irritating. It's literally the only Auxiliary mech in the Goseiger's arsonal that isn't a headder & it bugs the crap out of me.
DJ1107 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 03:45 AM #175
> Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

*sigh* Look what you people got me back on to. Not that I'm complaining.
Merlin is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 10:24 AM #176
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Merlin wrote: View Post

*sigh* Look what you people got me back on to. Not that I'm complaining.
Kakuranger? The show about the heavenly triad... oh, you mean the other topic.
Old January 7th, 2016, 10:14 PM #177
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

Goseiger ep 14-16

Well......This is different. Our main villain group met their end this early & we apparently have a new one on the way. I mean I know Super Sentai have done Different villains groups in the same show before (Jetman to an extent, Gingaman & Boukenger), but Goseiger seems to do it differently in that they aren't co-existing like those ones. Still this was a pretty good 3 parter & a nice end to the Warstar stuff.
DJ1107 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 03:55 AM #178
> Hung Lo
Banned

Hung Lo
Banned

Goseiger is definitely under appreciated, the series was good.
Hung Lo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 09:18 PM #179
> The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen

The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen

And now, time for some more Battle Fever J! Episodes 5 through 8! On top of that, I also went back, corrected spelling errors, and made the text look nicer and neater.

https://berndadeltasubs.wordpress.co...cial-surprise/

Also, isn't this an amazing time for Sentai subs? Most series have been subbed, GUIS has come back, I'm doing this, TimeCrimson's doing Turboranger, Millionfold's doing Dynaman, and the current Sentai are getting quick translations via TV Nihon and Overtime, as well as various other groups.

Isn't it beautiful?
The Golden Witch is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 09:31 PM #180
> GokaiKnight
奇跡を信じる者

GokaiKnight
奇跡を信じる者

We're certainly in a better place than we were ten years ago.
GokaiKnight is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
a 40 year toy commercial, debating over spandex, destroyallchildren, liveman why have you?, nokidsallowed, thebestsentaithread, theoptimalsentaithread, xistheobjectlygoodsentai