Home Menu

Menu

Old January 3rd, 2016, 07:53 AM #141
> The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen

The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen

Oh yeah, it's great Mason just gets executed like that. One of the best moments in the endgame.
The Golden Witch is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 09:05 AM #142
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Never get between an obsessive ancient robot and his mecha partner...then again you could say that about Monster and Zyuoh more than Silva and Balzion, huh?
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 09:19 AM #143
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Zyuoh
I KNEW the name of the new Sentai was familiar! I forgot about those two, one of my favourite pairs of villains in the franchise.
JaimeZeo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 09:47 AM #144
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

JaimeZeo wrote: View Post

I KNEW the name of the new Sentai was familiar! I forgot about those two, one of my favourite pairs of villains in the franchise.
Yeah, they're certainly one of early Sentai's better couples, between the antics and the chemistry.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 04:10 PM #145
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

Goseiger ep 10

So why is Hyde the only Seaick guy? Well this episode finally explains that. Turns out he did have a partner named Magis who was Goseigreen (Also ironically he was played by Yousuke Itou who played another Green ranger from a Sentai I decided not to watch.) & ended up dead while protecting Hyde from a monster. From what I understand Goseigreen is sadly one of those fabled one-shot rangers everyone obsesses over though I do kinda get Goseigreen's obsession due to not getting a full look at his design by that point. Meanwhile on the villain side Bladerun continues to antagonize Dereptor.
DJ1107 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 04:46 PM #146
> TimeCrimson
Once upon a TimeCrimson..

TimeCrimson

I got to the "sex" scene in Abaranger.

That was strange.
TimeCrimson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 06:22 PM #147
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

The sad thing about GoseiGreen is he barely appeared in the episode. He was mostly there for brief backstory and to connect Hyde to the MotW (who strangely was prior to a few things as we find out later). Well without it the episode would be about some idiot aquarium guy with a squeaky voice...so yeah, I rather have Sen-chan the Gosei Angel be the focus of the episode discussion.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 08:41 PM #148
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

Goseiger ep 11

A decent Moune focus episode but we do get some plot progression in that Mohth Drekk is finally making his presence known to the Angels & Datas has channelled his inner Kabutack/Robotack & can become Hyper Datas.

Ep 12

This episode see's the death of Dareptor along with the introduction of Hyper Gosei Great. A lot of people seem to not like this form but honestly.....I kinda like it. I mean yeah it has 15 animal heads jutting out of it but the thing still looks imposing.
DJ1107 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 06:07 AM #149
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Considering the Headders are the totems of the Goseiger, having them all work together in one huge mass is a cool concept for the major mecha at this phase. It isn't the "biggest gun" since we haven't gotten to the sixth or second mecha yet, but for this phase and with what the Goseiger have available to them at this point, it works well for them conceptually.
Old January 4th, 2016, 09:02 AM #150
> ⚡Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay
Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay

MerCurry wrote: View Post

Exactly. Writers like Kobayashi have a great talent for making the gimmicks well integrated into the plot seamlessly without making it a full on commercial. Hell, even fricking iPhones in one case!

Or, that's how I feel. My nitpick of "current" Sentai is more on "what works" v.s. "what can we do". It kinda saddens me when past Sentai tried to be creative as possible v.s. have the creativity fizzle after five episodes. But, not to say "current" Sentai is inferior--hell, shun me if I ever say that--
And I think that's my thoughts too, they weren't just as "thought" out. I don't consider current Sentai inferior... I just feel they've lost a little of what made them special... if that makes sense. But of course, this is just a phase too, and it's ever changing, so we'll see what happens.

So, I've had some time to soak on Gingaman. My reviews are just going to be an overall. First, I hate reviewing things, cause I usually miss something, or I don't extrapolate enough. But I also don't want to rehash what everyone else has done, nor do I want to bore people.

GINGAMAN REVIEW:

Well, first off, seeing this in full was definitely eye opening... and what a fantastic series! Characters were great, on both sides... and everyone grew as characters. Every... single... one. Hell, even Mokk grew... well, literally and figuratively as did Saya... quite literally in one episode. I went into this not liking Yuuta and Hikaru, and I wish I could say that I disliked them all the way through... but dang it, it was hard not to when they started growing. Ryouma grew as a leader and gained more confidence, Gouki grew out of being shy but learned that his caring nature is a part of who it is... and he embraced it instead of shying from it. Hayate is a hard one, he's so level-headed that it's almost too much... and his episode with Haruhiko was one of the best episodes ever. Saya learned how to stand on her own, and took charge a few times. Hikaru was this annoying and "young" type, but although he retained that, he really showed that he deeply cared for things and fought hard to protect them. Hyuuga... well... was Hyuuga. It broke my heart when he gave up Earth Power to forge the Axe... and to see everything he had to give up... including his friends and brother. Especially when Ryouma picked up the Axe and Zahab ran him through with the Seijuu-ken... but he always remained in control of his emotions even when they should have gotten the best of him. He was a warrior, and he played a warrior very well. Even Mokk grew, and I'll admit, I cried like a baby when he died... he knew he couldn't help much, but dang it if he didn't try to give it his all.

The antics were good and not over done, the enemies were great and I loved how each "boss" had a grouping of monsters. That kinda changed up the playing field a bit. From Budo's Ninja style monsters to Iries' Magic style, you didn't feel that you were always dealing with the same MOTD.

But with all the good, there was some bleh things:

- I don't need to be reminded every, damn, episode on how Balban Extract works and how it lessens the life span... my god.
- I also don't need to be reminded on a constant basis what the Gingaman are.
- Horses with helmets... thank god they weren't used very much.
- I don't feel we got enough of the build up for Shelinda and Hayate... maybe I just don't remember the scenario very well, but it seemed a bit forced and then fizzled out right at the end. I loved the deception at the end, but I just didn't feel much for her like I did Bucrates.
- I didn't like the Ryouma and Hyuuga banter after Hyuuga came back to life and Ryouma battled with whether giving the Seijuu-ken back. I think LG played it better honestly. Ryouma wanted to keep the sword becasue he felt he had earned it with the battles and wanted to continue. Leo on the other hand KNEW Mike pulled it and it wasn't his. Mike's line, "Maybe it was my destiny to pull it from the stone to give to you.", sill rings in my head. Even to the fact of Leo making that final strike and Mike saying, "... there's no other Red Ranger.", gives more of how much Mike believes in Leo. Both shows display it differently, and that may be the Japan versus American mindset... I just think LG did it slightly better.

I'm sure there's more, just can't remember right now.

However, how does it compare to Lost Galaxy? Wow, I feel both series are 50/50. Why? They both utilize the scenarios perfectly yet expand and do them in totally different ways. Lost Galaxy added the full space exploration, but yet Ginga kept the "galaxy" theme as well, but were stuck on Earth, however, things meshed very well. How LG used the characters later and how they implemented some of Ginga worked well. The only thing is, LG would inch ahead just a bit for "Journey's End"... still the best finale and usually our finales are much better than Japan's. Probably has to do with how our finales are more of an over arching story and take more episodes as opposed to usually a single episode for Sentai.

So I've started Kakuranger and GoGoV at the same time. Kaku is freaking fantastic! And that theme song... definitely hands down the best Sentai theme song. I've always been a fan of it, but seeing it with the credits and whatnot, man, I've gone back and watched the opening like 50 times already. However, I feel it started a little too convenient. Every happened for the sake of it happening. While that's not a bad thing, I like shows that build it up a tad more. But hey, I love it so far and I think will be one of my top Sentais.

GoGoV on the other hand... yep, not feeling it. Kinda the same thing I felt with Lightspeed Rescue... and I thought it was just LR... but it's not. Something after coming off Ginga and LG and going into both GoGoV and LR the feeling is EXACTLY the same... it bores me to death. However, I'm going to get through it this time. One thing I didn't know, they're all siblings. Other than this and Magiranger are there any other shows were the whole group are siblings?

I think I'll keep watching how I am... a couple of Kaku and a couple of GoGoV... that way I won't get bogged down, plus I can alternate my interests. This way I can move to Ohranger and Gaoranger... cause I know my brain will check out with Gao.
Taichi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 09:27 AM #151
> TimeCrimson

TimeCrimson

Great review Taichi. I actually didn't really like Hayate because I found him kind bland compared to the rest. I also not going to lie, liked Mokk.

I haven't seen GoGoV, but from clips some of the action scenes are incredible, so maybe you should go on with it. I may be biased because LR is one of my all time favorites, but try it.
TimeCrimson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 09:43 AM #152
> ⚡Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay
Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay

Thanks!!

Don't get me wrong... I'm 5 episodes into Kaku and GoGoV. Both are suffering from that odd 10 episode thing where you have to introduce everything and everyone, sometimes they work really well and sometimes they're a mess... Kaku is kind of a mess (not bad), and GoGoV is just kinda bland.

I know that I just have to trudge through the basic stuff first to get to the meat, that's why I'm not really critical of a show until it gets it's stuff going.

I will say, both shows have excellent Mecha. GoGoV what I love about the mecha is how mechanical it is... and how they work together to form the Victory Robo. The model works in GoGoV is spot on, and one of the things that make the show strong. I just don't like any of the characters yet, except surprisingly, the father. And don't get me started on Grand Liner/Supertrain Megazord... that thing will always be the bomb, no matter if the show is good or not.

And yeah, Hayate was the "weakest" of the characters on development, but his actor played the part really well, and sometimes the facial expressions were just hilarious. If I had to rank the Gingaman though... yeah, he'd be at the bottom of the list.

Oh yeah, and I finished my custom wrist strap for the Ginga Brace!

Last edited by Taichi; January 4th, 2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old January 4th, 2016, 10:25 AM #153
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

All the stuff between Ryouma and Hyuuga was really well handled in developing the brotherly relationship. They both grew off of each other, neatly dividing the series into four quarters, with recurring themes of like how Ryouma learned to carry on independently of his brother. That especially rung true in the aforementioned scene with the Knight Axe.

GoGoV is kind of different with its handling of siblings. As they are the team, they have to stick together in several situations, life-or-death. There are many moments where that inter-reliance is strong, coupled with their dedication.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 11:05 AM #154
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

Taichi wrote: View Post

- I don't need to be reminded every, damn, episode on how Balban Extract works and how it lessens the life span... my god.
But how else will you know it's only used as a last resort?
JaimeZeo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 11:06 AM #155
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

Jasmine is an ESPer.
HowlingSnail is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 11:11 AM #156
> Kaigan
Banned

Kaigan
Banned

HowlingSnail wrote: View Post

Jasmine is an ESPer.
The DekaMetal is bla bla bla bla.
Kaigan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 11:26 AM #157
> ⚡Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay
Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay

Oh god, that one's more annoying.

Haha!

Considering how many Sentai shows came before, I'm sure most are already aware of the situation...

That's just a minor nitpick due to the fact that I watched so many episode in a short time. If if was a weekly thing, then yeah, it's not that bad. But geez... watch 5 episodes in order and you start reciting the damn line as you know it's going to say it.
Old January 4th, 2016, 11:28 AM #158
> Faiz
In Glorious Technicolor

Faiz
In Glorious Technicolor

Jasmine is an ESPer.
Jasmine wa ESPer de aru??
Faiz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 12:40 AM #159
> Derpy.
Mighty Opioids

Derpy.
Mighty Opioids

Jasmine is an ESPer.
Umeko is not. Fitting that she's our viewpoint for the 10 Years After special.

This may be going into off-topic territory, but has there been studies of how different cultural perceptions results in toned down versions of adapted anime and Japanese shows like Super Sentai (as Power Rangers)? I've seen no blood, no (human) deaths and no bullets for PR but I'd like to find out a technical/academic explanation.
Derpy. is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 07:40 AM #160
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Regarding Gosei Green, I always thought it would have been great if Bladerun had been revealed as Magis at the end, they didn't even need to change the story much, just a few details. he's still going through all his forms in reverse order but instead of transforming into a new rubber suit he pulls out a Tensouder, drops the illusion and we see a transformed Gosei Green, that would have been a kickass cliffhanger leading into the finale.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
a 40 year toy commercial, debating over spandex, destroyallchildren, liveman why have you?, nokidsallowed, thebestsentaithread, theoptimalsentaithread, xistheobjectlygoodsentai