Home Menu

Menu

Old January 28th, 2016, 08:40 PM #281
> The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

The 2nd Evil

I have also started watching OhRanger.

I understand the reasons why it happened, but after 8 episodes of fairly heavy stories the sudden 180 in episode 9 was rather disheartening.
The 2nd Evil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 09:06 PM #282
> Champ
Lupin Red!

Champ
Lupin Red!

About Ohranger, i copied and my paste of my review from rangercrew. Personally, this show was kinda of slow and the problem is that the Rangers barely got their characters development. There were few good episode with a lot of action and a lot of fight with explosions.

Overall, Ohranger is an OKAY sentai series, not the best season ever. I personally prefer Power Rangers Zeo better.
Champ is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 09:37 PM #283
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Kayweather wrote: View Post

(sorry it's kind of long, I ended up with a lot of Opinions)
There's definitely no need to apologize here. It's no rant or ramble, and it's thought-provoking.

The story totally wasted Riki. He’s barely even in the show after his introduction, except as an occasional Deus Ex Machina. I know some sixth rangers have a bad habit of being spotlight hogs, but this was the opposite extreme. There was literally a point in the show where I forgot Riki existed. He and Dorin should have been super plot relevant, since they’re the living link to the “ancient civilizations” that are supposedly central to the show’s identity. But they really weren’t. I could tell they tried a little in the finale, but by then it was too late.
The lack of appearances is kind of a product of the era (and who knows, scheduling with child actors maybe); the lack of their story is less excusable. Considering the series motif and the backgrounds of Riki and Dorin, there should've been a lot more to them, especially before the final arc.

We also got literally no character development for the heroes. The Rangers start off as competent soldiers with a professional but friendly relationship, and they end the show as just that. Riki starts off as a dedicated boy soldier loyal to Dorin, and ends the show as just that. Dorin starts as an innocent cinnamon roll and has an entire episode about how she’s not allowed to become anything else. The chief never has to change his leadership style or do anything different at all. They’re all static. None of the rangers got subplots the way the Kakurangers or Dairangers did, not even Goro or Riki, which was shocking. Their focus episodes were all fine, but they never moved the characters forward.
A lack of progression is sort of a 70's/80's Sentai thing to do, and it can work if the show can make the characters interesting otherwise. It's problematic, though, since we find out little about these characters outside of work: things that can flesh them out, give them background, make them feel human. Ending up as generic military officers imbued with super-powers isn't much to go on, and if those shopping trips are the most memorable civilian thing, then these characters can end up bland.

-----

I never got around to doing an Ohranger retrospective (not that I do those often), though I'll concur that it could be a lot better. It's still not terrible. But I don't care about the rumors of near-cancellation, nor do I care that it's historically the most profitable Sentai (though some will say that's the only metric that matters, yet those people never seem to praise Ohranger). No, Ohranger's just Ohranger, an okay show that suffered from its change in direction (and at times, lack of direction), a show that didn't live up to its potential.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 10:17 PM #284
> Kayweather
Just a swarm of bees

Kayweather
Just a swarm of bees

timegold wrote: View Post

It's problematic, though, since we find out little about these characters outside of work: things that can flesh them out, give them background, make them feel human. Ending up as generic military officers imbued with super-powers isn't much to go on, and if those shopping trips are the most memorable civilian thing, then these characters can end up bland.
I agree. That's why I think I ended up liking Momo the most this season. Her focus episodes gave her a little history and rounded out her civilian side a bit more than some of the others. In the nightmare school one we learn a little about her school life, including a tragedy that probably informed her decision to go into the military/fight to protect people. In the "Nostalgia" one we also see a little of her hometown/civilian stomping grounds, and find out she likes old/historic things, the elderly, and children. That just seemed to add some dimension to her and make her fight to defend people mean a little bit more.

Shouhei's favorite restaurant and his boxing helped him a little too, and I would have liked a little more follow-up on the boxing, particularly since the show had a boxing robot as a centerpiece.

...I can't remember any of the others having hobbies, though. That's just a shame.

On another note, I started Carranger and I can't help but laugh that we went from a show with vaguely environmental overtones straight to a love letter to gasoline.
Kayweather is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 10:29 PM #285
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

To stick with the OhRanger theme, this was Sugimura's fourth and final Series as head writer. Was that always the plan, or did he decide to leave during production of OhRanger?

ETA: Just finished OhRanger 15, the episode with Bara-Revenger. Toshiki Inoue may commonly fall into soap opera tropes in his series, making him the but of several jokes (one or two I may have contributed to) but damn if he can't deliver a heart wrenching episode when it matters.

This episode was the first to really recapture Baccshund as he was in the first 8 episodes -- a threat.

Last edited by The 2nd Evil; January 28th, 2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:00 AM #286
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

The reason Momo is the most popular Ohranger is because, particularly around the mid-point, every episode is about her. There's a stretch where it felt like about five episodes in a row where Momo focused, and even when they weren't they seemed to feature her more than the others. I'm not necessarily complaining because I like Momo (and Ohranger as a whole), but Juri was really the most interesting character at the start, and she just ends up falling to the wayside by that point.

Not as much as Shouhei, though. And after episode 30, you'd be excused for forgetting that Riki is even in the show.
JaimeZeo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:56 AM #287
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

Maskman ep 20-22

Our first big game changer this season. Anagmas devised a plan to try & take Great Five out of the equation (which to be honest was a horrible design flaw on the Part of the Captain but whatever) & it works. With Great Five at the moment gone The Captain attempts to find The Galaxy Robo, a machine designed by a college of his who was tragically killed during a freak thunderstorm while testing out the Robo & apparently has feelings. In reality Galaxy Robo can actually channel Aura Power & after some meditation The Maskmen were able to perfectly use Galaxy Robo & retrieve Great Five from Tube. The Galaxy Robo itself is honestly pretty damn cool. It has an appeasable color scheme, it's able to quick transform, has an impressive arsenal & because it can syphon Aura Power it can do some impressive damage. Not bad.
DJ1107 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 06:05 AM #288
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Not up to Ohranger yet (its after Kaku on my watch list), but from what I heard one of the big reasons for the Momo focus has to do with her being an MTV personality of all things. (she actually was on Japan's MTV just before she got the role as OhPink) That and her ego more or less was a bit too big for this show...in fact, I think it was partially satirized in the Ohranger tribute in Gokaiger from what I heard.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 06:24 AM #289
> Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

Yep it was. I think that was her apology to the crew, and everyone had a laugh about it.

The biggest diva move I remember was in the Car vs. where the four of them were like "But we can't transform, there's only four of us, Momo's not here!" But they do anyway. Five seconds later Momo runs on screen, salutes and announces herself, and then transforms by herself. It's silly. Absolutely no purpose except to make her look flashy.
Merlin is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:30 PM #290
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

That literally explains everything. She's still great and all, but damn, when people complain about Red-centric series I don't think they'd survive Ohranger.
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:39 PM #291
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

JaimeZeo wrote: View Post

That literally explains everything. She's still great and all, but damn, when people complain about Red-centric series I don't think they'd survive Ohranger.
-writes Ohranger down on my list of Sentai's to watch after Zyuranger & Kyoryuger (both of which are after Maskman)-
DJ1107 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:52 PM #292
> TimeCrimson
Once upon a TimeCrimson..

TimeCrimson
Once upon a TimeCrimson..

My understanding of the Momou situation is that her actress was a really popular idol and actress at the time in Japan, and she had a big diva-like ego due to that, to the point where she even got top billing in Oh vs Kaku and had a separate entrance in Car vs Oh(Which is a great VS teamup btw) and later wanted to do nothing with the series, yet like 12 years after(I think Go-Onger vs Gekiranger, my memory's a little foggy) she randomly came back and helped promote it, in her UAOH costume and even came back for the Ohranger tribute in Gokaoger and they kinda made Momou like a diva in that too as a joke I think, but I'm glad they did, that Ohranger two parter's one of my favorite episodes in Sentai, that was awesome.

I actually am really interested in Ohranger, mainly because it helped make one of my all time favorite PR seasons, and want to see the evolution of the story after the attacks and see how it is, but it's not planned for now, as of right now I may take a break after Deka or do Magi-Gosei, then go back and do Gorenger-JAKQ(might as well test out how well I can understand Japanese lol.)
TimeCrimson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 02:32 PM #293
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Ironically though, I think despite getting the lion's share of the toys OhRed proably has the least amount of focus episodes out of all of them (including Riki).
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 04:06 PM #294
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

I was just talking about that exact topic with my friend, he's quite possibly the Red Ranger with the least focus on him in the entire franchise. Not necessarily in the first half of the show or so, but after that he gets next to nothing.

Ohranger, for the most part, is all about the actions scenes. I tend not to care as much about them as I do things like characters and story, but it's one thing Ohranger does exceptionally well. Some of the long tracking shots featuring all of them fighting are masterfully done, and features arguably the best camerawork in Sentai history. If anyone's into that sort of thing and hasn't seen Ohranger, I'd recommend checking it out.

Another nice touch Ohranger had, that like most things in the series they really didn't elaborate upon enough, was the Rangers' individual fighting styles. The end credits might seem quite random at first, but the specific martial arts/techniques they use there are what they exclusively use in the show. Other than Shouhei teaching Goro how to box in one episode, I feel like they didn't capitalise on this anywhere near as much as they could have done. As it is, it's just a nice, subtle thing that adds to the action sequences.
Old January 29th, 2016, 06:28 PM #295
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Another nice touch Ohranger had, that like most things in the series they really didn't elaborate upon enough, was the Rangers' individual fighting styles. The end credits might seem quite random at first, but the specific martial arts/techniques they use there are what they exclusively use in the show. Other than Shouhei teaching Goro how to box in one episode, I feel like they didn't capitalise on this anywhere near as much as they could have done. As it is, it's just a nice, subtle thing that adds to the action sequences.
At the very least, it's featured in some of their special attacks, like Oh Pink's Qi shot. It would've been nice to see more of that, though. (To Maskman's credit, that's something that it featured fairly well.)
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 06:30 PM #296
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

I was just talking about that exact topic with my friend, he's quite possibly the Red Ranger with the least focus on him in the entire franchise.
So, he's the Troy of Sentai?
Old January 29th, 2016, 06:54 PM #297
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

The 2nd Evil wrote: View Post

So, he's the Troy of Sentai?
Basically, though Goro is much more likable. Thing is, there isn't really much too him, he's team leader and that's pretty much it for his character. He did come back along with Momo for the Gokaiger tribute episodes though so that's something at least. As has been mentioned, one of the main problems with Ohranger is that, kind of like Megaforce, none of the characters really develop, they're basically all exactly the same by the end as they were in the beginning. Hell, all the character development in the series actually comes on the villians side of things as they slowly start displaying all the traits they claimed at the beginning to despise in humans as the series goes on. So kind of like Bandora in Zyuranger, the Baranoia are actually more interesting than the Ohrangers themselves.

Last edited by Akiba Black; January 29th, 2016 at 06:59 PM.
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 09:18 PM #298
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

At the very least, it's featured in some of their special attacks, like Oh Pink's Qi shot. It would've been nice to see more of that, though. (To Maskman's credit, that's something that it featured fairly well.)
Admittedly I think one of the best seasons to show off individual martial arts is Denziman. The five of them tend to have their own abilities and usually they are well demonstrated: DenziRed having karate and boxing, DenziBlue's acrobatics being a circus performer (and animal lover), DenzYellow's wrestling, DenziGreen's kicking abilities, and DenziPink's akido. Of course...when people think "DenziPunch", they sadly always tend to just use "The DenziRed version". (forgetting Pink uses open hands and Yellow just clutches both together like a hammer)
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 11:48 PM #299
> Kayweather
Just a swarm of bees

Kayweather
Just a swarm of bees

Ohranger, for the most part, is all about the actions scenes. I tend not to care as much about them as I do things like characters and story, but it's one thing Ohranger does exceptionally well. Some of the long tracking shots featuring all of them fighting are masterfully done, and features arguably the best camerawork in Sentai history. If anyone's into that sort of thing and hasn't seen Ohranger, I'd recommend checking it out.
Oh yeah, I definitely agree with all of this. I noticed some really clever shots throughout the show, and I don't usually notice the camerawork in shows like this.

Last edited by Kayweather; January 30th, 2016 at 11:52 AM.
Kayweather is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 02:57 AM #300
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

Yeah, to be fair, they noticeably incorporate it into their movements and attacks as well. You'll always notice OhPink's distinctive Chinese martial arts moves in battle; same with OhGreen boxing, OhRed's karate, OhBlue's gymnastics and I'd like to say OhYellow's tae kwon do, but hers is the only one that really escaped me. Even in the roll call poses and general fighting stances, they all have trademark styles, and I don't think it's ever been done that well since (I'd say ever, but I've not seen Denjiman yet to judge).

Tags
a 40 year toy commercial, debating over spandex, destroyallchildren, liveman why have you?, nokidsallowed, thebestsentaithread, theoptimalsentaithread, xistheobjectlygoodsentai