Home Menu

Menu

Old January 24th, 2016, 05:37 AM #261
> Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

DJ1107 wrote: View Post

Ok in fairness to that line: I just took it as Baraba being that big muscle-headed douchebag barbarian he is ( The guy after has a sword that only he can lift), & that his weak comment was more guided towards Ingam trying to regain his honor rather than for the glory of the empire.
I was more just joking considering my guess is that more people know about Igam's true nature and of course his weakness could be seen in that sort of way and the fact that he was overexerting himself due to not being able to withstand compared to Takeru.
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:51 AM #262
> TimeCrimson
Once upon a TimeCrimson..

TimeCrimson

So I decided to check out the first episode of Flashman out of pure curiosity. Ironically it's actually one of the first sentai episodes I saw, like years ago(2008) I found this unaccurate Spanish sub(not Nekorider) on Youtube(I think?) and just checked it out, but couldn't understand it properly(The opening is still on Youtube, and in one random line they just put Comando Estelar when it didn't even say Choushinsei).

I actually really liked it. Compared to the other two 80's sentai I've seen(Changeman and Turboranger) this first episode was the best, because even if it did throw a lot at you, you still got some idea at what the Flashmen are and some other ideas. I loved the Planet scenes and the miniature effects of the vehicles and other things, that's one thing that older sentai have an advantage over newer ones.

I'm probably not going to watch the whole series now due to wanting to give GUIS time to get further, and even if there are good Spanish ones out there, I have other series I want to watch soon, and want to finish Changeman first. But it's definitely on my list, because I can tell it's going to be good.

Last edited by TimeCrimson; January 24th, 2016 at 12:06 PM.
TimeCrimson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:11 PM #263
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

Flashman is my most wanted of the older ones I've not seen so far, so I can't wait to get stuck in once there's a fair few more episodes out there. It just looks like it takes all the best elements of the 80s Sentai I've seen that I liked, and rolled it up into one series.
JaimeZeo is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:52 PM #264
> Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

Flashman is highly recommended by me if you can see it. While not my favorite of the "pre-Zyu" series (it is high though), everything it does do well it does excellently, from a great set of powers to amazing drama, intriguing villains and a heart-breaking end-game.
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:17 PM #265
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

Maskman ep 12

& thus after beating 3 other shinobis Haruka was given the title Last Ninja. This was a pretty awesome episode & before you ask: no I'm not watching Kakuranger after this season....Or any of the ninja seasons after what I've been through in 2015.

Maskman ep 13

Meh Kenta focus episode.

Maskman ep 14

A pretty good Akira focus episode & more expansion on Tube actually having people who hate Zeba's tyrannical rule.
DJ1107 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:52 PM #266
> The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen

The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen

Episode 14 really makes Maskman even weirder by showing that even the subjects really don't want to be ruled by Zeba. It's really cool depth; we don't usually get into the villain's hierarchy very much.
The Golden Witch is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 07:24 PM #267
> Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

I get you on avoiding ninjas. Admittedly I'd say the same about Maskman making me want to avoid ninjas...but then again you'll see why with what happens to Haruka.

I actually like 13; but I'm a Kenta fan.

And 14...remember that episode, that's all I'm saying. (though on plot ends, considering that there are a lot of people that aren't fans of Zeba, its obvious there are some who want to bring about rebellion and take him and Tube down even before they got involved)
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:12 PM #268
> TimeCrimson

TimeCrimson

I have to say this, but Happy Birthday to Shotaro Ishinomori.

His contributions to Tokusatsu and Children's Television in general should not be forgotten, and his core concepts still affect millions of children to this day in the US, Japan and all across the world, and gives something special that makes us fans love it.

If he didn't exist, I probably wouldn't be as guided and try to be as kind as I normally do, because his concepts gave me and many other kids heroes and ones of high responsibility and moral good to look up to, I probably wouldn't be a person with good morals.

Thank you Shotaro Ishinomori.
TimeCrimson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 04:42 AM #269
> clark1951
Devotee of Megaforce Pink

clark1951
Devotee of Megaforce Pink

One thing that has interested me is how do they decide how many episodes each season will run for? They all don't run for the same number so how do they decide? For example:

- Gokaiger: 51 episodes
- Go-Busters: 50 episodes
- Ninninger: 47 episodes

Now if Zyuohger runs for, say 48 episodes, that'll mean the Blu-ray will have 8 discs of 6 episodes each. That is if Toei does the Blu-ray the same way as Ninninger.
clark1951 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 05:39 AM #270
> AshiusX
Inoue-ist

AshiusX
Inoue-ist

timecrimson wrote: View Post

I have to say this, but Happy Birthday to Shotaro Ishinomori.

His contributions to Tokusatsu and Children's Television in general should not be forgotten, and his core concepts still affect millions of children to this day in the US, Japan and all across the world, and gives something special that makes us fans love it.

If he didn't exist, I probably wouldn't be as guided and try to be as kind as I normally do, because his concepts gave me and many other kids heroes and ones of high responsibility and moral good to look up to, I probably wouldn't be a person with good morals.

Thank you Shotaro Ishinomori.
Great of you to notice.

Happy Birthday, Shotaro Ishinomori!
It should be noted that he has the world record for the most comics ever published by a single author. So there is no denying he is a talented person.
AshiusX is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 10:50 PM #271
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

Maskman ep 15

So not only is Zeba a tyrant but he's also a dick when it came to Igam & Ial's mothers flowers....Still pretty good Momoko focus episode.

Ep 16

A pretty good Kenta focus episode.

Ep 17

Dumb episode

Ep 18

An enjoyable Haruka episode. She's honestly shaping up to be my favorite of the team.

Ep 19

After 1 too many failures from Baraba & Igam Zeba has decided to let his elder Anagmus out into the field with his dark magic in order to combat the Maskmen better.

Hikari Sentai Maskman: The Movie

Man even the 80's movies focus on the Red helping out a girl. This was certainly a rushed film but what do you expect from a 20 minute flick sandwiched with a Metalder movie, A Saint Seiya movie, & A Dragonball movie. Much of the plot focus on The Maskmen helping out another inhabitant of Tube escape Zeba's tyranny this one just happens to be a mermaid of all things. Very standard but something that bugged the piss out of me was that certain stock footage was zoomed in to fit the aspect ratio of a theater screen & it's jarring.

Last edited by DJ1107; January 26th, 2016 at 10:50 PM.
DJ1107 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 07:28 AM #272
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

clark1951 wrote: View Post

One thing that has interested me is how do they decide how many episodes each season will run for? They all don't run for the same number so how do they decide?
The vast majority of sentais runs 52 weeks, the episode counts change because of the number of preemptions, so they're not actively deciding how many episodes a season gets, it's mostly happening by chance.
In recent years I think only Gokaiger got a planned extension and got an extra week at the end and ToQger was extended by circumstances, they had an unplanned preemption (I forgot why) close to the end so Ninninger was pushed back a week.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 08:54 AM #273
> Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

I hated Maskman 18: Haruka just obsessed too much over a doll of all things, to the point she was willing to quit the team over it. She was being too much of a brat just because of something she couldn't have.

I sort of wish they used Anagumas beyond this opening arc with him, but I do like that he sort of brings Baraba and Igam in line with seniority.
Old January 27th, 2016, 08:57 AM #274
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

Pepper wrote: View Post

The vast majority of sentais runs 52 weeks, the episode counts change because of the number of preemptions, so they're not actively deciding how many episodes a season gets, it's mostly happening by chance.
In recent years I think only Gokaiger got a planned extension and got an extra week at the end and ToQger was extended by circumstances, they had an unplanned preemption (I forgot why) close to the end so Ninninger was pushed back a week.
Correct. ToQGer got pre-empted because of news coverage of ISIS killing a Japanese reported, which messed up the timetabling quite a bit (40th anniversary episode aired a week late, as did Ninninger vs Drive, making it fall in the middle of a Drive two-parter).
HowlingSnail is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 11:31 PM #275
> Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Episode 37 of GoGoV is out from IS!
Miraculous Bikkun is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 11:37 PM #276
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

B-kun wrote: View Post

Ah, the misplaced episode of Kamen Rider 555.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 11:48 PM #277
> GokaiKnight
奇跡を信じる者

GokaiKnight
奇跡を信じる者

timegold wrote: View Post

Ah, the misplaced episode of Kamen Rider 555.
I dunno. The misunderstanding was actually warranted considering magical out-of-body-experience switching happens.
GokaiKnight is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 06:09 AM #278
> Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

Ah yes, the start of the Infinity Chain arc. Also known as: Matoi becomes a girl and the monster becomes a Ranger by way of a certain franchise that would be back in a few months time.
Old January 28th, 2016, 10:21 AM #279
> Champ
Lupin Red!

Champ
Lupin Red!

That was really good! My favorite part of this episode:

and Pierre showed how to transform pose....

That was funny.

Thanks for episode 37, B-kun. Looking forward to the next episode.
Champ is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 05:58 PM #280
> Kayweather
Just a swarm of bees

Kayweather
Just a swarm of bees

I've been away from RB for a while working on stuff, but in the meantime I finished Ohranger and now I can feel my need for SS discussion sucking me back in. So, Ohranger thoughts cross-posted from my Tumblr (sorry it's kind of long, I ended up with a lot of Opinions).

This one's not super spoilery because there wasn't a lot to spoil. I'll tag the couple of iffy spots just in case, though.

All around, I can say Ohranger just didn’t work for me like other seasons have. Which is kind of weird! It’s not really a bad season, and there wasn’t much I hated. In fact there was a lot that was really good. It was just missing a few crucial elements to really work as a story.

Let’s start with the good.

All the heroes were genuinely likable. Momo was by far the season fav for me, but I liked Goro and Shouhei a lot too. I was surprised by how much I liked Riki, since “kid rangers” tend to bug me, but they managed to make it work for him. I feel like he got more respect as a character than Kibaranger did, and overall he came across as mature for his age. That maturity both worked as a solid character trait and complemented the professionalism of the main rangers well. Gunmajin was pretty good too, but then again I have a soft spot for well-intentioned yet awkward magic robots. WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED. And Dorin was precious.

I absolutely love the design of some of the mecha on this season. Sky Phoenix and Dash Leon are two I’ve loved since I was a child, and Ohranger Robo looks so good. Red Puncher has a great design too, and I liked how they gave him a distinct fighting style. Some of the other mecha…we’ll talk about later, though.

King Ranger’s suit is one of the best designs in Sentai. Enough said.

I still really liked the Baranoia Empire, which isn’t much of a surprise since I liked their Power Rangers counterpart. I’ve said it before, but I’m a sucker for dorky evil families. Plus they’re a dorky evil ROBOT family, so really they were written for me. I was surprised that they actually got quite a bit of development over the course of the show, and I was way more invested in the evolution of their family than anything else in the plot. Kaiser Bulldont and Maltihua were a great combination of unrestrained malice and absolute dorkiness.

Tying into that, I thought the ending with Hysterrier was the perfect way to end the show. Because the Empire got the bulk of the plot/character development, it was only fitting that it end on a bittersweet moment of redemption for that family. It was sad but ultimately hopeful, which fit the often inconsistent tone of the show.

There were some very good individual episodes. For example, episode 15 was great, even if it made me very sad. Momo’s episodes tended to be good too.

I also really liked how some of the “kids of the week” were reoccurring. It helped make it more believable that these were kids that the Ohranger members knew, and gave the show just a touch more continuity. That was nice.

Finally, none of the heroes died for the sake of pointless melodrama hallelujah.

But that said, there was still a bit of bad.

I hate the Ohranger suits (with the exception of King Ranger who is obviously perfect.) I just do. The combination of an overall plain design, those fussy little gold details, and the visors in simple iconic shapes just feels like a mess to me. They don’t feel “military” or “ancient” to me, and they definitely don’t feel like a coherent hybrid of those two.

That Paku puppet. Really. That was the best they could do there.

“The Final Swimsuit” episode and the “Seven Changes” episode. Again, really. That was the best you could write there.

I also dislike about as many mecha as I like. I can forgive Moa Loader and Dogu Lander being Basically Just Legs because I actually think the way they worked the ancient civilization motif into Basically Just Legs was kind of clever, and Ohranger Robo does look good with them. But the individual Blockers are terrible, and Tackle Boy is somehow worse. It doesn’t make it any better that in-story he just kind of comes out of nowhere??? And no one pilots him somehow? Like he’s sentient or something??? It’s weird. Tackle Boy is weird. King Pyramider is also terrible, frankly and Riki deserved better.

Speaking of ways Riki deserved better, that leads me to the missed opportunities section.

The story totally wasted Riki. He’s barely even in the show after his introduction, except as an occasional Deus Ex Machina. I know some sixth rangers have a bad habit of being spotlight hogs, but this was the opposite extreme. There was literally a point in the show where I forgot Riki existed. He and Dorin should have been super plot relevant, since they’re the living link to the “ancient civilizations” that are supposedly central to the show’s identity. But they really weren’t. I could tell they tried a little in the finale, but by then it was too late.

Honestly the show should have delved a lot more into the ancient civilization stuff. I feel like the contrast of a modern military operation and an ancient magical empire should have given the show a stronger sense of identity. As it was, only the military part really comes through. I would have loved an arc where the Rangers, like, traveled into the past or something. Or had trouble adapting some ancient power-up item for their modern-built robots. Or struggled with Riki on some major military procedural point. Gunmajin helped a little, with his outmoded code of honor, but even his presence felt incidental to the main conflict.

We also got literally no character development for the heroes. The Rangers start off as competent soldiers with a professional but friendly relationship, and they end the show as just that. Riki starts off as a dedicated boy soldier loyal to Dorin, and ends the show as just that. Dorin starts as an innocent cinnamon roll and has an entire episode about how she’s not allowed to become anything else. The chief never has to change his leadership style or do anything different at all. They’re all static. None of the rangers got subplots the way the Kakurangers or Dairangers did, not even Goro or Riki, which was shocking. Their focus episodes were all fine, but they never moved the characters forward.

I also feel like there was something missing from the group’s dynamic, but it’s hard to put a finger on. I liked all the Rangers individually, and found them less flat than the Zyurangers, but I feel like their personalities never got a good chance to play off of one another. It was kind of like they had to take turns having personality. What’s weird is I do remember several episodes/scenes of them hanging out socially, and a few focus episodes about Juri and Momo’s relationship, but they never seemed to stick for me. They just didn’t seem as close as the other rangers I’ve seen somehow.

So that’s the show for me overall. Not bad, just bland. It’s a solid enough story for the villains, but doesn’t do much for its heroes. Ranking what I’ve watched so far, I’d put it:

1. Kakuranger

2. Dairanger

3.Ohranger

4. Zyuranger
Kayweather is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
a 40 year toy commercial, debating over spandex, destroyallchildren, liveman why have you?, nokidsallowed, thebestsentaithread, theoptimalsentaithread, xistheobjectlygoodsentai