Menu

Closed

Old May 31st, 2019, 07:22 PM #5221
> MegaZeo
Shattered Plot

MegaZeo
Shattered Plot

#39 thoughts.

And so, Beyond The Grid ends with the Rangers in a big spaceless void and fading out in a bright, white light with no indication as to what is happening or what happens afterwards.

Jesus Christ, does Boom know there are OTHER ways to end major story arcs? Holy shit.

Praetor was an interesting villain in concept (A Morphin Master who lost his way? Sign me up!), but doesn't really do very much. And after seeing how he's defeated, Zordon or Ninjor or Rita or the Morphin Grid Emissaries really should've suggested channeling a Morphin Grid blast through a Megazord to beat Drakkon, because apparently that's Super Effective!™

Similarily, Ari was a neat character in theory, but ultimately I don't really feel like I came to care about her very much, nor did I learn much about her other than her Ranger suit looks cool (which, admittedly, it does), and she and Remi are totally LESBIAAANS!!™ I mean, maybe I just didn't get all that involved because I knew she wasn't gonna be lasting past ten issues and so she ultimately didn't matter. I'd welcome her showing up again in a future arc if it meant she got some development past "Praetor is mean" and got to do some proper Rangering.

As for the "Solarix Megazord"... Eh? It's better than the Mega Megazord but not as cool as the Gravezord.
Old May 31st, 2019, 09:56 PM #5222
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

One thing I got right from the storyline:
Remi does become a Ranger, though it happens in the end and we never get to see her in action as the Orange Solar Ranger because of this, hence I do think that this isn't the last we'll ever see the Promethea Rangers. As I said before, this storyline could've worked if it wasn't part of the MMPR ongoing and that it was a 12-part maxiseries with each issue comprising of more than 24 pages, thus expanding the story along with reducing the exposition and building the character development and in those nine issues from their place would've been filler issues with each issue focusing on each Ranger along with the ninth issue serving as a prelude to Necessary Evil.
Old June 1st, 2019, 04:13 PM #5223
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Finally got to reading #39
For me, I've enjoyed the BTG story. That being said, it was too short. It's a shame it couldn't have gone on longer. Why, don't know. Maybe it was always planned this way; maybe Bennet chose to leave for good or bad reasons, maybe they just canned it after she started so it meant shortening things. Maybe Boom gave in to people complaining about not having their MMPR, no clue. Whatever the reason, it's a shame cause it was a solid story and having a mixed group of rangers would've been neat but it didn't get to go anywhere really. Cam got totally shafted in the entire comic which sucked. I mean at least we got Heckyl as the Dark Ranger so there's that. And I liked Ari well enough. Really, there was about as much to her as many of the rangers in the history of the show so yeah. I think the big thing is you can see the potential for the setup; lost in a universe cut off from the grid, limited morphing, the Praetor turning out to be a corrupt Morphin Master, etc etc. But it just doesn't quite reach where it probably should have. Likely did the best with the time they had.

I agree the art wasn't my favorite, but that's been the case from the first preview, so yeah. I like the Solar Ranger suit, and just the aesthetics in general but I kind of have a soft spot for purple rangers so there's that. I wasn't too thrilled with the end though. Felt too abrupt, but then it does leave it open to maybe explore things down the road somehow I guess. I am curious about Necessary Evil but honestly I didn't need a return to the MMPR group. Even with the Stone Canyon Trio introduced, White Ranger, and Zedd, I still just didn't need it. Hopefully it'll be a good story.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 01:16 PM #5224
> RedRanger87
Somewhere on KO-35

RedRanger87
Somewhere on KO-35

Anybody know what convention Morphin Master/Praetor variant is exclusive to? Can't find any info on it (although there were rumors it was exclusive to a con that just happened). RangerBoard seems to be the only place that has a pic of it too.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 02:55 PM #5225
> comicstar100
Pirate King

comicstar100
Pirate King

I know a lot of people have mixed feelings on Beyond the Grid. Honestly though I will miss this team. Hopefully they find a a way to do another ongoing with something outside of just MMPR.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 08:58 PM #5226
> mateo360
Morphin back into action

eBay
mateo360
Morphin back into action

eBay

RedRanger87 wrote: View Post

https://f.RangerBoard.com/chat/boom_covers_mmpr38.png

Anybody know what convention Morphin Master/Praetor variant is exclusive to? Can't find any info on it (although there were rumors it was exclusive to a con that just happened). RangerBoard seems to be the only place that has a pic of it too.
I saw it at Denver Pop Culture con this last weekend. They didn't actually mark which covers were exclusive till the last day.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old June 4th, 2019, 04:25 AM #5227
> RedRanger87
Somewhere on KO-35

RedRanger87
Somewhere on KO-35

mateo360 wrote: View Post

I saw it at Denver Pop Culture con this last weekend. They didn't actually mark which covers were exclusive till the last day.
Thank you for confirming! Now to hunt a copy down.
Old June 4th, 2019, 06:22 AM #5228
> jrodlivewire06
Power Ranger

jrodlivewire06
Power Ranger

Has the Gurihiru variant for Go Go Power Rangers Forever Rangers been revealed anywhere yet?
Old June 4th, 2019, 07:55 AM #5229
> HezMania
Power Ranger

HezMania
Power Ranger

So is the "Beyond the Grid" storyline done? I didn't really care for it. I can't really say why, but it just wasn't as suspenseful.

Hoping moving forward they focus on some of Zedds backstory.
Old June 4th, 2019, 08:26 AM #5230
> ⚡Morgan Lamia
---[DekaModerator]---

Morgan Lamia
---[DekaModerator]---

RedRanger87 wrote: View Post

https://f.RangerBoard.com/chat/boom_covers_mmpr38.png

Because we're the best

I actually found an ebay listing for it last week. At that point, that was the only place I had seen what it looked like. It was a tough one to track down. It's not even listed in the exclusives page of the convention.

Here's a larger version of the cover taken from the ebay auction, and corrected a bit by me to fix the colours and the angle the photo was taken at. It's not perfect, but it'll do, lol.

Last edited by Morgan Lamia; June 4th, 2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old June 4th, 2019, 08:45 AM #5231
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

HezMania wrote: View Post

So is the "Beyond the Grid" storyline done? I didn't really care for it. I can't really say why, but it just wasn't as suspenseful.

Hoping moving forward they focus on some of Zedds backstory.
Yes, it's over. Next issue will be starting Necessary Evil where we're back to MMPR, now with White Ranger. And assumedly the Stone Canyon Trio, and then Zedd so we'll see how it all goes.
Old June 4th, 2019, 09:00 AM #5232
> comicstar100
Pirate King

comicstar100
Pirate King

So essentially the Mighty Morphin book will be Season 2 and Go Go season 1.
Old June 4th, 2019, 09:09 AM #5233
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

comicstar100 wrote: View Post

So essentially the Mighty Morphin book will be Season 2 and Go Go season 1.
Go Go always was season one, it's just now they've gotten to the Tommy portion...so essentially it's become what Kyle's run was (though hopefully not with such an overemphasis on Tommy)
Old June 4th, 2019, 09:30 AM #5234
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Officially I would go with Beyond the Grid being the end of season 1, Go Go is strating with season one as they will need to do the send off for the original trio as well introduce Zedd.
Old June 4th, 2019, 10:00 AM #5235
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

Allio wrote: View Post

Officially I would go with Beyond the Grid being the end of season 1, Go Go is strating with season one as they will need to do the send off for the original trio as well introduce Zedd.
GoGo is going to be picking up immediately after shattered grid, right? Essentially, an alternate reality to S1 after the events of SG?
Old June 4th, 2019, 11:03 AM #5236
> Jimothy
Power Ranger

Jimothy
Power Ranger

Based on the main covers, some of us were speculating that both books appear to be in season 2-- GoGo after Green No More, MMPR after Power Transfer.

"Immediately after Shattered Grid" seems to be being revealed via special variant covers.
Old June 4th, 2019, 12:09 PM #5237
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Yeah shattered Grid/beyond would essentially be the season finale
Old June 4th, 2019, 01:42 PM #5238
> RedRanger87
Somewhere on KO-35

RedRanger87
Somewhere on KO-35

Morgan Lamia wrote: View Post

Because we're the best

I actually found an ebay listing for it last week. At that point, that was the only place I had seen what it looked like. It was a tough one to track down. It's not even listed in the exclusives page of the convention.

Here's a larger version of the cover taken from the ebay auction, and corrected a bit by me to fix the colours and the angle the photo was taken at. It's not perfect, but it'll do, lol.

Thank you! Not sure why Boom didn’t announce it as an exclusive. It would’ve helped if they did as I could’ve tried to ask someone to grab a few copies and help out some fellow fans in the process.

I think the auction is the one I just won. I definitely overpaid, but it was important for me to keep the streak of having all the variants unbroken. I don’t think too many people would have bought this at the Denver con and I expect Boom to have it readily available at upcoming convention appearances.

Last edited by RedRanger87; June 4th, 2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old June 4th, 2019, 03:31 PM #5239
> Veteran Ranger
Let's Ride

Veteran Ranger
Let's Ride

Beyond the Grid Final Thoughts

Beyond the Grid had a lot of potential to be something awesome and, much like every major arc so far, it stumbled in parts of its execution and most of its finale. Truth be told, there's a lot about this arc that didn't feel particularly clear, especially the new information regarding Zeo Crystals. As for all the last minute romances, it all felt too late and too forced for me to really feel satisfied with it, except for Tanya/Mike and Remi/Ari. Ultimately, this entire arc comes across like an incomplete idea that was supposed to have some semblance of a wholly-formed concept by the end of issue #39, and it simply didn't. There were a lot of really cool and interesting ideas, but almost all of them fell flat.

That being said, I did like the Solarix Rangers, even if some of the attempts to resemble previous ranger designs translated to some really goofy looks. The Solarix Megazord was absolutely stellar with some very distinct zord designs.
I do hope we eventually get a dedicated spin-off series to set in this universe and with its own fully-formed team of rangers, but I don't think we will.

Also, I just tend to hate vague endings like this. Given that the main history remains largely unchanged, none of the events of Beyond the Grid will ultimately matter. It would be cool if some or any of the BtG rangers remember, but I doubt that they will. Maybe it'll come up with Grace in the future or with Karone and Andros in the Psycho Path series.

Beyond the Grid may have been disappointing in the end, but I still had a lot of fun reading it. I'm really looking forward to whatever comes next. Hopefully, we'll get more series that focus on teams other than the original MMPR team.
Old June 4th, 2019, 04:19 PM #5240
> ⚡Morgan Lamia
---[DekaModerator]---

Morgan Lamia
---[DekaModerator]---

Speaking of variants, here's the very cool SDCC Diamond Retailer Event exclusive cover for MMPR #39 by Valeria Favoccia. It's currently on ebay.
Thanks to trekkieb47 for the heads-up.

Closed

Tags
his time has come