Menu

Closed

Old June 29th, 2018, 07:20 PM #2181
> SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

Harpsikord wrote: View Post

Am I the only one that would read a whole book about Karone trying to make amends for her past sins? Or that she should at least be the pink ranger featured in the Beyond the Grid team? The whole short ended super open-endedly.
About the "Trial of Astronema" story, including the ending...

It read a lot better for me the first time than second & third reads. The ending in particular struck a particularly false note - Karone's come within a hop, a skip and a trick of being judicially executed [i]and was ready to die[/i]; she had that "I... I never knew..." moment when she believed the yarn Andros was spinning and then had that shattered for her - after which she told Andros to sod off, she's not his snowflake any more (comparing him to Dark Specter in a particularly cutting way in the process, even if she [i]slightly[/i] walked back on it afterward) - decided she has to quit her life all over again and go wandering to, I don't know, make some big universe saving gesture?... and then she gives Maya this big goofy grin and says it'll be alright in the end? That's... yeah, false note.

The other point, which the story implicitly raises but doesn't exactly deal with is... WHAT exactly is "Karone"? Maybe this was dealt with in the Space/LG shows, since I admit I never saw them, but from what I know she got "purified" from Astronema by Zordon's death. But this issue is at pains to say that she wasn't reverted to the "little girl Darkonda kidnapped" - she's still an adult, and not even some sort of hypothetical "if she'd never been kidnapped, this is who Karone would have been" version - she even goes so far as to say "I am Astronema" and that she's [i]consciously[/i] restraining herself from falling back into old habits. So what makes her not-Astronema-now in the first place? If she's "still exactly who she was as Astronema, just with added conscience" that's more interesting as a direction, but this seems to be a one-shot story - and besides, it doesn't seem hugely consistent with the whole "purified" idea. But if she really [i]is[/i] different, then where does the "different" come from in the first place?
Old June 29th, 2018, 08:36 PM #2182
> Primal Slayer
Power Ranger

Primal Slayer
Power Ranger

I've always found Karone/Astronema one of the best and most interesting characters in the Power Rangers universe, I would love to get her more spotlight in this Power Rangers universe. She would be interesting to go up against Ranger Slayer.
Old June 29th, 2018, 09:18 PM #2183
> PR Master
Beige Ranger

PR Master
Beige Ranger

OmniMystechRanger wrote: View Post

Was gypped I got the powerrangers archive mus the final page of the darkrangers story by marvel, how do I get that page from them now?
Contact Boom Studios, it may be a printing error, if it was on Comixology then tell them about it as they can update issues if there is a problem.
Old June 30th, 2018, 05:02 AM #2184
> monkeyjb1988
Power Ranger

monkeyjb1988
Power Ranger

Was gypped I got the powerrangers archive mus the final page of the darkrangers story by marvel, how do I get that page from them now?
PR Master wrote: View Post

Contact Boom Studios, it may be a printing error, if it was on Comixology then tell them about it as they can update issues if there is a problem.
I posted a message on Twitter to them. I'll let you know if they say anything if you let us know if the comic gets updated. Maybe that's what delayed the Amazon release.

SanityOrMadness wrote: View Post

It read a lot better for me the first time than second & third reads. The ending in particular struck a particularly false note - Karone's come within a hop, a skip and a trick of being judicially executed [i]and was ready to die[/i]; she had that "I... I never knew..." moment when she believed the yarn Andros was spinning and then had that shattered for her - after which she told Andros to sod off, she's not his snowflake any more (comparing him to Dark Specter in a particularly cutting way in the process, even if she [i]slightly[/i] walked back on it afterward) - decided she has to quit her life all over again and go wandering to, I don't know, make some big universe saving gesture?... and then she gives Maya this big goofy grin and says it'll be alright in the end? That's... yeah, false note.

The other point, which the story implicitly raises but doesn't exactly deal with is... WHAT exactly is "Karone"? Maybe this was dealt with in the Space/LG shows, since I admit I never saw them, but from what I know she got "purified" from Astronema by Zordon's death. But this issue is at pains to say that she wasn't reverted to the "little girl Darkonda kidnapped" - she's still an adult, and not even some sort of hypothetical "if she'd never been kidnapped, this is who Karone would have been" version - she even goes so far as to say "I am Astronema" and that she's [i]consciously[/i] restraining herself from falling back into old habits. So what makes her not-Astronema-now in the first place? If she's "still exactly who she was as Astronema, just with added conscience" that's more interesting as a direction, but this seems to be a one-shot story - and besides, it doesn't seem hugely consistent with the whole "purified" idea. But if she really [i]is[/i] different, then where does the "different" come from in the first place?
I must be reading that panel differently than you. I didn't think it was a goofy grin. I thought it was just a "I have to do what I can" grin, or even a grin just to make Maya feel better about her leaving.

Also, I too haven't watched much Space or Lost Galaxy but I read an episode description that sounded like Karone still had to deal with her past. I don't think it was a thing for her entire time on the show but I think Boom has a knack for going deeper with the characters than Saban, Disney, and Neo-Saban.

That's just me. Maybe it was a big goofy grin and I'm reading it differently. That said, the story and art played out fine for me.
Old June 30th, 2018, 06:01 AM #2185
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Astronema story either

Feels like it tries too hard to be deconstructive
Old June 30th, 2018, 07:59 AM #2186
> moonknight2099
Ja no Michi on Stage!

moonknight2099
Ja no Michi on Stage!

has that ever happened before about a missing page do they have the rest of the story and just missed that last page out ?
Old June 30th, 2018, 09:25 AM #2187
> The Return Of...
VIP Rider

The Return Of...
VIP Rider

My Denver Comic Con Variant has finally arrived!
Old June 30th, 2018, 09:53 AM #2188
> moonknight2099
Ja no Michi on Stage!

moonknight2099
Ja no Michi on Stage!

forgot to ask can anyone post an image of the missing page in question
Old June 30th, 2018, 12:16 PM #2189
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Here you go:
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old June 30th, 2018, 12:51 PM #2190
> SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

More Astronema talk (oh, if we had spoiler threads for issues...!)

monkeyjb1988 wrote: View Post

I must be reading that panel differently than you. I didn't think it was a goofy grin. I thought it was just a "I have to do what I can" grin, or even a grin just to make Maya feel better about her leaving.

Also, I too haven't watched much Space or Lost Galaxy but I read an episode description that sounded like Karone still had to deal with her past. I don't think it was a thing for her entire time on the show but I think Boom has a knack for going deeper with the characters than Saban, Disney, and Neo-Saban.

That's just me. Maybe it was a big goofy grin and I'm reading it differently. That said, the story and art played out fine for me.
You could read it as a forced smile for Maya's benefit, I guess. But it's one of these situations where I wonder if an editor, or one of the "Saban Brands Story Team" credited on the contents page, has stepped in and had the ending of the story done like that to end on a more upbeat note.

It really wouldn't have taken much - if the staging hid Karone's face, and the letterer added a "pause" and bolded the "will", it would have read like a vow. Something like this (note: Not an artist, not a letterer, quick layout sketch quickly done for demonstration purposes, not to show art ability!)
Old June 30th, 2018, 02:22 PM #2191
> Mr. Yellow
Twitter - @MisturYellow

Mr. Yellow
Twitter - @MisturYellow

Can anyone else confirm their archive collection has a missing page as well?
Old June 30th, 2018, 08:21 PM #2192
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

maslego wrote: View Post

About the anniversary special
1. If Billy invented a way to grow giant why not use it more?
2. I like the connection between Astronema and Doggie
3. I was thinking how much of a cop out the second Astronema was and I'm glad it was addressed.
4. I still say the fact the Ninja Steel rangers knew about the MMPR team only makes them look stupider in hindsight. That means they knew what zords were yet acted like they'd never heard of them before.
5. I do like how the MMPR/Ninja Steel story left the door open for a future team.
4. You're assuming they knew about them before becoming rangers though. Seems more likely that Mick told them, or they found an old video , and learned about the MMPR then. Which means yeah at the beginning they still wouldn't know what zords were.

Well finished the anniversary issue. It was amusing, but like others said the only one that really mattered was Karone's trial. I liked it, especially cause it had a realistic end and wasn't so cheesily happy. Karone smacking Andros for using a fake Astronema was awesome, loved it.

The other stories were okay, fun little things I guess. I mean it was nice having a story addressing the new team dealing with coming into the group that's been operating well before them and have their own history and experiences. The first story was...silly. So Rita thinks she can steal Tommy's white ranger powers with the remnants of the candle that was used to steal his green ranger powers? I feel like there was a huge logic flaw or maybe I'm missing something. Anyway, simple enough throw away story.

The MF was nice but then they just hand waved it away by having it disappear from Udonna's mind, as they said, like a dream. Just...felt pointless then. And the NSt was meh. Really that's all I can say. Though I guess I should give it up to Brody for thinking smart and using timey whimey logic to get the creature defeated by an unknown future group of rangers, there was that.

Harpsikord wrote: View Post

Am I the only one that would read a whole book about Karone trying to make amends for her past sins? Or that she should at least be the pink ranger featured in the Beyond the Grid team? The whole short ended super open-endedly.
I agree, more or less. Though I'm fine with Slayer being the Pink cause I like Slayer so far. But Karone would've made for a great choice too. And yeah, her trying to redeem herself would make a great story. I'd love if they at least did a mini. Heh, do a new Pink mini series but this time with Karone, give her a redemption story or at least one where she feels redeemed. That'd be nice. I was definitely the best part of the story for me(aside from calling out Andros) was Karone owning it. She wasn't under a spell or anything, she was raised evil. Realized she was wrong, but still it happened. She really did all those things, so her feelings are warranted as are the feelings of all those victims. Nice job on that story, really nice job.

cleanuphtr15 wrote: View Post

So I'm a little bit confused about the history of the Psycho Rangers. During the trial it said that Astronema created them. I don't really remember how they came to be, but sure. But then there was Psycho Green from the comic series.

Was the part about Astronema creating them incorrect?
Was their creation inspired by Psycho Green?

Anyone have any insight into this?
While Dexter basically answered this, I will say ever since making Psycho Green I've been curious. Though with Kyle leaving who knows if it'll ever be addressed exactly how Green fits in with the actual course of events. I would say Green was the original and the others Astronema made were done from his "blueprints". But yeah, maybe some day we'll get a story about it though I doubt it. Maybe Kyle had thoughts on it and will deem to relay those as some point.

SonicBlueRanger wrote: View Post

Well I enjoyed the whole thing honestly.

The Udonna story was enjoyable but I do question how Mystic Mother showed up to a young Udonna since this is maybe the late 80's early 90's so she should still be Rita. But honestly it didn't take me out of it that much.
For me I took it as her not being so young. But thinking about it, I'd probably say Mystic Mother exists outside of time in her realm, so even if it was technically during when she was suppose to be Rita, she also exists outside of time as MM so can project herself to a young Udonna. Don't know, best answer I got.

SanityOrMadness wrote: View Post

Why is it false for Karone to feel good about her future? She was willing to die if that was the verdict because she believed it would've given her atonement with peace for her victims. And yeah, she was pissed at Andros cause as she explained, he took the decision away from her. She chose to accept the punishment for her deeds, that was her choice even if it ended in death. Andros taking that from her robbed her of that choice, and leaves her unmoored in the sense that now she's gotta figure out what to do with herself and how to make up for her deeds. Even if she's hopeful, it doesn't mean she doesn't have that still weighing on her. I also wouldn't take her expression as much of a grin, but I guess interpretation and all that. It looks less like a grin and more just, straight line? more neutral of an expression.

Since you never watched Space/LG, rundown. Darkonda kidnapped Karone for Dark Specter when she was a child. Then she was given to Ecliptor to raise to be evil. Grew to be Astronema, Princess of Evil, etc etc. Eventually while fighting the rangers she starts remembering things about her youth before being kidnapped, leading her to eventually forswear the evil lifestyle and try and be just Karone again. Didn't work out, she gets captured and Darkonda used tech to brainwash her back into being evil Astronema. Zordon's wave of energy did eradicate "Astronema" from her, but it was yeah more of a purifying thing to undo the brainwashing she was under. Leaving her to where she was mentally before that, which was..."normal"?

So yes, she is/was Astronema. All those evil acts she committed, she did so willingly of her own volition cause that's how she was raised. She wasn't under some spell or anything(except like I said, the later brainwashing) forcing her to do all those things, she was just evil. But she came to understand what she knew of her life was a lie and eventually turned a new leaf. Thus why she still has issues dealing with people, and why yes she believes she needs atonement.

Last edited by Alitain; June 30th, 2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old June 30th, 2018, 10:09 PM #2193
> d3monicwolv3s
Emissary of Hell

d3monicwolv3s
Emissary of Hell

PR Master wrote: View Post

I contacted Boom when I got a very badly printed issue 0, where a good portion of the images were cut off. I sent them pictures and they wanted me to ship the comic back to them out of my pocket before they'd replace it.

Hopefully Boom has changed or you can return it to where you bought it.
Old June 30th, 2018, 10:23 PM #2194
> PR Master
Beige Ranger

PR Master
Beige Ranger

monkeyjb1988 wrote: View Post

I posted a message on Twitter to them. I'll let you know if they say anything if you let us know if the comic gets updated. Maybe that's what delayed the Amazon release.
I haven't bought it yet, if I do it will be through comixology.
Old June 30th, 2018, 10:32 PM #2195
> Pumpy
Power Ranger

Pumpy
Power Ranger

Until someone besides George reports a page missing in the archive, let's refrain from freaking out.
Old July 1st, 2018, 03:19 AM #2196
> Mr. Yellow
Twitter - @MisturYellow

Mr. Yellow
Twitter - @MisturYellow

All those negative reviews of BOOM shipping and Iíve had no issues, other than a delay on one order that appeared to be the fault of postal service. Hmm...

EDIT: Which page number is it thatís missing?

Last edited by Mr. Yellow; July 1st, 2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old July 1st, 2018, 09:45 AM #2197
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

The next 25 Dark Ranger issues are missing! So are the Galidor comics!!

Hopefully the re-release fixes this, and the cover is all stickered up.
Old July 1st, 2018, 09:50 AM #2198
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Mr. Yellow wrote: View Post

All those negative reviews of BOOM shipping and Iíve had no issues, other than a delay on one order that appeared to be the fault of postal service. Hmm...

EDIT: Which page number is it thatís missing?
He said it was the final page of the Dark Rangers comic - which is Ninja Rangers #3.
Old July 1st, 2018, 10:23 AM #2199
> maslego
Idea Ranger

maslego
Idea Ranger

Citrus James Gaylyn wrote: View Post

Oh my god I completely forgot Galidor was a thing until just now.
Old July 1st, 2018, 11:12 AM #2200
> Mr. Yellow
Twitter - @MisturYellow

Mr. Yellow
Twitter - @MisturYellow

Citrus James Gaylyn wrote: View Post

Not sure why you felt the need to go back in time to shitty RangerBoard, but there are people who care about this product and itís not crazy to not want to be missing a page of a story. Itís not complaining about something trivial.

No need to be an ass.

Digifiend wrote: View Post

He said it was the final page of the Dark Rangers comic - which is Ninja Rangers #3.
I know this...Iím talking about which page number in the Archive book.
Closed

Tags
his time has come