> Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

Dead2009 wrote: View Post

Petition Demands Captain Marvel Be Played By Gay Woman of Color Not Brie Larson
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...t-brie-larson/

This is pretty stupid
So... what you're telling me is that someone made a petition on a free website... and had at the time of posting... 32 signatures and was relevant enough to get an article on it... and for that article to be posted here. We all know this was likely started by a middle aged man in bad faith who hates Brie Larson and if someone black actually was chosen for the movie they'd be hollering about forced diversity.

How about we don't post everything that people put on the internet as an attempt to smear Brie Larson?
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 1st, 2019, 06:08 PM #682
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Well if they want her to be a woman of color, there's always grown-up Monica Rambeau...

But Brie wasn't that bad (dull but it was a rather by the numbers movie; same as I thought of "Doctor Strange" but even that had some fun moments) and I think it's just the disgust culture that's out there sadly.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 07:03 PM #683
> BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

And that article on it is from "Bounding Into Comics," which is basically the comic book news equivalent of Brietbart, IE not a reputable or trusted source. Or course they're going to be trying to stir shit up about Captain Marvel. They've had it out for that movie since it was announced. I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone from that site that started the petition.
BigMDtheSequel is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 10:30 PM #684
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Dead2009 wrote: View Post

Petition Demands Captain Marvel Be Played By Gay Woman of Color Not Brie Larson
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...t-brie-larson/

This is pretty stupid
I hope Marvel doesn't accept this petition because this is a dumb move, not to mention that while I like Monica and felt she would've been a safer choice than Carol, this is not the right thing to do.

Last edited by AdrenalineRush; May 2nd, 2019 at 11:04 AM.
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 1st, 2019, 10:41 PM #685
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

I hope Marvel doesn't accept this petition because this is a dumb move.
Why would they?
Poweranimals is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2019, 10:21 AM #686
> Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Xenotome wrote: View Post

So... what you're telling me is that someone made a petition on a free website... and had at the time of posting... 32 signatures and was relevant enough to get an article on it... and for that article to be posted here. We all know this was likely started by a middle aged man in bad faith who hates Brie Larson and if someone black actually was chosen for the movie they'd be hollering about forced diversity.

How about we don't post everything that people put on the internet as an attempt to smear Brie Larson?
Yeah, there was no reason to bring it up. Chances are it was made by Brie Larson smearers in the first place. It's a common tactic to "get back at SJW" by making fake articles and stuff and going" LOOK AT HOW RIDICULOUS THEY ARE".
Miraculous Bikkun is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 01:05 PM #687
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

Honest Trailer

GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2019, 06:41 PM #688
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Saw the deleted scenes on the blu ray. Apparently Yon-Rogg sees the Supreme Intelligence as an older version of himself, and it wasn't happy that Yon-Rogg killed Mar-Vell. Wanted her back alive.
Dragonwolf Ranger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 11:27 AM #689
> Zeo-Gold92
'What's Cookin?'

Zeo-Gold92
'What's Cookin?'

So I got around to seeing this after watching Shazam! earlier tonight. I gotta say I wanted to like this, but it just wasn't up to snuff imo. It just felt kind of average. It reminded me of the feeling watching The Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton. You know just going through the motions, the music I found didn't really fit many of the scenes either. It was nice seeing the opening tribute to Stan Lee and his cameo on the bus was too. Glad I missed seeing this one in cinema.
Zeo-Gold92 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 12:40 PM #690
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Zeo-Gold92 wrote: View Post

So I got around to seeing this after watching Shazam! earlier tonight. I gotta say I wanted to like this, but it just wasn't up to snuff imo. It just felt kind of average. It reminded me of the feeling watching The Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton. You know just going through the motions, the music I found didn't really fit many of the scenes either. It was nice seeing the opening tribute to Stan Lee and his cameo on the bus was too. Glad I missed seeing this one in cinema.
I was thinking about this earlier when I was thinking about Spider-man and how that movie is so good. Captain Marvel is a Phase 1 movie in Phase 3. Everything they've learned over the past decade is forgotten when they made Captain Marvel. There are great things in Captain Marvel but the title characters story isn't one of them and that is the majority of the film. Talos is the only interesting thing about the movie and he is the antagonist for half the film.
christopherjohn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2019, 07:00 AM #691
> Cammy
This cage demeans us both

Cammy
This cage demeans us both

Well, that's not good then!! I'm doing the sound for outdoor movies this summer, and Captain Marvel is this month's pick.
Cammy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2019, 04:10 PM #692
> BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

christopherjohn wrote: View Post

I was thinking about this earlier when I was thinking about Spider-man and how that movie is so good. Captain Marvel is a Phase 1 movie in Phase 3. Everything they've learned over the past decade is forgotten when they made Captain Marvel. There are great things in Captain Marvel but the title characters story isn't one of them and that is the majority of the film. Talos is the only interesting thing about the movie and he is the antagonist for half the film.
That's weird. I think one of the best compliments of Captain Marvel I've ever heard was that it felt more like a Phase One movie. Back when Marvel had a better understanding of how to balance character, drama, action, and humor. These days, the Marvel films all have a very homogenized tone that places silliness above all else. Character, story, and any sense of dramatic tension are sacrificed for jokes, many of which don't land.

There's still some of that in Captain Marvel, like when the Skrulls appear in Maria's house but the moment is immediately undercut by Talos slurping on a soda straw. And Talos turns into a complete buffoon as soon as he's revealed to not be the true antagonist. And the revelation that Nick Fury lost his eye to a random scratch from a space cat (with whom he'd previously enjoyed a friendly relationship, so the flerken taking a swipe at his face didn't even make sense. It's like the movie was 90% done and someone at the studio decided, "Hey, we should show how Nick Fury lost his eye! Just say the cat scratched him! It'll be funny!").
Old July 18th, 2019, 04:22 PM #693
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

BigMDtheSequel wrote: View Post

That's weird. I think one of the best compliments of Captain Marvel I've ever heard was that it felt more like a Phase One movie. Back when Marvel had a better understanding of how to balance character, drama, action, and humor. These days, the Marvel films all have a very homogenized tone that places silliness above all else. Character, story, and any sense of dramatic tension are sacrificed for jokes, many of which don't land.

There's still some of that in Captain Marvel, like when the Skrulls appear in Maria's house but the moment is immediately undercut by Talos slurping on a soda straw. And Talos turns into a complete buffoon as soon as he's revealed to not be the true antagonist. And the revelation that Nick Fury lost his eye to a random scratch from a space cat (with whom he'd previously enjoyed a friendly relationship, so the flerken taking a swipe at his face didn't even make sense. It's like the movie was 90% done and someone at the studio decided, "Hey, we should show how Nick Fury lost his eye! Just say the cat scratched him! It'll be funny!").
Talos was an interesting character which is my point. He had motive and drive. He became somewhat of a goof ball sure. But that is called levity and the film needed that with Carol. She was a wooden plank of a character. Which again if this film came out during phase 1 it would have been amazing. Not Iron Man or Captain America but shit it is better than Thor, IH and IM2. However this film has come out after the likes of Ragnorok, Ant-Man 2, Infinity War that just doesn't make it live up to those films at all. I'm not someone who blindly follows Marvel films either. I think oen of their worst films ever was Endgame. Yeah I said it. It was. It though was at least entertaining.
Old July 18th, 2019, 09:42 PM #694
> BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

Talos was an interesting character which is my point. He had motive and drive. He became somewhat of a goof ball sure. But that is called levity and the film needed that with Carol. She was a wooden plank of a character. Which again if this film came out during phase 1 it would have been amazing. Not Iron Man or Captain America but shit it is better than Thor, IH and IM2. However this film has come out after the likes of Ragnorok, Ant-Man 2, Infinity War that just doesn't make it live up to those films at all. I'm not someone who blindly follows Marvel films either. I think oen of their worst films ever was Endgame. Yeah I said it. It was. It though was at least entertaining.
I just don't think we have any common ground on this issue.

I loved Carol. I didn't find anything about her personality or Brie Larson's performance to be at all wooden (if anything, I can think of a couple moments where she probably could have dialed it back a little).

I found Talos' "levity" to be unnecessary and often cringey. One of the worst moments in the film was when he pulled out that soda cup. They sacrificed dramatic tension and story/character logic for a cheap laugh that didn't even really land.

With the possible exceptions of Civil War, Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man 2, every phase 1 movie is better than phase 3.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd put Iron Man 2 and Incredible Hulk both above GotG2 and Ragnarok.
Old July 18th, 2019, 10:01 PM #695
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

BigMDtheSequel wrote: View Post

I just don't think we have any common ground on this issue.

I loved Carol. I didn't find anything about her personality or Brie Larson's performance to be at all wooden (if anything, I can think of a couple moments where she probably could have dialed it back a little).

I found Talos' "levity" to be unnecessary and often cringey. One of the worst moments in the film was when he pulled out that soda cup. They sacrificed dramatic tension and story/character logic for a cheap laugh that didn't even really land.

With the possible exceptions of Civil War, Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man 2, every phase 1 movie is better than phase 3.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd put Iron Man 2 and Incredible Hulk both above GotG2 and Ragnarok.
Civil War wasn't Phase 1. Iron Man 2 is the worst MCU film every. I enjoyed Captain Marvel more than Doctor Strange. I just felt it was the weakest entry to Phase 3 specially leading up to the final film of all 3 phases.
Old July 18th, 2019, 11:11 PM #696
> BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

Civil War wasn't Phase 1.
I didn't say it was. I said it was the exception to the pattern I was describing, which was generally phase 1 being better than phase 3. Civil War stands apart from most of the rest of phase 3. It took itself seriously enough while still being fun and engaging and not sacrificing story, character, or logic for the sake of jokes.
Old July 19th, 2019, 04:47 AM #697
> Trey-El
Red Scorpion Ranger

Trey-El
Red Scorpion Ranger

Yeah, I do feel like some jokes are unnecessary.

For example, Korg making his joke about rebuilding Asgard during and after it's destruction. Like, I'm seeing the home Thor fought so hard to save get destroyed and I can feel that weight of the moment. I don't need Korg making a joke on it because it kills the strength of that moment.

Another thing was Steve and Thor in IW. I see Thor make one of the most badass entrances in a marvel movie, but we gonna take a break during battle for a joke between Cap and Thor on Cap's beard and Thor's haircut.

Overall, it's not that Marvel makes bad jokes, but it does seem like they make bad calls on when to add one sometimes.
Trey-El is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 08:56 AM #698
> Zeo-Gold92
'What's Cookin?'

Zeo-Gold92
'What's Cookin?'

I think for me, I agree with christopherjohn, Carol was very wooden and the moments where they tried to get her break away from that, it just fell awkward and flat. One thing I wanted to praise after watching before, how they de-aged Fury. I thought that was really good and found it to be pretty convincing. Am I the only one that thought Coulson sometimes looked a little off in some of his shots though? I'm not sure if I'd have different opinions if this had been apart of phase one. I don't see this being better than any of those films. I actually rewatch phase one, I don't plan to rewatch this.
Zeo-Gold92 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 01:27 PM #699
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Zeo-Gold92 wrote: View Post

Am I the only one that thought Coulson sometimes looked a little off in some of his shots though?
No, I agree with you, I thought Coulson looked a little strange. Something was slightly off.

I also agree that the highlight of the movie was the supporting cast. I liked the Skrulls, I liked Fury, I really liked the pilot best friend character (I wanna say, Monica?) and her daughter. Didn't care much for Marvel.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 01:43 PM #700
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Peter wrote: View Post

I really liked the pilot best friend character (I wanna say, Monica?)
Maria. Monica was the daughter, famous for being another Captain Marvel in the comics.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
brie larson, captain marvel, marvel studios, not an old woman, not elder abuse