Old March 8th, 2019, 04:39 AM #521
> The Return Of...
VIP Rider

The Return Of...
VIP Rider

Saw it last night in imax. I enjoyed it. Future events are setup and some lore was expanded on. Solid A imo.
The Return Of... is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 08:23 AM #522
> PedroMcNamara
Power Ranger

PedroMcNamara
Power Ranger

A solid 7/10.

It was cool. Not particularly groundbreaking to me. Brie Larson....Im waiting to see her in Endgame to see how the Russo's do with her. Because in this...she was wooden and boring as she was in the trailers, so I am still disappointed in her casting in that regard.
PedroMcNamara is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 09:06 AM #523
> Mr.Karate
Power Ranger

Mr.Karate
Power Ranger

Allio wrote: View Post

Didn’t care for the third act

Once Carol got her powers it was just an automatic win button and there wasn’t any tension.

Overall what I expected, just an average mcu movie
This is why I wasn't too excited about this movie. You see this problem with Superman alot. How do you create tension and stakes with a character who can end any threat in seconds? This is why they had to kill Supes off in BvS. So JL could have some stakes and tension.

Larson's personality and lack of charisma didn't help either.
Mr.Karate is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 10:10 AM #524
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Mr.Karate wrote: View Post

How do you create tension and stakes with a character who can end any threat in seconds?
It's probably why intelligent or AI characters are usually their greatest staples as it's a character they can't brute force against.

I mean while Carols is strong she more than likely couldn't beat Thanos if he uses really any of the stones to full use she couldn't win.(assuming is comic accurate that Thanos can at least use 1 infinity stone without the glove. I believe in the comics he can use two simultaneous)
Allio is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 02:15 PM #525
> Mr.Karate
Power Ranger

Mr.Karate
Power Ranger

It's probably why intelligent or AI characters are usually their greatest staples as it's a character they can't brute force against.

Which is why Batman is more popular than Superman.

I mean while Carols is strong she more than likely couldn't beat Thanos if he uses really any of the stones to full use she couldn't win.(assuming is comic accurate that Thanos can at least use 1 infinity stone without the glove. I believe in the comics he can use two simultaneous)
I hope so. I'm trying not to buy into the "She's so strong she can beat Thanos with one punch" hype. Avengers already has the " How do we write out this uber powerful character for 2/3 of the movie so we can actually have a plot" problem with Hulk.
Mr.Karate is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 02:57 PM #526
> laterdayz13
classic

laterdayz13
classic

Which is why Batman is more popular than Superman.

I hope so. I'm trying not to buy into the "She's so strong she can beat Thanos with one punch" hype. Avengers already has the " How do we write out this uber powerful character for 2/3 of the movie so we can actually have a plot" problem with Hulk.
I don’t think that was ever the case. I may be the only one but when they described her I thought they just meant she’s the only one who can get into a straight up brawl with Thanos and be powerful enough to actually hurt him.

But yeah, cool movie! It’s funnier than I expected and Brie and Sam have great chemistry.

BlueMystechRanger wrote: View Post

It was far from the best MCU movie but still a great movie in its own right. I really enjoyed it and didn't really find a lot of fault in it. Though if I had just one nit-pick....

It's that they forgot SHIELD didn't stop going by its full name until the first Iron Man

Other than that, this film was pretty damn solid. They did a great job making me like Captain Marvel again after Civil War II (God, I hope the MCU doesn't touch that story) kinda ruined the character for me.
I don’t think that’s accurate. Pretty sure they called it SHIELD during the Antman flashbacks. I always took it as Coulson just humoring Pepper (I mean, it obviously spelled out SHIELD lol)

Last edited by laterdayz13; March 8th, 2019 at 02:57 PM.
laterdayz13 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 03:41 PM #527
> BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

I don't think anyone is expecting her to stroll in and one-shot Thanos (At least I hope nobody thinks that. Cuz I don't think any incarnation of Carol has ever been that powerful) but damn if she won't be a huge help. And with more than half the cast dead now, the remaining Avengers need all the help they can get.
BlueMystechRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 04:34 PM #528
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

I really liked it. The non-linear style of storytelling manages to prevent the 'typical' hero origins story we're used to seeing, and whilst you think the beats are telegraphed, there's still surprises to be had. Carol and Fury hold centre stage really well, and whilst the first act is a little slow, things pick up in Act 2.

Speaking of surprises, one thing the movie never explains:

The Tesseract. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK? So, it's buried in the ice with Cap in the 40s, ends up on some Kree spaceship in the 90s, then gets transported back to Earth, where they... re-bury it with Cap and defrost him? I don't get it. I was expecting the movie to explain it to me by the time the credits rolled, but nothing. And it's something I'm not seeing on the usual CBM "Things You Missed" lists quite yet. It's bugging the hell out of me, as it's such a large thing it can't be that folks at Marvel missed it, I just wished they'd explain it. If The Tesseract powered the engine that gave Carol powers, is she also powered by The Tesseract? Can she teleport?

On The Villains:

Surprise, Jude Law is the bad guy. Jude Law, the Hollywood A-List star is surprisingly not taking the minor role of team-mate, who knew? He's... fine, I guess. The real surprise is Ben Mendelssohn NOT being the piece-of-shit baddie we were all expecting. Now it's perfect casting, as he's become the default actor for bad guys, we never thought to question it. He steals every scene he's in, and you really buy his motivations.

On Cameos:

Man, Stan Lee reading the script for Mallrats is the most appropriate 90s cameo I could ever hope for. It was fucking perfect.
Spoony Spoonerson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 8th, 2019, 04:49 PM #529
> laterdayz13
classic

laterdayz13
classic

Spoony Spoonerson wrote: View Post

I really liked it. The non-linear style of storytelling manages to prevent the 'typical' hero origins story we're used to seeing, and whilst you think the beats are telegraphed, there's still surprises to be had. Carol and Fury hold centre stage really well, and whilst the first act is a little slow, things pick up in Act 2.

Speaking of surprises, one thing the movie never explains:

The Tesseract. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK? So, it's buried in the ice with Cap in the 40s, ends up on some Kree spaceship in the 90s, then gets transported back to Earth, where they... re-bury it with Cap and defrost him? I don't get it. I was expecting the movie to explain it to me by the time the credits rolled, but nothing. And it's something I'm not seeing on the usual CBM "Things You Missed" lists quite yet. It's bugging the hell out of me, as it's such a large thing it can't be that folks at Marvel missed it, I just wished they'd explain it. If The Tesseract powered the engine that gave Carol powers, is she also powered by The Tesseract? Can she teleport?

On The Villains:

Surprise, Jude Law is the bad guy. Jude Law, the Hollywood A-List star is surprisingly not taking the minor role of team-mate, who knew? He's... fine, I guess. The real surprise is Ben Mendelssohn NOT being the piece-of-shit baddie we were all expecting. Now it's perfect casting, as he's become the default actor for bad guys, we never thought to question it. He steals every scene he's in, and you really buy his motivations.

On Cameos:

Man, Stan Lee reading the script for Mallrats is the most appropriate 90s cameo I could ever hope for. It was fucking perfect.
It wasn’t found with Cap, Howard found it way before. At some point Mar-Vell got her hands on it through project Pegasus (same project name used for Tesseract research in The Avengers) and, eventually, SHIELD got it back.

I really liked that honestly . It’s so powerful and there’s such a huge gap in the timeline that it makes sense to me that someone would have tried to make a play for it. Especially since no one seems to think very much of Earth lol.

When it comes to her powers it’s similar to how Hydra was using it as a power source for energy weapons. Only it changed her on a molecular level. Maybe even unlocked something that was already inside her, like what the mind stone did to Wanda and Pietro .
Old March 8th, 2019, 05:23 PM #530
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

laterdayz13 wrote: View Post

It wasn’t found with Cap, Howard found it way before. At some point Mar-Vell got her hands on it through project Pegasus (same project name used for Tesseract research in The Avengers) and, eventually, SHIELD got it back.

I really liked that honestly . It’s so powerful and there’s such a huge gap in the timeline that it makes sense to me that someone would have tried to make a play for it. Especially since no one seems to think very much of Earth lol.

When it comes to her powers it’s similar to how Hydra was using it as a power source for energy weapons. Only it changed her on a molecular level. Maybe even unlocked something that was already inside her, like what the mind stone did to Wanda and Pietro .
Really? The way it's described in Avengers (from memory) is that they were discovered together, at the same time. This is why a lot of SHIELD's work on The Tesseract is in very early stages, and them poking around with it for the first time is what alerts Thanos to it's presence.
Spoony Spoonerson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 05:32 PM #531
> raden238
Power Ranger

raden238
Power Ranger

I enjoyed it. I didn't really feel the hype from the trailer but overall it was another enjoyable MCU movie. I loved the Stan Lee tributes they had for the film, it was so touching. I thought Brie Larson's acting was going to hurt the movie, but after finishing it, I was left wanting to see more of her. So I'll leave the casting choice as a "need to see more" basis. The de-aging Agent Fury and Coulson was great. Good to see Coulson back in the MCU movies after so many years! Goose I felt was the MVP of the film.

Now onto the spoilers:

The biggest surprise for me was the energy core on Mar-vell's ship being the Tesseract! That was such a nice tough and was not expecting it. Great way to tie in this continuous universe. Although I am a bit confusing with the timeline of the Tesseract.

After Captain America 1, Howard Stark retrieved it and gave to the SHIELD, so Mar-vell took it to experiment on it? and then between the end of this movie, where Goose cough it up in 1995 all way to Thor 1 end credits in 2011, there was no activity with it? Fury just never thought about using it?

Then we fast forward from all the events of Avengers 1 to Infinity War?

I enjoyed the Pre-Guradians 1' Ronan and Korath appearances.

The biggest fear that I have is that Endgame will have Captain Marvel doing all the work. We need to see the Avengers as a team. I don't want Carol to just OP'ing everything in sight, hell she's more powerful than Thor and Hulk!

Last edited by raden238; March 8th, 2019 at 05:39 PM.
raden238 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 05:34 PM #532
> Trey-El
Red Scorpion Ranger

Trey-El
Red Scorpion Ranger

Really? The way it's described in Avengers (from memory) is that they were discovered together, at the same time. This is why a lot of SHIELD's work on The Tesseract is in very early stages, and them poking around with it for the first time is what alerts Thanos to it's presence.
Nope, after Cap's crash, Howard and his crew went looking for the wreckage, but they only found the Tesseract at the bottom of the sea after following it's energy trail

raden238 wrote: View Post

The biggest fear that I have is that Endgame will have Captain Marvel doing all the work. We need to see the Avengers as a team. I don't want Carol to just OP'ing everything in sight, hell she's more powerful than Thor and Hulk!
Same here. I don't want Carol VS Thanos being the equivalent to Superman VS Stepphenwolf
Trey-El is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 06:07 PM #533
> laterdayz13
classic

laterdayz13
classic

At the end of Captain America you see young Howard Stark finding it so they’ve had it for a long time. They started weaponizing it as a result of what went down in Thor though. They were telling everyone it was about energy research and from what we see in Captain Marvel it apparently was being used for that at one point. Not anymore obviously because SHIELD lies lol.
Old March 8th, 2019, 06:08 PM #534
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

If The Tesseract powered the engine that gave Carol powers, is she also powered by The Tesseract? Can she teleport?
I really liked that aspect.

It proves, without needing any further explanation, that Carol is in the weight-class of beings like Thanos or Thor. When the engine exploded, she was exposed to some of that power. The Infinity Stones have infinite power in them, so even being exposed to just a fraction of that raw power made her absurdly powerful.

She's not powered by the Terresect, she's just using some of its power that she absorbed, same with Wanda and the mind stone.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 08:39 PM #535
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

It's been explained that the ending of Cap 1 had Howard find the Tesseract, but Thor reveals they've had trouble getting any progress with it until Selvig starts working on it, and that leads to the Avengers.

Maybe she does have some teleportation power. That'd be a heck of a twist to show her powers grow and explain how she came back. Plus it could mean that's how they get to Thanos, Carol opens a portal.

The real surprise is Ben Mendelssohn NOT being the piece-of-shit baddie we were all expecting.
To be fair, the guy he was impersonating at SHIELD when he got to do a bunch of scenes without makeup was probably Hydra.

They weren't at early stages of Tesseract study, just early stages of bringing back Tesseract weapons like Hydra had. Because Thor made the shadow cabinet afraid of aliens and they wanted to have higher defenses in place.

Peter wrote: View Post

She's not powered by the Terresect, she's just using some of its power that she absorbed, same with Wanda and the mind stone.
I'd be shocked if that didn't play a part in it. They have several people who were altered by the Gems, that could be part of a plan in the end. Maybe the final play is Infinity Watch, someone with ties to each stone is able to take them from Thanos in the end.

There was a brief glimpse showing that as Carol powered up so did the Tesseract in the lunchbox.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 09:10 PM #536
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

Just got back from seeing it. It's a perfectly serviceable Marvel movie.

Like mentioned earlier, Carol unlocking her true powers kind of turned the last 30 minutes into a bit of a slog. Like, okay, we get it. Cut to the chase. Show us how this ends. You've effectively completed this story.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised with her line delivery. People were making it sound like Brie Larson had no emotion but she was just really dry. I liked that.
Cuchulainn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 09:30 PM #537
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

I mean her dry line delivery wouldn’t have been bad as the whole “control your emotions” would have written it off but when characters acted like she went ballistic was kind of a “when that happen.”

I mean the whole powers could have been a simple “so emotional you find nirvana” but it didn’t seem like she ever lost control.
Allio is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 10:19 PM #538
> GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

I mean her dry line delivery wouldn’t have been bad as the whole “control your emotions” would have written it off but when characters acted like she went ballistic was kind of a “when that happen.”

I mean the whole powers could have been a simple “so emotional you find nirvana” but it didn’t seem like she ever lost control.
I saw her having trouble controlling her emotions throughout the whole movie, really. But that's not a bad thing, it was just her struggling with her identity mostly.
GalaxyRed is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:01 PM #539
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Well just got back from seeing Captain Marvel and...

...it was a Marvel movie. Just...a Marvel movie. It almost feels like Marvel's Greatest HIts at this point, only with a female lead. Brie was passable but really the only ones who stole the movie were Samuel Jackson and the two Monica Rambeaus...really, why didn't we get Photon instead?

The Skrulls were cool too but...really it feels weird when the movie is basically "white girl beats up green aliens...now she beats up blue aliens..."

Though it was fun seeing the mid-credits with the survivors of Wakanda with the pager.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:25 PM #540
> ultrakill
JabroniePictures.com

ultrakill
JabroniePictures.com

Didn't think it was bad but didn't think it was great either. It took a while for me to get into it. I fell asleep during the few couple minutes so I think it deserves a second watch for me to enjoy it. I do think the movie as a whole is passable in terms of the overall arc of the Avengers.

Also, big kudos to the studio for that tremendous Marvel opening tag.
ultrakill is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
brie larson, captain marvel, marvel studios, not an old woman, not elder abuse