Home Menu

Menu

Old May 19th, 2019, 01:03 PM #1
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

CW's Nancy Drew

Hey, so I think it was reported before but searching didn't come up with a topic yet. CW will be doing a Nancy Drew series Wednesdays this fall. And we have a trailer for it posted the other day. Didn't really think much of it till I saw it on youtube today, figured I'd give it a look.

Serious mystery series. I mean no surprise, obviously it's Nancy Drew. I never read the books or anything, but the trailer looked potentially fun. The only issue I see is a sorta similar issue with Riverdale and other mystery series. First seasons usually do quite well, but obviously there has to be a new mystery every season. Mind, not every mystery series stumbles at this but some do. Some people have made it known how they feel about Riverdale since S1. Nancy Drew might not have that issue, but we'll see. The trailer seems standard enough. Standard cast of characters, creepy mystery afoot, etc etc.

I laughed at one of the youtube comments about CW eventually doing a dark and gritty Scooby-Doo series. Cause actually, if not for Scooby and the budget needed for him, I could actually see CW doing that, heh.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 02:08 PM #2
> shoujoaifan01
Power Ranger

shoujoaifan01
Power Ranger

I cant say I'm thrilled CW is doing it, since Riverdale is only good for joke fodder on youtube now, and the superhero shows not named Legends or Black Lightning or Supergirl S4 typically end up settling into a rut (and even BL S2 dragged for awhile.) THAT SAID....it looked fine, and honestly, considering how much Nancy Drew typically entices responses of:

1. Who?
2. Oh yeah, those corny ol' books my grandma liked
3. Oh yeah, I love those video games they stopped making, when's the next one coming out?
4.. Yay! (Finally!)

While WB has a bad habit until very recently of focusing mostly on Superman & Batman, that just means other DC characters need the same amount of love while still giving the same to Supes & Bats. Kids won't care about the superheroes "They're parents grew up with" if they themselves don't grow up with the same stuff, but with new shows (People who hate 80s reboots: Hate them on execution, not on premise alone). There's a reason Guardians of the Galaxy & Ant-Man are popular now..........they know they exist, people can finally discovered because they're IN something for them to watch.

As it stands the last Nancy Drew show was in the 90s, marketing for the NEW books must suck if people who very, very often surprised when they hear that new books are thing (not a year missed in almost a century folks), and the premise alone is enough that I'm surprised a kids' cartoon hasn't been made before, since Scooby cribbed from her, not just Abott & Costello, or Dobie Gillis.....and only most people have heard the first 2 guys, not the third, for the same reasons as above.

Worst comes to worst this sucks, runs for a few seasons, and gets rebooted in 10-20 years somwhere else. Best comes to Bess this ends up good, and either way this gives more attention to a character who's older than Batman, and has been inspiring kids for generations, with too many lawyers, doctors, etc. admitting to her been being just that.
shoujoaifan01 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 02:55 PM #3
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

sylarking wrote: View Post

Your answer is confusing. How the public love for Batman and Superman have to do with Nancy Drew?
If I can hazard a guess, I think the point was that generations nowadays either don't know Nancy Drew, or only vaguely know it as those old books their parents or grandparents really at this point, read when they were young. I mean hell I knew of the books but never read them and they still seemed old when I was young. Though for me it's the Boxcar Children books, and those are mostly forgotten about aside from the two animated movies they've done.

Anyways, point is that by taking something that's considered WAY dated and bringing into new light it allows kids to actually grow up with it. It might not be the Nancy Drew their grandparents grew up with, but it'll be the one they grew up with. Like with Guardians and Ant-Man and such. And really most superhero shows or movies.

Doesn't mean it'll always be successful, but it is what it is. It's kind of the idea behind some of the revival shows or even reboots nowadays. Like Girl Meets World; didn't really work out, but the idea was to get a new generation in on what was a big hit in the 90's by making, basically, a version that was more tailored to them now, or at least close enough. Same with this Nancy Drew. Which is really easy to do, as it's a young woman solving mysteries, so it's an easy premise to take and plant in a modern setting from where it began back in the day.

I will say I did enjoy the scene in the trailer when the cop(who I know from stuff but never remember so will look it up) was describing our main young characters and then calls Nancy by name, and is asked and comments how she was a pain in his ass back in the day. It is amusing running with the idea that she was solving mysteries as a kid, now is grown and likely gets roped into whatever is going on. Plus it could be fun for plot purposes if there's some mystery she never solved, or repercussions from the past that come back to bite her now. But the scene was fun.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 02:59 PM #4
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

It certainly looks interesting. I was a fan of the original books back when I was a kid, so I'm a bit familiar with curious if any aspects of them show up. I know they're following the Riverdale formula with a new mystery every season, but part of me wishes they would have gone with the new mystery of the week thing. But hey we gotta cater to the Netflix-binging crowd once the season's over.
GrumpyBookworm is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 04:02 PM #5
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

Oh how Betty Cooper would love this
toejammer is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 19th, 2019, 04:57 PM #6
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Though I will say, I'm disappointed that they didn't go for a non-binary/more butch type actress for George. In the original novels and even in the rebooted version in the mid-2000's George was a very tomboy-is/butch character. From the trailer it seems like they're just going for a rebel-without-a-cause type thing and I think that's slightly disappointing.
GrumpyBookworm is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 11:16 PM #7
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

I liked this better when it was Sarah Shahi.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote