> takatomon
Power Ranger

takatomon
Power Ranger

American Idol Discussion Thread

Season 13 is coming up! Jan 15/16.
Judges Panel: Harry Connick Jr., Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez

Hey guys!

I did a thorough search and I saw multiple threads of specific seasons of American Idol but I figured I would make a general one so we can talk about the seasons in general. This thread will most likely have spoilers so I guess read at your risk.

I'm really excited for upcoming season 13. The judges panel looks great, there are a few contestants I'm looking forward it.

Thoughts? Speak up!
takatomon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:49 PM #2
> ⚡Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

That judges panel needs more bizarre.
Multiple Man is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 09:37 AM #3
> nintenfan3424
Making Strong Look Reigns

nintenfan3424

Cannot wait for this trainwreck of a season.

What's going to be taller, ratings or Seacrest's height?
nintenfan3424 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 10:48 PM #4
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Recently the New York Times spoke with FOX's Kevin Reilly and David Hill talk about recovering from the judges drama from last year.

And this is very true about long-running shows such as this one.

But what exactly is possible with a fading hit in its 13th year? “As it continues to get older, you just kind of want it to age gracefully,” Mr. Reilly said. He noted that other aging reality shows like “Survivor” and “The Bachelor” had seen their ratings erode and managed to “flatten out to a level of audience that kind of sustains.”

“Our goal is to do a good job and keep millions of core fans who love ‘Idol,’ just keep them engaged and sort of flatten it out,” he said.

That doesn’t sound much like the cultural phenomenon the show once was. But Mr. Reilly said the time had come for realism. “We’ll be down again this season, just naturally because of the marketplace,” he said. “In a reasonable decline, I will be thrilled. Will ‘Idol” continue to be the centerpiece, the tent pole, of the network? Will it be on as many hours as it has been in the past?

“Perhaps not. We’ll see where we are after this season. I just want it to be a vibrant, alive franchise that people love * for as long as it can go.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/ar...lent.html?_r=1
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:40 PM #5
> NvDiSrEdSrT
Power Ranger

NvDiSrEdSrT
Power Ranger

I think it's been a long time coming. This show is just not the same anymore. time to move on
NvDiSrEdSrT is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:58 AM #6
> PanamaRanger
Twitter: @PanamaRanger

eBay
PanamaRanger

eBay

I honestly think that this will be Idol's last season. If ratings don't improve (I mean, they ARE expecting a ratings drop) I see Idol being canceled and X Factor being moved to spring on 2015. Maybe this is exactly what Fox is waiting to see: How Idol performs overall this season to let X Factor have its place. Just face it: X Factor offers a wider range of contestants than Idol.
PanamaRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:56 PM #7
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

PanamaRanger wrote: View Post

I see Idol being canceled and X Factor being moved to spring on 2015. Maybe this is exactly what Fox is waiting to see: How Idol performs overall this season to let X Factor have its place. Just face it: X Factor offers a wider range of contestants than Idol.
But I think the audience knowing exactly what to expect has given Idol its staying power. It's the boring but safe show.

While The X Factor is the glitzy but boring show.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 04:36 PM #8
> ⚡Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

I thought "X Factor" was kind of awful. Couldn't stand the constant music, the look-at-me editing, or any of that extravagant stuff, just junking up the show. Also, it's redundant, especially on Fox.

I honestly think the only real reason Fox wanted the show is because they knew that, if they didn't buy it, someone else would have, and it might have stolen too much attention from the show they actually like- "American Idol."
Old January 15th, 2014, 07:34 PM #9
> nintenfan3424

nintenfan3424

Multiple Man wrote: View Post

I thought "X Factor" was kind of awful. Couldn't stand the constant music, the look-at-me editing, or any of that extravagant stuff, just junking up the show. Also, it's redundant, especially on Fox.

I honestly think the only real reason Fox wanted the show is because they knew that, if they didn't buy it, someone else would have, and it might have stolen too much attention from the show they actually like- "American Idol."
Maybe they should've let NBC have X Factor, because then NBC would've never picked up The Voice.

The show is on right now, and all this positivity and seriousness is making me sick to my stomach.
Old January 16th, 2014, 01:03 PM #10
> PanamaRanger

eBay
PanamaRanger

eBay

nintenfan3424 wrote: View Post

Maybe they should've let NBC have X Factor, because then NBC would've never picked up The Voice.

The show is on right now, and all this positivity and seriousness is making me sick to my stomach.
Both of you are right and I already said it on the X Factor thread. The WORST thing Simon Cowell could have done is staying with Fox. I mean. I have watched 3 versions of X Factor other than US and believe me, I have absolutely no idea what the hell is Fox doing with X Factor US. Just look at the UK show. It's brilliant. Fox (paid by Simon Fuller) will NEVER let X Factor outshine Idol.
PanamaRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 01:57 PM #11
> takatomon
Power Ranger

takatomon
Power Ranger

So how about the actual show?

I could care less of ratings dropping, I mean Idol is pretty much suffering from the whole backlash from last season but I feel that despite ratings dropping, it's just a really enjoyable show.

Harry Connick Jr. is an awesome judge and I think if anything will invite fans back into the show, stabilize the ratings and be a show that's returning to form. Say what you want about Idol but I'm freaking stoked at the amount of talent, the wonderful chemistry these judges have and the overall mood is just so much better.

So, as for Jillian Jensen, her voice definitely improved and also, absolutely NO tears. No association with X-Factor...and she was given just enough screentime to get a taste of what her vocals are.

I strongly recommend people give Idol another chance and see the difference this season really has been.
takatomon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:39 PM #12
> ShyRanger
Morphinominal

eBay
ShyRanger
Morphinominal

eBay

Keith, Jennifer and Harry on the panel is a refreshing change and kinda reminds me of when The Voice coaches talk/joke amongst each other. I like the direction they've gone with really focusing on the contestants dreams and Idol journey more than ever, while limiting the ones who can't sing. The occasional not-serious auditions keep things fun which is something I've always liked about the show. Also I love the usage of double and triple split-screen.

Have you guys seen the breakdown following the auditions? Some contestants will be called back to perform again in "Hollywood or Home" (the ones the judges aren't too sure about I guess), there will be a 2 day workshop with Randy Jackson, and voting starts when the top 15 guys and 15 girls perform, which will then become the top 13.

And this is definitely the first time since the early days that doesn't have past winners shown anywhere.

Last edited by ShyRanger; January 17th, 2014 at 11:50 PM.
ShyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 02:01 AM #13
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

ShyRanger wrote: View Post

And this is definitely the first time since the early days that doesn't have past winners shown anywhere.
Nikki counts.

>__________>
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:53 AM #14
> nintenfan3424

nintenfan3424

Primo Haim Saban wrote: View Post

Nikki counts.

>__________>
Is Nikki a winner? No

by the way The Top 31 have been decided, 16 Boys and 15 Girls, we'll decide the last boy through out of two people making it 30
Old January 18th, 2014, 08:20 AM #15
> ⚡Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

This definitely feels like the "no BS" season. They've really pulled back on the stupid auditions where the producers obviously know they're not going to Hollywood but they send them through anyway for the weirdness of it. It seems like there's a little less running narration from Ryan on every single thing happening, which I wasn't a fan of. I also really love that, aside from the annoying montages, they don't do the "coming up..." bumpers anymore. I never liked that. Always skipped it (when possible) or put it on mute, because I have no interest in being told what I'm going to watch only a few moments before I watch it again. For the most part, it's just a pure stream of new and substantive content. Best presentation in so many years.
Old January 18th, 2014, 10:43 AM #16
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

nintenfan3424 wrote: View Post

Is Nikki a winner? No
That is correct. Nikki McKibbin came in 3rd place in the first season. It's amazing how quickly time has gone by.

Last edited by ranger_scout; January 18th, 2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old January 18th, 2014, 02:57 PM #17
> Knight Rider
Banned

Knight Rider
Banned

Harry needs to get his bitch ass the hell out. Can't stand him. Like wtf were they thinking with this awful selection. At least Nicki/Randy/Mariah kept it real.

You're mistaken my dude. The XFactor was way more enjoyable than this season of Idol by far.

And no, that is incorrect nobody else would've bought TXF anyway.
Knight Rider is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:26 PM #18
> Knight Rider
Banned

Knight Rider
Banned

Just great what we don't need right now is another TWGWTG. Syndrome is officially back. And this panel sucks man.
Old February 5th, 2014, 09:58 AM #19
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Wow, now we have a former contestant entering the world of politics. Film, TV, and theatre makes sense, but I never thought someone would try politics.

Musician Clay Aiken announced his plan to run for Congress in a video posted on his campaign website Tuesday.

Aiken, a Democrat, takes viewers through a tour of his early life in his childhood home in North Carolina. He talks about how his mom had to seek refuge in this home, a friend’s, to protect them from Aiken’s violent father. The former American Idol star uses that anecdote to discuss how he wants to help struggling families as a member of Congress. “I’m not a politician,” Aiken says with a chuckle. “I don’t ever want to be one. But I do want to help bring back, at least to my corner of North Carolina, the idea that someone can go to Washington to represent all the people, whether they voted for you or not.”
http://news-briefs.ew.com/2014/02/05...ress-campaign/
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:20 AM #20
> Knight Rider
Banned

Knight Rider
Banned

LOL. Wow...