VIP Rider

Very sci-fi channel-ish
The Return Of... is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:49 AM #22
> CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

I will say this...I`d be down for seeing JYB,Jason Faunt or Ciara Hanna return for a full season of PR like JDF did in Dino Thunder.
CheckeredRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:51 AM #23
> Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

OmegaRangerRed wrote: View Post

Let's be realistic...that's what we are to them. 10 years ago you could get an autograph and picture with them and still have change from a $20 bill. Now, you are paying more than some of us making in a full day's work.
This x 100

This isn't a Power Rangers issue, either. The concept of "fandom" has grown substantially over the past decade. When JDF started going cons, geek culture wasn't as mainstream, most of the people attending his events were strictly fans.

The definition of "fan" has expanded to "people who see a picture on their timeline and get hyped". Instead of 100 passionate people paying $30, they have 1,000 people paying $300. It's a no brainer.

There's a reason for the constant stream of exclusive, limited merch. There's a reason that stuff wasn't being made in 2007, when it was just a few hundred obsessives. These cashgrabs aren't an accident.

Power Rangers 'fans' in 2019 would pay more for limited edition garbage than those Make A Wish banners in 2007.
Zeo Cereal is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:56 AM #24
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

Yep. As insufferable as these dime-a-dozen fan movie Kickstarters are, the only reason they keep happening is because they make money. Fans are just as responsible for it as they are. People gotta wise up to the grift eventually or this will keep happening.
Cuchulainn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:12 PM #25
> Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

People gotta wise up to the grift eventually or this will keep happening.
Realistically, how do you walk that back?

There are always new people entering fandom, who are looking to indulge for the first time. As prices go up, as items become more luxurious, how do you break that cycle? If fresh blood expects such high prices, they're more willing to pay. It doesn't blindside like it might to an old timer. You don't walk into a Ferrari dealership and gasp at the prices.

Hasbro knows this, Boom knows this, Bandai knows this. I think it'll take a big cultural change before that changes.
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:22 PM #26
> Shagohad12
Power Ranger

Shagohad12
Power Ranger

Man, those armor suits look like bootleg Clone Trooper armor.
Shagohad12 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:22 PM #27
> ⚡Dukemon

Dukemon

As I'm at work, I haven't watched the trailer yet.

Honestly, I've never seen it as an issue for these kinds of things to exist.

Yeah, it sucks that The Order is a flaming trash bag, (Lost $50 on it myself),
but, that doesn't mean that these kinds of things can't turn out something awesome.

If you have expendable cash...do as you will, but buyer beware.
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:22 PM #28
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Even if it raises enough, it might get shut down by Hasbro loooong before any camera turns on.
RitoRevolto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:26 PM #29
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

Realistically, how do you walk that back?

I think it'll take a big cultural change before that changes.
Oh, I'm not saying it'll happen any time soon. Just that it's necessary.
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:26 PM #30
> thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

I'm still angry about the order. There needs to be some repercussions for when stuff like this goes wrong. Karen Ashley, nor anyone involved with that project has paid a penalty for taking 150k and doing nothing with it.

Now this is managed by BitS who have proved they can do something so I'm not necessarily saying they wouldn't make it if it doesn't get funded but fans need to turn their back on this to show we aren't a cash machine.

We adored them for what they did and bought to us as children and we are being abused in this current age. I agree, over the last decade, geek culture and fandom have exploded in a way that's spread more like a disease than a cure.
thunderzordpower is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:31 PM #31
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

thunderzordpower wrote: View Post

I'm still angry about the order. There needs to be some repercussions for when stuff like this goes wrong. Karen Ashley, nor anyone involved with that project has paid a penalty for taking 150k and doing nothing with it.

Now this is managed by BitS who have proved they can do something so I'm not necessarily saying they wouldn't make it if it doesn't get funded but fans need to turn their back on this to show we aren't a cash machine.

We adored them for what they did and bought to us as children and we are being abused in this current age. I agree, over the last decade, geek culture and fandom have exploded in a way that's spread more like a disease than a cure.
Even if it would get made if it were funded, they set their goal laughably high. Ain't nobody gonna pony up $500k for this thing. That's silly.
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:31 PM #32
> Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

To be fair, Karan Ashley isn't producing this film.
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:32 PM #33
> Kyle16
Figuring it out

Kyle16
Figuring it out

This will not be the order, batinthesun has consistently produced content already, they will pull this off one way or another.
Kyle16 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:37 PM #34
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Kyle16 wrote: View Post

This will not be the order, batinthesun has consistently produced content already, they will pull this off one way or another.
But if they don't get 500k doing this, they don't get a dime.
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:38 PM #35
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

thunderzordpower wrote: View Post

The problem with crowdfunding is there's a discrepancy between what it is and what people think it is.

Crowdfunding is and has always been a form of investment. And like most investments, there's always the risk of it failing. Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms usually have a disclaimer saying "You are investing in a product, not buying one."

That's not to say crowdfunding platforms are entirely faultless. They know full well they could be a bit clearer that you aren't guaranteed to get what you backed, but that would scare away potential backers and income. And Kickstarter evidently doesn't do a good enough job illustrating to people who run the programs "Hey, this is kind of a complex thing and you should have all your ducks in a row" because they get the money anyway. At the end of the day they don't have to implement accountability because it's all in the fine print and they would only lose money if they did it.

Kyle16 wrote:
There's a first time for everything.
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:38 PM #36
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
#RiderTimesUp

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
#RiderTimesUp

Shagohad12 wrote: View Post

Man, those armor suits look like bootleg Clone Trooper armor.
Yeah, I'm interested to know how many people supporting this project (financially or even just spiritually) are actually into the aesthetics of it.

I think it's kinda cute to see Frank and Bosch back together, and Faunt always gives a consistent performance, but it's all so... typical, ya know? Dystopian "gritty, darker... Netflix-y? (Gotta love Johnny)" Power Rangers rehash. In a world, and even in this video itself, where everything gets compared to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I still haven't seen anyone in all those years focus on the fact that the Marvel movies are always DIFFERENT. Give us a heist, or a psychological thriller, or an out-and-out horror movie, it doesn't always have to be HUDs and edgelord conflict. Hell, Kamen Rider has made seasons feel completely different from each other despite having obligatory merchandising constructs, so we can see it's not hard to diversify.

At the end of the day, I think the backers are more desperate to be a part of the lives of their literal childhood heroes than actually appreciating the product it is that they're backing. Anybody else is starring in this, and the first thing they'd post is "bootleg Power Rangers lmao die".
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:43 PM #37
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Video now up on Youtube

Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:54 PM #38
> thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

Funding a kickstarter fan film aside...

I agree with Akaprimo.
The concept is so stock. JDF knows how lucky he was with MMPR given he almost launched VR Troopers as "Cybertron" which I'm sure he realises would have sucked. I'm surprised he thinks doing another Ameritoku thing would be successful, regardless of how much it's riffing on MMPR. Non-canon is non-canon and let's face it, even Tommy hasn't been able to save a series since Forever Red so if it was linked to Power Rangers, it still wouldn't be good.
thunderzordpower is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:54 PM #39
> RiffRanger
Justice For No One

RiffRanger
Justice For No One

I think whether or not it actually happens is irrelevant. They’re asking for an obscene amount of money to make this...thing...that’s nothing more than more Tommy worship. There is no excuse for needing half a million dollars. If people want to stop being treated like ATMs they need to stop being ATMs. Especially considering we have zero good faith to go on from past crowdfunding projects, I would sincerely hope people would be a little more cautious before handing over even more money.
RiffRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:00 PM #40
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
#RiderTimesUp

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
#RiderTimesUp

RiffRanger wrote: View Post

Especially considering we have zero good faith to go on from past crowdfunding projects, I would sincerely hope people would be a little more cautious before handing over even more money.
As much as I believe everyone, I would like some clarity on that fact.

Does Bat in the Sun specifically have a history of abandoning projects? They're such a well-known name in the field, as opposed to most of the random PR fan filmmakers.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
ranger fandom atm, space dumpster fire