Home Menu

Menu

Old March 11th, 2019, 06:43 AM #581
> daaarn
Power Ranger

daaarn
Power Ranger

Allio wrote: View Post

I think my major problem of the film is just that it was an average film that was bogged down by a poor third act. for something that would ultimately be a 6-7/10 the third act brings it down.

Like I didn't hate it, I just felt disappointed.
I wouldnt go so far as to say it "disappointed" me, but it definitely made me feel like they left a lot on the table. Again, enjoyable movie, but it didn't blow me away. Felt more like a Phase 1 or 2 movie to me as far as it not breaking any new ground and it really just being a set up.

Also, this film felt very short. It still clocked in at over 2 hours, but it just felt short. Everything just felt rushed. I try not to think about the timing of events in a movie [that's a necessary suspension of disbelief for pacing purposes], but really, from the time she crash lands on Earth to her leaving again, it's really only been like what, 2 days? I'm sure I'm not accounting for all the time, but the fact that Carol wore the same civilian clothes the whole time does make it seem like the timeline was very compressed.

Anyway, it was a solid first step, but it wasn't really anymore memorable than a lot of Marvel's earlier films to me.
daaarn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 06:50 AM #582
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

Yeah, I hated this movie and I don't care if I'm labelled a "hater" or a "troll" for having a different opinion..
And you shouldn't care. Because having a unique opinoin could actually mean you are a human being.
Allio is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 11th, 2019, 07:30 AM #583
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

daaarn wrote: View Post

I wouldnt go so far as to say it "disappointed" me, but it definitely made me feel like they left a lot on the table. Again, enjoyable movie, but it didn't blow me away. Felt more like a Phase 1 or 2 movie to me as far as it not breaking any new ground and it really just being a set up.

Also, this film felt very short. It still clocked in at over 2 hours, but it just felt short. Everything just felt rushed. I try not to think about the timing of events in a movie [that's a necessary suspension of disbelief for pacing purposes], but really, from the time she crash lands on Earth to her leaving again, it's really only been like what, 2 days? I'm sure I'm not accounting for all the time, but the fact that Carol wore the same civilian clothes the whole time does make it seem like the timeline was very compressed.

Anyway, it was a solid first step, but it wasn't really anymore memorable than a lot of Marvel's earlier films to me.
And see for me, I didn't think it was rushed at all, or felt short. It's kind of more like action films where everything happens over a quick period of time. She drops on Earth, and it's a race to find the professor or her core, etc etc. So yeah, I imagine it can come across as feeling more rushed. Fast paced, there that's what I was trying to say.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 09:27 AM #584
> daaarn
Power Ranger

daaarn
Power Ranger

Alitain wrote: View Post

And see for me, I didn't think it was rushed at all, or felt short. It's kind of more like action films where everything happens over a quick period of time. She drops on Earth, and it's a race to find the professor or her core, etc etc. So yeah, I imagine it can come across as feeling more rushed. Fast paced, there that's what I was trying to say.
Yeah, fast paced seems like a good descriptor. What I mean about the movie feeling short was that by the time they got to the climax, I was like, "already?" I literally took a look at the time to make sure we were already near the 2 hr mark. I don't think that's necessarily bad, but it was unexpected. I guess the last couple of movies I watched tended to drag on and on while this one kinda just went for the finish line.
daaarn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 11:04 AM #585
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

A clearer look at
The Endgame Suit
has appeared online:

Spoony Spoonerson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 11:25 AM #586
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

I always assumed her powers would prevent her from aging. It'd be kind of a shame if she has to be aged up in all the sequels. Maybe they'll make more prequels?
Poweranimals is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 11:37 AM #587
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

I mean they kind of sequel baited with ronan
Allio is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:05 PM #588
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Yeah, I hated this movie and I don't care if I'm labelled a "hater" or a "troll" for having a different opinion.
You also hate the majority of the MCU films. So yeah for the most part I never expect you to ever like a movie by them. I know you do like a few of them. So you're not a hater or a troll.
christopherjohn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:11 PM #589
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

christopherjohn wrote: View Post

You also hate the majority of the MCU films. So yeah for the most part I never expect you to ever like a movie by them. I know you do like a few of them. So you're not a hater or a troll.
Thanks for understanding, lines are just a little more blurred these days because of the culture war thing where sides are being taken. Now people may be jumping on a specific bandwagon and speaking out against the movies for the wrong reasons as well as the right ones, so people like me can get lumped in with the wrong sort by people who don't follow my history with the films and who want to paint all critics of the film with the same brush.
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:18 PM #590
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Yeah, I hated this movie and I don't care if I'm labelled a "hater" or a "troll" for having a different opinion.
You don't really help with past instances of you getting overly defensive about your opinions whenever anyone chooses to critique them.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:23 PM #591
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

In the long run, I feel this will be a cultural 'success' the way Last Jedi was a 'success', it'll make it's money but it'll do nothing to quell the culture war going on.
Only the culture can quell the culture war.

Attacking mere marketing means the movie itself never stood a chance in those eyes.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:28 PM #592
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

Only the culture can quell the culture war.

Attacking mere marketing means the movie itself never stood a chance in those eyes.
It was kind of both the marketing and the medium being attacked in equal measure, and that's just as on the medium's shoulders for weaponizing the message after people misinterpreted things. Everyone's been dicks about it, there is no "right side" here.
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:35 PM #593
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

FET-Kun wrote: View Post

Yes, because the box office turn out of a movie, and it's overall quality... are always 1:1.
Pretty sure the post wasn't in reference to the movie's quality, just the trolls and weirdos obsessed with wanting the movie to fail financially for reasons other than the actual movie.
Cuchulainn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:37 PM #594
> CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

Pretty sure the post wasn't in reference to the movie's quality, just the trolls and weirdos obsessed with wanting the movie to fail financially for reasons other than the actual movie.
That`s exactly who I was going after
CheckeredRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 01:29 PM #595
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

Personally I'm fucking furious they dragged Alita into it.

That now anyone who didn't see the movie are now going to think of it as "that movie that was used to push questionable agendas of bigoted trolls".
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 01:32 PM #596
> laterdayz13
classic

laterdayz13
classic

For me the moment someone who didn’t like a movie uses ‘feminist’ or ‘SJW’ as a argument is the moment I write them off as a troll and a hater. It’s fun to respectfully discuss and debate the merits of something but if that weak shit is your reasoning I’ll definitely say something. I personally just have way more respect for someone with genuine beef with something than I do someone who just feels threatened by a strong woman. I’m just happy a lot of people are willing to call out that behavior these days.

Last edited by laterdayz13; March 11th, 2019 at 01:39 PM.
laterdayz13 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 02:43 PM #597
> GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

laterdayz13 wrote: View Post

For me the moment someone who didn’t like a movie uses ‘feminist’ or ‘SJW’ as a argument is the moment I write them off as a troll and a hater. It’s fun to respectfully discuss and debate the merits of something but if that weak shit is your reasoning I’ll definitely say something. I personally just have way more respect for someone with genuine beef with something than I do someone who just feels threatened by a strong woman. I’m just happy a lot of people are willing to call out that behavior these days.
Yeah, this is something I've been noticing a lot. I try to watch a movie for the movie itself, not some sort of "agenda" that people seem to see. If the movie is good to me, then it's good. Doesn't have to do with who's in the movie, or if it's about some "agenda". It's just a good movie. This movie wasn't a bad movie, but it also wasn't really a great movie to me. I basically see it better than the worst MCU films (like Thor: the Dark World, and Iron Man 2), but that isn't a bad thing, since I've seen all of the MCU films as objectively good for what they were accomplishing. None of them were so bad that I can't stand watching them. I'd rewatch all of the MCU films, even the ones I feel aren't as good as the others, because they were still good in their own rights. If people see that as me furthering some stupid agenda, that's their business. What I don't like is when people question others' opinions on the subject, like they have some "right" to say that their opinion is better than yours.
GalaxyRed is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 03:30 PM #598
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

Kevin Smith shares his reaction to Stan Lee's cameo.

GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 03:34 PM #599
> John Pannozzi
Power Ranger

John Pannozzi
Power Ranger

Interesting in-universe implications re: Stan Lee's cameo in this movie.

Oh, and here's another anachronism:

If Carol left Earth in 1989, how could she have experience playing Street Fighter II, which came out in 1991?

Otherwise, still a pretty good movie.
John Pannozzi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 03:36 PM #600
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

John Pannozzi wrote: View Post

and here's another anachronism:

If Carol left Earth in 1989, how could she have experience playing Street Fighter II, which came out in 1991?

And the version shown was the Championship Edition, which didnt come out until 1992.
GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
brie larson, captain marvel, marvel studios, not an old woman, not elder abuse