Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2019, 09:58 AM #561
Mr.Karate's Avatar
> Mr.Karate
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 607
Mr.Karate
Power Ranger
Mr.Karate's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 607



laterdayz13 wrote: View Post

I think itís been retconned to Coulson just humoring her. Pretty sure they used the name SHIELD in the Ant-Man flashback and that takes place before Captain Marvel. Plus, it obviously spells out SHIELD haha

I love the difference between younger Fury and older Fury. Tough guy but still optimistic at that point in his life. 20+ years on the job, working his way up to becoming the boss and in the process the job sucked the life out of him. It makes a lot of sense, happens to a lot of people. Iím hoping we see modern Fury and modern Carol team up.
The MCU has been going on for over 10 years now. Unfortunately some retconning was bound to occur at some point the longer it went on.
Mr.Karate is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:03 AM #562
Arkvoodle's Avatar
> Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,956
eBay
Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!
Arkvoodle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,956
eBay



So



Who else saw the She-Ra parallels?

Think about it- woman captured & brainwashed to work for a fascist army without knowing its true intentions only to rebel against her upbringing & discover untold powers in the process?

Arkvoodle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:20 AM #563
CheckeredRanger's Avatar
> CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,972
CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone
CheckeredRanger's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,972



So,the movie seems to be doing quite well at the box office.Therefore,I would like to issue the following statement to all the clickbait YouTube douchebags and trolls online..
CheckeredRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (9)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:25 AM #564
Poweranimals's Avatar
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 35,620
Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!
Poweranimals's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 35,620



I always knew the Kree were corrupt but I didn't realize that the Skrull were actually the good guys.
Poweranimals is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:59 AM #565
GoldAnyRanger's Avatar
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,057
eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms
GoldAnyRanger's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,057
eBay



Well
, I guess we wont be getting a Secret Invasion after all, unless there's a change in Skrull Leadership between 1995 and the present.

Ronan never got to go back for Carol, unless it happened in the 19 years between Captain Marvel and Guardians 1. Would be something to explore in the sequel.

So, Fury said he lost his eye because he trusted someone. I guess that's a matter of your point of view. Did he lose it because he trusted Goose not to hurt him? Or was he just saying that to maintain whatever cover story he has about the eye? Or just another thing retconned?
GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 12:45 PM #566
Xenotome's Avatar
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,345
Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
Xenotome's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,345



CheckeredRanger wrote: View Post

So,the movie seems to be doing quite well at the box office.Therefore,I would like to issue the following statement to all the clickbait YouTube douchebags and trolls online..
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...7/laughter.gif
But nobody wanted to see it. And the Rotten Tomatoes meter of people who wanted to see it was entirely accurate and not distorted by basement dwellers at all... no...
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 01:14 PM #567
Sadsmileyface's Avatar
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 24,983
eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.
Sadsmileyface's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 24,983
eBay



I was surprised to see the Tesseract. So that means Carol gets her powers from the Space stone, similar to how Witch gets hers from the Mind stone?
Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 10th, 2019, 01:53 PM #568
laterdayz13's Avatar
> laterdayz13
classic
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,124
laterdayz13
classic
laterdayz13's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,124



GoldAnyRanger wrote: View Post

Well
, I guess we wont be getting a Secret Invasion after all, unless there's a change in Skrull Leadership between 1995 and the present.

Ronan never got to go back for Carol, unless it happened in the 19 years between Captain Marvel and Guardians 1. Would be something to explore in the sequel.

So, Fury said he lost his eye because he trusted someone. I guess that's a matter of your point of view. Did he lose it because he trusted Goose not to hurt him? Or was he just saying that to maintain whatever cover story he has about the eye? Or just another thing retconned?
They can still do it. 20+ year difference from Captain Marvel and now. And Talos said there were still thousands scattered across the galaxy.

Also, Iím really surprised nobody caught Furyís line when he tells Goose ďIím trusting youĒ lol. Technically someone he trusted did do it lol.

But at the end of the day he just let everyone assume the details of what happened. That line in WS wasnít even true in the sense that he obviously trusted Coulson, Hill and The Avengers. You just canít take everything Fury says at face value .
laterdayz13 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 02:10 PM #569
Alitain's Avatar
> Alitain
God of Benevolence
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,999
Alitain
God of Benevolence
Alitain's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,999



Got back from seeing it today. I enjoyed it. I think at this point it's hard to really be amazed by the superhero movies. We've seen so many that they're just...well a genre of film. That isn't to say they can't be good and entertaining. Just that I think it's harder to look at a movie now and be blown away. I liked Captain Marvel, it was fun and told a solid story, had a twist, so yeah. It was a superhero film, and one I think was done well. I don't really get the complaints on Larson's acting, I'm in the boat that thought she did just fine. Most of the time she's in kind of conflict because of who she is as a person, and also how she's suppose to behave as a Kree warrior. So yeah, sometimes it's going to be a bit unemotional, but I don't think she was bad. Though I'm not sure I've seen her in anything beyond this and Skull Island, but I liked her in that too so yeah.

And oh man, the opening Marvel title being changed to show Stan Lee...that was an unexpected nice touch. Nice job Marvel.

Oh Goose, you silly tentacle-alien-kitty you. Actually with the way things were going I thought they were going to pull a gag on us with Fury's eye getting damaged a couple times but never actually losing it, and we'd somehow either get the story in another movie or just never get it. Funny it was by an alien cat. Also didn't really expect the Skrull to be the good guys. Clearly that's not a surprise to the more knowledgeable comic readers I guess, but definitely for me. My experience with Skrulls in the comics is just about being bad guys, so never had much drive to look into their history. Was interesting though, and I liked it especially because every marketing leading up to it painted them as the bad guys so it was something unexpected.

I know vaguely of the character of Monica Rambeau, quite vaguely, I'm curious if we'll see her show up in Endgame or more likely a Marvel 2. Actually I was kind of expecting her mother to die on the mission, then Carol leaves for 20 years and she'd come across Monica again now all grown up with a chip on her shoulder about Carol costing her her mom's life. Anyway. Young Fury and Coulson definitely looked good and I never not enjoy Clark Gregg as Coulson so even though it was a minor thing, it was still nice and glad again they got him back.

Oh man, Stan Lee's totally 90's cameo as himself...I'm assuming he probably managed a cameo for Endgame before well...his end came right? I hadn't looked into it to see if there was some kinda article about it or not. Though if his last cameo had been in this movie, playing himself, that would've been rather fitting.

Otherwise yeah, I thought it was a fun movie. I figured Yon-Rogg(Law) knew more than he was letting on about Carol's history, but being the sorta villain was fun, as I mentioned about. I could've done without hearing "I'm Just a Girl" play during that fight against her former teammates though, but I just don't like that song and honestly it felt too...forced girl powery? Not exactly a good way to phrase it, but sorta like that especially when nothing in that scene felt like it was ever about gender. Which I applaud the film for. Carol was just a kick ass person, it wasn't really about her gender or women vs men or anything. Though, the end with Yon-Rogg did feel almost like they were trying to make that point with the "I don't have to prove myself to anybody" bit. But at the same time, given how things have been in media lately sometimes it skews my interpretation of scenes. I don't really think it was anything more than just her as a person proving she was who she was and that was enough, and I liked that. Especially cause even though I knew it was coming, I just really loved how she blasted him as opposed to going hand-to-hand. I mean screw it, if I could fire energy blasts from my hands I wouldn't risk a fight by using fisticuffs especially against an opponent who I knew could likely beat me. And I liked her dragging him back to the pod and shipping him back home. Maybe in a sequel or something they'll get Law back for another confrontation, who knows.

I do wonder if Carol's space adventure will either be the subject of a sequel(though I would think they'd just have any sequel set in modern times now, but look at WW, so who knows?), or play some role in things that might happen in the future of the MCU. I've never been that versed in the galactic aspect of the comics, so much is unknown to me, but I know it's pretty rich so I'm sure it's an avenue Marvel will likely look to continue plumbing especially since they may not have another Guardians, and even if they get it done...well yeah. So who knows, but the movie was quite fun and I had a good time. And dammit I can't wait till Endgame!


Oh, it amused me that the trailers before the movie included all the superhero flicks(minus Brightburn which would've been funny), the Rock/Statham F&F spinoff movie, and a rom-com. Oh yeah and Frozen 2. It really felt, more so than usual, that the trailers were so specifically geared for the film. All the upcoming superhero flicks, an action flick for guys that enjoy those, a rom-com for the ladies(not that guys can't enjoy those too), and then Frozen 2 cause empowered female leads. Honestly I'm surprised they didn't throw in an Aladdin trailer that focused on Jasmine at that point.

laterdayz13 wrote: View Post

But at the end of the day he just let everyone assume the details of what happened. That line in WS wasnít even true in the sense that he obviously trusted Coulson, Hill and The Avengers. You just canít take everything Fury says at face value .
To be fair, Fury never really trusts anyone. Really the closest he probably has come to trusting someone is Goose and look what happened there? Even Hill and Coulson only get trusted enough to make things happen, he doesn't spill every dirty secret. Sure, trusts them more than most, but that's not entirely the same. And did he really trust the Avengers that much? But yeah no, clearly Fury's agenda is only truly known to Fury and people should never be surprised when the things he says aren't entirely what he means, or how one would expect it. I did enjoy how his fabricated story about the eye was him looking like a badass facing down Kree torture when in fact...cat scratch. Alien-tentacle-cat scratch, but still heh.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 04:32 PM #570
Cuchulainn's Avatar
> Cuchulainn
century color
 
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1,377
Cuchulainn
century color
Cuchulainn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1,377



GoldAnyRanger wrote: View Post

Well
, I guess we wont be getting a Secret Invasion after all, unless there's a change in Skrull Leadership between 1995 and the present.
That did surprise me. I assumed Carol was going to have her "deprogramming herself from Kree propaganda" moment but I figured Talos was going to fuck her over in the end and say "Nah, I was lying, too." When his kid ran in I was like "Hubbuh--whaaat? He's actually not evil?"

Granted, they were going for a not-so-subtle jab at War on Terror rhetoric (right down to Carol blatantly saying "No! You're a terrorist!") and making him Just Actually Bad would've ruined that.

I think Secret Invasion is still gonna happen, though. And Talos will likely be involved as one of the few Skrulls the heroes team up with.

Last edited by Cuchulainn; March 10th, 2019 at 04:37 PM.
Cuchulainn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 04:37 PM #571
Dragonwolf Ranger's Avatar
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 21,366
Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force
Dragonwolf Ranger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 21,366



Me and my dad enjoyed the movie.
Still we weren't trusting Talos for a long time. Guess no Secret Invasion then.
Yay!
Dragonwolf Ranger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 09:33 PM #572
Titanium321's Avatar
> ⚡Titanium321
Moderator
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,811
Titanium321
Moderator
Titanium321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,811



GoldAnyRanger wrote: View Post

Well
, I guess we wont be getting a Secret Invasion after all, unless there's a change in Skrull Leadership between 1995 and the present.
I'm cool with that, Secret Invasion is a terrible storyline and there just isn't enough history on screen to justify it or make us go through another hero vs hero story.


Ronan never got to go back for Carol, unless it happened in the 19 years between Captain Marvel and Guardians 1. Would be something to explore in the sequel.
Well, something happens to Hala and makes Ronan turn into a crazed zealot terrorist in between. Having a sequel still be a prequel would be kind of cool or at least be a follow up to this unseen adventure.


So, Fury said he lost his eye because he trusted someone. I guess that's a matter of your point of view. Did he lose it because he trusted Goose not to hurt him? Or was he just saying that to maintain whatever cover story he has about the eye? Or just another thing retconned?
It's a joke, because he made a point to tell Goose he trusted him and did trust him not to hurt him. When he told that story in Winter Soldier, he was just trying to sound badass by exaggerating the truth because that's what he does.


Sadsmileyface wrote: View Post

I was surprised to see the Tesseract. So that means Carol gets her powers from the Space stone, similar to how Witch gets hers from the Mind stone?
I feel like that's going to have to play a role in the end somehow. It was a really neat twist on her powers I didn't see coming. I wonder if that's how she just shows up in the end, she learns to teleport over time. Wanda can get into your mind, Vision has a mind because of the stone, Pietro being fast doesn't really make sense now.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 10:23 PM #573
Cuchulainn's Avatar
> Cuchulainn
century color
 
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1,377
Cuchulainn
century color
Cuchulainn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1,377



The fact she got her power from the Space Stone leads me to believe (or hope) that her inevitable fight with Thanos in Endgame isn't a total smack-down like people have been hyping it up to be. Because if that's her power's origin, it doesn't mean much if Thanos has the power of all the Stones combined.

Like, she's obviously strong, and probably the strongest out of the heroes, but her power is still hypothetically 1/6th of what Thanos is capable of. Should be interesting.

Last edited by Cuchulainn; March 10th, 2019 at 11:10 PM.
Cuchulainn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:05 PM #574
Poweranimals's Avatar
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 35,620
Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!
Poweranimals's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 35,620



Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

The fact she got her power from the Soul Stone
You mean the Space Stone?
Poweranimals is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:10 PM #575
Cuchulainn's Avatar
> Cuchulainn
century color
 
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1,377
Cuchulainn
century color
Cuchulainn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1,377



Poweranimals wrote: View Post

You mean the Space Stone?
Yep. Mistyped.
Cuchulainn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:23 PM #576
Poweranimals's Avatar
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 35,620
Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!
Poweranimals's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 35,620



Activator wrote: View Post

In The Winter Soldier, Nick Fury is seen in a picture with Alexander Pierce with both eyes and no scar. I'm going to rewatch that movie one more time to verify, but I'm 99% sure this is the case, So, while everyone was joking about him losing an eye to Goose, there was no way to do it unless they straight up ignored this detail. Retcons can get annoying.
Not really a retcon. It was a fake eye. Remember Coulson brought him a bunch to choose from at the end of the movie.
Poweranimals is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:40 PM #577
Allio's Avatar
> Allio
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,520
Allio
Power Ranger
Allio's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,520



I think my major problem of the film is just that it was an average film that was bogged down by a poor third act. for something that would ultimately be a 6-7/10 the third act brings it down.

Like I didn't hate it, I just felt disappointed.
Allio is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 06:03 AM #578
> FET-Kun
Dude In A Terriermon Suit
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,168
FET-Kun
Dude In A Terriermon Suit
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,168



CheckeredRanger wrote: View Post

So,the movie seems to be doing quite well at the box office.Therefore,I would like to issue the following statement to all the clickbait YouTube douchebags and trolls online..
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...7/laughter.gif
Yes, because the box office turn out of a movie, and it's overall quality... are always 1:1.
FET-Kun is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 11th, 2019, 06:20 AM #579
Allio's Avatar
> Allio
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,520
Allio
Power Ranger
Allio's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,520



I mean itís a modern mcu movie, and one that ties into not only endgame but the ending of infinity war. Of course it was going to do well.

We need to wait until this weekend and see how much it drops
Allio is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 06:35 AM #580
Cameron Samurai's Avatar
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 34,303
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!
Cameron Samurai's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 34,303



FET-Kun wrote: View Post

Yes, because the box office turn out of a movie, and it's overall quality... are always 1:1.
Yeah, I hated this movie and I don't care if I'm labelled a "hater" or a "troll" for having a different opinion. At least I'm honest. You're right, how much it makes is no indicator of quality or how many actually come out with a satisfactory experience, and with the way reviews are coming in all pointing to it being "fine" at best and "eh" at worst, I'm expecting a bit of a drop off. In the long run, I feel this will be a cultural 'success' the way Last Jedi was a 'success', it'll make it's money but it'll do nothing to quell the culture war going on.

Last edited by Cameron Samurai; March 11th, 2019 at 06:44 AM.
Cameron Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Tags
brie larson, captain marvel, marvel studios, not an old woman, not elder abuse

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.