Home Menu

Menu

Old June 12th, 2019, 07:30 AM #2201
> Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

LazerwolfX wrote: View Post

People unironically arguing that the gender-swapped rangers should come with male bodies!
Not the point I made, but okay. Thanks for contributing.
Zeo Cereal is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 07:41 AM #2202
> Pixelboy
Paleo Fan

Pixelboy
Paleo Fan

I'll reiterate in different words something I've said before. These could be painted in single, solid colours, the visor on MMPR Red helmet could be sculpted upside-down, Hasbro could ship me a Shadow Ranger with two left arms by mistake, and I'd still say the Lightning Collection is better than the BoA stuff because we've finally moved away from those nauseating muscles.

BigMDtheSequel wrote: View Post

I like the line work personally. It makes the design pop a bit more at such a small scale. It's kind of like panel lining on Gundam models. No, the "actual" robots don't have black paint in between every panel, but at that scale it's virtually impossible to get a proper sense of depth without some additional line work to bring it out.
That's fair enough.
Pixelboy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old June 12th, 2019, 08:02 AM #2203
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

Are people basing their criticisms of the figure off of the 3 promo pictures that are readily available, or are there more images out there that I missed? If its the former, how can you guys even tell about the fine details? Seems a bit early to get upset about this.
cleanuphtr15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 09:46 AM #2204
> FE21
PR Geek

FE21
PR Geek

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

the Mandatory Positivity of Lightning prerelease.
Yeah, that was nuts. Hasbro is a producer attempting to sell me a product in exchange for my money. If I do not want the product, I will not pay for the product. After what happened with the Shadow Ranger figure and paint apps, I'm much more weary about preordering anything (I tried to cancel it twice, but it never went through, but it's not worth the hassle to send it back). The sad thing is that I would pay $25 if it meant a much better painted figure (all the major paint apps in the right color). But $20 for a significantly poorer paint job will not sell me.
FE21 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 10:32 AM #2205
> DesignIncase
Power Ranger

DesignIncase
Power Ranger

People should nitpick. What else are we going to talk about here?
My hope is that folks will understand why some choices were made, At this scale there will be compromises.
Also those who make these products should get called out for deceptive advertising.

At this point. I've had inconsistent QC issues. When I was at Walmart I had to flip through several boxes of the same figure to one that looked good enough. The paint app and deformities was ridiculous. With Bandai I think I had one bad iffy figure. Everything else was consistent Bandai being cheap problems. Hasbro so far, you can get a great figure and you can get a bad one.
DesignIncase is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 10:53 AM #2206
> LazerwolfX
Fight of Hammer

LazerwolfX
Fight of Hammer

Not the point I made, but okay. Thanks for contributing.
Feel free to clarify then, cuz thatís how it came off.
LazerwolfX is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 10:58 AM #2207
> Utomowatch
Power Ranger

Utomowatch
Power Ranger

Eh does anyone have try to pry open white rangers shield?
Utomowatch is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 11:10 AM #2208
> BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15 wrote: View Post

Are people basing their criticisms of the figure off of the 3 promo pictures that are readily available, or are there more images out there that I missed? If its the former, how can you guys even tell about the fine details? Seems a bit early to get upset about this.
The pictures are good enough to see certain things. You can see the size and color of the morpher, for example (I asked Hasbro reps about the color for the final product on Twitter but got no response).
BigMDtheSequel is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 01:07 PM #2209
> DesignIncase
Power Ranger

DesignIncase
Power Ranger

Utomowatch wrote: View Post

Eh does anyone have try to pry open white rangers shield?
It's not connected to the body.

Option A - Snip the shield at the underarms like Bandai did.
Option B - Get a heat gun or hot water(microwaved for a minute or two), dump the torso, and pop out the shoulders. Remove the head first or else that could distort. You might get away with separating beneath the shoulder and finessing the shield off.
DesignIncase is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old June 12th, 2019, 04:58 PM #2210
> Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

LazerwolfX wrote: View Post

Feel free to clarify then, cuz thatís how it came off.
I clarified before with a multi-paragraph post, including images. Guess I'll repeat myself. My issue is with the overall height balance of a team. It's about form and silhouette while posing. It's about tooling to match 2% of exclusively janky footage versus the overwhelming majority of fights. I clarified that male bodies wouldn't work, given the included headsculpts, and stressed a need for balance. I used Katie/Trip as an extreme example of why balance is necessary. Did you miss that post?

Maybe Legacy Trini shelf warmed for a reason?
Zeo Cereal is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 06:05 PM #2211
> Utomowatch
Power Ranger

Utomowatch
Power Ranger

BigMDtheSequel wrote: View Post

The pictures are good enough to see certain things. You can see the size and color of the morpher, for example (I asked Hasbro reps about the color for the final product on Twitter but got no response).
Ah yes, Hasbro, always suck with the promotional photos. Just look at their TF photo shoots.
Utomowatch is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 06:50 PM #2212
> PhantomRangerX19
Power Ranger

PhantomRangerX19
Power Ranger

Unmasked head kind of looks like Bulk with a 70's toupee.
PhantomRangerX19 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 08:23 AM #2213
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

I clarified before with a multi-paragraph post, including images. Guess I'll repeat myself. My issue is with the overall height balance of a team. It's about form and silhouette while posing. It's about tooling to match 2% of exclusively janky footage versus the overwhelming majority of fights. I clarified that male bodies wouldn't work, given the included headsculpts, and stressed a need for balance. I used Katie/Trip as an extreme example of why balance is necessary. Did you miss that post?

Maybe Legacy Trini shelf warmed for a reason?
At the risk of being another person that misinterprets your post...

Are you saying that you believe Legacy Trini shelfwarmed because Bandai basically just repainted Legacy Kim? If so, I have a really difficult time buying that.
Old June 13th, 2019, 10:12 AM #2214
> Pixelboy
Paleo Fan

Pixelboy
Paleo Fan

I think you might have a good point overall, Zeo, especially with regard to Timeranger/Time Force. But again, I think MMPR Yellow is a bad example here.

Past Season One we almost never saw the character played by a masculine-coded performer. The Season Two Zord summoning stock is the only Zyuranger footage I can think of that we saw beyond that point, and by the end of that season, even that had been replaced with new footage.

By Season Three, basically all of the morphed footage was new stuff, featuring the American suits and stunt team. They even made the central diamonds on MMPR Yellow and Pink narrower, for some reason.

In this frequently-reused shot from Season Three, you can see that there's not much difference in apparent body shape between MMPR Yellow and Pink. Yellow is, literally, "Pink sans skirt".

I also think its terribly disingenuous to refer to the Western-made suits as the "after-market shitty American version". After a rough start with Season One, the new suits look fine, despite never, strangely, being quite shiny enough. Furthermore, I think most folks would agree that less Sentai footage generally makes for a stronger season of PR, and that means newly-produced suits on-camera.

I think Legacy MMPR Yellow shelfwarmed because that body sculpt was hideous.
Old June 13th, 2019, 10:21 AM #2215
> bearytrek
Power Ranger

bearytrek
Power Ranger

re: that SDCC set...they really don't like the MMPR blaster in sword mode

I don't think figuarts even did it beyond one time
bearytrek is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 11:20 AM #2216
> Vaportrail
Power Ranger

Vaportrail
Power Ranger

The negativity in this forum never fails to disappoint me.

Exclusive release/extras aside, it's a $15 figure based on a kid's show from over 25 years ago. Yes, I can see the inaccuracies, but I still think as a pair of 6" toys, these look great. I've got just about every MMPR Red Ranger released, helmet included, along with Legacy Gold (thanks for making him so easy to find) and I'll still likely pick this up if it's available at retail price, because #foreverred for crying out loud.

You want your "perfect" toy? Learn to sculpt. Hasbro says "You're welcome". Geez.
Vaportrail is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 11:38 AM #2217
> Pixelboy
Paleo Fan

Pixelboy
Paleo Fan

Vaportrail wrote: View Post

Hasbro says "You're welcome". Geez.
These are products, not gifts.
Old June 13th, 2019, 12:24 PM #2218
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

Pixelboy wrote: View Post

These are products, not gifts.
I'm constantly torn between my belief that people should be free to express their like/dislike of a figure and my general observation that a (much too) large portion of this fanbase tends to act like they are in the target age range of the show.
Old June 13th, 2019, 12:34 PM #2219
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

As always, if fans do not vocalise what they do not like about the products that are targeted towards them (age irrelevant), then these companies will never make any effort to produce better products in future.
Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 01:37 PM #2220
> Pixelboy
Paleo Fan

Pixelboy
Paleo Fan

I definitely don't advocate unrealistic expectations of toy producers, harassment of toy company employees, or petulant behaviour in general. That stuff is unproductive and embarrassing. On the other hand, nitpicking is part of what toy collectors are all about, and if we can be constructive, I think communities like these can help improve products made for the collectors' markets.

Tags
super epic legacy legends