Home Menu

Menu

Old March 8th, 2019, 07:52 PM #341
> a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

Mr. Yellow wrote: View Post

I feel like we say this everytime, “THIS one will be the test!” starting with Dairanger,
True but Fiveman from what I've heard bombed HARD in Japan so if THIS sells well then chances are we will get the reamaining pre Zyu Sentai.
a squad is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 08:06 PM #342
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Yeah unlike Ohranger, Fiveman is actually the series that almost killed Sentai back in the day. It'll be interesting to see how this one does in terms of sales.
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 08:06 PM #343
> grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com

eBay
grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com

eBay

It's the next one sequentially. Picking and choosing at random (or even with some kind of criteria) would upset at least some small group of people and also bring forth calls for specific series going forward, which would be a pain to handle.

At this point, I think there may be enough good will built that even if Fiveman were to do badly (I doubt it would completely bomb, though, because there's at least a small group of people who are buying EVERY series, I assume), it would take a pair of series to kill the pre-Zyu train.

Which begs the question - is there a pair of sequential pre-Zyu series that both did poorly originally?
grnrngr is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 08:12 PM #344
> Zeo Cereal
slurp

Zeo Cereal
slurp

grnrngr wrote: View Post

Which begs the question - is there a pair of sequential pre-Zyu series that both did poorly originally?
Turboranger isn't particularly loved, or notable. The one-two of Turboranger & Fiveman seems to have driven Jetman's narrative and Zyuranger's aesthetic changes.
Zeo Cereal is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 08:14 PM #345
> Orion
Power Ranger

Orion
Power Ranger

Well, it's hard to be smacked in between Liveman and Jetman.

I think Liveman might very well see some great sales here.
Orion is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:09 PM #346
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

The infamy of both Turboranger and Fiveman should pretty much be well noted considering it all is just about impressions. Turboranger drove away Liveman fans because they thought it was too kiddy (despite the really complex elements and strong concepts, more or less being the transition to harder fantasy Sentai that Zyu onwards would pursue). This lead to the first real time-change (from it's Saturday night slot to Friday night) and it's still popularity with "kids" lead to...well, all the flailing Fiveman ended up doing in figuring things out. (and it's cheapness since they spent a lot on Turboranger) If you look deep you can see Fiveman still has novel concepts but the ratings kept getting worse since no one wanted what Toei was offering...basically just leading to them saying "screw it, we're giving you one final chance and we'll let Inoue write it".

And the rest is history.
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:40 PM #347
> Champ
Lupin Red!

Champ
Lupin Red!

Allio wrote: View Post

So, backward from Zyuranger then! This is a great news. Definitely going to get Liveman in the near future.
Champ is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:58 PM #348
> powerpackers90
AngelGroveRadioPodcast

powerpackers90
AngelGroveRadioPodcast

Yeah from what I understand the 2 biggest pros about Fiveman was 1.) It cause the Changes in Jetman and 2.) It inspired the Ginyu Force in Dragon Ball Z as toriyama was watching Fiveman with his son when his was doing the Frieza Arc in the manga.
powerpackers90 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:26 AM #349
> a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

Ataruman wrote: View Post

The infamy of both Turboranger and Fiveman should pretty much be well noted considering it all is just about impressions. Turboranger drove away Liveman fans because they thought it was too kiddy (despite the really complex elements and strong concepts, more or less being the transition to harder fantasy Sentai that Zyu onwards would pursue). This lead to the first real time-change (from it's Saturday night slot to Friday night) and it's still popularity with "kids" lead to...well, all the flailing Fiveman ended up doing in figuring things out. (and it's cheapness since they spent a lot on Turboranger) If you look deep you can see Fiveman still has novel concepts but the ratings kept getting worse since no one wanted what Toei was offering...basically just leading to them saying "screw it, we're giving you one final chance and we'll let Inoue write it".

And the rest is history.
So Turboranger is technically the Sentai that almost killed the franchise then? Becuase people hated that one they weren't too willing to give Fiveman much of a chance? How ironic since our Turbo was also the series that was going to cause PR to be cancelled after IS.
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:33 AM #350
> Zeo Cereal
slurp

Zeo Cereal
slurp

It's not a matter of "they almost killed Sentai".

Lethargy and tired design forced the series to re-examine itself. These days we might call it a reboot. Fiveman and Turboranger typify a show that kept doing the same thing, every week, for 15 years.

a squad wrote: View Post

How ironic since our Turbo was also the series that was going to cause PR to be cancelled after IS.
That's a nope.
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:44 AM #351
> Champ
Lupin Red!

Champ
Lupin Red!

How ironic since our Turbo was also the series that was going to cause PR to be cancelled after IS.
Ol, hold right there.... how do you know that?
Champ is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 03:20 AM #352
> a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

Champ wrote: View Post

Ol, hold right there.... how do you know that?
I thought Turbos ratings were bad enough that they gave PR just one more season to end on but because IS was so well liked they decided to not cancel the series. Is that not correct?
Old March 9th, 2019, 06:25 AM #353
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

I thought Turbos ratings were bad enough that they gave PR just one more season to end on but because IS was so well liked they decided to not cancel the series. Is that not correct?
The ratings in Turbo improved a lot from the point when the new rangers took over.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 08:07 AM #354
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

I think it was less lethargy and more the approach that lead to Turboranger and Fiveman's infamy in Japan. The mid-80s did change the franchise up and seasons from Bioman through Liveman are still considered memorable to the Japanese audience. Things just collapsed due to Turboranger and Fiveman's approach; sure there were stale elements but whether or not those shows were good or bad doesn't matter due to how far the show plummeted those two seasons. Personally Turboranger is probably my favorite pre-Zyu Sentai, but it just didn't click with the Japanese audience and those that were left when Fiveman started had it even worse with how much they were flailing and needed that fresh approach Jetman gave them.

I'm just hoping that with Fiveman coming and hopefully Turboranger this year or next, we'll get a different perspective from American audiences who look at these shows with fresh eyes as opposed to the Japanese audience who nearly doomed the franchise.
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 09:09 AM #355
> The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen

The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen

Yeah, I think it's important to point out that just because they were unpopular does not make them bad seasons. Fiveman isn't amazing by any means, but give it a chance before writing it off as a bad season that did nothing right.
The Golden Witch is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 09:39 AM #356
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Did they announce a release date for the Fiveman set yet or did they just say that they were doing it at some point?
Old March 9th, 2019, 10:03 AM #357
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

Did they announce a release date for the Fiveman set yet or did they just say that they were doing it at some point?
No known release date yet. Bruno was just saying that it's happening.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 10:37 AM #358
> monkeyjb1988
Power Ranger

monkeyjb1988
Power Ranger

grnrngr wrote: View Post

It's the next one sequentially. Picking and choosing at random (or even with some kind of criteria) would upset at least some small group of people and also bring forth calls for specific series going forward, which would be a pain to handle.

At this point, I think there may be enough good will built that even if Fiveman were to do badly (I doubt it would completely bomb, though, because there's at least a small group of people who are buying EVERY series, I assume), it would take a pair of series to kill the pre-Zyu train.
Agreed. The only reason I'm not buying Hurricaneger is because I asked for it for my birthday (and you can bet you changer I'm buying it if I don't get it ) Also right about cherry-picking which series. If Shout does that, I'm staying off the boards for a while.

Also, there's plenty of fans who never saw it and want to judge themselves (me included; I downloaded subs but they're getting deleted for the DVDs).

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

Turboranger isn't particularly loved, or notable. The one-two of Turboranger & Fiveman seems to have driven Jetman's narrative and Zyuranger's aesthetic changes.
Ataruman wrote: View Post

And the rest is history.
Huh. I thought Turboranger looked good. Hm. Well, if Shout gets to it, I'll see

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

Lethargy and tired design forced the series to re-examine itself. These days we might call it a reboot. Fiveman and Turboranger typify a show that kept doing the same thing, every week, for 15 years.
Maybe Sentai's due for another one after all this bad news about ratings (I think people are overblowing the news but I've been wrong before).
monkeyjb1988 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 10:45 AM #359
> Zeo Cereal
slurp

Zeo Cereal
slurp

monkeyjb1988 wrote: View Post

Maybe Sentai's due for another one after all this bad news about ratings (I think people are overblowing the news but I've been wrong before).
It wouldn't hurt, and Power Rangers is no longer reliant on last year's Sentai. 10 years ago, Sentai ending was a doomsday scenario for PR and international markets.

A break did wonders for Kamen Rider - Super Sentai has earned it.

Last edited by Zeo Cereal; March 9th, 2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:30 AM #360
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Also Power Rangers still has a few years worth of material to work with after Beast Morphers wraps so Sentai taking a break for a little while wouldn’t hurt them that much in the short term.