Home Menu

Menu

Old September 28th, 2018, 04:54 PM #181
> The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen

The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen

Yep. Got mine today as well. Lookin' good!
The Golden Witch is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old September 28th, 2018, 11:21 PM #182
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

ComradeMisato wrote: View Post

Re: the Jetman set, has anyone else whoís gotten theirs noticed an odd frame blending effect on a lot of shots featuring cel animation? Itís all over the shots of the robot running wild in the first episode, you canít miss it. I checked the MKVs I downloaded ages ago and itís definitely just an issue with the new set.

My guess - my hope - is that this is some kind of mastering or encoding error on Shout! or Toeiís part, and the set is being delayed so they can fix it.
I've only watched the first episode so far and saw nothing wrong. What other episodes do you think might have a problem?
Storm Eagle is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2018, 09:55 AM #183
> ComradeMisato
Power Ranger

ComradeMisato
Power Ranger

Storm Eagle wrote: View Post

I've only watched the first episode so far and saw nothing wrong. What other episodes do you think might have a problem?
I keep trying to reply to this thread, but my posts are being flagged as spam for some reason.

Thereís a post in the Super Sentai subreddit discussing this issue; I canít link to it but it links to a video illustrating what Iím talking about.

Someone on Tumblr is saying itís an edited rerun master designed to decrease the risk of causing seizures.

I only watched the first three episodes, but if that person is correct, it probably affects the entire series. It was present to varying degrees in all three episodes I watched.
ComradeMisato is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2018, 01:39 PM #184
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

I keep trying to reply to this thread, but my posts are being flagged as spam for some reason.

Thereís a post in the Super Sentai subreddit discussing this issue; I canít link to it but it links to a video illustrating what Iím talking about.

Someone on Tumblr is saying itís an edited rerun master designed to decrease the risk of causing seizures.

I only watched the first three episodes, but if that person is correct, it probably affects the entire series. It was present to varying degrees in all three episodes I watched.
I found the video, and I think I see what you're getting at. If the person on Tumblr is correct, then it sounds fair. It most likely came from Toei since they send their masters to Shout! Factory. How would you say that this would affect the entire series though? Anyway, when you e-mailed Shout! Factory, I hope you included the link to your video. I'll post the link here, but I think a side-by-side comparison video might be more helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT9BGMurjWQ
Old September 29th, 2018, 02:48 PM #185
> ComradeMisato
Power Ranger

ComradeMisato
Power Ranger

I mean, any release is better than no release, but itís a bit irritating not to have the version originally broadcast, especially when that version is available on the R2 releases.

And what I mean by ďthe whole seriesĒ is that there are probably instances of it in many, if not most or all episodes across the whole series, as it seems to have been applied pretty liberally in the first few episodes to shots with flashing/animated effects.
ComradeMisato is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2018, 03:12 PM #186
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

I mean, any release is better than no release, but itís a bit irritating not to have the version originally broadcast, especially when that version is available on the R2 releases.
I agree, but it's too bad the region 2 releases don't have English subtitles and are wicked expensive.
Old September 30th, 2018, 07:50 PM #187
> Dark storm
Power Ranger

Dark storm
Power Ranger

It's been so hard to put this series down. If I didn't have to work, I'd probably be done with the whole season. I think I'm enjoying this one more than I did Dairanger, Kakuranger, and even Megaranger. Was even surprised by the mechs. No other show can have a plot all over the place like this one and get away with it.
Dvd quality has been looking good, but of course I usually never notice these little things that everyone else does such as the frames.
But now I'm really looking forward to their next announcements. With Timeranger's final episode, some of the older ones looked pretty bad, but I'd still check them out
Dark storm is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 07:12 AM #188
> megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay
megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay

i noticed those motion blurs since i think megarangers release here stateside. but it doesn't really matter to me personally. i'm just happy we're getting these sets
megagao is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 07:14 AM #189
> Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

Dark storm wrote: View Post

But now I'm really looking forward to their next announcements. With Timeranger's final episode, some of the older ones looked pretty bad, but I'd still check them out
Bad as in video quality or bad as in "who would watch these shows"?

Trust me, a lot of pre-Zyu shows will surprise you in being better than their simplicity lets on.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 08:29 AM #190
> Dark storm
Power Ranger

Dark storm
Power Ranger

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Bad as in video quality or bad as in "who would watch these shows"?

Trust me, a lot of pre-Zyu shows will surprise you in being better than their simplicity lets on.
Like way cheesier than MMPR or most other 80's live action kids shows especially for Japan, in terms of costumes, footage and acting. Mainly the first couple. They hadn't developed into what we know now. But it's like Classic Doctor Who for me, people say that the older quality and low budget sets and costumes will turn you off, but it doesn't. I managed to watch the whole series (apart from one Hartnell DVD I couldn't get and the missing episodes) with no problem. Even watching the old Godzilla movies for the first time has been fun (with the exception of on or two movies that bored me or turned me off to the movie, like the one with the kid fantasizing about being on the Island and talking to Minya. Gag). I don't doubt any of those will be interesting to watch. Although they will have their moments, lol.
Dark storm is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 08:53 AM #191
> Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster

I don't know what's more surprising - Toei editing pakupaku scenes for Jetman reruns, the edits not being on R2 DVDs, or the fact that people think we'll get a re-issue from Shout.

megagao wrote: View Post

i noticed those motion blurs since i think megarangers release here stateside
Makes sense, Megaranger was airing during "Pokemon Shock". The broadcast masters may have been altered.

There are many transitional edits for early Pocket Monsters episodes, as they tried to find a solution for the bright lights. The sheer number of these 'dull masters' outweigh the unaltered ones. - they're easier to find. Could be why these Jetman cuts have resurfaced.

Last edited by Zeo Cereal; October 1st, 2018 at 08:59 AM.
Zeo Cereal is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 09:09 AM #192
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

I don't know what's more surprising - Toei editing pakupaku scenes for Jetman reruns, the edits not being on R2 DVDs, or the fact that people think we'll get a re-issue from Shout.
What's pakupaku?

I've watched the first five episodes of Jetman so far, and I've noticed that the bottom of the picture tends to flicker. It might have been in the masters sent to Shout! Factory though. They send then discs on which the episodes are burned.
Old October 1st, 2018, 10:29 AM #193
> The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen

The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen

The flickering is something that happens with most/all of the old Sentai to varying degrees. It's not something Shout specific.

I'd prefer not having the edits, but it's not a deal-breaker or anything for me.
The Golden Witch is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 03:44 PM #194
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

and Jetman is here

Now for speculation. I am expecting a bit of delay of announcement of the series after Gaoranger if what we were dicussing is anything to go on about.
Allio is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 03:59 PM #195
> Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster

Storm Eagle wrote: View Post

What's pakupaku?

I've watched the first five episodes of Jetman so far, and I've noticed that the bottom of the picture tends to flicker. It might have been in the masters sent to Shout! Factory though. They send then discs on which the episodes are burned.
The bottom field flicker which occurs between scene changes is the result of editing - it's glue. This is present on Toei's R2 DVDs. PR's editors generally cut around this. Run time and field of view would be cut to hide that mess.

Pakupaku is onomatopoeia for rapid flashing, and was a technique that pretty much ended in November of 1997.

Last edited by Zeo Cereal; October 1st, 2018 at 04:07 PM.
Zeo Cereal is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 06:57 PM #196
> Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

We know Shout and Hasbro have worked together so really they need to get themselves together to get anything else post-Gao released.

As for what's next...it could be Hurricaneger, it could be Fiveman, it could even be another pre-Zyu...we just need to wait and see.
Old October 1st, 2018, 07:08 PM #197
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Hideya❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Hideya❤️💕

I think we're going to see more adapted seasons with maybe an occasional dip into the Pre-Zyu stuff. They'll want Jetman to have some room to fully sell before bringing down another season that will, by it's nature of being Pre-Zyu, sell less.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 11:16 PM #198
> Tigran
Power Ranger

Tigran
Power Ranger

Shout needs to sell Rider.

And finally my Jetman set is coming.
Tigran is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 04:07 AM #199
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

The Golden Witch wrote: View Post

The flickering is something that happens with most/all of the old Sentai to varying degrees. It's not something Shout specific.
Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

The bottom field flicker which occurs between scene changes is the result of editing - it's glue. This is present on Toei's R2 DVDs. PR's editors generally cut around this. Run time and field of view would be cut to hide that mess.

Pakupaku is onomatopoeia for rapid flashing, and was a technique that pretty much ended in November of 1997.
Thanks. That's helpful to know.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 04:18 AM #200
> Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

Ataruman
The Brat With a Belltier

Tigran wrote: View Post

Shout needs to sell Rider.
But would it sell? They tried dubbing Black RX and it didn't really wow anyone...and of course someone else had that infamous Ryuki adaptation. Toku fans may know of the joys of Rider and the hugeness of Heisei-era stuff, but that's something I think they may need to test the waters with...or just have a hard time getting considering Ishinomori wanted nothing to do with "Masked Rider".