88 40.93%
88 40.93%
Votes: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 29th, 2019, 01:51 PM #101
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Well done introduction, Beast Morphers. By the bad guys doing most of the work themselves, Nate was easily able to recreate the effect of the Morphin Grid tap to become a Power Ranger, AND Evox's robot body gained sentience through Nate's DNA, becoming not just a friend but Nate's literal brother. That's genius. And I don't know where the idea of having Steel's voice mimic a radio DJ came from, but I am here for it.

But everything else was good, too. A vacuum monster that actually looks cool (when has that ever happened in Power Rangers?), decent enough fight scenes, a very strategic plan of attack, Commander Shaw didn't even freak out on the team when Nate was captured (which she totally should have when THEY were the ones who let him leave in the first place). The one thing I didn't like was Ben and Betty flipping a coin instead of intentionally placing it on the runaway truck. Just because they're the comic relief doesn't mean they can't purposefully be useful, Bulk and Skull risked their lives to save the Rangers from Scatterbrain, the least Ben and Betty can do is report to their superiors like when they stumbled upon a plot looking for their bottle rocket. Throw the tracker tag and then have the truck splash a mud puddle on them so they can't follow, best of both worlds.

SacredWater wrote: View Post

Nate's arachnophobia was similar to Zack's from "Itsy Bitsy Spider."
People forget that Zack had an aversion to all bugs, spiders were simply at the top of that list.

HOW1215 wrote: View Post

I can already tell that Silver is gonna be a better robot than RoboKnight, Tensou, and Redbot combined.
Low bar to reach...
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 02:22 PM #102
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

NonExistent wrote: View Post

I mean I expected Nate to be a possibility due to some of Abraham's instagram photos where he is wearing marigold on set in some form or another..
I go to great pains to avoid all Ranger social media stuff, as I don't want to be spoiled. Which is why I was bitterly disappointed that No Pink Spandex spoiled it in their episode 3 review (They normally give warnings of spoilers, but not this time).

Before the spoiler, I was certain the gold Ranger would be a new character. I honestly though Ben and Betty were more likely than Nate (as the Rangers act a bit goofy in the footage). I think it would have made my list of top 10 PR surprises if I hadn't known.

I was hoping Hasbro would be better at clamping down on spoilers from the set. If stopping spoilers is impossible, it would be neat if they could do some deliberate red herring leaks (although I guess online spoilers aren't an issue for the core audience of kids). I do feel bad for crew: They go to all this trouble to do these twists and then it's spoiled months in advance often before the show has even started.
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 03:01 PM #103
> mbozzo
Power Ranger

mbozzo
Power Ranger

This episode is a good one. We finally get the Gold and Silver Ranger in this episode. I can't wait for future episode to appear.
mbozzo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 03:04 PM #104
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

GokaiGold wrote: View Post

It really isn't. In line with how it's been done recently.
Levi, RoboKnight and Antonio showed up reasonably early, but they could've taken more time to flesh out these three Rangers (who are paper thin, and that's being charitable) rather than throwing two more into the mix.

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

So if you're dumb enough to hide in an automated soft serve machine, yeah, you're going to get slimed and people will laugh at you for being dumb.
If only Betty had chosen to hide down a well, or in an air-tight security vault, or maybe the den of a pack of hungry wolves at the local zoo. Oh, the hilarity of watching a clumsy person get injured! Oh, the hilarity.
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old April 29th, 2019, 03:21 PM #105
> NonExistent
VIP Rider

NonExistent
VIP Rider

Peter wrote: View Post

If only Betty had chosen to hide down a well, or in an air-tight security vault, or maybe the den of a pack of hungry wolves at the local zoo. Oh, the hilarity of watching a clumsy person get injured! Oh, the hilarity.
Or in Troy's brain, because their is enough open real estate in that head of his to farm goats.
NonExistent is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 04:41 PM #106
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

NonExistent wrote: View Post

Or in Troy's brain, because their is enough open real estate in that head of his to farm goats.
His programming wasn't complete when he escaped from Andrew Hartford's sexbot factory! Give the guy a break. All he got was the "Take Your Shirt Off Occasionally And Pout" algorithms.

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Some things in this show are going to be more for kids than the adult audience, but so far the majority of this show has leaned towards being done for the older audience.
No offense , but ... c'mon. The majority of Beast Morphers has been written for the exact same audience that Ninja Steel and Dino Charge were written for. Kids who like things exploding. Anyone over the age of twelve would've listened to the weird pseudo-science babble about insect, human and robot DNA, and scoffed. As a twelve-year-old, I would've listened to that and gone, "Bullshit". I get enjoying the show, but call a spade a spade. You're just being absurd.

Last edited by Peter; April 29th, 2019 at 04:41 PM.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old April 29th, 2019, 05:00 PM #107
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

"IT MUST BE MY JACK RABBIT DNA."

Quality writing for anyone over the age of six to enjoy.
JaimeZeo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 05:23 PM #108
> coreymon77
Power Ranger

coreymon77
Power Ranger

Anyone over the age of twelve would've listened to the weird pseudo-science babble about insect, human and robot DNA, and scoffed.
Or we listen to it and say "okay, sounds good" because it's entirely consistent within the science and logic that this season has set out for us. I don't expect proper scientific accuracy from Power Rangers. This is the same show where the Moon has a breathable atmosphere, people have been out in the vacuum of space unmorphed and survived and numerous other things that take real-world science and beat it to death with a rusty spork.

I don't expect real world scientific accuracy. I expect internal consistency within the systems, science and logic that the show lays out for us. They gave us a reason for why Steel can morph and how he is technically Nate's brother and while it could be considered hand wavy, it is consistent with what they have presented us with so far so I'm happy to accept it.
coreymon77 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 05:44 PM #109
> ⚡ModRn
Dance Like Nobody's Watching

ModRn
Dance Like Nobody's Watching

JaimeZeo wrote: View Post

"It's a hologram."
"You mean.....an illusion??"
ModRn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 05:50 PM #110
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

It's... it's a children's show... For like 6-8 year olds...
Xenotome is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 05:53 PM #111
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

And my point was aimed at the idea that apparently it's aimed more at the older audiences.

It's not. It IS aimed entirely at kids, and nobody older... painfully so. That's the point.
Old April 29th, 2019, 05:54 PM #112
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Xenotome wrote: View Post

It's... it's a children's show... For like 6-8 year olds...
But ... but ... the majority of this show is being written for adults!
Old April 29th, 2019, 05:58 PM #113
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

And my point was aimed at the idea that apparently it's aimed more at the older audiences.

It's not. It IS aimed entirely at kids, and nobody older... painfully so. That's the point.
And it never has been.
Old April 29th, 2019, 06:02 PM #114
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

And yet, several times, in the past, it's been written with more respect for its audience and with more care and effort that older people can watch it and not feel like they're bleeding IQ points. The series its adapted from - also aimed at five year olds - was so far-and-away better written that it just furthers this point.

As always, "Power Rangers is always shit!" is the defense given for Beast Morphers.
Old April 29th, 2019, 06:15 PM #115
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

And yet, several times, in the past, it's been written with more respect for its audience and with more care and effort that older people can watch it and not feel like they're bleeding IQ points. The series its adapted from - also aimed at five year olds - was so far-and-away better written that it just furthers this point.
I can admit that largely Sentai is better written, but they also have different guidelines to go by. They're allowed to "Go There" in the sense that they can explore tragedy or really anything as long as there's not TOO much blood (That's saved for post series DVD specials). Power Rangers, as a live action show, isn't afforded that. It'd be nice if it was, but it's not. We don't know if that's Hasbro or a Nick thing that's preventing that. I just don't think there's only that and absolute trash with nothing in the middle. Beast Morphers absolutely has places to improve upon, but it's not trash. I know that the last 8 years being mostly trash puts a lot of expectation on this season, but I feel largely that they're pushing forward with fun ideas. I like them to get fleshed out more and absolutely bring new fresh blood to write & produce the series overall.

As always, "Power Rangers is always shit!" is the defense given for Beast Morphers.
No, the defense has not been "Power Rangers is always shit!" It's knowing that there are things in Power Rangers that whenever looked at under a microscope does not make sense.
Old April 29th, 2019, 06:19 PM #116
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

It's knowing that there are things in Power Rangers that whenever looked at under a microscope does not make sense.
Saying that you need to look under a microscope to find BM's problems implies that those problems are quite small.
Old April 29th, 2019, 06:22 PM #117
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Saying that you need to look under a microscope to find BM's problems implies that those problems are quite small.
It's problems are not anything you can't find in a season prior to the Neo-Saban era.
Old April 29th, 2019, 08:54 PM #118
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

That's...pretty standard Power Rangers dialogue TBH.

Making comments about their new powers and how cool they are and how you should buy the toys has literally been there since day one.
SonicBlueRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 09:41 PM #119
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

big smile wrote: View Post

Never in a million years would I have expected Nate to be the gold ranger.
Sometimes I wish I didn't know anything about the Sentai going in and wasn't always looking for foreshadowing or hinting at things the way BM built up Nate as Gold. I do love looking for those things, but getting an actual twist would be nice.

Itís also frustrating that after weeks of teasing, Evox is effectively back to square one. The Rangers got an upgrade with Gold & Silver, so couldnít Evox have also moved further along?
He kind of is though. Instead of just hunting down Morph-X to get him out of the Cyber Dimension, they've got this gate to repair and now Evox wants silver's body for himself. Evox's plans will presumably begin to focus on capturing or corrupting Steel.

Speaking of upgrades, if Nate can so easily create a Ranger (and a robot one at that), why isnít GB building a whole Ranger army?
That wasn't easy nor all Nate. He didn't build the robot body, Scrozzle did. Steel becoming a ranger was an accident, mixing up DNA and robotics in the morph-x sequence. It took time to build a new morpher, he hasn't even built the zords yet, nothing about becoming Gold ranger was planned. Presumably that's what holds back an army of Rangers, they can't just whip up the morphin tech overnight and don't have enough candidates for more rangers. There's a reason they started with only 3 to begin with. It was all they could produce at that point.

AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

Low bar to reach...
Sure, but RoboKnight still gets a lot of leeway for his RoboCop impression.

Well, yeah, people, especially kids, would laugh at that too.

No offense , but ... c'mon. The majority of Beast Morphers has been written for the exact same audience that Ninja Steel and Dino Charge were written for. Kids who like things exploding. Anyone over the age of twelve would've listened to the weird pseudo-science babble about insect, human and robot DNA, and scoffed. As a twelve-year-old, I would've listened to that and gone, "Bullshit". I get enjoying the show, but call a spade a spade. You're just being absurd.
I'm going to just have to disagree and assume any reason I give won't be good enough for you because you've made up your mind and have your own opinions on what it "should be" and what it already is.

I see the writing as done with a competency that is for kids but does not alienate an older audience. That's the sweet spot for any kids show with a subsection belonging to an older audience.

I really don't get what was wrong with that line.

I legitimately don't see how it's not being written with respect for its audience with care and effort for the older audience. All you do is complain about it being for kids or not good enough, but you never define your litmus test for what it should be beyond "better". You're going to have to accept that to a lot of people, it is better and it is doing what older series you're praising did in the past.

I swear it sometimes reads like you're trying to get someone to say "Well then just don't watch it if you don't like it" or something.

It's problems are not anything you can't find in a season prior to the Neo-Saban era.
I think it's actually got a good balance of the different era writing styles, with the common denominator problems that have always faced the show but people can ignore or avoid acknowledging were in the past too because they only remember the good parts.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 09:50 PM #120
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

His programming wasn't complete when he escaped from Andrew Hartford's sexbot factory! Give the guy a break. All he got was the "Take Your Shirt Off Occasionally And Pout" algorithms.
Don't forget he was programmed to seek and destroy plastic jugs. Preferably after hanging them.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote