Ninja of the Future

GreenNinja
Ninja of the Future

Beast Morphers: Episode 08 - "The Cybergate Opens"

The Cybergate Opens
Airs: Saturday, April 27th @ 08:00 AM on Nick

No. No more "Gates".

---Standard Episode Discussion Rules---

1) Do NOT ask for downloads. Hasbro does not want us posting episode encodes here, so you're not allowed to talk about them at all. You will be warned at first, but repeated asking will result in an infraction. Episodes go live legally on Nick's app in the US, and can be watched there.

2) The thread will remain closed until the episode finishes airing. We do this to prevent play-by-play discussion. You'd be amazed to see how large a thread can get when everyone and their mother decides to post about each individual line dialogue or action of an individual. They threads can be tricky to navigate and we don't need them to be even trickier with tons of extra pages at the beginning. Rest assured that within a couple of minutes of the credits rolling the thread will be opened for all.

Note: If two new episodes air back-to-back there will be one thread opened at the conclusion of the second episode.

3) Do NOT start another thread. There is one thread for each episode. It will be created by a moderator and stickied to the top of the page prior to the episode airing so that it can be quickly opened for discussion. In the off chance that we are late or you're just too antsy to talk about the episode, please do not start another thread. It will be closed immediately and you will most likely receive an infraction.

4) Expect Spoilers It's going to happen folks, it's an episode discussion.
Spoilers are to be expected for Beast Morphers episodes, summaries, descriptions, cast list, and more. What we get about Power Rangers Beast Morphers is fair game.
However if you wish to talk about what happens in Go-Busters episodes not yet adapted by Beast Morphers, then you need to go use the Super Sentai of the Past thread to do so. No bringing up episodes that have only aired overseas, either. Use the international discussion thread for that, and stick to this episode.

If there are any further questions by all means ask away.
GreenNinja is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 05:30 AM #2
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

After all the build up, it finally happened. Nate's Gold!

And it was a pretty good debut, too. Nate's a cool character, and it's cool to finally see him ranger up. Also, the Gold Ranger suit looks gold instead of... whatever color Ivan and Levi's suits were, so that's also a major plus. But still... Mantis? Really? They even showed that a mantis looks nothing like Nate's suit. As for the Steel, his suit is also awesome. He already reminds me of J in good ways, but he's also his own thing. Again, in a good way. I love his overconfident attitude. And it was a really nice touch to have the animal DNA give him his horns.

Roxy's delivery of "He's tiny, we'll capture him easy." was really funny, but the villains were actually really threatening this episode. I like it. They were about ready to kill Nate right then and there. Not that I want Nate dead, but it's cool to see the villains that evil. And they're especially evil, because they tried to corrupt J! The monsters!

Ben and Betty's scene at the beginning was almost perfect, but the ice cream moment was a little much. But they redeemed it by being really helpful. (by accident, of course, but still) They directly helped with the win today.

One problem I had with the episode? The Commander's reaction to Nate being gone. She made a big deal about him being left alone before, but this time she says "Don't count him out yet" I don't get it.

Either way, this was a really good one. This was a good sixth debut with good action, a good debut to a new main character, and it had a small cliffhanger to go into the hiatus on. They stopped the plan for today, but it's not over yet.

Last edited by AkaGreen; April 27th, 2019 at 05:52 AM.
AkaGreen is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old April 27th, 2019, 05:33 AM #3
> maslego
Idea Ranger

maslego
Idea Ranger

Of all the unnecessary changes in the history of Power Rangers, turning Gold from a beetle to a mantis has to be among the top of them.
maslego is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old April 27th, 2019, 05:33 AM #4
> Arectaris Returned
Power Ranger

Arectaris Returned
Power Ranger

I'll likely provide more detail later upon rewatching the episode, but I thought this was the best episode of the season-- even better than the premiere.

maslego wrote: View Post

Of all the unnecessary changes in the history of Power Rangers, turning Gold from a beetle to a mantis has to be among the top of them.
I took Nate's line at the end to mean they both had Beetle DNA.
Arectaris Returned is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 05:34 AM #5
> SacredWater
Power Ranger

SacredWater
Power Ranger

This episode was top notch. Nate and Steel become the Gold and Silver Rangers. And it looks like the villains refuse to give up, intent on repairing the Cybergate, and reclaiming Steel.

The part at the beginning with Betty inside the vending machine was funny. When the ice cream landed on her, I said, "Guess the ice cream's on Betty!" LOL!

Also, Nate's arachnophobia was similar to Zack's from "Itsy Bitsy Spider."
SacredWater is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 05:35 AM #6
> chrisrox110
Power Ranger

chrisrox110
Power Ranger

pretty good episode and step up for nate. although the whole plot of him wanting a brother was bothersome at times due to him repeating it so many times, at least he got his wish. steel voice is what I will need to get used too. it is a bit nasally.

ben and betty comedy does get annoying and the whole tracker thing was weird because they couldn't figure out until devon said to use the tracker to track the shipment. they treat it like an ah haa! the moment which it didn't need to be.

overall with the fight scenes and everything I thought it was pretty good for the series. thought a bit talkative but not distracting.
chrisrox110 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 05:35 AM #7
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

Arectaris Returned wrote: View Post

I took Nate's line at the end to mean they both had Beetle DNA.
I don't think that's it. Steel has Nate's DNA and Scarab DNA, but Nate just has Mantis DNA.
Old April 27th, 2019, 05:47 AM #8
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

AkaGreen wrote: View Post

Steel has Nate's DNA and Scarab DNA, but Nate just has Mantis DNA.
I'm just picturing a rhino beetle, tilting it's head to the side and going, "Really?" in a deadpan voice.
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 05:52 AM #9
> TheSentaiGuy
making idiocy an art form

TheSentaiGuy

You know, if I had to pick my two favorite zords, they'd be

The Falcon Zord

And the Praying Mantis Zord

Seriously, what is up with that insect change? They couldn't have just CGIed the correct beetles?

Anyway, it was a competent episode, but this didn't do anything to help make me think Nate is the right choice for a ranger, moreso his characterization thus far. Especially when paired with Jin's far more aggressive and cocky body language, not to mention his interaction with J. Nate has not been shown to have any such traits, and suddenly smashing his more passive and meek personality against macho body language and slapstick like interactions with Steel creates a discrepancy that only serves to make things seem even more like the character of Nate as shown is a poor fit. Maybe there will be more original footage that displays more of Nate's characteristics, and will hopefully replace scenes of obvious Jin body language.
TheSentaiGuy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 05:54 AM #10
> HOW1215
Power Ranger

HOW1215
Power Ranger

That was a perfect way to introduce Silver and Nate as rangers!

I can already tell that Silver is gonna be a better robot than RoboKnight, Tensou, and Redbot combined. However, I still don't get the mantis for Gold but I guess whatever works for Hasbro will work. And their relationship is gonna be a pretty good one so I am really excited to see them again after the hiatus.

Also a fun fact, to those who wanted to know Silver's VA (Jamie Linehan), he also voiced the dub version of Ryouga (AbaRed) in "Lost & Found in Translation" and some of the villains in NSt.

Ben and Betty were pretty tolerable in the episode, but the thing that kinda bothered me is that the "ice cream" was actually pink slime, but that's just some nitpicking on my part.

If Shaw says that Nate should be protected at all costs, why was there no reaction to him after the battle? Clearly there should be some more story behind this.

Overall, this was a great way to end the first arc and I am looking forward to the later half in Fall (unless France spoils us again). 9/10
HOW1215 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 06:00 AM #11
> MagnaChipster
keep your cape on batbot

MagnaChipster
keep your cape on batbot

TheSentaiGuy wrote: View Post

Anyway, it was a competent episode, but this didn't do anything to help make me think Nate is the right choice for a ranger, moreso his characterization thus far. Especially when paired with Jin's far more aggressive and cocky body language, not to mention his interaction with J. Nate has not been shown to have any such traits, and suddenly smashing his more passive and meek personality against macho body language and slapstick like interactions with Steel creates a discrepancy that only serves to make things seem even more like the character of Nate as shown is a poor fit. Maybe there will be more original footage that displays more of Nate's characteristics, and will hopefully replace scenes of obvious Jin body language.
Nate isn't meek and passive at all, though? He's made it very clear he hates being seen as weak and not being taken seriously, and he's not afraid to let that known (even yelling at Commander Shaw for insisting he can't leave without a buddy). Or when he was firm about Ravi not using the neutralizer gadget to make Avatar Roxy good again. The only time he's really been "shy" is regarding his crush on Zoey, and even then that could just be interpreted as him trying to get around the "no dating rangers" rule. Just because he's the smart guy doesn't automatically make him a doormat.

And honestly, I don't understand the vitriol over changing the bug at all. It's really not that big of a deal. Especially since, in my opinion, the "horns" of the gold ranger helmet can easily be seen as a stylized mantis head (they both have that triangular shape).

Fantastic episode, and so satisfying after all the drama regarding Blake. And I already adore Steel.
MagnaChipster is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 06:01 AM #12
> maslego
Idea Ranger

maslego
Idea Ranger

MagnaChipster wrote: View Post

And honestly, I don't understand the vitriol over changing the bug at all. It's really not that big of a deal. Especially since, in my opinion, the "horns" of the gold ranger helmet can easily be seen as a stylized mantis head (they both have that triangular shape).
Because it doesn't match the zord at all and just feels like a change made to make a change.
maslego is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 06:06 AM #13
> MagnaChipster
keep your cape on batbot

MagnaChipster
keep your cape on batbot

maslego wrote: View Post

Because it doesn't match the zord at all and just feels like a change made to make a change.
The Zord barely looks like anything, honestly, but the long lever/arm/thing in the front could easily be read as a mantis's long neck.

I'm sure they just changed it to give more variety amongst the animals. I just don't really see why it deserves so much comment.
MagnaChipster is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 06:10 AM #14
> GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

the "horns" of the gold ranger helmet can easily be seen as a stylized mantis head (they both have that triangular shape).

Fantastic episode, and so satisfying after all the drama regarding Blake. And I already adore Steel.
I think the horns can easily just be a byproduct of Steel.
GokaiGold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 06:11 AM #15
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

TheSentaiGuy wrote: View Post

I sort of agree on the body language, or more just the morph footage, only in the fact that Nate seems like quite the competent fighter now. Of course this also isn't the first time a ranger who doesn't seem like a fighter suddenly kicks butt when morphed. Or I could accept Nate having snuck some simulator time, since he has been wanting to be a ranger. Still a bit odd.

Otherwise, the rest is fine. They've built up to him becoming a ranger, it's not out of the blue. And it isn't new for a seemingly "meek" person to be confident while in costume*cough Spider-Man cough*. Plus it's his debut, gotta have a good show at least initially. He was excited the morphing worked, and that Steel came about, so he was riding the hype of confidence. We'll see how it plays out down the road, but it's not that bad. I mean while Nate has been a little more on the quiet side, he isn't exactly meek, He's just not bold and cocky. But gaining the ranger power could easily have him start acting that way, might turn into a thing for his character.

Gotta say, my fav part of the episode goes to Steel. When Blaze & Roxy were defeated and Roxy is all "How are they beating us?" And Steel answers, "With style!". Best line in the episode, had me crackin up.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 06:14 AM #16
> TheSentaiGuy

TheSentaiGuy

Nate isn't meek and passive at all, though? He's made it very clear he hates being seen as weak and not being taken seriously, and he's not afraid to let that known (even yelling at Commander Shaw for insisting he can't leave without a buddy). Or when he was firm about Ravi not using the neutralizer gadget to make Avatar Roxy good again. The only time he's really been "shy" is regarding his crush on Zoey, and even then that could just be interpreted as him trying to get around the "no dating rangers" rule. Just because he's the smart guy doesn't automatically make him a doormat.

Call how Nate acts whatever you'd like, my main point is that how he's been shown so far does not match up well with Jin's body language, and I'm hoping that's rectified with more original footage.

Alitain wrote: View Post

I sort of agree on the body language, or more just the morph footage, only in the fact that Nate seems like quite the competent fighter now. Of course this also isn't the first time a ranger who doesn't seem like a fighter suddenly kicks butt when morphed. Or I could accept Nate having snuck some simulator time, since he has been wanting to be a ranger. Still a bit odd.

Otherwise, the rest is fine. They've built up to him becoming a ranger, it's not out of the blue. And it isn't new for a seemingly "meek" person to be confident while in costume*cough Spider-Man cough*. Plus it's his debut, gotta have a good show at least initially. He was excited the morphing worked, and that Steel came about, so he was riding the hype of confidence. We'll see how it plays out down the road, but it's not that bad. I mean while Nate has been a little more on the quiet side, he isn't exactly meek, He's just not bold and cocky. But gaining the ranger power could easily have him start acting that way, might turn into a thing for his character.

Gotta say, my fav part of the episode goes to Steel. When Blaze & Roxy were defeated and Roxy is all "How are they beating us?" And Steel answers, "With style!". Best line in the episode, had me crackin up.
Sure, I concede that "meek" wasn't the right word to use, but I think him being emboldened by the power as an explanation (while as good as we're probably going to get) feels a bit off to me. Things like him tossing the sword up to let it disappear show a kind of confidence that seems out of place for someone who became a ranger just a minute before.

Nitpicks aside, I did enjoy the episode. Nate is just going to take some getting used to.

Last edited by TheSentaiGuy; April 27th, 2019 at 06:25 AM.
TheSentaiGuy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 06:15 AM #17
> GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

They really didn't use any of Jin's mannerisms, besides fight stuff they cut around most of it. Don't think it'll be much of a problem considering how much original footage this show has.
GokaiGold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 06:34 AM #18
> TheSpazz
Power Ranger

TheSpazz
Power Ranger

Just wanted to let y’all know that the guy who plays Ben also voices the Robotron in this episode
TheSpazz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 06:40 AM #19
> SakuraRanger
Power Ranger

SakuraRanger
Power Ranger

TheSpazz wrote: View Post

Just wanted to let y’all know that the guy who plays Ben also voices the Robotron in this episode
Is that true?! No way!
SakuraRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 06:41 AM #20
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

TheSpazz wrote: View Post

Really? I never would've guessed that was him.