Home Menu

Menu

Old June 11th, 2017, 06:15 PM #1
> ⚡McAster
I engage in motion

McAster
I engage in motion

The Video Game Thread: Magikarp! Use teraflop!

Ah video games, the fourth most profitable entertainment medium in the world today when all combined in it's various formats (arcade, mobile, home console, VR, AR, etc). Sure are a lot of fun aren't they?

And what a time to be into gaming, as E3 has started and new titles are being announced, previously announced titles are being shown, and rumours are becoming clearer.

So here is a new thread to discuss as we regurally do, and all the important stuff coming out of the conferences.

As always standard rules apply. Remember that even if you don't care for a game, someone else might and we have no need for intense negativity, games are for fun after all.
During the press conferences I ask that you don't "live blog" them. Wait until it is finished and then they are free to talk about.

Previous thread.
https://www.RangerBoard.com/showthread.php?t=172942
McAster is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 06:18 PM #2
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Dj-2Q4nCMAw

Apparently this is a prequel to the original being done by a different company. Chloe is the protagonist this time and it will be released as 3 episodes, the first of which will be out this August. DontNod has announced they're working on a proper sequel themselves but there's no information so far.

Hopefully Ashly Burch is back onboard with this (it kind of sounded like her in the trailer but she only said one word so I'm not completly sure) but as a fan of the orginal game I'm looking forward to heating more about this.

Last edited by Akiba Black; June 11th, 2017 at 08:01 PM.
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 06:20 PM #3
> Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !

Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !

I find Microsoft conf really bad. Other people who share the same thought ?
Otokusastu Zetto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 06:23 PM #4
> The Return Of...
VIP Rider

The Return Of...
VIP Rider

Otokusastu Zetto wrote: View Post

I find Microsoft conf really bad. Other people who share the same thought ?
I enjoyed it!
The Return Of... is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 06:26 PM #5
> ⚡McAster
I engage in motion

McAster
I engage in motion

From the previous thread, and EA and Microsoft's showings.

The Xbox Scorpio is now the Xbox One X coming out on 7th of November. Some fans are already calling it Xbox Hugs and Kisses, XOX, or just X BOX X to equal XBox for ultimate confusion.
$499 USD, smaller that the current Xbox One S, also helps introduce Xbox (original system from the 2000s) backward compatability, and true 4K resolution for both games and movies.
New hardware is six teraflop GPUs clocked at 1.172GHz, 12GB of GDDRS memory and 326GB per second of memory bandwidth. So games will look better and load faster.

Some games will be updated for free to 4K resolution, such as Gears of War 4. Other games will most likely cost money for an update or be re-released as a "remastered" edition.

MasterMystechRanger wrote: View Post

Futurama Worlds of Tomorrow has a release date for mobile: June 29th.

http://www.droidgamers.com/2017/06/0...row-june-29th/

It will feature a new Futurama Storyline, characters voiced by their original voice actors (They said "most of" the voice cast returned, though as most of the main cast seem to be there from trailers, I think they meant supporting characters may not have their original VAs back), as well as celebrities Stephen Hawking, George Takei, Bill Nye, and Neil DeGrasse Tyson which will feature as talking heads.

We don't know exactly what the gameplay is, but we have seen fighting in it similar to typical mobile RPGs (as seen in the teaser trailer), and we know world building will be involved.

Honestly, the fact it's made by the same company that made The Simpsons: Tapped Out and Family Guy: The Quest For Stuff, AKA HUGE money grabbers, to the point it's literally impossible to have everything in the games even if you played from the start, unless you spent thousands of dollars (due to limited-time events with outrageous premium currency requirements), doesn't bode too well.

But the fact the futurama team is involved gives me a little hope.
New Bioware/EA game titled Anthem. Large open world co-op game of exploring the world, going on quests, collecting "epic loot" such as new guns are new parts for your exo-suit (think Iron Man). A real Destiny of fun may await us here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL5GSfs9fi4

Minecraft will be updated and allow play between multiple platforms, not just PC and Xbox One. So yes, you can play a Microsoft game on your Nintendo Switch and you can visit your friend's buildings on PC. PS4 not invited, because Sony doesn't want to share server information and other reasons.

State of Emergency 2, an open world co-op survival game against zombies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ljRGIDGdwU

Code Vein. Bandai Namco. An action adventure game in a ruined world full of monsters, where the design is supposed to be "challenging" not overly difficult. Not quite Dark Souls, but it leans that direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acDwZpBo8o8

Cup Head coming out in September.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm ( a prequel). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvwDNGjEp7A

Tacoma, from the makers of Gone Home, coming out in 2nd of August.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osgba8G_LWw
McAster is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 06:31 PM #6
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

That Minecraft update sounds pretty amazing. I have it for PC but know no one with the PC version, so I don't play as it's boring alone. But I know quite a bit of people with the Xbox version.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 06:53 PM #7
> Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!

eBay
Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!

eBay

Microsoft revealed some new game called "The Last Night" at E3.

and within hours its creator was revealed to be a massive mysogynistic asshole, summing up the games' plot on social media as "a dystopian world where feminism won."
Arkvoodle is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 06:57 PM #8
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Arkvoodle wrote: View Post

summing up the games' plot on social media as "a dystopian world where feminism won."
Oh crap, grab your children, head in the bomb shelters, and prep the flame shields. The fallout of this is gonna get ugly real fast.
Xalfrea is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 07:45 PM #9
> Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

While I know there's a market for the Xbox One X (which isn't nearly as bad a name as some people are claiming), I'm perfectly happy with my original Xbox One. It barely gets use anymore anyway, thanks to the compounding responsibilities of homeownership and parenthood.
Crow T. Robot is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 07:52 PM #10
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

and within hours its creator was revealed to be a massive mysogynistic asshole, summing up the games' plot on social media as "a dystopian world where feminism won."
Sounds like a hilarious plot.

Now is the guy mysogynistic asshole, or is it just the game? Cause there is a clear line between creator and creation.
Allio is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 07:57 PM #11
> CheckeredRanger
4000 posts of nothing

CheckeredRanger
4000 posts of nothing

The fallout from this should be entertaining to watch
CheckeredRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 07:59 PM #12
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

I mean if a horror/thriller movie can come out and literally be titled "mysogyny" why can't a videogame?
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:01 PM #13
> BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

Oh I'm gonna enjoy the fallout from this one

EDIT: Checkered beat me to it
BlueMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:04 PM #14
> CheckeredRanger
4000 posts of nothing

CheckeredRanger
4000 posts of nothing

Gamergate 2:Electric Boogaloo
CheckeredRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:08 PM #15
> Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

Allio wrote: View Post

I mean if a horror/thriller movie can come out and literally be titled "mysogyny" why can't a videogame?
Uhhhh....

1. The budding controversy has nothing to do with the title.
2. The only movie I found with that name (once the spelling was corrected) was a low-budget indie flick that very few people probably ever heard about, not a game being talked about and therefore, to an extent being promoted, by a huge corporation.
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:13 PM #16
> TheLastBlade
Power Ranger

TheLastBlade
Power Ranger

I'm kinda curious on the last night. Gonna wait and see.
TheLastBlade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:15 PM #17
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

1. No one said anything about the title (granted I used it to describe my point). But what the plot is about.

2. Who cares about "indie" or not. If videogames has taught us more than anything, it's that indie titles can be more than the big names.

3. Can we not go one page without bringing up something "controversial" that's like page 2 at least.
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:17 PM #18
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

A bit late due to stepping out to grab my E3 badge.

Microsoft's next. First of the Big 3, here we go.

-Xbox One X

From Scorpio to...Xbox One X.

I mean. "PS4 Pro" isn't really that snazzy of a name either. I think we can deal with "Xbox One X".

FFS Nintendo over there made their console be called "Switch".

Otherwise...I don't think I'll get it. I have no real interest in 4K gaming. More horsepower for smoother-running games is nice, but it's not something I really need. Even if it is (apparently) the smallest Xbox ever.

More power (heh) to the people who are getting it.

-Forza Motorsport 7

Racing game, don't care.

-Metro: Exodus

So here's the first surprise...as in "something that wasn't leaked ahead of time".

Back to the nuclear winter wastelands of Russia. And this time I believe something about it being more open world and being able to go on the surface world more. To the point that it looks like the player character can actually breathe up there without the gas mask.

Oh, and we get to fight Yao Guai in this game.

And...that's it.

Need to go back and finish up Metro 2033. Never got far in it but the Metro franchise always did fascinate me. Looking forward to this. Part of me is a bit concerned that the game is going to look and feel a bit too much like a more serious Fallout. But we'll see.

-Assassin's Creed Origins

So finally, FINALLY announcing that yes, this game exists. Despite everyone in the world knowing that this game exists.

But yeah: when you finally hit into a design goal wall of not being able to move forward the timeline into the 20th century...guess you gotta backpedal all the way to the Ancient world. And by backpedal I mean "explore the origins of the Assassin Brotherhood".

Mercifully, looks like the UI has been cleaned up significantly. Which thank the Nine for that

So...the eagle is a drone in this game. Or rather, it's like the aerial drone in all of Ubisoft's other games. Complete with the whole "tagging enemies" mechanic.

...there's a loot system. In an Assassin's Creed game. Uhm. Why...? Is this how it's going to be? Everyone is just copying/ripping off Destiny's various gameplay systems? FFS the gear management menu even LOOKS like Destiny's!

There's even a fucking leveling system! Although in this case, it looks more like the leveling system from Far Cry. Yet another Ubisoft game.

No hint of the return of naval gameplay.

The setting itself is cool, giant snake (seriously WTF?!) and the game looks super pretty, but on the other hand...it just feels like every other cookie-cutter open world Ubisoft game. Or just grabbing game mechanics and systems from other games.

Might just wait on reviews, if at all.

-Playerunknown's Battlegrounds

So this game is coming to Xbox One. Heard about how this is a runaway success on Steam. A wonderful chaotic free for all.

Looks fun...not sure if I'm going to hop into it.

-Deep Rock Galactic

Ok, this actually looks kind of neat.

It's a space game, playing space dwarves, you're going through planets mining stuff, but occasionally attacked by space bugs. Very Starship Troopers. Looks neat.

-State of Decay 2

It's...yet-another-zombie game. I tapped out of zombie games a LONG time ago. So nope.

-The Darwin Project

So another game that is a survival-free for all game. This time something that has a closer resemblance to Hunger Games in terms of its presence. Although doesn't look to be taking itself too seriously with that cartoony art style.

Announcer was annoying though.

-Minecraft

...uhm. Minecraft. ALL the Minecraft! Cross-play Minecraft!

Yaaaayyyyy....?

(I don't play Minecraft)

-Dragonball Fighter Z

Well this is different: a sidescrolling DBZ fighting game. And made by the guys who make the Guilty Gears games? Interesting.

Although I was under the impression that people were pretty happy with the current DBZ fighting games? So why the change in direction and studio?

-Black Desert Online

So this MMO's coming to Xbox One. People probably remember it more for having the insanely expansive and pretty character creator. Although I think there was something that when the game actually launched the game was...eh.

Although per usual I'm sure the game has been fixed all over from patches. Dunno.

-The Last Night

So here's that weird-ass cyberpunk pixel art(?) game. I'm always up for more cyberpunk. I'll keep an eye on this one.

-The Artful Escape

...what the fuck did I just watch?

-Code Vein

So between this and Vampyr, vampires are coming back apparently?

Not much to say here since they just showed the trailer to announce the game from a month ago. Looks interesting.

-Sea of Thieves

And now that one game from MS-Rare has been teasing and shopping around for awhile.

I mean, I can see the appeal of grabbing a bunch of your buddies and being pirates. But I dunno. There's just something about this game that's just preventing me from declaring a must-buy.

Dunno. Could be awesome, but I just don't know.

But launching yourself in your own cannon is hilariously awesome.

-Tacoma

The next game from the guys who made Gone Home. That game I quite enjoyed. Yes, it was short, and yes, there's not a whole lot of replay value that game. But, quality over quantity. And Tacoma over here does look intriguing.

-Super Lucky's Tale

Huh. A OG-Rare-style 3D platformer game? Interesting. Looks colorful and fun.

3D platformers in general aren't my thing but still. Can it pick up the slack left behind from Yooka-Laylee? Who knows...

-Cuphead

Heeeey this game finally has a release date after being shopped around at so many goddamned previous E3's!

Always looked crazy cool with its retro cartoon art style. Glad this game is finally going to see the light of day.

-Crackdown 3

So this game's finally coming out.

...I was never a Crackdown guy, so not much to say from me.

Terry Crews is always fun to watch.

-Ashen

Ok this game looks REALLY cool.

Very moody and atmospheric, with the (seemingly) post apocalyptic setting and the simplistic art style. Looks awesome. Definitely going to keep an eye on this one.

-Life is Strange: Before the Storm

...first game is still sitting in my Steam library. Still need to get to it.

I believe this game is supposed to be a prequel to the first game?

Anyways, can't say much about it since I haven't even played the first game yet. Aside from hearing that it's awesome.

-Middle-Earth: Shadows of War

...ok Bruz over here is awesome.

Was always a bit hesitant to touch the first game, but I hear that it's fun. Should at least keep an eye on this one.

-Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Well. The live piano accompaniment was a VERY good touch. Certainly a step up from the silly song and dance skits from EA.

Didn't play the previous Ori game, but I hear that it's a very popular indie game. Know the one classmate that loves the game.

Maybe should dust off the first one. And if I like it, keep an eye on this one.

-Backwards compatibility with Xbox Original games

Normally I would say this is pretty awesome and is unprecedented for Microsoft to do this...but with that pie chart Star posted a few days ago, since apparently not a lot of people use the BC capabilities of Xbox One it's...not that impressive.

On the other hand, heeeey Crimson Skies!!!

-Anthem

...so it's Destiny except you're Iron Man?

Sure. I'm game.

Ok fine: I get that people still aren't 100% on board with the existence of MMO-lite looter shooters like Destiny and The Division. Me personally though? I think this sub-genre has a lot of promise. Way too soon to declare that the genre is dead or that it needs to die.

Besides. I wanna zip around in my post-apocalyptic world as Iron Man fighting giant mutated monstrosities. Ain't that enough?

----------------------------------------
Verdict: So on first look...looooooot of games here. But did Microsoft choose quantity over quality? Well...

Like here's secret I'm not sure you guys know about:

I don't play every single game that gets announced. I don't.

Some of these games look pretty good. Trouble is, is that some of these games are ones that belong to genres I was never interested in. State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3, Forza Motorsport 7, I'm sure those will all be fine games. They're just not games that I'm interested in.

So...Microsoft seemed to be promoting the idea of games itself being diverse. Like, that we live in a time where the games coming out, there's something for everyone. That even if not every game is appealing to *YOU*, that game could be appealing to someone else.

Which I think is what Microsoft is trying to capture: highlighting games made for different kind of gamers. Which in that front they did splendidly.

Now whether it was good enough to convince people to buy an Xbox One/X if they haven't already...a bit more of a tough call.

A lot of the indie titles are ones that are going to be on PC. And among the Xbox exclusives it's sort of a case where there's only like 1-2 that interest people, among the 22 announced.

Not a complete loss, but it is tricky to try to get every gamer to buy and play every game announced.

So...Microsoft did alright. Better then EA, but still alright.

Last edited by TeraMan; June 11th, 2017 at 08:22 PM.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:31 PM #19
> Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

Allio wrote: View Post

1. No one said anything about the title (granted I used it to describe my point). But what the plot is about.
...You literally can't say "No one said anything about the title" and then admit that you mentioned titles. You've just negated yourself.

2. Who cares about "indie" or not. If videogames has taught us more than anything, it's that indie titles can be more than the big names.
Except in the case of the movie you mentioned, it definitely doesn't give off the vibe that any significant number of people have mentioned it. Not to mention you're comparing an indie movie to a game that clearly has the backing of a major corporation.

3. Can we not go one page without bringing up something "controversial" that's like page 2 at least.
It's topical. It's something that was just announced by a huge corporation today at the biggest(?) North American game convention. What would be different about waiting a page to mention it?
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:41 PM #20
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

the title was hardly the point though. As the conversation was the plot outline. The title was a catalyst as so I didn't have to go into complete summary of the film (and it was shit) also pointing out regarding "title" really misses the point.

Also, remember the controversy of "Hatred," yeah neither does anyone else. I wouldn't really put much thought into the game.

Tags
video games