RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Merchandise
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old November 14th, 2017, 10:37 AM   #4821
Dino_Ranger_White
White Ranger_Dino Power!

Yeah, I think we can all safely say the movie and all related merchandise was
a huge FAIL for the franchise, as a whole.

Either that, or it showed just how niche the group of people who are still fans
of Power Rangers really is, numbers-wise.

Hopefully Christmas will clear all the garbage off the shelves, but even
that is not a given, considering that a lot of Walmarts are sitting on
stockpiles of Movie Morphers they cannot give away at $10.00.

Think about it this way…
When is the last time a Bandai MORPHER has shelf warmed for so long?
Dino_Ranger_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 12:52 PM   #4822
GalaxyGlider
Power Ranger

I also spotted In Space at Walgreens. The legacy figures are 15.99 at Target.
GalaxyGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #4823
Falcon6
Its time to d-d-d-d-dduel

eBay
Dino_Ranger_White wrote: View Post

Think about it this way…
I would agree. Positive opinions aside, I agree that neither the movie or toys performed well in the states. It also didnt help that the movie zords were competing with voltron lions either. The female 5" figures were off, but I believe bandai said saban changed concept art after the initial designs were changed? I would say the legendary morpher, but even I bought one. Full price didnt suck so bad with that one, but I couldnt justify 25 for the movie one; it just didnt do much. With SMF, DC and NS, the morpher has plenty of sounds, but the movie one made, what, one?
Falcon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:44 PM   #4824
TheTerrorToad87
Mmm...Power Rangers....

eBay

Think about it this way…
Yeah I knew the movie was going to be a tough sell. It was PG-13 so most of the kids who watch the show didn't see it, which also pretty much doomed the toy line, and it wasn't enough like the original show for purely nostalgia driven viewers to go see it. So considering the relatively small group that was left I think it performed pretty darn well.
TheTerrorToad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:50 PM   #4825
Dino_Ranger_White
White Ranger_Dino Power!

Falcon6 wrote: View Post

I would agree. Positive opinions aside, I agree that neither the movie or toys performed well in the states. It also didnt help that the movie zords were competing with voltron lions either. The female 5" figures were off, but I believe bandai said saban changed concept art after the initial designs were changed? I would say the legendary morpher, but even I bought one. Full price didnt suck so bad with that one, but I couldnt justify 25 for the movie one; it just didnt do much. With SMF, DC and NS, the morpher has plenty of sounds, but the movie one made, what, one?
That was probably one of the biggest issues with the Movie Morpher,
it seemed like it was just phoned in, design-wise.

The coins looked decent, but the functionality and design of the morpher
was just so-so.
Dino_Ranger_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #4826
Ranger4612
Power Ranger

That was probably one of the biggest issues with the Movie Morpher,
it seemed like it was just phoned in, design-wise.

The coins looked decent, but the functionality and design of the morpher
was just so-so.
I think that stemmed largely from the lack of actual morpher functionality in the movie itself, they just didn't have any gimmicks that they could incorporate. I would have preferred an always on LED mode, where you could display it with the coin actually revealed instead of only briefly seeing it after cranking on that lever. But other than that, I can't think of any other features that would've made sense.
Ranger4612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 03:23 PM   #4827
GoldBlade6
Power Ranger

The movie stuff looked like a drab, gray mess. For the uninitiated, who could tell what the heck those "zords" even were of? The designs were ugly. Minimal paint. Minimal action features. The morpher wasn't even used in the movie, and it's basically just a hunk of gray that lights up in the middle, and for what it does, it is unnecessarily bulky. The Legacy 6" movie figures and Target's metallic-y set were the best things to come out of this movie.
GoldBlade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #4828
mjt2
Quark tastic

All of the official movie toys look like dollar store knock offs made of toxic plastic.
mjt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 09:39 PM   #4829
Dark storm
Power Ranger

Are they really THAT set on doing MMPR so long that they won't finally just do Shogun Megazord just to use that as an excuse to not get out of that line so they have something to go back to later on?
Yeah, forget Tor, Serpenterra, or Ninjor. If we get Shogun Megazord out of the way now, we'll either have to move on to Zeo, or rerelease everything in black, and we know fans will get tired of that.
Seems they really don't want to do deluxe megazords anymore. Just everything else they can possibly think tank to keep MMPR going for 20 more years. Seriously tho, can't we get a little glimmer of other seasons to go along with the Super Sentai releases?
Dark storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:02 PM   #4830
mmprfan09
One In A Million

I think the movie toys personally were terrible. The ranger figures look like those bootleg toys you get at swap meets. The rangers had No weapons or accesories, bad paint apps, the helmets lack any real detail, Megazord was just a huge ugly gray brick, triceratops and mastodon were weird bug hybrids, etc. so many reasons why those toys failed. Look at that movie morpher. Bland, bland bland all around. They tried too hard to be different from the show and failed.
mmprfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:27 PM   #4831
NeoPhoenix86
Power Ranger

The movie toys were just so poorly done. I'm not going to rehash what everyone said, since its all been covered, However, this was kind of a slap in the face to the brand. The standard figures and zords for the shows displayed higher quality than they did. You would think that they would have put in more effort for something that was a higher end movie line.

To be fair though, they really didn't have much to work with in the movie designs themselves. Both the suits and zords had so much detail/complexity in them that it would have been difficult to produce something that was passable in quality and could still be in the price range for kids. At least based on Bandai's current manufacturing standards.
NeoPhoenix86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:53 PM   #4832
Xenotome
💎✨Queen Syuusuke✨💎

From the way the toys turned out it screamed to me that Lionsgate did not consult Bandai at all in the design process. Had they I think they would off stressed the importance of the combiner aspect of the Megazord because apparently in the original cut of the movie the zords fell into the pit, touched the Zeo Crystal, and out came the Megazord fully formed. It was only later that test audience didn't like that that they added the glimpse of transformation even if the design didn't really do much make it appear as a combiner.

I just don't think Lionsgate gave a shit on that end because likely the only people seeing toy money were Saban & Bandai. I think Bandai as co-owner really should of stepped their foot in and stood their ground as co-owners of the franchise the same way Hasbro does with Transformers.
Xenotome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:48 PM   #4833
Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay
Frankly, for the Megazord's look, I'm accepting the idea that similarly to how the Zords originally formed to look like the mightiest creatures on Earth, they now reformed once again, as now Goldar was the mightiest creature on Earth - it would explain the overall design similarities and I've heard it's actually said pretty outright in the novel.

As for the overall movie toys - to each their own. I quite like the basic 5" Action Heroes, especially with the paint job from the Target 6-pack. I loved those so much I went out of my way to track down Rita and Alpha too. And the Rita figure looks quite decent in photos (mine isn't with me yet).

Both Megazords were a mess - one was flimsy and expensive, the other one lacked articulation. But they both did something great and that's having figures to be put in the cockpits - I love that!

The morpher I still think is pretty good. Not at it's original price, but for a discounted one - I'd say it's worth the purchase. I love the lights and the camera shutter effect and the power coins are also quite decent. It's perfect for somebody who's not willing to fork out 100$ for the coins, but would still like to have them.

Last edited by Red Dino Ranger; November 14th, 2017 at 11:57 PM.
Red Dino Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 04:40 AM   #4834
Space-blue
Power Ranger

Target.com has the metallic rangers right now. Hurry before they sell out!!!! Just got the last one I needed.
Space-blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 07:30 AM   #4835
Ranger4612
Power Ranger

Red Dino Ranger wrote: View Post

Frankly, for the Megazord's look, I'm accepting the idea that similarly to how the Zords originally formed to look like the mightiest creatures on Earth, they now reformed once again, as now Goldar was the mightiest creature on Earth - it would explain the overall design similarities and I've heard it's actually said pretty outright in the novel.
Which is fine, but then do they break apart afterwards to return to the hangar, or do the Rangers now have a Pacific Rim style mech bay that houses this monstrous creation? It just wasn't given a lot of thought for the aftermath of these types of decisions.

As for your question Dark Storm, about the Shogun Megazord, we've been told that Bandai is looking at it, and someone a few pages back said they believed it was on hold to be the crown jewel of the 25th anniversary line based on their info. Take that with as many grains of salt as you wish, but I believe we'll know more about a potential Legacy Shogun MZ before the end of next year. In the meantime, we are easing into Zeo with the Zeonizer and the Gold Zeo Staff early next year, and the sales numbers for those will likely dictate how much further beyond MMPR this line goes. Keep in mind, retailers drive this bus just as much, if not more so than Bandai does, because it wasn't Bandai's decision to spilt wave 3 of the Legacy figures, retailers said they only wanted MMPR because that's what sells in their eyes. If these two new items sell decently, we could see stores begin to be more receptive to non-MMPR stuff.
Ranger4612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 08:25 AM   #4836
Vaportrail
Power Ranger

Red Dino Ranger wrote: View Post

Frankly, for the Megazord's look, I'm accepting the idea that similarly to how the Zords originally formed to look like the mightiest creatures on Earth, they now reformed once again, as now Goldar was the mightiest creature on Earth - it would explain the overall design similarities and I've heard it's actually said pretty outright in the novel
If the movie had made that clear, this would be a little more acceptable.
However, I believe that a big part in the movie's disappointing turnout, as well as the shelf-warming, is the fact that the production tampered with the iconography. They should've kept the designs much closer to the original, instead of falling in line with the organic/metal trend which all the movies seem to do, but none of the fans actually seem to like.

The suits are close, they're just too complicated and blue diamonds were the wrong choice. The Power Rangers had to learn to morph like Luke had to learn to use the Force. I don't mind it as a film storyline, but I mind it as altering the core of what defines the Rangers. Those toy morphers warming the shelves aren't even featured in the movie as anything more than a belt buckle. A young kid new to the franchise may not have even noticed this detail, so why would have want to play with it the same way all of us did in the 90s?
Why would he want a big, globby robot animal with minimal articulation that forms into a weird gangly grey thing? We want the big robot with dinosaurs for arms and legs.
They really hurt themselves by allowing such drastic changes. This I believe.

Last edited by Vaportrail; November 15th, 2017 at 11:32 AM.
Vaportrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #4837
NUMBERONEJD
Power Ranger

New figures spotted in cali! I just saw on instagram
NUMBERONEJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 03:08 PM   #4838
budd20
Power Ranger

NUMBERONEJD wrote: View Post

New figures spotted in cali! I just saw on instagram
Can you post a link of the pictures thanks