Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2018, 06:50 AM #1
LazerwolfX's Avatar
> LazerwolfX
Fight of Hammer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,416
LazerwolfX
Fight of Hammer
LazerwolfX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,416



Power Rangers isn’t “whitewashing”

So I recently encountered a some individuals on Twitter who referred to Power Rangers as “Sentai Blackface” and “Whitewashed Sentai”.

I’ve never heard these statements used, ironic or otherwise but it was something that I felt warranted a larger discussion and I figured I’d throw my two cents in.

I feel like these kinda of statements fail on a handful of levels, first and foremost that they in no way aknowledge how front and center Power Ranger’s diverse casting is in nearly every season.

I feel as though you have to completely ignore the obvious to uninronically believe a statement like this. Additionally, the only way you could equate PR to blackface is to either not understand how fucked up that comparison is or to simply want to shock people with your incredible edginess.

Curious as to other people’s thoughts on this madness.
LazerwolfX is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 06:52 AM #2
Virus's Avatar
> Virus
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,207
Virus
Power Ranger
Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,207



Just stay off Twitter. Its a toxic cesspool.
Virus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 06:57 AM #3
Merlin's Avatar
> Merlin
Legendary Flaming Wizard
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 25,433
Merlin
Legendary Flaming Wizard
Merlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 25,433



I guess that makes Sport Ranger, Dino Force Brave, and Battle Strike Team Giant Saver cultural appropriation.

Oh and don't forget that horrible yellowface 1978 Spider-Man, those racists.
Merlin is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 07:39 AM #4
Sadsmileyface's Avatar
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 24,694
eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.
Sadsmileyface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 24,694
eBay



Twitter is literally run by neo Nazis.
Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Old October 19th, 2018, 07:47 AM #5
Virus's Avatar
> Virus
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,207
Virus
Power Ranger
Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,207



Sadsmileyface wrote: View Post

Twitter is literally run by neo Nazis.
How so? Looks to me that they are ran by people who hate Neo Nazis. Problem is they throw the term out towards people far to much.
Virus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:03 AM #6
Allio's Avatar
> Allio
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,634
Allio
Power Ranger
Allio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,634



I feel like ones opinions on both sides could work as it seems like there is a good debate one could make from both sides.

On one hand, Power Rangers is aesthetically a repackaged japanese product for for a western audience with a face lift. Just in comparison along of western super heros vs japanese superheroe power rangers of course falls on the japanese superheroes aspect because Transformation Heroes aren't really a thing in the west (aside from a couple of exceptions.) It's kind of a weeaboo show if iyou think about it. It's one of the reasons I don't think Power Rangers will really be treated seriously in the west because there is a part of it that will always be japanese at it's core.

On the other hand superheroes has often times had lineages of characters that would take on a mantle. Even with the japanese heroes this doesn't change. Ultraman have had different hosts, and Garo has three western users (Leon, alfonso and Sword). So in the regards of this, I see Power Rangers is to Sentai as any legacy superhero taking up a mantle.

Merlin wrote: View Post

I guess that makes Sport Ranger, Dino Force Brave, and Battle Strike Team Giant Saver cultural appropriation.

Oh and don't forget that horrible yellowface 1978 Spider-Man, those racists.
Nah man, don't you know? According to the internet it's only racist if it happens in America.
Allio is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:03 AM #7
Sadsmileyface's Avatar
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 24,694
eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.
Sadsmileyface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 24,694
eBay



Virus wrote: View Post

How so? Looks to me that they are ran by people who hate Neo Nazis. Problem is they throw the term out towards people far to much.
Twitter's management has (up until only very, very recently) sought out and verified alt-right hate groups, its leaders and influential members. Verified accounts enjoy signal boosting versus the accounts that you or I have. Twitter's CEO Jack Dorsey has been called out on this repeatedly and he and his team have done precious little to resolve the problem on the platform. They don't appear to have any problems with that content.
Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:08 AM #8
Virus's Avatar
> Virus
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,207
Virus
Power Ranger
Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,207



Sadsmileyface wrote: View Post

Twitter's management has (up until only very, very recently) sought out and verified alt-right hate groups, its leaders and influential members. Verified accounts enjoy signal boosting versus the accounts that you or I have. Twitter's CEO Jack Dorsey has been called out on this repeatedly and he and his team have done precious little to resolve the problem on the platform. They don't appear to have any problems with that content.
That doesn't make them Neo Nazis though. Twitter was a free platform that anyone was free to use. We do have free speech in this country, regardless how appalling it is. Its called big business
Virus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:09 AM #9
MutekiDragon's Avatar
> MutekiDragon
Mastodon Ranger Sentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 225
MutekiDragon
Mastodon Ranger Sentry
MutekiDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 225



Sadsmileyface wrote: View Post

Twitter is literally run by neo Nazis.
This is a topic for a different thread. Can we not do this here?



As for the topic at hand I don't believe Power Rangers is whitewashing. There are other far better examples of that.
MutekiDragon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:12 AM #10
Virus's Avatar
> Virus
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,207
Virus
Power Ranger
Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,207



MutekiDragon wrote: View Post

This is a topic for a different thread. Can we not do this here?



As for the topic at hand I don't believe Power Rangers is whitewashing. There are other far better examples of that.
Agreed and my above post will be the last of it. The closest you can say PR was whitewashing was Samurai. Because I totally believe that Jayden was of Japanese decent.
Virus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:17 AM #11
Miraculous Bikkun's Avatar
> Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,087
Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!
Miraculous Bikkun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,087



Yeah, Samurai you can't excuse away. Especially when you had the flimsy escape plan of copying the Shinkenger storyline with Red.... and they just made her his full sister.

Of course, this was also the same season that cast a Thai man as an Hispanic character so... you know.
Miraculous Bikkun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:25 AM #12
christopherjohn's Avatar
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,074
christopherjohn
VIP Rider
christopherjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,074



It depends on how many generations and which parent the kid takes after. My kid looks white with an half asian mother.
christopherjohn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:43 AM #13
Merlin's Avatar
> Merlin
Legendary Flaming Wizard
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 25,433
Merlin
Legendary Flaming Wizard
Merlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 25,433



MMPR was conceived as an opportunity to show racial diversity in a young North American group. I don't believe an all-white cast was ever intended.

Now, if they're using "whitewashing" in a misunderstood sense that much of Sentai is socially "Westernized" to be presented for North American sensibilities, such as violence levels, language, and storylines differently from Japan, that would be absolutely true. But that's a whole other can of worms and has nothing to do with skin colour.
Merlin is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:47 AM #14
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,304
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,304



The only examples of whitewashing in PR was Jayden, Lauren and their father in Power Rangers Samurai, not to mention that Tommy was revealed to be of Native American descent in Alien Rangers.

Last edited by AdrenalineRush; October 19th, 2018 at 10:10 PM.
AdrenalineRush is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 09:03 AM #15
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
> Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,000
Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster
Zeo Cereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,000



Merlin wrote: View Post

Now, if they're using "whitewashing" in a misunderstood sense that much of Sentai is socially "Westernized" to be presented for North American sensibilities, such as violence levels, language, and storylines differently from Japan, that would be absolutely true. But that's a whole other can of worms and has nothing to do with skin colour.
It's a messy can of worms, but the label is simple: don't confuse "watered down" with "whitewashed".
Zeo Cereal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 09:07 AM #16
LazerwolfX's Avatar
> LazerwolfX
Fight of Hammer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,416
LazerwolfX
Fight of Hammer
LazerwolfX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,416



Allio wrote: View Post

I feel like ones opinions on both sides could work as it seems like there is a good debate one could make from both sides.

On one hand, Power Rangers is aesthetically a repackaged japanese product for for a western audience with a face lift. Just in comparison along of western super heros vs japanese superheroe power rangers of course falls on the japanese superheroes aspect because Transformation Heroes aren't really a thing in the west (aside from a couple of exceptions.) It's kind of a weeaboo show if iyou think about it. It's one of the reasons I don't think Power Rangers will really be treated seriously in the west because there is a part of it that will always be japanese at it's core.

On the other hand superheroes has often times had lineages of characters that would take on a mantle. Even with the japanese heroes this doesn't change. Ultraman have had different hosts, and Garo has three western users (Leon, alfonso and Sword). So in the regards of this, I see Power Rangers is to Sentai as any legacy superhero taking up a mantle.
Interesting, I think a big part of it, for me, is that PR has had this long standing commitment to having teams of mixed ethnicities (to obviously varying degrees). I feel it’s a mischaracterization to simply label it all as whitewashing without any further elaboration or nuance applied to that statement.

Sure it doesn’t always work and there are some genuine cases of whitewashing such as in Samurai but I strongly believe that Power Rangers has always made an effort to be inclusive and demonstrate that race isn’t what makes a ranger. Just seems to over simplify the point.

Not to mention that by this same logic, Toei’s Spider-Man is “asian washing” (ugh, I hate even typing that) which is clearly nonsense. It’s simply an adaptation of a western property for a Japanese audience with power Rangers serving as the inverse of that idea.
LazerwolfX is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 09:09 AM #17
Shirubaa's Avatar
> Shirubaa
Mr. Silver
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,675
32 eBay
Shirubaa
Mr. Silver
Shirubaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,675
32 eBay



This thread went way better than I expected. I'm proud of you bunch for once.
Shirubaa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 09:29 AM #18
Ataruman's Avatar
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,495
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger
Ataruman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,495



Whitewashing? With Haim Saban's obsession of showing off all the different type of people America has? With how many kids had their eyes open that superheroes weren't just white men and women?

If anything, Power Rangers may be an adaptation but it's pretty much the Beneltons of superheroes...and I'm proud of that.
Ataruman is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Old October 19th, 2018, 09:50 AM #19
Arkvoodle's Avatar
> Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,727
eBay
Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!
Arkvoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,727
eBay



Merlin wrote: View Post

MMPR was conceived as an opportunity to show racial diversity in a young North American group. I don't believe an all-white cast was ever intended.

.
Of course then there's that whole "Black man=Black Ranger & Asian woman=Yellow Ranger" thing.


which I know is supposed to be unintentional but even all these years later stands out as such a bad choice.
Arkvoodle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 10:09 AM #20
> Xenotome
💖✨Ian & Souji✨💖
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 27,911
Xenotome
💖✨Ian & Souji✨💖
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 27,911



Ataruman wrote: View Post

Whitewashing? With Haim Saban's obsession of showing off all the different type of people America has? With how many kids had their eyes open that superheroes weren't just white men and women?

If anything, Power Rangers may be an adaptation but it's pretty much the Beneltons of superheroes...and I'm proud of that.
Power Rangers does white wash tho. There hasn't been a non-white character who was not just incidentally that color. We can put more emphasis on white people being from Australia, New Zealand, or hell even Scotland. When it comes to a POC their culture and their background is completely irrelevant to them as a character. The one time in 15 years that it hasn't it was a Thai actor who they made Latino and whose latino identity was summed up only by the spanish catchphrases he said but they also couldn't be TOO Spanish so the kids could understand.

Power Rangers needs to SEVERELY work on how they present identity to a character who is not white.
Xenotome is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.