Home Menu

Menu

Old July 21st, 2017, 05:11 PM #1
> ⚡McAster
I engage in motion

McAster
I engage in motion

Sonic The Hedgehog. A Force, a Boom, A Mania, A IDW Comic

Well time for a reboot. Don't worry, no "we wish we were making a Final Fantasy" experience here, just a good Robotnik screwed it all up and we got a new thread.

So let's recap where we are with current and upcoming

Television:
Sonic Boom the cartoon has meta level humour and is better than it has any right to be.

Games:
Sonic Mania is the upcoming 2D Side Scroller made by fans, for fans coming this August for all major platforms.
Fans of Sonic 2, CD, and 3 & Knuckles will find a lot to love here.

Sonic Forces is the successor to Sonic Generations, and now lets you create your own character. That's right, now you can be "Sonic's dumb friend". You get to be the next Blaze the Cat or Jet the Eagle or what have you.

Sonic Runners, the mobile endless runner that just keeps going.

Comic:
The deal with Archie comics has officially ended. Resulting in the longest running American series to be officially cancelled, as well as the Mega Drive stories to not be finished.

However in their place comes a new deal with IDW. No creative team is currently announced, but a lot of interest from some talented artists and writers is there.
IDW has done a great job with Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles, and many others.
So it's in safe hands.

Ice Cream: Blue Raspberry and Cherry flavored frozen confection shaped in the likeness of Sonic™ with gumball eyes... still looks like it's Sonic screaming in pain. Delicious though.
McAster is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 06:43 PM #2
> SuperStar
Power Ranger

SuperStar
Power Ranger

I hope Ian Flynn is back for IDW, but considering he doesn't even know it's probably not likely
SuperStar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 07:00 PM #3
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

I'm gonna bet Ken Penders won't be involved.
RitoRevolto is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 07:58 PM #4
> comicstar100
Pirate King

comicstar100
Pirate King

Excited to see what IDW does with Sonic. I'm hoping the Sat AM characters aren't all but forgotten though.
comicstar100 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 08:19 PM #5
> SuperStar
Power Ranger

SuperStar
Power Ranger

I'm wondering what sort of liberties the story will be given this time around. The Post-Genesis Wave story was cool with how familiar it was with the games, but Sega didn't allow any new character relations to be made or established. I imagine it would be the same since it's still Sega, but I can dream.
SuperStar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 10:30 PM #6
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

SuperStar wrote: View Post

I hope Ian Flynn is back for IDW, but considering he doesn't even know it's probably not likely
Well, they could at least publish the unpublished issues 291-294 (issue 291 was close to being published before it was cancelled two weeks before it was going to be published and was going to wrap up Genesis of a Hero) in order to give closure for the Archie era before start afresh with a new take not connected to both the original and rebooted Archie eras.
AdrenalineRush is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 10:32 PM #7
> Xenotome
💎💎Lil 'Roki💎💎

Xenotome
💎💎Lil 'Roki💎💎

AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

Well, they could at least publish the unpublished issues 291-294 (issue 291 was close to being published before it was cancelled two weeks before it was going to be published and was going to wrap up Genesis of a Hero) in order to give closure for the Archie era before start afresh with a new take not connected to both the original and rebooted Archie eras.
Pretty sure that's not legal...
Xenotome is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 10:41 PM #8
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Xenotome wrote: View Post

Pretty sure that's not legal...
Which I will now post quote these three comments from the old thread:

Do you realise that it's quite common for comic books to switch publishers, right? It is possible that those unpublished issues will be published under the "Lost Issues" title as in the ones that were originally planned to be published by the original publisher, but didn't. The new publisher could probably publish the unpublished issues and do stories that finish off the Archie era before starting afresh. Issue 291-294 have have been solicited but never published and prior to the confirmation, I was hoping that the series would end with issue 300 before a new publisher began publishing a new comic book not connected to the Archie series.

Keep in mind that some of the early IDW Transformers comics were going to be published by Dreamwave before IDW picked it up after Dreamwave folded plus the unpublished material from Alan Moore's V for Vendetta was published by DC in addition to Moore concluding the story after Warrior magazine folded.
Digifiend wrote: View Post

And Titan have re-released IDW's Doctor Who comics in new Archives trades. Haven't Marvel also re-released some of Dark Horse's Star Wars material? So yeah, a change of publisher won't stop that unreleased Archie Sonic material seeing the light of day, assuming that the issues were indeed produced.
veemonjosh wrote: View Post

Also, to use an example involving Archie, both Mirage Studios and IDW have been able to reprint Archie's TMNT Adventures comics without needing to pay royalties to Archie. As long as the writers and artists were all paid for their work before the comic was canceled, there shouldn't be any problems with a new publisher printing the unpublished issues.

My only concern is how much work was actually completed for those issues; #291 was definitely finished (it was pulled only two weeks before publication) and likely Universe 95 was as well, along with Mega Drive: Overdrive, but beyond that who knows. They'd probably have to complete the artwork in some cases, or make the artwork from the ground up if all that exists are Ian Flynn's scripts.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 04:29 AM #9
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Yeah, there's nothing to stop them doing so - the copyright belongs to Sega - but I don't think they will use the unpublished Archie material though. They could just start in November (the first month that hasn't already been solicited) if they were doing that, instead of next year, as they would be able to publish the issues while waiting for their own creative team to be ready.
Digifiend is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 04:34 AM #10
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

An online fan continuation of the pre reboot Archie Comics can be found here

http://archiesoniconline.com/
Cameron Samurai is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 04:36 AM #11
> MerCurryMeme
Fear/Pain

MerCurryMeme
Fear/Pain

So, I'm gonna call it here and now.

Infinite is the answer to our Original the OC (The Custom character xD). Eggman created him and it was a unholy birth that left Infinite in unimaginable pain, as his Image Song details quite a lot. Cue creative insight into edgy fan ocs like Coldsteel and the like.

But I gotta say, after so many months of me not being totally into Forces? I'm in!
MerCurryMeme is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 04:44 AM #12
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Yeah, there's nothing to stop them doing so - the copyright belongs to Sega - but I don't think they will use the unpublished Archie material though. They could just start in November (the first month that hasn't already been solicited) if they were doing that, instead of next year, as they would be able to publish the issues while waiting for their own creative team to be ready.
It could be possible in order to give closure to the era and to satisfy fans who are saddened to hear about the cancellation but I do see your point.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 08:30 AM #13
> Bluecatcinema
Power Ranger

Bluecatcinema
Power Ranger

It's a shame the Archie comic series had to end so abrubtly. But on the other hand, it had become such a mess over the last few years that maybe ending it was the best thing to do.

Hopefully, IDW will do a better job.

Last edited by Bluecatcinema; July 22nd, 2017 at 11:11 AM.
Bluecatcinema is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 09:40 AM #14
> Otokusastu Zetto
♥ Worship our LupinKudo ♥

Otokusastu Zetto

Bluecatcinema wrote: View Post

It's a shame the Archie comic series had to end on so abrubtly. But on the other hand, it had become such a mess over the last few years that maybe ending it was the best thing to do.
Thanks Ken Penders

Anyway Speaking of IDW is there a Revolution dedicated topic in RangerBoard ?
Otokusastu Zetto is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:05 AM #15
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

Games: Some people are less than pleased but I'm loving Infinite. He's delightfully over the top.

Cartoons: Loving Sonic Boom and hoping a Season 3 get's greenlit.

Comics: AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm so ecstatic. I'm glad to hear that they're meeting with Popular Sonic Creators and new ones. I'm almost hoping they pull from IDW's talent pool. Gimme Erik Burnham penned Sonic please.
SonicBlueRanger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:57 AM #16
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Otokusastu Zetto wrote: View Post

Thanks Ken Penders

Anyway Speaking of IDW is there a Revolution dedicated topic in RangerBoard ?
A quick search for idw revolution only brought up five threads. This one, two Transformers threads, and two general comic book threads. So no, feel free to make one.
Digifiend is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 11:06 AM #17
> Otokusastu Zetto

Otokusastu Zetto

A quick search for idw revolution only brought up five threads. This one, two Transformers threads, and two general comic book threads. So no, feel free to make one.
Thanks for this input well I'll make you even though I don't follow much IDW Transformers I have hard time here in France to keep track.
Otokusastu Zetto is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 11:14 AM #18
> Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

SonicBlueRanger wrote: View Post

Games: Some people are less than pleased but I'm loving Infinite. He's delightfully over the top.

Cartoons: Loving Sonic Boom and hoping a Season 3 get's greenlit.

Comics: AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I'm so ecstatic. I'm glad to hear that they're meeting with Popular Sonic Creators and new ones. I'm almost hoping they pull from IDW's talent pool. Gimme Erik Burnham penned Sonic please.
Boom had a second season? Didn't even know! Thanks, buddy. Running after it NOW!

EDIT: Just watched the first episode. It's still too good. Love the episode even played the AoStH main theme at some point. Which is further proof of why this show is so fun: it takes after the best Sonic cartoon.

Last edited by Spider-Phoenix; July 22nd, 2017 at 12:13 PM.
Spider-Phoenix is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 02:01 PM #19
> SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

Keep in mind that some of the early IDW Transformers comics were going to be published by Dreamwave before IDW picked it up after Dreamwave folded...
Not true. IDW's G1 series was a hard reboot.

Closest it came was the Beast Wars series IDW did, since it had the same writer & artist Dreamwave's BW series was going to have, but even that was altered and the pages that had been released were redrawn from scratch (similar, but different).
SanityOrMadness is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 02:08 PM #20
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

SanityOrMadness wrote: View Post

Closest it came was the Beast Wars series IDW did, since it had the same writer & artist Dreamwave's BW series was going to have, but even that was altered and the pages that had been released were redrawn from scratch (similar, but different).
I never specfied which early IDW TF comic was originally planned to be a Dreamwave title, but I will state which ones were originally Dreamwave titles: The Gathering and Megatron Origin. They were retooled when they switched publishers as in altered and redrawn from scratch. I never said that the G1 IDW continuity was originally planned to be a Dreamwave reboot of their G1 continuity. I said some, not all.

Last edited by AdrenalineRush; July 25th, 2017 at 08:04 AM.