RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: On a Scale of 1-5, how would you rate this movie?
1. Diagnosis: Destroy 1 1.82%
2. Diagnosis: Regrettable 0 0%
3. Diagnosis: I am satisfied with this movie 4 7.27%
4. Diagnosis: Big 24 43.64%
5. Diagnosis: Immortal 26 47.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Quantum Wolf
Confusion & Delay!

Disney's Big Hero 6 (#54, Now a TV Series)

While we wait for the 53rd big Disney movie, Frozen, to come out, here's what's coming next...

The very first main Disney movie to feature Marvel characters.

Based off the (obscure) Marvel Comics team of the same name, the movie is set in a fictional metropolis called San Fransokyo (a portmanteau inspired by San Francisco and Tokyo). Big Hero 6 will be centered on a young prodigy named Hiro Hamada and his self-created robot Baymax, both of whom uncover a criminal plot and must join a team of inexperienced crime fighters.

Will be released November 2014.
Quantum Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

Calling it right now: Best Disney movie ever.

Press Release wrote:
San Fransokyo (a portmanteau inspired by San Francisco and Tokyo)
Pretty sure you require brain damage to need an explanation on that one.
Ankh Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
tasti man LH
[[Unamused]]

Fransokyo.

It just rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it...
tasti man LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #4
⚡McAster
I engage in motion

Fran
So
Kee
Yo.

Not that bad really, and most likely will barely be mentioned.
McAster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #5
tasti man LH
[[Unamused]]

Well now I just wonder if maybe behind the scenes they had a really really hard time deciding if they wanted San Francisco or Tokyo as their setting, and someone threw their hands up and just said "Screw it! We'll just have the city be both at the same time!!!"

Or maybe they could just have it that the city has a huge Little Tokyo district to San Francisco and leave it at that.

(yes, I realize I might be over-thinking this. screw that though)
Old May 9th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #6
dquan87
Power Ranger

nice can't wait to see this movie.
dquan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #7
⚡McAster
I engage in motion

tasti man LH wrote: View Post

Well now I just wonder if maybe behind the scenes they had a really really hard time deciding if they wanted San Francisco or Tokyo as their setting, and someone threw their hands up and just said "Screw it! We'll just have the city be both at the same time!!!"

Or maybe they could just have it that the city has a huge Little Tokyo district to San Francisco and leave it at that.

(yes, I realize I might be over-thinking this. screw that though)
They went with the mash-up not because they couldn't decide, but rather to have something that was like the real world, but obviously fantasy.

Don Hall wrote:
Marvel properties take place in the real world,” Hall said. “We were looking for something to do where we could make our own world — bring in the Japanese influences, have recognizable landmarks mashed up with a Japanese aesthetic.
It's inspired and based on the Marvel comic, but it's going to be very much a Disney adventure story with it's own "not quite real world" setting. Should do great for that.
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Quantum Wolf
Confusion & Delay!

Yeah, I got the date wrong. It's November, not September. Think that can be changed?

I wonder how the roster will be. THey obviously can't use Silver Samurai and Sunfire because they're part of the X-Men. Actually that's what make me wonder the most. Considering this is an obscure team, will people bite? It reminds me of how Guardians of the Galaxy has a movie.

Also, the fact that it's in a fictionalized city and not directly in Tokyo itself (where the Big Hero 6 are normally based at), makes me think this will either focus on an entirely original team or take massive liberties with the original comics.
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #9
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Honeslty I think the fact it's so far off the radar with Marvel that no one will know any better and it should be awesome.
Ataruman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #10
⚡McAster
I engage in motion

It's was pitched and will be written entirely as though it was just another Disney Animated film, so only based on the comic in the same way Snow White was based on the tale collected by the Brothers Grimm with plenty of liberties and more fantastical world they lived in.

If people are going to bite, it's because it's Disney Animated and really nothing to do with the comic original. They might be confused when they see the Marvel logo and ask if it has anything to do with the Avengers (it doesn't, just to clear that away now), but that's it at most.
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #11
Leanbow
Manly Morphozoid

Is it Pixar or just regular animation?

EDIT: Got my answer. I somehow missed the little people on the train the first time I watched the clip.
Leanbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #12
BuraiLives
GREENISH RANGER!

Interesting. As a lifelong Marvel reader I have never heard of this before. O_o

But, Sunfire is connected to it...so, it should be awesome!
BuraiLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #13
Adara.2
Power Ranger

Gonna be weird seeing the Silver Samurai in a Disney setting. But this is an Elseworld so I can tolerate it.
Adara.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #14
GaoRize
Butthurt Hurricane

Leanbow wrote: View Post

Is it Pixar or just regular animation?

EDIT: Got my answer. I somehow missed the little people on the train the first time I watched the clip.
It isn't Pixar. CGI ≠ Pixar. It's a Disney movie.
GaoRize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #15
EricTheDragon
geekscape.net

I actually have this entire series and I enjoyed it, although it was clearly meant for a younger audience. I look forward to it! Can't say I'm surprised many haven't heard of it.
EricTheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #16
Quantum Wolf
Confusion & Delay!

Kamen R2J wrote: View Post

I actually have this entire series and I enjoyed it, although it was clearly meant for a younger audience. I look forward to it! Can't say I'm surprised many haven't heard of it.
About the only member I heard of is Silver Samurai, and that's only because of the X-Men.
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #17
tasti man LH
[[Unamused]]

...even then, Silver Samurai is going to be in the new Wolverine movie, so I doubt he'll be appearing here.
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #18
Quantum Wolf
Confusion & Delay!

It's almost dead certain that any X-Men related characters of BH6 will not be appearing because of ownership issues.
Old December 6th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #19
Quantum Wolf
Confusion & Delay!

So now that Frozen has been released and has made its impact, it's time to look forward to Big Hero 6.

Aaaaaaaaaaand I'm not sure now. I'm still looking forward to it for sure, but as far as the general public is concerned I wonder how well it'll go over with them. They got so much high expectations from Frozen that maybe they're expecting the next big classical tale adaptation with musical numbers and grand, sweeping visuals.

If the Revival Era is being compared to the Renaissance, Big Hero 6 may end up being the "Rescuers Down Under" of the block.
Old December 6th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #20
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Honestly if BH6 turns out to be akin to Tarzan or even Hercules (great action movies in the midst of a major period with a lot of musicals and whatnot), then its job will be done, Marvel connection or not. (speaking of: hope to see Frozen this weekend myself)

BTW: just realized Honey Lemon is obviously a dig at Psylocke; can't believe how hilariously genius that is.
Ataruman is online now   Reply With Quote