Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2018, 12:21 AM #21
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 82,440
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 82,440



So if the '70s angle is gone, is it still gonna be set on the east coast?
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 01:15 AM #22
Claymore's Avatar
> Claymore
Angemon!
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,964
Claymore
Angemon!
Claymore's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,964



hasso_opitz wrote: View Post

“Some sense”? it went from a weird 70s non-connected idea to a weird present day non-connected idea.
Hence the 'some sense' comment, lol. We still have no idea if these will be the actual Halliwell sisters or just some other group of witches. Until that is clear we won't know just how connected or not this new version of the Reboot might be.
Claymore is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 01:57 AM #23
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,639
Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,639



Xenotome wrote: View Post

Holly Marie Combs is piiissseeddd.
Her tweet made me roll my eyes so hard, who does she think is? "Unless you ask us to rewrite ...", go away Combs, you were an employee, CBS owns the show and if they want to do a new one they can and they definitely don't need your blessing or involvement.

The original Charmed wasn't even that good after Constance M. Burge was demoted and then left. It started as a feminist show about sisters who happen to be witches, under Brad Kern it became a show about sexy witches in revealing clothing who transform into beings in sexy costums every other week while looking for the perfect man.

The concept can be done so much better than it was done under Brad Kern so I'm looking forward to it.


Siriursus wrote: View Post

Being that one of the stated premises of the show is to bring down the patriarchy (in the show universe itself), I highly doubt that'll happen.
But bringing down the patriarchy and feminism itself doesn't mean "no men involved". Women should obviously stand up and fight for their rights but the end goal is equality, so man can and should be allies and part of the process.
I think one of the sisters could be a brother without undermining the message but for that to work he'd have to be the Phoebe with passive vision powers, let the women have the active fighting powers.
Having a male witch with passive powers and NOT WHINING ABOUT IT could even strengthen the message if done right, they'd have a man in an otherwise female team, working with them and not complaining that he's not the awesomest asskicker who ever asskicked.

But yeah, it's going to be three sisters although I would prefer three witches from unrelated witch families. Siblings are always bad for diversity and adoption doesn't work when their powers are hereditary.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 02:11 AM #24
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous's Avatar
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,932
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,932



Don't get me wrong, Holly made the original Charmed for me, but she really needs to get a grip.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 02:45 AM #25
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,639
Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,639



Fyntabulous wrote: View Post

Don't get me wrong, Holly made the original Charmed for me, but she really needs to get a grip.
Piper was my favourite too and I've liked Combs since Picket Fences but she should really shut up about this, it's not a good look, she appears to be very entitled.

I'm not even sure what her goal is, get the reboot cancelled and do a new Charmed with the original cast? Not gonna happen, if CBS wanted to do that they would have approached the original cast last year.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 03:10 AM #26
Claymore's Avatar
> Claymore
Angemon!
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,964
Claymore
Angemon!
Claymore's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,964



BlackMystechRanger wrote: View Post

I'm not even sure what her goal is, get the reboot cancelled and do a new Charmed with the original cast? Not gonna happen, if CBS wanted to do that they would have approached the original cast last year.
I believe that this is why Holly is coming across as so frustrated. Not only have the original cast and crew not been approached about being involved - in whatever form - in this new project (despite being quite vocal about wanting that involvement) but that it appears as if the entire legacy of Charmed will be swept under the carpet and started anew. There are so many ways that a Reboot/Continuation could be done with their children and so on, but this doesn't look like the direction they want to go for.

Personally, I'm actually onboard with a proper Reboot, but yeah, I can understand the sentiments behind her words.
Claymore is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 03:32 AM #27
Otokusastu Zetto's Avatar
> Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,807
Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !
Otokusastu Zetto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,807



BlackMystechRanger wrote: View Post

Her tweet made me roll my eyes so hard, who does she think is? "Unless you ask us to rewrite ...", go away Combs, you were an employee, CBS owns the show and if they want to do a new one they can and they definitely don't need your blessing or involvement.

The original Charmed wasn't even that good after Constance M. Burge was demoted and then left. It started as a feminist show about sisters who happen to be witches, under Brad Kern it became a show about sexy witches in revealing clothing who transform into beings in sexy costums every other week while looking for the perfect man.

The concept can be done so much better than it was done under Brad Kern so I'm looking forward to it.



But bringing down the patriarchy and feminism itself doesn't mean "no men involved". Women should obviously stand up and fight for their rights but the end goal is equality, so man can and should be allies and part of the process.
I think one of the sisters could be a brother without undermining the message but for that to work he'd have to be the Phoebe with passive vision powers, let the women have the active fighting powers.
Having a male witch with passive powers and NOT WHINING ABOUT IT could even strengthen the message if done right, they'd have a man in an otherwise female team, working with them and not complaining that he's not the awesomest asskicker who ever asskicked.

But yeah, it's going to be three sisters although I would prefer three witches from unrelated witch families. Siblings are always bad for diversity and adoption doesn't work when their powers are hereditary.
I can't blame her Hollywood milk the reboot thingy so hard, I'm waiting for their takes on Highlander to laugh at them !

Charmed is one of those show who don't need a reboot like MacGuyver for fuck sakes create something original you idiot prick !
Otokusastu Zetto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 03:37 AM #28
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,639
Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,639



Knuckles wrote: View Post

I believe that this is why Holly is coming across as so frustrated. Not only have the original cast and crew not been approached about being involved - in whatever form - in this new project (despite being quite vocal about wanting that involvement) but that it appears as if the entire legacy of Charmed will be swept under the carpet and started anew. There are so many ways that a Reboot/Continuation could be done with their children and so on, but this doesn't look like the direction they want to go for.

Personally, I'm actually onboard with a proper Reboot, but yeah, I can understand the sentiments behind her words.
I can't understand it, she has been in Hollywood way to long to not know how to get involved in a project. This Charmed may not be her dream Charmed but it is a Charmed and it would probably be easy for her to get a foot in the door if she played nice.
Look at the new Battlestar Galactica, when much of the fandom hated on it before it even started production Richard Hatch publically supported it, he even scolded fans when they were disrespectful to the new producers. Dirk Benedict in the other hand was a giant douche. Guess which one of them got a substantial part, a great character arc and delivered a very memorable performance?

And I don't agree that a new Charmed would sweep the legacy of the old one under the carpet. First of all which legacy? The show didn't exactly have a huge and lasting impact, it was already on its way to being forgotten, if anything this show helps bulding a legacy because if it goes to series Charmed goes from series to franchise.

I also don't see how a continuation with the Halliwells would work, at the end of the series all three of them were in stable relationships and had three children each. That's 15 characters, who would be the focus? And if they solve that problem, what about the power levels? The Halliwells were extremely powerful and experienced witches at the end who could easily take on anything at the end.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 04:05 AM #29
Claymore's Avatar
> Claymore
Angemon!
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,964
Claymore
Angemon!
Claymore's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,964



BlackMystechRanger wrote: View Post

And I don't agree that a new Charmed would sweep the legacy of the old one under the carpet. First of all which legacy? The show didn't exactly have a huge and lasting impact, it was already on its way to being forgotten, if anything this show helps bulding a legacy because if it goes to series Charmed goes from series to franchise.
Legacy as in all the story and continuity that was built within the original. From her point of view, this new Reboot is just dumping all of that to start anew with possibly younger and hotter actresses when this doesn't specifically need to be the case.

I also don't see how a continuation with the Halliwells would work, at the end of the series all three of them were in stable relationships and had three children each. That's 15 characters, who would be the focus? And if they solve that problem, what about the power levels? The Halliwells were extremely powerful and experienced witches at the end who could easily take on anything at the end.
A continuation could be done without the focus being on Piper, Phoebe and Paige. Like you mentioned, there are so many kids that you can choose from. Just pick one daughter from each Charmed One, throw them in an apartment together - and bam. New show but same continuity. Charmed Ones can cameo and support.

Or heck, have it be Chris and Wyatt focus.

If you wanted it to be a continuation of the three, just throw in a new powerful demon ... it really doesn't matter. The story is about their family unit and teaching them what they have learnt.
Claymore is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 04:35 AM #30
Otokusastu Zetto's Avatar
> Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,807
Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !
Otokusastu Zetto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,807



Can't wait to see Rose MacGowan reaction ^^
Otokusastu Zetto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 05:10 AM #31
hasso_opitz's Avatar
> hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 21,899
hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45
hasso_opitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 21,899



Holly became an executive producer and constantly travels the world supporting the show and her fans. She’s great at conventions I’ve seen her at.

The fans would like a continuation and they at one point were discussing this unofficially it seems. I get why the main star would go on the defense because she knows the fans wouldn’t prefer a reboot.

Personally? I spent my first ever paycheck in my life buying the limited edition full Book of Shadows series set. The 70s prequel sounded more fun than this. I’m all for reboots but in this case everyone wants to come back and do more. In the age of series sequels it makes more sense to continue it. If it ends up being a spin off set in the world of Charmed I’m good with that, too.
hasso_opitz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 05:16 AM #32
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,639
Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,639



hasso_opitz wrote: View Post

Holly became an executive producer ...
Wrong, she became producer and that's usually just a vanity title and a bit of extra money for actors, she may have had a bit of input but only as much as the actual showrunners allowed her.

And no, "the fans" wouldn't like a continuation. Some fans would but others don't care. Fandoms always have as many opinions as members.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 05:31 AM #33
AbareHunter's Avatar
> AbareHunter
NACHO!
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,962
AbareHunter
NACHO!
AbareHunter's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,962



Honestly, as far as continuations with the original cast are concerned, I think Zenescope Entertainment's Charmed comics did about as good a job as could be hoped for.

Very cautiously optimistic for the reboot.
AbareHunter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 06:05 AM #34
Irish Ranger's Avatar
> Irish Ranger
I am the night!
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,532
Irish Ranger
I am the night!
Irish Ranger's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,532



I'm sure there are plenty of storyline ideas they could come up with for a Charmed revival, but selling the idea to the general viewing audience would be difficult. A lot of people aren't going to want to jump into a show that already has so much existing history.

That's not to say it couldn't be a success. After all, there are numerous revivals both in film and TV that have done quite well. But I can't blame the network for wanting a fresh start in order to appeal to a wider audience.
Irish Ranger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 06:30 AM #35
> OmniMystechRanger
SPECIAL MODERATOR, LORD, MASTER & BOSS OF STUPID UGLY FACE: GREENBEASTFIST & HASSO PRIMO
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,114
OmniMystechRanger
SPECIAL MODERATOR, LORD, MASTER & BOSS OF STUPID UGLY FACE: GREENBEASTFIST & HASSO PRIMO
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,114



Has feeling the reboot is doomed to cancelling!
OmniMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 06:34 AM #36
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous's Avatar
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,932
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,932



If it takes place in the current times, I wouldn't mind if the show was a direct sequel, that focused on their children, following the comics.

Only Paige and Piper have sons, so it'd still be a female led show with Melinda, Prue, Parker, Peyton, Tamora and Kat. With Wyatt/Chris/Henry Jr as the guys.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 10:00 AM #37
Primal Slayer's Avatar
> Primal Slayer
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,050
Primal Slayer
Power Ranger
Primal Slayer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,050



Otokusastu Zetto wrote: View Post

Can't wait to see Rose MacGowan reaction ^^
Rose barely wanted to be there, the likelihood of her caring is slim to none.
Primal Slayer is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 10:20 AM #38
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,808
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,808



Primal Slayer wrote: View Post

Rose barely wanted to be there, the likelihood of her caring is slim to none.
And she's also focusing on her activism against sexual harrassment.
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 12:27 PM #39
hasso_opitz's Avatar
> hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 21,899
hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45
hasso_opitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 21,899



BlackMystechRanger wrote: View Post

Wrong, she became producer and that's usually just a vanity title and a bit of extra money for actors, she may have had a bit of input but only as much as the actual showrunners allowed her.

And no, "the fans" wouldn't like a continuation. Some fans would but others don't care. Fandoms always have as many opinions as members.
“Wrong”. “And no”. Why are you so aggressive? Chill out.

Rose was offered “producer” after a few years but stated it would be extra work with virtually no pay increase so she refused. Otherwise why not just take it if it’s just a vanity?

And yes, Charmed trends on social media with positive buzz when all 4 women stated they would like to return on Twitter. When the reboot was first announced it was mostly a negative reaction. If you ask any Charmed fan if they had to pick between a continuation with all four leads or a reboot, the majority would pick continuation.

Yah I don’t have Phoebe’s power to predict that but if there was a line on it in Vegas I wouldn’t be afraid of losing that bet.
hasso_opitz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 02:53 PM #40
Multiple Man's Avatar
> ⚡Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 18,650
Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly
Multiple Man's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 18,650



As much fun as the first half of the series could be, the last thing I'd want is to jump into the mess created by the second half. They just skipped from one irksome moment to another, "building up" a horrible web of mythology and useless continuity that I'd never care to see acknowledged again. By the end, I was more annoyed with the characters and their world than endeared.

Reimagine that shit.
Multiple Man is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:38 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.