Home Menu

Menu

View Poll Results: How was the 2014 movie?
1. The Worst. Destroy All Monsters, writers, producers, and everyone else involved in this mess 3 1.49%
1. The Worst. Destroy All Monsters, writers, producers, and everyone else involved in this mess
3 1.49%
2. Just bad. Varan finds it Unbelievable how disappointing this is. 18 8.96%
2. Just bad. Varan finds it Unbelievable how disappointing this is.
18 8.96%
3. Okay. Godzilla Raids Again with a decent first step into relevancy 63 31.34%
3. Okay. Godzilla Raids Again with a decent first step into relevancy
63 31.34%
4. Very good. All-Out Attack of fun 77 38.31%
4. Very good. All-Out Attack of fun
77 38.31%
5. Brilliant, absolutely the King Of the Monster Movies. 40 19.90%
5. Brilliant, absolutely the King Of the Monster Movies.
40 19.90%
Votes: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 16th, 2019, 03:01 PM #3081
> DekaRed Prime
Plus Ultra!

DekaRed Prime
Plus Ultra!

So, I've been watching the Millennium films, and have just finished Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla, all the time recognising the main girl, Akane, but not being able to place her.

It took google to surprise me, she was Another Kiva.
DekaRed Prime is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2019, 04:05 PM #3082
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Sentai & Rider are the Law & Order of Japan. Everyone's been on it at least once, usually multiple times.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 02:10 AM #3083
> DekaRed Prime
Plus Ultra!

DekaRed Prime
Plus Ultra!

Very true. I also found it amusing that the main guy antagonising her was Gills.
DekaRed Prime is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 05:10 AM #3084
> QueenBee9
Power Ranger

QueenBee9
Power Ranger

So I went to see Godzilla on Saturday with a friend ...

I enjoyed it. I can see where people had mentioned that they felt the plot of the humans was not so great, and I can see that. But as I say, you don't go to a Godzilla movie for works of Shakespeare. You go to see two monsters beat the crap out of each other and decimate cities. And the movie did that really well.
QueenBee9 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 11:35 AM #3085
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

Xenotome wrote: View Post

Sentai & Rider are the Law & Order of Japan. Everyone's been on it at least once, usually multiple times.
For Real !! Everyone saw at least once in both ways !!!
Akumaru is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 12:16 PM #3086
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

DekaRed Prime wrote: View Post

Very true. I also found it amusing that the main guy antagonising her was Gills.
Oh it's not just them.

GaoRed is the main protagonist in Tokyo SOS, and NinjaBlack is part of the side cast in Final Wars.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 08:44 AM #3087
> Dead2009
Horror Movie Guru

Dead2009
Horror Movie Guru

Watched KOTM last night and almost had the feeling we were gonna have another Avengers moment on our hands where Mothra played the part of Captain Marvel and only showed up for a few seconds, but I wasn't disappointed. The fight scenes and destruction were amazing.
Dead2009 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 12:17 PM #3088
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

I finally saw Godzilla: King of the Monsters yesterday and it was all right. There have been much better creature features released over the years than this one. Kyle Chandler's performance was the main highlight for me., but that was pretty much it.

Last edited by ranger_scout; June 22nd, 2019 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Typo and adding bold and italic
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 02:48 PM #3089
> PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

ranger_scout wrote: View Post

I finally saw Godzilla: King of the Monsters yesterday and it was all right. There have been much better creature features released over the years than this one. Kyle Chandler's performance was the main highlight for me., but that was preyty much it.
its barely about to surpass $100 million domestically, that's more than what the first Pacific Rim movie made domestically, but ya it has definetley, sadly underperformed at the box-office, i really thought it would come close or make a little more than the 2014 Godzilla movie, especially with King Ghidorah, Rodan, Mothra in it.
PopCultureLover06 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 09:47 PM #3090
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

If there was in fact anything else about the film that I did enjoy:

Dr. Ishirō Serizawa saying that sometimes the best way to beat our enemies, it's that we need to be at peace for what the way they might have done to harm us. As hard is it may be, forgiving them is the right thing to do.
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 03:53 AM #3091
> Xeros
Power Ranger

Xeros
Power Ranger

PopCultureLover06 wrote: View Post

its barely about to surpass $100 million domestically, that's more than what the first Pacific Rim movie made domestically, but ya it has definetley, sadly underperformed at the box-office, i really thought it would come close or make a little more than the 2014 Godzilla movie, especially with King Ghidorah, Rodan, Mothra in it.
Probably because most people spent their money on Avengers Endgame already.
Xeros is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 09:57 AM #3092
> yami senshi youkaiou
MCU Darkhawk

yami senshi youkaiou
MCU Darkhawk

I'm tempted to joke that when this runs it's course they should try rereleasing it with mid, and post credits scenes that show the various Toho evil alien races planning to send Gigan to Earth.
yami senshi youkaiou is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 03:15 PM #3093
> PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

Xeros wrote: View Post

Probably because most people spent their money on Avengers Endgame already.
Yup, more box-office competition this time around, same with competition from Aladdin, John Wick part 3, reviews from rotten tomatoes definitely didn't help at all, although the audience score is much higher.

Also it was announced that it got a month-long extension in China, hopefully it continues to rake in more money at the box office in China:
http://chinafilminsider.com/headline...cal-extension/
Old June 29th, 2019, 06:27 PM #3094
> yami senshi youkaiou
MCU Darkhawk

yami senshi youkaiou
MCU Darkhawk

I finally got around to watching it.

Short story: I liked it, it was cool to see all the monster. I even actually liked the human plot with the device that can talk to monsters.

Long story: I thought Scylla, and Methuselah were cool but part of me wondered why they weren't just Kumonga, and Anguirus .

I did like Behemoth because I don't think there are many mammal monsters besides King Kong, and King Caesar.

I thought the part where Ghidorah regrew his head was kind of freaky because it made him look Cthulhu esque while it was regrowing.

I got a chuckle out of hearing the cussing because I still remember when I thought Godzilla 2000 had the most cussing in a Godzilla movie.

I liked the scene with the ancient civilization that worshipped Godzilla because I always want to see something like that in a Godzilla movies

I'm hoping either Godzilla vs Kong or if they're still making them afterwards some other Legendary movie will bring in other alien monsters like Gigan.

or maybe we'll get Destroyer but instead of being a bunch of prehistoric plankton all merged together it could be some Nucler Man/Frankenstein esque Godzilla/Ghidorah hybrid created from stray cells mutating together from when Godzilla, and Ghidorah were hit by the Oxygetn Destroyer.

Last edited by yami senshi youkaiou; June 29th, 2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old June 29th, 2019, 06:51 PM #3095
> PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

yami senshi youkaiou wrote: View Post

I finally got around to watching it.

Short story: I liked it, it was cool to see all the monster. I even actually liked the human plot with the device that can talk to monsters.

Long story:
I thought Scylla, and Methuselah were cool but part of me wondered why they weren't just Kumonga, and Anguirus .

I did like Behemoth because I don't think there are many mammal monsters besides King Kong, and King Caesar.

I thought the part where Ghidorah regrew his head was kind of freaky because it made him look Cthulhu esque while it was regrowing.

I got a chuckle out of hearing the cussing because I still remember when I thought Godzilla 2000 had the most cussing in a Godzilla movie.

I liked the scene with the ancient civilization that worshipped Godzilla because I always want to see something like that in a Godzilla movies

I'm hoping either Godzilla vs Kong or if they're still making them afterwards some other Legendary movie will bring in other alien monsters like Gigan.

or maybe we'll get Destroyer but instead of being a bunch of prehistoric plankton all merged together it could be some Nucler Man/Frankenstein esque Godzilla/Ghidorah hybrid created from stray cells mutating together from when Godzilla, and Ghidorah were hit by the Oxygetn Destroyer.
when you saw it, was the theater crowded, packed, or almost empty? just asking because I hope it at least reaches $400 million world-wide.
Old June 29th, 2019, 07:01 PM #3096
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Alright, I'll just say that: spoiler ban is lifted for the movie.

It's been out for a month now. If you still haven't seen it yet and still wander into the thread expecting to stay spoiler-free, that's on you.

yami senshi youkaiou wrote: View Post

I thought Scylla, and Methuselah were cool but part of me wondered why they weren't just Kumonga, and Anguirus .
This was asked about an interview and the story goes is that:

Toho has individual licenses for each of their monsters. Meaning any licensee like Legendary would have to negotiate and pay for each kaiju on a one-for-one basis. No bundle deals. In this case, Legendary didn't have it in the budget to get anyone else aside from their 4 leading kaijus.

Slight tangent: I've wondered if this was a factor in Ready Player One regarding Mechagodzilla. If you actually examine MechaG's appearance in that movie you'll realize he has...no resemblance at all to any of the actual canonical MechaGs. He doesn't look like the riveted Showa version, not the sleeker Heisei version, not even the hybrid Millennium version. The latter is kind of important since in the original novel, it was called out as specifically being Kiryu, the Millennium MechaG. And the RP1-movie version is clearly not it.

Made me wonder if WB was only able to secure the license to use MechaG's name and general resemblance, but not the actual likeness of Kiryu...
Old June 29th, 2019, 07:07 PM #3097
> yami senshi youkaiou
MCU Darkhawk

yami senshi youkaiou
MCU Darkhawk

PopCultureLover06 wrote: View Post

when you saw it, was the theater crowded, packed, or almost empty? just asking because I hope it at least reaches $400 million world-wide.
I guess I'd say packed because there were a lot of people but not every seat was filled.

TeraMan wrote: View Post

Alright, I'll just say that: spoiler ban is lifted for the movie.

It's been out for a month now. If you still haven't seen it yet and still wander into the thread expecting to stay spoiler-free, that's on you.
Huh okay then

Toho has individual licenses for each of their monsters. Meaning any licensee like Legendary would have to negotiate and pay for each kaiju on a one-for-one basis. No bundle deals. In this case, Legendary didn't have it in the budget to get anyone else aside from their 4 leading kaijus.

Huh that makes sense.

I wonder if we'll still get Mecha King Ghidorah or Mecha Godzilla though.

Or maybe not Gigan, and Destroyer but non-copyright infringing versions of them.

One idea I keep wanting to see is something like a cross between Dagora, Yog the Space Monster, The Blob, Hedorah, and John Carpetener's The Thing that's like some space micro organism that melts other beings into genetic goo in order to incorporate them into itself, and when it has enough genetic material it can transform into various monsters based on the creatures it absorbs.

And we can see infected humans that look like a cross between The H-Man, and The Incredible Melting Man.

Last edited by yami senshi youkaiou; June 29th, 2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old June 30th, 2019, 09:08 AM #3098
> Mr. Yellow
Twitter - @MisturYellow

Mr. Yellow
Twitter - @MisturYellow

TeraMan wrote: View Post

Slight tangent: I've wondered if this was a factor in Ready Player One regarding Mechagodzilla. If you actually examine MechaG's appearance in that movie you'll realize he has...no resemblance at all to any of the actual canonical MechaGs. He doesn't look like the riveted Showa version, not the sleeker Heisei version, not even the hybrid Millennium version. The latter is kind of important since in the original novel, it was called out as specifically being Kiryu, the Millennium MechaG. And the RP1-movie version is clearly not it.

Made me wonder if WB was only able to secure the license to use MechaG's name and general resemblance, but not the actual likeness of Kiryu...
Yes, this is absolutely true and Toho is about as strict as you can be. Not only does each kaiju have their own rights, but each iteration does. When IDW was licensing kaiju for the comics, they tried and failed to get the rights to Showa MechaGodzilla. Not only that but Toho has to approve the likeness of said usage and any new characters created...which then become the property of Toho.
Mr. Yellow is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2019, 09:30 AM #3099
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Mr. Yellow wrote: View Post

Yes, this is absolutely true and Toho is about as strict as you can be. Not only does each kaiju have their own rights, but each iteration does. When IDW was licensing kaiju for the comics, they tried and failed to get the rights to Showa MechaGodzilla. Not only that but Toho has to approve the likeness of said usage and any new characters created...which then become the property of Toho.
Fucking Hell. See this? This is the dystopian endgame for intellectual property. Not just the ownership of ideas, but every possible permutation of those ideas and any idea that might in some way derive from them. It's disgusting.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2019, 11:19 AM #3100
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

GetTheeToABrewery wrote: View Post

Fucking Hell. See this? This is the dystopian endgame for intellectual property. Not just the ownership of ideas, but every possible permutation of those ideas and any idea that might in some way derive from them. It's disgusting.
Well just as a general reminder, Japanese business culture is completely different from their Western equivalents. And it seems like they feel no compulsion to change things when doing business internationally. Which mean doing thing that seem a lot more stricter and draconian.

Presumably, Legendary wasn't in much of a position to protest against this.

Anyways, I do wonder if this is the other contributing factor as to why Legendary hasn't announced any additional movies past Godzilla vs Kong. That it's not just Toho declaring that they're taking the cinematic universe deal back to make their own, but of the costs adding up for licensing each monster. That they wanted to see if the box office returns were enough to cover the licensing costs.

Hell, thinking on that, a theoretical "Legendary's Destroy All Monsters" would HAVE to make Avengers money...