Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2019, 03:44 AM #421
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,457
Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,457



The Hunt for Ash Ketchum

- Previously on Pokémon Sun & Moon;

- They are rewinding the scenes. I don't recall the show ever doing that;

- And here we go for the footage of Ash and Torracat being sent to the past;

- They are using that thing from the ANA Pikachu shorts where the narrator voices over the pokémon as they are dubbing their lines. NOOOOOO!;

- I much prefer when they do like the Island of Giant Pokémon and just subtitle their lines. Makes sense using voice because of the toddles who haven't learned to read but... If that's the case do like the Darkrai dream episode on XYZ and get the pokémon VAs to dub their lines in japanese. They do pay the VAs to record the dialogue for every single episode if I recall correctly;

- That time Pikachu and Lycanroc find out they've been cuddling a Sudowoodo;

- Bet Sudowoodo will sue them for harassment ;

- Seems like they changed the PikaSpeak... Ash used to call Ash "Pikapi" now it's just a generic "Pika";

- Lycanroc tries Ash's capa but I guess that "horn-ish" thing doesn't let him do it right;

- He was a lot cuter when he was a Rockruff and used a cap in the baseball episode;

- Meltan wants to try wearing Ash's hat as well lol;

- Clefable's Meltans have multiplied!;

- I wonder how much of Lusamine's budget go away with buying all those screws and nuts for the Meltans;

- Now Rowlett is wearing Ash's cap. Guess the staff wanted all of Ash's pokémon to wear the thing;

- Wish Poipole was still with Ash just to see the joke with it as well;

- The cold doesn't bother Garchomp anyway... Despite being 4x times weak to Ice!;

- ... Well since like it did bother after all;

- Pikachu and co had found Rosebud and now are making use of it;

- I wouldn't be surprised if everyone on #TeamAsh learned Ice Ball after that! lol;

- How convenient for Ash's hat fall and go backwards on Pikachu's head;

- Looks like #TeamAsh is blasting off;

- Seems like Pikachu can spin his tail like Tails. We finally found out how Fly!Pikachu can use Fly!;

- Pikachu uses "Boku". Always thought he'd use "Ore" like Ash. Yeah, I do pay attention to japanese pronouns lol;

- Speaking of pronouns, Lycanroc uses a different one. I wonder if Ash's Torracat would use "wagahaya";

- Why are they fighting for the berry when they could just work together to get it?;

- And now they are conveniently back to square one!;

- So is Ash and Torracat, who just returned from their time trip!;

- More footage being recycled. Guess that helps to save budget and time so the new scenes can get better animation;

- Look how "darker" Ash's cap is. I'm surprised it survived all the events in the episode but it's still a nice detail showing affected by the last hijink of #TeamAsh;

- I do wonder why Ash didn't noticed something off on his cap though;

- Love that final shot with Ash's pokémon cuddling him and then everyone goes walks back to Kukui's lab;

- No TR means bonus points!

Overall, great episode! After last week's spectacular episode, we got another pretty good one. It was almost on par with last week's if the narrator's voice "dubbing" the pokémon wasn't so annoying. Hope the foreign dubs will get unique VAs for the pokémon but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Anyway, the episode was one of the kind I've always wanted to see in the show: an episode that's mostly about Ash's current team interacting among themselves. And this episode definetely did the trick.

Much like last week, the comedy was used to good effect and it wasn't the slapstick stupidity from the early days. I repeat the question from last week: where was this quality in the previous 124?

All in all, an amazing episode!

Next time: More Magearna, Gladio's return and Lillie possibly mastering her Z-move!


smrtguy85 wrote: View Post

For that the protagonist would need a personality in the first place. For 7 generations our guy has been a blank post, not reacting to any thing happening around them culminating in Sun and Moon where the most amazing, dramatic, and traumatic family reunion is happening in front of them and they just stand there with a smile on their face.
I've always felt it was awkward for the games doing that when ORAS just had some scenes where Brendan showed a serious expression in some cutscenes.
Spider-Phoenix is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2019, 04:00 AM #422
Ataruman's Avatar
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,657
Ataruman
Adorable and Epic
Ataruman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,657



Looking at the screenshots, honestly I don't see why they have to even "dub in the lines". Why not just go the "Island of the Giant Pokemon" route: have the Pokemon speak in Pokemon and sub it? I guess that's not what it did but at least it wouldn't mean one voice translating everything said by Pikachu et al.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old June 16th, 2019, 04:55 AM #423
Random's Avatar
> Random
The Lizard Queen
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,261
Random
The Lizard Queen
Random's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,261



Adara.2 wrote: View Post

I mean, Lost Galaxy Yellow was in Not Another Teen Movie. And she was the naked foreign chick.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9DnUodXYAAQ7Sc.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9DnVQ-XUAgPAin.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9DnV0zWwAQMJbB.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9DnWdfWwAAxFV3.jpg
And I really hope this new game lets the player choose how to characterize Protagonists' personalities. Might make up for not being able to get the Nationaldex.

That, or give some major buffs for the weaker characters.
No Scottish person has, or would ever, use the word "focken".

Allio wrote: View Post

Because those same people won’t admit that they are as much degenerates as Those they moan about.

It’s like us, the forum will say it’s creepy when we say a pr actress is hot, but swoon when an actor rips off his shirt.
That's a mass generalisation. For one thing, context is important. But also, it's most of the female tumblr fanbase swooning over Nessa. That doesn't make all the comments about her appropriate or mean the criticism is just "she should be covered!" .
Random is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2019, 08:57 AM #424
Digifiend's Avatar
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 16,980
Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop
Digifiend's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 16,980



Spider-Phoenix wrote: View Post


- Seems like they changed the PikaSpeak... Ash used to call Ash "Pikapi" now it's just a generic "Pika";
Do the human characters ever call Ash something other than Satoshi? If he has a nickname, that would explain Pikachu not saying Pikapi.

Also, Ash used to call Ash...?
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2019, 09:41 AM #425
Cuchulainn's Avatar
> Cuchulainn
century color
 
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1,377
Cuchulainn
century color
Cuchulainn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1,377



Random wrote: View Post

That doesn't make all the comments about her appropriate or mean the criticism is just "she should be covered!" .
Yep. The majority of what I'm seeing isn't "Cover her up", it's "Can we stop being creepy about a character in a kids video game?"

There was a point where you could look up Wicke on Google Images and porn/ecchi stuff was on, like, the first page. I think people would rather that kids not be exposed to stuff like that when they're just looking up stuff about the characters.
Cuchulainn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2019, 11:14 AM #426
Ataruman's Avatar
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,657
Ataruman
Adorable and Epic
Ataruman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,657



Digifiend wrote: View Post

Do the human characters ever call Ash something other than Satoshi? If he has a nickname, that would explain Pikachu not saying Pikapi.
The only other one I can think of is obviously TR calling him "Jari-boy", which of course is translated as "Twerp" here.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old June 16th, 2019, 01:13 PM #427
Adara.2's Avatar
> Adara.2
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,919
Adara.2
Power Ranger
Adara.2's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,919



Random wrote: View Post

No Scottish person has, or would ever, use the word "focken".
Maybe. I still want to customize how the MC looks likes during the Dynamax animation.



Let me look like the guy in the lower-right corner.
Adara.2 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 01:27 AM #428
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,895
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,895



I think it's safe to say the Sword and Shield drama isn't dying anytime soon.



Random wrote: View Post

No Scottish person has, or would ever, use the word "focken".
They're trying to portray a Scottish person's accent. And yes, that's how a Scottish person with aheavy accent sounds when they say fuckin.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 05:12 AM #429
Random's Avatar
> Random
The Lizard Queen
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,261
Random
The Lizard Queen
Random's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,261



AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

I think it's safe to say the Sword and Shield drama isn't dying anytime soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAydd_b8Xlo



They're trying to portray a Scottish person's accent. And yes, that's how a Scottish person with aheavy accent sounds when they say fuckin.
It definitely is not.
Source: I'm Scottish

I love the idea of the female trainer being Scottish, but all of these exaggerated attempts at the accent are horribly off, like the only time they've heard the accent is from Groundskeeper Willie.
Random is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 06:40 AM #430
Adara.2's Avatar
> Adara.2
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,919
Adara.2
Power Ranger
Adara.2's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,919




I think I'm accepting Dynamax, now.

Wooloo still needs an OU-tier evolution, rhough.
Adara.2 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 10:56 AM #431
FerrousMaelstrom's Avatar
> FerrousMaelstrom
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 281
FerrousMaelstrom
Power Ranger
FerrousMaelstrom's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 281



Believe me, it's entirely possible that some people doing the Scottish trainer meme literally have only heard it from Groundskeeper Willie.
FerrousMaelstrom is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 05:27 PM #432
Alitain's Avatar
> Alitain
God of Benevolence
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,999
Alitain
God of Benevolence
Alitain's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,999



Random thought today for you folks. So...Wooloo wool is very popular in Galar, used for everything, etc etc. So...do you think you could dynamax a wooloo, then have a bunch of people jump in really quickly and try and shear as much as possible, and net yourself a lot more wool? Or would the wool just shrink back too with the pokemon? I mean I would hazard it'd shrink back, but still. And sure, dynamaxing on runs three turns so it's a really short window but with enough people you could race in and shear at least some. Then give it a few minutes rest time, rinse and repeat till you finished the job. Again, silly random thought, but amusing to consider.

Also, even though I didn't care about it X/Y, it could be funny if you'd be able to take your wooloo and have it groomed with different patterns and hair cuts.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 06:00 PM #433
Allio's Avatar
> Allio
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,520
Allio
Power Ranger
Allio's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,520



Random wrote: View Post

It definitely is not.
Source: I'm Scottish
I mean in all fairness often times that a person has the accent don't realize the nuances that they have since it's all first nature and the status quo. I mean there are a few things in my accent that people say I have but I haven't noticed, like the way I say "shit"
Allio is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 12:39 AM #434
Tigran's Avatar
> Tigran
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,871
Tigran
Power Ranger
Tigran's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,871



Alitain wrote: View Post

Random thought today for you folks. So...Wooloo wool is very popular in Galar, used for everything, etc etc. So...do you think you could dynamax a wooloo, then have a bunch of people jump in really quickly and try and shear as much as possible, and net yourself a lot more wool? Or would the wool just shrink back too with the pokemon? I mean I would hazard it'd shrink back, but still. And sure, dynamaxing on runs three turns so it's a really short window but with enough people you could race in and shear at least some. Then give it a few minutes rest time, rinse and repeat till you finished the job. Again, silly random thought, but amusing to consider.

Also, even though I didn't care about it X/Y, it could be funny if you'd be able to take your wooloo and have it groomed with different patterns and hair cuts.
I would assume that it shrink back.. but that would be a hilarious episode, of the anime.
Tigran is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 03:19 AM #435
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,457
Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,457



Soul-Heartless

- Gladion is doing Hapu's Grand Trial. Why does that make me remember Alain randomly starting to collect badges?;

- Dunno about you but I'm finding this whole Lillie & Magearna plot to be very boring;

- Snowy feels less like a pokémon and more like a blend of baby, pet and doll;

- Seems like Ash forgot the one Magearna he's seen. Or maybe he didn't want to bring it up?;

- Anyway, I'm glad the movies will probably go AU route from now on. Makes things slightly easier for everyone;

- Now, we finally get to see the League Stadium Kukui has done. Wonder where he got the money to build all that;

- Kukui's interest in the league SHOULD have been better set up here. He bringing this "dream" up feels so random like "yeah, we forgot it was his thing in the game and we have to do it before we wrap up;

- It appears Gladion wants a Zoroark. Guess he wants all the edgy/wolf-like pokémon. Wonder if he'll randomly show a Lucario as well;

- If Kiawe keeps doing that, shippers are gonna go crazier than ever;

- And of course Kukui had to find a way to sneak in an appearance as Royal Mask;

- They are really trying to hype that league... But I feel nothing other than the desire to see this series over and done with as soon as possible;

- Lillie is burning her cosmos. Is she trying to perform Subzero Slammer or Diamond Dust?;

- And Lillie masters her Z-move;

- Ok, I must admit that Lillie's speech made the thing look epic-ish;

- So that Zoroark is Mohn's? I wonder why only now Gladion is after it;

- The Hunt for Mohn arc looks slightly more interesting than the league itself. But that's not saying much.

Overall, a step down compared to the previous two episodes. I feel like Sophocles' struggle with mastering his Z-move was better handled despite being only one episode long.

I really wish I could bother or care for this league, but I really don't want anything other than it being done as soon as possible alongside the series so we can get Sword and Shield.

Next time: Before the league starts, another comedic episode. Plus Hau returns and Decidueye gets a proper debut.


Digifiend wrote: View Post

Do the human characters ever call Ash something other than Satoshi? If he has a nickname, that would explain Pikachu not saying Pikapi.

Also, Ash used to call Ash...?
It's a typo.


Ataruman wrote: View Post

The only other one I can think of is obviously TR calling him "Jari-boy", which of course is translated as "Twerp" here.
It's the only major one although I think I recall tha Gary had a nickname for Ash as well and he use it during his cameo in DP.
Spider-Phoenix is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 04:05 AM #436
WhiteMystechRanger's Avatar
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,474
WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal
WhiteMystechRanger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,474



I know its been discussed to death but not having every Pokemon is sheer stupidity.

1. Sword and Shield will cost more than any Pokemon game before it. Ł50 for a game rather than Ł35-40.
2. Pokemon is now one of, if not the biggest multimedia franchise in the world.

If Game Freak cannot get off their lazy asses and animate 900 creatures then why even make new Pokemon? Don't put more food on your plate if you cannot finish what is already there.

They've been using the exact same 3D sprites since XY so its not like they have to make them from scratch.

Why are they so lazy?

They can easily hire a team just to add new animations and prepare every Pokemon for the new games. They instead made a mode where Pokemon sprites grow in size... because thats easier then Mega Evolutions.

Animating the human cast would also help too. The main characters frozen smile was really jarring in SM. If you want to tell a story then allow your characters to emote!

We're not asking the world of Game Freak, just expecting normal QoL changes for a console release.

Seriously, several billion dollar franchise, they can afford to spend Ł100M developing their first major console game.

They make that in a month just on Pokemon Go.
WhiteMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 06:47 AM #437
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,457
Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,457



They split their teams between the current game and the next one. But yeah, the franchise is profitable enough for them to convince the higher ups to give more money for teams.

Their trial of fire will be the launch of the new games. The best way to show we are not liking the stupidity of not having a complete dex in the game is hit them where it's most dear: their wallets.

============================

On a more positive note, forgot to add this awesome english version of Power of Us' japanese ending:



To be honest, I thought the singers' voices were much better than the original.

Wish Mark de Groot did more Pokémon covers. All the ones he's done so were pretty good. Just check his version of XYZ.
Spider-Phoenix is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 07:17 AM #438
MutekiDragon's Avatar
> MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 585
MutekiDragon
Kinsect Master
MutekiDragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 585



The thing is you can have the Pokemon in Sun and Moon and not all of them have Dex entries. I caught a Ralts in Ultra Sun from Island Scan and a Gothita in Sun. Neither appear in the PokeDex at all.

Last edited by MutekiDragon; June 23rd, 2019 at 11:09 AM.
MutekiDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 08:59 AM #439
WhiteMystechRanger's Avatar
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,474
WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal
WhiteMystechRanger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,474



Sword and Shield, like Pikachu/Eevee look 'fine' but we know Pokemon can be so much better if they try.

For me, Pokken was the most exciting Pokemon game in recent memory. The graphics and gameplay were spectacular.

I want Pokemon to wow kids and die hard fans alike. Cool graphics along with the same great gameplay.

Imagine having the difficulty setting of B2W2 again. I'd love for a game to have no tutorials and to be a challenge from the first gym. It would be interesting to see all this high level Tourney play used in the games more.

Right now Sword and Shield are just 'safe' entries. I miss the deepee edge that Gen 5 had. Gen 6 had great ideas like Fairy type and Megas but SwSh don't have that.

USUM were just bland and I fear SwSh will be the same. I could barely finish USUM given how horrendously paced the game s are.

Last edited by WhiteMystechRanger; June 23rd, 2019 at 10:22 AM.
WhiteMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 10:08 AM #440
Digifiend's Avatar
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 16,980
Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop
Digifiend's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 16,980



WhiteMystechRanger wrote: View Post

I know its been discussed to death but not having every Pokemon is sheer stupidity.

1. Sword and Shield will cost more than any Pokemon game before it. Ł50 for a game rather than Ł35-40.
2. Pokemon is now one of, if not the biggest multimedia franchise in the world.

If Game Freak cannot get off their lazy asses and animate 900 creatures then why even make new Pokemon? Don't put more food on your plate if you cannot finish what is already there.

They've been using the exact same 3D sprites since XY so its not like they have to make them from scratch.

Why are they so lazy?

They can easily hire a team just to add new animations and prepare every Pokemon for the new games. They instead made a mode where Pokemon sprites grow in size... because thats easier then Mega Evolutions.

Animating the human cast would also help too. The main characters frozen smile was really jarring in SM. If you want to tell a story then allow your characters to emote!

We're not asking the world of Game Freak, just expecting normal QoL changes for a console release.

Seriously, several billion dollar franchise, they can afford to spend Ł100M developing their first major console game.

They make that in a month just on Pokemon Go.
Do you think they should've done Diamond and Pearl remakes before creating a new region? That way they'd only need around half the total Pokemon. And 386 of those already exist thanks to Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, so only about a hundred new models would be required (less probably, because I haven't even counted any gen 4 mons that may have appeared in XY or Sun/Moon).
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:22 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.