Home Menu

Menu

View Poll Results: If I were to bring back a weekend watch (as a marathon method), what would you want?
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers" 9 19.15%
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers"
9 19.15%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3" 5 10.64%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3"
5 10.64%
Kamen Rider Fourze 13 27.66%
Kamen Rider Fourze
13 27.66%
Avatar: The Last Airbender 12 25.53%
12 25.53%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97) 7 14.89%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97)
7 14.89%
Other (Say what in the thread) 1 2.13%
Other (Say what in the thread)
1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 11th, 2018, 07:50 PM #2681
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Yeah, Changeman actually had quite a few with the crew of the EDF and probably did it the most prior to Busters.

-----

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters: Mission 8: Protect the Machine Blueprints!

No matter how secure that room is, some cell company's going to come along and get an exclusive deal.

With the continued threats from Vaglass, the Go-Busters need all the help they can get in order to defeat the threat from another dimension. Lucky for them, EMC has labs which continue to develop mecha technology for their assistance, in particular a brand new mecha that should be of use to help with the battle against the Megazords. Unfortunately, anything that top secret is something that Enter obviously is going to have some sort of interest in and a means to hack his way inside, thus of course he ends up making an attack directly on the site. But when the Go-Busters defeat him, he takes it in stride and begins to comment that to keep up, Vaglass needs to "evolve" just as much as the EMC enemy, thus he actually ends up with a two-fold attack. The obvious: a Metaroid and Megazord combo that attack from underground, thus allowing for a tougher than usual battle not made better with no Go-Buster Oh due to the other mission. On the other hand, there is also the issue of a spy within the EMC compound, someone who knows about the plans and is willing to sacrifice them to Enter, despite being locked away tight and secure. The spy turns out to be a friend of Ryuji, someone who went to high school with him and who wanted to design Megazords (showing that Megazords were already in development and use building Enetron towers in 1999), but was stuck on security in the midst of all this and saw Enter's offer as a means of getting back at his superiors. Ryuji does finally convince him that he should believe in his dream and back down...but in a shocking ending, Enter still steals the plans and he gets money for it. It's tough to say he took the crooked money, but obviously there's a reason why Enter had to win: with the fourth Buster Machine coming and with Megazords as limited as what was left behind 13 years ago, even Vaglass has to evolve to face a threat that has changed in 13 years time while they're just using abandoned machinery. And as for the mecha: strangely this mecha is for this designer's...and Ryuji's...senpai: he was the one Ryuji was there to see that Christmas day of Messiah's attack and somehow he's going to be the one using the new Buster Machine. But here's a question: how can someone who vanished 13 years ago use a Buster Machine!?

-----

Happiness Charge PreCure: Ep. 8: Friendship in Danger!! Miss Fortune's Ominous Omen!!

Any resemblance of this nosy roving reporter to another nosy roving reporter from L'ecole Cinq Lumiere is purely coincidental.

With all of the action that Happiness Charge has done to fight against the Pikarigaoka threats, Megumi and Hime have become famous, even making the local Cure news. Unfortunately there is still the issue of Hime having problems meeting friends and keeping them, and she does have to expand her circle beyond Megumi (or mooching honey candy from Yuko) if she has to be successful with that. Luckily with a festival (it's a tad early but time is weird this season I've noticed), we finally get to see Hime hang out with...well, the rest of Megumi's friends prior to her becoming a Cure. (really if this was Futari or Splash Star, they'd matter...but the franchise is what it is now sadly) At the same time, the duo end up going to a fortune teller who happens to be another classmate working with Seiji; in this case it's Iona Hikawa, who is smart, skilled and all around powerful...and oh yeah, it's obvious she's Cure Fortune but don't tell her that to her face. She gives off a forboding when Megumi and Hime seek a fortune claiming they'll have the worst of fates...but she doesn't claim why until the end, which basically is that "don't trust Cure Princess". We know Cure Fortune sees problems with Hime, but the continued forboding without explaining why sort of just feels tough to figure out why she keeps doing this without giving any answers. It's just cryptic for cryptic sake, that's really all we get.

Oh and we actually get our third general for Pikarigaoka this time: an egotist by the name of Oresky. Considering we have a lazybones and a selfish sweets obsessed woman, it sort of feels appropriate to have yet another weirdo try to sell himself in that town. And we also FINALLY see more of the "world Cure movement" this season was supposed to be about...yeah it's stereotypes but this may be the only time we may see cowgirl Cures...or tech Indian Cures who seem like they're Labyrinth's match...or a Cure from France...wait what do you mean wait three seasons for a fairy who goes to France, that's a fairy, this girl's actually French! (there's also Urara...but she's half-French...and spent her entire life in Japan...)
Ataruman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 11:17 PM #2682
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

The elegance of the traitor plot is that just as all computer programs will inevitably have a flaw of some type, all humans would too. And those flaws could be security holes, which can be even more of a compromise than what the technology can deal with. On the flip side, humans are more capable of reform (in contrast with an adaptive artificial intelligence which is only growing stronger). Still, the damage was done, and Enter is smart enough to exploit any security flaw he can.

As for Ryuji's mentor, it's a really good setup for the other Buster Machine, and suffice to say, it's always going to be an enigma about that.
timegold is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 09:56 PM #2683
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

It's an interesting element: humans can make mistakes but learn from them; whereas machines/AI can also learn from mistakes but it just ends up being much more dangerous. And as for the mentor and why he needs a mecha (especially if he's trapped in the same subspace as the others)...well, that's for another day.

-----

Grandma Matchmaker: aka: More Trouble With Age

Um, Ashley...you've graduated from Angel Grove High...you don't need to read anymore...

("Taxi" theme plays...I love that song)

Um...binoculars over ridiculous shades? She must be nuts.

Wait a minute, she looks like an American version of Chisato's granny. Which means...yep, Ashley's doomed.

Granny, don't throw things to get my attention!

My husband...is an envelope? Yep, she's nuts.

Couldn't she meet "him"...whoever "he" is...in person and not just run off like that?

Yeesh, Mamamite sounds like a generic Midwestern soccer mom...probably the type who doesn't like shows like "Power Rangers".

Oh great: Astronema, considering the plot twist coming soon, don't act like Veruca Salt.

Husband nothing, granny wants to give Ashley an entire male harem!

If I were younger, I'd so get into his pants...but here I am running some random former juice bar I had to fix up.

Ashley: Meh, none of them want to be a space hero; now that's what I'd be turned on by.

Granny, how do you know who these men are? Unless...you want whatever Ashley doesn't want for YOUR male harem!?

Really I don't get why they had to make this episode. This isn't Japan and cultural values are much different in this country. (just deal with it, Ataru, it's just one episode)

CARLOS! RIGHT, I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE INTERESTED IN HIM BEFORE HOTTIE...ER, ANDROS CAME ALONG!

Even Adelle doesn't fall for it. Really I wonder if she's an alien too...or just knows this town much better than Ernie or Stone.

A year? So...I guess it has been a year since "A Drive to Win", huh?

Adelle: That's it; these white folks are crazy.

Saved by the beeper...no seriously, it's a beeper, no one outside Zordon has interesting communicator beeps.

We'll be right back doing...romantic things...if fighting Astronema's servants is romantic...

GRANDMA! JUST STAY WITH YOUR MALE HAREM AND LET CARLOS AND ASHLEY DO THEIR THING!

Frizzies? Is that an Adelle addition or is this one of Ernie's lost recipes she discovered?

Mamamite: Oh gosh and golly, this better speed things up, I bet it does.

You're too late...I put my hand on the ground, that means my Earthbending should hit right about now!

For a bulky midwestern termite mom, she really knows how to fight.

That's the beginning...but the rest will be dealt with by....well someone else if someone would just hatch already.

They need the Quadrablaster; you just need that Spiral Sabre gun.

Mamamite: I knew these West Coasters are too freaky for me! (explodes)

Well all that hype and Mamamite's done for. So...what was the point?

Well at least Angel Grove can still be someone's dinner even if it isn't destroyed right away.

Carlos: Look, you turned me down for a year, so why do you think I should go along with this now?

At least TJ remembers the old plan of the writers.

Eh, at least Andros hasn't watched Star Trek and found out all the weird mating rituals of other worlds in that universe.

Granny, what about the drinks? Did you at least bring them one of the Frizzies?

I think I used to have a camera like Ashley's granny.

We're just friends...trust me she told me that time and time again last season and now I believe it.

At least they cleared it up faster than Chisato and Kouichiro I suppose.

Mrs. Hammond, it just won't work. Just let it be.

And...she's still not letting it go. Um, Andros...something...anything...

Hawaiian shirts. She stole it from the Surf Spot's back room, didn't she?

Now they're all with binoculars. Really this isn't what Power Rangers was meant to be...how did it become like this?

SHE HAS A CELL PHONE!? GRANDMA HAMMOND HAS A CELL PHONE!?!?!? Eh, it's 1998, not 1993 so...

I think Carlos told me that he hates merry go rounds and that he's nauseous about now.

Love is not going to feed someone, Granny...

There, I'm holding his hand. GO HOME!

Adelle: I wanted to give you two milkshakes but grandma tipped me so much I had no choice. You know how tough it is to run a restaurant.

Cassie's having the time of her life; but after going on a date where Angel Grove was nearly nuked, this is much safer.

Look if this was the pseudo-50s MMPR team, I could see this...but now it's just awkward.

What are those noises? First things first: WHERE THE HECK DID YOU GET THAT CELL PHONE, MRS. HAMMOND?

Ah an earthquake. Just like old times.

And cut to Japanese footage where the ground starts rupturing.

Yeah...termites...from concrete...well this franchise has had weirder.

I'd be impressed by the termites eating the town if granny wasn't acting like she was having a fit.

Wait they nearly ate the Power Rangers and didn't? What are they allergic to grandma?

Grandma, go home! That's the best advice anyone can give to an old woman like her.

Oh great and she wants to take Ashley with. At least it confirms Ashley isn't an Angel Grove native...then again really no one is at this point...except maybe Carlos...

Time to call in the Terminex squad!

This is unreal: plastic termites!

Well there goes those weapons. Um...does Andros have spares of those?

Hardened universal steel? Wonder how the heck you make something like that.

I think they'll find the Rangers tasty...though really the raisin should be the best target for them at this point.

Hey, it's just like the Chromites: they just combine into one big...bug? HEY, ASTRONEMA, YOU'RE GOING BACK ON YOUR "NO MORE BUGS" PROMISE!

So far it feels like one hive mind more than a multiple personality, Cassie.

I AM TERMITUS...I really have a better name than my pathetic mama.

TJ, don't torment the monster it will just make things worse.

I'd say the city looks like a wreck but a lot of it is in Termitus' belly about this point.

Look I want to help but grandma just won't leave me alone!

Grandma, you're old and annoying and I'm trying to save the universe. Let me do this.

Police, finally! Arrest this imposter that thinks she's Ashley's grandma!

Oh great, granny took karate. That explains Ashley I suppose.

Grandmother taking over police property! Do you realize how this will look on my record?

Funny how it changes footage and the car is suddenly Japanese.

At least she knows of the Power Rangers. I thought news of their actions didn't reach that far inland.

Bigger pest? You were eating the town fine until about a moment ago. Why not stick with that?

I'm here guys...but got to run in shadows so that grandma doesn't see that I'm here!

Buzz off? Termites don't buzz...or do you still think you're fighting Sting King?

An electric termite...so that's how he was able to eat that lamppost earlier.

Bumbleranger? Meh, if only Sentai allowed for Bug heroes...that aren't beetles...that are typically in pairs...

Oh great, granny's gonna run it over. With a police car. Why...didn't Bulk, Skull or Stone ever think of this?

Speaking of Power Rangers: I get we've had old men Rangers, but why not an old woman?

FEAR THE BACKWARDS JAPANESE LICENSE PLATE!

Dang the car can resist lasers. Maybe it's secretly an SPD test vehicle.

GRANDMA...ARE YOU WEARING YOUR DRIVING GLASSES!?

Yeesh, I think I know what happened: the car's from Briarwood and it's actually Hades Beast Mimic pretending to be a Newtech vehicle.

Look, Andros: she's crazy and I don't want you any more involved than you already are.

Not sure how I'll help you from the side but just let me handle this as it comes along.

Is it really that tough to find a locking device on a speeding police car?

SUPER RANGER BRAKING ACTION!

And right in front of the concrete pillar. One more foot and Ashley would have had to send granny home in a body bag.

I just want to help; I don't have many years left on this planet and it's all I can do.

Don't patronize her, Ashley, she'll just forget it tomorrow with her senility and madness.

Look, I'm a Power Ranger and I have a crazy grandma...it's not you, its just like you.

Goodbye now, goodbye.

Look, I can deal with Astronema much easier than someone like you!

You messed with my grandma...not that weird old woman you just saw, my real grandma!

It's utterly goofy that Termitus has much more direct, bigger rays yet Ashley's slingshot gets through and his can't.

Cut, print, that's a wrap.

I'm not going down to a grandma girl!

Well we have to go backwards to transform...it's a bit ridiculous but what can you do.

And now Termitus remembers it's a composite being.

Ick, termites. And considering their appetite, this isn't going to end well.

I've got a plan: ANOTHER MECHA!

We've got to hurry...these termites legs are hypnotic!

Now that's how you...de-bug...a program...too cheesy?

And now they have a...freeze ray? SINCE WHEN DO ANY RANGER ZORDS HAVE A FREEZE RAY...well, after Mastodon's trunk?

Now if only the Orkin man was this efficient with termites.

Um...how many suitcases did grandma bring? And did she really stay at the Surf Spot?

Let her down? I'm still wondering how the heck grandma got this idea in this day and age?

Adelle, no one she finds is going to be good enough for you, sista.

It's alright: I gave Adelle my number for when she's ready to move on. I heard she wants to get out of Angel Grove too and that this is a temporary gig.

Cab driver: Look, lady, if my wife and kids hear about someone like you...

("Taxi" theme plays)

Adelle: Really, she's the only person I met who likes my Frizzies.

Credits: She may be tough but she'll never be good at action quotes.

Thoughts: As I mentioned earlier: I get needing to transition some Megaranger plots into this season...but why the heck did they have to go with this one? Ashley and Carlos may have been a "thing" (or attempted to be a "thing") back in Turbo, but to push it again cause "Ashley's grandma" comes to town really just felt rather pointless and forceful...let alone the nonsense with the matchmaking elements in general, which in 1998 really felt awkward in America (unless Ashley's Jewish and not telling us) The only thing I did find fun were the stuff with Mamamite and Termitus; the former due to her Midwestern mom accent...and the latter because it's always cool when you have a composite monster that can actually use it's "splitting and coming together" to it's advantage...compared to the mess they made with King Kunekune in the Craterite episode.

The Barillian Sting: aka: Bugs in the System

Well back to looking for Zordon on some weird world. At least everyone's forgotten Ashley's grandma already.

Footprints! I say...giant duck.

I don't think Zordon would set off a distress call. He's Zordon, he's a bit arrogant and wouldn't want to play princess with his Rangers.

This distress signal is working...don't you think taking an RC controller and making it into something else is just a cool tactic?

And along comes...some new guy.

Darkonda, huh? Meh, guess we're getting Guirail after all.

Hey, I'm getting a boner. Can't you see my sword grow?

Newest lackey? Ecliptor? Um...backstory...somebody?

Look, Astronema likes my Bale voice; just let us be or I'll slice you to bits.

Predictable? Hey, Ecliptor spent...hours coming up with this scheme.

CHARGE...THEY FELL FOR THE PIRHANATRON FOOTPRINTS AFTER ALL; THOSE GULLIBLE RANGERS!

You're old fashion; why not just go random and ridiculous like me!

A faster way...and it's a bug cocoon. Let me guess: Scorpius sold you that? Or his lackey Deviot?

Oh...there was a bug inside the cocoon. Eh, makes transport more effective.

I'm not letting it sting me. Do you realize how virtual tech never likes bugs?

Carlos: AAAH, IT BIT ME! WHAT A WORLD!!!

Ecliptor: Those teleportation effects were never as cool as the old show's.

He's gone...yeesh and just when I was ready to chew Darkonda out.

Oh great, it's another of these episodes. Didn't we already turn Carlos into a vampire that we need to turn him into a bug now too?

Andros: Oh I went through this too. Just wait until your jaw falls off and it will be much easier.

What, you thought I was all humanoid? Remember: I could just look humanoid and be something else entirely.

Andros is definitely prepping Carlos' last rights. This isn't going to end well.

Toadstool? Seriously, the Putties are more toadstools than a Quantron.

You're all worthless and weak. NOW DROP AND GIVE ME TWENTY!

Yeah Darkonda turned Black Ranger into a bug. I would have turned him into a virtual being myself.

I'm going to give that Ranger some salve to cure him...AND THEN KILL HIM AND TAKE ALL THE CREDIT!

Look, I don't like intruders unless I'm the one intruding. Particularly with mutant ninja turtles.

I'm a bounty hunter. I have the death sentence on twelve systems.

Darkonda? That name seems familiar....eh, time to ignore it and fein ignorance with arrogance.

This guy is a cheat. He still owes me credits and he probably spent it on that bug from Scorpius.

Wise to distrust strangers? That's all Ecliptor.

Yeah I'll have all the Rangers...as soon as I deal with bug-boy Carlos.

Yeah I'm not a fan of bugs being virtual myself. Even ones with wings and six legs.

Brilliant...Barillian...see what I did there?

Yeah, there was a bug around here. Anyone got a net?

Hey want this? Just trade me with a Pinsir and it's all yours! (I had Red, not Blue sadly)

I'm evil...GOTTA GO!

Hey no dimensional warps! That's cheating.

Yeah, having surfboards that don't need terrain definitely comes in handy.

And I got this one from that transport vaccine used on the Go-Busters! (but now I fear chickens)

Guys I know you want to copy the Endor chase scene but those gliders at least felt more compact than your Galaxy Gliders.

Wait you had to open up another Barillian cocoon? What about the bug in your hand; was that already dead?

Shoot it before it proves it can bite past spandex!

AAH...GET IT AWAY, GET IT AWAY!

Nice leap...definitely gets you points on your race ride.

Um, bad aiming Andros. Maybe you should stick with slashing things.

And another dead bug. Sure this squad should become exterminators after all? Would help against Scorpius but...he's laying low surprisingly.

Yep...looks nothing like anything I've seen in your world.

These things are annoying. All they do is swarm and buzz; it makes summers annoying due to their mating call.

Yep, and now Carlos is becoming "The Fly". Quick, before he starts hitting on Ashley again and creates a mutant fly baby!

So the antidote...is it on KO-35...or associated with KO-35...so road trip or just search through the Astro Megaship?

Yep, we're going to KO-35...sorry girls, you're stuck with the fun part of holding down the bugman.

Carlos: Am I dying? Is this what it feels like to be dying?

Oh it's crackling; I think the popcorn's done.

Great, no fingernails for the Vallerte Museum of Natural History.

Carlos...are you Carlos or just some bizarre thing that used to be Carlos?

Those sounds...I knew it, Carlos really shouldn't be breeding with them!

Yep...Carlos is a bug. Well, it was nice knowing him; maybe there's some other Black Ranger we can re-recruit?

Ick...so that's how Vallertefly eats.

We need to search the ship...but there is still the whole "get back to KO-35" thing too.

Eh, Elgar really shouldn't be trying to run anything to do with Astronema's...anything...

I know where they're headed: TO QUEBEC! (what...the original "Fly" was in Quebec; the remake moved it to Toronto; seriously, "The Fly" is the first and greatest Canadian monster movie villain)

There is no antidote: the movie ends with the Ranger dead and Geena Davis crying her eyes out with his unborn mutant son in her womb!

Look, I have important intel but I need to be treated less like a threat and more like...your creepy, weird friend.

I don't get it: how does Darkonda know it's on KO-35? What about any other planet infested by those bugs?

Look if you want to deal with the Rangers bug problem, fine...but you handle it.

OK, and now they've gone "Alien" on Carlos. I thought this was still "The Fly"!

Nope, not Carlos. Not one bit. But we're still treating him like he's Carlos and not killing him...

Andros: Ick, those Nickelodeon guys really need to know when to keep their green stuff away from our property.

Ashley: Maybe if I was nicer to Carlos last time and went along with granny, this wouldn't be happening.

DECA, we're in the midst of a tense situation. Keep your beeps to yourself.

TJ: So, Cassie...there's some stuff we never talked about on that bus ride and it's the first time we've been together alone like this in forever...are you still going to Stone Canyon after this is all said and done?

And there goes Carlos. And he's not as gross as Andros thought he'd be.

Great, his head's a scorpion, not a bug. Seriously, why doesn't he have scorpion poison in him or something?

So...anyone got any plans for how to deal with him before he destroys the ship...or makes us destroy the ship?

CARLOS, IT'S ME, CASSIE...YEAH WE NEVER HUNG OUT BUT I PROMISE WE WILL ONCE THIS IS OVER!

Ewww...hers looks like a nipple...not sure what she'll end up being but I am happy Carlos finally has a mate.

So Carlos gets to mutate shirtless and not Cassie. That's gender discrimination.

Andros, why not take Ashley with? I mean TJ can handle the bug...he's TJ, he just can.

If you have to shoot, shoot. Use your anger at Cassie and your granny make it lethal if need be.

Do they have to hurry? I somehow imagine Cassie's mutant form to be...well, a sexy bug girl...like Scorpina...or that Trakeena I've heard rumors about.

Yeesh, this place is just getting noisy with Carlos running around in it.

NO, NOT THE STYROFOAM CEILING! THAT'S WHAT KEPT COSTS DOWN IN THE MEGASHIP!

Come on, Carlos. Just gurgle "LET'S ROCKET!" and see if you can fit in the black shoot, I'm sure it would work.

Great now the whole ship is dead and the styrofoam's gone. Carlos really did clean up after himself.

Ashley: I don't believe in spooks. I don't believe in spooks.

THIS IS THE HOSPITAL...AND SEE THAT CUBE WITH THE WEIRD SIGN: YEAH, WE HAVE IT ON OUR WORLD TOO!

When in doubt, shoot things.

Yes, and it looks so weird and convenient.

Look, I have this weird grotesque growth on my face and I need to use that before you!

Lucky we got a former Red with you, Andros, I don't think you could have handle this on your own.

And now they're in that pipe room so many Sentai use. Wonder where KO-35's quarry is.

Bug him? You look nothing like a bug, Darkonda.

WANG SWORD, GROW FORTH!

The Battlizer? Um, Andros...that's only really good for the Delta Megazord. What's that going to do here?

RIDER...GLOWING MEGA CHOP!

And here's a RIDER PUNCH! for good measure

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO STEAL MOVES FROM ANOTHER FRANCHISE! I'LL MAKE SURE IT REVIVES SO YOU RANGERS CAN NEVER USE THEM AGAIN!

Disturbance...Carlos or Cassie?

Yep, the monster has his bride.

DECA, they're both freaks. Sure I can't just kill Cassie?

Meh, lame. I was hoping something would differentiate Barillian Cassie.

It's me; that girl you nearly dated last time...and that girl the other you...sort of can't stand...

And the cure...is a healing mist. Eh, I was hoping for a needle but...

Well that was quick. I guess there goes the Vallerte Museum of Natural History.

Cassie: I never want to go through that again unless Ashley does it first.

Darkonda: Using Rider moves in a Ranger fight; how lame are you?

Last of what antidote? The two were cured, and I don't know of anyone else infected.

Oh great, another cocoon. How many of those bugs did he buy?

Oh, giant sized. Guess he didn't need to bite them after all.

I am so pissed with what it nearly made me do. Eating with saliva and sucking it up, that's just gross.

Well now its' a giant Barillian Bug. So...does that turn Megazords into mutants?

Um, Astro Megazord...wrong direction..there you go.

Come get some.

Andros, you don't have that good reflexes. It's almost like you're a video game master.

And thus is burns up and...kaboom. Not sure that was one of Darkonda's smarter moves.

See, this is why we can't trust bugs. I specifically told Dark Spectre "NO BUGS"!...sure Scorpius bothered us for two weeks complaining what an asset he and his daughter would be to the empire but he's stood by it so far.

If Darkonda tries to force us into another alliance with Scorpius, then I'll kill him myself.

Yep, we totally won. The bugs were just a distraction; besides, Scorpius could never launch an all out invasion without our resources.

So his lesson is...Andros is the only Space Ranger? And...what about the other four? Heck, he's working well now and even had TJ help the others while you tormented him.

Yep, I got a plan. And this time it won't involve bugs.

Andros: Why do I keep coming back here? Not like it's going to solve the whole locket mystery.

And the flashback again. Seriously, Andros, your sister Karone looks goofy with that haircut.

Oh great...that flashback...that guy who took Karone looks just like...DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN!!!

Andros: Why the heck does the audience realize it but not me?

My sister...yeah, her haircut was dumb.

I'm sure I'm close...I can taste it, Karone is nearby...maybe even following us all along...

Come on..there's nothing on this planet anyway.

Credits: Oh so that's Andros' drug of choice. No wonder he's immune to Ernie's crap.

Thoughts: This was an interesting attempt at a horror-esque episode that obviously homages "Alien" (and maybe "The Fly") but sort of got confusing. Considering the Barillian Bugs sting people and turn them into monsters, why the heck did the last Barillian Bug also turn into a monster; wouldn't it need a host to allow for it's full potential to be released or something? More importantly, this is the episode that introduces Darkonda, a new major threat that will affect the Space battle from here on. I like he's a bit of a wild card, doing things that seem much more unorthodox with the idea that somehow it's going to end up taking the Rangers down; it's tough to say he even has any alliance with Dark Spectre and is only in it for himself. (it sort of makes me wonder if there's something close to the truth of the Barillian Bugs being Scorpius' originally and Darkonda bought some off him) The Andros reveal is a bit confusing though:he didn't seem like he was the "only Space Ranger" unlike what Darkonda reveals at the end with how he ends up working together with the team (particularly TJ in getting the antidote to the others), so maybe Darkonda's misreading things...or maybe he knows something we don't.

TJ's Identity Crisis: aka: I Forget, Am I that Red That Came Before Me? (or: The TJ Search/Two Villains in One)

Time to play basketball...on Earth...um, guys...fate of the world...Zordon...and those jumpsuits look goofy.

Despite the attempts, it'll never be "The Trouble with Shellshock".

I'm black, this is my specialty. That and being cool.

Ashley, I didn't think you'd be that into Carlos after the whole "grandma incident".

BULLWINKLE, ALLEY....OOOOOOOP!

OK, so the game was a simulation...so what was the point of the stupid jumpsuits?

So the game was in simulation but the ball was real? Couldn't they just imagine the ball or something? Or would that fall into Gorenger Storm territory?

Eh, sure this is an alien world? Reminds me of some of the old sets they used outside Angel Grove.

Hurry? For what?

Don't say the mission's worthless; I think Darkonda's about to make that assertation of his own.

So plant a scanner on another world and search the galaxy. So...why on some world like this and not Earth?

Wow, I never knew how amazing space stock footage looked.

Matter of time? Considering it's just one small section of the sky, wouldn't you need something to allow for rotation to at least get a good grasp of that entire section fo space?

Darkonda: He sees when you are sleeping. He knows when you're awake.

Yeah I'm here; not disturbing you this late am I...or are you sleeping baed on KO-35-based...er, space time?

Look, if I had eyes in the back of my head I would have seen you, but since I don't, just listen to your empress of evil's orders.

Look, I'm shy usually so I think I need to get my points across when it's just one-on-one.

Ecliptor may be powerful and skillful, but brains? Seriously, you have to insert a reel to get them installed!

Oh great, so that explains that "sweet dreams" bit...why do I suddenly see Ecliptor wearing an apron and baking young Astronema cookies?

Look, he may be powerful but he's sort of dumb. Let me help you cause otherwise you're both screwed.

Oh and now Ecliptor's here too. Is everyone up this late? Or is this mid-day space time?

It's not a hidden scanner; if you go to the planet, you can see it rather up close and personal.

I don't trust either of you so...go together and...do some stuff or something, maybe the Power Rangers will go down.

Astronema: Well they're gone...NAP TIME!

Well at least the dish picked up something...at least it isn't like Homer Simpson stealing cable.

THAT'S NOT UNIDENTIFIED! THEY KNOW THAT AS ECLIPTOR'S SHIP! DID SOMEONE SCREW UP DECA'S SENSOR?

DECA: Can you just respect me, I'm trying to help you as best I can with all the stuff you keep hooking up to me.

Look, I know too much about you and your ridiculous cooking; I say it's terrible but I can't tell Astronema cause she still has to eat.

At least they cut off the illegal cable. And that's what happens when you steal channels you didn't pay for.

Great, and just when Road Rules was about to come on...

No "Let's Rocket", just down the shoots? You're losing it, Rangers.

"Get them, traitor". "After you, virtual brat."

RANGER, LISTEN, I HAVE SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO...(gets slashed)...TELL...

Well this is my plan: you go down, I take Astronema, we take over the universe together...simple stuff.

CYCLONE...JOKER! (WBX music)

What are they turning into? Eh so far a fog monster with lightning strikes.

Like the new look? I think it looks goofy but then I hear about what the Warchowski Brothers are doing...

Really the virtual elements just look dumb on you, Darkonda. Just stick with looking demonic.

Oh great, the Rangers have become cubed.

Andros: THINKING IS FOR EGGHEADS AND BLUE RANGERS! I'M RED SO I DON'T NEED TO THINK!!!

TJ: I used to be in your position, so really I know how you feel...and I still think.

Amidst all that, Darkliptor forgot about Carlos. Then again many forget Carlos.

And that's what Carlos gets for being a hero. So...if TJ's down, Andros basically botched this one big time.

Really I'd say Rangers on Ice but the green lines just look ridiculous for putting into drinks.

I promise I won't drop you...now how choppy is this region of space?

TJ, anything the matter? I mean sure your Earth partners are down but at least the two of us can be friends, right?

"I forget, is my name TJ? Last I heard, my name was...um...Tommy?"

Darkliptor? Weird Alien guy? Last I remember, I was fixing a car on Earth with a shrimp who grew into being a Blue Ranger.

Yep, he's clueless. He's a goner.

So here I am in the middle of space with some guy I never met before...Zordon, why can't I just teleport through space and I need a spaceship? And can I still use Jetting?

DECA: I don't know who this "Tommy" TJ keeps referring to is, but if he's as dumb as this, he really is doomed.

So, I was thinking of mixing together a little vodka and gin and throwing in these Ranger cubes. I'd call it the "Flurious Special"; think it would catch on?

Maybe I need a few more icy pillars for the castle; and perhaps a giant made of now; not some idiot like what Astronema wants with a carrot nose who likes warm hugs.

So you're partially my nursemaid and partially that creep Darkonda...I'm confused.

Yeah, Ecliptor's totally the traitor. Not me and my spikey vest and my creepy disposition and bounty hunter ways; it's totally Ecliptor.

I don't care if you're Darkliptor, Ecliponda or Steve, as long as you have results...

Look I can't get rid of these ice cubes; I haven't even figured what drink I'd make with them!

Darkness will fall...and hopefully we won't have BoukenBlack whining about it.

TJ: So...here I am...in space...and my name is Tommy...I wonder if I can fly this thing like I can fly a racecar...or do anything because I am "The Tommy".

Alien, that robot's voice is too high pitched. Sure it shouldn't be jive talking...or panicking with an endearingly annoying voice?

I don't know who I am and why you need help, when I have things to deal with...like seeing my brother David; I always liked him.

TJ: Power Ranger? Sure I'm not a VR Trooper, I think I could work as that with all the craziness here.

RANGERS, I'M HAVING A SALE ON ICE CUBES...EITHER JOIN IT OR WATCH AS YOUR FRIENDS COOL A NEARBY SWIMMING POOL!

Look that guy looked freaky; if it isn't some gold griffon guy or a robot, I'm not fighting it.

You're a Power Ranger and I'm going to make you a Power Ranger even if it means manually covering you in spandex myself!

Hmm...that costume...where's the shield? I should have a gold shield of some sort.

Um, Andros...Galaxy Glider...not sure you can teleport in space...

I was thinking of putting all three of them together but I realized Cassie talks too much so if they get free, she'll have no one to talk to.

Where is TJ, I'm trying to complete my Ranger set. What do you mean he's "Tommy"? WHO THE HECK IS TOMMY!? (Andros: I'm asking the same question myself)

Good thing for the Battlizer, but Andros still has to make a hit.

Yeah, your friend's not here and I don't care about this "Tommy" character. You are mine!

Nitouryuu really does fit Darkliptor well.

Hey...there's a basketball here...I like basketball...don't I?

("Also Sprach Zarathustra" starts playing)

These people...I know them...I actually know them...

A LOCKER!? I GET THE POINT IN THE SHUN FOCUS IN MEGA, BUT WHY WOULD THEY HAVE LOCKERS ON THE ASTRO MEGASHIP!?

I remember these guys...what planet were we on and where did I get that hat?

So...what was the number again...555...913...333...

It looks like Earth but isn't...either the sets are cheap or it really is Earth.

Wait...he's Red and not me...so what am I? Green? White? Some other color?

OK I think I got it...3...3...5...can I get a pizza?

I am a Blue Ranger. Not sure why or how but that's my lot in life.

SO THAT'S WHERE YOU'VE BEEN! At least it's another for my collection.

That Andros was boring. Maybe you'll be a better match for me.

This prop may look dull but it's actually rather effective and sharp. Just stay there for a moment and we'll get this done.

Well ignoring the squibs, this feels familiar.

Andros, I'm back...DID I REALLY THINK I WAS TOMMY!? WHAT THE HELL, MAN!?

If I recite the names one after another I'm sure something cool will happen.

Well memory's back, time to kick some.

Time to do that basketball thing again in the real world!

The play...TOSS WEAPON ATTACK AND HOPE IT HITS DARKLIPTOR!

Darkliptor: THAT WAS DUMB! (gets shot) WHAT THE HECK, MAN!?

Sword and tomahawk doesn't have the same coolness as sword and sword but...what can you do.

Dang it...but did Ecliptor get what he needed from the library?

Well that was a quick thaw. Warm fronts these days, what can you say?

Invincible? You were fused with a virtual CGI man; you know how fragile they get.

Yep, basketball really is good for making up new strategies.

Nope, we're not through yet...we still have to do our giant fight!

Yeah Andros needs to do his thing so...TJ gets the call for the original.

Payback Time...it's like Morphing Time but with more punching.

They really need to be cleaning up all those bullet clippings they're polluting that planet with.

I'm a coward so you die instead. Good deal, right?

I'm not through...Ecliptor...yeah he's hitting the showers.

I'll get you next time, Rangers...next time...(cat rowls)

Yeah, Astronema wants you alive. I don't get her but...

Look, either you tell her the truth and I go away, or I tell her about the time you sang that song to her as a little girl and then she'll puke like mad due to bad memories.

Yep, she bought it. Darkonda's definitely won this round.

Me an equal to a bounty hunter? Eh, only if he does the grunt dirty work of cleaning up the Dark Fortress.

Well, new satellite time. Let's fine a better planet where no one will ever show up.

And there went that idea. Was worth while it lasted.

TJ, forgetting about basketball? What sort of African American male is he?

So I shoot a ball into a basket...like racquetball...

FOOLED YOU!

Credits: Fun with tongues.

Thoughts: This one...it was an innteresting adaptation of a Megaranger plot that sort of worked but not necessarily perfectly. I did like the idea of the Rangers being proactive in their search for Zordon, but they shouldn't be so obvious when you have the likes of Astronema and Darkonda running amuck. Darkonda fusing with Ecliptor is way more maniacal than in Mega, where Guirail basically did it accidentally and was just trying to fight for his life and worth by that point, whereas here Darkonda's way more devious and was able to manipulate this on purpose as if using Ecliptor as a suit of armor to improve his own powers. The TJ memory plot unfortunately was just Shun's from the original but I did like how they made it work with TJ, showing his actor knows what he's doing in making the character and even the scenario his own.
Old January 13th, 2018, 12:19 AM #2684
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Um, Ashley...you've graduated from Angel Grove High...you don't need to read anymore...
She did? Off-screen?

My husband...is an envelope? Yep, she's nuts.
It's for tax purposes. Just roll with it.

Husband nothing, granny wants to give Ashley an entire male harem!
If Cassie ran off with one of those weirdos, this could very well be one. And Ashley used to hang with Justin and Adam... things didn't quite work out with Adam.

Even Adelle doesn't fall for it. Really I wonder if she's an alien too...or just knows this town much better than Ernie or Stone.
Maybe she's a nurse.

Adelle: That's it; these white folks are crazy.
Mmm-hmm.

Saved by the beeper...no seriously, it's a beeper, no one outside Zordon has interesting communicator beeps.
Don't worry, that excuse will be valid soon enough.

Well at least Angel Grove can still be someone's dinner even if it isn't destroyed right away.
Mmm... Angel Food Concrete...

Carlos: Look, you turned me down for a year, so why do you think I should go along with this now?
Teasing to make him think he still has a chance.

Eh, at least Andros hasn't watched Star Trek and found out all the weird mating rituals of other worlds in that universe.
Yeah. Those Klingons and their rough play. Those Ferengi and whatever they do with the ears. Those Vulcans and logic puzzles.

Hawaiian shirts. She stole it from the Surf Spot's back room, didn't she?
Who knows, maybe she bought it at a police auction after the whole place was raided.

SHE HAS A CELL PHONE!? GRANDMA HAMMOND HAS A CELL PHONE!?!?!? Eh, it's 1998, not 1993 so...
Even the grannies are getting with the times.

Adelle: I wanted to give you two milkshakes but grandma tipped me so much I had no choice. You know how tough it is to run a restaurant.
Her milkshake brings all the granny's photos of boys to the yard...

Well there goes those weapons. Um...does Andros have spares of those?
With their track record, he'd better.

Police, finally! Arrest this imposter that thinks she's Ashley's grandma!
They would, but Stone took all the handcuffs with him when he went undercover.

Oh great, granny took karate. That explains Ashley I suppose.
Ah, the cheerleader who fought against piranha-monsters on the soccer field.

At least she knows of the Power Rangers. I thought news of their actions didn't reach that far inland.
TJ admired the Power Rangers before he even met them. And he wasn't from Stone Canyon. (So, where was he from?)

Oh great, granny's gonna run it over. With a police car. Why...didn't Bulk, Skull or Stone ever think of this?
Bulk and Skull are still traumatized over a reckless cab incident. Stone would've had to file a report with Internal Affairs.

Speaking of Power Rangers: I get we've had old men Rangers, but why not an old woman?
Just wait until some Briarwood dimensional rift appears.

FEAR THE BACKWARDS JAPANESE LICENSE PLATE!
Oh... that's not the language of Ventara?

Is it really that tough to find a locking device on a speeding police car?
Whatever happened to that automotive shop class that Ashley aced? Or did it not cover the secrets of government vehicles?

I've got a plan: ANOTHER MECHA!
Someone's taking cues from Zordon.

Um...how many suitcases did grandma bring? And did she really stay at the Surf Spot?
Oh, those grandmas, setting up dates for their granddaughters, stealing police cars, lodging at restaurants and taking up all that space...

Hey, I'm getting a boner. Can't you see my sword grow?
Worst. Pickup line. Ever. (Does he really think that's going to get into Ecliptor?)

A faster way...and it's a bug cocoon. Let me guess: Scorpius sold you that? Or his lackey Deviot?
Scorpius would never sell such a family treasure. He's saving it for someone special.

Oh great, it's another of these episodes. Didn't we already turn Carlos into a vampire that we need to turn him into a bug now too?
Carlos has the worst of luck.

Andros is definitely prepping Carlos' last rights. This isn't going to end well.
There's Catholicism on KO-35? Has the Spanish Inquisition gone too far?

I'm a bounty hunter. I have the death sentence on twelve systems.
With those types of things, it's a best case scenario if it costs them an arm and a leg.

Yeah, there was a bug around here. Anyone got a net?
Surfin' shiyoze... hikaru net something something something

Yeah, having surfboards that don't need terrain definitely comes in handy.
As long as they don't stall over water. Or crash into clocktowers.

Yep, and now Carlos is becoming "The Fly". Quick, before he starts hitting on Ashley again and creates a mutant fly baby!
Eh, that seems more like Cassie's type.

Yep...Carlos is a bug. Well, it was nice knowing him; maybe there's some other Black Ranger we can re-recruit?
New recruitment needed? Onward, to downtown Angel Grove! (Skip the orphanage this time. Might get complicated.)

Eh, Elgar really shouldn't be trying to run anything to do with Astronema's...anything...
It's one lesson his aunt never properly taught him.

Ashley: Maybe if I was nicer to Carlos last time and went along with granny, this wouldn't be happening.
Yeah, maybe she'd be stuck at a wedding. Her own.

TJ: So, Cassie...there's some stuff we never talked about on that bus ride and it's the first time we've been together alone like this in forever...are you still going to Stone Canyon after this is all said and done?
I'd guess the guys there aren't weird enough for her. She met one of them, and all he wanted to do was voice those weird guys.

So...anyone got any plans for how to deal with him before he destroys the ship...or makes us destroy the ship?
Destroy the ship? It's too early to pull a Janeway!

Do they have to hurry? I somehow imagine Cassie's mutant form to be...well, a sexy bug girl...like Scorpina...or that Trakeena I've heard rumors about.
Well, one of those married a winged monkey. The other actually made all the guys' heads turn.

NO, NOT THE STYROFOAM CEILING! THAT'S WHAT KEPT COSTS DOWN IN THE MEGASHIP!
Soundproofing: surprisingly important.

And now they're in that pipe room so many Sentai use. Wonder where KO-35's quarry is.
It's probably on a different planet. These all have to be defined by one aesthetic feature.

WANG SWORD, GROW FORTH!
Where are the police officers when you need them? Running juice bars? Having their cars stolen by grandmas?

It's me; that girl you nearly dated last time...and that girl the other you...sort of can't stand...
Yep, that's why Facebook invented "It's complicated".

Well now its' a giant Barillian Bug. So...does that turn Megazords into mutants?
Hopefully it works only on bioorganic lifeforms.

If Darkonda tries to force us into another alliance with Scorpius, then I'll kill him myself.
Nah... you'll never get the chance to meet him.

Andros: Why do I keep coming back here? Not like it's going to solve the whole locket mystery.
Something nostalgic about all of it. And maybe he missed a clue or something.

And the flashback again. Seriously, Andros, your sister Karone looks goofy with that haircut.
Totally needs a new hairstyle. Then keep changing it.

I'm sure I'm close...I can taste it, Karone is nearby...maybe even following us all along...
Come on, Andros. Ashley's grandma may have been following you but the timeline doesn't fit.

So the game was in simulation but the ball was real? Couldn't they just imagine the ball or something? Or would that fall into Gorenger Storm territory?
After the last simulator malfunction, it'd be irresponsible to make as something as dangerous as a basketball.

Eh, sure this is an alien world? Reminds me of some of the old sets they used outside Angel Grove.
Aha! Convergent evolution applies to alien architecture!

Matter of time? Considering it's just one small section of the sky, wouldn't you need something to allow for rotation to at least get a good grasp of that entire section fo space?
Worse, they have to scan a spherical section in 3D instead of a circular section in 2D. That complicates the search pattern.

THAT'S NOT UNIDENTIFIED! THEY KNOW THAT AS ECLIPTOR'S SHIP! DID SOMEONE SCREW UP DECA'S SENSOR?
Damn those turtles, messing with the programming. Or maybe those Barillians.

At least they cut off the illegal cable. And that's what happens when you steal channels you didn't pay for.
If only there were still police officers around.

CYCLONE...JOKER! (WBX music)
If they want to make it a threesome, they could totally go Xtreme.

Oh great, the Rangers have become cubed.
Cubed? Uh-oh, is it furry time?

TJ: I used to be in your position, so really I know how you feel...and I still think.
Well, at least that's his asset this season.

Amidst all that, Darkliptor forgot about Carlos. Then again many forget Carlos.
Carlos who?

"I forget, is my name TJ? Last I heard, my name was...um...Tommy?"
Amnesia, check. Ego, still unknown.

Darkliptor? Weird Alien guy? Last I remember, I was fixing a car on Earth with a shrimp who grew into being a Blue Ranger.
Mmm... shrimp pizza...

Yep, he's clueless. He's a goner.
Aha, he must be Tommy!

So you're partially my nursemaid and partially that creep Darkonda...I'm confused.
Don't get any dirty thoughts, Astronema.

TJ: So...here I am...in space...and my name is Tommy...I wonder if I can fly this thing like I can fly a racecar...or do anything because I am "The Tommy".
No, no Tommy would be in space to find kabuki. Or fight in a coliseum.

Look that guy looked freaky; if it isn't some gold griffon guy or a robot, I'm not fighting it.
Nonsense. You'd fight it if it were named Jason.

Hmm...that costume...where's the shield? I should have a gold shield of some sort.
Where the Dapp do you think you're going to get something like that? You can't cross over with... yourself...

Hey...there's a basketball here...I like basketball...don't I?
Sure, Tommy like that thing too.

A LOCKER!? I GET THE POINT IN THE SHUN FOCUS IN MEGA, BUT WHY WOULD THEY HAVE LOCKERS ON THE ASTRO MEGASHIP!?
For the holographic simulator's gym?

So...what was the number again...555...913...333...

Wait...he's Red and not me...so what am I? Green? White? Some other color?
Black? (Everybody: WHOA THERE! This isn't "Power Falcons"!)

I am a Blue Ranger. Not sure why or how but that's my lot in life.
Good, now invent something.

Well that was a quick thaw. Warm fronts these days, what can you say?
Global warming? Looks like Erutan failed... on this planet too.

Payback Time...it's like Morphing Time but with more punching.
Unfortunately, "Let's Paybacking" doesn't sound catchy.
Old January 13th, 2018, 07:50 AM #2685
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

timegold wrote: View Post

If Cassie ran off with one of those weirdos, this could very well be one. And Ashley used to hang with Justin and Adam... things didn't quite work out with Adam.
When did Ashley ever date Adam? I know Adam coached soccer but he never hung out with the cheerleaders, just Justin...and Carlos...and Tommy...wait, was Adam in the closet all this time?

Ah, the cheerleader who fought against piranha-monsters on the soccer field.
Well someone had to teach Ashley the basics, why not grandma!? It worked for Katara...and Toph...

Oh, those grandmas, setting up dates for their granddaughters, stealing police cars, lodging at restaurants and taking up all that space...
Something tells me once this season ends, Adelle moves to wherever Ashley came from to make sure granny doesn't pull this again...and Fizzies, definitely to keep her satiated with Fizzies.

Scorpius would never sell such a family treasure. He's saving it for someone special.
He probably has some second-rate cocoons laying around. Save the good one for her, let the idiot bounty hunter have the crap ones with weird bug rules.

Eh, that seems more like Cassie's type.
I think we all agree now that Cassie's taste in men is...ewww....

New recruitment needed? Onward, to downtown Angel Grove! (Skip the orphanage this time. Might get complicated.)
Hey if Jason left the Peace Conference early, maybe Zack's still around too...Adam we're saving for something special.

Where are the police officers when you need them? Running juice bars? Having their cars stolen by grandmas?
Undercover. You said so yourself.

Nah... you'll never get the chance to meet him.
I did joke about it but considering Darkonda's goods, this episode could confirm that Scorpius was actually out there even at this point. As for why he wasn't affected by "the end of the season"...Zordon didn't know about him and whatever Zordon didn't know about was safe in my book. (so yeah, Scorpius, Lothor, Omni, Warstar/the Empire, Sledge [and perhaps Keeper]...all safe because there are some things Zordon can't keep track of...AND THAT'S JUST THE THREATS IN SPACE!)

After the last simulator malfunction, it'd be irresponsible to make as something as dangerous as a basketball.
If Rita or Fred were still around, then they wouldn't need a malfunction to make an evil basketball.

Damn those turtles, messing with the programming. Or maybe those Barillians.
Did the Turtles even know about the Dark Fortress? Or maybe they confused it with "Technodrome" and thus why.

Mmm... shrimp pizza...
But if he remembered pizza then TJ would still have a tiny semblance of himself. Tommy knows nothing of this Mad Mike. (unless he bought pizza there prior to leaving; but that would be the human Mad Mike and not the crazy one...then again human Mad Mike is about as crazy as monster Mad Mike)

But then he'd have a huge crowd behind him loving him...and then he'd think he really is Tommy! (and not...sniff...Kiba)

Unfortunately, "Let's Paybacking" doesn't sound catchy.
I'd say the same for "Let's Driving" but Engrish never stops being hilarious.

-----

Flashes of Darkonda: aka: Into the Den of Scum and Villainy

AAH, HEADS IN JARS...no wait, it's pics of Andros and Karone. Continue.

Andros: My pillow is so more comfortable than that Astronema's...

Oh great, bad memories of Darkonda from two episodes ago. Not sure that's going to make Andros any more confident.

It's a dream...but I can't read into it. I'm not that type of machine.

This locket...it really does look like those in that crappy photo frame in my room, huh?

DAGOBAH!? So...is this before or after Luke went there? And will they meet Frank Oz? Probably not but one could think.

DECA: Why can't I go to Dagobah? I swear I'm cuter than R2D2.

They get to go to meet with Jedi sages and I'm scanning that photo that they always use for space. This is a boring, boring life saving the universe.

Oh great, it's a special battery like for air conditioners. Not sure it will help but weirder things have.

Andros: I still don't get how the heck the footage was taken either but it's been a long night.

I just realized it...I SAW HIM IN THAT BAR ON TATOOINE...no wait, it's Darkonda. Should have realized that sooner but better late than never.

Andros, don't do it on your own...you still have Ashley and Carlos, don't be a hero and screw this up again.

Planet Onyx. So...guess it's full of rock snakes huh.

DECA, if you tell the others anything, tell them I went to Naboo. They won't know any better.

It looks rather...red...for a purple-named planet.

And Onyx is...a wild west town with space bikers. So...basically the equivalent of a Bowzock base in that old wild west town Super Sentai always uses...or is this the old set from Angel Grove 1894?

TENGAS!? So...either Fred's getting a cold one or they really are just hired help that the whole galaxy can use.

Hey it's Octophantom. Maybe Fred's here after all.

Sinister Simian? Eh, Snizzard was better but he was more into organs...when not high on meth.

Not sure I see any means of insectoid genetics in Darkonda...then again with what we find out later, maybe there's more to him?

Darkonda: I'm tired. Maybe one of the more attractive wenches is up here tonight...hoping for Miss Chief but maybe they'll surprise me and give me Madame Woe. Better not be Robocupid though, her voice is so annoying.

Nope, its random elf/Asian stereotype. Didn't think Darkonda was into that but...eh, whatever floats his boat.

Oh...strength potion...I'd say it's something more illegal but...kids show.

Really the girls here aren't what they used to be since Master Vile raided this and took the best for his M-51 harem.

Ecliptor: So he played me. Now I play him! The little guy...eh, good cover.

Remember, you never saw me. I'm a virtual program.

Darkonda: Sure there isn't something sexy in there after all? I don't want the elf or anything but if it gets me that strength potion...

Nope, didn't hear a thing. Thought I saw Ecliptor but he seems to be everywhere I want to be these days.

So that's what Jason's doing now. Not Lee Scott, the hockey mask guy from Crystal Lake...or is it Lee Scott actually?

So what'cha playing? Think we can do a quick round of Old Maid?

Oh so that's what Andros is doing. Once again it must be said...WOO-TEE-DEE!

Who am I? Very Buddhist question but we're not going to go into that sort of thing right now.

I think I've seen the round cards somewhere before so it isn't like it's that bizarre.

So, think these plastic crystals are worth much around here? I was hoping for glass ones but they're so fragile.

And I got these from a rare Aquatian beast.

All I have is...some key cards. Don't ask me what they're the keys of, but they do have a lock somewhere...somewhere...

So they're from Eltar...nice to see the backhistory of the battle of Eltar, but why didn't Zordon...oh, reveal them to the five previous Ranger teams? (unless those belong to the Robo Rangers)

Priceless? Eh if it's the key to Al Capone's vault...then someone's going to be hearing from you.

I'm in! I got to know what that's a key to!

Zanabas? What's a Zanabas and how does having 3 of them lead to something?

So 5 Zanabatars are better than 3 Zanabas...interesting...

A Zenta? Then...I'm so lost.

YOU CHEATED! SHOW ME WHAT'S UP YOUR SLEEVE!

Yes, free gun! Maybe I can add it to my Ranger arsenal with the Battlizer and the drill sword.

Look those Key Cards may be important so just let me have them for free and you won't get hurt.

Really I prefer the less authoritarian Jawas. He's almost like a Sand Person.

Onyx Juice specials...considering Ernie, I somehow wouldn't be surprised if these were actually NON-ALCOHOLIC

Yep, steaming. Must really like their cider on Onyx.

So the key cards...I was thinking they'd be excellent in my card game. Not like some weird hooded guy like you.

The cards? They're for information...and my plastic files in my binder. You know how cards get.

I've been everywhere and seen everything. And man, oh man, do my stories show the weirdness out there. There's a guy out there who looks like a Mexican luchadore but claims he's a fallen ninja master from Earth and taking care of these two girls he claims are his nieces. AND HE KEEPS BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL!!!! HOW BIZARRE IS THAT!?!?!?

Yeah, KO-35...that place is dead but it's dear to my heart.

KO-35? Yeah been there. Destro...er, spent a lot of time there once.

Key cards for information. Just tell me about Karone...er, what you know and I'll be good.

It reminds me of Earth only more abandoned. ANYTHING ELSE!?

But I do have backhistory. It isn't nice but neither am I.

There was this girl...no I'm not that disgusting...or am I?

The planet's boring now. It was boring then too but jobs are jobs.

Oh the girl? Eh, stuff happened and now she's wearing crazy wigs and hanging around annoying virtual bodyguards.

What, you're a Space Ranger too? Dang why do I always get drunk with the worst people!?

So what's your name...I got it...YOU'RE ZHANE...ER, I MEAN TOMMY...ER, CESTRO...ADAM...Andros...does 5th guess mean I still get my prize?

I like stealing weapons today. Got to keep a cover somehow.

YOSSHA LUCKY!

You don't often see sword fights in wild west taverns...but I guess it's still better than random laser effects.

YEAH I TOOK HER. HAPPY NOW!?

Not the cards, I wanted to use those for...stuff...

Hah, and I'm just that good at dodging.

Not sure Marvo the Meanie is the best to get your Ranger, Darkonda.

EVERYONE AFTER HIM...just my side of the cast; rest of you return to your drunken stupor and lusts.

Seriously the Pirhanatron wants a ride. GIVE THE PIRHANATRON A RIDE!

Hahaha, this trick always gets...WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE CAN FLY OVER IT!?

He has a flying surboard, they don't...other than the guy with the mini jet fighter.

So a wild west town with space battles and sword combat...any other genres you want to throw into this madness?

And since I use a surfboard and not a plane, I can do...THIS!

WE'RE FALLING BACKWARDS DUE TO OUR STUPIDITY AND NOT THAT EXPLOSION!

Well that was fun...DECA, hope you kept your end of the bargain.

Eh, all you probably got on Dagobah is muddy feet. I GOT THESE CARDS!

They "may" be stolen from Zordon but not sure. Knowing us it's probably what he did with himself before being a head in a jar.

And now Darkonda's making wrestling taunts...around a sunny plaza. What about Onyx!?

Yeah it was him. I knew I couldn't trust him when I saw that vest.

Yep, random weird stuff that makes no sense. That's Zordon's signature alright.

No clue what these are but I need to save Karone. It's foolish but I'm a fool.

And this planet is...another "Not Earth"?

Yeah I'll tell you but GIVE ME MY YU-GI-OH CARDS BACK!

But first, a little drink. Great that I know a place that has illegal substances in my sector of the universe. (sad to know they don't know of Ernie's infamy but...)

And now...SUPER-ELECTRIC DISCHARGE!

CLOCK-UP!

Enough random electricity, time for the sword!

POWER WHIP!

How is this super strength? You keep using speed and electric discharges?

Time for a new lesson on how to be a horrible monsterous jerk!

Well it's time to disturb you with my awesome echoy voice.

NO, DON'T TELL ME THEY THREW IN THE CAT DRUGS!

Eww...and this is why you don't mess with drugs, folks: it leads to randomly distributed goop.

Poison? When is "random goop coming from the body" poison?

Yeah, half the universe hates Darkonda. The other half just barely puts up with a jerk like him.

Dang I used up all my "Fly" jokes with "The Barillian Sting"...but hey, horror movies are always good for gross bits like this.

Oh great, it's time for Ecliptor to gloat about this.

Come back here so I can slice you up some!

YOU CAN'T DESTROY ME...even as I drop my sword...and grow huge...

Eh, Animal did it better in "The Muppet Movie".

I can't say anything anymore but I can still destroy you.

BURN, BURN, BURN TO THE GROUND!!

Yeah the Megazord should have come sooner but...situation was rather manageable prior to this.

He's gone mad...like Mad...Guirail? (or Darkonda)

I need to see what video games Elgar was just playing. Probably the Carranger game from SNES.

THAT DARKONDA! WHY THE HECK ISN'T THAT ELGAR!?

Really they just make statements and back them up with their own manipulation of scenarios. Like a typical politician.

Destroys the city? We don't even know what planet you're on anymore, how can you tell which city this is?

Yep, he's mad. Got to get out of here now and...um...

It was worth a shot but he's been quite powered up.

Seriously Darkonda was bad already but insane...yeah, too much.

So...screwed and nothing can be done...so...new plan?

Energy cyclone? Well it's worth a shot.

Lose the Megazord? Eh, you lost two already last season, what's another one?

ROUND AND AROUND AND AWAY WE GO!

Well that got him down...for now...

Yep, barely won but we still won.

And...nope, it failed. Dang, despite the sabotage, Darkonda's just tough.

And...he exploded off a buddy. Aww...Ecliptor made him someone to be friends with.

So now madman and squid...thing crushing the Rangers. Plan C...anything...

CEPHALOPOD POWER!

Yep, we're screwed and there's fire outside the cockpit. So...Plan D?

And now the red whirling light. The one that further says "we are screwed".

And thus they're defeated...not even by Darkonda but some random squid offshoot. Pathetic.

Can someone tell the Rangers to stop burning asphault?

Credits: Even DECA knows where Onyx is...and she still doesn't want you to go there!

Thoughts: For a Power Rangers episode, this episode had quite a few Star Wars references, whether or not they were intentional. While the infamous "Dagobah" line was a cute throwaway, the Onyx Tavern is introduced here as the franchise's own Tatooine Cantina, just a fun place for villains to hang out at and to just mish mash a bunch of genres together in a silly sort of way. We get a little bit more on the fall of Eltar with the key cards and I do want to see what happens with those, though I really did like the interactions here, including with Andros fooling Darkonda and finding out what happened to Karone and Ecliptor screwing with Darkonda leading to the "Mad Guirail" fight. Unfortunately once we get to the Japanese footage it sort of goes a bit downhill: it's still an impressive battle and it's great seeing Ecliptor in particular leading to Darkonda's mutation with their history now, but it's still more or less just a long Megazord fight that isn't going the Rangers way until next time...but with no I.N.E.T. group to help them, I just wonder how the heck they're going to get to next time...or if they'll just reveal what that planet they're destroy is since it isn't Onyx and most likely isn't Earth either.

The Rangers' Mega Voyage: aka: 1998: A Mega-Space Odyssey

OK, Mr. Cuttlefish, it's time to teach kids the lesson of the day: how to trash giant robots used by fleshy humanoids.

Time for twice the damage from twice the Darkonda!

Somehow like the bizarre clone he is, Darkonda's child has a weird idiotic voice. Must make him stronger.

Really all that work to get up after the cliffhanger and they're still getting trounced?

Wait...we went back into the past? Yeesh, did Keeper do this? (nah, he would have gone further back and screwed things up even worse)

Oh and while we didn't see the glass break, it totally did.

OK, can someone go down and check Astro Megazord's knee joints?

And now...it's Astro Delta Megazord...consistency...anybody?

So Jupiter's Moons hold the key. So I guess we're going from Star Wars to 2001 now.

Really, if the weapon is the Monolith...well they'll find inner peace and evolution but it won't stop the UAE.

There, we separated. It's official.

6 just gave them some extra money through that. I love those bank chutes.

Well we're leaving...so what should we tell Darkonda...and whose piloting the Astro Megazord?

Wait, the Rangers are leaving and heading into space? Didn't we get this plotline over 16 episodes ago? (and that Onyx guy is suddenly on the Dark Fortress...why? Is he still upset about the key cards?)

And now Astronema's using Dark Side Force tactics. So...yeah it's still Star Wars.

And even she knew Zordon had them. If those things were supposed to be special, why does everyone in the universe but Earthlings know about them? (again...Zordon...)

Look, I didn't even know a Zenta was possible without cheating! I only play the game for fun and never wanted to enter a competition with this. That's what the key cards were for!

Really, Andros should have thought of an outfit that hid his wrists.

Why the heck did we need this long flashback regarding the keycards?

The Rangers are going after more crap from Zordon? TO THE BATTLE CHIFFEROBE!

OK, giant space cuttlefish flying after the Rangers...that's funny.

He's trying to eat us. TIME TO MAKE FRIED CUTTLEFISH!

Eh he'll be OK...unless Darkonda's species actually needs an atmosphere to breathe.

Hey it's Jupiter. And the story actually has it AS Jupiter!

OK, now they're being pulled in by a tractor beam. Yeesh, suddenly I just imagine this to be a massive Death Star using Jupiter's clouds as cover.

Whoever is drawing them there, at least they have a cool entranceway.

Yep, gibberish. This is definitely Power Rangers footage and not Megaranger.

Um...whose fighting Darkonda? Oh yeah...auto control...forgot they still had that. (especially since Mega made it like "that takes away the human side")

No wait, it's not auto control; Darkonda's just using it as a punching bag while it remains in "sitting duck" mode.

Hmm...old style 70s computer...yep, that's it.

Look, I haven't worn this thing in a while and I think this wig looks sexy so let's just make it easy.

Zordon's sort of being controlled by Dark Spectre so what used to belong to him has been split between several factions...well OK, mostly just me cause I think Fred would just blow it up, Mondo would turn it into another monster, and Divatox...would probably blow it up but blame it on Elgar and/or Porto.

Well I can't open it but I can look fabulous standing here as the Quantrons fight.

Dang, is that a prototype Galaxy Glider? And why would it be here and not KO-35?

Yes, the chest area, that's bound to be his weakness?

Sorry, but its time for me to enter hero mode. Hope you don't mind.

Got the elevator working! Time to ride it!

One more for old time sake. I never liked Cassie anyway.

Of course they had to have this old bit. If they didn't it wouldn't be so classic.

Quantron: DANG THESE BULKY PHYSICAL BUILDS, BEEP!

I'm not sure what the gibberish stands for but we may as well follow it.

Ashley, if you see a railing, don't just fall into it.

You wouldn't need to be saving if you follow proper building protocol you know.

Mega Vs. So what are regular "V"s like?

Those things look...eh, they're space vehicles, I don't see the big deal.

If Zordon knew then...forget it, Zordon knows everything. He even knows what they had for breakfast yesterday even as Dark Spectre tries to suck his power dry.

And thus the suspicious "INET" continues to appear. Zordon always the cryptic.

Still don't get the need for the old style data cards...maybe he made them back in the 60s before he realized dinosaurs were much easier and cooler for kids to get into.

So who are opening all the doors for these guys?

TJ: This is TJ...why am I lying down while the rest of you get a regular cockpit?

Cassie: What's this...a stereo? (starts playing cheesy Frankie Avalon music) What the heck was that Zordon thinking? (Zordon: What it was popular back then; not having any Rangers listening to that annoying surf music or British pop)

I feel sorry for TJ: from a flying car to...a literal actual rocket while the rest get cool impractical but cool vehicles.

And here goes Amuro Rey, launching into battle to save his sister Sayla Mass from that annoying Casval...er, let me get this straight.

And thus back to referring to everything with that "Mega" pre-fix. What a Mega-Loss.

And this is why Andros shouldn't be leader when he has his Kenta moments.

TJ: Do you realize I actually had to learn to drive a flying car? Freeloader.

Astronema: That's it? That's the big reveal? Eh, I'll destroy them instead.

Oh great, the space squid's still out there. He can breathe in space.

I got this, I actually have limbs on this time!

Shoulder missiles (not gatling guns but oh well), fire!

Thanks...whoever you are. Being beaten up by seafood is embarrassing.

Yep, we have lasers too. We're awesome.

And TJ's maneuver is...to crash. Dang why does he have the real the terrible but realistic one?

TJ: Yeah that's my lot in life, transportation. Dang flying car stereotyping me.

ENOUGH WITH THE MEGA! WE GET IT!

Well the cuttlefish was Mega-cooked...so, got any more ideas for dinner?

Yeah we beat that guy. So let's go to...IT WAS EARTH ALL ALONG!?

6: MAYBE BY MAKING THE CONTROL ROOM LOOK MORE WRECKED, I CAN GET MORE FANGIRL SYMPATHY!

Oh brother, anyone know where there's a nearby Enetron power? It was a thing in 1998 so they're bound to be nearby.

Still not as creepy as HAL singing "Bicycle Built for Two".

We're probably not going to use these individual modes again because TJ still thinks his is lame...MEGAZORD TIME!

OK, that Mega V3 rocket going into the hole just felt very...um...yeah...like Darkonda's sword.

It's the core...ANDROS DID GET A GUNDAM! (well a Guncannon the least)

DECA, STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR ENERY LEVELS AND DO SOMETHING!

How do you get up? Remember: energy levels depleted!

Yep, now DECA is HAL singing "Bicycle Built for Two".

Another one? Wait was that Earth's moon or Jupiter's it came to?

we were going to call this the Voyager Megazord but the control panels and all the "Mega talk" got us into a consensus.

That was a kick, Andros. Nothing Mega about it.

DON'T DO THE TRAMPOLINE BIT UNLESS YOU'RE A VILLAIN; THAT'S JUST CRUEL.

Thanks for the chain, it was a real lifeline.

Remember that missile we had when we formed? Well...it went back into space because...

YOU'RE GOING TO FIGHT ME WITH THAT ARCHAIC PIECE OF JUNK?

NO, IT HIT ME WHEN THE FOOTAGE SEEMED TO NOT SHOW THE IMPACT! (explodes)

Alpha it's us. So what does DECA sound...OH NO SOMEONE TURNED THE BASS TOO LOW!

A vacation? Where, back to Edenoi?

And now the hard part: repairing DECA and Astro Megaship

Oh great, we need to really fix it up. Guess we're stuck on Earth for a while.

DECA, your voice...and did you just call TJ "RJ"? You're a bit early on that one.

The good news: at least Astronema's not attacking the planet...nor is anyone else for that matter.

Elgar, Darkonda lost. Don't celebrate.

He thinks Darkonda survived? Eh...well we've had Mondo survive worse and even Goldar went from a blowing up evil Zord to WWE taunts in stock footage so...

THE BIG BURRITO...now we really need a villain with that name. (or did he mean Bean Burrito, that Hogan knockoff from Regular Show?)

At least Elgar appreciates his own talking.

Yep back to the original plot: keep attacking Earth to distract the Rangers so they don't look for Zordon. Roger that.

Credits: And that's what would have happened if Ashley fell over.

Thoughts: Though this one was mostly stock footage, it was both better and worse than the Megaranger version. Better in that at least Darkonda felt more like a threat than Guirail, especially with a closer connection to Astronema than "hey I'm that random lackey of the villain no one cares about"; plus the fight in the lunar station to get to the Mega Voyager zords was fun. Worse in...the Mega Voyager intro fight wasn't one of the better ones and there were some crummy decisions like having Alpha 6 go into the cockpit in the last minute instead of having a more notable sacrifice of the I.N.E.T. staff to try and save themselves before the Mega Voyager was found. That and the first Mega Voyager fight with Guirail wasn't really that good even in the original so there wasn't much to work with. I do find it funny though that the team has most of their main mecha for the season only 17 episodes into a 43 episode season; not even halfway done and their toys are already out there.

True Blue to the Rescue: aka: Last Season Model Clearance

I guess with all the stock footage of Jupiter used, it was time they moved on to Mars.

Wait...Lightning Cruiser and Storm Blaster? Eh, this is a pathetic end to those two.

Bullied by Pirhanatrons. And there was once a day when Divatox wanted them as her own steeds...not like this but still, she had some respect.

Look, I haven't had maitenance in 10 million miles, now can I go into the shop?

I thnk the Pirhanatrons bought it. Sure they're tough but they're stlll dumb.

FOOLED YOU! (Zap)

It isn't the Turbo RAM but it still has a capable cannon on it's head.

NO, IT'S AN ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE, IT ACTUALLY CAN DRIVE IN THESE HARSH CONDITIONS!

LOS LOCOS HITS YOUR A**! LOS LOCOS HITS YOUR FACE! LOS LOCOS HITS YOUR B***S INTO OUTER SPACE!!!!!

At least the Pirhanatrons kept their bikes.

They actually extended the opening and gave Astronema a proper introduction pic...wait who are the fat guy and skinny guy, are they still on this show?

Oh great, it's Divatox. Quick, Astronema, tell her she can have Elgar back!

Blake Forster? Justin? Wonder why he's here? (well it is called "True Blue to the Rescue"...unless TJ finally decides to embrace the Blue thing)

I lost something important. His name is Elga...er, Storm Blaster.

It's really important; I was going to go to this jungle planet and someone said I needed the proper vehicle and somehow they said this would be useful.

WHAT DOES ASTRONEMA WANT STORM BLASTER FOR!? She has a Dark Fortress and can teleport anywhere, why does she need that thing?

Come on, let's just keep watching Divatox squirm, she's funny when she's squirming.

Watching Storm Blaster fly in space is ridiculous but does keep to what we know about it so...

Rangers, remember those two cars you used to do in your last form when I was jive talking? Well one's flying in space now...

TJ: Dang...now I match Storm Blaster's color and I can't drive it.

Yeah, Andros, these guys went through a lot when you were on KO-35 angsting. Short version: it's a flying car.

And...right towards Africa...meaning it should be in Angel Grove in three...two...

And there's the Quantrons. At least all that staking out is paying off.

Storm Blaster, can't you drive any faster?

It may not recognize the suits but it does recognize friends at least.

TJ: Look a lot's happened since last time...mind if I drive you?

Dang, her monster connections move fast.

A lion with a big gun. Sure it shouldn't just be a gauntlet for a virtuous beast sword?

Run...er, drive...do what cars do!

Stop? Hasn't anyone taught these villains about traffic safety?

And there it goes...with two random Quantrons chasing it...better kick it into overdrive or else it'll get away.

Oh hey Justin. New house? Heh, maybe he did leave Angel Grove.

Strong sentiment and actually good for Justin. After what happened at the end of Turbo, really I do like the continuity.

They included "Little Strong Man" in the flashback? And nothing with that racecar driver egotistical Red or the other Black pre-Carlos he stole girls from?

Enough looking at stars. Not like I can be an Ursa Minor Ranger or anything.

Even like Mr. Stewart. Just good continuity on this episode already.

Yep, daddy's having problems. As usual.

Dang, I wish I was a better father to him like TJ...and Carlos...and the Blue Senturion...and those other guys we can't really mention anymore...

Well that's a familiar honk. Guess Justin's got his Saturday plans.

Storm Blaster, my dad has to get out in the morning! Don't park behind him!

So to go out in jammies or not go out in jammies...maybe there's an extra change of clothes in the trunk.

I think the vrooming confirms Lightning Cruiser is having problems...eh, fits the episode but wish TJ got his buddy back.

You're shocked by this? Um Justin, you were a Ranger for a year, nothing's surprising anymore.

Of course he's going, dad's screwed him out of a real Saturday plan!

But seriously, Justin, at least get some real clothes on...maybe shoes...

(Hums "E.T. theme"...he's no Elliot and that's no bike but...the less said about Justin's time with bikes the better)

Meanwhile, Rangers in chain bondage.

Don't act so contrary, he's asking politely you know.

So here I am, on a mission to save the Space Rangers...in my jammies...

Trust me, my bowl cut knows that I can handle this.

How do I...dang those things are creepier than Pirhanatrons.

Yep, he's wearing slippers. Quantrons are so weak they can feel the impact of a kid wearing slippers!

Yeah, running them over is probably a better option than fighting them directly.

What are you doing? Justin, you know how reckless Storm Blaster can be!

A TURBO MORPHER!? HOW...WHERE...eh, my theory: Storm Blaster tied it to itself; probably also explains Lightning Cruiser and TJ when we get to "that episode" in four seasons.

Bored now, time to zap you with a Laser Light Cannon!

TJ: A BLUE RANGER!? BUT I'M THE BLUE...oh, Blue Turbo Ranger...I WANT TO BE RED AGAIN SUDDENLY AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!

Don't spoil you're a kid, Justin, these guys don't know about the Turbo Rangers and I doubt Dark Spectre wants to remind them that Divatox actually did something right.

Yeah, it's car themed and not cool like your suits but it has its uses.

DON DOGOLIER CHAIN SWING ATTACK!

Hey it's corrosive, dump the Quantron in and see what happens.

Really, this makes me want to so see a Sentai or Power Ranger use a kusarigama for a hero.

HEY YOU TOOK MY COLOR, STRANGE BLUE RANGER!

At least they agree they're both Blue bros...so how to explain Andros...

They keep using that barrel and don't dump the Quantrons in? Really what's the point of the warning if they're empty?

This is just an awesome fight: not just the double blue but the whole TJ/Justin dynamic that really didn't seem to be too emphasized compared to Justin and Carlos. (plus...former leader...)

Storm Blaster: YOU GUYS CALL FOR FIREPOWER?

BLUE LASER STORM ATTACK!

King? I don't even think this lion is good at being a court jester.

Nice to attack but really can't Justin join in somehow?

Astronema: Earth vehicles are lame anyway, time to destroy things!

Look I'd join in now but our Megazords were destroyed by Goldgoyle so...

They summoned V1 only? Wouldn't Andros just do that on his own?

Maybe I should have summoned the other four with me, huh?

Hey I flew in front of that...not as magestic but still cool.

Shut him down? Last episode would have been appropriate with the energy thing but here...nah doesn't work.

Shutdown, kanryou. (there I said it...it still felt wrong though)

Yeah I can't use a Zord to fire my own Zord but...you know how new toys come along.

Storm Blaster is annoying but he's endearing.

Yeah, there is Lightning Cruiser. Wouldn't feel right to leave a bro behind, isn't that right TJ?

Who needs a flying car when you have a surfboard?

Eh, who needs a surfboard when he has an ondeck radio?

And...Pirhanatrons. I guess after losing Storm Blaster, the chains were to make extra secure Lighting Cruiser didn't fall in the same fate.

LET'S IGNORE THE COMFY SEATS AND RUN FOR OUR LIVES!

OK, this feels like a perfect retribution for "Chase into Space", the Rangers back and kicking some Pirhanatrons with the new powers they gained after that former massive loss while saving friends.

Lightning Cruiser, no I don't hate Red...things happened and an Alien took my color so...

Pirhanatrons never learn: you ride on a hood, you get treated like a bug on a windshield.

Everybody off!

Funny that when Justin says that line, it's more apologetic and not as annoying as Urkel.

Andros: Never liked these Aquatian knock-offs.

Well we saved the day...and Justin's still in his jammies.

I miss you guys...just you guys, not the first team.

Andros: Really...a kid Ranger? That's lame.

"Once a Ranger, Always a Ranger". Words to live by.

Yeah it's great to save the sentient cars but dad still is going to miss me...and hey, maybe he'll finish up early.

I'm always here...even if you never need me again. (dang, why am I being teary-eyed about Justin?)

Well there he goes...back home...never to be seen again...dad better let Justin get a real license to drive Storm Blaster legaly on Earth when he's 16.

Carlos: There goes one good soccer player...well Nico was better but he learned.

Mr. Stewart: Now what job do I have to do this week...dang keys.

Hmm..fishing...do I fish?

Hey Justin, I have an idea...are you still up there, you hadn't said a peep since that weird honking.

Well back to bed...really I should sleep all day after that long night.

Fishing? No clue how to do it but sounds like fun.

I just remembered: my job has a union! Screw the boss, we're fishing!

And thus happily ever after for Justin: he got his car buddy back, he met his old friends, and now he gets to learn Spade Arts without becoming a cyborg!

Credits: Cassie, you can't quit now. We need you this season...and maybe next season if willing and the need arises.

Thoughts: This season just has the feels for characters you didn't even know you had the feels for, and that's even for something you didn't expect! Justin was a character that really grew on me despite the mess that brought him into and out of the show and just felt like part of the Turbo squad once "Passing the Torch" changed things up and he jelled with the second team. So to have him back for his final appearance in a technical Space/Turbo crossover was just a lot of fun and brought closure to a lot of things that last season ended with, including the fates of Lightning Cruiser and Storm Blaster and the relations between Justin and his dad. The whole situation with the lion monster was lame (and Astronema wanting to have her own Storm Blaster felt petty like she wanted to be worse than Divatox), but it was just great seeing Blue Turbo Ranger back fighting with the others and I really thought his working with TJ over the others felt appropriate with him his former leader. (sort of wish it was a bit more with Carlos since he jelled more with Carlos than TJ but it worked) And the ending with his dad finally putting time for his son over his work really completed both of their character arcs. Despite the turmoil that made Justin a Power Ranger in the first place, I'm just so happy it ended in such a way that made him memorable to the franchise...or at least memorable in his ending.
Old January 13th, 2018, 11:46 AM #2686
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

When did Ashley ever date Adam? I know Adam coached soccer but he never hung out with the cheerleaders, just Justin...and Carlos...and Tommy...wait, was Adam in the closet all this time?
In real life. And there were a couple of incidents between them.

DAGOBAH!? So...is this before or after Luke went there? And will they meet Frank Oz? Probably not but one could think.
Probably way after Luke left there. It was a long time ago.

TENGAS!? So...either Fred's getting a cold one or they really are just hired help that the whole galaxy can use.
Maybe they went on strike, didn't like the mortality rate for their job.

Nope, its random elf/Asian stereotype. Didn't think Darkonda was into that but...eh, whatever floats his boat.
Cassie: Cosplay time!

Oh...strength potion...I'd say it's something more illegal but...kids show.
I mean, Rita did dose Fred with a love potion... think of the implications of that one.

Oh so that's what Andros is doing. Once again it must be said...WOO-TEE-DEE!
Hey, this droid's defective.

So they're from Eltar...nice to see the backhistory of the battle of Eltar, but why didn't Zordon...oh, reveal them to the five previous Ranger teams? (unless those belong to the Robo Rangers)
All it means is Zordon has a plan for everything. What those plans are, who knows.

Onyx Juice specials...considering Ernie, I somehow wouldn't be surprised if these were actually NON-ALCOHOLIC
Unless this is where Ernie escaped to. Then again, the drinks might still technically be non-alcoholic in that case.

There was this girl...no I'm not that disgusting...or am I?
We'll never know what is up with those alien cultures.

You don't often see sword fights in wild west taverns...but I guess it's still better than random laser effects.
Refreshingly anachronistic

Seriously the Pirhanatron wants a ride. GIVE THE PIRHANATRON A RIDE!
Those freeloaders have always been trying to steal rides last season.

Yep, random weird stuff that makes no sense. That's Zordon's signature alright.
Yep.

How is this super strength? You keep using speed and electric discharges?
It takes a lot of strength to push oneself that quickly and to move all those electrons?

I need to see what video games Elgar was just playing. Probably the Carranger game from SNES.
"I don't get it, they reversed the good guys and the bad guys. And what's this 'chiikyu' they keep mentioning?"

Really they just make statements and back them up with their own manipulation of scenarios. Like a typical politician.
Or, in some cases, atypical politicians.

Lose the Megazord? Eh, you lost two already last season, what's another one?
They can't just keep losing Megazords. Their leases aren't up... on the stock footage.

Wait...we went back into the past? Yeesh, did Keeper do this? (nah, he would have gone further back and screwed things up even worse)
To think, that all could be lost not due to some unsealed witch, or some fanfic writer , or some legion of robots, or some pirate diva, or some brat with high designs... but to the most evil force in the universe.

And now...it's Astro Delta Megazord...consistency...anybody?
Consistency? *checks season 1* Nah.

Wait, the Rangers are leaving and heading into space? Didn't we get this plotline over 16 episodes ago? (and that Onyx guy is suddenly on the Dark Fortress...why? Is he still upset about the key cards?)
I guess that's technically one way to do a narrative echo.

He's trying to eat us. TIME TO MAKE FRIED CUTTLEFISH!
Mmm... fish and computer chips...

Yep, gibberish. This is definitely Power Rangers footage and not Megaranger.
What, no "Tighten Up Reality Gangster"?

Hmm...old style 70s computer...yep, that's it.
It's what? The controls for the Varikikyun?

Mega Vs. So what are regular "V"s like?
Find out in two years.

Cassie: What's this...a stereo? (starts playing cheesy Frankie Avalon music) What the heck was that Zordon thinking? (Zordon: What it was popular back then; not having any Rangers listening to that annoying surf music or British pop)
Stereo? What year is this, 2013?

TJ: Do you realize I actually had to learn to drive a flying car? Freeloader.
Those cars practically drive themselves.

ENOUGH WITH THE MEGA! WE GET IT!
But they've got to mega-promote the mega-ness!

Oh brother, anyone know where there's a nearby Enetron power? It was a thing in 1998 so they're bound to be nearby.
Still in its experimental stages. They'd have to make a short stop at Tokyo first.

DECA, STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR ENERY LEVELS AND DO SOMETHING!
If only the systems for checking and announcing energy levels didn't take up so much energy.

That was a kick, Andros. Nothing Mega about it.
Mega-kick?

Oh great, we need to really fix it up. Guess we're stuck on Earth for a while.
I'm surprised the six of them (yeah, including Alpha) have the resources to maintain such a big ship with all those features, or that Andros was able to do that even alone.

Yep back to the original plot: keep attacking Earth to distract the Rangers so they don't look for Zordon. Roger that.
It's always Earth. Even Kyuranger decided to make Earth important.

Wait...Lightning Cruiser and Storm Blaster? Eh, this is a pathetic end to those two.
It's not the end. This... is just the beginning!

It isn't the Turbo RAM but it still has a capable cannon on it's head.
The idiots didn't even think of trying to disable that?

They actually extended the opening and gave Astronema a proper introduction pic...wait who are the fat guy and skinny guy, are they still on this show?
Well sure, they're friends with that guest star. Always monkeying around.

I lost something important. His name is Elga...er, Storm Blaster.
Funnily, both also important to Justin.

TJ: Dang...now I match Storm Blaster's color and I can't drive it.
Sure you can, that other guy won't mind.

And...right towards Africa...meaning it should be in Angel Grove in three...two...
Africa? But Lerigot's long gone, and Aisha's up to whatever she's up to.

Stop? Hasn't anyone taught these villains about traffic safety?
Not since the Blue Senturion evacuated.

Oh hey Justin. New house? Heh, maybe he did leave Angel Grove.
Deadbeat dad finally delivers on his promises. The whole abandonment issues have been resolved.

They included "Little Strong Man" in the flashback? And nothing with that racecar driver egotistical Red or the other Black pre-Carlos he stole girls from?
Justin didn't know him as a Black Ranger... but yeah, stealing girls is okay as Tanya would've been upset with him otherwise. (Or would she?)

Enough looking at stars. Not like I can be an Ursa Minor Ranger or anything.
Nah, you'd be too old for that.

Dang, I wish I was a better father to him like TJ...and Carlos...and the Blue Senturion...and those other guys we can't really mention anymore...
If it's any comfort, Mr. Stewart, TJ and Carlos were more like brothers to him, and the Blue Senturion... didn't adapt those Ichitarou plots. Plus those other guys abandoned Justin as well.

So to go out in jammies or not go out in jammies...maybe there's an extra change of clothes in the trunk.
Change? Who needs to change, when this is his version of Peter Pan?

But seriously, Justin, at least get some real clothes on...maybe shoes...
Preferably platform shoes; how else would he reach the gas pedal or brakes?

Meanwhile, Rangers in chain bondage.
Fred: Ooh!

Yeah, running them over is probably a better option than fighting them directly.
That wasn't in the manual.

TJ: A BLUE RANGER!? BUT I'M THE BLUE...oh, Blue Turbo Ranger...I WANT TO BE RED AGAIN SUDDENLY AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!
You'll get your chance once more... but then you'll switch back years later.

Really, this makes me want to so see a Sentai or Power Ranger use a kusarigama for a hero.
Hmm, they've used so many weapons and that one may have slipped. I thought that Build DaiOh might've used something similar with its construction hook, but perhaps not.

This is just an awesome fight: not just the double blue but the whole TJ/Justin dynamic that really didn't seem to be too emphasized compared to Justin and Carlos. (plus...former leader...)
Yeah. Color coordination is a thing, but the fact that they had some type of relationship prior to the team-up helps, and since the emphasis is on the space cars they bonded over, it makes sense to bring this up here.

Nice to attack but really can't Justin join in somehow?
No stock footage? Cheap producer? Nah.

Look I'd join in now but our Megazords were destroyed by Goldgoyle so...
You've got a flying car, just ram it and fire! (Or not. Cheap producer.)

And...Pirhanatrons. I guess after losing Storm Blaster, the chains were to make extra secure Lighting Cruiser didn't fall in the same fate.
Can't ignore the loose ends.

OK, this feels like a perfect retribution for "Chase into Space", the Rangers back and kicking some Pirhanatrons with the new powers they gained after that former massive loss while saving friends.
Yeah, it works as an epilogue for that plot, the thrashing and the loss of everything. The Space Rangers have gained ground elsewhere, but now everyone can move on.

Well we saved the day...and Justin's still in his jammies.
If that gets the job done, then sure.

I miss you guys...just you guys, not the first team.
He's already gotten over them.

Andros: Really...a kid Ranger? That's lame.
Pssh, if you've been a kid ranger, you could've saved your sister.

"Once a Ranger, Always a Ranger". Words to live by.
And words to ensure that we'll never see you again. That's how it always happens.

Hey Justin, I have an idea...are you still up there, you hadn't said a peep since that weird honking.
Why so tired? You look like you've been fighting monsters.

And thus happily ever after for Justin: he got his car buddy back, he met his old friends, and now he gets to learn Spade Arts without becoming a cyborg!
Perfect resolution after all his troubles the previous year. Hope he lives a rather normal life.
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:10 AM #2687
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

In real life. And there were a couple of incidents between them.
Didn't know that. Maybe that's why Ashley became a Ranger in the end.

Cassie: Cosplay time!
Extendo-sword or no extendo-sword, I don't see Cassie as that desperate.

What, no "Tighten Up Reality Gangster"?
That's Engrish. Engrish is legit. Gibberish isn't. (and don't get me started on ferret gibberish)

Stereo? What year is this, 2013?
It's an unwritten law: all Zordon-based mecha have a stereo in the pink compartment. And since this is the last Zordon season and Zordon's last major Zord group, I had to make the callback.

Still in its experimental stages. They'd have to make a short stop at Tokyo first.
It wasn't that experimental. Heck, the flashback in Go-Busters 8 showed Megazords building Enetron towers in 1999 at least, before the accident. So at least they had Enetron somewhat usable. (at least it wasn't Hightron or Lambda 2000)

You'll get your chance once more... but then you'll switch back years later.
At least TJ's accepting of both his identities (like Tommy being...Tommy). By comparison, Adam probably wants to forget he was Zeo Ranger IV and the Green Turbo Ranger despite Walter Jones coming to terms with being the same Black suit.

Perfect resolution after all his troubles the previous year. Hope he lives a rather normal life.
Considering every other Ranger prior to him (and the fact none of the others have this weird transitional thing ever again), I think Justin has the best ending of them all.

-----

Tokyo Mew Mew: Ep. 3: Ghost Story from School: Finding the Ghost's true identity ~Nya!

Earth to Minto: cats hate leashes.

Ichigo hasn't had things easy since she became a Mew Mew heroine; it isn't just fighting the alien invaders to Earth, but putting up with the likes of her two rich patreons and now in particular Minto, who more or less treat her like she's the only member of the team that does anything while they do nothing else of noteriety. For someone like Ichigo who thinks she's supposed to be part of a team, it really is something she really isn't getting behind if she's supposed to be this great heroine that's a part of a team and no one wants to make it an actual team. Of course there are moments where having teammates actually does come in handy, such as skirting away annoying girls in the Cafe...or when an actual mission comes along that requires Mew Mew intervention. In this case, another junior high school that has sightings of a strange ghost that appears to have the ability to control water and haunts people by attacking them with the pool or with the school fountains. Ichigo and Minto do end up investigating expecting a Chimaera Anima. Instead they find...the third Mew Mew heroine. In this case, said heroine is Letatsu Morikawa, a shy meganekko who for some reason becomes some...aquamancer (they don't say what she is supposed to be considering they did instantly with Ichigo and Minto, but we do find out later she is an aquatic creature) who just can't stand those around her who belittle her and treat her badly and thus uses her new powers (which she somehow awakened on her own...without Masha's help or the bishonen) to keep them away. Of course, Ichigo met Letatsu earlier in the cafe and sort of holds some sympathy with her, deciding to help her by...um, using her finisher to "destroy her shy self". It really didn't make any sense and I get the idea what they were going to do with that and it was unconventional but it just gives me more questions than answers about how the heck Letatsu got the power and how she was able to awaken it without the same means as Ichigo or Minto. But of course more important to Ichigo: her first kiss was stolen...by one of the alien invaders: a pointy-eared guy by the name of Quiche. (at least it prevents Aoyama from having it)

Tokyo Mew Mew: Ep. 4: A Tearful Date the secret I can't tell Aoyama-kun ~Nya!

Look I know Beethoven was grumpy, but evil? Nah.

Quiche stealing Ichigo's first kiss, especially with how obsessed she is in making sure that Aoyama was the first one who took it, is something she just seems to be a bit too overly-concerned about. Obviously considering her whole "Aoyama is my one and only" obsession, having some random pointy-eared alien who wants to destroy her world and all species upon it steal it just isn't something she is going to take without overstressing herself and everyone around her about it. It isn't helped that Aoyama still likes her and invites Ichigo to an amusement park for another meet-and-greet with animals, one that goes well until...well, Quiche shows up. He torments her telling Ichigo "I like you but I have to destroy you anyway" and just gives a parting gift of another Chimaera Anima she and the other Mews (who show up later...and still no Lettuce TF...why?) have to deal with. Ultimately of course it's a weird thing that we have to obsess so much with Ichigo's love life amidst fighting against an alien invasion, but that's what we got; and it isn't helped that Aoyama's so bland and of course yells at Ichigo for running away after all that happened while she now has to live a double life...well triple if you inclue the maid cafe, but of course they aren't just going to spoil things for Ichigo...well that quickly...outside the little things she ends up fretting about anyway.

------

Kamen Rider Gaim: Ep. 3: Shock! The Rival's Banana Transformation!?

Orange you glad Kouta isn't a banana? (had to be done)

Kouta was supposed to be the guy who was learning to grow up after putting away his childhood desires of being Team Gaim's go-to man and be a responsible person in the world. Sadly with Yuuya's dissapearance and his usage as Armored Rider Gaim in the Inves Game, he's reverted: he's quit his jobs, rejoined Team Gaim and even found his old sweatshirt...which for some reason has a samurai just like Gaim on it as if it was destiny (or an amazingly ridiculous coincidence). Kouta's decisions regarding his current actions are not necessarily going down well with quite a few people that he knows though. Firstly is his sister: seeing the money Kouta is making trouncing Inves for fun, she wants nothing to do with this and tells him "keep your money, I rather work helping people out for a living and not just fighting things". Obviousy she doesn't know much about professional gamers, but considering that Kouta chose the easy way instead of the hard way, it's obvious why she's upset by what he's suddenly doing. On the other hand are those who really aren't a fan of Kouta's sudden fame and the sudden fortune and noteriety that has been brought to Team Gaim. On one end there is Micchy, who hasn't been focused much but who seems to be Kouta's friend and who at least feels like he can be himself in Team Gaim instead of this high schooler prepping for the world. He seems to have his own issues, namely regarding hiding his feelings for Mai while in Team Gaim, and it isn't helped that with Kouta being so popular now that she's ignoring him. And then there's Kaito: he's noticed that instead of using Gaim as a means of dominating those around him, Kouta's just kept protecting Team Gaim's main stage and not gone out invading other territory: that he's using his power to just allow for protection and not for greater conquest. Unfortunately, Kaito decides to rectify that when Sid ends up giving him his own Sengoku Belt (probably at Yggdrasil's request) to give him another Rider form: the banana themed Armored Rider Baron. And with it now being Rider vs. Rider, there are now new rules...like using Bikes to break into the mysterious forest ala Ryuki's mirror world, which could make some sense to keep violence out of the human world, but unfortunately just feels like it's disturbing the ecosystem of the forest that created these powers (then again as we've seen, Yggdrassil's doing that on their own and don't need their help). And amidst it all, Kaito keeps preaching about his desire for strength and his own path, even declining the words of the mysterious girl saying "he'll make his own way". It's a strong move to show he isn't going to take help...but considering Kaito's own philosophies, I'm not sure this is really the right or smartest of moves.

Kamen Rider Gaim: Ep. 4: Birth! The Third Rider is Grapes!

Something tells me that Yggdrasil's credit line has high interest rates outside family.

The first three episodes have had Kouta sort of just trying to gain some semblence of maturing only to basically throw it away and ignore it due to becoming Gaim and thus a star of the Inves Games. Of course now is the perfect time that he falls right back down to Earth, in this case due to the mystery Rider Takatora, the white melon-themed Rider who has been working at Yggdrasil's main research guide and gathering up much of the information and Lockseeds of the forest for the company. Whether or not intentional on Sid's part, the encounter sort of just shows the differences in philosophy between Kouta and Takatora: the former needs a reason to fight but the latter just fights, even if just to protect himself and his territory. The melon Rider crushes Kouta thus making him regret taking the belt in the first place and not knowing what he got himself into with this. It's a bit weak he sort of ends up in this state so early on (though Urobuchi does like screwing with his main characters a lot) but it sort of was a harsh but important lesson for him: that the kids stuff he's been using the Gaim powers for aren't the real intent of this power and that there are opponents that will crush him if he's not careful in using it right. At the same time, Kaito ends up using the forest to his own advantage, stealing Lockseed fruits for potential usage, including a new Lockseed for himself (a mango) but ones to possibly improve the situation for other teams, particularly with his current strategy for power being "manipulate other teams to crush Team Gaim for him", using Hase from Team Raid Wild and Jounouichi (a dandy from Team Invitto) as his new minions.

With Kouta sulking, Micchi ends up realizing he has to step up. Unfortunately Kouta got Team Gaim into this situation and if he isn't going to use a belt to stand up to those that may attack, he'll have to do so likewise. Of course Micchi has his own desires at stake here: as mentioned, he's the brother of Takatora and thus potentially may work for Yggdrasil himself someday, thus he needs to prove his own power...and at the same time he has this obsession not just with the team but with Mai, wanting to protect the team to protect her. Literally blackmailing Sid with his own desires of power and telling him that "sometimes the lesser known danger may be the worse one in the future", he gets his hands on his own Sengoku Belt and gains the grape-themed Rider power, which ends up being named "Ryugen". Obviously Micchi has his heart in the right place but shows a sense of ruthlessness that isn't going to make him friends. And of course when Kouta sees that Micchi is willing to fight his battles for him due to being a coward, that isn't going to make things easier for either of them considering what Kouta himself made Micchi sort of do for the team's success!
Old January 14th, 2018, 12:00 PM #2688
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

If there's one flaw Kouta has demonstrated, it's that he does not have a long-term vision. He hasn't maintained a long-term job, and while prize money from Inves games might be profitable for now, it isn't steady income especially as other Armored Riders are coming into the game and as the current ones gain more Lockseeds. Mitsuzane and Kaito have shown their own ambitions, their schemes for gaining power despite the dangers of venturing into the unknown, and that gives Kouta something to keep up with.

And even with all these kids playing around, and new ones like Hase and Jounouchi entering the fray, they're all ignorant of what's really at play, though some will discover what's what at their own paces. Melon Rider is a prime representation of that, and Takatora's fighting for something much greater, something none of the kids realize. While this isn't exactly Ryuki's death game, it is analogous as to how they're getting involved without realizing what they're dealing with - or perhaps, even with some inkling of what may be at stake (after all, Mitsuzane's words can be interpreted ominously).
Old January 14th, 2018, 04:06 PM #2689
> hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

Kamen Rider Gaim: Ep. 3: Shock! The Rival's Banana Transformation!?

Orange you glad Kouta isn't a banana? (had to be done)
I'll be more glad when you never do that again.

Sadly with Yuuya's dissapearance and his usage as Armored Rider Gaim in the Inves Game, he's reverted: he's quit his jobs, rejoined Team Gaim and even found his old sweatshirt...which for some reason has a samurai just like Gaim on it as if it was destiny (or an amazingly ridiculous coincidence).
It's Japan, I assumed samurai were on everything.

Obviousy she doesn't know much about professional gamers, but considering that Kouta chose the easy way instead of the hard way, it's obvious why she's upset by what he's suddenly doing.
It's not just easy, it's detrimental. His gains are someone else's losses, which isn't the case for e-sports.

Kaito keeps preaching about his desire for strength and his own path, even declining the words of the mysterious girl saying "he'll make his own way". It's a strong move to show he isn't going to take help...but considering Kaito's own philosophies, I'm not sure this is really the right or smartest of moves.
Kaito even admitted he wasn't smart, just determined.

Kamen Rider Gaim: Ep. 4: Birth! The Third Rider is Grapes!

The melon Rider crushes Kouta thus making him regret taking the belt in the first place and not knowing what he got himself into with this. It's a bit weak he sort of ends up in this state so early on (though Urobuchi does like screwing with his main characters a lot) but it sort of was a harsh but important lesson for him: that the kids stuff he's been using the Gaim powers for aren't the real intent of this power and that there are opponents that will crush him if he's not careful in using it right.
I agree, he should have been more frustrated than shellshocked, though it was probably just holding back for the target audience and Kouta should have been near dead, which would scare the living hell out of anyone.

Kaito ends up using the forest to his own advantage, stealing Lockseed fruits for potential usage, including a new Lockseed for himself (a mango) but ones to possibly improve the situation for other teams, particularly with his current strategy for power being "manipulate other teams to crush Team Gaim for him", using Hase from Team Raid Wild and Jounouichi (a dandy from Team Invitto) as his new minions.
Which is why I loved Kaito, he played the game better than anyone.

Obviously Micchi has his heart in the right place but shows a sense of ruthlessness that isn't going to make him friends.
Yet all of his friends stuck with him until the end, go figure.
hasbro_primo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 07:38 PM #2690
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

If there's one flaw Kouta has demonstrated, it's that he does not have a long-term vision. He hasn't maintained a long-term job, and while prize money from Inves games might be profitable for now, it isn't steady income especially as other Armored Riders are coming into the game and as the current ones gain more Lockseeds.
It's a big problem I find: Kouta's supposed to be "the responsible one" and the opening episodes set him up as trying to grow out of this period of the Beat Riders...and while I get why he wants to rejoin (regain Team Gaim's reputation and Yuuya's disappearance), sacrificing a means of maturity for this sake just makes him look immature, more or less riding on a fad for his means instead of something much more steady and actually mature.

Ankh Primo wrote: View Post

I'll be more glad when you never do that again.
I had to do it once. It's done so won't do it again.

Which is why I loved Kaito, he played the game better than anyone.
Kaito's just someone who evolves with the times for the sake of his interpretation of power. If he wants Team Baron to look stronger, then using other teams to fight for him sort of makes him look more like a "lord" than merely just the leader of a bunch of dancers.

-----

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters: Mission 9: Usada Rescue Strategy

I'm still confused as to how the heck EMC got into confectionary productions...this isn't a Cure season, you know!

The relationshp between the Busters and the Buddyroids are some of the closest that exist between Rangers and assisting characters, considering that these robots are key to helping manage the means the team utilize to fight against Vaglass and protect Enetron. Unfortunately they go through their negative points at times, such as Usada getting critical of Yoko not really learning anything that could help her and the tutoring that Hiromu and Ryuji offering being insufficient compared to him, leading to them arguing and the rabbit Buddyroid arrogantly running off to do an Enetron transport mission on his own. This leads to a calamity when he's abducted by a couple crooks who take him to gain a payday of Enetron...but it gets worse due to Enter discovering this criminal behavior and using it for his own purposes of...um, getting still more Enetron (though in his case, it's to allow for faster development of the new Vaglass Megazords to counter the "Beet" model mecha that is coming in the near future from EMC). While the early going of the episode with Usada as a hostage isn't that good, it actually gets tense once Enter gets involved, leading to just a good usage of strategy and deception on all sides: the two "control panel workers" Miho and Tooru assist in disguising themselves to sort of divert Enter's attention from Yoko working to save Usada even with Hiromu there to try and make it an obvious trap and thus further lower his guard with suspicion. It isn't helped that Enter remains wily, actually having previously planted two Bugzords with the Drillzord from last time to try and force the Busters to get to them and thus with Nick and Gorisaki handling them...and even a funny final countdown where Enter just tries to force Usada to blow when he realizes he's been tricked only for Hiromu and Ryuji to save him despite a desparate attempt by Yoko to save him to attract sympathy. It really turns into a big failure on Enter's side...though it still isn't enough to maybe make Yoko study better so the heroes aren't out of the clear either way.

-----

Happiness Charge PreCure: Ep. 9: Let's Do Karate!! The Pretty Cure Power Up!?

Nah, not in the mood for rice; I'm so full with Honey Candy that I can't eat another bite.

After the incident with Cure Fortune last time, Megumi and Hime realize they have to improve their own fighting strategy in order to face down the Phantom Kingdom, particularly now with Oressky trying to shape up the efforts of Namakeilder and Hosshiwa to his own arrogant standards. While their own abilities in physical training go nowhere (it reminds me a bit of the infamous bit in Azumanga Daioh where the over-enthusiastic Tomo sprints out at the start of a marathon only to be utterly exhausted part-way through and coming in last), they decide to join up at a karate dojo Seiji goes to that is also run by Iona's grandfather. The whole lesson of the situation is basically to learn the basics, sort of reminding me a bit of a similar situation in Heartcatch where Tsubomi and Erika try to do similar, though of course here it sort of comes in handy...but only sort-of since usually Cures end up being rather skillful in combat to a point that really training in this way is just a one-episode novelty. Obviously with Oressky still tormenting them, Lovely and Princess have about as difficult a time as you'd think even with the training and find themselves at wits end, with Cure Fortune nowhere to be found to save them this time around.

And that's when...it happens. A beautiful song emitted by a yellow-themed Cure echos through the area (about...happy rice...yeah...) and more or less suspends all attacks. It is just one of the most unintentionally hilarious sequences I've seen in the franchise: a moment that is supposed to introduce this badass and important new Cure character, yet in this case basically is just a laughingstock in that all action and all events in the episode are suspended for this one song and it stuns the Saiark and all opponents and allies until said Cure, Cure Honey, leaves. The situation sort of gives Megumi and Hime both hunger...and the idea that there are different means of strength and that what one person uses to get stronger isn't necessarily something everyone should use. As for who Cure Honey is...well, considering there's only one girl we know of in Pikarigaoka that serves "rice" and "honey candy"...yeah, I think it's that thick lipped girl Rei too.

-----

And now it's time for the third watch of the weekdays, one that I actually say will take an entire year to get through. I did poll about this and this is what won so...prepare yourself for weird genderbending (and animal alteration) action comedy from the late 80s and early 90s in probably one of the most notable anime of the era...

Ranma 1/2 Watch: The Mission Statement:

This watch is sort of something that really takes me back, both in a good and bad way, to the period of Japanese animation that I emerged from when I first got into Japanese culture, the mid-1990s. At the time, before literally everything came over or was streamed in some form, the anime world was basically split into two: the stuff that was able to get onto television in some syndicated package (ala Voltron or Speed Racer) and the stuff hidden away in good comic book stores or video stores. The latter seemed to have the type of anime that usually ended up being the stuff the genre was more known for at the time: more liberal sexual standards, higher bouts of violence, and all sorts of weird concepts and ideas, really not fully showing everything but just sort of what the anime suppliers thought the audience wanted. (as an example, one of the few "Weekly Shonen Jump" anime that somehow did make it to America around the time or before Dragon Ball Z...was BAOH, the OVA known as one of the works of Hirohiko Araki prior to his massive "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" franchise and notable for just the supremely ultra-violent deaths that it had within it) And of this latter, one of the big and "mainstream" for those on that side of the equation...was Ranma 1/2. The series was the crown jewel of Viz in the early days, one of their first really big acquisitions and something that still had relevance in this period of time. While not the first Rumiko Takahashi-based property I had ever encountered (I was amazingly lucky to discover "Urusei Yatsura" first...a series I want to do a full watch of as well if I can, though I have seen all 195 episodes and three of the movies, but not the latter three or the OVAs but a review cycle would give me an excuse to rewatch it), it was the "mainstream one", the series that everyone knew about on this side of the equation. Back in that period of the late 90s and early 00s, through high school and a bit of college, I was actually into Ranma, even with the super-slow releases of both the anime and the manga in the US and it just gave me good times. However, I eventually stopped with both in the end: the VHS releases had been too slow and the show was getting a tad ridiculous anyway, while I stuck with the manga until I got to the volume introducing the infamous "Pantyhose Taro"; the arc wasn't bad but a lot of similar problems were emerging in my head about it and I just didn't find it worthwhile to continue. From what I had heard, the manga did have some interesting elements later on but the end really didn't resolve anything, and the same probably can be said with the anime.

However, with the poll choosing me to go back and watch Ranma 1/2 proper from start to finish, it's time for me to look at it with fresh eyes. I only saw three seasons of the anime even if I know a little bit of what happens later in the manga, and I finally have the chance to see whether or not anything I missed out on was worthwhile, while seeing what exactly did happen in the series alongside what the manga did. i know quite a bit of the early parts of the series and know there are some infamous elements changed in the anime from the manga (one of which sort of ruined one of my favorite arcs of the manga which was pretty early on), but we shall see what exactly is going on and maybe if I can make sense of things and see if the franchise was worthwhile in the end. So with that said, let's get started:

-----

Ranma 1/2: Ep. 1 (Original Series Ep. 1): The Strange Stranger From China

Something tells me that Akane's suffering from "Shinobu Miyake" syndrome so it isn't like she needs some guy to protect her life.

Ranma Saotome is a martial artist who is trying to refine his craft, training with his father Genma in hopes of trying to be the ultimate kenpo master. Unfortunately, his dad is a bit of an idiot when it comes to finding a good place for training them, deciding to take them to a battlefield hidden away in China filled with special cursed springs, where one dip will forever curse you with the ability to become whatever died in there when touched by cold water...and only hot water can turn you back (and which he didn't know of said curses due to not knowing a word of Chinese)! Genma quickly becomes cursed to become a panda, while the obvious powerful male Ranma...becomes the buxom redhead female due to a dip in a "Cursed of Drown Girl" that more or less leads to the title of the series. And let's make matters worse: Genma decided prior to this trip that he was going to marry Ranma off, sending word to an old training partner, Soun Tendo, that they would be showing up for him to choose a female partner after their little China excursion, thus they become the first to discover the madness of having a panda and a girl as your new friends and partners which you have to marry one of your daughters off to. In the end, it ends up being Akane, the youngest of the three Tendo sisters, who ends up stuck with Ranma...which of course leads to obvious comedic antics which will take up the next 161 episodes. It isn't helped that Ranma ends up meeting Akane at the start as a girl and the two get it off rather well...but the moment the truth is revealed and everyone starts seeing everyone else naked, then the violence starts and tables start flying, let alone the splashing of water as it gets rather tough to keep track of who is what and when for Ranma and Genma and their new conditions. Obviously the instant trust becomes instant hatred because "you're a guy and I hate guys" that Akane ends up having, which of course just makes having two men living in their home now all the more awkward.

Obviously this is the story that begins the entire Ranma saga and it's rather comedic though with it's weird elements thrown in as well. We get a quick introduction of the Saotome and the Tendo families that are going to be together for the entire series living under the roof of the Tendo Dojo and establish a lot of the key elements of the series, most notably the curses and Ranma and Akane's relationship. Its rather obvious from the get-go that the whole franchise is to more or less make Ranma and Akane fall in love and be together, with of course the intiial hatred and mistrust; but I do find it interesting (especially now I'm watching the original Japanese version and not the dub) that there is a bit of trust Akane has in Ranma as a girl before finding out the truth. She's the only one willing to take in the new arrival and test her out as a kenpo artist..maybe even befriend her...before the truth is revealed in the bathtub and we get the comedic antics to make them hate each other. I like the other characters as they're quickly introduced with a little bit of the basics learned; as well as the basics of the Jusenkyo curses Ranma and Genma are stuck with...even if really there are probably other training grounds as infamous in China without the whole "body-switching curses" these two end up with.

A few more thoughts with the opening episode:

-This is literally the first time I've seen Ranma in Japanese and not the original Viz dub so it's great hearing the original voice actors of the characters. Probably the most surprising is male Ranma, who sounds rather mature and manly...except his voice actor is Kappei Yamaguchi. And whenever I hear Kappei Yamaguchi, I hear Ussop...or Ticket...or Flappy...super-scratchy voiced characters that just sound nothing at all like Ranma, which makes him as this Ranma all the more surprising. (the funny thing: male Ranma is his very first major role in anime ever, which means it takes time before the typical Yamaguchi emerges). Female Ranma is Megumi Hayashibara, probably THE anime VA of the 90s and it's still rather early in her anime career as well. Genma is Kenichi Ogata, whom I only note is a VA for King DeDeDe in the Kirby anime; while Soun is Ryuusuke Obayashi, who has done a lot of minor roles here and there and this probably one of his few significant I can find. (outside Captain Goto of Patlabor) Akane is Noriko Hidaka; she's more well known for the anime version of the manga "Touch" and mostly done boy roles otherwise (such as Near in "Death Note"...then again I just realized that Kappei Yamaguchi also played "L" so...Ranma and Akane partnership stopped Kira!?); Kasumi is Kikuko Inoue (who is known for motherly roles alongside Kasumi...like Belldandy from "Ah! Megami-sama"); and Nabiki is Minami Takeyama, most notable as Edogawa Conan from "Great Detective Conan".

-The first series supervisor is Yoshio Urasawa, who was at the time working on his own manga "Yawara!" but is more notable these days for series like "Monster" and "20th Century Boys"...a bit later on, our old buddy Toshiki Inoue takes over as supervisor but this is only through the original series, not "Nettouhen" later on.

-And as catchy as the original Ranma anime opening is, it's also notable for introducing things that the original anime doesn't quite get to...like Cologne...or the Martial Arts Figure Skaters...

Last edited by Ataruman; January 15th, 2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old January 15th, 2018, 09:33 PM #2691
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

The episode is a good lesson in partnership, of how much they value each other and how that's emphasized in each other's absence. Definitely a lesson that's been written before, but this context adds a level of intensity to it, especially with the EMC's forces being split up like that. It's still a good use of their tactics and Yoko's jumping powers.
Old January 16th, 2018, 07:25 PM #2692
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Just sort of wish the idiot thieves at the start weren't around considering they felt like plot devices for Enter's abduction.

-----

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters: Mission 10: A Reason to Fight

I get speeding up but how much does that attachment Hiromu summoned weigh in response?

One of the lingering concerns regarding Hiromu becoming a Go-Buster is that of his sister Rika: she was never really on the side of her brother being turned into a warrior to stop the Vaglass despite everything that happened; at the same time we also find out she wasn't a technology person even 13 years ago and was her fear of technology that prevented her from going that Christmas to the lab and not get caught up in becoming a Go-Buster herself. However, when Rika shows up in town to display an art exhibition, Hiromu seems to potentially have the chance to finally meet with her again...except that there's an important mission that has to be done and Hiromu doesn't seem like he has the means to try and explain things. In this case, Enter has released a diversionary tactic of Buglars to keep the Busters busy while he stealing an element known as Deltanium 39; an element known to construct Megazord cores; then sets up an entire strategy of multiple diversions, including trapped humans and a Metaroid while setting up a Gamma-level Megazord to send the Deltanium to Hyperspace With all this going on, it's obvious why Hiromu just can't visit with his sister; but he still ends up sending Nick in his place...which he worries about because of her continued hatred of machines and the factor that they were never comfortable around each other even back when Hiromu was forced to keep Nick around him growing up. In the end, Nick is finally able to convince Rika that Hiromu chose this path and it wasn't just something he's forced to do, which really I think is a rerun of what he tried to tell Rika this time around but with this time around done with a bit of a demonstration: Hiromu wants to do this so that families don't get separated again like they were during the Messiah incident. We get an impressive battle and in the end she finally seems to come to and decides to entrust Nick and Hiromu's mission together...all while finally seeming to accept that the Buddyroid was part of the family. (without her meeting with Hiromu...sort of giving me vibes fo what happened to GaoWhite and her dad in that way) Yet even with this one small victory, Enter still succeeds in getting the Deltanium; with each step bringing him closer to potentially a new wave of more powerful Megazords that the team may not be able to handle without "Beet".

-----

Happiness Charge PreCure: Ep. 10: The Singing Pretty Cure! Cure Honey Appears!!

Seriously, will we ever get a full version of Hosshiwa's song? It's way more entertaining than Cure Honey's.

Cure Honey's song about "happiness rice" has basically become the earworm of the town: once you hear it, you can't stop thinking about it. It isn't helped that the first Cure Honey fight ended up on TV and now everyone wants to sing it, even the Chorus Club! It sort of disturbs the head of the club, who thinks that they're not going to win a competiton singing that stupid song made up by a random Cure despite their protests of "you're being a fussbudget, let us sing what we want to for our competition". It really sort of just drives at the real stupidity both of the song and the episode in general: it's understandable you want to sing what you want, but there should be some element of discipline even in the chance of being "fun"; a competition can accept any song (heck, Futari had the ending theme for their "singing comeptition" episode but that was more for the comedy the first season was good at) but to just use some random song you just picked up that may be here today and gone tomorrow (let alone how bizarre it is...is anyone other than Hime listening to the lyrics of the dumb thing!?) really just sort of shows shallowness on the chorus club's side compared to the leader. Amazingly Hosshiwa decides to screw with everyone with a song of her own and we actually get a singing competition between her and Cure Honey, and it's sort of neat but leads to the obvious dumb conclusion (though I admit this really should have been Hosshiwa's look from the start; I don't mind the oujo curls but they don't work with that huge floppy hat she ends up wearing...plus with Aikatsu and the like, having an evil idol villainess would have been a fun way to get at what the audience wants at this point). Oh and in the midst of it all, we find out by the end that Cure Honey is...obviously...Yuko: yeah it was obvious considering she's the only one who seems to hang around rice all the time and has her honey candy she keeps peddling on everyone...so then why the heck did she wait 10 episodes to reveal herself considering she could have teamed with Hime sooner and thus made it easier for Megumi?

Oh and to those who don't think Hosshiwa has soul, I more consider her a hair band lead singer: someone who can have soul and be supremely loud-sounding...while Yuko is probably just your typical pop star who writes her own stuff and isn't that good but people get behind her. Maybe if Hosshiwa got into death metal or something while keeping the cute idol look...

-----

Ranma 1/2: Ep. 2 (Original Series Ep. 2): School is No Place for Horsing Around

I do sort of hope the Tendo have their bamboo stockpiled.

Ranma is not someone who happens to not like the situation that he's stuck in, becoming suddenly engaged to a girl that hates his guts and he finds as completely uncute like Akane. With too many other concerns (more or less involving getting back to Jusenkyo and curing his "girl" condition), having a fiance and even going to school with her isn't something he necessarily wants. But of course Akane has her own concerns, namely in that she has this hatred of men and that Ranma isn't the only male she isn't really a fan of. Thanks to the manipulations of one Tatewaki Kuno, the Blue Thunder of Furinkan High (voiced by Hirotaka Suzuoki, who notably is also Dragon Shiryu in Saint Seiya, Tienshinhan in Dragon Ball, and Giovanni in Pokemon...and who unfortunately passed in 2006), all of the boys of Furinkan High fight Akane day after day, with the idea that if one of them beats her, they can go on a date with her. This situation sort of shows that Akane's "beauty" is somehow seen by this squadron of lunkheads, something that obviously Ranma himself has zero interest in and that really just peeves Akane in not letting her have any peace in her morning (all while it doesn't affect anyone else, including her older sister Nabiki). Obviously when everyone else ends up defeated, only Kuno remains; and despite Akane defeating him day after day, he really is much more powerful than anyone gives him credit, probably due to him holding back due to it being...well, Akane. Obviosuly Nabiki decides to screw with things further by revealing the fiance situation and Kuno ends up fighting Ranma even more pissed off than he did at the gate of the school...right into a swimming pool. Really at this point considering Ranma's a girl, the only best option is simple: get out of the pool and hide before Kuno kills her...or at least hope he confuses female Ranma with someone else and thus ignore her. But unfortunately, things are going to get much more complicated...
Old January 16th, 2018, 08:26 PM #2693
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Ah Ranma. Remember the days when you'd see like a hundred of them, both boy and girl types, at anime conventions. Also Kappei Yamaguchi would later voice another character of Rumiko Takahashi's, Inuyasha.
Dragonwolf Ranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 08:53 PM #2694
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

While Rika has the same parents as Hiromu, her reaction is much different - she's basically moved on, while Hiromu is holding out hope that he can rescue them and the other EMC workers who were trapped. That he developed a sense of trying to protect others in the process might be his way of trying not to be simply stuck in the past, since the threat is very real in the present. They're taking different paths in life, but it doesn't mean they have to diverge.
Old January 17th, 2018, 06:47 AM #2695
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Dragonwolf Ranger wrote: View Post

Ah Ranma. Remember the days when you'd see like a hundred of them, both boy and girl types, at anime conventions. Also Kappei Yamaguchi would later voice another character of Rumiko Takahashi's, Inuyasha.
Don't Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha actually have more than a few voice actors in common (in both the Japanese and English versions no less)?

Also in regards to Ranma I don't think the anime ever actually finished adapting the manga's story. Don't remember the exact chapter it leaves off on but I believe it only got like halfway through before being canceled (and unlike Inuyasha it never got a second season to finish it off).

Last edited by Akiba Black; January 17th, 2018 at 08:45 AM.
Akiba Black is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 05:51 PM #2696
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

Don't Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha actually have more than a few voice actors in common (in both the Japanese and English versions no less)?
Don't know about the Japanese so much, but in English, the second boy-Ranma was Inuyasha, Shampoo is Kagome's mom, Kasumi is Kikyo, and Happosai is Myoga and Naraku. Never heard Mr. Cox's Ranma, but friends say they liked Sarah Strange more. Might've been more, but would need to look up.

Also in regards to Ranma I don't think the anime ever actually finished adapting the manga's story. Don't remember the exact chapter it leaves off on but I believe it only got like halfway through before being canceled (and unlike Inuyasha it never got a second season to finish it off).
Only saw first few seasons, but yeah, heard that's what happened. Something similar happened with Urusai Yatsura as well. Heck, before "Inuyasha: the Final Act", some guys joked that Ms. Takahashi's long-running works that become anime don't get fully done except Maisson Ikkoku.
Dragonwolf Ranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 06:55 PM #2697
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Actually looking it up, the Japanese version shares less actors in common then I thought. Noriko Hidaka (Kikyo) does play Akane though.
Akiba Black is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 07:33 PM #2698
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Sort of knew of Inu Yasha but...yeah, if you're of a certain era of anime and got beyond the TV stuff, you know of Ranma. Trust me on this.

While Rika has the same parents as Hiromu, her reaction is much different - she's basically moved on, while Hiromu is holding out hope that he can rescue them and the other EMC workers who were trapped. That he developed a sense of trying to protect others in the process might be his way of trying not to be simply stuck in the past, since the threat is very real in the present. They're taking different paths in life, but it doesn't mean they have to diverge.
I do find it neat that it's more about Rika's acceptance of Hiromu's path without really meeting with Hiromu. But she has her own life now and at least feels a tad more comfortable with Nick after all things.

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

Only saw first few seasons, but yeah, heard that's what happened. Something similar happened with Urusai Yatsura as well. Heck, before "Inuyasha: the Final Act", some guys joked that Ms. Takahashi's long-running works that become anime don't get fully done except Maisson Ikkoku.
Actually not true about UY: the fifth movie was an adaptation of the very last story arc that ended the manga, literally called "The Final Chapter". Surprisingly though I own the DVDs, I have never seen that movie...its why I wanted to do a UY run way before Ranma, but unfortunately that was nowhere close to successful in my polling. But yeah...unlike UY and IY, Ranma doesn't get to the arcs towards the end that finish the story...though from what I hear, it isn't much of an ending anyway.

-----

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters: Mission 11: The Targeted Weak Point

Maybe Gorisaki could keep those multi-colored buttons around for another Sentai squad...I say the Dairanger could use good work with them.

Gorisaki has been with Ryuji as long as Nick and Hiromu and Usada and Yoko, but his situation is much different due to major age elements. The Buddyroids seem to be better built to deal with raising kids like the other two: Ryuji was 15 when the attack by Messiah happened and thus was mostly mature and not really in need of a Buddyroid at this point in his life. Thus because of this, the relation between the two has become much more strained and difficult to take care of someone who doesn't need to be taken care of. But unfortunately with Ryuji having his own problems due to being a Go-buster, particularly with the most dangerous Weak Point of all, Gorisaki knows that if Ryuji isn't managed or taken care of, it's just going to get him in trouble. Such is the case when Enter specifically decides to make Ryuji the target of his latest attack, studying the strain that Ryuji puts on his body and figuring out that overheating is the means to activate said weakness that not only gives him temporary strength beyond his super-strength, but knocks him out at a time of need; all while Gorisaki develops a heat sensor to prevent Ryuji from going too far and thus making himself too hurt by something that's going to just end up making things worse. Ryuji turns the sensor off because it's more of a nuisance than an assistance despite Gorisaki's best intention, but in the end it is the gorilla who ends up coming to his aid for another reason: with a Megazord sent out that has already eliminated Yoko (despite being able to fly and hers being the only logical weapon against it), having Blue Buster overheat now would only end up hurting him and thus hurting the team; leading to the gorilla ultimately nearly sacrificing himself with his own body so that Ryuji can defeat a Metaroid without collapsing. It's a noble sacrifice, and really one that Ryuji yells at Gorisaki about but really was a matter of trying to complete the mission: his importance as a driver of the Buster Machines is just as important as defeating Enter's scheme and really that allowed for them to finally come to a better understanding of each other...now if only the gorilla can stop acting so much like a nursemaid to a 28 year old.

-----

Happiness Charge PreCure: Ep. 11: The Mysterious Message! Cure Honey's Secret!!

OK ignoring the stupidity of the whole situation, I just read up on Acadia Honey and...I want to try some.

Yuko is Cure Honey, that's the obvious thing going on. Not so obvious: why the heck didn't Yuko tell Megumi and Hime she was Cure Honey when she had all the time in the world? According to her and Blue, she actually became a Cure in a period really, really just before Megumi became Cure Lovely...so really, she could have shown up way, way sooner than she did prior to pulling the stunt of the last couple episodes and the madness of "happiness rice" was unleashed upon the world. Unfortunately Yuko decides to go roundabout regarding revealing the truth, forcing Megumi and Hime (and Seiji...who sort of figured it out sooner but wasn't too sure until Yuko confirmed it herself) to join them on a family farm where her grandparents grow rice...the rice used for the Oomori shop and all their meals. It basically then becomes the classic "Cures help out in nature to figure out how things grow" episode we've seen before, but of course more personal associated with the Oomori and thus Yuko. The first thing we find out is that since there's an element of "happiness" and "love" associated with all the girls who become Cures, Yuko's obviously is food: she seems to have this thing where people can get together and have a meal together while appreciating it, it really can bring peace to the world. It's appreciated I believe (it's sort of the same philosophy of the manga Toriko...once you get past the hulking men and ridiculous physics of that universe). And at the same time...well, because she barely became a Cure pre-Lovely, she never decided to use her powers after seeing Lovely and Princess in action and was too shy to figure out when to finally join up with them, thus more or less screwing around for 10 episodes (and the equivalent of over 100 days considering what we found out last week!) before Cure Honey finally made her debut. I get being shy but really...Yuko, you had tons of chances to join with them, why wait so long if you want to make it such a priority? And in other weird elements of the episode, sometime probably in said 100 days (since we never saw them do it on camera), they also gained one of Cure Honey's form change cards, for Popcorn Cheer! (though cheerleaders have little to do with ribbons, I more expect pom-poms...like that Cure Yell coming soon) It's another bizarre thought: considering all the cards Ribbon was making for Lovely and Princess to dress up in, when the heck did she have time to make a Popcorn Cheer card for a Cure who wasn't showing up until she decided to get over her shyness and join with Megumi and Hime!? I know Yuko was around for a lot of their fights prior to her reveal when she knowingly was a Cure and not revealing it, but when did Ribbon decide to suddenly make a key form change for someone they didn't even know of who was a Cure but not on their team yet!? (heck even if she did it once Cure Honey started to reveal herself it would have made sense...but it's just a huge plot hole)

-----

Ranma 1/2: Ep. 3 (Original Series Ep. 3): A Sudden Storm of Love...Wait, What!?

I think Genma just gave up after that second splash of the night and just decided to live as a panda. Probably for the better.

For being fight-obsessed and desiring to get Kuno off his and Akane's back, Ranma really has no sense of direction (then again luckily he isn't like a certain other character). Leaping from the third floor of the school is one thing, not realizing that a pool is beneath them is another. Obviously Ranma thinks she can just hope Kuno's out cold, she can swim away and get to some hot water before Kuno can come to...but this isn't that sort of sane franchise: somehow Kuno survives, chases after Ranma in the water, and then sees the "pigtailed girl" that he becomes (and accidentally touch her bust) which at least does give Ranma a slight opening. It doesn't get better when, still not transformed back, female Ranma (now the "tree-born kettle girl") defeats Kuno while Akane tries to give her some time! One thing I do admire about the opening episodes of the series that I think gets forgotten is the idea of Akane being a capable martial artist, both with the "100-boy battle" every day at school and the Kuno fights; considering this was in the mid/late 80s when Japan was still in the mood of "Hokuto no Ken" and not even "Dragon Ball" was that liberal about letting girls fight (though Toriyama did have Arale...but that was a gag manga at the same time Takahashi was doing "Urusei Yatsura" so...), having Akane (not Ranma, just Akane) being so skilled to deal with this and help out even with the mess of the whole marriage thing is actually rather cool to see...but of course the series is bogged down by said romance element, particularly with Akane not wanting Ranma's help in dealing with the male horde and of course Ranma continuing to consider Akane uncute despite the factor that she has these hordes of men fighting over her and Kuno leading the charge.

Of course there's still the matter of Kuno, who was basically easily defeated by female Ranma and doesn't show up during "the fight" the next day. With the help of Nabiki, Ranma gets a 'challenge' from Kuno and thus has to show up in the park thinking it's a showdown. Unfortunately...it's ultimately a confession: now Kuno's in love with the "pigtailed girl" side! As if this love story can't get anymore complicated...then again, this is still the beginning...
Old January 17th, 2018, 11:16 PM #2699
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Yeah, there's only a certain point to which the Buddyroids can act as substitute parents to the Busters, because parents just have to deal with their kids growing up. Ryuji may have needed some emotional support, now he needs mission support. Luckily whatever AI the Buddyroids have also is adaptive enough, something going directly to the theme of the sentience of computers.
Old January 18th, 2018, 07:32 PM #2700
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

It's the situation of having a foster parent to a 15 year old...though maybe Gorisaki and him can still be buddies.

-----

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters: Mission 12: Do You Like Cosplay?

So cawaii...doesn't anyone on the internet even know how to transliterate Japanese?

Yoko is a girl who has basically spent her entire life preparing for the battle with Vaglass, more or less being in training mode since she was 3 years old when the Messiah incident happened! Because of this and the loss of her mother at a young age, she really hasn't had any time to do anything but train for Vaglass and to just think of what else she wants to do with her life. This sort of becomes a plot point due to a girl who surprisingly looks a lot like her named Angie Sue: she's a big movie star coming to Japan from Hong Kong to support a new movie...but at the same time, is bringing a special set of earrings made of a precious mineral...that unfortunately is the last piece of data that Enter needs to build Vaglass' new Megazord. While the mission is obviously "protect the earrings and thus protect Angie Sue", the situation of having Angie and Yoko look so similar really ends up being a boon for the team in that they decide to switch out the two of them, with Yoko becoming Angie during an important press conference that happens to be the same time as a Megazord attack (it was hilarious that it was set up for four-and-a-half hours but Enter does his research) Through the situation, Yoko discovers how Angie wants to be an actress to honor the memory of her mother who happened to be an actress herself, and through this sort of gains a better appreciation for the movie star while at the same time sees that she does potentially have options available for her once she is done with her mission. Unfortunately in the midst of it all, Enter steals one of the earrings...they thought he wanted both but shockingly one was enough, which means with all the needed components, a new Megazord type may be coming in the near future and the EMC may need to be ready...

BTW: one neat thing about this episode: the trailer seemed to make it feel like it was going to be a similar one to the "two Saya" episode of Gingaman but it felt way more like a Dairanger episode with the Copy Empress, mainly due to Yoko's Chinagirl bit...surprisingly after this and Dekaranger, I sort of wish we got a real martial arts style toku of the sort without any real gimmicks in the fighting...yeah Gekiranger works but I mean something where at least they feel like they can fight even without the spandex or the seasonal gimmick.

-----

Happiness Charge PreCure: Ep. 12: Megumi's in a Pinch! The Pretty Cure Disqualification Crisis!!

Really the only reason they made Honey go Popcorn Cheer was knowing they needed a random cheerleader for the baseball match. That's all.

Megumi obviously seems to go by the typical standard of a good chunk of Cure girls in that she's a total idiot (see Nagisa and Nozomi at least). Making matters worse, she's got the worst grades in class, and she has to take a make-up test in order to keep with what she needs to do. But let's make it stupider because Happiness Charge tends to make things stupider: when Blue finds out Megumi's test scores are in the dumpster, he basically tells her "improve your grades or you can't ever be a Cure ever again". That is really the stupidest motivation ever: she's a girl chosen to save the world from the Phantom Empire, a duty that has nothing to do with how smart you are; merely passion and...um, love/happiness. To kick Megumi off because she's an idiot really just sort of defeats the idea that anyone, no matter who they are, can be a Cure if they believe in themselves and have the right personal qualifications; it basically just turns it into an elitist group. Yeah, I get what Blue is going after with this, but it really just feels rather random and out of nowhere and it sort of ends up being one of the reasons why there's a lot of element of "intellectual elitism" accusations by some people out there. But luckily for Megumi, she has friends in Hime (who aced English) and Yuko (who provides snacks...no that's all she does, provide snacks) who put it on themselves to improve Megumi's grades so that she doesn't get kicked off the team. At the same time, we also have a baseball player who needs to improve to stay on his team and Seiji helping him. Namakelder ends up making this boy, Yamazaki, into his latest Saiark victim, but it does bring up an interesting idea: when Megumi is revealed to him to have the same problem, Namakelder offers her to join the Phantom Empire where she can do whatever she wants. Obviously Megumi doesn't do it, but it is interesting that they see her potential as great and would let someone as powerful as her join even if being selfish ends up being sort of important to them...then again it probably would have been a rerun of last season and we already have the likes of Queen Phantom and Hosshiwa for that. It was amusing that we did get a baseball Saiark that is defeated due to entering a pitching routine everyone figures out and Namakelder tells him to "take his purification like a man"...at least with as lazy as he is, he knows when he's beat.

-----

Ranma 1/2: Ep. 4 (Original Series Ep. 4): Ranma and... Ranma? If It's Not One Thing, It's Another

Considering the yaoi community, I'm sort of surprised (and happy) that Ranma (male) and Kuno isn't a thing.

Ranma's sudden confession by Kuno about his love of the "pigtailed girl" has made him much more worried abut the idiot than he had prior, particularly in that now he doesn't just hate him for Akane but "loves him" for being this mysterious beauty that has suddenly come into his life! Ranma really wants nothing to do with Kuno just as much as Akane wants him to stop his daily "fight marathons" in front of the school, but it isn't made any easier by what extortionist sister Nabiki ends up pulling to both of them. Taking pictures in secret, she decides to get money and other gifts off Kuno in exchange, basically satiating him while he's unable to have either of these "girls". While we've seen Nabiki as a bit more wily in the opening episodes, this basically is the reveal of her money-grubbing side, something that basically gets way worse as the series goes on, but of course here it's basically about "dad doesn't give us enough so I'm using dirty tactics and Kuno's lust to get some more for myself. Obviously when Ranma and Akane find out, really it's another battle with Kuno, one where hopefully they're able to put things to rest. Luckily Ranma finally defeats him (but again they keep showing Kuno as strong despite Ranma being way above his league), but there is no resolution regarding the Pigtailed Girl: even when they douse Ranma with water, Kuno suddenly has this weird idea that Ranma is a magician and this isn't really "him"...and it is made worse when Nabiki states that to get the Pigtailed Girl himself, Kuno has to defeat Ranma since he controls her "body and soul". I assume she tries to make it a tad easier to have Kuno understand it, but since he's an idiot and we need a series to have gags established, it obviously goes over his head and now he thinks of Ranma as a pervert...but then again so does Akane so maybe they share a lot in common.