RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old July 17th, 2017, 08:06 AM   #2621
⚡Titanium321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
And that's what Davros said about him and all of his companions in Stolen Earth! He makes weapons of his ordinary friends! I remember! [/nerd]
Davros wasn't wrong and they did absolutely nothing to disprove or shed any of the negative truths he laid out for the Doctor. The show is ultimately about a guy who shouldn't be in charge of saving the day being the only guy who can save the day, and the carnage, both literal and metaphorical in the form of his companions, that he wrecks along the way.
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:07 AM   #2622
TealMystechRanger
Terror adhaerens

Quote:
What really pisses me off is the tremendous uphill battle Jodie's going to have to prove herself. She's going to suffer much harsher and incredibly unfair criticism from the manchildren. And any approval is going to be grudging. "I can't believe she did it as well as the men! I thought the entire shtick was a setup for failure. Boy, that's something, I guess I'm impressed. A woman proved me wrong."
Gah, yeah. I can imagine many more people than usual will refuse to be won over by her when we actually get to see her in action, because principles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium321 View Post
It'll be worse because it'll be in a British accent, so it'll sound extra smarmy and begrudging when the sexism and misogyny comes out.
A British accent? Which one were you thinking in particular? I think it'd be fun hearing a Liverpudlian accent whinge about it. Or Brummie! Maybe a strong Welsh accent...
TealMystechRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:09 AM   #2623
hasso_opitz
Xiao the Uchu Dragon

Quote:
Speaking of Aladdin, I'm curious. Was there uproar when Jake Gyllenhaal was cast as the Prince of Persia in that movie? I didn't hear much of it, and I've wondered if it was quieter because that was a garbage video game movie taken less seriously than a large Hollywood picture that reaches wider audiences.
During the time, maybe a few articles. It's referenced now yes. I saw an article about aladdin that referenced it.

And titanium brings up a good point. The Doctor can be pretty shitty.
hasso_opitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #2624
Allio
Power Ranger

"Did you just assume the doctor's gender? Just because the doctor's sex is female doesn't mean the Doctor is female. He might still prefer he/him! Please be respectful towards his life choices"

--- my tumblr impression
Allio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #2625
DekaRed
#GavanBromance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealMystechRanger View Post
Maybe a strong Welsh accent...
Oy! Lol, too be fair my Welsh accent isn't all that strong.
DekaRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:13 AM   #2626
TealMystechRanger
Terror adhaerens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaRed View Post
Oy! Lol, too be fair my Welsh accent isn't all that strong.
Wasn't suggesting anything negative by it! Just wanted to throw a non-English one in there and I'm not familiar enough with the different Welsh regional dialects to have given a specific one.

Speaking of accents, I wonder if Whittaker's going to use her natural Huddersfield accent? Tennant's the only modern Doctor who's not used his real accent (save for moments like in 'Tooth and Claw').
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #2627
Merlin
FABulously Golden.

Quote:
Davros wasn't wrong and they did absolutely nothing to disprove or shed any of the negative truths he laid out for the Doctor. The show is ultimately about a guy who shouldn't be in charge of saving the day being the only guy who can save the day, and the carnage, both literal and metaphorical in the form of his companions, that he wrecks along the way.
I think Fires of Pompeii was an attempt at justifying it, but wasn't convincing. The Doctor will kill an entire malevolent race to preserve the proper flow of history, and in doing so sacrifices thousands of innocent people. But as long as he saves just one family at his companion's begging, what he does is justified. The human companion keeps him human. It was definitely a very emotional moment, but the larger picture doesn't add up to anything benevolent.
Merlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #2628
JaimeZeo
Go-On, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMystechRanger View Post
....The arguments on one side have literally just been "she shouldn't be a woman because the Doctor's never been a woman before" and "Now little boys have no role models".
In addition to those and other poorly thought-out points, the aforementioned "role models are genderless" argument holds water.

Whereas arguments on the other side include...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasso_opitz View Post
Aladdin shouldn't be cast as a white person in a major motion picture from Hollywood. Sounds unfair to all the white people. I know.
... which is entirely unrelated and makes that side's point look sporadic and disjointed.

Why say this? Do you think I'm somehow bothered by the female Dr Who, and by extension that would make me resentful of the rightful casting of a middle-eastern character with a middle-eastern actor?
JaimeZeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:26 AM   #2629
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Fan edit of the reveal with color grading, no score, and proper TARDIS prop

https://twitter.com/TheSpiderDalek/s...22196885864449
Cameron Samurai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:30 AM   #2630
hasso_opitz
Xiao the Uchu Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeZeo View Post
In addition to those and other poorly thought-out points, the aforementioned "role models are genderless" argument holds water.

Whereas arguments on the other side include...

... which is entirely unrelated and makes that side's point look sporadic and disjointed.

Why say this? Do you think I'm somehow bothered by the female Dr Who, and by extension that would make me resentful of the rightful casting of a middle-eastern character with a middle-eastern actor?
It's the whole subject of if a male can have a female role model then a female can have a male role model. AKA let's just all have male role models the end. You said it yourself. Devil's advocate. The point of bringing up Aladdin is to show how "well it's racist if a white person cant be aladdin because they're white!" is the same ridiculous complaint as "well if a male can have female role models then why can't the girls just simply look up to a male Doctor?"

Not everything in a reply is specifically a target against you nor do I represent any "side" than my own.
hasso_opitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:33 AM   #2631
⚡Titanium321

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealMystechRanger View Post
A British accent? Which one were you thinking in particular? I think it'd be fun hearing a Liverpudlian accent whinge about it. Or Brummie! Maybe a strong Welsh accent...
Well, it as mostly a joke but now that you point it out, I can't imagine that "Wow a woman proved me wrong" sentence in any accent not sounding dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
"Did you just assume the doctor's gender? Just because the doctor's sex is female doesn't mean the Doctor is female. He might still prefer he/him! Please be respectful towards his life choices"

--- my tumblr impression
Joke aside, that's a point they may or may not go with. Does the Doctor want to be a woman? Is that going to be the running arc? This could go bad either way, either it treats the female regeneration as something the Doctor has to put up with until he can be male again, or it constantly harks on the change as a source of humor. I'd hope he'd just move on from it and easily accept being a she until she isn't anymore. Though I imagine there will be a lot of stories involving the Doctor having to prove she's the Doctor when people don't recognize a woman as the Doctor.

Would have been a good move to have a companion carry over to show how little the change means to the character itself by carrying on with the companion like nothing happened.
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:39 AM   #2632
Merlin
FABulously Golden.

I haven't watched much, but what are some examples where the Doctor's dick helped him solve a crisis? That's not a metaphor for his screwdriver. When did the fact that he had a male body help that having a female body wouldn't have?
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:39 AM   #2633
JaimeZeo
Go-On, then.

Quote:
It's the whole subject of if a male can have a female role model then a female can have a male role model. AKA let's just all have male role models the end.
Or all female role models; It works both ways, if it doesn't matter. Clearly it does to some people, or this would be a non-issue. The BBC will have known this, of course. This isn't just some spur of the moment casting choice.

Quote:
You said it yourself. Devil's advocate. The point of bringing up Aladdin is to show how "well it's racist if a white person cant be aladdin because they're white!" is the same ridiculous complaint as "well if a male can have female role models then why can't the girls just simply look up to a male Doctor?"
It's not remotely the same though; race and gender/sex are entirely unrelated and arguments applying to one can't just be applied to the other. It's just not comparable. I get what you're trying to do, but it's a moot point.
JaimeZeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #2634
TealMystechRanger
Terror adhaerens

Quote:
Well, it as mostly a joke but now that you point it out, I can't imagine that "Wow a woman proved me wrong" sentence in any accent not sounding dumb.
I know, just playing with the "British accent" generalisation, heheh. And you're right, anyone having to eat their hat after all this grousing is going to sound silly.
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:42 AM   #2635
Allio
Power Ranger

I kind of want him to try the femfatal thing (mimicking River's demeanor) only for it to back fire.

Doctor: I don't understand, I was told idiots fall for that!

Other: who told you that?

Doctor: River Song!

Other: what does that say about you?

Doctor: ...?
Allio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:45 AM   #2636
Ankh Prime
RIP Kaigan / 2,174

What the hell happened while I was sleeping?
Ankh Prime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:46 AM   #2637
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh Prime View Post
What the hell happened while I was sleeping?
Women were declared
Cameron Samurai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:48 AM   #2638
Merlin
FABulously Golden.

A way to identify manchildren viewers: 2018 reviews refer to the character only as The Female Doctor or FemDoc.

Because they were all over "The Female Master." Oh wait...
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:50 AM   #2639
Ankh Prime
RIP Kaigan / 2,174

Quote:
A way to identify manchildren viewers: 2018 reviews refer to the character only as The Female Doctor or FemDoc.
...I am going to do this next year.

"They cast a woman! Boy I chose such a good time to get into the franchise..."
Ankh Prime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:59 AM   #2640
NonExistent
Power Ranger

We got over 50 years of material of him as a man(if you count the audio dramas and the books) for everyone to go back to. Go watch or read the past stuff or any of the upcoming audio dramas featuring past incarnations. Plus we already had a female doctor in the form of the Exiles audio book in 2003 with Arabella Weir as the Doctor. Female incarnations of the Doctor have been a thing before nuWho. Plus this is a single incarnation. We could very well go back to a white male for the 14th.
NonExistent is offline   Reply With Quote