Old August 15th, 2018, 08:17 AM #61
> megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay
megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay

Storm Eagle wrote: View Post

Read the tweet that I referred to again and you'll see.

https://twitter.com/BWard028/status/422067407381741568

He also makes it sound like all studios have to abide by that.

On the other hand, they often get asked if they release titles in regions that aren't specific to North America, and they say they themselves don't have those rights, and they make it clear that they're referring to themselves.
see, that makes it seems all companies can't put SD content onto BD. but clearly discotek media can do it. which means other companies can as well, but for some reason they can't. it's against the law, which is a rather odd thing, why should it be illegal? it'd help bring cost down, since more can fit onto a BD.

can you imagine, all of mmpr season 1 fitting onto 3 discs rather then 6?
megagao is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 09:57 AM #62
> Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay
Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay

I'm hoping these will be Region Free, so I can play them in my European player. If they are, I'll be getting Juspion for sure! I love me some Metal Hero
Red Dino Ranger is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 10:23 AM #63
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

megagao wrote: View Post

see, that makes it seems all companies can't put SD content onto BD. but clearly discotek media can do it. which means other companies can as well, but for some reason they can't. it's against the law, which is a rather odd thing, why should it be illegal? it'd help bring cost down, since more can fit onto a BD.

Shout! Factory isn't going to do that. So we might as well just get over it. Besides, season 1 of MMPR being spread across 6 discs doesn't confront me in the least. So I'm sorry if it bothers anyone else.

Take this example. Sabrina the Teenage Witch has a complete season set consisting of 24 discs, and has 163 episodes total. They're all in standard definition and haven't been presented in HD anywhere else. That's all Paramount's doing. Shout! Factory didn't do that one. So why Paramount doesn't put the whole damn series on one Blu-ray disc, I do not know. Plus I'll say again for the millionth time, a lot of other studios haven't done that with standard definition episodes that haven't been presented in HD, and why that is, I do not know.

Look, if Discotek wants to stuff a zillion standard definition episodes on one damn Blu-ray disc, then I really have no issues with them doing that. If all the other studios aren't doing that for whatever reason, illegal or not, then I'll just live with it, and it's about time everyone else did the same.
Storm Eagle is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 10:30 AM #64
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

A German company put Hey, Arnold in a SD on BR and all the series was in 2 discs, episodes 1 to 48 in one, and from 49 to 100 in the other. If they ever do that, they could put episodes 1 to 40 in one and then 41 to 60 in the other (since Doomsday is the "mid-season finale") or maybe 30, 30.
Dexter1998 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 11:25 AM #65
> Sevenlima
Power Ranger

Sevenlima
Power Ranger

But they'll be no problem with the censorship ?
Sevenlima is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 11:17 PM #66
> TitanTrini
Power Ranger

TitanTrini
Power Ranger

Dude, its a DVD release it doesnt need any censorship!

Last edited by TitanTrini; August 15th, 2018 at 11:24 PM.
TitanTrini is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 03:32 AM #67
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Oh it will be censored because of there is at least one brutal murder per episode
Allio is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 03:34 AM #68
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Allio wrote: View Post

Oh it will be censored because of there is at least one brutal murder per episode
How is that a problem?
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 03:59 AM #69
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Joking with Seven. I was referring to monsters blowing up.

Which now that I think about it I kind of want to see a toku that actually brings up killing monsters.

Sure Dekaranger pretty much exaggerate monster crimes in order to be given the death penalty

But then you have somethings like Ninja Steel that monsters don’t do much to warrant a “kill on site.” Five bucks says they didn’t sign any wavers when they went on Galaxy warriors
Allio is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 04:33 AM #70
> Oceanblue
Power Ranger

Oceanblue
Power Ranger

Just to throw my 2 cents into the "legality" question -- doesn't anyone else think it might just be a matter of branding?

Maybe there IS some kind of "law" or agreement that prohibits using BD for storage and not for quality/HD releases -- but at the same time, notice that Discotek is advertising these types of releases as "SDBD" or "SD on BD" etc. The law or agreement might exist solely to prevent false advertising; in that case, if Discotek is clearly showing through branding that this is SD content on a Blu-ray Disc, then that might be perfectly acceptable.

Also, those tweets were from 2014. A lot can change in 4 years.

At any rate, I'm definitely going to be picking this up.
Oceanblue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 07:08 AM #71
> megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay
megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay

Shout! Factory isn't going to do that. So we might as well just get over it. Besides, season 1 of MMPR being spread across 6 discs doesn't confront me in the least. So I'm sorry if it bothers anyone else.

Take this example. Sabrina the Teenage Witch has a complete season set consisting of 24 discs, and has 163 episodes total. They're all in standard definition and haven't been presented in HD anywhere else. That's all Paramount's doing. Shout! Factory didn't do that one. So why Paramount doesn't put the whole damn series on one Blu-ray disc, I do not know. Plus I'll say again for the millionth time, a lot of other studios haven't done that with standard definition episodes that haven't been presented in HD, and why that is, I do not know.

Look, if Discotek wants to stuff a zillion standard definition episodes on one damn Blu-ray disc, then I really have no issues with them doing that. If all the other studios aren't doing that for whatever reason, illegal or not, then I'll just live with it, and it's about time everyone else did the same.

Whoa! hold up horsie. i'm not saying anything that companies need to do anything. i was just throwing my two cents in and showing how if they did, they'd save up on some money as well. but i have no issue buying dvds/bd's. it's just that Discotek seems to have hit a good idea with SD content on BD. I mean it does sound good to me to have way less dvd's if more can fit onto a BD.

Oceanblue wrote: View Post

Just to throw my 2 cents into the "legality" question -- doesn't anyone else think it might just be a matter of branding?

Maybe there IS some kind of "law" or agreement that prohibits using BD for storage and not for quality/HD releases -- but at the same time, notice that Discotek is advertising these types of releases as "SDBD" or "SD on BD" etc. The law or agreement might exist solely to prevent false advertising; in that case, if Discotek is clearly showing through branding that this is SD content on a Blu-ray Disc, then that might be perfectly acceptable.

At any rate, I'm definitely going to be picking this up.

that sounds legit, the branding, which means it shouldn't be an issue if other companies do it. and also true that brian did tweet that 4 years ago and a lot can change in technology. i think it'd be interesting if shout! factory looks into it. it wouldn't hurt them.
Old August 16th, 2018, 07:30 AM #72
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Oceanblue wrote: View Post

Or maybe Brian Ward was simply wrong 4 years ago. It's clearly not illegal to put SD content on Bluray and if it is or ever was I'd like to see the actual law not a tweet claiming it exists.

Now an agreement or a guideline by the Bluray consortium is something I'd believe like I said before but that's not what he said.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 07:44 AM #73
> megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay
megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay

Salted Pepper wrote: View Post

Or maybe Brian Ward was simply wrong 4 years ago. It's clearly not illegal to put SD content on Bluray and if it is or ever was I'd like to see the actual law not a tweet claiming it exists.

Now an agreement or a guideline by the Bluray consortium is something I'd believe like I said before but that's not what he said.
true. it sounds like it was more of an agreement, or maybe like i said before, that it pertains to certain shows from a certain era only? it could be lots of things, but something i think shout should still look into. i mean, how many of us here would prefer sd content on bd if meant way less discs?
Old August 16th, 2018, 08:22 AM #74
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Whoa! hold up horsie. i'm not saying anything that companies need to do anything. i was just throwing my two cents in and showing how if they did, they'd save up on some money as well. but i have no issue buying dvds/bd's. it's just that Discotek seems to have hit a good idea with SD content on BD. I mean it does sound good to me to have way less dvd's if more can fit onto a BD.
I'd still like to get this, even if it is standard definition material on a Blu-ray disc. Though like Salted Pepper said, all the other companies might just want to keep Blu-ray synonymous with high definition so as to not confuse the average consumer. Besides, by doing so, they're even keeping DVD from getting phased out so fast. It's just cheaper to put things out on DVD. Especially if it's material that can't be upgraded to true high definition.
Storm Eagle is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 10:00 AM #75
> megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay
megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay

I'd still like to get this, even if it is standard definition material on a Blu-ray disc. Though like Salted Pepper said, all the other companies might just want to keep Blu-ray synonymous with high definition so as to not confuse the average consumer. Besides, by doing so, they're even keeping DVD from getting phased out so fast. It's just cheaper to put things out on DVD. Especially if it's material that can't be upgraded to true high definition.
dvd's arent going anywhere anytime soon. i doubt if some companies go the route of sd on bd, that it would affect them. but since that isn't the case, dvd's will be around a lot longer.