Home Menu

Menu

Old August 12th, 2018, 09:22 PM #2201
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

...although as a heads up, I'm hearing that the initial Polygon article is misreporting it and that it's actually Zenimax Media's call on blocking the sale and not Bethesda.

Which for some reason they aren't bothering to correct.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 10:35 PM #2202
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

TeraMan wrote: View Post

...although as a heads up, I'm hearing that the initial Polygon article is misreporting it and that it's actually Zenimax Media's call on blocking the sale and not Bethesda.

Which for some reason they aren't bothering to correct.
Because for all intents and purposes, Zenimax is Bethesda. The distinction is a legal fiction established to protect the creative arm of the enterprise from any liability incurred by the corporate arm.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 10:44 PM #2203
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

GetTheeToABrewery wrote: View Post

Because for all intents and purposes, Zenimax is Bethesda. The distinction is a legal fiction established to protect the creative arm of the enterprise from any liability incurred by the corporate arm.
Not really. They're just the holding company.

And there are two Bethesdas: Bethesda Softworks (the publishing arm) and Bethesda Game Studios, the game developer.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 06:46 AM #2204
> DukeNukem 2417
VIP Rider

DukeNukem 2417
VIP Rider

Thanks to continued threats of litigation from everybody's favorite fan game-hating, emulation-bashing giant of a company, Emuparadise will be closing its doors soon.....apparently.

Jim Sterling's video on the subject showed a message from the site saying they'd be closing down, but I can't find said message on the site at all. Granted, a lot of the more well-known ROMs from said emulation-bashing company are no longer available (especially those featuring their "mascots"), but the site is still going for the time being. I, for one, think that trying to stamp out emulation in this particular fashion is a particularly stupid way to go about it, especially when the "Classic" consoles they've been releasing are overpriced and snapped up by friggin' scalpers before the "mere commoners" like myself can even get a glimpse of the damn things....but that's just me.

If Emuparadise really is going under, it was fun while it lasted.
DukeNukem 2417 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 07:50 AM #2205
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

BBC article about it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45169817
Emuparadise statement: https://www.emuparadise.me/emuparadise-changing.php

LoveRetro and LoveRoms are also gone.
Digifiend is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 08:20 AM #2206
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

I can't remember the last time I downloaded an emulation on those sites.
Allio is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 08:42 AM #2207
> GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

Digifiend wrote: View Post

BBC article about it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45169817
Emuparadise statement: https://www.emuparadise.me/emuparadise-changing.php

LoveRetro and LoveRoms are also gone.
I believe another that I used to use, CompleteRoms, is also gone. It can't be accessed anymore.
GalaxyRed is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 01:26 PM #2208
> DukeNukem 2417
VIP Rider

DukeNukem 2417
VIP Rider

GalaxyRed wrote: View Post

I believe another that I used to use, CompleteRoms, is also gone. It can't be accessed anymore.
It's utterly stupid that the company we all know is trying to stamp this out (I refuse to name them) is JUST doing this now. They've had decades to act against this, but now that their stupid little "classic" consoles have made a killing for scalpers, they're yelling at what they want the problem to be instead of addressing the REAL problem.

Like Jim Sterling said, look at how music piracy was fought: Pandora Internet radio and iTunes. We have stuff like Netflix and Hulu for TV shows. If the giants of the video gaming industry really gave a damn about the potential customers they're so afraid of losing via emulation, they could've put their heads together and come up with a CONSTRUCTIVE solution. Instead, they throw a strop and start threatening litigation against every emulation site under the sun.

Do they even care about their own fans, anymore? They pulled this crap against two of the biggest fan games based on "their" properties, they pulled it again when they DMCA'd a crapton of fan games on GameJolt, and they're doing it again now.....it's like they're living in another world or something, where logic has no meaning.

The real irony here is that the people who emulate their games WOULD love to be able to get them officially, but thanks to the fact that "classic" consoles are obscenely expensive on the secondary market and their virtual stores suck more than a Hoover....engh.

Well, they're never getting another dollar from me again. If this is how they treat their "fans", then they're officially one fan short now.
DukeNukem 2417 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 02:55 PM #2209
> Zeo-Gold92
Green Lovin' Machine

Zeo-Gold92
Green Lovin' Machine

I got back into classics through emulation in high school, I hadn't played a mega drive game in years before. Its because of emulation I have such a collection across many classic systems.
Zeo-Gold92 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 11:13 PM #2210
> StarTheFixer
Untouchable KIng

StarTheFixer
Untouchable KIng

DukeNukem 2417 wrote: View Post

It's utterly stupid that the company we all know is trying to stamp this out (I refuse to name them) is JUST doing this now. They've had decades to act against this, but now that their stupid little "classic" consoles have made a killing for scalpers, they're yelling at what they want the problem to be instead of addressing the REAL problem.

Like Jim Sterling said, look at how music piracy was fought: Pandora Internet radio and iTunes. We have stuff like Netflix and Hulu for TV shows. If the giants of the video gaming industry really gave a damn about the potential customers they're so afraid of losing via emulation, they could've put their heads together and come up with a CONSTRUCTIVE solution. Instead, they throw a strop and start threatening litigation against every emulation site under the sun.
I think its a case by base basis for every different thing (tv, music, games), but creating hulu and netflix I don't think made much of an impact on stopping the piracy. Infact I remember reading a survey a few years ago that said most people if they had the money would pay for a streaming service instead of pirating shows. Heck, I was one of those people in my early high school/college days. Now that I have a good job and money isn't an issue I have several paid steaming accounts. But I don't think it did much to fix the problem. We have a streaming service for HBO, yet Game of Thrones is the most pirated tv show online as of the last couple years I read.

But with this situation I won't take Nintendo's side with this. They really have never got their heads out of their asses when it comes to marketing and listening to their consumers, especially with the last few years with the classic consoles and nonsense with the Amiibo debockles.
StarTheFixer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 11:41 PM #2211
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

StarTheFixer wrote: View Post

I think its a case by base basis for every different thing (tv, music, games), but creating hulu and netflix I don't think made much of an impact on stopping the piracy. Infact I remember reading a survey a few years ago that said most people if they had the money would pay for a streaming service instead of pirating shows. Heck, I was one of those people in my early high school/college days. Now that I have a good job and money isn't an issue I have several paid steaming accounts. But I don't think it did much to fix the problem. We have a streaming service for HBO, yet Game of Thrones is the most pirated tv show online as of the last couple years I read.

But with this situation I won't take Nintendo's side with this. They really have never got their heads out of their asses when it comes to marketing and listening to their consumers, especially with the last few years with the classic consoles and nonsense with the Amiibo debockles.
There is no such thing as consumers for buisness. We are just ants that buy their shit. They only care about teh bottom line and making their board of directors happy with money. Because this is no longer a gaming industry but a media one to pump out as much as they can as cheap as they ca and as fast as they can. How many sequels come out for games with barely any changes? Its using the engine they built before and use so much and hope the money givers buy.
christopherjohn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM #2212
> CheckeredRanger
Get these hands!

CheckeredRanger
Get these hands!

Emulation sites are like the hydra.You might cut off one head,but another will grow to take its` place.

Emulation is just a part of how gaming is these days.I have no issue with it.Hell,I`ve downloaded several roms myself.
CheckeredRanger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM #2213
> comicstar100
Pirate King

comicstar100
Pirate King

Arcades in Modern age

Why do you think Arcades have stayed strong in places like Japan but declined in the states? What do you think it would take to bring back Arcades in a big way in the west?
comicstar100 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM #2214
> hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

comicstar100 wrote: View Post

Why do you think Arcades have stayed strong in places like Japan but declined in the states?
Distance. The beauty of arcade gaming was playing with other people, but with the advent of the internet, you're almost never NOT playing with other people. Why spend the gas money if you don't have to?

It's the same way Amazon killed malls. Home is where the heart is.
hasbro_primo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM #2215
> hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

Distance. The beauty of arcade gaming was playing with other people, but with the advent of the internet, you're almost never NOT playing with other people. Why spend the gas money if you don't have to?

It's the same way Amazon killed malls. Home is where the heart is.
I denno how far youd have to drive for social interaction to worry about gas prices but Iíll pick in person gaming over online any day.

I pick amazon over target because I donít care to drive to buy toilet paper. But, Iíll go to target to hang out with someone for the sake of hanging out with someone.
hasso_opitz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM #2216
> Tigran
Power Ranger

Tigran
Power Ranger

hasso_opitz wrote: View Post

I denno how far youd have to drive for social interaction to worry about gas prices but Iíll pick in person gaming over online any day.
Even under the best of circumstances, it would be 45 minutes to an hour to the nearest social gaming area... and that's the BEST of circumstances.
Tigran is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
video games