Home Menu

Menu

View Poll Results: If I were to bring back a weekend watch (as a marathon method), what would you want?
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers" 9 20.00%
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers"
9 20.00%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3" 5 11.11%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3"
5 11.11%
Kamen Rider Fourze 13 28.89%
Kamen Rider Fourze
13 28.89%
Avatar: The Last Airbender 10 22.22%
10 22.22%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97) 7 15.56%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97)
7 15.56%
Other (Say what in the thread) 1 2.22%
Other (Say what in the thread)
1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 6th, 2018, 07:05 PM #3161
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

hasso_primo wrote: View Post

The less Technic we saw, the better off we were.
It's not that bad outside the weird horn/pincers.

I'm still mad the face under the mask wasn't his mask.
Having a two-stage mask (thinking like the Den-O Riders I suppose or how the Ryuki Riders have the bug-eyes beneath the visors) would have been great; or just a true Rider face with a helmet over it...but you know this franchise and how they can't just keep things hidden.

timegold wrote: View Post

but for now there's Go, who's going to try to counteract that in his own way (meanwhile Shinnosuke is solving cases in whatever weird way), but who's going to create all sorts of problems on his own, and not just his antics here.
Yeah...everyone keeps talking about what Go pulls later. I don't even like him at this point but I fear what happens from all that.

-----

Ranma 1/2: Ep. 134 (Nettouhen Ep. 116): I Can't Read Akane's Heart

Seriously, it's hard to say whether it's Nabiki's or Happosai's mind that's a bigger black hole of darkness.

I don't get what guys see in Akane that makes her into this perfect female that they fall instantly in love with her. It's bad enough with the likes of Kuno, Ryoga and even Ranma, but when you have random one-shot mind-reader brats that likewise fall for her from one photograph, it just makes me wonder if she just has this random "Olive Oyl effect" where regardless of everyone else around, guys just fall for her because she's the only female around. Said random one-shot mind-reading brat is Satori, a kid who happens to discover Akane through a lost Ryoga, then takes up time and pains at the Tendo Dojo screwing with everyone there all so that he can win her over. The stupid thing: because "he's in love with Akane", his mind reading doesn't work on her for some reason or another. It's a really lame excuse for a really lame story just to sort of create yet another rival for Ranma over Akane, have them get into something that leads to problems, and then have it all resolved as we never see them ever again. Eventually the two do spar with each other leading to a situation where the boy basically sees RanKane in their minds and gives up on her, sort of just returning us to square one as usual. There is an interesting sub-plot about a puppet Akane made that ends up being contentious because Shampoo ends up fixing it so well that it no longer looks like her puppet anymore (it actually looks nice instead of...well, like Akane made it), but really it's just another excuse for RanKane tensions for Satori to screw around with. (though really if Ranma did promise a date with Shampoo for fixing it, he should at least have given her that)

-----

Space Sheriff Gavan: Ep. 21: The Dancing, Prickly Great Pinch: Operation Honey!

It's Barza...dancing with Bandora...now I've seen everything.

Machiko Soga: I think everything that can be said about this genius who has appeared so many times in tokusatsu that there isn't much more to say about her. Somehow her most peculiar appearances in toku tends to be in series where she isn't a key leading character and tends to just have a one-shot for some role or another; such as as an early MotW in Battle Fever J or as Baraba's mom in Maskman. Here...it's sort of a weird extension of her role the last two years as Queen Hedrian in Denziman/Sun Vulcan, but with a bit of a twist: remember that infamous bit where we see an afro Hedrian in disco clothing dancing as part of a plot? (seriously, Sun Vulcan disgraced Hedrian so badly compared to her regality in Denziman...) Well...that's basically the plot here: a mysterious medic named Honey shows up and cures anyone with pain with an instantaneous touch. However the touch is actually a lure: she uses a narcotic to ease the pain and radio controllers to turn everyone affected (including Gosuke and that idiotic photographer) into her slaves so she can extort money from them for the Makuu. (since...yeah, she's a Double Monster...the first female one) It's a rather well done plot and you can tell that with Soga's character that she's in way more control of things than a typical Double Monster; she even catches on to Retsu and captures Mimi to lure him down! Sure it all ends up the way it typically does in this series, but really the episode is less about the typical nonsense and just more Machiko Soga fun.

Too bad we have to wait four more series before she gets a MH starring role as lead villainess ala Hedrian/Bandora. (though one more thing: between Soga as Honey here and "Ginga Honey" back in Denziman...it's too bad we never saw a Machiko Soga/Ryusei Nakao teamup)

-----

The Transformers: Ep. 22: The Immobilizer

I think the whole Carly caper make the Autobots wonder why sexual differentiation exists in organic lifeforms...that or that Wheeljack and Ratchet have each other. (trust me, they do)

Another day, another bizarre invention by Wheeljack that basically nearly screws over the Autobots and make one wonder whose side he's really on. In this case, he invents a device known as the "Immobilizer", which basically solidifies all atoms to the point of not just turning something into stone but basically petrifying anything struck into the hardest known substance imaginable. For the Autobots, it's a potential weapon in their war against the Decepticons...and obviously for the Decepticons, it's a possible means to steal something from the Autobots to use against them. The main reason how they get it basically involves planting a camera on Bumblebee, yet somehow the main focus of the failure seems to be placed on Ironhide, who takes it a bit too hard when the Decepticons invade a demonstration of the doohickey (where, what else...Wheeljack basically gets frozen...) and decides to leave active duty due to this. But of course he has to come to the rescue when the Decepticons lure the Autobots to try and capture them with the device, even though...he's not really one that gets much of anything that you can consider real focus. The other notable element of this episode is the introduction of Carly, a girl genius who at first really is more interested in the Autobots than the fleshy human male who happens to have been palling around with them for quite some time. One thing I find interesting aside from them making Carly a genius is she seems to have peculiar grudge against the Decepticons; while some would question her being a DiD near the end, she basically put herself into danger in the first place multiple times; first by distracting Ironhide early on and later in putting a bomb onto the Decepticon base...a bomb that happened to be near the cargo area where she ends up stored when she's captured basically nearly guaranteeing her own drowning until Ironhide comes to her aid to make up for earlier. But the MVP of the episode really isn't Ironhide...it's Brawn, who gets them close enough to inverse the Immobilizer when it finally does it's job. (and again, another reason why Brawn is awesome)

Though one wonders if they could create a female version of Autobot X to transfer Carly's mind into if she didn't stop her Autobot obsession and didn't get advice that Spike exists at the end...I mean, maybe a female Autobot isn't a bad idea...for reasons... (then again I was actually hoping to save that joke for a more infamous female-to-robot relation in this series...)
Ataruman is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2018, 03:48 PM #3162
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Know they didn't think of things like things like this at the time, but given that Carly starts dating Spike ho is at this time 15, doesn't that make her a cradle-robber? Yeah, by the time of Daniel was born it would've been ok, but then, she kinda robbing cradles.
Dragonwolf Ranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 03:38 AM #3163
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

As said: I personally don't think that Carly's that bad and probably is just 18 (thus three years) or a girl genius.

-----

Ranma 1/2: Ep. 135 (Nettouhen Ep. 117): Pursuit! The Mystery of the Temari-Ball Song

Well if someone had to do the Indiana Jones bit, let's all be thankful that was Kuno.

Ghost girls: they can be cute and great if used property in pop culture (Japanese included), but some series it sort of feels strange one would even show up. Considering the element of supernatural martial arts Ranma has, suddenly adding a ghost girl feels a bit out of place; but we get one in a one-shot that has a cute one but one that sort of causes a lot of problems. She shows up at Toranmasa's shop out of the blue singing a song you'd typically bounce a Japanese Temari handball to, with some sort of strange enigmatic song no one seems to understand. Thanks to Kasumi's knowledge of this sort of thing (remember the "Good-Old-Days Martial Arts" episode), Ranma and Akane go on a hunt to see what this ghost left behind due to the discovery that the landmark where she sings about is actually something that exists in Furinkan. Kuno sort of also follows along but under a different reason: somehow he thinks the song is about a hidden stash of gold that the idiot second-school store owner has which could lead to more Furinkan world conquest. (it's not for Kuno riches, it's for school riches...and as selfish as it is at least I do like Kuno can tell the difference despite his idiocy about both) In the end, though, the song ends up being about a treasure...but not what you'd expect: apparantly this girl missed out on a sale at Toranosuke's store when it opened which included a stuffed tanuki doll...and not getting it created a grudge. I did like the ghost girl, Kogane; she does feel out of place but she is cute and I did like her dizziness in not really remembering why her grudge exists. Luckily she does reappear again later on...but then again I'm just surprised we got another appearance from Toramasa.

-----

Space Sheriff Gavan: Ep. 22: Golden Mask and Younger Sister: The Yacht Running Toward the Sun

I know some would like seeing more of Gavan as a female but...eh, he wasn't that attractive.

There seems to be a line regarding what one does for criminal activity in the world of Gavan: if are Makuu, you're immediately guilty of whatever you do; but if you're someone ripped off or ruined because of Makuu, then you're OK and you can go about your merry way. This episode sort of demonstrates that with the appearance of a mysterious criminal known as Phantom Thief X (portrayed by Narimitsu Kurachi; aka Ohba's former teammate Battle France), who appears and steals wherever a certain gem researcher appears. Of course the gem researcher is Makuu and the one who is doing the real thievery; and of course the reason he's doing it is because of being extorted by the Makuu being prior, having lost a valuable gemstone to the crook and his and his sister's father in the process. Obviously not being one to ignore a pretty face or a pity story, Retsu gets involved, leading to him infiltrating a yacht featuring the Makuu and minions on it (I sort of wish it was real people if they want to have it like the Makuu as trying to build a criminal underworld; but having the entire audience just be Makuu mooks defeats the purpose of that) and, in a crazy set of circumstances, saves Phantom Thief X and does a strange Shichi-Henge sequence to prove how badass he is and put on a show against the criminals who were causing the problem. While that sequence is somewhat entertaining while slightly offensive by today's standards (the crook has these "African spear throwers" as part of his torture of Phantom Thief X), the cheesy pity story seems to not really work in this situation. But hey, I did like seeing Kyousuke's actor working with Kenji Ohba on another show...well a third since he cameoed in Denziman too.

-----

The Transformers: Ep. 23: The Autobot Run

Really after this episode, all I can imagine for Sunstreaker is the voice of Link Hogthrob.

Considering that the Autobots are generally all wheeled vehicles (compared to the more notable flying vehicles the base Decepticons are), having them get in a race with each other actually is something that should have been seen much sooner than now. However, the team ends up taking part in a charity race that...gets put together supremely quickly all things considered, with nearly the whole squad (outside a few mechanics like Wheeljack and Ratchet and security such as Brawn; plus those who consider it a waste of time like Huffer...oh yeah, Huffer, he finally has a personality now) taking part. While of course they make a big deal of it being for charity (but trust me, Mirage won: he's a racecar and easily in front at the end), of course this whole thing is just a huge bullseye for another Decepticon scheme; in this case to test out their new "Transfixatron", which trap the Autobots in the form they're in when they're struck by it's beam. Despite all this (and the typical "let's have Wheeljack cook something up that can fix the problem" scenario), I did like that the team did at least keep fighting even without their humanoid forms, with Optimus in particular using his little trailer vehicle to distract them before ramming into a device that was going to rip apart Ironhide. Though considering the whole thing is based on a device that transfixes something into one form...I find the ending bizarre: not for Cliffjumper gleefully zapping Devastator with it as revenge...but because if Devastator is struck by that thing, wouldn't it just trap the Constructicons as Devastator? (you know...the form the Autobots know is a bad thing!?) They really should have defined the rules for what happens when a Cybertronian is hit with it not just in vehicle mode but in their sentient mode as well because that sort of made the ending cheap.
Old August 9th, 2018, 06:59 PM #3164
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

A lot going on the last couple days and I know I don't get that many replies in here with the current shows so...two for one time!

Ranma 1/2: Ep. 136 (Nettouhen Ep. 118): I Can't Let You Go Anymore

Is it just me or are there always girls in the changing room? (eh, Happosai sets his watch by it)

With all the perverted nonsense he tends to pull and how he really hasn't mattered that much since the Hiryuu Shotenha arc, Happosai seems to still claim that Ranma is his student and that he needs to "control" him and whatever he does for his own purposes and torment. But of course with the loss of respect as of late that Ranma has towards the old lech, he gets back at him with a set of "master-student pills", ones that supposedly make the two more respectful for one another...but in truth, are actually just miniature magnets forcing the two together. As cliche as the episode sounds with the old "two characters stuck together" bit, this was a Takahashi original and it really works hilariously well animated. The means to stop Happosai's "fusion" with Ranma is actually simpler than you'd think being "just defeat your master and he'll let go", but of course with how wily Happosai is plus how he can still climb all over Ranma despite not being able to disconnect from him, he's able to take advantage and get away whenever Ranma tries to strike...plus due to a strange fear of pain with the situation (probably to manipulate things because Happosai tends to screw with his students' minds all the time), it just becomes more and more impossible for Ranma to just do what needs to be done to be able to fix the problem. Plus, as Ranma and Happosai get "closer", Akane and even Ukyo end up having nightmares regarding what could happen if this doesn't end; Ukyo fears living with "the master" if the two get married; and Akane just fears Ranma becoming another perverted panty raider. The means to finally defeat him is hilarious...and disturbing, basically taking advantage of a panty raid but with a very...disgusting result. (it's hilarious but disgusting at the same time) It sort of shows somehow that despite the problems even she has at times, Takahashi generally writes superior stories and concepts compared to the animators I suppose.

BTW: we get a similar resolution in the manga...but it sort of starts with female Ranma trying to suffocate Happosai between her boobs and the floor. (which is a tad cruel...then again the ending here works too); plus while the bits with Ukyo aren't in the manga (same with Akane's visions), I did like seeing them.

Ranma 1/2: Ep. 137 (Nettouhen Ep. 119): Tatewaki Kuno Appointed Substitute Principal

Considering his own hatred of his dad's hairstyle choices, why the heck would Kuno go along with this so badly?

Kuno hates his dad and the Principal sort of doesn't really like Tatewaki that easily either. So for the most part, having Tatewaki doing anything for the principal would probably be considered out of the ordinary considering their past history. However when the Principal of Furinkan High has to leave for the week, he ends up appointing Tatewaki as his "substitute", not because of blood...but because of Tatewaki's loyalty to the school and it's nature. Considering the recent episodes with the second school store, it probably is apparant he made an interesting choice...but unfortunately with Kuno being so archaic in his ways, he ends up getting a bit too literal in the rules, including his own breaking of said rules in the past and the need to try and reign himself in. Unfortunately this episode is basically the old cliche of "the episode where someone is given power and goes mad with it", thrown in to a scenario where it's given to someone who isn't necessarily sane to begin with and who of course gets to a point where many have to rebel or else. Luckily Ranma is stronger than Kuno so he can avoid things for some time (and Akane and Ukyo seem rather immune too), but it's Nabiki who ends up Kuno's downfall; she basically exploits him for money sake for most of the week, then in the final day decides to throw something to screw Kuno over...a combo of Happosai and Maomaolin just as Principal Kuno returns and sees Tatewaki doing a crap job (combined with female Ranma showing up) Not sure why those two had to appear; it was funny but to have two pervs together who are obsessed with grils working together really does feel cruel. (plus obviously with Kuno actually acting against his own wishes for Female Ranma/Akane for the week, it sort of defeats the point having him try to play it by the rules if it works against said rules)

-----

Space Sheriff Gavan: Ep. 23: The Beauty's Cries That Cut Through the Night! The Phantom Coach in the Fog

Really, Kojiro's toothpaste spit was way scarier than any black-clad spider monster.

What is with spider MotW and their obsession with female objects of desire? Years before the madness of the Spider Fangire in Kamen Rider Kiva, we have the Spider Doubler, who also has this obsession with females (then again let's not forget the madness of the Urashima Taro plan from a while back) but who has a rather creepier approach, appearing in a horse drawn carriage before spooking them with spiders and carrying them off into the night. The episode probably wouldn't be that bad in concept...except one of the big problems is that one of the main focuses regarding this is Retsu's idiot friend Kojiro, whose hallmate from his apartment is one of the Double Monster's first victims and that he wants becuase...well, he thinks she likes him. (maybe he needs to listen to the Doobie Brother's "What a Fool Believes", that sums him up nicely) After several girls are taken, the idiot decides to take matters into his own hands...which basically means taking Tsukiko (that girl from the Avalon Riding Club) out on a date to lure the Doubler into the open and have her abducted so that Retsu can follow along and do what he has to as Gavan. The plan sort of reminds me a bit of the "turn kids into Doubleman" plots from earlier in the series, in this case literally mutating beautiful women into "beasts"...to increase their numbers but it isn't said as in just more female MotW or just sexual reproduction of new Doublers. Obviously Gavan comes to the rescue and Kojiro gets none of it, sort of making me happy that we're past this episode; any episode focusing on a character they try to force us into thinking is the "funny guy" is probably going to be a pain.

BTW: is it just me or is Tsukiko more like the heroine lately than Mimi? Seriously, this is BFJ's "let's use the girls way more than Diane Martin" bit all over again!

Space Sheriff Gavan: Ep. 24: Mimi's Nightmare!? The Howling, Slicing Demonbeast

Seriously, I'm still waiting for the point where Kojiro turns into a monster. He's the real threat here.

Being an alien from the planet Bird, Mimi possesses abilities beyond that of normal humans, including clairvoyance. So when she has a nightmare that Gavan is going to be sliced to shreds by a saber-tooth tiger Double Monster, she gets a bit too paranoid that something terrible is going to happen to Retsu. Really, the whole episode is basically just this huge excuse to finally give something to do for Mimi after all this time, with it somehow having to do with allowing for Mimi to have bad dreams, be paranoid about Retsu's potential actions and wonder if/whether things are going to get better or worse due to her warnings. Admittedly, none of these powers were ever seen as anything valuable or important to Mimi prior to this episode and I'm just trying to figure out how this ended up happening other than giving her something to do. Ultimately Gavan goes to try and protect the idiot Kojiro and the kidsw hen the Double Monster shows up and somehow she ends up maybe saving him with her vision but little is really explained about how or why it ends up happening. Oh...and the Double Monster hypes up that he can slice up Gavan's suit with unbreakable claws...only for the Laser Blade to slice them up like a hot knife through butter...so, I guess he advertised a bit too badly about what his capabilities are?

-----

The Transformers: Ep. 24: Atlantis, Arise!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dinobots are the original Hakushuu Dinosaurs from "Eyeshield 21".

Considering we already have two factions of enemies fighting each other over the fate of the Earth and Cybertron, why not throw in a third one to make things even messier? In this case, we have the civilization of Subatlantica, ruled by the fishman King Nergil and who subside on a powerful energy from the ocean floor that empowers their city and allows for their consistent survival. Obviously when Soundwave discovers it's existence, Megatron decides to make friends with the undersea empire...and that basically just ends up leading to the obvious: Decepticons helping Subatlantica return to the surface (by using Energon Cubes to empower a movement machine) while the Subatlanticans help the Decepticons invade Washington and cause all sorts of havoc. (and only really just sit in the Lincoln Memorial...no "Kneel Before Zod" moments here) But as good enemies tend to, they basically are going to betray each other at any moment, particularly with the Subatlanticans deciding "we'll just use the Decepticons until we got Washington, then we'll dump them and Earth is ours". It's interesting that Starscream seems to at least almost have a similar page with the Autobots here, especially after he's captured alongside Wheeljack (who they claim was going to be a technical slave but just put on top of a giant magnet); but unfortunately there is no real team-up of Autobots and Decepticons cause Megatron never finds out about Nergil's plans and even those who know like Starscream and Soundwave rather just attack Autobots and screw whatever the fish-men do or don't do with us. As ridiculous and dumb as the plot is (and seriously, it's ridiculous and dumb), the Dinobots once again save the day and the episode; crushing everything in their path and dealing with all sides in their own brute ways. In the end, the Decepticons sort of screw Nergil over because of all the Energon being used by him to blow it up...they claim they'll be back but seriously after such a terrible first impression, I'm sort of happy Subatlantica never came back.

The Transformers: Ep. 25: Day of the Machines

I think we were all waiting for the "El Mariachi" treatment of Soundwave with Megatron.

With the Cybertronians as machine lifeforms, obviously finding a means to manipulate the machines controlled by humanity is something the Decepticons could naturally search for as an advantage for their battles. In this episode, they do so by sneaking in to a top secret facility and reprogramming TORQ-III, a sentient supercomputer that they program into a really neat situation: turn his entire base into a living HQ to protect itself from harm, then use special control chips to manipulate some oil tankers to steal for their Energon usage. Considering all the bizarre plots and schemes as of late, something a bit more traditional is more refreshing at this point, especially with the team splitting in two to deal with it: Optimus leading a batallion to take down TORQ while Hound, Skyfire and Spike go to stop the oil tankers. Mind you it isn't a perfect situation, especially with a randomly stupid bit where TORQ tries to take over Optimus...and he gets out of it because...he flipped chips behind TORQ's back? But despite that and the really weird machines protecting TORQ's base, it isn't bad for what basically feels like a prototype of Terminator 2 with a much stupider and less "nuclear holocaust" version of Skynet. And the Autobots get a boat out of it...mostly it's borrowed to help with the oil tanker situation but Optimus opted to not take it back and ride Skyfire home after all is said and done...my theory: he discovered Ironhide's love of Chirstopher Cross and wanted to get away from that.
Old August 10th, 2018, 03:52 PM #3165
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Speaking of Ironhide, came across this vid of his va talking with one of his other characters and thought would share with ya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiDUPj88IMA

Also on the Ranma front, while know you're watching in Japanese, I take it these would be the eps where it's Mr. Cox instead of Ms. Strange as him? Never got around to watching those episodes, but heard folks say, if he did it from the start, it would've been ok and not the big jarring change folks would have to get used to.
Old August 11th, 2018, 05:13 AM #3166
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ironhide meets Eeyore...weirder things have happened I suppose.

Regarding Ranma...eh, I think I saw the first episode with the second Male Ranma and I do have DVDs with the original VIZ dub but sticking with the subs so can't really compare.

-----

Last Time on Power Rangers: After the fall of the United Alliance of Evil, a new age of universal peace was within reach; and opportunity came knocking. Responding were the Galactic Space Alliance, whose first Earth-based space satellite, Terra Venture, was sent forth to find a new habitable world for colonization. However not all evil in the universe had been annihilated by Zordon's final sacrifice: a squadron of invaders lead by the arachnid Scorpius were continuing their marauding means, hoping to gain the power that hid away on the distant planet of Mirinoi. Through a fluke (and a lot of space portals that seemed to appear all over the place this season), five heroes gained the power of Mirinoi's Quasar Sabers: a young Mirinoi girl, a second and head scientist of Terra Venture, a technician maintaining the old Astro Megaship, and a stowaway named Leo who gained his sword from his fallen brother, Mike, becoming a new squad of Power Rangers. As the Rangers return to protect Terra Venture, Scorpius' forces pursued to regain the power they believed would help with their own galactic conquests, beginning a long 212 day purusit which would see a wild goose chase for a key power-up, the return of Mike involuntarily and later voluntarily gaining the power of a vengeance-filled ancient warrior, the wily actions of a devious manipulations, the tragic loss of scientist Kendrix and the return and ascent of former villainess Karone, and the rise of Scorpius' coddled daughter Trakeena from a spoiled princess into a powerful, calculating leader of the evil forces. In the end (after a long journey that included nearly flying into a star and a dimension filled with space pirates...which will be the only time they will be mentioned here to prevent rage), Terra Venture successfully arrived at a world which they could inhabit...which ultimately turned out to be Mirinoi, the world of the Quasar Sabers where the journey began; while the Galaxy Rangers endured the final loss of Trakeena's honor as rage and manipulations finally brought her to her end.

Despite the problems of the Terra Venture and it's journey into the stars, the Earth should have been at peace. Every threat from Rita Repulsa to even Scorpius and Trakeena's assaults had been from space; and despite small problems, the universe was finally quiet enough that nothing further would bother the planet for a while.

However, no one realizes that some evil isn't necessarily from the stars. It may be buried in the sands from the ancient past...an evil of our own world...awaiting to be unleashed. But will humanity be able to handle something unknown even to the greater forces of the universe...let alone something that is not anywhere near Angel Grove?

It's time to find out. Welcome, my friends, to Mariner Bay.

And thus, the Franchise continues...

StrangerAtaru's (occasional) Power Rangers Franchise in Review!
Season 8: POWER RANGERS LIGHTSPEED RESCUE

Operation Lightspeed: aka: We're Ready to Believe You (or: DON'T LOOK INTO THE LIGHT, MARIAN!!!)

Hey it's the desert! Finally, we find out what happened to Ninjor!

Eh, I'd follow those guys but something tells me it's just going to lead to problems.

Wait a minute; this was a Lawrence of Arabia homage? And why didn't they get Omar Sharif for this?

I find it funny that they need to treat this like this is the Sahara yet this is still California. (really, evil can't be in Death Valley? IT HAS 'DEATH' IN IT'S NAME!)

These ruins...they remind me of that show Adam did once. (seriously, they better find Pharaoh's staff here)

Hey don't hog the water, you'll just release a trap!

That reminds me: still no Camelzord? Or is Shayla just not that interested in that sort of thing?

So the ruins move...and the Earth opens up. Which is it?

NO, IT'S THE ARK OF THE COVENANT! RUN BEFORE YOUR FACE MELTS!

It wasn't that hidden considering all the ruins above the thing.

Sorry we're not auditioning for a new Bulk, random Arab guy. We're past that.

Hmm...I wonder how much this is after inflation?

Old tomb with creepy cobwebs. Seriously the spiders really don't want you to touch their stuff.

Hey, that guy still needed that neck!

Oh no, the snakes are hooked to a smoke machine! RUN!

Um...you do realize that thing is rumbling, right? If you open it...then you're at fault for whatever happens the next fourty episodes.

Oh great, someone left their glow sticks in the thing.

OH NO, I WAS WRONG: THIS IS THE ARK OF THE COVENANT! (DON'T LOOK IN THE LIGHT, MARIAN!!!!!)

(The following scene of random Arabs melting and exploding was too gruesome for children's TV, thus it has been cut)

Opening...a lot of fun and way more hot-blooded than the last few...still no GoGoFive theme and the American/Japanese footage change is jarring but it works. (oh and they reveal the Grand Liner already!?)

Hey that was quick. Now I wonder why the ruins had so much Egyptian flare if the demons were going to end up in California?

Meh, Ghostbusters had random spirits causing havoc way cooler than this. (the scene with the cab driver was epic)

And cut to a random woman's heels. Um, this is a Ranger show; unless we're getting Trakeena back as Tracey, I doubt we need that scene.

Captain...what alarm do we have for "end of the world demonic plague?"

Meh, this was boring. Why are we even having a procedural meaning in a giant set meant for spandex heroes?

And she knows what "they" are. Then again...what are "they"? Ghosts? Demons? Insurance salesmen?

And this is my special file filled with special people. Don't touch.

Hey, it's the African American Nangou!

Sky Cowboy...guess in this mission, Joel's gonna be a "Ghost Rider in the Sky"

The Rangers have secret service this season? Or are they special aliens division with glowy thingies? (and I thought we were getting away from aliens?)

I'd say something but with current political climate, any comment about a black man and government agents is just going to be politically charged so I'll hold it.

"Hmm...he seems too much of a lady's man...not sure I should take his audience away."

And cut to a random cliff. Better not be where Zordon's base used to be.

Dang, that blue-screen effect really wears me out.

Seriously, didn't she bring a hammer to at least get that set up or does she only do pre-set climbing walls?

Hey, why take the hard way? There's a staircase on the other side of this cliff.

Yeah, I'd be that rude when government agents ruin my fun.

Man, considering things, I've never seen a killer whale show at an aquarium. (may have seen dolphins)

Oh great, the fish are for him, not the orca.

Throw a fish at them; pretend you're Lew Zealand!

And...a fire. Really, if they recruit a fireman trying to do his duty, then they have no respect for rescue workers.

Look, your work is important but Carter's doing his job.

Time for my "Backdraft" remake reel!

Dang cardboard; that's what probably started the fire in the first place.

His mask is so fogged up you'd have to wonder if Carter's a monster.

Oh great, the fire was caused by a MotW. Couldn't it just be a careless placement of matches?

Look, I don't think chemicals are going to be enough to deal with this blaze!

A few glass shard wounds; nothing we can't handle.

Hey, my job works with your job. Why haven't we met before now?

Look you're nice and all but think I can get a break in at the station before we go any further?

Bad time: I saw a thing in that place and I assume it has nothing to do with pyrotechnics.

Well the spirits need somewhere to hang out when not tormenting the populace.

We're sorry, demons, but your queen is in another castle.

I'm with Loki: how dare you place random Egyptian crap in our tomb and a city over our palace!

I believe this is an issue of Eminent Domain; seriously this city needs to pay the demons to use thier property for humanity.

I like these guys already: you destroy our home; WE'RE DESTROYING YOURS!

And a random submarine. Chad, know anything about this?

"And then...Ralph went into the navy and got on a nuclear sub..."

And now to relax while the sub is...zzzzzz

ALL HAIL ATLANTIS!! (well I think it's Atlantis)

Yep, the sub has docked. That's all you need to say.

Kelsey's taking this way better than the rest.

Oh no, Joel just hit the self-destruct! Where the heck is 6 when you need it!?

"I told you no touching!"

That's it: when you become a Ranger, first thing I'm doing is removing all hand functions.

Um...it's an aquarium...in an aquabase...seriously better have the appropriate fish.

Thanks, Joel, for calling it what it is: kidnapping. (now let's see Zack say the same thing to Zordon)

Joel Rawlings: shortest Ranger career ever.

I knew there was a catch. Mitchell wouldn't just let him leave without saying the truth.

Oh ignore all the books and stuff on there; we just were having this super boring meeting before the interesting stuff started.

5000 years ago...there was a thriving Native American population in this part of California...no wait, that's actual history...oh yeah, evil spirits.

Yep, a warlock did it. Not a wizard...and definitely not a space wizard.

We feared they'd escape...but we were sort of hoping Zordon would still be alive to handle them in our stead. (DANG Z-WAVE NOT TOUCHING INACTIVE DEMONS!)

Seriously, those nomads were bad news. Their camel spit in my face as they left for that stupid temple!

Yep, totally our weapons. Not ransacked from the crap Billy left in a landfill in Angel Grove; totally Mariner Bay made.

I find it hilarious they got regular profiles...and Joel's advertising poster.

And...now Kelsey's changed her mind.

That's it, I quit: if you don't have a talking robot or giant animals in rubber suits, then I'm not doing this!

Hey, Carter saw that...thing...so at least he believes this.

Well either you use these guys or opt for plan B...um, what plan B is there?

Ah yes, stock footage destruction and the demons at the tire shop...seen it.

"Really, why do we get demons? Why not evil space aliens like Angel Grove?"

The city needs you...or regular rescue workers but they're not getting a TV show.

Well that's the classic Sun Vulcan/Liveman combo...Joel...

And...it's a foursome.

Yep, your morphers. Look like real communicators...but with plastic buttons.

Five? Seriously, I was thinking it was going to be J.A.K.Q. with you as Joker, dad.

Yep, all that paramedic training, all those lost thousands...all for you to fight demons. Go get 'em, daughter!

I find it hilarious that GoGoFive is a family team...yet the only "family" we get is between the equivalent of Mondo and Matsuri.

Why not "deploy"; that works too.

Yep, they get the jackets too. And they're awesome.

OK so a Jeep. So...how do we use it underwater?

Ah, water tubes. Let's hope there's an infastructure for these things up there.

Well it made me less seasick than the sub.

Wait the monster is Psycho Red? So that's what happened after "To the Tenth Power"

Well at least the windshield isn't wet anymore.

Yep...people running in terror. Seriously...nothing's changed.

Animaniacs voice: RIGHT!

I have no idea what those things are but the bat wings and googly eyes just look creepy.

Run you idiots! What do you think this is, a Power Rangers series? (um...)

Guess Carter thinks running it over will just get rid of the thing.

Yeah Carter...I admire your heroism but that Jeep has no hood.

Damn you Mitchell: why doesn't your cool vehicle have any windows!?

Yeah...no spandex means you're not going to do well in the opening episode.

Sadly unlike Jason's squad, the Rangers here don't get the idea "hey, maybe these will give us power" without Mitchell telling them.

Hey you; yeah I know you're not getting the Space Rangers...or the Galaxy Rangers...BUT WE'RE NOT GOING TO LET YOU TAKE US DOWN EITHER!

CHAKUSOU!!!!

Seriously, the suits emerge over them like goop. They're supposed to be rescue equipment, not magic.

POWER RANGERS!? BUT...AREN'T YOU SUPPOSED TO BE IN SPACE...IN A LOST GALAXY!?

Civilians: About time Mariner Bay gets it's own Rangers. Angel Grove isn't the only city with them anymore...or Panorama I think...

BEWARE MONSTER: WE'RE POINTING FINGERS AT YOU AND THEY'RE LOADED!

For those about to fight...we salute you.

Forget karate action: I'VE GOT A GUN!

Watch carefully as this gun flies into the air...and me with it.

Chad, you're not Tommy. Don't try to make up martial arts noises like him.

And unlike Carter, Dana prefers a sword.

Hey, some of us like burnt toast.

Ain't got the guts? Sorry, jerk, this isn't your typical Power Rangers team. They shoot first, then...maybe karate chop you later.

Gun twirl as the monster explodes!

Well...that was interesting. Think we should do this again?

OK, I like that civilians actually know the Rangers are Rangers this season and there's zero secret identity. This feels more in line with "Countdown to Destruction" than anything on Terra Venture.

Hey don't crowd them; this place is still claustraphobic and underwater.

Joel: Guys? Seriously in my old job, all my fans were girls!

Joel, enough bragging, time to talk to the boss.

Come on Captain: it's their first mission. Let them have this tiny victory; they have 39 more episodes to deal with Diabolico.

Seriously, Kelsey...you thought...THAT REPAINT WAS DIABOLICO!?!?!

Group salute! (even by my daughter)

Credits: VICTORY MARS!? UM...RUSHING MUCH!?

Thoughts: This episode I somehow feel as a new beginning for Power Rangers: with literally nothing left of the Zordon era here (not even old characters or concepts), we actually get a fresh start for kids to follow along with (even with the comedy of Psycho Red returning as our first MotW...maybe Diabolico needed a test subject and heard about what Psycho Pink pulled last season) It's a unique take on "Day of the Dumpster"...despite the weirdness of "Egyptian Tomb in a California desert" and the factors of some sort of magic that isn't Native American just happening to seal something horrific five thousand years ago. Carter definitely is the first to impress here, while I sort of feel like I didn't get Kelsey; she seemed to like the idea of the strange new surroundings she's in...utnil Mitchell comes along and said "you're fighting demons now, have fun!" I don't mind the suits considering the rescue motif, but the morph is rather bizarre with the "rescue goop" considering that they're supposed to be special high-tech rescue equipment...spandex high tech rescue equipment but still the goop felt off-putting. And likewise is just the massive support this team has: both being actual heroes to the public and the perspective post-"Countdown to Destruction", it's great that the people actually know the Rangers are among them and on their side without the secret identity ploy the franchise has used for 7 seasons (despite CtD) It's a fun introduction and I can't wait to see how this series plays with and utilizes what we've had up to now despite the new start.

Lightspeed Teamwork: aka: Fairweather Foes

At least Diabolico wants to get to the point. How long did Rita or Dark Spectre or Trakeena take until deciding "let's destroy the Rangers base first"?

Wait, they melt in water? Well...that's plus one for Mitchell.

Jinxer...sounds a lot like Finnster...only more insectoid...and annoying.

Well we can't get to the Ranger base...let's wipe Mariner Bay off the map instead, good compromise.

Joel: Seriously, all the girls on this boat are so celebate; it's boring.

"I never thought I'd fall for someone in a labcoat."

Not sure about Joel but glasses always makes a girl...much more attractive to me.

Ick, get off me; you're the Ranger but I'm the scientist!

Yeah, I'm a Power Ranger. Surprising, really, but they always want personality as Rangers on this show.

Seriously? I thought the line was "Danger is my middle name"...upon which I say Joel's probaly lying but...

See I'm the Green Ranger. In this franchise that's important.

JOEL, NO FLIRTING INSTEAD OF BUSINESS!

So...now you know I'm the Green Ranger. Want to date me Kim...er, Tanya...Ashley...dang it Damon never had a crush on anyone!

Hey, no talk about "Density" until next season!

Eh, Zordon did fine without a Green Ranger at first, so should we.

And here is where we make guns to shoot things with...er, put fires out.

And this is where we made scuba gear. Sadly Ranger teams never fight underwater that often but who knows.

Rangers, this is Miss Fairweather...aka, the reason Joel's late. (and probably fired)

Yep, we must protect our city; our precious city we stole from demons...wait what?

Meet your new vehicles...and all we needed was a bit of IMAJIEEEESHON!!!

Kelsey, have you ever been in Europe or Japan? They'd be drooling for vehicles like these Rail Rescues.

JOEL, WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON THE SURFACE!? I TELL YOU, YOU'RE SO FIRED AFTER THIS!!!

And...a meteor strike. Better not be Bookala again.

An asteroid? THIS SEASON!?!?

Yep, a giant sentient asteroid. At least it's still better than Dezumozolrya.

Look I'm more a sub and ocean guy. Trains...I'm not sure.

Really without Carter around this team would be falling apart. (then again Joel so...)

Joel, the brief: your wannabe girlfriend made us trains. Put those flowers away and get back out there!

Secret mission...ewww...now he'll think you want Dana!

Mitchell...seriously, fire Joel now. He's not worth it.

AT LEAST THROW THE FLOWERS ON THE FLOOR OR SOMETHING YOU IDIOT!

Falling floor, activate!

Yep...they're trains...still think it's too good for them.

Do like they worked a way to combine Bay Area 55 with the Aquabase so it's smoother.

At least they're able to link up so they can save energy.

Look the trains are cool and all but...magma asteroid monster destroying city?

A bullet train...now I know it's stock footage cause California will never get that.

Keep your hands inside the vehicle until it comes to a complete stop.

Ah, vehicles inside vehicles. Still stock footage but I do like the convenience.

Pyro? Wouldn't that make it sound like it causes fires?

Joel...are you just showing off cause of Fairweather?

Yeah monster, but we have to be civil servants first.

Yeah a reguar fire fighter would be cool...but they're special fire fighters.

Lava. Yeah...that's something I'd imagine the National Guard deal with more than fire fighters.

Fairweather just think's he's being reckless. See, they hate each other.

Joel, you weren't in the meeting earlier; listen to us and follow orders in working together!

Not sure how lifting up Chad's tank is going to save the day but...

Hey this looks like the beginning of a Megazord.

Seriously without a torso, it looks like a multi-colored ED-209.

Yep, we did something without needing a full Megazord. Isn't that neat?

It's called "Ladder Arms" cause it's a ladder with literal hands.

Yeah we shouldn't be making a bigger mess but...rescue duties.

Strange how little smoke is getting into the room; maybe it's just got good ventilation.

Going up! (wait shouldn't Kelsey have the rope?)

Oh now the smoke gets in. Just for Kelsey to drag them away.

Oh great, now the cables. Kelsey, if your climbing skills are of any use, now's the time.

Carter Grayson to the rescue!

Yeah the building's collapsing...not sure your hole helped it any.

Lucky for them we got a new item...probably not tested, considering this franchise.

LIFE BAARD!

Hey it's a mini-Andros sword.

I'd let Kelsey open it due to her super-strength but Carter's the expert.

Meanwhile the entire building's become a set from the movie "Volcano".

Guys, monster problem...and we're just a sane ED mecha.

And here comes the monster to finish the rest of the job.

Yeah I thought having a ladder with hands was ridiculous too.

Man is that one effective demolition company.

Oh great; can we get some better traction on these roads?

And now Fairweather really hates Joel. Seriously, they're not made for each other.

Hah, think you can attack a fire engine flying in the air, can you!?

MEGAZORD MODE! (despite the weird words in the caption, I do like it's a full-on mode)

And I think the volcano monster's lava is just making the transformation all the cooler.

Hey, never thought anyone would think of using collatoral damage instead of attacking the Megazord formation itself.

That's hilarious: He's literally shooting the monster while forming the Megazord.

Joel: AND I'LL FORM THE HEAD! (if Miss Fairweather permits me to)

Well we figured out how to walk; now to do so with two more mecha on us.

Hitting them? More like putting up a smokescreen.

And...that's why the ladder had hands. For Gomu Gomu no Pistols!

So he came from space...let's send him there so he doesn't return.

The air? That's the crater he landed in!

Got to act proper, Fairweather. You're supposed to be the scientist.

Yep, we're a team. Maybe not Joel but he's learning.

And the flowers survived all that? Eh, must have been fake.

Joel...um, Carter's talking....Earth to Joel?

The petals are falling around. Seriously, they did take a lot of damage in the fight.

Joel: I'm never getting used to being underwater.

So you like science. Good, I always like smart girls.

Aww...it's an autographed photo of his profile...from his brief...that was confidential...

Hoo boy...I think he's about to get in trouble...really he should have just given them to Mitchell for his daughter.

Seriously, I'm a Power Ranger; no control expert tells a Power Ranger what to do!

So...she'll go out with me if I...explode? O...K...

And the others see Joel's romantic aspirations go kaboom.

And that's what you get for missing the meeting.

Thoughts: With the first episode basically being the show's own opener to bring us into the world of Lightspeed Rescue, this episode uses the footage from GoGoFive's first episode in a really decent manner. The main difference between the original and this version is that it's used to introduce Miss Fairweather, the scientist behind the mecha and weapons this time around. Considering how Kendrix last season opened us up to a more scientific female character, I like that Fairweather's used as the next step regarding that and shows that anyone can do it; further in that she's the first one to design the weapons for a team that isn't based on alien technology like all the stuff under Zordon...or associated with the Lost Galaxy Rangers last season which Alpha mostly did outside the ancient tech hidden away. (yeah there's the possibility of Billy with the Turbo powers but that was still with Zordon's guidance) There is some clash regarding having the Japanese concepts of the train carriers possessing the vehicle Zords for the rescue missions, but it works with what they've got and the Rescue Megazord/Victory Robo is a classic and I love how realistic it's first transformation is here. The only really distracting thing is that Joel decides to be a perv and go after Fairweather thinking he can seduce anything under the sun...and screws up cause he runs off to get flowers instead of paying attention to the key briefing the team had before the monster fight. Obviously what happens with those two is a season-long story but the first interactions here are not fun and just rather annoying and show that obviously it isn't going to be like this at the end. (makes me think of Ranma and Akane somehow)

Trial by Fire: aka: Deck the Halls with Gasoline

Wait is Kelsey leaving for air or is she quitting? After the opener, it could go either way.

You know until she started to admit it was about climbing, I almost thought she was talking about encyclopedia sales.

I used to want to fly. Then I discovered girls. (think Fairweather kept my poster?)

Yep, I jumped out the window...and spent two weeks in intensive care. Free ice cream every day was definitely a perk.

Seriously, I can't see Carter as anything but a fireman myself. Seriously, he's probably the only Red up to now with an aspiration other than "save the world from aliens" (outside maybe TJ)

Carter, is it just me or do you just like seeing mystery men in long distance shots?

Yeah, that day...say, want to know about my first girlfriend? (it's really juicy, Joel)

Carter: Yes, training! Time to shoot things!

Nah that's not presenting arms but it is respectful.

I've got a stopwatch and I know how to use it!

Slow-mo wall jumping? Seriously, I thought we left that behind in Angel Grove!

That dirt is probably all Joel's going to be eating until he and Fairweather make up.

Is it just me or does the beret remind me of Commander Yui from the first "Changeman" episode?

Seriously, Kelsey: if that baby starts plotting something evil, throw it off the building immediately.

And thus Dana's big move: she has the towels.

Nope, it's not that Joey...you're doing good.

Not bad...IT WAS TERRIBLE! I WANT IT DOWN TO A MINUTE, STAT!

How do you know that was a monster, Carter? That could be an ally or a friend; don't be judgemental.

Really, they need to bring "Little Suzie" from "Men in Black" into this gallery. Would Carter headshot her like J did?

I'm not sure MotW would ever surround civilians in a crowded house. If they were all Batlings, sure, but monsters?

Ugh, Kelsey, you're so heavy with your muscle mass!

So...this place safe and secure? Fine: LET'S NUKE IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!

Hoo boy, Mitchell's gonna reveal the monsters weren't evil after all. That would have been a twist.

Yep, that's Carter's problem: he's too good at shooting things.

Um...I get the situation but...were there civilians in there? Were they in danger due to the monsters? A bit of clarity? Anything?

Carter: Dang: I finally get to use a gun and this is what happens. Maybe I should stick with a hose.

Powerful nothing, Loki: IT HAS EXTENDO ARMS! DID JASON OR TOMMY OR ANDROS HAVE EXTENDO-ARMS!?

Yeah...Bansheera isn't going to like having a Megazord around either. Idea: keep the threats small, then you won't fight it.

OK, when did Vypra go out there behind everyone's back?

EARTH...er, SEAQUAKE! (haven't had that in a while due to all the space travel)

And unlike Zordon, Mitchell can pick up when seismic activities aren't natural. Score one for humanity.

Guess that's what the opening means by "The SIgnal is Calling"

Dang, it was just Batlings with stakes? I was hoping it was going to be big feet.

Wait, how did Vypra's voice suddenly become so whiny?

Seriously, she sounds like an even more vapid version of Trakeena pre-training! (so...Astronema?)

NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-BATLINGS!

Eh I liked the first fight more where they were less generic Rangers and more "we shoot things".

Never mind, Dana's going to work shooting things. I guess it's more Chad that kicks.

Joel, you are an embarrassment to Rangers everywhere with your showmanship.

Vypra: So...I'm a villainess, you're a Red...rivalry? Please?

Sword-shmord, I still know kung fu...I think.

Yes, a shopping cart! That's my means of escaping!

Sorry but they were in the express lane and you're five items over the limit.

I have a gun, you have a sword. We already had an Indiana Jones homage two episodes ago...I'm willing to do another

Hey...explosives...they're firefighters...an idea's popping up.

Unlike what the relief says, the parking here isn't "Allright".

Super spirit teleportation away!

So...the roof is caving in and there's a loose wire...which will cause problems first?

Such is the problem in rescue work: civilians or public property? Now what was GoGoFive's slogan again? (KIAI DA!!!...no, the other one)

Look Mitchell: this garage's name is a lie; no one is allright and people are going to worry about them.

OK, fire first. But if they breathe in toxic chemicals, I blame you.

Yeah...and that extra time to put out the fire allowed for the roof to collapse. So...told you so?

Um...slow-mo? Seriously, it's going to come down regardless of speed.

No...that plane...DO YOU REALIZE HOW CHEAP THE PLASTIC ON IT WAS!? NOW IT'LL NEVER BE REPAIRED!

At least he's still conscious after getting his head smashed in by the roof. That's one good thing.

And where were you guys when Carter had a moral decision to weigh upon himself?

Mitchell: So...would I have done that?

And off goes Lightspeed Red. Seriously, it's hard to say which was the greater danger after all that so being pissed is probably natural.

He has the money to line his office with wood underwater? Seriously, Mitchell; you're not a Bond villain. Use your money wisely on this operation!

Wrong and right are all perspective. Seriously, if Carter knew everything...like what Vypra saw...

Mitchell: (to himself) Sure, it's my fault a boy got hurt. Doesn't Mr. Grayson know anything?

Hmm...should I have lined this office with mahogany or something more soundproofing?

Dang, first time we've seen a hospital used this way. Uusally it's when one of the heroes is in the hospital.

I'd say the scar on his cheek will make him more manly but he is unconscious so the right words.

I made a crap decision. My rescue line of work has been thrown to hell before it really got started.

Don't know how it happened? Hmm...parents careless or meth lab I say. I say question if Mr. Snizzard had any association with the place.

Laying on the ground works. Ventilation and fresh air; smart.

Um...the beam can wait, he sort of needs to get out of there.

Mr. Firefighter...you're on fire...you do know that right?

And that's what happens when you buy furniture from Ikea.

Yeah, I'm not a pro. That's why I'm Lightspeed and not SPD.

I remember this place...and look, the dead alien, just where I left it.

Seriously if someone like him was there, I could just shoot him; screw the mission.

Wait...did Mitchell tell me they'd be in the test?

Hoo boy, maybe he was right on something after all.

Dang...and all it took was a random carpet for Mitchell to get his "I told you so". (or did Vypra deliberately set it there?)

Gasoline...in a garage...WHOSE BEEN HORDING IT...or siphoning it from customers illegally?

Hurt nothing; I'd say limbs flying away, burns, multiple death; they're not wearing super-goop spandex like you you know.

Mitchell, question: why didn't you tell me those things were in there?

And...another earthquake. I'm hoping this isn't a search for the Lights of Orion.

Yeah...fighting monsters is something only you can do, Carter. The rescue stuff...needs work.

Yep, boss gave me a pat-down; I'm on it.

Seriously I think the Batlings are as bad at hording as the garage manager.

And of course she has fire breath. What else would you need to explode gas canisters?

NO, YOU'LL NEVER POSSESS THE POWER OF THOR!

Really, a sledgehammer? You make it too easy.

Growl like the whiny girl that I am!

Yep I know what you're doing...and seriously, are there any more gas cans in here?

Look, after last season's ridiculous plans, let's try to keep ourselves to a higher standard.

Just hoping when they pull all the needles they don't just end the world...where's Pokey when you need him?

NO, MY SUPER-VALUABLE CHEAP PIECES OF METAL!!!!

Petty to get angry over a bunch of random metal; why not a monster or something?

So, let's see what you gave me...BEAVER WARRIOR!? WHO THE HECK PLAYS THAT CARD!?!?!?

Seriously, we need to invest in Maximillion Pegasus' technology, stat.

I CAN BREATHE...oh, hey Loki, what brings you?

Rocks and pebbles? Wait, they blew up their own monster to grow it!? Who the heck does that!?!??!

Amiyasu Amiyasu Amijiisu... PSYMA...FUKKATSU!!!

Hoo boy...he's got a big mouth.

Guys, this isn't Fiveman, don't count. (AND NO PUPPETS DESPITE THE TRAINS!!!)

They got this fight really far away from the city. Nice planning...but is that more Vypra's or the Rangers?

Oh great, he went underground. Think we can stomp him?

WINDMILL KICK!

Yay, they get thier sword...

I fell in to a deadly ring of fire...

Monster: Think you can let me do something before blowing me up to grow next time? (dies)

Hey I got you a present...and no it's not from a dollar store this time.

Hey kid, why did you run off if you're still here for a few more days?

I'll be like you...but unlike you, I'll know the symbol for a flammable liquid.

He gave him a present. Mission Accomplished.

So...think we could have done the hi-five after you opened it? You may hate what's in there.

Thoughts: This is another episode that I really think sets a strong standard that this isn't your typical Ranger team. I really like the lesson here: that Carter has to think about what is going to maximize survival for those caught in a Demon disaster zone and not just charge in with guns blazing thinking that he knows what's right. I did complain that he didn't know or think to know about the flammable liquids in the test or in the underground, but considering he couldn't see them (especially since the one in the garage was covered up by a carpet), it is hard for him to realize that was priority one...then again, how did Mitchell know there were flammable liquids down there? (or is that just from knowing how Mariner Bay's parking garages work?) I still like that the Demons main idea is to basically just destroy the town outright with the plan here; though it feels cheap they just throw in a MotW fight at the end to use footage and finally show the Megazord's sword finisher. And...seriously, I think I'm in agreeance now that Vypra can't act; they can't all be Trakeena or Astronema.

Riding the Edge: aka: ROW! ROW! FIGHT THE POWER!

Dog walking in Mariner Bay? Seriously I wouldn't be surprised if that's just advertising free snacks for the demons.

Hey, Dorcy's doing all the hard work you know. See how those little legs move?

Dog running off...I get Angel Grove's leash laws but Mariner Bay's a completely different beast.

DORCY, THAT SQUIRREL ISN'T WORTH IT! GET BACK THERE THIS INSTANT!

Well...dog's doomed...no wait, they're all swirving so far, no traffic on the other side.

That has to be one patient dog to sit like that...maybe it's actually one of the demons.

Look I get what's happening but I just can't believe Kelsey would leap into the way of oncoming traffic and nearly get herself killed for the sake of that little thing.

This is the longest traffic incident I've ever seen.

Eh if this was the real world, then Kelsey probably would have forced several injuries (well that would have gotten Dana work) and been stuck at the station for hours for her troubles. Then I think Mitchell would revoke her powers.

Yeah...you're still in oncoming traffic and your legs are not strong enough to withstand a semi.

Seriously that last car was in slow-mo while she skated by...SHE'S VIEWTIFUL JOE!

GOOD JOB! (and meanwhile, in Nagano, a Rider is feeling idiotic that some random idiot American Ranger just stole his schtick as he's making it up himself)

Dorcy, idea: either a baby carriage next time or sign your papers with Diabolico immediately.

Yeah I nearly got myself killed for your purebreed but don't think about me.

So Kelsey "Crazy" Winslow...yeah makes sense.

Nancy: She needs to rub my chin like that too.

OK, idea for Diabolico: we all turn into dogs...AND RUN INTO THE STREET!

Tired of them already? They've only fought your group three times so far!

Rebuild your palace? So what is this, the summer residence?

Well time for monsters. Sorry, Loki, maybe if you suggested it two episodes ago you'd have been able to go out.

Considering the Psyma have their monsters already on hand, there's nothing to create; just summon.

Seriously, I still say talk to Pegasus; he has the perfect summoning means for your group.

Does that brat say anything other than "mama"?

And now the news...and for once it isn't about the Power Rangers saving the day.

I think Dana's keeping watch over her sodium, you know how paramedics get.

Yeesh, at least get your own from the bowl first, Kelsey! How rude.

Wait...NANCY'S OUR KYOKO HAYASE!? MAKE HER THE RED RANGER, SERIES!!!

That girl...I CLAIM THE ROLLING OTTOMAN!

PUPPY!? THAT'S A FULL GROWN DOG!

Hey Joel, a girl's about to fly higher than you'll ever.

Considering NASADA and GSA, space programs are a dime a dozen now I suppose.

Four hours!? Millions of dollars for a space shuttle, rocket, fuel, training and whatnot for four hours!?

Eh, still not as impressive as the former Turbo Rangers flying off into the unknown.

Mitchell: Look I'm not a fan of Mariner Bay's space program...but neither are the demons.

We have a raging tornado and a rocket flying into space...and that jeep is going to catch up?

You are now free to move about the cabin...AND DON'T LET DORCY OUT OF HER CRATE!

At least this team knows where the shelters are located.

And here's someone trying to revive the comedy styings of Buster Keaton.

AM I OK!? I NEARLY GOT BLOWN AWAY; MY LIFE'S STILL PASSING BEFORE MY EYES!

Carter, give more respect to the plastic lawn furniture.

Carter: Oh, so there's that Diabolico Mitchell mentioned before. Maybe I need to give him more respect?

Here's the deal: our palace sucks and is trapped in another dimension; you humans took over our lands...and we have the proof.

So tornado on the ground...let's cut back to space and see how Nancy's screwing things up.

He who? Diabolico or the monster?

He must feel really dizzy now that he's not spinning all the time.

You can't stop me? Um...the tornado's been stopped so...

Hey here's my Batling support group. They don't say much but they help me with my problems.

We've got each other? That's a bit offensive to the Batlings; they're probably just as friendly.

Again, Chad: stop trying to be Tommy with the weird ki yells.

Wire fu action...and you can actually see the wire!

And Dana's going the arcade shooter style of combat.

Well four hours is four hours...yeah, I guess that's the limit with city budget cuts and not being private like NASADA or GSA.

"YES, I AM INVINCIBLE!"

Yeah got a bit of a back sprain but I'm fine otherwise.

Guess I'm not as invincible as you'd think...LATER!

Dang weather problems. Maybe you can land in Arizona?

That's a lot of debris flying into the clouds.

Um...Carter...I don't think the Rescue Bird's going to help Nancy in the upper atmosphere.

LIFE BIRD BREAKER MODE!

CALAMITY BREAKER!!!

Well he died easily. So much for the invincible...whatever it's name was.

Yeah...we stopped the monster...but we still invested millions in that shuttle.

Look we know you can do this but we know your record, Joel. Moment she lands and you'll be hitting on her and then it gets messy.

I have an idea...GIVE ME MY ROLLERBLADES!

Oh I get it: roller skates, trains...STARLIGHT EXPRESS HOMAGE!!!

SHUPPATSU SHINKOU!...or not.

Well with the rate she's plummeting, Joel should be able to see her any second now.

Yep, five seconds in and Joel's already hitting on her.

Cable magnets? But I already cut the cord!

Wow, that is one great shuttle company that...Nippon...

Well at least they got it to where the heat stabilizers can take over.

Oh great, right during rush hour. Seriously, Kelsey hates traffic safety; where's Signalman when you need him?

It's not a bad idea but will they all fit in?

Double-decker; that's a nice combination.

A shuttle on top of a Zord? Um...Kelsey...you're not getting the Astro Megazord with that formation. It won't work.

I still wonder if "Crazy" stands for something else altogether.

Nancy: Hmmm...so if Kelsey can be a Ranger... (Go Five! Go Six!)

Seriously at this point I wouldn't mind pairing Kelsey and Nancy together.

Shut it, Joel, Nancy's got a female friend she's bonding with.

DENJI GATTAI! (oops, wrong season)

Running out of freeway? That didn't stop her before.

Wait where the heck did that freeway go? Did the monster's tornado destroy it or is Mariner Bay so cheap it chose a rocket launch over public maintenance?

We did it; I so want to go to bed with you...er, thanks...

Carter: Well I'm bored so here's some giant hands on my ladders.

DO THE IMPOSSIBLE! SEE THE INVISIBLE! RAW! RAW! FIGHT THE POWER!

Just be happy there was enough to grow, Jinxer.

WHIRLIN? Really after this episode, I'd more expect "Breakin".

Well we just did the unconventional with the zords, so let's do the old expected stuff.

It's hilarious how they have to form the Megazord with Carter's giant hands attaching on it's own.

AND NOW FOR AN OLD FAVORITE: THE BARF BLASTER!

Maybe you should have thrown something other than road debris.

Hey you want to go into space too? We can help you.

Yeah, just throwing a monster away isn't going to work outside the first one.

And this is the problem of putting this episode after the last one.

VICTORY PROMINENCE!

TOUCH THE UNTOUCHABLE! BREAK THE UNBREAKABLE! ROW! ROW! FIGHT THE POWER!

KELSEY! KISS ME YOU BIG MUSCULAR LUNK!

I can't believe you're a Ranger...what about me, huh?

Yeah, Kelsey in space...sorry, you missed your chance after two previous seasons.

This lesbian talk is disgusting. WE DEMONS ONLY BELIEVE IN STRAIGHT RELATIONSHIPS!!!

Thoughts: While for the most part a straight adaptation of an early GoGoFive episode involving Kyoko's introduction, I still really liked the effects and the events of the episode since it just remains something that feels rare in most toku franchises. Considering the early part of the series feels more like something out of a Gerry Anderson show as opposed to the typical "spandex heroes fighting monsters" situation (well all the time, there are still spandex heroes fighting monsters), it's just great to see that sort of thing in a Power Rangers episode as part of what this team has to deal with. The only real lost problem with the episode (aside from questioning how Mariner Bay was able to afford a rocket launch and yet their roads are crumbling) is that Nancy ends up really going nowhere as a character: she's just used here for Kyoko's part and doesn't return as a recurring character or ally for the Rangers...and considering that, it does make me wonder all the more if/how a relationship with Kelsey would have gone if she was closer to her Japanese counterpart.
Old August 11th, 2018, 12:02 PM #3167
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Hey it's the desert! Finally, we find out what happened to Ninjor!
Hey, what's this skeleton?

Wait a minute; this was a Lawrence of Arabia homage? And why didn't they get Omar Sharif for this?
Omar Sharif? Do you really think Power Rangers could get a big-name actor like that? Next thing you know, it's Edward Laurence Albert.

I find it funny that they need to treat this like this is the Sahara yet this is still California. (really, evil can't be in Death Valley? IT HAS 'DEATH' IN IT'S NAME!)
The drought is real, folks.

NO, IT'S THE ARK OF THE COVENANT! RUN BEFORE YOUR FACE MELTS!
Even more dangerous, there's snakes!

Hmm...I wonder how much this is after inflation?
Forget inflation, what about back taxes?

Um...you do realize that thing is rumbling, right? If you open it...then you're at fault for whatever happens the next fourty episodes.
First those astronauts and the space dumpster, now this. When will humans ever learn?

Hey that was quick. Now I wonder why the ruins had so much Egyptian flare if the demons were going to end up in California?
And on this episode of Power Rangers Mixed Mythology...

And cut to a random woman's heels. Um, this is a Ranger show; unless we're getting Trakeena back as Tracey, I doubt we need that scene.
If she's coming back, it'll be for vengeance. Not for preying on men with libido.

And she knows what "they" are. Then again...what are "they"? Ghosts? Demons? Insurance salesmen?
Insurance salesmen.

They couldn't even cover those wreckages in Turbo. And forget trying to get a premium for a spaceship.

And cut to a random cliff. Better not be where Zordon's base used to be.
First it's that space monkey and skeleton, then it's that pillaging space pirate in a submarine, then it's rock climbers, then it's government agents. Is everyone finding this thing?

I believe this is an issue of Eminent Domain; seriously this city needs to pay the demons to use thier property for humanity.
The municipal lawyers will just hit back with an abandoned property argument. And do they really want to fight city hall?

Oh no, Joel just hit the self-destruct! Where the heck is 6 when you need it!?
The government hasn't perfected robot technology. They're no ancient Eltarians.

"I told you no touching!"
Fairweather's first lesson for Joel about workplace sexual harassment.

That's it: when you become a Ranger, first thing I'm doing is removing all hand functions.
Fairweather's second lesson for Joel about workplace sexual harassment.

Joel Rawlings: shortest Ranger career ever.
Mika? Where's Mika? Anyone see Mika?

Yep, a warlock did it. Not a wizard...and definitely not a space wizard.
Dang it, Zordon.

That's it, I quit: if you don't have a talking robot or giant animals in rubber suits, then I'm not doing this!
Dealbreaker, huh? Better not go off to that bug show they're preparing in Japan.

"Really, why do we get demons? Why not evil space aliens like Angel Grove?"
There's no such thing as space aliens.

Five? Seriously, I was thinking it was going to be J.A.K.Q. with you as Joker, dad.
And I thought they were going with a Sun Vulcan plus Misa situation.

Yep, all that paramedic training, all those lost thousands...all for you to fight demons. Go get 'em, daughter!
"This wasn't part of our clinical rotation training! Wait, why did you give me clinical rotations? I'm a paramedic?"

I find it hilarious that GoGoFive is a family team...yet the only "family" we get is between the equivalent of Mondo and Matsuri.
Symptom of Power Rangers trying to be multicultral. Don't expect that much of it when they adapt Magiranger or Puppetman.

OK so a Jeep. So...how do we use it underwater?
It's no ordinary jeep, it's an extraordinary jeep! Oh, they didn't contract it out to Zordon? It's an ordinary jeep, how do they use it underwater?

Wait the monster is Psycho Red? So that's what happened after "To the Tenth Power"
They can never catch a break, in life or afterlife, whether ghost or demon. Someone's always using them.

Damn you Mitchell: why doesn't your cool vehicle have any windows!?
That's how they keep it cool. No need for air conditioning.

BEWARE MONSTER: WE'RE POINTING FINGERS AT YOU AND THEY'RE LOADED!
Hey, pointing fingers and making enemies recoil is Ryouma's job.

Forget karate action: I'VE GOT A GUN!
Pew pew pew

Chad, you're not Tommy. Don't try to make up martial arts noises like him.
Chad, listen to what Cassie has to say about who invented martial arts.

And unlike Carter, Dana prefers a sword.
There's a fighter with some class. And you know what? It's not as often when the girls prefer the swords in Power Rangers.

Hey, some of us like burnt toast.
Mmm... carcinogens...

OK, I like that civilians actually know the Rangers are Rangers this season and there's zero secret identity. This feels more in line with "Countdown to Destruction" than anything on Terra Venture.
When they say they serve the public, they mean it. That's one thing that makes it stand out in premise. It's also probably a symptom of Tzachor wanting to do more Sentai copying, but that's not a bad thing here.

Hey don't crowd them; this place is still claustraphobic and underwater.

Joel: Guys? Seriously in my old job, all my fans were girls!
Just get used to doing it both ways, you'll be fine.

At least Diabolico wants to get to the point. How long did Rita or Dark Spectre or Trakeena take until deciding "let's destroy the Rangers base first"?
Well, to be fair to Trakeena, she first wanted attention, then she wanted personal revenge, then things escalated rapidly after the Lost Galaxy incident.

While for Dark Spectre, the Astro Megaship was a moving base, and they always targeted it in some way.

"I never thought I'd fall for someone in a labcoat."
Remember, always wear protection. Against lab chemicals.

Seriously? I thought the line was "Danger is my middle name"...upon which I say Joel's probaly lying but...
Well, good thing he's not Carlos Danger.

So...now you know I'm the Green Ranger. Want to date me Kim...er, Tanya...Ashley...dang it Damon never had a crush on anyone!
Damon was married to the job. Damon's actor, on the other hand...

Rangers, this is Miss Fairweather...aka, the reason Joel's late. (and probably fired)
Fairweather's third lesson to Joel about workplace sexual harassment.

Yep, we must protect our city; our precious city we stole from demons...wait what?
Sometimes it's not about ancient history, whether the Bio Alliance or the Anti-Bio Union started everything. Sometimes it's about the present... Joel, it's not appropriate to give her a present now.

Meet your new vehicles...and all we needed was a bit of IMAJIEEEESHON!!!
Choo choo hell yeah

Really without Carter around this team would be falling apart. (then again Joel so...)
Considering that Carter comes from a professional role, with a position of leadership (instead of being solitary), it sort of makes sense.

Joel, the brief: your wannabe girlfriend made us trains. Put those flowers away and get back out there!
Fairweather's fourth lesson to Joel about workplace sexual harassment.

A bullet train...now I know it's stock footage cause California will never get that.
I've tried calling Elon Musk about that. California's stuck with ordinary trains in the meantime.

Joel...are you just showing off cause of Fairweather?
Fairweather's fifth lesson to Joel about workplace sexual harassment.

Oh great, now the cables. Kelsey, if your climbing skills are of any use, now's the time.
See, this is where they have attention to detail. Mitchell chose his squad (and groomed his daughter since birth) down to the very skills.

Guys, monster problem...and we're just a sane ED mecha.
ED? There's another train mecha that doesn't have ED... oh, that's not what you meant.

Joel: AND I'LL FORM THE HEAD! (if Miss Fairweather permits me to)
Fairweather's sixth lesson to Joel about workplace sexual harassment.

So...she'll go out with me if I...explode? O...K...
Fairweather's seventh lesson to Joel about workplace sexual harassment.

Yep, I jumped out the window...and spent two weeks in intensive care. Free ice cream every day was definitely a perk.
Totally worth it.

Seriously, I can't see Carter as anything but a fireman myself. Seriously, he's probably the only Red up to now with an aspiration other than "save the world from aliens" (outside maybe TJ)
Hmm? Andros wanted his sister back, Zhane wanted to get laid. Justin wanted stability. Rocky just wants to have fun. Billy... well, it's hard to say if it's really an aspiration considering he already was a great inventor.

That dirt is probably all Joel's going to be eating until he and Fairweather make up.
Mmm... earth power...

Really, they need to bring "Little Suzie" from "Men in Black" into this gallery. Would Carter headshot her like J did?
Hey now, if you start shooting little girls because they're holding calculus textbooks, you'll never get brilliant scientists like Fairweather.

Ugh, Kelsey, you're so heavy with your muscle mass!
Needs a high muscle-to-fat ratio for all that climbing.

Yeah...Bansheera isn't going to like having a Megazord around either. Idea: keep the threats small, then you won't fight it.
Don't want the Rangers to get new and powerful toys? Don't send stronger threats. Don't want the Rangers to get a new ally? Don't recruit a new general who necessitates it. Don't want to be destroyed by the Rangers in the final battle? Don't fight the Rangers in the first place. (Or just fight Liveman.)

Wait, how did Vypra's voice suddenly become so whiny?
Some people just aren't born to be actors.

Vypra: So...I'm a villainess, you're a Red...rivalry? Please?
Wait until he kills your parent.

I have a gun, you have a sword. We already had an Indiana Jones homage two episodes ago...I'm willing to do another
So Carter's going to get a cheap shot in while Dana prepares a battle stance?

Such is the problem in rescue work: civilians or public property? Now what was GoGoFive's slogan again? (KIAI DA!!!...no, the other one)
Drink milk?

And where were you guys when Carter had a moral decision to weigh upon himself?
Rangers with moral decisions? What have they done to the show?

Don't know how it happened? Hmm...parents careless or meth lab I say. I say question if Mr. Snizzard had any association with the place.
Hey, even methheads who get stuck in walls have the right to be rescued too. Don't question it, Carter. And keep that breathing mask on.

And that's what happens when you buy furniture from Ikea.
It's a mess that you're responsible for building?

Gasoline...in a garage...WHOSE BEEN HORDING IT...or siphoning it from customers illegally?
Just what is going on is this city? Who's the real demons, the demons or the humans?

And...another earthquake. I'm hoping this isn't a search for the Lights of Orion.
Ironically, what happens to those this season...

Yep, boss gave me a pat-down; I'm on it.
Fairweather's eighth lesson to Joel about workplace sexual harassment.

Guys, this isn't Fiveman, don't count. (AND NO PUPPETS DESPITE THE TRAINS!!!)
Imagine someone narrating these rescue adventures.

Riding the Edge: aka: ROW! ROW! FIGHT THE POWER!
Hmm? Adam back as forehead guy?

Dog running off...I get Angel Grove's leash laws but Mariner Bay's a completely different beast.
Well, Angel Grove needs leash laws because dogs can just run off and be turned into humans.

Look I get what's happening but I just can't believe Kelsey would leap into the way of oncoming traffic and nearly get herself killed for the sake of that little thing.
Listen to Darwin. Or to Signalman. One or the other, Kelsey.

Eh if this was the real world, then Kelsey probably would have forced several injuries (well that would have gotten Dana work) and been stuck at the station for hours for her troubles. Then I think Mitchell would revoke her powers.
"Let's review, folks. People's lives are the Earth's future. Not dogs who might be magically turned into people."

Yeah I nearly got myself killed for your purebreed but don't think about me.
Some people just do anything to fight for love.

Nancy: She needs to rub my chin like that too.
Chin? Why not cheeks?

Does that brat say anything other than "mama"?
Not even when he grows up will he stop being a mama's boy.

And now the news...and for once it isn't about the Power Rangers saving the day.
What? Other things happen?

Wait...NANCY'S OUR KYOKO HAYASE!? MAKE HER THE RED RANGER, SERIES!!!
Nancy has her own dreams.

Hey Joel, a girl's about to fly higher than you'll ever.
If by "fly higher", you mean "impress a girl", sure.

Four hours!? Millions of dollars for a space shuttle, rocket, fuel, training and whatnot for four hours!?
For science!

Here's the deal: our palace sucks and is trapped in another dimension; you humans took over our lands...and we have the proof.
Hey, the property deed needs to be notarized. And you ate the notary.

Well four hours is four hours...yeah, I guess that's the limit with city budget cuts and not being private like NASADA or GSA.
Couldn't get congressional funding. They're obsessed with some sort of special council.

Look we know you can do this but we know your record, Joel. Moment she lands and you'll be hitting on her and then it gets messy.
Fairweather's ninth lesson to Joel about workplace sexual harassment.

(Okay, in all seriousness, what happens on this show doesn't rise to the level of sexual harassment. And it's a very important issue to keep note of.)

SHUPPATSU SHINKOU!...or not.
Kira, kira, hikaru...

Wow, that is one great shuttle company that...Nippon...
Gotta love their products.

A shuttle on top of a Zord? Um...Kelsey...you're not getting the Astro Megazord with that formation. It won't work.
You know, it could've been the perfect setup for connecting this season to the previous one, but thanks to whatever happened between Lynn and Tzachor, they decided to take the independent route.

Besides, Kelsey has other combinations in mind.

Wait where the heck did that freeway go? Did the monster's tornado destroy it or is Mariner Bay so cheap it chose a rocket launch over public maintenance?
Engineering fail. It's the city that spent millions on a four-hour shuttle ride.

TOUCH THE UNTOUCHABLE! BREAK THE UNBREAKABLE! ROW! ROW! FIGHT THE POWER!
Kelsey and Nancy should totally be playing those lyrics.

While for the most part a straight adaptation
What, I thought it was a lesbian adaptation.
timegold is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2018, 04:27 PM #3168
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Hey, what's this skeleton?
So that's where Rito went! My theory: he thought Ninjor was "Ed" and wanted to move in post-Z Wave.

The drought is real, folks.
Tell that to Trump, Zinke and whoever leads the EPA at this point.

First it's that space monkey and skeleton, then it's that pillaging space pirate in a submarine, then it's rock climbers, then it's government agents. Is everyone finding this thing?
I know there's a map out there but somehow you'd expect Stone Canyon to be way closer to Angel Grove than Mariner Bay. Then again you can make the point that nearly every Ranger season (outside Lost Galaxy and RPM) take place within one small sliver of California coast.

Mika? Where's Mika? Anyone see Mika?
Trust me, if Joel was knocked off here, that would have been minutes. Mika lasted 10 episodes and her voice lasted 6 before it was "pirate'd".

There's no such thing as space aliens.
No, it's "there's no such thing as monsters". After 7 years, Earth probably has seen its share of aliens; heck even Phenomenous gave that up long ago.

Symptom of Power Rangers trying to be multicultral. Don't expect that much of it when they adapt Magiranger or Puppetman.
Puppetman? Wait is that Ninninger or something else?

They can never catch a break, in life or afterlife, whether ghost or demon. Someone's always using them.
You know how revenge gets. Even if it's Rangers you've never seen before, it's always an issue of revenge.

When they say they serve the public, they mean it. That's one thing that makes it stand out in premise. It's also probably a symptom of Tzachor wanting to do more Sentai copying, but that's not a bad thing here.
As a gimmick to make Lightspeed stand out, it works amazingly. As you'll see with the next few episodes, I'm just shocked at how many episode plots never done before can finally be attempted thanks to the idea that "the people know who the Rangers are for once" and the concept of Rangers as civil servants ala Showa...or GoGoFive. As much as people obsess with the "secret identity" of American heroes, having heroes who don't have it can be as interesting if done right and Lightspeed takes advantage.

Well, to be fair to Trakeena, she first wanted attention, then she wanted personal revenge, then things escalated rapidly after the Lost Galaxy incident.

While for Dark Spectre, the Astro Megaship was a moving base, and they always targeted it in some way.
With the bugs/Trakeena, it was always about Terra Venture. Even if it made zero sense (see the Lights of Orion), Terra Venture was involved.

As for Dark Spectre...well Astronema's group basically were the distraction to keep the Rangers busy while the universe was being conquered. It actually was the smartest of plans: let's use the Rangers to handle stupid trivial stuff while the rest of my forces do the heavy lifting and get me closer to universal conquest. Too bad Astronema went insane at the end to ruin that...

Damon was married to the job. Damon's actor, on the other hand...
(goes to RangerWiki...and jaw subsequently drops)

THAT'S WHO HE MARRIED!?!?!? It's about as shocking as Juspion marrying Farrah...or Nangou marrying Leh Nafel!

Drink milk?
Yeah that's probably it. There's something about "People's lives..." but I can't remember it right now.

Just what is going on is this city? Who's the real demons, the demons or the humans?
Considering who was the one who built on top of the demonic burial ground and siphoned gas from all those parked cars...

Imagine someone narrating these rescue adventures.
Wait...puppets...rescues...seriously, this really is a Gerry Anderson show.

Kelsey and Nancy should totally be playing those lyrics.
Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only one who sees Kelsey and Nancy like this.

-----

Lightspeed Rescue: The Abridged Reviews

A Matter of Trust: aka: It's the Real Thing

Rangers, I'm not putting the filter over my voice. I'm not Zordon, get over it now.

This fuel cell is so powerful...HOW POWERFUL IS IT!?!?!?

So fuel cell, sensitive to temperature...hope they weren't raiding Phenomenous' old plutonium stash.

(sees explosion) What is with this town trying to be like Angel Grove!? They don't need that plutonium that bad!

So yeah, we're going to keep this super dangerous fuel cell underwater...that way if it explodes, it will cause this hilarious bubble and no one will notice our new dead zone.

Nothing...hmm...think the demons are as petty as other Ranger villains?

Dana, you're my daughter...thus if the other Rangers get nuked, you survive.

Oh...chauffering service...yeah, still better than fuel cell duty.

Look, I didn't get you enrolled in Uber to make you sassy at me, daughter!

Something tells me this is all a ploy and the blind guy has the fuel cell with the Rangers as a diversion...so really Dana's outrage...I get it but I don't.

Dana, this guy is probably important so don't get cocky.

Yeah I'm with Diabolico: if that fuel cell blows, the town will be too radioactive to live in even for them.

YOU'RE LEAVING THE FUEL CELL DUTY TO IMPUS!?!? WHAT'S IT GOING TO BE, A POOP MONSTER!?!?!?

Here's the problem: without the "family connection" that all the Psyma have (not just Impus), the impact doesn't feel right.

HEY...DOES MY CHEST LOOK A BIT TOO...PROTRUSIVE? AM I SUPPOSED TO BE MALE OR FEMALE?

Loki, don't get angry, it's still Bansheera's son.

I just noticed the badges correspond to the Rangers former occupation...making that random orca on Chad's seem all the sillier.

Did he just call them "whitespeed"? What, so now they're coke dealers?

Hi...so you're the creepy old man daddy told me to pick up. (sigh) This better be worth that Uber account.

His name is "Earl" and he uses "Darn Tootin'"...yep, Dana's in for it.

So instead of dealing with "fission", Dana's dealing with "fishing"...well there probably is plenty down at the Aquabase.

Hey that truck looks vintage! Really, Dana, I think I like this mission way more than the fuel cell.

Meanwhile, back with the boring mission...

Chad: Why am I stuck with the bald guy?

Oh it's just the Batman appreciation society; nothing to fear here folks.

Really, what would Diabolico do with a fuel cell other than "nuke the town"...which as said, is a bad thing for them...

Yeah, maybe it was a bad idea to send a fire-thrower against a fuel cell that has to be kept cold.

How can he stay down if he's out in the open?

Idiot's still standing up...he's not listening to rules...

Dana, drop Earl off and join us...WHAT DO YOU MEAN PREMIUM TIME?

Look, your dad wants to go fishing bad, Dana; just follow orders.

Weren't you there with the whole Carter incident a few episodes ago? Don't mess with your dad.

Screw my dad; I'm going to be a rebellious daughter for once!

Guess the monster found his way around the defenses.

This series really likes to build up suspense with opening things, doesn't it?

Yep...I knew it: Earl's got the fuel cell. Which means...DANA, GET BACK TO AQUABASE NOW YOU BRAT!

Vypra, you just don't like him do you?

It's hilarious when the Rangers are actually told by the MotW that they're just as fooled as him.

Well we don't need you anymore, baldy; you'll get your check later.

Wait there are only four of you...DANG IT, IF THIS WAS J.A.K.Q. I'D BE DOING GREAT!

Eh, I think this city's too cold anyway.

Um...Vypra, isn't letting the monster get the fuel cell a good thing for you guys?

So, what do you fish with? Do you use crawlers or stick with a good fly?

And now to do what I need to: BURN! BURN! BURN TO THE GROUND!!!!!!!

Um...a heat wave? I thought things would just spontaneously combust?

These people are...falling down with heat stroke...yeah, they're just hot, they're not literally on fire.

Hey, doesn't that ring look just like our sword finisher?

I'd say it was a global warming metaphor...but it's more an "ants under a magnifyer" one.

Um, what about all those people; if things fall on them, that's not going to look good on you.

And now the city's burning up. And...spandex isn't going to help here.

Luckily for us we have mechanics in our visor to do this sort of thing.

Seriously, don't you have stronger AC in that truck, Earl?

And now to enjoy the monster's terrible aim for Dana's pursuit scenario.

There goes the ice...but let's hope the fuel cell isn't broken.

Hey, an old ice machine...in an abandoned area...with a Coke machine...I really could use a Coke about now.

The place is abandoned and yet there's still ice in the machine. (only Power Rangers)

OK...Dana...ready to eat your words?

Yeah...it's hard to say now whether Dana's a jerk, Mitchell's not clear enough, or why I just feel in the mood for a Coke about now despite the generic sodas on the front?

You're his daughter; that's why he sent you.

DON'T AIM FOR THE COKE MACHINE; WE HAVEN'T GOTTEN THE REAL THING YET!

Yeesh and here comes Vypra. I knew she was a Moxie fan.

Vypra, your laugh makes you sound silly.

As if it wasn't clear enough: BURN, BURN, BURN TO THE GROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He wants fun in the sun...really, go to a beach, Firor!

Maybe you can hide the fuel cell in the sling.

You look like your mother...well more than your brother Ryan...wait, sorry, I meant..

Like a hot knife through butter!

So we're almost there...think you can swim down without blowing us up?

Oh the water; we went to a convenience store on the way here...accidentally spilled it all over.

Random dockside equipment, away!

Well they're gone. My job here is done.

Scowl at the water and make a ridiculous slow fist!

Thank goodness dad had a random sub lying around by that dock.

Yep, we made it. Just make sure the thing didn't crack cause I don't think we need to nuke this base this early in the season.

Yeah I'm a wethead but I think the helmet has a heating system.

I'm sick of dealing with cold things today: time for some BBQ!

Salute and finger move!

Yeesh, now he's literally on fire.

Rope Action!

Hey, want to see this virtual display I set up right here? Pretty cool, right?

Might as Well Jump (JUMP!)

QUINTUPLE TARZAN ATTACK!

FIREBALL, YUM!!!

SHOT DOWN (DOWN) IN A BLAZE OF GLORY!

Well if he wants to blow us up, may as well take advantage of it.

Why not have a consistent growth spell like Rita, Jinxor?

Really, more Megazords need pneumatic arms.

Sort of ironic that the fire monster is about to get burned.

AND I HAD SO MANY MORE FIRE PUNS TO USE!!! (dies)

Mitchell: Seriously, why do I still need to do paperwork for a Ranger squad? No other mentor has done paperwork...

Dad, yeah...I'm sorry...but seriously, why didn't you just tell me Earl was that important?

Yeah, you were a complete success...unlike that deadbeat brother of yours but let's not go there.

Really if he was Mondo he'd be worried about all his Rangers, not just Dana.

Aww...but seriously, when are he and Earl going fishing?

Thoughts: It's interesting that this season decides to make Mitchell and Dana related but don't do the same thing in making the entire Ranger squad a family...in fact, we never have had a full family team in Power Rangers so having that would have been unique for this or later seasons. Regardless, while the story is cliche here with the whole "I trust you but I don't" situation Dana goes through, I do think it works in that obviously Mitchell is going to give his own daughter the real mission and thus put the other Rangers out as a decoy to make sure the demons don't get to the fuel cell. (I still don't get what demons need a fuel cell for but what do you expect with a franchise where the villains get their hands on anything that cause chaos and confusion.) In the same manner of not getting why we don't get a family of Rangers, the same can be said for the demons here, especially with Loki's confusion of Impus making a MotW feeling a bit out of place...and then there's Vypra but she's just out of place and bizarre regardless.

Wheels of Destruction: aka: The Uber-Go-Kart of Doom

Fairweather; at least have a CGI-based computer instead of one that looks like it's from a Barbie toy set.

And here comes Joel...prepare for pain.

You, me, making science, combining things...DAMN YOU MITCHELL, I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF SOMETHING!

Duty now, flirting never.

Eh, the jackets aren't that necessary for the uniform when spandex is involved.

Nice wipe.

Batlings already? Why not at least do something first?

Great, the Batlings are convulsing, they're losing their effectiveness already.

Chad, stop with the sound effects. It's not becoming a thing. Ever.

More fire puns? But we just dealt with Firor!

Pounding the pavement's a good thing. I mean these are our first pavement pounding Rangers so...

That's less pavement and more just random tiles flying about.

Dang, no remnants for Jinxor? Yeah...I guess this is where they just start dumping MotW due to less airing time.

The sound...it's...the Batmobile?

OK, who gave the demon lady a ridiculous go-kart!?

Meh, still not as cool as Zhane's.

What's that thing made of to resist lasers like that?

Joel, that's not going to impress Fairweather. Give up.

VYPARRI!? IT'S A MODIFIED GO-KART WITH A CGI SHIELD!

Luckily we have a Jeep...WITH SEATBELTS!

We really need to mount stronger weapons so we don't just use our blasters.

She's getting...eh, she got away. Damn it.

Oh, a sneak attack. Effective.

I get the need for rescue but that Jeep really needs mounted weapons to deal with...that thing.

Really all that thing does is make Vypra into Divatox with an effective mode of transportation.

Great, flames from the wheels. SHE'S HIT 88 MPH!!!

Seriously, the purple flames are for show; she didn't travel through time...not that we know of.

And that's what happens when you drive through the bad part of Mariner Bay.

Vypra has a stupid-sounding vehicle that kicked our butts. Shameful, I know.

Seriously, a demon with a car that good...how can this be?

That was a test? Eh, not sure it felt like one considering how easily she creamed you five.

Yep, burned to a crisp and only the sixth episode. Maybe we can keep it for spare parts?

She has an idea...maybe if you throw Joel in she'll get angry enough to release it.

Diabolico has a point: if the stupid car is that powerful, why not finish the job?

Oh so it's an electric Vyparri? Really, the demons are just that innovative and green.

Your car is good but your acting still stinks.

SERIOUSLY, YOU NEED A MORE MANLY VEHICLE! WE NEED A LOKI ROVER!

When in doubt, throw a monster out. I think that rhymed.

Yep, giant elephant with big feet. Don't think Vypra can drive with that guy around.

Vypra: Seriously, I finally have something good that doesn't rely on my acting and this happens. I'm outta here.

And...Joel. I knew the best ideas would come from that jerk interfering.

Joel, she's building you a new vehicle, the answer is still no.

Here all those clanks and whirling? It's a surprise.

Joel; turn your ego and other things down and let her do her work!

I think he took the only pic of her that wasn't of Fairweather scowling.

Carter, don't encourage the jerk. Really Kelsey has a better chance with Nancy than he does with Fairweather.

Me is code for "all of us"...

A super-sonic jetpack...really if Fairweather wanted your team to fly, she'd given you wings...and made all of you fight each other for half a season.

The charm...and other things...

Chad, if you want to make it with girls, talk to Kelsey. Joel isn't your man.

Code Red...finally we can shut up about Joel and his hormones!

Well that was fixed up quickly.

A fire extinguisher? Your team has weapons that can put out fires and you just go with the generic fire extinguisher?

What could have done this? A lot of things in this franchise.

Oh...the Vyparri...can't say if I'm shocked or impressed.

So now we're going to do the "Better Off Dead" bit? But that means Loki's going to voice Howard Cossell!

Yeah, her vehicle is smaller and more aerodynamic...let alone no weapons can break through the shielding...or the paintjob.

Joel, don't say that or else you'll be putting up Wil E. Coyote signs.

So...when is Carter getting his tiny umbrella of doom?

Yeah she destroyed things with a ridiculous go-kart. Isn't that ridiculous?

Yep, an entire city, tormented by a flying winged demon in a go-kart. What have we come to?

Hoo boy...I think they're getting something awesome with Mitchell's response...

Hey Joel, that thing Fairweather was making for you...it's done.

The panel's still plastic. Is Fairweather hiding something?

Joel...it's not just for you.

Personal? So then you made a Ranger suit to deal with Vypra yourself?

Oh...team motorcycles...that works too...

Lightspeed Cycles...so do they move at lightspeed?

Yep, we just got more maneuverable.

Joel really, really wanted that jetpack, didn't he?

Building an "ow"? Is that Chad for "jetpack"?

Monster? OK, hold on the bikes, we can handle it with the Jeep.

PREPARE TO FEEL THE POWER OF STOCK FOOTAGE!

He can turn the ground into magma? Well it makes sense now why they're fire fighters: they seem to release fire with everything.

Eh, that city's probably seen worse than a magma flow burning things up.

YOU CAN'T STOP ME...except Carter's already calling for the finisher so...

And...yep, they stopped him.

Stock footage time over; time for toy commercial time!

I swear that Vypra's having an easy time cause Elestomp set it up for her.

Yeah...bikes...they're more maneuverable than a go-kart so...nice knowing you, Vypra.

We had to see the exhaust fumes, to further prove how anti-environmental...er, manly they are.

I did it first so you're just copying me.

Animaniacs Voice: RIGHT!

Five targets is harder to hit than one sitting duck.

Wait now the guns can hit her? Or is it cause they're attacking the sides?

Sure backwards driving is going to benefit you? What if you hit something?

And now it's time for Ranger/Villain Chicken!

If lasers hit other lasers, I don't think it leads to deflection.

Guess it got through her shields. About time.

I'M TAKING THIS TO THE SHOP FOR BETTER WEAPONRY...

What did Vypra learn? That "Vyparri" is a crappy name for a car?

The lifejacket probably means Fairweather went for a swim.

And...he's still flirting. Joel, no date, no jetpack, give up.

Dana this isn't important. Ignore it and go on your way.

This is a set-up...it has to be a set-up.

Thank you Lightspeed regulations. Maybe we should have had this around for the regular Rangers too.

Paint the town Red...maybe by placing this red paint on your tires!

Yeah, she faked it but seriously Joel deserved it.

(to dramatic music from the end of a Gorenger episode) GANBARE, JOEL! GANBARE GO GREEN! (tsudzuku)

Thoughts: Considering she's the only human actor among the villains, it's obvious Vypra would get a lot of the early focus. That doesn't mean it's good focus since she just continues to be way more petty than Astronema or Trakeena were even at this point. Not saying that she isn't powerful because as stupid as it was, they did at least create legitimate threat with the Vyparri, but it still is rather silly that her big focal weapon is a stupid go-kart with CGI shields and mounted weapons. I did like it did awaken the engineer in Miss Fairweather and got us our team bikes for the season, though; getting team bikes may be crass commercialism, especially on a team that didn't have bikes in the Sentai, but it always feels great having the Rangers play around with something that they can drive and attack with on their own. On the other hand...I'm just so sick of the interplay between Joel and Fairweather already and just sort of wish that wasn't the only facet to Mr. Rawlings character.

Cyborg Rangers: aka: Lightspeed, Kyukyu no Saiborgu

Another day, another monster. Really don't they know anything?

Do like seeing the Rangers on duty to make sure the civilians are alright in the midst of these attacks.

That better be actual work and not just Fairweather being a tsundere for Joel.

More lightning? Sorry, not this season; but maybe if you were around with the Thunderzords...

Don't be so cocky; the Rangers tend to do their best when the monsters get super-cocky.

Wait what...it's crossover time already? But I don't think Lost Galaxy had lasers like that.

Oh, it's Zordon's Robot Rangers back from Eltar...or they built new copies of them.

They got antenna on their head. Sure they're Riders and not Rangers?

Having an entire army of Rangers actually isn't such a bad idea for a franchise concept or for a season to delve into...obviously this won't be it but just giving that as an aside.

SURRENDER, CREEP!

ME, BEATEN BY A BUNCH OF ROBOTS!? THAT'S IT, I'M NOT FALLING FOR THAT EMBARRASSMENT!!!

Eh, such is the problem with a Ranger controlled by remote control.

Oh..from the way you said "hello", you sound like an arrogant jerk who needs to learn a lesson.

Cyborg Rangers...that are Robots...um, aren't cyborgs partially human? So...they're Robot Rangers...but they're called Cyborg Rangers...eh, my brain hurts.

Yeah, you know how things get; leave you with a taste to question your own existence before you prove themselves better. You know how it goes.

Wait, there's a second Lightspeed department? That's new to me.

Oh great, fully awarded general with a baton...that's not good.

General McKnight? I would have expected something from the Hartford family about robot developments. (then again McKnight is also a name associated with a future Red...I'd say evil relative but...yeah, his mentor)

Look, if we told you what those Rangers were for, it wouldn't be a secret!

Yep, they never make mistakes...wait did they take this plot from the Megaranger episode with the Galaxy Mega AI?

See those fleshpods with their worries and lusts (mainly Joel)? Yep, they're the problems.

Seriously: us, those five, we're a squad of ten!

Replace us? Really..but we were just starting to get along!

Kids? Eh, more like young adults; this isn't "Teenagers with Attitude" anymore, McKnight.

Wanna see tough? Kelsey will rip off her jacket here and now and show you!

Yeesh, balding geek and his general master want to replace us. How the heck did we come to this?

Two words: "You're Fired".

Yeah, Chad's got kung-fu grip and won't let go of his Morpher if you force him.

Eh, considering Mitchell's the sane one here, may as well listen.

Giving up their Ranger powers and it's only episode 7. That was a quick season.

Joel: Seriously, without this I won't get anywhere with Fairweather...then again I haven't yet so...

Don't give him puppy-dog eyes, Fairweather, it'll make him think you care.

If you want Cyborg Rangers, make real Cyborgs, not these...robots.

Diabolico nothing: what about all the millions invested that are now wasted from Mitchell's own side?

ALL YOU DO IS EAT, SLEEP AND POOP! CAN'T YOU DO ANYTHING MORE USEFUL, IMPUS!?!?

Really its ridiculous that Impus is more important to the grand scheme than the rest of them.

No that's not mama...that's a bad actress in a ridiculous costume.

Crush the rangers like flies...eh, Jinxor should have taken offense from that line.

Not much you can study. It's just a bunch of robots with their USB ports plugged in.

Platinum...I would have gone with titanium myself, McKnight.

Programmed...and that's the opening we need to prove they aren't that good.

Yep, this is the Galaxy Mega AI episode "reprogrammed". But hey, it has robot Rangers so it isn't that similar.

See how my Lightspeed logo is white and red? Yep, I'm evil.

You know you five do have jobs when you weren't Rangers. If McKnight's going to be a jerk, go back to those.

Are cyborgs better than you? Well J.A.K.Q. is a good team but...still, this isn't J.A.K.Q., this is evil robots!

Dana: Who knew my dad was such a pushover?

LIGHTNING STRIKE ME AGAAAAAIN!

So random spikes lead to lightning hitting a building from it's top...um, what about aiming?

The Robot Ranger teleported in like it was Ecliptor...IT IS EVIL!

Wait are you trying to direct attention regarding the Cyborg Rangers or get the civilians over there?

I sort of wish playing Atari was enough to make me a Power Ranger commander.

Someone really needs to tell McKnight the difference between robots and cyborgs.

This reminds me: I heard Lightspeed's video game is one of the best Ranger video games ever made.

They even have better teamwork than the regular Rangers.

Cyborg Rescue Blasters? Why not just use the regular Rescue Blasters the Lightspeed Rangers have?

Um...they're robots...hitting them is OK cause it isn't like they're going to die?

And...down like that. Haven't these things been programmed with willpower?

"It's impossible..." (um...just out of the lab...)

Yeah no powers...but hey, Mitchell did recruit them.

And like the first episode, Joel and Kelsey don't want the resposbility. Still can fire them and leave it to Carter, Dana and Chad you know.

Hey, they have guts after all. Guess you can program guts.

And...this is where the robot rebellion begins. Seriously, the demons just need to help develop Skynet (or Venjix) and they can create Ranger robot clones to conquer the Earth!

Not sure how or why I am doing this but...I think I should blame this on Tommy too. (or does that only exist for dinosaur-related disasters...eh always Doctor K)

What are they doing? What robots always do in pop culture: rebel against humanity.

McKnight, you're the one who sent that idiot to control your Cyborg Rangers...recall him.

Of course it can happen; haven't you read up on what robots do?

Even Self Destruct is disabled? That was one effective lightning bolt.

Oh come on; killing the idiots would have made it less embarrassing than what they're going through now.

Hmmm...nah, giving the Cyborg Rangers morphers won't suddenly morph their hearts...

When the heck did they get inside that building to do that sneak attack?

The hand pushed out continues to make me think thy're the Megaranger.

OK, who put the nitro-glycerine into those boxes?

Oh...Robo-Kelsey and Robo-Dana...well we know the real Kelsey's a powerhouse so it makes sense.

Carter: Eh, you're dumb but you're not hopeless enough to sacrifice.

Hey the mask fell off...and even their breather looks sinister; I really like how they turned out.

THAT'S IT; WE'LL RUN THEM OVER WITH THE JEEP!

CARTER, CATCH...and if you drop it, you're paying all of Fairweather's research money back for all the ruined equipment!

Rangers vs. Robots...ohhh, it's on!

I hate to say this but it just feels cooler in concept than even fighting the Machine Empire.

Dr. Harlan: Well that takes a lot off my shoulders.

ROBO-DANA HAS FIREBALLS AND LASERBEAMS!? WHY DIDN'T SHE USE THEM AGAINST THE MONSTER!?

Chad: Seriously, platinum? Are you sure the self destruct would have even worked if it did go off?

At least Robo-Joel almost took real Joel's gun...wonder if he had Joel's Fairweather crush too?

I feel sick with how Joel was spin-shooting it.

Idea: if you aim for the antenna, maybe it would be a way to shut their radio signals down.

That's it; if hitting it's leg won't work, why not the crotch leg?

OH YEAH!...no wait, it's Carter vs. Robo-Carter, no Kool-Aid Man.

Yeah we're sort of done with robo-rebellions for the time being so placing it as history isn't a bad thought.

It's doing the slow walk...yep, ready to be blasted to death by Carter.

That was gruesome; it's face just blew off as it fell apart.

Meh, the good part's done, time for the stock footage.

Those weren't spikes, just regular background explosions.

Your trick involves the baton mode? What sort of trick is that?

Ah yes, utter beatdown mode; that's a good trick.

Time to give this lightning guy the bird!

Um...considering it still has clutter to grow, it isn't much of a mission end.

And now it's suddenly cloudy. One more advantage for Strikning.

Hoo boy, it's set up lightning rods; that's going to short some circuits.

When in doubt, redirect the attack. (I forgot how creative these fights got)

Well with the real Rangers back on the job, the Cyborg Ranger creators look awkward.

Yeah...we screwed up big time in over relying on technology. But this is the only time you'll hear me say that.

More like four wise choices and his own daughter.

Oh come on; having a higher rank for Mitchell to deal with is a good foil! Creates dramatic tension!

Harlan: So...can I take some of Fairweather's equipment for research?

OK, the Cyborg Ranger crew is gone...CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES, COME ON!

Thoughts: This is an episode that I think has been a long time coming in this franchise but that really couldn't be done until we actually had other outside elements within the group making the Rangers to allow for it. The idea of "Cyborg Rangers" working as a potential rival to real Power Rangers is a great concept, with the feel that they could work either alongside or even against the Rangers in different circumstances; sure we had the "Robot Rangers" back in Turbo, but they were basically more part of a weird sci-fi story and only used for a one-shot that had no real implications or concepts beyond that one episode (outside some who think they returned for the Legendary Battle). Here it basically is an adaptation of a Megaranger story (with maybe a bit of the Neo-Jetman) and shows both the strength and the weakness of calling in something else, especially machines, to take the place of humans in combatting against the demons. It's sadly something we're not going to probably see more into until we get to Operation Overdrive or RPM, but as is it's a great little idea and I'm happy we got it even if, again, it really has nothing that affects the series in the long run. My only nitpick: if they're robots, stop calling them "Cyborgs".

Up to the Challenge: aka: No Mercy, No Surrender

Oh great, Jason, Zack and Trini are scuba-diving again!

Yeah I know it's Chad but whenever I see scuba diving footage in Power Ranngers, all I can think of are the infamous Jason/Zack/Trini scenes.

Kelsey: Seriously, you may swim in the morning but some of us like sleeping late.

Good morning...what weird food do you want blended in? I got all my cooking lessons from Ernie.

Yep, Chad's friends with fish. He's nuts. (or a potential princess...nah, he'd need to be a corporation heir too)

Not during Kelsey's smoothie time! Unlike the Rangers of old, she sort of needs her protein shakes!

We really are the worst demolition company around if we can't destroy a city.

Hey Vypra almost started acting...and then she became dubbed in and it was ruined again. Close but no cigar.

All I can imagine with a MotW named "Smoggor" is someone who is probably going to ruin the air around here.

Oh, so breathing exercises and meditation...that could be useful to Kelsey but she has her own ways.

I don't get it; why did I bring my Walkman if I can't use it?

Yeah, Kelsey's about as calm as a bull in a China shop...

I think the word is "alpha female" but it isn't something that is that easy for Chad to say.

A little over-excited? That's why she's into extreme sports you know.

Hey, a motorcycle. We have those too!

And...this is probably one of the reasons why having a public Ranger team is a problem; due to jerks like this who insult them like that.

Sike, like I'd shake hands with a loser like a Ranger!

And I bet you're nothing without your tight leopard-skin pants!

Fisticuffs? Right here? With Chad and Kesley arguing?

Really this guy is doing what Bulk and Skull could have done if they knew back in season 1.

Yeah, Chad has good self-esteem. Too bad Kelsey's a fireball ready to explode.

She seems like the brains if he's taking her mouthing.

No not the towel! Now how is Chad going to survive when Earth is demolished?

Hand to the ear...that's probably mocking him, isn't it?

And that's how you deal with someone touching your towel.

Yep, Brian's just dumb muscle for her. This isn't going to end well.

Well I'd like to keep this petty squabble going but...duty calls.

RUN AWAY!

OK, seeing Smoggor hold those things together like that just makes one have the wrong impression.

Well time to do what rescue Rangers do...well more than other Ranger teams.

About time we see how Kelsey's works when she isn't just catching space shuttles.

It's a combo claw/steam shovel!

How would you know it works every time? Have you taken statistics?

Another rescue successful. This is why this team is so memorable.

She can't feel that noogie you know; helmets are hard.

HOW DO YOU KNOW HIS NAME IS SMOGGOR!? IS THERE A COMPUTER DATABASE OF THE DEMONS MONSTERS YOU PULL UP IN YOUR VISOR!?

Um...Brian...why are you here in the monster's area? Won't that just force you to confront Chad?

Oh no, he's rolling into the building, where he's going to...um...

I'd say we got him but that smoke's probably going to be seeping out of the crack at any moment.

Kelsey, something tells me that smoke when it hits your shot is going to just go boom.

Kelsey...the door's becoming swiss cheese...and the smoke's coming out...

A backdraft? Wouldn't that be something Carter's more used to than Chad?

The monsters this season sure love to use fire.

And one more squib from the ground for good measure.

Well that handles those two...now all I have are the Patranger colors!

Brian, if you take advantage of this then you're no better than the demons.

Kelsey: I get it...Tai Chi really is a good means of controlling my body and my anger!

More like one Ranger; Chad's alright but Kelsey's seen better days.

He's using gas to blow up Mariner Bay...GET THE BEANS!

Yeah I think Brian's starting to realize that the Rangers deal with crap that isn't your typical situations.

A spy? Nah, Brian's too overt to be a spy.

HE WANTS TO JOIN THE DEMONS!? Well...its actually something we've never seen before.

If this was Diabolico I wouldn't mind...but seriously, Vypra!?

And now Brian's one of the Lost Boys.

Didn't expect Kelsey to be hit that badly by that. Sure she can at least have a replacement; maybe even fix one of the Cyborg Rangers?

Should have, could have...you can't change the past and Kelsey is Kelsey.

Oh great, the Batlings were spying the hospital? There's nothing here for them...or do they want to give Get Well cards to Kelsey too?

Eh, Batlings seem rather inarticulate so even if it is a trap, I won't realize it.

Batling should have at least given me the scroll the right way around.

Brian really has gained creepy handwriting from Vypra; let alone that hole doesn't quite look right either.

From that place? Eh that doesn't feel like it's going to reach the whole city.

NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-BATLINGS!!!

Wait: black gi, snake theme...he's not from the Lost Boys...HE'S A STUDENT OF COBRA-KAI!

So guy in gi ready to fight vs. Chad and his red jacket...this is going to be interesting.

He does. Do you realize how much Vypra spent on that brainwashing?

I don't need your help...I JUST NEED MY RED EYES AND MY ANGER!!!

Seriously, Kelsey, the bandage looked like a bandana. In this case with what's going on with Chad, it would have been awesome.

Oh hey Fairweather. This better not be about Joel.

Really someone needs to fix the computers in the Aquabase to not look like plastic models.

Wait...that's just a Lightspeed Cycle with a side-car...and from the colors...HEY, AT LEAST USE KELSEY'S AND NOT CARTER'S!

Oh and tell Joel he's still not getting that jetpack.

Admittedly I like that Fairweather's developing all this stuff over Mondo...

NO MERCY, NO SURRENDER!

Come on...I know Tai Chi and it isn't just a meditation style.

Damn, right in the solar plexus!

I always knew the monster would be a huge Jerry Lee Lewis fan.

Suddenly all I can think of is the "ball conversation" by Ponko in Sailor Moon SuperS. (at least there's still no "kintama")

KILLER SIDE-CAR, GO!

Who did I expect? Well Robo-Kelsey to join with Brian and kill us all.

Hard to keep a good Ranger down...tell that to Chad.

And...STAY DOWN!

Who said Tai Chi was just for meditation now?

Hard for me to say it's over when his eyes are still in need of Ben Stein's drops.

Oh come on, Batlings, at least let Brian slap it away in anger.

Do it...or my bad acting is going to annoy you some more!

My fight? Um...you did become a tool of Vypra to gain that power you know.

Evil looking snarl....evil looking snarl...

So he's still brainwashed but he's hitting Batlings....which is it?

So you punch a Batling to clear up red eyes. That's...convenient or awesome?

Looks like Chad gained another ally...that probably won't appear after this episode ala Nancy.

Yeah...sorry for acting like a bully...I always thought the spandex made the man.

And speaking of proving yourself...here's Carter proving he's no match for Smoggor and his big balls.

Nah, more like 1 down, 4 to go...1/5 is a lot harder for you than 1/4.

Come on Carter; I get its your bike but Kelsey and Chad were having a thing!

Right into...boxes!? Boxes won't kill...no wait there's the wall. They got it.

I think this is the first time a MotW has been killed by a hit-and-run.

Come on Kelsey, listen to Chad!

Hey Kelsey, if you saw Chad earlier, you'd know tai chi can kick butt too.

Eh it's just a placebo effect; you'll be as frantic as ever later.

And here's Brian. I guess he's "surrendered" if he's not in Cobra Kai mode anymore.

He's changed...but where is that woman bossing him around before in the snake-skin?

What can Chad learn from Kelsey...probably how to bench-press 200?

Well at least it hit the head and not the nose.

Oh...I get it...that's what Kelsey can teach Chad about...TENNIS!

As I mentioned before: I definitely think Kelsey would be more useful than Joel. Kelsey made a girlfriend, Joel's just making hot air.

Chad: IS THIS MORE PROOF THAT KELSEY'S A LESBIAN!?

Thoughts: I really like the double-focus of the episode, adapting while finding it's own ways with the two many stories that are presented here. On one hand we have the Sentai version of the episode, which is an adaptation of the one where Daimon gets hurt and Nagare blames himself for the incident. In this case, I actually prefer this version because we see how explosive Kelsey is and how calm and focused Chad is prior to the incident that ends up hurting both of them in the process, with Kelsey in particular needing the lesson to learn to have better focus and not let her obsessive drive push her over the edge. On Chad's side, we have the storyline with Brian, which is a neat element where we finally have someone stand up to a Power Ranger and say "you're not so tough". It's something I think is another story element a long time coming considering that Lightspeed is the first truly public Ranger squad, with the public sometimes wondering how or why Mitchell chose these five as Rangers and the five of them needing to prove themselves likewise. While it's weird that he would want to gain power from Vypra, I do like the idea of a human working with the villain and being forced to learn a lesson about why the hero is who they are; sure he gets cured rather easily near the end but it's a 30 minute episode and you still have to teach kids a lesson. I really am loving how this season both uses the footage it has while actually entering into new territory it would have never gotten away with during the last seven seasons with the set-up as it is...even if still bound by toy ads in some respects.
Old August 11th, 2018, 06:17 PM #3169
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

No, it's "there's no such thing as monsters". After 7 years, Earth probably has seen its share of aliens; heck even Phenomenous gave that up long ago.
Evidence of there being aliens on Earth - especially ones who made public announcements like the Aquitians - is exactly why people would say there's no such thing as aliens. See: "There's no such thing as monsters."

Rangers, I'm not putting the filter over my voice. I'm not Zordon, get over it now.
K.

Um, I mean, okay.

Dana, you're my daughter...thus if the other Rangers get nuked, you survive.
Mmm... iodized salt...

Did he just call them "whitespeed"? What, so now they're coke dealers?
Morphine, meth, coke, just what has this franchise gotten into? What's next, "oregano"?

So instead of dealing with "fission", Dana's dealing with "fishing"...well there probably is plenty down at the Aquabase.
Eh, one you have to worry about a few neutrons, the other you have to worry about a few sturgeons.

Yeah, maybe it was a bad idea to send a fire-thrower against a fuel cell that has to be kept cold.
Phenomenous had an idea?

Screw my dad; I'm going to be a rebellious daughter for once!
Parents have a weird way of looking after their children's interests. More on that later, but for now, sometimes parents might assume something's understood without realizing what their children are thinking.

Um...a heat wave? I thought things would just spontaneously combust?
It's a slow-releasing exothermic reaction.

And now the city's burning up. And...spandex isn't going to help here.
What, but those things were built for rescue missions, surely they can withstand a bit of temperature gradient.

Hey, an old ice machine...in an abandoned area...with a Coke machine...I really could use a Coke about now.
Didn't we just talk about "whitespeed"?

DON'T AIM FOR THE COKE MACHINE; WE HAVEN'T GOTTEN THE REAL THING YET!
And we won't get as much in advertising royalties!

Like a hot knife through butter!
Mmm... melted saturated fat...

Mitchell: Seriously, why do I still need to do paperwork for a Ranger squad? No other mentor has done paperwork...
Those other ones had digital records.

Dad, yeah...I'm sorry...but seriously, why didn't you just tell me Earl was that important?
Sometimes, the control of the flow of information is crucial to the success of the mission. Even if that means deceiving allies to set up a distraction. Probably, this would be more expected in the spy genre over the rescue genre, but it works.

Fairweather; at least have a CGI-based computer instead of one that looks like it's from a Barbie toy set.
At least it doesn't look like something from the 70's such as those Star Wars graphics. Or something from the 80's like those bulky Denziman/Goggle V things.

The sound...it's...the Batmobile?
Nah... nah... na na na na na na Batman!

OK, who gave the demon lady a ridiculous go-kart!?
Divatox must've abandoned it when she was recalled by the UAE.

Great, flames from the wheels. SHE'S HIT 88 MPH!!!
October 26, 1985

People find weird doors, and it's up to Changeman to rescue them.

Great Scott!

Vypra: Seriously, I finally have something good that doesn't rely on my acting and this happens. I'm outta here.
I've got to wonder how that casting process went. Surely they could've found better talent? Surely the pool of Asian actresses, despite being kind of restrictive that decade, didn't lead to that being the best option? Out of all of the things Wild Force is criticized for, Toxica's acting isn't usually problematic, so what happened with Vypra? (Although on the other hand, they found other solutions for Nadira, Marah, and Kapri.)

A super-sonic jetpack...really if Fairweather wanted your team to fly, she'd given you wings...and made all of you fight each other for half a season.
Oh dear. This team probably couldn't handle a love triangle, with the gravity of what they have to deal with professionally. Better leave it to Changeman-style jetpacks.

Code Red...finally we can shut up about Joel and his hormones!
I'm guessing that'd be a Code Green.

Yep, an entire city, tormented by a flying winged demon in a go-kart. What have we come to?
What has this world come to. It's like a space pirate travelling around in a submarine and tormenting a small town by driving a gas-guzzler.

Lightspeed Cycles...so do they move at lightspeed?
Error: violates Lorentz invariance. Must respect causality.

Sure backwards driving is going to benefit you? What if you hit something?
Side airbags.

Another day, another monster. Really don't they know anything?
Monsters, what monsters?

They got antenna on their head. Sure they're Riders and not Rangers?
Kamen Rider 5-5-5? What a concept!

Having an entire army of Rangers actually isn't such a bad idea for a franchise concept or for a season to delve into...obviously this won't be it but just giving that as an aside.
It'd just devolve into expendible mooks, like the villains' armies. Besides, those cyborgs don't have blazing rescue spirits.

SURRENDER, CREEP!
What did Joel do this time? Oh, never mind.

Cyborg Rangers...that are Robots...um, aren't cyborgs partially human? So...they're Robot Rangers...but they're called Cyborg Rangers...eh, my brain hurts.
If they were cyborgs... what has the government been up to? Have they considered the ethical implications of imposing a remote control on sentient beings?

Wait, there's a second Lightspeed department? That's new to me.
Such is government bureaucracy. Next up, the Department of Redundancy Department.

Yep, they never make mistakes...wait did they take this plot from the Megaranger episode with the Galaxy Mega AI?
So, who gets to be the Kenta this time as a counterpoint to the calculative Shun?

Seriously: us, those five, we're a squad of ten!
They still haven't shown us Fiveman and Puppetman teaming up against Gingaman.

Two words: "You're Fired".
Boy, those words are going to be ominous next decade. And then those words are going to turn sad the following decade.

Giving up their Ranger powers and it's only episode 7. That was a quick season.
The Aquitians had a longer tenure on Earth.

Platinum...I would have gone with titanium myself, McKnight.
Remember when the internet was freaking out because someone made a fan edit of Gokai Silver transforming into "Go Silver"? Yeah... good times.

See how my Lightspeed logo is white and red? Yep, I'm evil.
But Carter's suit is white and red...

Are cyborgs better than you? Well J.A.K.Q. is a good team but...still, this isn't J.A.K.Q., this is evil robots!
They got upstaged by a non-cyborg. Dang it Sokichi Banba.

Um...they're robots...hitting them is OK cause it isn't like they're going to die?
Uh oh, here comes Alpha with a petition for robot rights.

OK, who put the nitro-glycerine into those boxes?
"Oops, that was the medical nitroglycerine. Alert the paramedics. Where's Dana?"

THAT'S IT; WE'LL RUN THEM OVER WITH THE JEEP!
Why can't more teams think of the mundane but effective solutions?

ROBO-DANA HAS FIREBALLS AND LASERBEAMS!? WHY DIDN'T SHE USE THEM AGAINST THE MONSTER!?
They're originally programmed to prevent more destruction than they cause. Sort of like Zordon's rule, except applying to rescue.

More like four wise choices and his own daughter.
It's not nepotism if he intensely trained her on a day-to-day basis and made her forget about all her other aspirations.

Oh great, Jason, Zack and Trini are scuba-diving again!
Visiting one of those Swiss lakes?

Yep, Chad's friends with fish. He's nuts. (or a potential princess...nah, he'd need to be a corporation heir too)
We still don't have an Aquaman Ranger. Or even one who did a Spock mind meld with an endangered whale.

I think the word is "alpha female" but it isn't something that is that easy for Chad to say.
Alpha 5: Ay yi yi, there's an Alpha female? Am I wearing enough cologne?

Yeah, Chad has good self-esteem. Too bad Kelsey's a fireball ready to explode.
Metaphorically speaking? And which metaphor? Should we get Nancy?

Kelsey...the door's becoming swiss cheese...and the smoke's coming out...
Mmm... smoked cheese...

Well that handles those two...now all I have are the Patranger colors!
And yet, not a single police officer on the team.

HE WANTS TO JOIN THE DEMONS!? Well...its actually something we've never seen before.
I swear this was a Sentai plot at some point.

Didn't expect Kelsey to be hit that badly by that. Sure she can at least have a replacement; maybe even fix one of the Cyborg Rangers?
That project got caught up in red tape. Some commission has to investigate it, do more case studies, figure out why they're called cyborgs.

Come on...I know Tai Chi and it isn't just a meditation style.
What, are they getting digital? But that's so two years ago...

Who said Tai Chi was just for meditation now?
I'd say "Mmm... chai tea...", but Bulk makes that exact joke several years later. Well, without the "Mmm..." part.

So he's still brainwashed but he's hitting Batlings....which is it?
They haven't perfected it yet.

What can Chad learn from Kelsey...probably how to bench-press 200?
It's a nice way to keep the training spirits from the early years of MMPR, with new twists. (Because really, what did Jason learn from Billy?)
Old August 11th, 2018, 07:34 PM #3170
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

The early eps with Joel remind me of a time when I was telling my best friend about LR, and describing him. Told him how Joel was kind of a stereotype, but for his profession with his being a pilot and one of the most arrogant and cockiest rangers there had been (this was late 2004). My friend replied that while we aren't stereotyped as such, there were a lot of arrogant and cocky brothas out there. Had to agree a little on that one.
Old August 12th, 2018, 11:06 AM #3171
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Morphine, meth, coke, just what has this franchise gotten into? What's next, "oregano"?
Someone probably has found a way to get high on that too. (and I made the "whitespeed" joke before seeing the out-in-the-open Coke machine pretending to be for "generic non-trademarked beverage")

Didn't we just talk about "whitespeed"?
Yes. Yes we did.

Sometimes, the control of the flow of information is crucial to the success of the mission. Even if that means deceiving allies to set up a distraction. Probably, this would be more expected in the spy genre over the rescue genre, but it works.
As I said, the concept was way too obvious but it works here, from a standard of secrecy and a standard that Mitchell probably trusts his daughter more than the other four. (especially Joel...)

Divatox must've abandoned it when she was recalled by the UAE.
Divatox at least had standards.

Monsters, what monsters?
We're going to ride this joke until we get to "Trakeena's Revenge", aren't we?

Kamen Rider 5-5-5? What a concept!
Seriously? The Japanese barely has a transforming bugman fighting resurrected zombies playing some weird game while murdering people; I doubt they'd ever do something that high-concept.

It'd just devolve into expendible mooks, like the villains' armies. Besides, those cyborgs don't have blazing rescue spirits.
Probably. But it is a neat idea to contemplate.

They got upstaged by a non-cyborg. Dang it Sokichi Banba.
I always presumed Big One was a cyborg too but they just stuffed him with so much that it took him a while to show up...sadly he ruined the show in the process but we did get two semi-decent periods?

Visiting one of those Swiss lakes?
That would only be Zack and Trini though; Jason did go home.

And yet, not a single police officer on the team.
Well there was Kelsey's equivalent but he was basically just a beat officer...

Dragonwolf Ranger wrote: View Post

The early eps with Joel remind me of a time when I was telling my best friend about LR, and describing him. Told him how Joel was kind of a stereotype, but for his profession with his being a pilot and one of the most arrogant and cockiest rangers there had been (this was late 2004). My friend replied that while we aren't stereotyped as such, there were a lot of arrogant and cocky brothas out there. Had to agree a little on that one.
Probably but it doesn't make it any easier to watch him. I get what they were going for but at this point Joel remains the worst of the five due to said cockiness.

-----

Kamen Rider Drive: Ep. 14: Who Is the Black Shadow Chasing Her?& Ep. 15: When Will These Feelings Reach You?

As a random aside considering the two-parter's content: I find it shocking Hirohiko Araki was a fan of this season.

Kiriko's obsession with the mystery Rider that saved her life during the Global Freeze is something that has become a driving force to her character, but it has affected other characcters in the process. With Chase, he feels shocked that he keeps wanting to protect her; while with Go, he just doesn't like that his sister has anything to do with a Roidmude, even a Roidmude who wants to be a protector even inadvertently. I'm not really a fan of Go's racism here, especially with him so open last time in using Roidmude powers to combat the Roidmude threat; but obviously it's something he has to probably work out with all that's going on currently. This culminates with a case where a similar situation ends up happening that ends up leading to Kiriko and the others seeing a lot of what's going on within themselves and work out if this could be something that is either good or a problem. It involves a famous actress (the funny thing is it's Bouken Pink's actress playing her...and considering Sakura, this is probably the antithesis of what she'd want to do) who is being stalked by Roidmudes, but there are two of them that are causing problems surrounding her. One is a Roidmude that has literally copied a makeup artist that has become obsessed with the actress, so much so that he basically attacks her for him. (and he has the unfortunate number of...um...069...yeah, not subtle at all what he wants) 069 is an annoyance...but on the absolute reverse is the literal reverse Roidmude of 096, who is less lustful and more a strange protector of the actress; finding those who it deems as leading to problems towards her and attacks them while leaving behind Tarot cards as it's means to display it's feelings towards these people. The cards belong to a famous fortune teller who used these special stylized cards in his readings and thus all signs end up pointing to him. But the story ends up taking a bizarre twist that really feels out of nowhere: the fortune teller is dead...because the actress killed him. And somehow 096 wanted to protect her in his stead, so it ended up stealing her memories of the murder and ends up driving vengeance on her behalf. Its a really bizarre resolution and I'm not sure that it works, especially since 096 is her own feelings and has nothing to do with the tarot reader. It's literally a Roidmude using a human's own issues to fix the human's problem while making us think it's someone who is dead; at least if the tarot reader was dead then the Roidmude could have copied them and done something similar on her behalf and it would have made more sense than the solution we end up getting.

In regards to how this relates to Chase, this basically ends up being a situation where Chase unfortunately ends up slowly being revealed as Proto-Drive, the original Kamen Rider of the night of the Global Freeze. It's hard to say what happened but somehow with the Roidmudes seeing that one of their own was fighting against them on that night, Brain ends up getting to him first and "brainwashing" him into becoming Mashin Chaser so that he works more with his own kind instead of behalf of the humans. This is confirmed when somehow Mach's bike fuses with Mashin Chaser's creating a new vehicle mode to crush 069; proving that Chase's technology is less driven by the Roidmude mission and more by his mission to defeat the Roidmudes. Unfortunately this reveal just makes Go even more angry and obsessed in taking Chase down despite him possibly being on their side now despite the brainwashing (and it sort of hurts in that this is for his sister too); and at the same time the Roidmudes know that if they can't bring Chase into line he'll be on the side of the other Riders before they know it! They don't say what happens but somehow Medic and Brain work together to "brainwash" Chase once again, with the idea that they can keep doing this over and over to try and keep Chase's loyalty to his own kind as opposed to humanity. But obviously Kiriko and Shinnosuke know now that some Roidmudes are working on their behalf and probably think he needs to be saved...it isn't enough to convince Go but he probably has his own issues to get through.

ROIDMUDE COUNT: 85 REMAINING

-----

Gravity Falls: Ep. 5: The Inconveniencing

You know if they used their ghost powers like that, they could do for hot dogs what the Sawyer Gas Station did for BBQ.

Dipper is someone who seems to want to speed up how quickly he grows up; unlike Mabel who ended up within the circle of someone close to her own age last time with Gideon, Dipper is obviously more interested in the older Wendy who works within the Mystery Shack with them. So when she goes out with her teenage friends one night, Dipper (and Mabel because she probably was going to follow along anyway) decide to come with to prove how old and manly he is and to probably get somewhere with her at this point. Where they end up happens to be this old abandoned convenience store, which they break into and have a run with all that it has (even though I'm not sure the frozen treats should still be frozen). And while Mabel is distracted with some illegal hallucenogenic sugar candy, Dipper slowly realizes why the place was shut down...namely due to the owners of the shop dying there and their ghosts continuing to haunt the place. There's a nice build-up of eeriness here with the strange stuff in the conveinence store until a dare to lay in their "dead chalk pose" unleashes them, sucking up one teen after another and tormenting them until they possess Mabel (who probably doesn't realize it because...hallucinogenic sugar high) and try to just rip the entire store apart. Somehow it gets resolved when they find out that the ghosts were the owners themselves, having become hateful of teens and died due to their torment (though hip hop isn't necessarily that bad but it is a small Oregon town that doesn't quite get it) and with Dipper basically revealing his true age...and doing the most embarrassing thing possible (a little kid dance...in a lamb costume) to pacify their spirits. The episode was pretty good but really slow until they started in the conveinece store...though at least he did get some props from Wendy after the whole thing was over and done with. (oh and Grunkle Stan got to discover the wonders of period dramas on TCM, that's a good thing too)

Gravity Falls: Ep. 6: Dipper vs. Manliness

I'll just stick with Mannish Mann from "Adventure Time". That Manitaur likes spaghetti...and there's nothing wrong with liking spaghetti.

Being a 12-year old is something that makes one question what it means to grow up and "be a man", particularly when you're Dipper and you currently are living in Oregon where manliness seems to be a requirement for the locals. After an incident where he fails at a manliness tester for free pancakes (Stan wasn't going to pay for them), he runs off to try and figure out what it means to be a man...and encounters a massive muscular brute race of "Manitaurs" in the process. The Manitaurs are basically your typical stereotypical "men", complete with a man cave to hang out in and just do all sorts of brutal things with one another for fun. Obviously with his own insecurities, Dipper thinks that's the answer to resolve his issues, but of course the lesson here is you have to figure out what it means to be a man and stand up for what you believe in. This sort of comes about due to being forced to fight against a multi-headed bear who is the Manitaur's greatest enemy...but he likes an ABBA-ripoff, which gives him something in common with Dipper in the end. The episode's lesson wasn't bad but it was still a bit of a weak predictable episode in the end, mostly due to the whole idea of, of course, that manliness is what you make of it and isn't something that can be defined by what the world tells you is "manly". (it's something I had to figure out the hard way but that's my own personal problems. At the same time, Mabel was occupied trying to get Stan to go on a date with the waitress at a local diner...that goes how you'd think but for the most part it only works out becuase Mabel sort of compares him to a broken pie machine. (seriously, isn't this the same lesson as that song "Fixer Upper" from "Frozen"?...)
Old August 12th, 2018, 01:05 PM #3172
> hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

Kamen Rider Drive: Ep. 14: Who Is the Black Shadow Chasing Her?& Ep. 15: When Will These Feelings Reach You?

This is confirmed when somehow Mach's bike fuses with Mashin Chaser's creating a new vehicle mode to crush 069; proving that Chase's technology is less driven by the Roidmude mission and more by his mission to defeat the Roidmudes.
Ah, yes, the biggest shoehorn of a toy into a series pitching toys ever.
hasbro_primo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 02:44 PM #3173
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

We're going to ride this joke until we get to "Trakeena's Revenge", aren't we?
Until? We're going to do this the rest of the season!

Let's talk about free will. Chase doesn't have it, because the show made it clear that he's being reprogrammed, and yet Kiriko thinks she should be worshiping Proto-Drive, not even knowing what's really going on, not knowing that there's a question of whether Proto-Drive was just executing a pre-programmed response or actually had justice in mind.

Who does have free will? Well, there's Go, and we all know his problems. Not only does he have free will, but also sentience and sapience, and can see outright examples of Chase doing good acts, time and time again. Regardless of how much he knows of the situation (which is a plot point later, the extent of his knowledge), if someone like Chase can be used for good or evil, Chase is morally neutral, and it's simply prejudiced anger that has Go wanting him destroyed with all the rest. He's also too personally involved, knowing his sister's feelings.

Who else has free will? The actress who looks like Bouken Pink and the guy who looks like Bouken Blue. Well... she committed a homicide, and should be legally responsible even if there were mitigating factors. Shinnosuke managed to solve that case, didn't arrest her. They really live up to the name Special Investigations Unit, because apparently that's all they're doing: investigations.
Old August 13th, 2018, 06:55 PM #3174
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

Ah, yes, the biggest shoehorn of a toy into a series pitching toys ever.
I get the show is a toy commercial but that moment was just random and ridiculous.

Until? We're going to do this the rest of the season!
Yeah and next season we'll just say "there's no such things as time travelers!" And the next season after that? "THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS GIVING UP!"

-----

Ranma 1/2: Ep. 138 (Nettouhen Ep. 120): Ranma, Howl at the Moon

I still say that Kasumi should have been the Tendo Dojo heir considering she seems to know of all of it's ways better than the rest.

With how ridiculous and perverted Happosai tends to be, it isn't that often that something ends up spooking him straight and forcing him to play by the rules. This episode ends up being nearly one of them, when he is invited in taking part in the "Demon Festival", where an opponent must take on an unstoppable assault in order to prove the strength and abilities of their school and thus potentially either survive or fail as a martial arts academy. Considering the series (and for a real reason we find out towards the end), Happosai elects Ranma to take part in this tournament alongside him, and the two end up going through training with each other in preparation for whatever is to come. It's actually one of the few times we've seen Happosai this devoted in training Ranma without it being alongside something stupid and it really sort of adds a lot more weight to the episode as if this was going to be the build-up to some tournament arc in another manga. We also get the typical worries from Akane, especially with the idea that if Ranma falls, he may lose his prestige as a martial artist and may not even be able to inherit the Tendo Dojo...it's RanKane but it's sort of merited this time around with all that he has to go through. The battle itself is intense: the funny thing is that it's basically just an all-night session of "Kick the Can", with multiple opponents appearing from out of the woodwork trying to take the can from you and just needing to survive an all-night assault until the sun starts rising to win. While it's basically a silly set-up it really sort of adds credence and the tenseness of the idea that all these enemies are coming from everywhere and you have to defeat them or potentially lose everything you have just adds to it and really makes it a great sequence. Ranma wins by basically using Happosai's Happo-Fire Burst on the enemies en masse at the end of the night...and the end turns out to be a bit of a letdown: while it's great that we get Cologne and even Chingensai (the "Invisibility Master") as the opponents (they're all old masters), it's all basically just a giant game of "Kick the Can with Old People"...and the moment Happosai wins and gets a box of panties as a reward, all that build-up is thrown away as he turns back into an idiotic old lech.

Guess not all old masters can just turn it off and on as easily as Genkai.

-----

Space Sheriff Gavan: Ep. 25: The Suspiciously Flickering Underwater Flower; Wakaba in Danger

The synchronized swimmers weren't part of any grand plan; they just felt like doing that.

A couple episodes ago, we literally had a plan involving girls being abducted by a Double Monster for their own purposes. And now in this episode we have...even younger girls being abducted by a Double Monster for their own purposes. (as if there were a difference) The situation involves a Double Monster distributing a special water flower to pre-teen girls, making them obsess in their own beauty but become rebellious against all those around them; we don't really see much of it other than one girl getting rude towards the kids of the Avalon Ranch and Wakaba (said girl of that ranch) breaking a window. They claim that there's an effect of "females becoming more masculine" but it's just said and not demonstrated; made all the scarier in a bizarre scene where Kojiro smells the same flower...and is running around in a bikini. (it's horrific, trust me on that...and yet Retsu smells it and nothing...eh, must be his Birdian genetics) The plan is just as iffy as Kojiro's little stunt: they're taking pre-teen girls...to become the future mothers of Doublemen...um...they haven't even been through puberty yet and their application of lipstick is terrible, so why would you just suddenly turn them into Doubleman mothers!? (and if it's about brainwashing, it isn't really about that because the water flower's effect is limited and even just before Retsu comes to the rescue, several have it worn off and are just going to be executed for not wanting to go into space with the Double Monster) As bad and stupid as this episode was, I did actually like Retsu's strategy of finding the enemy, basically placing a bug in Wakaba's lipstick container so that if she ran off (which she does of course), he could pursue. But one tiny bit probably isn't enough to save a really, really bad episode.

-----

The Transformers: Ep. 26: Enter the Nightbird

Seriously, all those metal weapons and yet she has a lightsaber? I know they're classified as samurai but can there be such thing as Jedi ninja?

26 episodes of the franchise...and not one female Transformer, either Autobot or Decepticon. While they will eventually emerge...slowly...the best we can get at this point is a robot devised not by Cybertronian technology but human: that is Nightbird, a ninja robot devised by a college robotics expert to be a machine to benefit humanity. It's hard to say how a female ninja robot would benefit humanity (outside the obvious...and even then she isn't even that lovely to look at outside the eyes), but somehow the Autobots are brought in to protect her unveiling...and the Decepticons do their usual thing to intervene during said unveiling and try to capture her for their own usage. Amazingly with a few tweaks (by Bombshell of all beings...I know the Constructicons were made geniuses but Insecticons too?), NIghtbird becomes a formidable opponent, easily getting past the Autobot defenses to steal a circuit that keeps track of all energy sources the Decepticons can utilize; while at the same time defeating the Autobots time and again and each and every one of their strategies. Despite not really seeming to have a conscious circuit, Nightbird probably does better than any Decepticon has ever done...so good that basically what ends up taking her down (outside a bizarre off-screening where she's trapped in a laser net) is Starscream hitting her behind Megatron's back, disabling her long enough for the Autobots to reclaim her and for Megatron to yell at what a jerk his second is. (well he is a whiny baby...) In the end they seem to make it appear like she's been depowered and deprogrammed before being sealed away...but of course aside from an "or is she?" moment, that's basically it for Nightbird. Hate to say it but with her power and how easily she owned Optimus and the Autobots in her only appearance, I think Nightbird sets a standard so high that any female Transformer, Autobot or Decepticon, is going to have to floor me in awesome to match what she did in one episode.
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM #3175
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ranma 1/2: Ep. 139 (Nettouhen Ep. 121): Nihao! Jusenkyo Guide

I don't know what would be worse: losing Ryoga's means of sleeping with Akane or losing Ranma's means of devouring parfaits.

The Jusenkyo Guide is a rather underrated character: he alone is the only character in the cast that knows the truth regarding all the Jusenkyo springs and how to manipulate them accordingly. With how little he shows up outside Jusenkyo visits, he tends to be forgotten despite basically being the mastermind who knows of every and all curses the cast undergoes. So to have him come to Japan is actually a rare treat, especially considering that it leads to something that sort of links back to a previous manga story, even if it doesn't say so explicitly. His trip to Japan here is actually associated with the emergence of a possible new "Spring of Drowned Man" vein emerging there, with the possibility that Jusenkyo springs can emerge with their curses in specific places if all elements are coordinated right and accordingly. While this sort of makes me think back to the manga's "Japanese Spring of Drowned Man in a girl's locker room" arc (that was unfortunately extended to a stupid level in the anime), obviously this isn't going to go anywhere because this is a filler story and the curses have to be kept for the sake of status quo. But admittedly despite the idea that they were tempting the fates to obviously blow it in the end, I did like the episode: I liked seeing the Jusenkyo Guide in Japan, the new Spring of Drowned Man emerging in Japan (even if its obviously going to be someplace obvious, in this case the Tendo carp pool where Ranma and Genma train around all the time) and all the characters contemplating what they would do to be cured and how they were going to make their lives all the better when it actually happens (Ranma, Ryoga and Mousse the obvious and even Soun thinking with the curse gone, Ranma and Akane can finally get married)...heck I even like that Shampoo admits she can't be cured but is happy if Ranma is and is hoping the guide can find a Spring of Drowned Girl to cure her next. The means as to how it all falls apart is pretty funny too: basically a ritual rope is cut before the spring can be fully summoned, with both Ranma and Ryoga fighting each other over who did it first...in a way I would have thought Ryoga deliberately sabotaged it to keep his means of sleeping with Akane but they say Ranma could have tripped and the same thing could have happened. The sad thing: in the manga, the Jusenkyo Guide never comes to Japan...sure his daughter does in the manga's final arc, but the guide remains in China all series...so having this was actually still fun regardless.

BTW: is it just me or did the animation plunge in the second half with all the off and bizarre character designs?

-----

Space Sheriff Gavan: Ep. 26: The Doll Saw It! The True Identity of the Poison Gas Killer Corps

Really, you don't just put on a helmet and consider yourself camouflagued.

One of my biggest problems that I have with Gavan is that there are some stories and concepts that this season wants to get across to make itself feel bigger than it really is...but it all falls flat due to the cliches and concepts that it's working with. You can't get across the evils within humanity when you turn around and show the villain that potentially could show the evil that humans can do is just a Double Monster and all those working for him are just Crushers. This episode sort of tries to do just that in making itself a mature, dark story about the horrors of war, brainwashing and doing things beyond your control...but is just ruined by the last few minutes and the general concepts that this season is working with. It involves a special poison gas corp created by Makuu through a esteemed college professor who brainwashes students, turning them into killer machines that attack other places for the potential of...well, World War III. (seriously, the opening episodes had a grander idea of causing World War III than this) The element ends up in focus due to Kojiro accidentally discovering the photos of that student tracing him back to the professor and thus finding out about the potential problems. Sakata, the victim, is sort of in a rock and a hard place with this: he wants out and doesn't want to keep murdering people for the sake of warfare, but he only got in because he needed the money for his sister's surgery (it's cheesy but it works). He becomes entrenched by further brainwashing that leads to some surreal moments and even Retsu nearly gets struck during one moment, all leading up to a sequence where he's forced to shoot at Retsu to eliminate him and prevent him from intruding any further. He doesn't...and the Professor immediately turns into a Double Monster and kills him and we go through the motions of the typical Gavan episode for the rest outside a final scene where Retsu lies to his sister that he's "gone on a trip" and that's that. As mentioned, I think the episode is extremely ambitious in trying to show that humans can do bad things and how someone caught in the middle tries to figure himself out and get out before it becomes impossible...but it's ruined because, once again, someone well esteemed and known throughout society for years is just a random Double Monster (you know...the creatures that only emerged recently...) and there's no explanation regarding if the original professor was murdered or how the Double Monster took this guy's life over to lead to this scheme by the Makuu.

The worst part: the guy who played the professor...will appear in a Changeman two parter several years later as betraying humanity for his own twisted purposes...AND YET HE REMAINS HUMAN THE WHOLE TIME, NOT SOME MOTW! HE ACTUALLY BETRAYS EARTH FOR THE VILLAINS AND ITS ONE OF THE MORE INTERESTING STORIES OF THE SEASON! How come something done three years later can be more interesting and mature with it's human characters than this which tries to act mature but is bound by the genre circa 1982?

-----

The Transformers: Ep. 27: A Prime Problem

From that ending, it's basically come down to Spike being the Autobot's pet; next you know Optimus will have a box of treats for him.

While Optimus Prime is a powerful and notable leader of the Autobots, one thing I've noticed is that the other Autobots are basically lemmings with him around: whatever their leader says, they'll do. Thus Megatron does the obvious: if the Autobots will follow Optimus to the end of the Earth, just create a clone Optimus Prime and use advanced puppetry technology to make the others believe its him...before just throwing them down a cliff filled with electronic-destroying crystals to destroy them all. I sort of wonder where the heck Megatron gets technology to create an exact replica of Optimus but considering the story, it sort of feels like the only way that the concept could work; and obviously the other Autobots don't know or realize any better so they just basically accept this as their real leader. Megatron even creates a clone Starscream to make him "die" by Optimus' hands so that the plan can work for the most part. It gets resolved by of course Megatron's gloating being discovered by someone, which in this case is Spike and...um...Windcharger (seriously, this is like his first really important role in the series). Somehow Windcharger is thrown into the crystal crevice but survives due to...um, rubber tires from his transformed state? (and that's basically how they figure out the Megatron fake) Oh and Spike is thrown out a rocket and we get a brand new Transformer appearing out of nowhere, Powerglide, saving him. (more on him in a few episodes...but basically the next set of toys are ready and he just gets a bizarre pre-story cameo) While it's ludicrous that Megatron can just make robot clones like that, I did actually like the plan for the most part because it sort of just continues the idea that Autobots are loyal idiots; sure Optimus is a strong leader but to follow a clone literally off a cliff really does make them feel more like robot lemmings with little to no doubt. (well Ironhide did suspect him at the start when he confused him with Bumblebee but his logic circuit must have gotten screwed up after the rest of the episode)
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM #3176
> sylarking
Power Ranger

sylarking
Power Ranger

Now you coming to one of the problems of season 2. New Transformers appearing out of nowhere it was pretty jarring for me.
sylarking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote