RANGERBOARD REVIEW:
BOOM STUDIOS - MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #0

• On sale: January 13th, 2016
  • Format: 32 pages, full color
  • Price: $3.99
  • Writers: Kyle Higgins, Steve Orlando, Mairghread Scott
  • Artists: Hendry Prasetya, Corin Howell, Daniel Bayliss
  • Cover Artist: Goņi Montes

Those that were worried about the Boom Studios' first entry into the Power Rangers world, I'm rather confident that you can put those concerns aside.

Let's get right to a review. The bulk of issue #0 is the main story and certainly the best part of this issue. I won't give any spoilers, but it starts with a bang from the very first page and serves as something to really give you a taste of what to expect from both the story and striking art style.
The story follows Green Ranger Tommy, dealing with his evil takeover from Rita Repulsa. It begins with a normal day at Angel Grove High, where the teens now have a new, modern look and feel.
The characters really do feel up-to-date and have less of the cheese of the original TV show, giving it a very fresh new spin, making it something that those of us that grew up with the show can enjoy a strong connection with the familiar characters and setting, but also something more geared to current tastes.

Tommy, unbeknownst to the other Rangers, is haunted by Rita and the remnants of her evil spell, affecting his connection to the main group.
Stepping into the traditional story telling of Power Rangers; on her moon palace, Rita commands Finster to create her a monster to send down to Earth and take on the Rangers - a brand new terror known as Bullzer.
Interrupted during class, the Rangers rush into action to defeat the latest threat destroying the city. A lengthy giant-sized battle ensues... But not all goes to plan for the Rangers.

This is a great start to the Boom Studios story. It's action packed, it's familiar yet very new, has a more teen-and-up feel and the artwork by Hendry Prasetya is beyond gorgeous. The art in this story is very striking and you can tell that a lot of work has gone into the details. You may notice some nice little references sprinkled throughout. The art is detailed, yet not overpowering or overly grimdark.
The writing also gets a thumbs-up from me. As I've mentioned, the writing drops the thick cheese of the original TV show, yet it doesn't go as dark as some fan work has in the past ("POWER/RANGERS", I'm looking at you). The teens feel like actual teens instead of super happy Clean Up Club do-gooders. They feel normal. On top of that, all of the teens feel as strong as eachother in their Ranger duties. Kimberly for example gets an impressive time to shine.
The story also includes our good old friends Zordon and Alpha 5. In this issue, Zordon's role is a little more strict with our team. He gives them respect, yet also gives them strong guidance, as any good mentor should do.

THE ONGOING ADVENTURES OF BULK & SKULL

Issue #0 also includes a side-story following school bullies Bulk and Skull. It's a more lighthearted story as evidenced in both it's writing and art style.
Much like the Bulk and Skull we all love, the duo get up to their old tricks on the school, much to Mr. Kaplan's dismay. After some less-than-successful flirting with Kimberly, Trini and new character Roni, Bulk and Skull are driven more than ever to woo them by becoming the new Power Rangers.
This is a short 2-page adventure that will continue on with future issues and serves as a great counter to the heaviness of the issue's main story.

WHAT TIME IS IT?!
This starting issue also includes all pages from the story sold by Boom Studios at San Diego Comic Con in 2015, giving those of us that missed it another chance to get our hands on it.
It's your standard TV episode fare, featuring the Rangers heading into battle on-foot and in-Zord against Goldar, but is still worth a read. It features yet another art style, which also works very well for the story and franchise.

FINAL THOUGHTS
All-in-all, this is a great debut for Boom Studios. Everyone involved has very clearly given a lot of time and effort into its contents, from writing, art to research.
There have been several comics given to the franchise over the past 23 years by different companies, ranging from decent to... not so great. As far as I'm concerned, Boom Studios' attempt at the Power Rangers universe is a great one. It brings the popular Mighty Morphin into the new age, while keeping the good parts of MMPR's original form and simultaneously turning it into something new. Boom has grabbed my attention with their first step and I will certainly be following them on their journey.

Thanks again go to Boom Studios for providing an advance copy!

Last edited by Morgan Lamia; January 7th, 2016 at 06:39 AM.