View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2019, 06:14 AM #15
> TheSentaiGuy
making idiocy an art form

TheSentaiGuy
making idiocy an art form

MagnaChipster wrote: View Post

Nate isn't meek and passive at all, though? He's made it very clear he hates being seen as weak and not being taken seriously, and he's not afraid to let that known (even yelling at Commander Shaw for insisting he can't leave without a buddy). Or when he was firm about Ravi not using the neutralizer gadget to make Avatar Roxy good again. The only time he's really been "shy" is regarding his crush on Zoey, and even then that could just be interpreted as him trying to get around the "no dating rangers" rule. Just because he's the smart guy doesn't automatically make him a doormat.

And honestly, I don't understand the vitriol over changing the bug at all. It's really not that big of a deal. Especially since, in my opinion, the "horns" of the gold ranger helmet can easily be seen as a stylized mantis head (they both have that triangular shape).

Fantastic episode, and so satisfying after all the drama regarding Blake. And I already adore Steel.
Call how Nate acts whatever you'd like, my main point is that how he's been shown so far does not match up well with Jin's body language, and I'm hoping that's rectified with more original footage.

Alitain wrote: View Post

I sort of agree on the body language, or more just the morph footage, only in the fact that Nate seems like quite the competent fighter now. Of course this also isn't the first time a ranger who doesn't seem like a fighter suddenly kicks butt when morphed. Or I could accept Nate having snuck some simulator time, since he has been wanting to be a ranger. Still a bit odd.

Otherwise, the rest is fine. They've built up to him becoming a ranger, it's not out of the blue. And it isn't new for a seemingly "meek" person to be confident while in costume*cough Spider-Man cough*. Plus it's his debut, gotta have a good show at least initially. He was excited the morphing worked, and that Steel came about, so he was riding the hype of confidence. We'll see how it plays out down the road, but it's not that bad. I mean while Nate has been a little more on the quiet side, he isn't exactly meek, He's just not bold and cocky. But gaining the ranger power could easily have him start acting that way, might turn into a thing for his character.

Gotta say, my fav part of the episode goes to Steel. When Blaze & Roxy were defeated and Roxy is all "How are they beating us?" And Steel answers, "With style!". Best line in the episode, had me crackin up.
Sure, I concede that "meek" wasn't the right word to use, but I think him being emboldened by the power as an explanation (while as good as we're probably going to get) feels a bit off to me. Things like him tossing the sword up to let it disappear show a kind of confidence that seems out of place for someone who became a ranger just a minute before.

Nitpicks aside, I did enjoy the episode. Nate is just going to take some getting used to.

Last edited by TheSentaiGuy; April 27th, 2019 at 06:25 AM.
TheSentaiGuy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote