⚡ RangerBoard

⚡ RangerBoard (https://www.rangerboard.com/index.php)
-   Discussions (https://www.rangerboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -    MOVIE  Changes coming to the Oscars, including new Popular Films Award (https://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=182965)

GoldAnyRanger August 8th, 2018 10:18 AM

Changes coming to the Oscars, including new Popular Films Award

Next year's Academy Awards will be undergoing some changes, to make it more relevant to today's movie going audiences, and to keep it under three hours. This includes the introduction of a new award, for the outstanding achievement in popular film. (Which means, the big blockbusters will have a chance to win something other than technical categories.)

[url]https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/academy-plans-three-hour-oscars-telecast-adds-popular-film-category-1133138[/url]

AdrenalineRush August 8th, 2018 10:20 AM

A step in the right direction.

Cameron Samurai August 8th, 2018 10:24 AM

An MCU movie will win every year

RitoRevolto August 8th, 2018 10:30 AM

I hate this move.

RotK won Best Picture, Shape of Water won Best Picture, but now genre films like that with more mass market appeal will be more likely to win in that category than Best Picture. Black Panther, for example, made more money than God, but it was also a damn good film in its own right.

toejammer August 8th, 2018 10:31 AM

I dont have a problem as such with current formatting of award shows. Its the political agenda that people have which turns me off from watching them nowadays.

Ryoutarou August 8th, 2018 10:47 AM

[QUOTE=AdrenalineRush;5620469]A step in the right direction.[/QUOTE]

It probably won't be that great of a move. I think it'll make it more likely to have those big blockbusters be considered for that award and only that award. Maybe some of the technical categories as well during a good year, but it's probably going to be seen as an award for the "other" that was maybe forced on the ceremony.

AdrenalineRush August 8th, 2018 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=RitoRevolto;5620478]I hate this move.

RotK won Best Picture, Shape of Water won Best Picture, but now genre films like that with more mass market appeal will be more likely to win in that category than Best Picture. Black Panther, for example, made more money than God, but it was also a damn good film in its own right.[/QUOTE]

Well, the reason this move happened is that with some notable exceptions (two of which you've mentioned), several genre films with more mass market appeal tends to be reduced to being nominated for technical awards and fall under "insert genre ghetto".

[QUOTE=Ryoutarou;5620492]It probably won't be that great of a move. I think it'll make it more likely to have those big blockbusters be considered for that award and only that award. Maybe some of the technical categories as well during a good year, but it's probably going to be seen as an award for the "other" that was maybe forced on the ceremony.[/QUOTE]

I don't really see this as forced.

Takaishi Takeru August 8th, 2018 11:20 AM

RotK won Best Picture, Shape of Water won Best Picture, but now genre films like that with more mass market appeal will be more likely to win in that category than Best Picture. Black Panther, for example, made more money than God, but it was also a damn good film in its own right.[/QUOTE]

My first thought when I heard this news was literally: "And this way Black Panther wins said award if these new rules are taken into effect sooner than later."

As opposed to Black Panther winning Best Picture, which, frankly, it would at [I]least[/I] deserve a nomination for.

Poweranimals August 8th, 2018 11:26 AM

The only problem is that they tend to be biased against genre films. So giving them a special category is really the only way they get the recognition.

RitoRevolto August 8th, 2018 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=Poweranimals;5620520]The only problem is that they tend to be biased against genre films. So giving them a special category is really the only way they get the recognition.[/QUOTE]

I believe that the animated category made it less likely an animated film will ever win Best Picture.

Ataruman August 8th, 2018 11:36 AM

So....the MTV Movie Awards? Or just the Academy throwing up their hands and saying "most big screen movies are this cause all the arty and important stuff's going to HBO and Netflix?"

Poweranimals August 8th, 2018 11:39 AM

[QUOTE=RitoRevolto;5620522]I believe that the animated category made it less likely an animated film will ever win Best Picture.[/QUOTE]

It was already super unlikely though.

MagnaChipster August 8th, 2018 12:22 PM

Ugh. Really not a fan of this - it just sounds like another way of keeping the "not-artsy-enough" films out of the Best Picture category.

(Not to mention if they're going to go by numbers then like....literally one studio is only ever going to win this.)

Gold Samurai August 8th, 2018 12:58 PM

[QUOTE]Itís me, the guy who never watches the oscars but will now sit through three hours of montages because of one new category honoring batman
[/QUOTE]

LOL. Just imagining all the documentary/more art leaning people sitting through a Batman/Avengers/Marvel Studios montage would be hilarious.

AkaPrimoKanyeWest August 8th, 2018 02:00 PM

Ever since I heard, I've been trying to think how that award will work.

Transformers made gobs of cash and people despise those movies, so what criteria is truly going to be used here? Rotten Tomatoes rankings?

[QUOTE=Poweranimals;5620538]It was already super unlikely though.[/QUOTE]
Beauty and the Beast had a 20% chance, man.

GoldAnyRanger September 7th, 2018 10:58 AM

The Academy has decided to postpone the addition of the Popular Films category.

[url]https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/academy-postponing-new-popular-oscar-category-1140423[/url]

Spoony Spoonerson September 7th, 2018 11:48 AM

Looks like Black Panther can't even win The Black Panther Award!

red-thunder September 7th, 2018 12:16 PM

Maybe Stan Lee will finally get the best cameo award he's always wanted lol

Poweranimals September 7th, 2018 12:38 PM

[QUOTE=GoldAnyRanger;5639289]The Academy has decided to postpone the addition of the Popular Films category.

[url]https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/academy-postponing-new-popular-oscar-category-1140423[/url][/QUOTE]

Oh good. So I definitely don't have to watch it then.

AdrenalineRush September 8th, 2018 05:35 AM

[QUOTE=GoldAnyRanger;5639289]The Academy has decided to postpone the addition of the Popular Films category.

[url]https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/academy-postponing-new-popular-oscar-category-1140423[/url][/QUOTE]

I'm not surprised, given the backlash it's gotten.