⚡ RangerBoard

⚡ RangerBoard (https://www.rangerboard.com/index.php)
-   FanFiction (https://www.rangerboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fanfiction in the PR Community (Meta) (https://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=182415)

Tanavar April 29th, 2018 01:32 PM

Fanfiction in the PR Community (Meta)

So, I have been following this community for a while, more as a lurker than a poster admittedly.

It seems to me that the PR fanfic community mostly revolves around the same faces. Not to criticize those faces at all, as they are writing great works, but other authors do not seem to find the same traction.

For those of you have have composed your epics, what keeps you going, why do you think your works have stuck around where so many others have a couple of stories and then die out.

For authors who have not composed great epics, have you found this fandom hard to break into? Why did you not continue with your fic?

hasbro_primo April 29th, 2018 01:53 PM

[QUOTE=Tanavar;5572565]It seems to me that the PR fanfic community mostly revolves around the same faces. Not to criticize those faces at all, as they are writing great works, but other authors do not seem to find the same traction.[/QUOTE]
No disrespect intended to them, but most online Power Rangers fans are flakes. They don't follow through on what they take on, they want visibility without earning that visibility, and sadly in most cases, they're just not very good writers. Even their evaluations of canonical works are flawed in some cases.

A good fanfic cannot exist purely through love or purely through skill, it requires equal amounts of both.

GrumpyBookworm April 29th, 2018 02:12 PM

Why didn't I continue with my fic on here? It's more of a mixture of lack of interest and personal preference. I generally prefer fanfiction.net and my fics on there are my priority. I love the characters of Tatreon but I just can't quite get myself invested enough in the story past a certain point. IDK I can be very moody about this stuff. I also view this as a hobby and devote time to writing when I can. I also generally don't care about breaking into the fandom or the amount of views. I just want to get my story and ideas out there. I apologize if this is a mess but I felt like I needed to chime in.

SuperselfieRed April 29th, 2018 07:12 PM

My biggest problem with keeping a PR fanfiction alive is the fact that I primarily deal with short fiction and I tend to get too engrossed in the big picture. I want to tell an epic that spans so many different teams and builts into a tower of overarching storylines. Unfortunately, I have a hard time playing the long game and when I deal with a large period of writer's block I've already disconnected with that universe and can't get back into it.

ShadowRanger April 30th, 2018 12:29 AM

[QUOTE=Ankh Primo;5572573]No disrespect intended to them, but most online Power Rangers fans are flakes. They don't follow through on what they take on, they want visibility without earning that visibility, and sadly in most cases, they're just not very good writers. Even their evaluations of canonical works are flawed in some cases.

A good fanfic cannot exist purely through love or purely through skill, it requires equal amounts of both.[/QUOTE]

Agreed that's why we have the promo/teaser thread. Look how many posts there are in there, how many 'great ideas' that were coming soon and disappeared as soon as people stopped saying this looks great. And that's just the ideas, now think of the fics that got started and they wrote about 1000 words and then abandoned it.
It's not just the bad writers either. There are some really good stories still stored on the old archives like Paladar.com that have never been finished and likely never will be. Some of which ended on a really big cliffhanger.

ShinySephiroth April 30th, 2018 02:11 PM

Contrary to what I have led people to believe through my actions, I plan on finishing my saga I started here (Power Ranger Archives). I have slowed down considerably these past couple of years because of my graduate education and starting a business, but I still work on it from time to time and fully plan on finishing.

The reason I believe I have continued with my story is mainly my fans. Yes I love my story, but if I hadn't received the positive feedback I had I dont know if I would have continued after "book one". I write the story now 50% for me and 50% for the fans. I keep a story bible on my work desk to make sure my continuity stays intact, to show respect to the story's fans who actively try to remember what happened in the past and put the clues together for the story's future.

Another huge aspect for me is the collaboration. A user here on Rangerboard, Ayume Ubi, has been working on a spin-off story with me for the past few years. It's not a HUGE story, but we are both busy and take time out of our days when we can to work the story out. That helps bring the overall story to life.

But the number one collaborative effort has been the Ultra Force/Omega Strike/Cyber Unit RPG that has been here for years. It is a member of my main story's extended universe, but it is its own beast entirely. Working together with fantastic people on that universe has been a blast, and coupling that friendship with that story's connection to my main story is a huge driver for me to keep going.

On that note, if any fans of The Power Ranger Archives are still around and happen upon this post, thank you for your patience! And hopefully when things settle down once I graduate in the next couple of weeks, I'll be more regular with my updates! Perhaps we'll even find some new fans!

Peter April 30th, 2018 04:46 PM

[QUOTE=Ankh Primo;5572573]No disrespect intended to them, but most online Power Rangers fans are flakes. They don't follow through on what they take on, they want visibility without earning that visibility, and sadly in most cases, they're just not very good writers. Even their evaluations of canonical works are flawed in some cases.[/QUOTE]

... [I]ouch[/I] :(.

TyrannoRanger April 30th, 2018 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=Ankh Primo;5572573]No disrespect intended to them, but most online Power Rangers fans are flakes. They don't follow through on what they take on, they want visibility without earning that visibility, and sadly in most cases, they're just not very good writers. Even their evaluations of canonical works are flawed in some cases.

A good fanfic cannot exist purely through love or purely through skill, it requires equal amounts of both.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you hit the nail on the head. I can sit here and list AMAZING fan facs from this site that will blow your fucking mind and I can only think of 1 that actually finished

Do you want the ultimate crossover between all rangers with proper character development and huge repercussions for the various teams? I got you

Do you want the somewhat darker but still MMPR rewrite that actually "ended" on a war between rangers with Jen showing up and meeting the MMPR team that was written years before shattered grid was even a notion? I got you

Do you want a continuation of SPD that shows the team with their new Green Ranger? I got you

Do you want the Operation Overdrive we actually deserved? I got you

I would pay these guys to come back and finish these fics if I could. OP is right. Fanfic on this site has slowly died over the years. It was actually the reason I stayed on rangerboard at first

Tanavar April 30th, 2018 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=TyrannoRanger;5572960]Do you want the somewhat darker but still MMPR rewrite that actually "ended" on a war between rangers with Jen showing up and meeting the MMPR team that was written years before shattered grid was even a notion? I got you

[/QUOTE]

This story was actually the reason I started coming to this site! I thought about it when Shattered Grid happened too

Ravie May 2nd, 2018 10:24 AM

My reasons for finishing - I'm invested in the story, the characters, even the villains. With Alpha it was a rewrite of an rp that I needed to complete. With Samurai Clash, it was my first, and I loved everyone so much that I had to make it to the end.

Reasons for not finishing - lack of time, chronic writer's block, too many new ideas when I haven't even finished the old one, "oh I'll circle back eventually", lack of feedback. That last one is a doozy. I was mainly doing SC and Alpha in a bubble. They were getting done regardless, but other things that I'm struggling to keep my attention on, someone besides my friend Sam, letting know that they're interested and invested in the characters and the stories would go a long way to encourage me to keep at a particular story.

WhiteMystechRanger May 5th, 2018 01:44 AM

For me, multiple factors hit me over the last few years.

I was homeless for a bit, very depressed and when I managed to get my life back together I was on night shift and that consumed my life with weird hours. I have days again and I do want to finish what I started, I am that kind of guy.

My main hurdle is I'm in a difficult spot of writing a grand epic finale and part of me also wants to go back and re write large sections as well. Easy to distract myself with all I've missed in this fandom and others I am interested in. Maybe I'm also over thinking things a bit too, I used to have a lot of fun getting immersed in my series.

I have huge respect for the writers on here who managed to see their stories through to the end.

Claymore May 5th, 2018 08:15 AM

Lack of feedback is the major stumbling block for any new authors posting anything anywhere. When the community started, many would cross-review each other's stories, providing that much needed support structure that many authors need in order to keep going, whether the story in question is complete rubbish or not.

This really doesn't happen much nowadays, and its easy to see why new authors are struggling with gaining exposure and maintaining their drive.

Yes, you can add the usual other factors like a lack of time, writer's block, poor writing skills, massive canonical errors, and the like, but the biggest factor is that lack of support.

Personally, I think that you do no-one any favours just blindly supporting a story that doesn't have any merit, but I do think that the community needs to provide more [b]balanced critique on every story[/b]. If just a dozen people started doing that, it would be a major boost for authors, new and old, and it would also burst that original segregated bubble of authors cross-reviewing only those who reviewed their work.

The fanfiction section should be buzzing ... it's quite sad that it's not.

Cameron Samurai May 6th, 2018 12:39 PM

I've been fortunate enough to get positive feedback, though not always a hell of a lot of reviews or responses. I think most of the time I'm more in love with dialogue than description, so when I have to visualize something, it's very vague, same with conveying emotion for a character. I can understand how some might not see the appeal in conversation and might tire of that style, but it's just something that interests me more. I like a good blether, so write what you know.

I also tend to write fics here that aren't even Power Rangers-related. Not that I can't find anything worthwhile to say about the show, I just like to give the forum some variety and show people they don't have to stick to just Power Rangers even if it's the theme of the board. Some fans of my work even defended the right to post alternative genre fiction here because most of the general discussion is devoted to a wide range of entertainment properties.

BrownRangerKev May 8th, 2018 07:12 AM

Very good topic. For me, I am deeply invested in the characters I've created and I must see it through. I've thought about quitting every day since it started in 2011 but I can't just abandon everything at this point. SO if you ever realize I haven't posted in months, I've likely died. Cause I'm finishing my fic, through Hell or highwater.

Another thing that helps immensely is the feedback. It either drives me to push forward more quickly or discourages me if I see nothing after pouring my heart into the last chapter. I used to get a lot more feedback, but I think that's the case for everyone in this forum. I get a lot of lurkers. But it'd be nice if they just logged on and typed a brief response, even if it's to say that it sucked or that Robbie Clemente is a Gary Stu.

I'm really thankful that I have at least a core group of commenters. Many don't even have that.

I used to cross review more often, but now I both don't have the time to read other works and don't have too many works to read. But if it helps the community as a whole, I can make the effort to comment and encourage others to continue writing/comment on other works. I'm totally down for it!

[QUOTE=WhiteMystechRanger;5575050]For me, multiple factors hit me over the last few years.

I was homeless for a bit, very depressed and when I managed to get my life back together I was on night shift and that consumed my life with weird hours. I have days again and I do want to finish what I started, I am that kind of guy.

My main hurdle is I'm in a difficult spot of writing a grand epic finale and part of me also wants to go back and re write large sections as well. Easy to distract myself with all I've missed in this fandom and others I am interested in. Maybe I'm also over thinking things a bit too, I used to have a lot of fun getting immersed in my series.

I have huge respect for the writers on here who managed to see their stories through to the end.[/QUOTE]

Dude. So sorry to hear that. I hope things have straightened out for your own good. Hope to see the finale to Scottish Sentai and am hoping for at at least one last cameo before my story wraps up. :)

[QUOTE=Cameron Samurai;5575454]I've been fortunate enough to get positive feedback, though not always a hell of a lot of reviews or responses. I think [B]most of the time I'm more in love with dialogue than description, so when I have to visualize something, it's very vague, same with conveying emotion for a character.[/B] I can understand how some might not see the appeal in conversation and might tire of that style, but it's just something that interests me more. I like a good blether, so write what you know.

I also tend to write fics here that aren't even Power Rangers-related. Not that I can't find anything worthwhile to say about the show, I just like to give the forum some variety and show people they don't have to stick to just Power Rangers even if it's the theme of the board. Some fans of my work even defended the right to post alternative genre fiction here because most of the general discussion is devoted to a wide range of entertainment properties.[/QUOTE]

You and I think alike. It's actually why I write in a script format, so that I can focus on flow and dialogue. Honestly though, I feel this format has hindered me from more views and reviews, as most people likely prefer story format.

Nevertheless, I persist.

Cameron Samurai May 8th, 2018 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=BrownRangerKev;5576199]You and I think alike. It's actually why I write in a script format, so that I can focus on flow and dialogue. Honestly though, I feel this format has hindered me from more views and reviews, as most people likely prefer story format.

Nevertheless, I persist.[/QUOTE]

Don't sell yourself too short, your style is definitely embraced here and you've had lots of reactions in your thread.

BrownRangerKev May 8th, 2018 08:34 AM

[QUOTE=Cameron Samurai;5576220]Don't sell yourself too short, your style is definitely embraced here and you've had lots of reactions in your thread.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cameron! I guess it's just in my nature to be hyper critical of my work. Kind words are always nice to hear though.

WhiteMystechRanger May 8th, 2018 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=BrownRangerKev;5576222]Thanks Cameron! I guess it's just in my nature to be hyper critical of my work. Kind words are always nice to hear though.[/QUOTE]

Your story has always been top notch Kev!

Plus your consistency is second to none.

BrownRangerKev May 8th, 2018 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=WhiteMystechRanger;5576290]Your story has always been top notch Kev!

Plus your consistency is second to none.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man. It's deeply appreciated! I can't wait for more updates on your series too. It definitely inspires me when I need to go dark, as admittedly it's not my something that comes natural to me. Your characters are very well developed with relatable motives and reactions to situations. You've really built a solid universe with an underrated gem.

I totally dig Hannah too. I don't know if that wasn't clear enough. :P

I'll also definitely be making more of an effort to comment on yours and other works moving forward. I'd love to do my part to inspire more action on this forum. It was in reading some work here years back that inspired me to try my own.

DragonBuckler7 May 8th, 2018 08:15 PM

Well I wrote a original story on here that contained Toku cameos within it. I finished it too. [url]https://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?p=5386050[/url] (Shameless plug aside) The issues I've come across are the following:

1: I was new to writing and the early chapters are plagued with poor grammar. And strangely the focus of the story changes somewhat midway in.

2: It it difficult to write Ranger like stories. Keeping track of how many characters are within the scene is tedious and a lot to write. You are basically writing fighting and dialogue scenes for each character and God save you if you want to interject meaning within these fight scenes. Toku does not translate well into writing as the genre is naturally a visual spectacle.

3. Writing is not easy. It is just not.

4. When you write a lot and nobody to few people read your work is heart breaking. I'd kill for a "you suck" comment simply because it means somebody actually took the time to read it. I am into instant gratification damn it!

5. Nothing we are writing is inherently "new." So yeah

Cameron Samurai May 9th, 2018 09:08 AM

It's just occurred to me my Danger Mouse fics here get way more views than my PR ones.