RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Discussion Forums > FanFiction

Old November 29th, 2004, 07:15 PM   #1
krispynot
mrchrisphillips.com

Mighty Moshin Emo Rangers Thread

Hello! Over the next few (60 or so..) pages you'll be able to take a behind the scenes look at how Mighty Moshin Emo Rangers went from being a small joke, into... a small joke that just got so much more attention than we were expecting! THANK YOU to RangerBoard and all the people that run it, the RangerBoard members, and all the new myspace crew who've now joined And a big thanks to everyone whos helped make it So read on for a brief history of Emo Rangers:

--------------------------------------------------------

Me and Nick are creating a spoof of Power Rangers mixed with Emo Rock called "Mighty Moshin Emo Rangers".

For those who arent familiar with the teen angst heart bleeding screams and monotone straight laced fashions of Emo Rock check here and here . Heck there's even an Emo game ... but there's never been an "Emo Rangers" and that's why we're making one.

EDIT: VIEW THE NEW EMO RANGERS TRAILER!!!

EDIT: CHECK OUT THE NEW WWW.EMORANGERS.COM WEBSITE!

UPDATE: GO GO EMO RANGERS - THE NEW THEME TUNE!!!

UPDATE: Here's the first emo rangers poster. More coming soon!

Cheers

Chris Phillips
"Mighty Moshin Emo Ranger"

Last edited by krispynot; August 3rd, 2005 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added new trailer!
krispynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 03:48 AM   #2
deacon shields
Genocide? Yes plz.

first off, very cool videos...i only wish being emo got you hot chicks like in that video.

no script ideas or anything for you, way too consumed with all my film projects, but ill see about coming up with some stuff. pm me whenever.
deacon shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 06:23 AM   #3
krispynot
mrchrisphillips.com

hey deacon,

i check ur films online. some cool stuff there! keep up the good work
Old December 1st, 2004, 01:56 AM   #4
deacon shields
Genocide? Yes plz.

thanks man, we started up on another tonight, it should be up sometime in the next couple of weeks. you should have all the rangers have bleeding hearts on their suits though, that would just be very fitting.
Old December 1st, 2004, 07:39 AM   #5
krispynot
mrchrisphillips.com

ha ha, yeah i think the bleeding hearts thing is a must. im gonna start making the first test helmet tonight. i shall post pictures! then maybe more than one person will look at this forum. hee hee.

its a wire and paper mache job, so dont get too excited!

im also thinking black is a must.
Old December 1st, 2004, 09:02 AM   #6
deacon shields
Genocide? Yes plz.

never underestimate wire and paper mache, it can work wonders lol

black is a must indeed. im kind of thinking have the colors be like an undershirt/thermal kind of thing, with everyone wearing black tops with red bleeding hearts, i dunno, just brainstorming
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:32 AM   #7
krispynot
mrchrisphillips.com

Ok here's the first foray into the Emo Ranger World. Today during my lunchbreak (i'm a graphic designer/video editor) I had a stab at creating a test Emo Ranger helmet. Observe:

1. Using pipe-cleaners I create the rough shape I think the helmet is.
2. Once i've done the back and front bits, i sorta bend them about so the edges roughly match up. We dont want the emo rangers getting their hair caught...
3. Yeah that fits my oversize head, so the teenagers who are playing the parts should fit in them easily.
4. Next I cover it in masking tape to reinforce it and I figure putting wet newspaper onto soft fluffy pipecleaners would be a disaster. So thats that sorted.
5. Only had time to do the back part, as lunch ran out. But tomorrow lunch I'll finish the first layer and move onto the front bit.

Ok, here's the design for the Mega Emo Zord.

Right more updates coming soon!

Cheers

Chris Phillips
Mighty Moshing Emo Ranger
Old December 1st, 2004, 12:12 PM   #8
JaimeZeo
The J stands for Jueki.

Is it wrong that the Mega Emo Zord resembles half the kids in my college?
JaimeZeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 12:17 PM   #9
krispynot
mrchrisphillips.com

Wait, Jamie... are you saying that Mega Emo Zord isnt original? Like, he writes deep and meaningful poetry and listens to the coolest bands. He's like SO deep ya'know...
Old December 1st, 2004, 01:42 PM   #10
krispynot
mrchrisphillips.com

Emo Rangers: FIRST VIDEO TESTS

Ok right, moving on, here are the first video tests for Mighty Moshin Emo Rangers. The first is a 3D rendered version of the Mega Emo Zord. We still need to work on the model, and the animation, but it's looking promising.

Mega Emo Zord: Test Animation .WMV

The second is a test of the technique me and Nick came up with on how to do slow motion bullet time style kung fu kicks. Took ages to figure this one out, but it works really well, u can even do it with the camera moving. (Check the links up top for those)

Kung Fu Emo Kick: Test Animation .WMV

All we really need now are some Emo Ranger actors, the finished script (I already have most of the ideas, just gotta jot them down!) and the locations.

Onwards and upwards...

Chris Phillips
Old December 1st, 2004, 03:54 PM   #11
Cmdr Crayfish
Draconian Tyrant

I think you might want to consider doing this as a comic instead of a live-action project, just by virtue of the fact that the lack of a budget hurts the idea more than anything. Yeah, Emo isn't about spending a lot on appearance, but putting together a kick-ass episode of PR costs a pretty penny. Fanfilms are (rightfully) usually derided in this fandom, and I think a lot of good ideas become grist for the mill because of it.

The Emozord is actually quite cool looking. I just can't imagine that same kind of humor keeping together in a live-action project, I guess. I mean, best of luck, sincerely? That's just my personal feelings on the matter.
Cmdr Crayfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 04:13 PM   #12
JaimeZeo
The J stands for Jueki.

Ha ha I take it back: the kids in my college wish they were half as cool as Mega Emo Zord!

Wait, do Emo's wish to be cool? Or would that be going against the sacred Emo code? Baaaaah...

And that kick is the single most funkiest thing in history... I'm, like, so looking forward to more of this!
JaimeZeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 04:47 PM   #13
krispynot
mrchrisphillips.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr Crayfish
I think you might want to consider doing this as a comic instead of a live-action project, just by virtue of the fact that the lack of a budget hurts the idea more than anything. Yeah, Emo isn't about spending a lot on appearance, but putting together a kick-ass episode of PR costs a pretty penny. Fanfilms are (rightfully) usually derided in this fandom, and I think a lot of good ideas become grist for the mill because of it.
Cmdr Crayfish: My oath to you: I absolutley will not stop until I have a "kick ass" episode of power rangers that YOU enjoy. If I have to burn my children alive to prove it, then so be it.

I made that spoof matrix fight scene when i was 17, it cost £5 and it got broadcast on TV in the UK. It then went on to win the National Student TV Award. Since then I've directed some music promos for MTV. And there's nothing like a good challange. Sure some people might not like it, but I've never really worried about that. Emo Rangers: POWER UP! (and thanks for your comments)

p.s I think it's also fair to say, although fan films get a good kicking, there's some absolutly terrible written fan fiction out there. It usually starts like "Casey McTroy sauntered down the high school corridoor, her wavey blonde hair fluttering in the breeze from the air-con as she paced across the shiney green tiles with her brand new flowery sandles. She approached the row of lockers, and reached into her pockets, pulling out a small silver key that reflected shimmers of silver across her smooth face. Her deep blue eyes met with the familiar lock and she moved the key forward. Clunk. The key twisted in the rusty lock. Just then a baboon came running down the hallway screaming "CUT TO THE FUCKING CHASE!!!!!!" and killed her with one swipe of its hairy palms."

Last edited by krispynot; December 1st, 2004 at 07:27 PM.
Old December 1st, 2004, 04:54 PM   #14
krispynot
mrchrisphillips.com

Introspective Emo Ranger Black
Chaos Mohawk Emo Ranger Red
Chronic Stoner Emo Ranger Green
Bleeding Heart Emo Ranger Pink
Weeping Tears Emo Ranger Yellow

What do we all think?

Nick "Expert Prop Maker" Pittom is coming over tomorrow at some point to begin work on the five emo ranger helmets. Then we are recruiting WAR HAMMER model maker Chris Moore (if my number for him is right still) to begin work on the minature sets.

Mohawk helmet, obvious. Stoner one has a hemp leaf for a visor. Weeping Tears has one big white tear under her visor. Introspective is gonna be black and white we think, and Bleeding Heart probably a heart shape visor!
Old December 1st, 2004, 08:57 PM   #15
Cuiran
Nat'l Forest Ranger Power

A heart with a crack down the middle.
Cuiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 04:23 AM   #16
deacon shields
Genocide? Yes plz.

it kills me that you are in the UK. if we lived in the same area, oh the films we could make. youve got to let me in on the secrets of the Kung Fu Emo Kick! e-mail me/pm me.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 05:29 AM   #17
krispynot
mrchrisphillips.com

Hey Deacon,

Yeah would be good. Well hows about making a US/UK show sometime? Perhaps future episodes (if they happen) of Emo Rangers could have a US link up some how. You can shoot and edit some footage with say an extra ranger, and I could do the morphed bits and help out with the special fx If the US can jack footage from a Japanese show and edit it together, then I'm sure we could figure something out as well!

All I'll say about the special fx FOR NOW is that if you filmed the parts, exported the frames into photoshop, then you COULD make it frame by frame by putting the parts together. Infact that's a good way to start doing special fx as it teaches you about what animates well and what doesnt and it's not too far away from how we actually did it. There's a little more to it than that, but I wont say too much yet hint:Japanese Ping Pong anyone?
Old December 2nd, 2004, 03:39 PM   #18
deacon shields
Genocide? Yes plz.

ah, a us/uk power rangers crossover. it would be heavenly. and i will start studying the kung fu emo kick!
Old December 2nd, 2004, 04:15 PM   #19
krispynot
mrchrisphillips.com

Ok helmets stage 2.

Nick came over and used his prop making knowledge to make a better helmet in about half the time. Cardboard strips are the best to use apparently. Here's some pics:

1. Measure head and make guide with cardboard, tape and staples.
2. Start adding more strips.
3. Build up to helmet like structure.
4. Yup nice one Nick. That's tons better than my attempt!
5. Now we put tape on to smooth it all out ready for paper mache.
6. Rip up strips of newspaper and coat with PVA glue for that strong shiny look.
7. Leave to dry and repeat.

The powers are nearly complete!

Introspective Emo Ranger Black
Bleeding Heart Emo Ranger Pink
Chronic Stoner Emo Ranger Green
Weeping Tears Emo Ranger Yellow
Chaos Mohawk Emo Ranger Red

Mighty Moshin Emo Rangers POWER UP!!!

Now to find our teenagers!!!
Old December 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM   #20
Splush
I live to fight

Interesting..

Edit: I just finished reading the whole thing!!!

Wow this is awesome!!! I so hope you stay committed to this...I just have a few questions..,

1) How long are the episodes going to be?...and how many are their going to be?
2) Will the characters be realistic?...Or is this some type of spoof?
3) Lastly, what format is this going to be available to download in?
Splush is offline   Reply With Quote