4 - Good 40 28.99%
5 - Excellent 16 11.59%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 29th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #161
PiratesxAngels
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenotome View Post
But that's not how they're going to do it. They're going to morph into the Megaforce suits and then they'll morph again into Super Megaforce suits. This still does not answer the self-imposed question of WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS? Why are the Super Megaforce powers not powers on their own? Why do they need to be accessed through other powers? They created their own unnecessary problem. It's like if to get to Turbo Zordon first made them morph into Zeo. THERE IS NO REASON.
That's the point that's like, How is it Megarangers turn into In Space. We didn't understand until years later. We don't know how the morph is going to look, and we aren't to have to wait and see.
PiratesxAngels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #162
TheTerrorToad87
I almost won...
eBay

Was that outdoor amphitheater they were in the same one from MMPR? Like in A Pressing Engagement?
TheTerrorToad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #163
PiratesxAngels
Power Ranger

Quote:
Megaranger didn't turn into In Space. They took a motif and rocked their own spin on it. That's why In Space happened.

I don't give a shit how the morph is going to look. That's not my issue. My issue is the very idea that the Megaforce powers have to remain. That they first have to morph into the Megaforce Rangers first and not just as part of a stock footage morph, but as part of actual ground footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...lPrT0e6Wg#t=34
We don't know that's the whole point.
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #164
PiratesxAngels
Power Ranger

Quote:
I. Do. Not. Care.

Whatever explanation they'll give is self-imposed. It doesn't need to be there. THEY don't need to be there. They should be able to move on from those suits and not have to use them as a base suit when they have the ability to change into them at any time they want.
I don't care about the suits. I care about a story that I can enjoy. If they do it well enough or do it fantastically then I wont bitch and crap over it. I have bitched and craped over the suit situation already, and I am over it and I am going to watch and if it is done well or amazingly then I wont have any problem with it.
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #165
Titanium321

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
The plot for the season is alright on the macro level, but on the micro level - the small things in the characters' daily lives - just isn't cutting it. This is because the episodes are so choked by Sentai footage that they rarely have time to give us civilian scenes. This episode is one of the few that has, and even then it has the same wonky writing that's been part of the Saban Brands era.
But the driving plot of the episodes with new toys usually doesn't come down to "Hey new toy" but "___ learned a lesson/overcame an obstacle today and got a new toy". So you still sort of get development in those episodes, it's not the best writing in the world, but not the worst either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue&goldranger View Post
Well let me give an example of what I mean regarding plot--- Samurai for example besides having the generic "good vs evil" theme had plotlines involving treachery and betrayal among the evil lieutenants,
Vrak and Creepox? Vrak and everyone else seemingly?

Quote:
the whole saga of Decker and the Red Ranger,
Creepox's rivalry, albeit rushed, with Troy? Followed by Troy's determination to win over Robo Knight?

Quote:
the whole "mystery" the red ranger was keeping to himself
The Legend War dream?

Quote:
the friendship with antonio, antonio building the zords, the relationship of the team with mentor Ji, the tragic relationship between Decker and Dayu, Red Ranger, his sister and leadership of the team in the second season, and of course the misadventures of Bulk and Spike. The point is there was more going on beneath the surface than just "let's beat up the bad guys". Because power rangers is a formulaic program of course they are going to have the monster and megazord sequence every episode, but there was an overall story arc that was being advanced throughout the season. That goes triple for Samurai's predecessor RPM which perhaps was one of the most tightly scripted seasons the series ever had.
This still kind of overlooks the fact there is more to Megaforce after Goseiger ends. So you can't really compare a series only a fourth of the way in to a whole series worth of story.

What was the overall story arc in Samurai? Not just the bigger multi episode story arcs, but the bigger overall arc? Right now Megaforce has Vrak up to something and the hints at the Mega Battle coming up. So there is an ongoing arc, the point is its still ongoing, even when Goseiger footage ends.

Quote:
My comment is that in this respect MegaForce so far seems to come up short. It's extremely shallow even for a kid's show. The mystery of the Red Ranger's recurring dream where he sees the battle involving all the other power rangers has never been picked up again. We know next to nothing about Gosei and Tensou, the comedy arcs involving the new Ernie and the Science Professor were inexplicably dropped, the arc involving the crush the black ranger has on the yellow ranger was also mysteriously dropped. All we know about the girls is that one likes shopping and the other likes butterflies. The only thing that is going on from one ep to another is the formulaic punch fest. While no one will ever confuse Power Rangers with Shakespeare I honestly expected more from an anniversary season. The season doesn't seem to have been thought out very well. Let's hope the series picks up some serious momentum near the end of the season leading into Super MegaForce.
The dream mystery has been picked up. It's just not the focus every episode but it was one of the driving factors for Troy to get Robo Knight to join them. Because he saw him in the dream.

Sure, we don't know much about Gosei and Tensou, I will give you that. But do we really need to? They are the alert system for the Rangers, did we know much about Zordon 12 episodes into MMPR?

Fuck the comedy side plots. That is the best move they made dropping comedic side plots for supporting characters. They still get time on screen, just not focus. The point of a supporting cast is to support the main cast, not supplement their time in the story.

Jake's crush hasn't been dropped at all. It's still popping up, hell it popped up in this episode. He was overreacting just because Gia got sucked up, he almost didn't notice anyone else was taken as well. He consistently gives her more attention and gets rebuffed every time. It's always a theme in the focus episodes for those two.

We know quite a bit about the girls. A lot more than shopping and butterflies. We get an insight into why they are friends. Heck we got a dead mother from one of them and a weird abusing a guy friend's crush from the other.

Look back at the first 12 episodes of any PR series, how much do we really know about any of the characters? Heck even in some of the greatly written series we still don't know much about all the rangers. Trip was an alien and naïve, that about sums up his development. Flynn was Scottish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
The problem with Megaforce is, again, that the "highlight" episodes from Goseiger devote so much of their time to getting to the next toy that these rare one-off episodes are our only hope for anything resembling proper characterization.
Megaforce as a name as far as marketing goes isn't a bad choice. It's easy, it's vague enough that you can't instantly associate it with anything else, it sounds powerful which is ultimately the point, and chances are the name was developed with the Gokaiger series adaptation in mind. Meaning the whole history of Power Rangers was a Mega Force.

It's not the best name in the world, but it works well for marketing.

Guardians would actually be a worse word to use because it's not vague enough and doesn't have a sense of power to it. Plus it seems redundant if Power Rangers are already associated with guardians of the earth anyway.

Also you have guardians associated with other kids products such as Rise of the Guardians, at the moment, so it may not be a great move to use that word for a while.

Megaforce is basically just a buzzword name that can be easily associated with the product, nothing wrong with that but it's not the best work they could have done.
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #166
Peter
AN ORANGE RANGER?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTerrorToad87 View Post
Was that outdoor amphitheater they were in the same one from MMPR? Like in A Pressing Engagement?
I don't think it was the same one, but that amphitheatre has been popping up in a lot of Goseiger/Megaforce episodes lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium321 View Post
The dream mystery has been picked up. It's just not the focus every episode but it was one of the driving factors for Troy to get Robo Knight to join them...
... for one episode. When was the last time the dreams were even mentioned? Hell, when was it last mentioned in real time? April?

Quote:
Look back at the first 12 episodes of any PR series, how much do we really know about any of the characters?
I could watch MMPR, NS, DT or RPM and tell you a lot about the characters from the first 12 episodes. A darn side more than I could about Emma or Troy or Noah.
Peter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #167
Guy121
Yes That Guy

These just feel like MMPR style filler episodes to me.
Guy121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #168
Akumaru
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I don't think it was the same one, but that amphitheatre has been popping up in a lot of Goseiger/Megaforce episodes lately.
They really could made some changes because instead they decide to keep wth the Goseiger plot in this episode of Megaforce.

Quote:
... for one episode. When was the last time the dreams were even mentioned? Hell, when was it last mentioned in real time? April?
Truth, they could easy me Troy make more references about is dreams, or they are saving that for Super Megaforce

Quote:
I could watch MMPR, NS, DT or RPM and tell you a lot about the characters from the first 12 episodes. A darn side more than I could about Emma or Troy or Noah.
I think normal during the First Episodes they come with some develoment for the Rangers in others seasons, and later develoment some rangers, but i think the Megaforce rangers need more develoment, now we have the Robot Knight which was more develoment in 4 episodes, and the rangers in 11 episodes dont have much develoment.
Akumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #169
Titanium321

Quote:
So like two days story time? Yes, it was mentioned in April, and then there was a hiatus. Air time and story time don't correlate here.

This really just sounds more like your problem is it's not to your standard. They aren't talking about it every episode, or every minute, so it's just not happening. That's what you're making it sound like right now.

The dream was mentioned when Robo Knight was revealed, and it was a driving reason for Troy to get him on their side because of his dream. Then the arc was them getting him to join them, then the Wild Sword which included a small reference to the dream when Troy was staring at the keys. There just hasn't been time or reason to go back to it for the last few episodes, but chances are we will see it again. You're acting like it's never coming back.

Quote:
Then please, do so. Tell me what you can get about the characters in the first 12 episodes. I will give you RPM, since the first 12 episodes are origin stories for the Rangers and Dr. K. But even after that, we don't learn much more about the characters.

What exactly more do you need to know about them to make watching their exploits as Power Rangers more enjoyable?
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #170
shoujoaifan01
Power Ranger

Quote:
I. Do. Not. Care.

Whatever explanation they'll give is self-imposed. It doesn't need to be there. THEY don't need to be there. They should be able to move on from those suits and not have to use them as a base suit when they have the ability to change into them at any time they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesxAngels View Post
I don't care about the suits. I care about a story that I can enjoy. If they do it well enough or do it fantastically then I wont bitch and crap over it. I have bitched and craped over the suit situation already, and I am over it and I am going to watch and if it is done well or amazingly then I wont have any problem with it.
.....you're both correct?

No, seriously, while good writing can always triumphant over unnecessary stuff like redundant morphs, unnecessary stuff is always unnecessary. You're both correct, SuperMegaforce can be either horrible or great, regardless of the Goseiger suits, and the Goseiger suits are unnecessary, regardless of the quality of writing.

Honestly, its the fact the writing is only recently getting slightly better over time, that's its still So Bad Its Good most of the time, compared to its legitamate Good moments, is a bigger concern. The redundant Goseiger suits are the just tip of an iceberg of wasted potential, a sympton that can make the other symptons worse, rather than the problem that started it in the first place.
shoujoaifan01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #171
GokaiGold
Praise the moon

It's really not hard to understand what he meant by that Titanium. For example you get more out of Conner, Ethan, and Kira in 5 episodes just based on how they bounce off each other. Megaforce has that potential with their own characters but they rarely make time for it.

I won't complain about the dream until I see if it adds anything besides setting up the mega war but that is a missed opportunity. It doesn't help that Troy is such a blank slate that he rarely seems affected by it. This could be easily helped if we saw Troy ask questions or talk to the other characters about it, something.
GokaiGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #172
FalconFlyer
Lights of Orion Activate!

Its true that most PR seasons don't have all that much character development (most only develop 2 or 3 and the others remain more or less the same) and even in the case of the RPM rangers a majority of their character development is from their specialized back stories, however thanks to those episodes we still got to learn something significant about each ranger that was not in his/her original character bio, how they ended up as rangers, who they were before, basically we got to feel like we really met them. And most rangers from past seasons got at least one significant focus episode where we got to learn something new about them.

however the real problem with megaforce is that so far the focus of nearly every episode has been just teamwork, the environment, Robo Knight's teamwork, or last week's bizarre sense of humour, but none of the rangers have had any focus episodes that actually deal with them learning something significant or allow us to learn something new about them that we didn't know before. Right now the most we got is Emma's mother, Emma being friends with Gia since they were children, and in the case of Jake and Noah Jake was basically the cool one while Noah was the Nerdy one, but that's more or less it so far, this might change in the next episode where Emma's dreams get stolen but so far we really haven't learned much about these characters since the show started. of course it still has about 30 episodes to fix that

admittedly another problem is that most of us are used to a 30 episode season where by the 12 episode mark at least a few rangers have had a significant focus episode, and there's also the fact that megaforce has been on the air for about 8 months now and in the past most seasons aired a significant chunk of their episodes by this point but of course Megaforce is about a quarter in so far so that is something to consider as well.

basically to summarize, PR usually doesn't have all that much Character development most characters come in and go out almost exactly the same, some might mature a little bit more, others might learn to relax a bit more, some may gain some more confidence but its not like they have any significant changes or epiphanies, however what megaforce really needs to do right now is teach us something new about their characters something we didnt know about them before even if its just an elaboration on what we already know, and this is something past seasons have done (which is where Megaforce is actually lacking though it still has a good 30 episodes to go)

Last edited by FalconFlyer; September 30th, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
FalconFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #173
SmashZ
Power Ranger

Quote:
Maybe they'll want to make it clear that it's a power up, like the Thunder Zords always transforming from the original Zords?
SmashZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #174
Kachidoki_Arms
Fun with Flags!
eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTerrorToad87 View Post
Quote:
No, that's Toei's Ampitheatre from their theme park.
Actually, it is the same place. Off the top of my head, I can remember it appearing in Zyuranger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters, Kamen Rider W & Kamen Rider Fourze.

It also appeared in the Goseiger episode that was adapted for Megaforce's "Harmony & Dizchord."

Kachidoki_Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 04:23 AM   #175
Akumaru
Power Ranger

^ Super Sentais and Power Rangers used a lot of much of the same scenarios or places to filming.
Akumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 04:33 AM   #176
Peter
AN ORANGE RANGER?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium321 View Post
This really just sounds more like your problem is it's not to your standard. They aren't talking about it every episode, or every minute, so it's just not happening. That's what you're making it sound like right now.
Then yes. It's in the opening credits. It's the very first thing the audience was shown of this season. They used it in promo material at a morphicon or whatever, to hype up the season ... and then they mention it, what, four times?

Yes. I do consider that a failing. Clearly you don't.
Peter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 07:07 AM   #177
Aquaslash
Super Mega Time!
eBay

I have to admit, I was rolling at the fart bit. It wasn't that he farted, but how he led into it. He basically pulled the "DBZ power up into a fart", which for me, makes it funnier than it has any right to be.

Quote:
I am going to be so pissed if Gosei just pulls these powers out of his ass like he's had them for ages.
IIRC, the press release says exactly that.

Last edited by Aquaslash; October 1st, 2013 at 07:07 AM.
Aquaslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:42 AM   #178
Titanium321

Quote:
Then yes. It's in the opening credits. It's the very first thing the audience was shown of this season. They used it in promo material at a morphicon or whatever, to hype up the season ... and then they mention it, what, four times?

Yes. I do consider that a failing. Clearly you don't.
Because it's more about the second half of the series. You don't spend every episode foreshadowing, that ultimately ruins the ending and the journey to get there. Let them have some time to develop and entertain the audience before getting the history of Power Rangers dropped on them.

For the moment, there is a bigger immediate story to tell, so the dreams aren't as important even though we as older fans know exactly what they are referring to, the kids don't.
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:58 AM   #179
HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

I believe that amphitheatre may have been in OOO too. It's just one of the many re-used locations. Like how half the battles in Sentai and Kamen Rider seem to magically re-locate to outside Tokyo Stadium not long after transforming.
HowlingSnail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 06:24 PM   #180
Gone Rampant
El. Psy. Congroo

Troy has been upgraded. XD

This was middle of the road- some funny jokes, some lame jokes, but Troy's getting better at this emoting thing.

Maybe for Christmas, we can get them all new clothes. They either buy en masse or they *really* need a shower right now.
Gone Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fart joke *fart!*, sixth doctor clown, troy has been upgraded.